PDA

View Full Version : High speed chases? [D20 system]

Froogleyboy
2009-08-27, 08:15 PM
How would you, as DM, run high speed chases. I mean, the D20 system kinda makes it pointless. Just compare speeds and done. BORING

Glyde
2009-08-27, 08:28 PM
Terrain and variable obstacles. People readying actions to catch the chased. Stuff like that.

mr.fizzypop
2009-08-27, 09:57 PM
I have had that problem too. If I have a chase, I make it quick, by either have the enemy escape, or be cornered quickly.

ZeroNumerous
2009-08-27, 09:58 PM
Turn it into a fight. Ok, they caught the guy. How are they stopping him, exactly? Ramming his car? Shooting his tires? You can add a lot more to it than simply comparing speeds.

Susano-wo
2009-08-27, 10:06 PM
Personally, I have this problem with low speed chases (read foot-chases). The P1 moves 240ft, P2 moves 240ft, rinse repeat until failed fort save is one of the most boring, painful mechanics breakdowns ever...; ;

I like the idea I've seen used (and alluded to, I believe, by Mr. Fizzypop) where you roll rolls, modified by speeds, to try to gain or catch, with either capture or escape happening in a few rounds. Not strictly realistic, but definitely keeps the action alive while allowing skills to come into play, and statistics still mattering.

kjones
2009-08-27, 10:51 PM
Include Dex checks (or appropriate skill checks) to avoid obstacles, and Con checks if they're flat-out sprinting for more than a few rounds. (There are probably actual rules for the latter.)