PDA

View Full Version : Fast as fast can be!

Brock Samson
2009-08-27, 05:57 PM
Curious: if you wanted to travel as fast as you could, however are not able to teleport, and needed to move 5 other party members as well, how would you do it? You are 22nd level, have access to 9th level Wizard and Druid spells, and there's a cleric in your party with access to 9th level cleric spells. You need to travel maybe 3,000 miles, maybe more.

One thought: Phantom Stags/Phantom Mounts for everyone! 300ft/round movement, plus flying, means pretty darn fast. Add the spell Cloud Wings on, and Traveler's Mount (but can you add traveler's mount to a Phantom Creature?). 300+30+20 = 350ft movement, and can hustle endlessly.

Other ideas?

NEO|Phyte
2009-08-27, 05:59 PM
Wind Walk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/windWalk.htm) gets you 600'

Forbiddenwar
2009-08-27, 06:05 PM
ah, but you need to be level 50 to make it by 1 casting. (3000 miles) what metamagic feats can cut that down?

NEO|Phyte
2009-08-27, 06:07 PM
ah, but you need to be level 50 to make it by 1 casting. (3000 miles) what metamagic feats can cut that down?

Phantom Steed'd need multiple castings too, Extend Spell would get you down to needing CL 25 to Wind Walk in one casting, does your cleric have any CL boosters?

Eldariel
2009-08-27, 06:09 PM

Extend Spell? 60mph, you need 50 hours for 3000 miles. By default, you have CL 22 and add to that Orange Prism Ioun Stone, Magical Tattoo [SpC], Archmage Spell Power and you're at CL 25, the level needed to Extend Wind Walk.

Use Beads of Karma for some extra and Ankh of Ascension [MiC] or any class features; this allows you to breach 30 effortlessly meaning you'll have distance to spare. But yeah, Extended at CL 25 Wind Walk will do it. If really needed, you could use Wish to generate the CL boosters necessary. That will bite you in the XP though - I trust a level 22 party does have its CL boosters already though so that's a non-issue.

Keewatin
2009-08-27, 07:16 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/treeStride.htm

Tree stride can get a druid carrying others (bag of holding with an air source) can move up to 3,000 feet a round. So while more complex can get you there faster if circumstances allow.

Skorj
2009-08-27, 07:22 PM
Hire a long line of peasants to hand you space to space as a standard action? 3000 miles is what, 3 million peasants? At 1 sp/day, that would cost less than WBL for a modest level, and you get there in 1 round. Ablative re-entry shield optional. :smallbiggrin:

Leewei
2009-08-27, 07:45 PM
If wind walk makes you subject to air currents, maybe boost the speed a bit using control wind?

woodenbandman
2009-08-27, 07:48 PM
Be Chuck? You're an epic cleric, you can probably hold a persistent Footsteps of the Divine.

Voice of Reason
2009-08-27, 11:01 PM
Well, Pun-pun qualifies for "unlimited" movespeed...but I'm certain you're trying to be reasonable about this. I would suggest, as others have, a Wind Walk or two.

Kol Korran
2009-08-28, 06:44 AM
first of all, you have wish, limited wish and miracle. you can just "poof" yourself there, teleportation available or not.

if this isn;t viable for some reason, i'd suggest you ask your DM if wind walk can work with shadow walk towards greater speed- you're now moving on shadow winds, no? each spells theoretically increases your spedd for different reasons, and the speed listed for shadow walk assumes you're walking if i'm not mistaken.
worth a check

Kol.

Cyclocone
2009-08-28, 07:02 AM
Tree stride can get a druid carrying others (bag of holding with an air source) can move up to 3,000 feet a round. So while more complex can get you there faster if circumstances allow.

Ahh, but it's still Conjuration (Teleportation)

Instead, have the druid cast Master Earth (SpC).:smallsmile:

Ponce
2009-08-28, 07:05 AM
Shadow walk gets your party going at 50mph.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-28, 07:18 AM
Hire a wizard that can teleport?

Buy transportation?

Chrono22
2009-08-28, 07:29 AM
Commoner railgun. Of course, the logistics of having that many commoners line up just to transport things/people would be a nightmare.

Ok, here's what I would actually do:
Wizard fills a bag of holding/portable hole with water. Someone casts water breathing on all of the party members except the wizard and druid. All party members except the druid and the wizard enter the extradimensional space.
The wizard casts Shadow Walk, and takes the druid with him. The druid kills the wizard. He then transforms the wizard into something portable via *polymorph. Perhaps a hat. He puts on the wizard-hat, so that the wizard is at all times in contact with his head.
He then casts Tree Stride. He can now travel at (by prime material plane distances) 325,000 feet per round. Or, 61.553 miles per round. That's about ten miles a second. In the course of an hour, said druid could travel a distance of 36,931 miles. In the course of a day he could travel a total of 886,363 miles.
Afterward, resurrect the wizard. Or keep him as a hat, whatever.

*I just realized that polymorph is only a wizard spell. That does make things a little harder. Maybe creative use of rope would be a decent solution. I don't know how a druid would feel about carrying around a dead body for a day though.

Tyger
2009-08-28, 08:32 AM
Commoner railgun. Of course, the logistics of having that many commoners line up just to transport things/people would be a nightmare.

Wizard fills a bag of holding/portable hole with water. Someone casts water breathing on all of the party members except the wizard and druid. All party members except the druid and the wizard enter the extradimensional space.
The wizard casts Shadow Walk, and takes the druid with him. The druid kills the wizard. He then transforms the wizard into something portable via *polymorph. Perhaps a hat. He puts on the wizard-hat, so that the wizard is at all times in contact with his head.
He then casts Tree Stride. He can now travel at (by prime material plane distances) 325,000 feet per round. Or, 61.553 miles per round. That's about ten miles a second. In the course of an hour, said druid could travel a distance of 36,931 miles. In the course of a day he could travel a total of 886,363 miles.

*I just realized that polymorph is only a wizard spell. That does make things a little harder. Maybe creative use of rope would be a decent solution. I don't know how a druid would feel about carrying around a dead body for a day though.

From a sheer morbid sense of curiousity, why are you killing the wizard and turning him/her into a hat??? As opposed to, perhaps, having the wizard step into the bag of holding?????

Chrono22
2009-08-28, 08:36 AM
From a sheer morbid sense of curiousity, why are you killing the wizard and turning him/her into a hat??? As opposed to, perhaps, having the wizard step into the bag of holding?????
Because physical contact must be maintained between the wizard and the druid for the druid to be able to navigate the plane of shadow. Otherwise the druid gets lost and winds up in a random location on the prime.
Since tree stride is a self only spell, he can't take others with him physically. Since the wizard's dead body counts as an object, the druid can take him.

truemane
2009-08-28, 08:38 AM

It's the old Divine Magic vs Arcane Magic rivalry again. It's the same reason that Dwarven-made magical armour is always made from the skin of Elven Rangers.

Heliomance
2009-08-28, 09:11 AM

Er, what? Who says there's any trees on the plane of shadow? Even if there are, who says there's a continuous line of oak trees spaced at 3000 foot intervals from your starting point to your destination?

Chrono22
2009-08-28, 09:18 AM
Er, what? Who says there's any trees on the plane of shadow? Even if there are, who says there's a continuous line of oak trees spaced at 3000 foot intervals from your starting point to your destination?
Well, the plane of shadow mirrors reality.
In my games, certain things about the way magic functions alter character behavior in the game reality. For example, druids regularly plant tree seeds wherever they roam. Besides distances on the plane of shadow translate differently than they do on the prime (a 4 mile walking speed on the shadow plane transports you 50 miles of prime). Logically, there must be some trees within that 50 mile prime stretch. It's not a terrible leap to assume some of them must have shadow counterparts.

Grumman
2009-08-28, 09:22 AM
It's the old Divine Magic vs Arcane Magic rivalry again. It's the same reason that Dwarven-made magical armour is always made from the skin of Elven Rangers.
What right-thinking dwarf would wear armour made out of skin? And elf skin at that? Now, petrified elves I could see, but making armour out of elf skin is like making a tank out of tissue paper.

Heliomance
2009-08-28, 09:38 AM
Well, the plane of shadow mirrors reality.
In my games, certain things about the way magic functions alter character behavior in the game reality. For example, druids regularly plant tree seeds wherever they roam. Besides distances on the plane of shadow translate differently than they do on the prime (a 4 mile walking speed on the shadow plane transports you 50 miles of prime). Logically, there must be some trees within that 50 mile prime stretch. It's not a terrible leap to assume some of them must have shadow counterparts.

The first tree you enter and all others you enter must be of the same kind, must be living, and must have girth at least equal to yours.

Do you know how long an oak tree takes to grow from an acorn to having a trunk as wide as the average humanoid? Neither do I. But it's a long time.

And depending on the terrain you're in, it's very easy to go 50 miles without seeing an oak tree. They only grow in temperate lowlands. There won't be any in mountain ranges, deserts, tundra, savannah, oceans, pine forests, rainforests... and yes, I know the latter two have trees of their own, but
The first tree you enter and all others you enter must be of the same kind, must be living, and must have girth at least equal to yours. You start with an oak, you've gotta use oaks all the way. I find it very unlikely that you'll find convenient oaks all along your 36000-mile journey.

Chrono22
2009-08-28, 09:41 AM
Do you know how long an oak tree takes to grow from an acorn to having a trunk as wide as the average humanoid? Neither do I. But it's a long time.

And depending on the terrain you're in, it's very easy to go 50 miles without seeing an oak tree. They only grow in temperate lowlands. There won't be any in mountain ranges, deserts, tundra, savannah, pine forests, rainforests... and yes, I know the latter two have trees of their own, but You start with an oak, you've gotta use oaks all the way. I find it very unlikely that you'll find convenient oaks all along your 36000-mile journey.
You really like wasting your time, don't you? This was a theoretical exercise about what speeds are conceivably possible.
What exactly are you trying to prove by claiming it's unrealistic?
Please, eat your cookie and leave the rest of us to our machinations.

truemane
2009-08-28, 09:43 AM
What right-thinking dwarf would wear armour made out of skin? And elf skin at that? Now, petrified elves I could see, but making armour out of elf skin is like making a tank out of tissue paper.

Well, yeah, petrified elves. Duh! It goes without saying...

:smalleek:

Heliomance
2009-08-28, 09:50 AM
You really like wasting your time, don't you? This was a theoretical exercise about what speeds are conceivably possible.
What exactly are you trying to prove by claiming it's unrealistic?
Please, eat your cookie and leave the rest of us to our machinations.

Oh, I'm sorry. My mistake. In that case, I believe this (http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:WULWAIKmCGMJ:forums.gleemax.com/leaving.php%3Fdestination%3Dhttp://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php%253Ft%253D993832&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk) answers your question quite nicely, without having to assume that oak trees grow all over the world.

Brock Samson
2009-08-28, 05:50 PM
Let me clarify, there is no way to transport yourself to this location via any kind of teleportation or teleportation-like effects. You can only do it through traveling. Wind walk looks like one of the better routes to go. But there's got to be a combination of more spells that increase movement. Also, where is Footsteps of the Divine? And now, the cleric does not have Persist, but I, the druid/wizard/mystic theurge/arcane heirophant, do.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-08-28, 06:02 PM
No dice. It's in Complete Champion and is a 3rd-level Cleric-only spell. Just teleport to a place close to that location that you can teleport to - it would save a good deal of time.

Kizara
2009-08-28, 06:15 PM
Um, the obvious solution?

Just cast Gate twice.

Gate somewhere harmless (like Union, whatever), and then Gate where you want to go. This is planar travel, not teleportation. It takes 2 rounds, less if you run and use quickens.

Also, if you don't have Quicken Spell and Expanded Spell Capacity at level 22 you are a disgrace to the game.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-08-28, 06:20 PM
Just cast Gate twice.

Gate somewhere harmless (like Union, whatever), and then Gate where you want to go. This is planar travel, not teleportation. It takes 2 rounds, less if you run and use quickens.

Gate planar travel "functions much like Plane Shift", and since Plane Shift is (teleportation), Gate might be too. Of course, the more obvious reply would be that his DM will disallow it, because it's a teleportation-like effect, which is barred.

Kizara
2009-08-28, 06:29 PM
Gate planar travel "functions much like Plane Shift", and since Plane Shift is (teleportation), Gate might be too. Of course, the more obvious reply would be that his DM will disallow it, because it's a teleportation-like effect, which is barred.

Argh, how can you have an epic-level game without Gate or any other planar travel? That's so incredibly lame.

Fine, have someone Shapechange into a big dragon and then ferry the party; or Wind Walk + Control Winds.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-08-28, 06:39 PM
Let me clarify, there is no way to transport yourself to this location via any kind of teleportation or teleportation-like effects.

His rules, not mine. Wind Walk has already been stated. Shapechange doesn't last long enough.

quick_comment
2009-08-28, 07:18 PM
Does your setting have a spherical globe, like Earth?

If so, you can significantly shorten your trip by casting Xorn movement and moving through the earth, rather than over the surface.

woodenbandman
2009-08-28, 07:40 PM
Rings of Spell Storing? Or use Miracle to wish for a persisted Footsteps of the Divine. It's effectively a 9th level spell, but it's not that far outside the realm of the power of a miracl.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-08-28, 08:11 PM
Just a thought...

Wyrmling Force Dragon Ardent 1, Incarnate 6 (CR 20)

5 - Dash (Feat, Complete Warrior)
10 - Ardent (Freedom Domain, Complete Psionic)
10 - Quick Trait (Unearthed Arcana)
10 - Speed of Thought (Feat, Expanded Psionics Handbook) (Insight Bonus)
40 - Sapphire Sprint (Feat, Magic of Incarnum)
125 - Shadow Template (Lords of Madness)
250 - Half-Fey Template (Fiend Folio)
250 - Base Speed (Epic Level Handbook)

700 foot base speed.

quick_comment
2009-08-28, 08:18 PM
Just a thought...

Wyrmling Force Dragon Ardent 1, Incarnate 6 (CR 20)

5 - Dash (Feat, Complete Warrior)
10 - Ardent (Freedom Domain, Complete Psionic)
10 - Quick Trait (Unearthed Arcana)
10 - Speed of Thought (Feat, Expanded Psionics Handbook) (Insight Bonus)
40 - Sapphire Sprint (Feat, Magic of Incarnum)
125 - Shadow Template (Lords of Madness)
250 - Half-Fey Template (Fiend Folio)
250 - Base Speed (Epic Level Handbook)

700 foot base speed.

Thats a level 27 character, not including whatever LA the force dragon gets.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-08-28, 09:01 PM
Thats a level 27 character, not including whatever LA the force dragon gets.
How do you arrive at those numbers?

7 levels in classes
Half-Fey +2
Shadow Creature +2

That's 11th level before force dragon LA.

olentu
2009-08-28, 10:19 PM
How do you arrive at those numbers?

7 levels in classes
Half-Fey +2
Shadow Creature +2

That's 11th level before force dragon LA.

Er aside from neglecting the level adjustment from the templates I think that in this situation the theoretical force dragon level adjustment is being referred to separately from the force dragon racial hit dice.

Kizara
2009-08-28, 10:24 PM
Are you just barred from using teleport effects, or do they not exist at all in your setting?

What about planar travel? (cause if it doesn't, shadow or etheral-plane effects are likewise out too, which removes ALOT of spells if you think about it).

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-08-28, 11:32 PM
Are you just barred from using teleport effects, or do they not exist at all in your setting?

What about planar travel? (cause if it doesn't, shadow or etheral-plane effects are likewise out too, which removes ALOT of spells if you think about it).Please answer this. Primarily because I just had an idea involving Greater Teleport, divinations to determine the max height on the Teleport-prohibition, and a contingency to cast Mass Fly when you're within 100' of the ground.

Cieyrin
2009-08-29, 11:30 AM
Please answer this. Primarily because I just had an idea involving Greater Teleport, divinations to determine the max height on the Teleport-prohibition, and a contingency to cast Mass Fly when you're within 100' of the ground.

Paratroop in? I approve of this.