PDA

View Full Version : Twilighted armour and duskblades

oxinabox
2009-08-28, 01:06 AM
Why does the PHBII recommend twilighted armour for duskblades?
It's not useful for them is it?
twilightyed reduces Arc failure by 10%.
But duskblades don't have the abuility to ignore x% of Aracne spell failure, they have the ability to ignore spell faiulre for particular cataorgy (light, medium, heavy)

Is twilighted ment to be considered lowering it one catagory for failure chance?

arguskos
2009-08-28, 01:11 AM
Because they're stupid. No, really, they are. Just ignore them. :smallannoyed:

quick_comment
2009-08-28, 01:13 AM
Its just like how abjurant champions like using mage armor.

FMArthur
2009-08-28, 01:22 AM
And how Ninjas benefit from armor (thanks MM4), and... actually, I don't think I can list all of the NPCs that are blatantly cheating at the game, even the ones made as examples to demonstrate a class. There are too many. Just assume that certain erroneous pieces of text were made before a critical change in the class's construction. Most other errors are just real stupidity though.

Frosty
2009-08-28, 01:35 AM
What about the sample Ruby Knight Vindicator who doesn't worship Wee Jas?

Myrmex
2009-08-28, 01:39 AM

Why wouldn't they? It doesn't interfere with their spellcasting, like regular armor does.

Zaq
2009-08-28, 01:45 AM
The "advice" sections of sourcebooks often run the gamut from misguided to outright harmfully wrong (HOW many sample characters have Toughness and Dodge?) If you want some real facepalm moments, check out chapter 1 of Complete Mage, where it tries to explain how to play different caster archetypes.

Yeah, WotC doesn't know their own game very well.

quick_comment
2009-08-28, 01:47 AM
Why wouldn't they? It doesn't interfere with their spellcasting, like regular armor does.

Because greater luminous armor is abjuration

Also, a +1 Negating Bondleaf Wrap has no ASF.

Myrmex
2009-08-28, 01:49 AM
Because greater luminous armor is abjuration

Is the a BoED spell?

Also, a +1 Negating Bondleaf Wrap has no ASF.

Yeah, but it's not that normal of armor now, is it? :smallwink:

oxinabox
2009-08-28, 01:51 AM
hey I just checks the errata, and Duskblades ability to ignore arcane spell failure hasn't been erata'd.
He dcan thus ignore All arcane spell failure from all arcane spells, not just those from his duskblade lvls.
What happens if i give him battle caster feat from complete mage?

Infact All his Class vfeature related to spells don't limit them to his list.
(Quicken Spell!!)
So Quick Cast can be applied to Wizard Spells.
Most Broken thing in quiet a while: (Gestalt) Dustblade 10 // Wizard 5/ Abjurant Champion 5.

Now to work out a Duskblade/Wizard/Ultimate Mangus/abjurant champion Gish
a simple one that doesn't take full advantage:
wizard 3/Duskblade 2/
then Interspacing
Ultimate mangus +1/abjurant champion +1 (wizard) /Duskblade +1.
Till lvl 20

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Suel Arcanamach ius the only class i've seen so far that ignore failure chance based on %age

Myrmex
2009-08-28, 01:56 AM
It explicitly states under Armored Mage that the benefits of that ability do not extend to other classes.

Besides, githcraft mithral twlight full plate & a dip in spellsword should let you wear full plate no problem.

arguskos
2009-08-28, 02:01 AM
It explicitly states under Armored Mage that the benefits of that ability do not extend to other classes.

Besides, githcraft mithral twlight full plate & a dip in spellsword should let you wear full plate no problem.
Or, Battle Caster at level 4. :smalltongue:

oxinabox
2009-08-28, 02:02 AM

Oh it does I re read it 5 times looking for that, and eventually saw it.
Don't know what with my eyes

oxinabox
2009-08-28, 02:19 AM
Battle Caster won't work on Pure Wizards. they don't meat it's prereqisists.

Redo my gish:
as far as i can tell the requiment of arcane spell lvls 2, doens't mean you have to advance the spell casting of t5rhe class you qualified with.

Wow spellsword is much better than the Alternate Fighter Lvl from PHB2 for ignoring spell faiure for wizards.

DuskBlade 5/Wizard 1/SpellSword 1(wizard)/Abjerant Champion 5/Ultimate Mangus 3
Taking BattleCaster (SpellSword) at lvl 9
Wow that doesn't workout well at all, lose caster lvls much?

Maybe:
DuskBlade 5/Wizard 1/SpellSword 1(wizard)/Abjerant Champion 3/Ultimate Mangus 5.
Taking BattleCaster (SpellSword) at lvl 9
cast's as a lvl nine Duskblade and as a a lvl 9 wizard.
Still not good.

only1doug
2009-08-28, 05:45 AM
my current character is a duskblade 5 / wizard (abjurer) 1 / abj champ 5 / spellsword 1 / eldritch knight 2 (ECL14) CL13 wizard (spells as wizard L8), CL5 duskblade, BAB +13

uses complete mage reserve feats for continuous offensive magic and greater mighty wallop for melee power.

oxinabox
2009-08-28, 10:03 AM
my current character is a duskblade 5 / wizard (abjurer) 1 / abj champ 5 / spellsword 1 / eldritch knight 2 (ECL14) CL13 wizard (spells as wizard L8), CL5 duskblade, BAB +13

uses complete mage reserve feats for continuous offensive magic and greater mighty wallop for melee power.

nice!
So on playing that how would you feal about ultimate mangus lvls?

only1doug
2009-08-28, 10:32 AM
nice!
So on playing that how would you feal about ultimate mangus lvls?

With a Gish there are two priorities, BAB and Spells. I'll continue Eldritch knight until L20 so that I gain both of these.

I'd view Ultimate Magus as a waste until epic levels, wizard casting is the priority, then BAB (which=wizard caster level). when we reach epic the BAB increases is fixed regardless of class so I can choose non BAB progressing classes such as Ultimate magus without losing more Caster Level than I would anyway.

Duskblade spells are OK, but work best with the duskblade class features, I'd rather have Duskblade levels than UM Levels. If I was building an UM character I'd pick a better casting class than duskblade (something with full casting instead of gimped casting).

Korivan
2009-08-28, 11:16 AM
On a side note, a +1 mithral chainshirt with twilight nets any caster with armor that has no casting failure, check penalty, with enough room to spare for more enchantments.

If I remember correctly, Duskblades only ignore casting failure on medium and light armor only (and shields). I guess if you wanted you could grab heavy armour and give it twilight...donno why though. Even with mithral fullplate twilight you end up with a 15% casting failure, low max dex bonus, with a little check penalty. I mean, you could use a few of the dex bonus enchantments, but that gets expensive for what you get after a while. Theres a armor crystal that can help with the check penalty, but after all that you spend a tramendous amount of resources to still have that 15% casting falure.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-08-28, 11:19 AM
Thistledown Padded Armor is the mini Mithral Twilight. It's available 4595 gp earlier. Gives +1 AC, +2 to Hide in woods, -0 ACP, 0% failure.

Glimbur
2009-08-28, 01:22 PM
You could also take a level in Spellthief (also giving you sneak attack) and the Master Spellthief feat to cast in light armor for all your arcane classes. I really like that feat, to the point of taking it on a straight Spellthief just for the CL boost.

Thurbane
2009-08-29, 12:13 AM
The Urban Savant PrC in Cityscape allows a Wizard to cast in light armor with no ASF.

deuxhero
2009-08-29, 05:53 AM

In honesty, putting mage armor (pure defense buff) in conjuration (move or create) instead of arbitration (defense and anti spell) was the first mistake.

Fizban
2009-08-29, 06:13 AM
Thistledown Padded Armor is the mini Mithral Twilight. It's available 4595 gp earlier. Gives +1 AC, +2 to Hide in woods, -0 ACP, 0% failure.

I'm sorry, the correct answer was Thistledown Padded Githcraft Mithral Chain Shirt. +4 AC/0% spell failure. Thank you for playing and goodnight.