PDA

View Full Version : Helping me Find the Right Class...

Zovc
2009-08-27, 11:44 PM
I'm having a bit of trouble finding the class that's right for me. I've found a class that I like, but my DM doesn't like said class. I want to play a Factotum.

I like the Factotum because it's so flexible. The only two classes I've played as are the Wilder and the Warlock. Both classes really boiled down to, "Move 30 feet this way, fire (Augmented Ray of Fire/Brimstone Blast) at target." Far from flexible, I had a good time, and was really looking forward to getting more options (and being able to heal) with the Wilder, but the session I played him in ended up being a 1-shot campaign (we were going to do at least three more sessions).

I know nothing about the campaign I'm expecting to go in to, other than it will last (at least through a few levels). The DM currently thinks we'll be starting at level 1.

The only classes aside from the factotum I'm particularly interested in are the Beguiler and the Spellthief. Both classes seem fun, but I think of the two my DM only likes the Beguiler. Nevertheless, I'd be interested in trying something not overtly roguelike, but still flexible.

I am open to multiclassing, but my DM insists that multiclass penalties apply. I also don't want to gimp myself by multiclassing, but I don't want to go out of my way to optimize, either.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-08-27, 11:54 PM
Just play your factotum. You'll probably want to take/not want to take Font of Inspiration from the Wizard's web supplement though.

Zovc
2009-08-28, 12:03 AM
I meant to, but forgot to say that my DM has given the thumbs down to the Factotum twice. He's apparently had bad experiences with the class and thinks the Bard is a (much) more balanced version of it.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-08-28, 12:06 AM
Do I hear a need for a Dragonfire Bard?

Please tell me what is allowed material for you.

Samb
2009-08-28, 12:11 AM
Another look at wilders (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4368.0). I'm glad to see another wilder fan here! While wilders do make great blasters they can be sooooo much more, even without research. The link I provided will let you see just how versitile a wilder can be as well as cool ACFs, feats, Gish playstyles, cheats(!), PrCs, comparisions to psywar and more info on this awesome class than you know what to do with.

Take a look and take your wilder to new heights!!!!!

If you insist on Factotum.... I personally dislike them but I do have a factotum in a game I'm running and the possibilities excite me. Changling factotum/chamleon makes him the ultimate pretender. It almost makes me want to play a solo game with that build.

Zovc
2009-08-28, 12:11 AM
He likes core material more than anything else, I have to run other stuff by him--but technically nothing is limited until I find out it is. XD

What/where is the Dragonfire Bard? I can see if I like it, then run that by him if I do.