PDA

View Full Version : Red Hand of Doom (IC)

Pages : [1] 2

Icewalker
2009-08-28, 01:31 AM
It's a hot summer's day in the Elsir Vale, as the last few have been, and as they always are this time of year. Luckily the valley is a quite dry place, and there is little humidity, so the heat is quite tolerable. You've been traveling now as a whole group for just a few days, having run into one or two sorties together already with monsters in the Vale. There seem to be more of them around than usual. As everyone is saying, dark times are approaching, and there are many signs to prove their point.

You're a few miles away from Drellin's Ferry, and should arrive in the early evening, probably around sunset. Once you've arrived, made any last minute preparations, and spent a night's rest from your travel, it'll be time to head into the Witchwood and investigate the rumors of monstrous forces at work deep in the forest.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-08-28, 01:41 AM
"I don't like the looks of this place," Fistbeard grumbles, tightening his grip around his Urgrosh. "It's quiet... too quiet."

Doc Roc
2009-08-28, 01:51 AM
In response to your statement, Elly looks around closely. Unfortunately, her spot and listen checks are appallingly bad. She notices a dwarf next to her, listens intently to the silence, and starts to hum.

Saph
2009-08-28, 02:47 AM
Elanora comes around the corner, in mid-conversation with Fistbeard. " . . . I'm just saying that it wouldn't hurt you to wash a bit more often. Apart from anything else, it would make it quite a lot easier for me to detect enemies."

" . . . Yes, as a matter of fact, I can smell them, at least normally."

" . . . Because smells can be obscured. And it's a lot harder to scent anything if you're in the presence of something with a strong, um . . ."

" . . . There's no need to get personal. I'm just making the point that if you didn't radiate 'Eau de Fistbeard' quite so strongly then I probably would have noticed those stirges before they tried to turn us into a midday snack."

Elanora keeps walking as she talks, shadows occasionally fluttering around her.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-08-28, 06:25 AM
"It's not my fault that you pansy arse elves can't get along without a two hour manicure in the mornings! You the one who wanted to doubletime it to Drellin's Ferry, so don't come complaining to me when we suffer the aftereffects of not having enough personal time to ourselves," Fistbeard points out, as he takes swig of alcohol from his (large) stores. "Besides, I have to put up with those absolutely hideous lime green boots of yours and your so-called elvish fashion senses, and I don't get to choose to not use my eyes when traveling."

Kelpstrand
2009-08-28, 07:35 AM
Fluttering behind the group and landing every ever few seconds, Vandar is to off kilter for speech, but a tiny lizard runs beside him, giving him the occasional growl and nudge.

Every now and then, he stops to mutter to himself about "younguns" who are "always in a hurry."

Keld Denar
2009-08-28, 01:43 PM
Ranold

Now kids...if I have to pull this expedition over ONE MORE TIME... Ranold holds his hand to his forehead to sceen out the late afternoon sun. Drellin's Ferry should be just over the next hillock or so. Perhaps we'll yet have time to procure a bath for the master dwarf...

Icewalker
2009-08-28, 11:17 PM
You crest a small ridge into a dip in the road, the foliage on either side thickens slightly as you cross the hill, and a rough and long abandoned shack is visible a ways through the trees. Vandar and Ranold spot shuffling leaves and a glint of metal in the underbrush, before the squad of six hobgoblin ambushers step out of hiding onto the ridge above, on either side, with longbows at the ready.

Rolls:

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-08-28, 11:21 PM
And now it's suddenly much too loud. I preferred when it was to quiet.

Icewalker
2009-08-28, 11:48 PM
Map:
http://a.imagehost.org/0573/C1-E1_Hobgoblin_Ambush.jpg (http://a.imagehost.org/view/0573/C1-E1_Hobgoblin_Ambush)

Kelpstrand
2009-08-29, 07:34 AM
Vandar whistles slightly pointing at the Hobgoblins, then casts Produce Flame.

(OOC: Handle Animal DC 10 autosuccess for AC: Have him 'defend' which is using his poison attack on enemies. Moves to square directly south and west of me. Uses Poison spray on two goblins, west 2 and west 1 south 2. DC 14 Fort save initial damage 2d4 minutes of blindness, secondary damage 1d4 con or something much later. 1d4 round recharge.

Vandar casts Produce Flame, sharing with his AC and does nothing else.)

Roll
recharge [roll0]

Keld Denar
2009-08-29, 06:56 PM
Ranold

Ranold, bow in hand, unleashes a torrent of arrows, imbuing each with the flames blessing before letting them loose.

At the Hobo 2 to the right of Ranold first, then at the one down and right of it if the first shot is lethal.
[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]
[roll3] [roll4] [roll5]

Don't forget, every ally within 60' of me gets DR 2/-.

Icewalker
2009-08-29, 08:25 PM
The spraying droplets of acid splash into the eyes of the two hobgoblins. The first falls back with a shout, clutching his eyes, while the second blinks it away quickly.

Ranold's bow slips in his fingers, and while you quickly regain a sturdy hold on the weapon, the opportunity to take shots had passed.

Rolls:

[roll0]
[roll1]

Icewalker
2009-08-29, 08:40 PM
The hobgoblins give a rallying cry as arrows fly into the valley. The blinded one steps backwards into the line of bushes and trees with a loud rustling, hands pawing at his eyes. Two arrows each streak at Fistbeard and Ranold, and the last at Elanora. Elanora smoothly avoids the attack, but one arrow sinks into Ranold's shoulder, and Fistbeard takes a shot to the leg and a lucky arrow clips his neck.

A hobgoblin steps off of a small path up the ridge a ways down the road. Armored in finely grafted studded leather, a pair of glimmering short swords sit bared in his hands. His grin reveals filthy and sharp teeth. His fur, which is normally brown on a hobgoblin, is tinted a wild patchwork of colors. It looks dyed at first, but you can see that the skin seems to be slightly mottled in a strange fashion underneath the wild colors. His wide eyes have a crazed look as he sets his feet.

Another hobgoblin steps out onto the ridge, this one dressed in roughly forged bands of metal, has the same strange mottled chromatic patchwork skin as the other. There is a shield strapped to his arm, but his mace is still hanging from his belt, his free hand keeping the sun out of his eyes as he looks you over. There is a small chain around his neck, but it's too far away to make out what hangs from it.

Rolls:

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8]
[roll9]

Icewalker
2009-08-29, 08:43 PM
Rolls:

[roll0]

Map:
http://a.imagehost.org/0905/C1-E1_Hobgoblin_Ambush.jpg (http://a.imagehost.org/view/0905/C1-E1_Hobgoblin_Ambush)

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-08-29, 09:30 PM
Fistbeard will charge up to hobgoblin number 3 and swing at him with the urgrosh.

"Let's see you pansy archers deal with metal to the FACE!"

Attack (PA for 2): [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Doc Roc
2009-08-29, 09:43 PM
Before you can charge, Elly pulls her mandolin, starts playing, and drops in inspirational boost at the "correct point." She uses an immediate action at the start of your turn to push out the Badge buff. She uses her move action to back up 10 feet.

+5d6 fire damage to all our outbound attacks.

Keld Denar
2009-08-29, 09:45 PM
Ranold

Hopefully recovering from the disgrace in his first volley, Ranold levels his bow on the Hobo Cleric.

Initiating Lightning Arrows
[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]
[roll3] [roll4] [roll5]
FML....I seriously need to stop rolling 1s....

Kelpstrand
2009-08-29, 09:52 PM
Vandar watches carefully for the right moment, but immediately sicks his pet with a whistle, With a short hop at unfortunate goblin number 2 it pecks at him:

rolls:Handle Animal is auto success
attack: [roll0] EDIT: -2 to this, not enough room for charge.
damage: [roll1]
fire damage from DFI: [roll2]

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-08-29, 10:10 PM
Dragonfire: [roll0]

Keld Denar
2009-08-29, 10:16 PM
Crap, forgot to add Dragonfire....

[roll0] to the one roll that WASN'T a freakin 1. Directed at the cleric.

Icewalker
2009-08-30, 01:41 PM
Fistbeard steps smoothly up the ledge as his axe connects with the chest of the hobgoblin, before being wrenched out his chest with a hideous sucking noise to leave a rather impressive, and suddenly flaming hole. The hobgoblin collapses on the spot into a burning mess of flesh.

Ranold stumbles again slightly with his bow but manages to loose a second shot, which flies accurately to embed itself in the cleric's shoulder. Lightning crackles from the arrow but seems to dissipate to little effect. The fire which bursts over his body also seems slightly slower and weaker than it should be, but it sears his body painfully nonetheless.

Vandar's companion steps up smoothly onto the ridge and pokes the hobgoblin in the knee. It looks like it might have bruised, probably rather painful. A this point the entire creature bursts into massive roiling flames which begin to burn the flesh from his bones.

Elanora hangs back with Elly, her hands twisting around some arcane preparations shimmering in the air.

Icewalker
2009-08-30, 01:52 PM
The hobgoblin warrior breaks into a run, shortswords waving through the air. As his feet slap the ground, a blood-curdling howl fills the air. Most of you shake it off, but Elly shudders at the sound. He reaches Ranold and swings one of his blades, connecting cleanly with Ranold's side in a stinging blow.

The cleric holds up his holy symbol and chants something softly, before suddenly vanishing from sight.

The three remaining archers fire arrows, two towards Fistbeard, and one wiser taking a shot at Elly instead. One arrow cuts Fistbeard's side, but the rest miss.

Two beasts step out onto the road a ways down, one from either side. They look like scraggly vicious black dogs at first, but one of them opens its mouth and wisps of fire fan out between it's massive teeth, solid red eyes blazing in the sunlight.

Rolls:

[roll0]

[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

[roll7] [roll8]

[roll9]
[roll10]

[roll11]
[roll12]

[roll13]
[roll14]

Icewalker
2009-08-30, 01:59 PM
Map:

http://a.imagehost.org/0383/C1-E1_Hobgoblin_Ambush.jpg (http://a.imagehost.org/view/0383/C1-E1_Hobgoblin_Ambush)

Kelpstrand
2009-08-30, 02:24 PM
Okay, well first, I was delaying to see if I wanted to use Mass Snake's Swiftness, so I hadn't used my actions, which before the new hobgoblin turn, I'd throw one of my produce flames at hobgoblin 4.

Then for my new round of actions post hobgoblin turn, maintaining hope for special initiative actions (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialInitiativeActions.htm) for right now, I will then spend Mr Snuggles on Hobgoblin 1, and ready an action to cast Faerie Fire on the Cleric if I hear him casting a spell (or activating magic item with command word, or using wand, or using scroll, or otherwise speaking, allowing me to pinpoint his location on a 20 on my listen check).

After my AC moves more than 5ft away from me he ceases to glow because the produce flame effect on him disperses.

rolls:RTA: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]
DFI if applies to produce flame (I guess it does?): [roll2]
Listen check if Cleric moved after casting: [roll3]
Listen check to pinpoint speaking Cleric if he should do so: [roll4]

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-08-30, 02:32 PM
Move action to move north off of the hillside, swift action to retrieve a bit of beer from the potion belt, and standard action to drink it.

Fort save: [roll0]

And I heal 9 hp.

"Ye canne take this dwarf out that easily, ye pansies!"

Keld Denar
2009-08-30, 03:28 PM
Ranold

Ranold takes a 5' step back and to the left, leveling his bow at the Hobo warrior near him.

Initiate Phantom Arrow as a swift
[roll0] [roll1] [roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5] [roll6] [roll7]

Doc Roc
2009-08-30, 07:13 PM
Elly makes a singularly frustrated gesture, casting launch item via melodic casting to hurl a flask of acid at the grid intersection so that it catches both hell hounds in the splash as well as the two squares in front of them.

[roll0], hits on a non-one. Grid intersections have AC 5.

One point of acid damage to each from splash, and

[roll1]
[roll2]

Each from splash proc of DFI.

Tell me if I also caught the cleric :: wishful thinking ::

Kelpstrand
2009-08-30, 07:29 PM
Technically, the splash proc is not a damage roll, and so DFI would probably not apply.

Doc Roc
2009-08-30, 11:44 PM
Okay, I'll cast glitterdust instead. Consensus on where I should cast it? Can we all make listen checks for this?

EDIT:
Eh, I'll just fire an obscuring mist out of my armor, leaving six left for the day, and continue playing. Unless asked to by her party-mates, Elly is unlikely to leave cover or take an action other than playing.

EDIT 2: That's only a swift action, so I'll ready an action to:

"Cast glitterdust at the spot requested by the ugly bat."

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
Can't do that, borrowed against my swift with my earlier immediate. I open by casting glitterdust at the square in front of the left hellhound, presuming that this will still catch both of them.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-08-30, 11:49 PM
At the hellhounds.

Kelpstrand
2009-08-31, 12:11 AM
If the Glitterdust outlines the Cleric, I will not ready an action for Faerie Fire, and will instead do something else.

Saph
2009-08-31, 03:58 PM
Elanora

Elanora speaks a quick word in an arcane language then dodges around Ranold, shadows fluttering around her, before facing the hobgoblin warrior. "You should not have come here." The air around her solidifies into a smoky claw, reaching out to wrap itself around the hobgoblin.

Last round's action was Shield. This round's actions:
Swift: Activate Amulet of Tears. Gain 12 temp HP.
Move: Move one square NE through Ranold, then one square E, then one square SE next to the hobgoblin warrior. Draw shortsword as part of my move action.
Standard: Use Belker Claws against hobgoblin.

Melee touch attack: [roll0]
If hit: [roll1] untyped damage and [roll2] fire damage and hobgoblin takes another 2d12 damage next round.
If miss: Hold charge on the spell.

Defences: AC 24 (with Shield), HP 38/26 (with temp HP), and Elanora has concealment due to moving while in her Child of Shadow stance (20% miss chance against targeted attacks).

End turn.

Icewalker
2009-09-01, 09:27 PM
A ball of fire strikes the hobgoblin archer and bursts in a roiling torrent of magical and draconic flames, burning the creature to bone in seconds. Vandar's companion hops into the forest after the hobgoblin, but no fire flares up over the foliage.

Fistbeard downs a vial of his beer with a grin as Ranold steps back, smoothly utterly failing with his bow once again.

Elly makes a gesture with her hand and a cloud of blinding sparks bursts forth, engulfing both hellhounds. One of them yelps and begins blinking wildly, the other growls and lowers its head.

Elanora swiftly glides between Ranold and his opponent as the marshal steps back, and a claw of corporeal shadow digs into the hobgoblin's chest. He grimaces in pain as fire bursts from the claw, but presses forwards nonetheless.

Rolls:

[roll1] [roll5d6

[roll2]
[roll3]

Icewalker
2009-09-01, 09:39 PM
Vandar's ears twitch as the slightest whisper reaches him. A small wizened hand shoots out and makes a sign in the air with a burst of glistening spots of green fire arcing over the field. The fire outlines a humanoid shape standing behind the southmost archer. However a barely visible glimmer of chromatic light shimmers over each of the hobgoblins as well as the hounds.

Three arrows fly out, one each at Ranold, Fistbeard, and Elanora. The shot misses Ranold and is deflected smoothly from Elanora's invisible shield, but a second lucky arrow embeds itself in Fistbeard's stomach.

One of the hell hounds stumbles to the side, blinded, and advances slightly down the path. The other advances at a prowl, coming to face you with fire dripping from its mouth.

The hobgoblin warrior grins through the smoke, and his gleaming blades shoot out as he steps forwards, cutting at both Elanora and Ranold. His sword slips in his hand, and widely misses Elanora, but the other blade leaves a shallow gash along Ranold's thigh.

Rolls:

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8]
[roll9]

Icewalker
2009-09-01, 09:45 PM
Map:
http://a.imagehost.org/0739/C1-E1_Hobgoblin_Ambush.jpg (http://a.imagehost.org/view/0739/C1-E1_Hobgoblin_Ambush)

Rolls:
[roll0]

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-01, 09:50 PM
Move one square to the northeast, and take a swipe at the hellhound.

Attack:
Damage: [roll]1d8+2d6+4

Saph
2009-09-01, 10:06 PM
Elanora

Jumping back from the hobgoblin's sword slash, Elanora sees Fistbeard down his beer, and rolls her eyes skyward. "Don't you EVER stop drinking?" she demands. "I don't know if you've noticed, but we're a little occupied at the moment!" She rolls sideways through the dust, ducking under the hobgoblin's weapons and coming up right between him and the snarling hellhound.

The smoky claw continues to rip and tear at the hobgoblin, and as Elanora makes a gesture, electricity crackles around her open palm, reaching out to jump towards the nearest enemy.

First off, the hobgoblin warrior takes another [roll0] points of damage from the Belker Claws. The effect then ends.

Move action: Elanora tumbles one square SE and one square E, moving past the hobgob and the hellhound. I'm assuming I get a bonus on my Tumble checks from Ranold's Motivate Dexterity aura; if not, subtract 3 from these two rolls.

Tumble check to move safely past hobgob (DC 15): [roll1]
Tumble check to move safely past hellhound (DC 17): [roll2]

Standard action: Shocking Grasp against the hobgoblin warrior, assuming he's still alive. A flank would be nice, but Ranold doesn't threaten melee range with his bow and Fistbeard isn't near enough. Add +3 to the attack roll if the hobgoblin is carrying a lot of metal, which I don't think he is.

If the damage from the Belker Claws is enough to finish the hobgoblin off, this attack will target the hellhound instead.

Edit: Melee touch attack roll is a 26, rolled in OOC thread.

On hit: [roll3] electrical damage and [roll4] fire damage.
On miss: Hold charge.

Elanora has concealment from her Child of Shadow stance.

End turn.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-01, 10:11 PM
"Less talk, more fighting!"

Keld Denar
2009-09-01, 10:44 PM
Ranold

Hard pressed and low on maneuvers, Ranold steps back and left in front of Elly and fires 2 more shots right at the Hobgoblin warrior.

[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]
[roll3] [roll4] [roll5]

Doc Roc
2009-09-01, 10:58 PM
"What a stinking mess."

Elly uses her standard action to Launch Item alchemist's fire at the cleric, as per a ranged touch attack.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Splash catches the other hob. There will be recurring damage to the cleric. Did you decide if DFI triggered on splashes?

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-01, 11:00 PM
Damage: [roll0]
Dragonfire: [roll1]

Doc Roc
2009-09-01, 11:02 PM
I use my swift to put up a cloud effect in my square, giving me concealment without obscuring my own vision.

Kelpstrand
2009-09-01, 11:15 PM
See OOC about pet.

But if I haven't seen evidence of Hobgoblins death, I'll leave him to his hunt/kill, and not issue any different orders this round.

Meanwhile, I will five foot step to the southwest square and cast Blinding Spittle, and spit at the unblinded Hellhound:

Relevant text if I hit with my RTA with a -4 penalty (as per spell, it is difficult to spit.) "The subject is blinded until it can wash its eyes with water or some other rinsing fluid, which requires a standard action."

SR: yes, if that matters.

Roll:
RTA: [roll0]
SR: [roll1]

Icewalker
2009-09-06, 01:54 AM
Fistbeard steps and swings at the hellhound, but the blow strikes at a glancing angle and is deflected by the monsters thick hide.

The claw of shadow tightens around the warrior, choking the air from his lungs as he collapses unconscious onto the path. Elanora dances over her fallen opponent and slams a lightning engulfed hand onto the head of the hellhound, which collapses backwards in a heap in a burst of thunder and lightning.

Two arrows streak through the air and connect cleanly with the shimmering outline of the hobgoblin cleric, bursting with two great cracks of sound. The invisibility immediately cuts as the monster is torn to shreds by the sonic burst from the arrow embedded in its stomach.

The arrows are followed quickly by a small bottle, soaring through the air, which shatters onto the hobgoblin archer with a massive boom and a sudden intense fire. He hits the ground as his outer flesh burns off his torso.

Kelpstrand
2009-09-06, 11:30 AM
Vandar will instead throw a third Produce Flame. Either using the roll from last time +4, or using this:

[roll0]

[roll1]
[roll2]

Icewalker
2009-09-06, 04:06 PM
A ball of fire soars through the air and bursts with a great thunder on the last hobgoblin, who collapses back onto the ground.

The only enemy that seems to still be present is the last blind hellhound, who stumbles forwards again, bumps slightly against a small bush on the other edge of the pathway, and attempts to attack it.

Map:
http://a.imagehost.org/0438/C1-E1_Hobgoblin_Ambush.jpg (http://a.imagehost.org/view/0438/C1-E1_Hobgoblin_Ambush)

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-06, 04:17 PM
"Eat Urgrosh!" Fistbeard shouts, as he charges at the hellhound.

Attack:
Damage: [1d8+4
Dragonfire: [roll1]

Kelpstrand
2009-09-06, 04:19 PM
Vander calls out "Mr. Snuggles. Home!"

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-06, 04:29 PM
Urgrosh Damage: [roll0]

Saph
2009-09-06, 06:19 PM
Elanora

Activate Flame Dagger. A dagger of solid fire appears in Elanora's free hand.

If the hell hound is dead from Fistbeard's attack, Elanora will then move 30 feet southeast down the path, looking for new enemies. If it's not dead, she'll go around it and ignore it, assuming that Ranold will finish it off easily with his bow shots.

Doc Roc
2009-09-06, 09:26 PM
Elly holds her action.

Keld Denar
2009-09-07, 05:49 PM
Ranold

Firing upon any enemies that move, Ranold lets loose a couple more arrows.

[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]
[roll3] [roll4] [roll5]

Keld Denar
2009-09-07, 05:51 PM
Crit confirm

[roll0] [roll1]

Icewalker
2009-09-07, 06:20 PM
The first arrow strikes the hellhound and it drops against the hillside, motionless, likely dead. After the second arrow, you would no longer be able to tell that it was a hellhound, or even remotely doglike.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-07, 06:20 PM
"Congratulations, lad, you just killed it beyond death," Fistbeard jokes, as he drinks himself back up to full health.

Kelpstrand
2009-09-07, 06:37 PM
Vandar

When Mr Snuggles returns, Vandar looks him over for scratches, and finding none, pats him on the head "Exploding attacks? Have you been learning new tricks on me?"

We begins hopping towards the house at a leisurely pace.

Doc Roc
2009-09-07, 08:58 PM
Elly holds up a hand for everyone to pause.
One ambush is enough for me. Can someone scout the house in a stealthy way?

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-07, 10:28 PM
"Aye, I'm your man," Fistbeard answers proudly. "But it seems that Batman and Yoshi are already on it."

Fort saves:
1: [roll0] at DC 11
2: [roll1] at DC 12

I heal 18 hp. I should be back up to full health.

Kelpstrand
2009-09-07, 10:42 PM
Vandar continues fluttering toward the house, Mr Snuggles in tow.

Saph
2009-09-08, 06:00 AM
Elanora

Elanora nods at Elly's suggestion. "I'll get it." She pulls a wand from a side pocket of her pack and tosses it to Elly with a slight smile at Ranold. "Here, I think the old man could use some patching up." She then concentrates, says a couple of words, sheathes her shortsword, and makes a gesture.

Adaptive Style to recover/change maneuvers. Sheathe shortsword, keep Flame Dagger out, use Expeditious Retreat, speed is now 60', switch to Hunter's Sense stance.
Elanora glides quickly forward, runs up the slope and disappears into the forest.

Move southwest up the slope and into the tree cover, then head stealthily towards the house at half speed and try to detect any enemies, using Listen, Spot, and Scent (30' range). If I don't detect the scent or presence of more hobgoblins/hell hounds, I'll move into the house to see what I can see.

Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]
Spot: [roll3]

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-08, 08:19 AM
"You know, there's probably no need to sneak up on the house, come to think of it. I'm pretty sure anyone in it would have noticed our battle and the hellhounds."

Fistbeard will walk up to the door and try to open it.

Doc Roc
2009-09-08, 12:16 PM
Mind telling me what wand you just handed me?

Saph
2009-09-08, 01:09 PM
Elanora

Elanora rolls her eyes as Fistbeard walks up and opens the door. "Well, if they haven't noticed you yet, they have now."

(Elly: One side of the wand is labelled in Common, "Cure Light Wounds". The other side has a label saying "Command Word" along with a word in Draconic.)

Doc Roc
2009-09-08, 04:09 PM
[roll0] for UMD.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-08, 04:25 PM
Elanora

Elanora rolls her eyes as Fistbeard walks up and opens the door. "Well, if they haven't noticed you yet, they have now."

"Is this the new Elvish method of 'hiding by talking really loudly' that I keep hearing about?" Fisbeard teases.

Saph
2009-09-08, 05:16 PM
Elanora

Elanora sighs and walks out into the open. "No, it's the method where you don't walk straight up to the front door. Oh, forget it. By now any humanoid would have heard you and any animal would have smelled you. What's inside?"

Tide: CLW's on the bard spell list. No UMD required.

Keld Denar
2009-09-08, 05:26 PM
Ranold

Come now, can't we all play nice together? *Sigh*

Icewalker
2009-09-08, 06:24 PM
The old ruined farmhouse sits in the woods, now completely overgrown. The hobgoblins seem to have beat this small path to it, and set it up as a small campsite. There is nobody inside except for a small pile of bodies in the corner, earlier victims of the ambush judging from the arrow wounds. Two of them look to be warriors of some kind, the other four civilians.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-08, 07:36 PM
Fistbeard will pause for a moment and say a prayer for those who died... and then loot the bodies.

Kelpstrand
2009-09-08, 09:19 PM
Vandar will start dragging bodies outside one at a time, with Mr Snuggles help if needed. He won't ask for help, but will accept it.

Doc Roc
2009-09-08, 11:09 PM
Ranold gets healed whether he likes it or not. :)

Elly begins to dig graves.

Saph
2009-09-09, 06:06 AM
Elanora

"More victims. Well, at least we stopped them from killing anyone else." Elanora shakes her head. "There's something strange about this. Hobgoblins follow the orders of their commander - ambushing and robbing travellers isn't usually their style. I wonder what they were doing here?"

Elanora will help bury the bodies of the humans, then will help the rest of the party clean up the road of bits of hobgoblin and dismembered hellhound (though she won't go to the trouble of burying them). She'll also search the bodies of the hobgoblins, taking 20 for a Search of 21.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-09, 07:12 AM
"There's plenty of reasons why hobgoblins would try to cut off access to the Ferry through these woods, and none of them good news for us. Let's take what we can and move out. Someone's bound to come check up on the ambushers at some point."

Saph
2009-09-09, 07:50 AM
Elanora

"Agreed. There's nothing left for us to do here. Let's try to make Drellin's Ferry before nightfall."

Once we finish looting, healing, and burying, we'll head on.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-09, 09:39 AM
Aye, but might I suggest that we keep a little to the side of the main road? There's likely to be more trouble up ahead, or my name isn't Fistbeard."

Doc Roc
2009-09-09, 10:58 AM
Healing Ranold
[roll0]
[roll1]

Saph
2009-09-09, 11:11 AM
Elanora

"Honestly, if there are any more ambushes, I'd rather they attacked us than another group of helpless civilians. If we keep our eyes open we should be all right. Besides, going off the road will slow us down."

Once Elly's finished healing Ranold Elanora will take her wand back.

Keld Denar
2009-09-09, 11:36 AM
Ranold

I agree, its our duty to protect the people.

Icewalker
2009-09-09, 07:29 PM
The guards carry crossbows, longswords, and studded leather armor. There is a small leather bag hidden in the corner of the room with 355 gold pieces inside of it.

The swords of the hobgoblin warrior are clearly shining unnaturally, they seem to be more balanced, sharp, and strong than a normal sword.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-09, 07:48 PM
I'll take a crossbow (and some bolts, I assume).

"Alas, no hobgoblin ale," Fistbeard sighs. "Pity, I was hoping to try some..."

Doc Roc
2009-09-09, 08:28 PM
Elly grimly reaches into her pack and hands each of you five vials of alchemist's fire, with the exception of Vandar who this would encumber and also break his VoP. :)

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-09, 10:29 PM
"Thank's Elly, this looks like it could hit the spot."

Fistbeard makes a move to uncap the flask and ingest it, but is quickly stopped before anything regrettable happens, such as him singing his beard.

Saph
2009-09-10, 05:43 AM
Elanora

"Those shortswords look nice." Elanora takes them out, makes a few experimental swings, then sheathes them again.

(Once we've finished burying the victims and looting the goblins, I guess we resume our journey towards Drellin's Ferry.)

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-10, 10:06 PM
"Psh, they don't compare much to the weight and heft you find behind an axe... or an urgrosh. That way you can really hit someone and leave a mark."

Saph
2009-09-11, 05:17 AM
Elanora

"In what, the ground?" Elanora says as they start walking again. "Honestly, I don't know what your people were thinking when they designed that weapon. It's an accident waiting to happen. You're lucky you don't stab yourself with the pointy end every time you use the axe part."

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-11, 09:13 AM
"I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of double bladed swords being drawn."

Saph
2009-09-11, 11:21 AM
"They're not double-bladed swords, they're shortswords. Honestly, what is it with you and double weapons?"

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-11, 11:41 AM
"Your people invented the double sword, if I'm not mistaken. And the double bow. And the double crossbow."

Saph
2009-09-11, 11:47 AM
"Your knowledge of elven history is about on a par with your personal hygiene."

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-11, 11:50 AM
"Certainly wasn't dwarves who decided they wanted two arrows on the same bow, at the same time."

Saph
2009-09-11, 11:52 AM
"Obviously not. If they designed it the same way they did the urgosh, they'd have put them at right angles to each other."

Doc Roc
2009-09-11, 12:16 PM
Elly speaks up with great reluctance.

Actually, the double-sword is classically attributed to the Valenar elves, Elanora. This once the short-n-stout is right.

Saph
2009-09-11, 12:27 PM
"It was more the 'double crossbow' claim that I was getting at."

Keld Denar
2009-09-11, 03:51 PM
Ranold

Oh come on now, we all know its not about how many times you shoot, its about how well you make each of those shots count. As an expert marksman myself, I'm very well aware of this!

Saph
2009-09-12, 04:34 AM
(So, we continue on towards Drellin's Ferry. What happens?)

Icewalker
2009-09-13, 06:52 PM
The road descends down a hill into a broad riverside, sitting on which is a small town. Six old stone supports jut out from the water, as if for a bridge which has since been destroyed. However, a couple of long ropes span the river, with a ferryboat sitting on one shore. As you pass the fields and orchards surrounding the town, you are approached by a small band. Three of them seem to be civilians, with lesser armaments and rather uncomfortable with their weapons. They are being led by a fourth, in chain mail with a longsword strapped to his belt, who seems to be a weathered guard, many scars on his face. "Halt and state your business, strangers. We've had many a vile beast in these parts lately."

Keld Denar
2009-09-13, 07:12 PM
Ranold

Tell me about it...I think I still have hobgoblin blood on me. We are adventures, sent to recon the area by <some dude>. You are the local militia? Allow me to introduce my companions. Ranold names each in turn.

Do tell us, this hobgoblin problem...I take it that its a fairly recent developement?

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-13, 07:27 PM
"Halt and state your business, strangers. We've had many a vile beast in these parts lately."

"Hope you don't have a problem with a few more," Fistbeard grunts, preempting Elanora's inevitable insult with a shot of self deprecating humor.

Keld Denar
2009-09-13, 08:19 PM
Ranold

The man said vile...you are mearly offensive. To both the senses and the sensabilities...

Doc Roc
2009-09-13, 11:02 PM
:: Elly fires a wane glare at Ranold ::
You are no feast for the eyes either.

Tell me quickly of what you want, sir, and perhaps we can help or assuage your concerns.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-13, 11:05 PM
"You forgot to remove yourself from the description," Fistbeard points out helpfully to Ranold.

Tell me quickly of what you want, sir, and perhaps we can help or assuage your concerns.

If it has to do with goblins, I'm all game.

Icewalker
2009-09-13, 11:25 PM
"You seem...civilized enough. Go ahead on into town, but don't get into any fights. Soranna has enough on her hands already with these hobgoblins and the strange monsters showing up in the forest." He steps aside with his three militiamen, allowing you through into the town.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-13, 11:30 PM
"Our pleasure." Fistbeard bows and walks past the guards.

Then he walks back and adjusts the grip of the guard closest to him.

"Keep your hands a little further apart, lad. You'll want the extra leverage in a fight."

Icewalker
2009-09-13, 11:44 PM
The civilian militiaman, who looks to be no older than 20, nods, wide eyed, before recoiling slightly at the stench.

Saph
2009-09-14, 04:04 AM
Elanora

Elanora doesn't say anything throughout the exchange, but as the man mentions the name 'Soranna' she speaks up. "Actually, it's Captain Soranna we've come to see - we'd like to meet her as soon as it's convenient. We'll be staying at the Old Bridge."

After the sergeant's answered, Elanora heads through into Drellin's Ferry, beckoning the others to follow. "Come on, guys. I remember the Old Bridge as being a pretty decent inn, let's see if the wine's still good."

Keld Denar
2009-09-14, 10:07 PM
Ranold

A glass of wine would be great. Better than that swill that Master Fistbeard drinks...

Ranold bows to the the guard. Thank you sir. Might I inquire about your name?

Icewalker
2009-09-14, 11:05 PM
"My name is Torann Pumit, and I'll pass your message on to the captain."

Doc Roc
2009-09-15, 02:52 AM
It is unusual for me to offer ultimatums, but if Fistbeard does not wash himself, I will burn the inn down and kill us all.

Saph
2009-09-15, 05:36 AM
Elanora hides a grin and keeps walking. "Come on, then. It's just next to the green."

(Head to the Old Bridge, book some rooms, and order something to eat and drink. After that we can decide what to do next.)

Icewalker
2009-09-15, 10:01 AM
After having found the inn and gotten rooms, you are just settling in your possessions into the room when a knock comes at the door.

Outside is a tall and balding man, but with an air of authority to him. Behind him, standing rather nonchalantly with a longsword strapped to her belt and a breastplate over her chest is Soranna, the captain of the guard. He speaks sternly and directly. "Sorry to trouble you, travelers, but I'd like a few minutes of your time, and from the message the captain has received, I think you would like some of ours. We need some help, the town's in a lot of danger and we could use a few more swords on our side."

Doc Roc
2009-09-15, 10:25 AM
I must ask, will there be food where you are taking us? For not to be crass but I'm afraid I haven't eaten in almost a day and a half besides a smidgeon of trail rations. Besides, it sounds like a bit of time here means two or three hours of careful planning.

I'll throw diplomancy if I need to.

Saph
2009-09-15, 10:54 AM
Elanora

"Why not talk to us in the common room?" Elanora says, coming forward with a smile. "We can wait for our food while we talk, and I saw a quiet table to one side."

Assuming they agree, Elanora heads into the common room and settles down with Elly, inviting the man and Soranna to sit down. "My name's Elanora Siannodel. I'm a . . . troubleshooter, more or less, for the elven communities in the area. My colleague Fistbeard's the same for the dwarves in the south, I'm sure he'll be along as soon as he finishes cleaning up. And this is Elly. There's also Ranold - I think he's been newly assigned to your area by the Lions - and the giant bat with the dinosaur is Vandar."

"Fistbeard, Elly and I are here to investigate rumours of hobgoblin activity. It sounds as if you've already found out about that yourselves, though. Is that what you need the help with?"

Keld Denar
2009-09-15, 10:54 AM
Ranold

Elly speaks the truth. Something cool and moist to clear the dust of the road from our throats would be nice. Would you share a meal with us? I hear the wine here is excellent. Ranold nods toward Elanora.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-15, 01:44 PM
Fistbeard shows up, with a newly braided beard, and cracks open some of his ale.

"Greetings, Captain, Guardsman, I hope I fashionably late? Please, have a drink and talk business."

Doc Roc
2009-09-15, 05:25 PM
Elly tilts her head.

I am.... a specialist with a specific range of skills. I was requested by the Lions through somewhat circuitous channels. If you do not mind, I would prefer to listen first and then ask questions.

She pulls out a pad of what looks like reusable vellum and prepares to take notes or draw rough maps.

Icewalker
2009-09-15, 06:36 PM
Soranna speaks when you sit down in a corner table in the inn. "Well, we're in a bad state. The town has been under attack by hobgoblin raiders for several days now. They're waylaying travelers along the Dawn Way, and it's going to cripple the town's trade. This seems to be a larger tribe than we usually see in these parts, come down from the Wyrmsmoke mountains. They may even be a large enough host to destroy the entire town. And it goes beyond just the hobgoblins. There have been some strange happenings in the Witchwood of late, many normal animals seem to be missing, and stories have been spreading about wild magical beasts. We really could use the help of some seasoned adventurers in this."

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-15, 07:04 PM
"Ah, the Witchwood. I've heard stories about that place, but perhaps Elanora could inform us better about it."

Keld Denar
2009-09-15, 07:32 PM
Ranold

So, which would you like us to check out first? Which do you feel is the most pressing threat? We'll be on it as soon as we've recovered from our travels to here. It's always a pleasure to serve in the name of the (King?).

Saph
2009-09-15, 08:02 PM
Elanora

Elanora smiles at Ranold's comment. "There isn't really a King out here, or anyone else. The people of Drellin's Ferry rule themselves. Which means," her smile fades, "they don't have anyone to call on when something like this happens."

Elanora leans back into the shadows cast by the firelight, and when she speaks to Fistbeard, her voice is serious for a change. "The Witchwood runs northwest of here for a good forty miles or so. The Dawn Way runs right through the Witchwood, and trade from the Dawn Way is the lifeblood of this village. The forest's always been dangerous, but I can't remember the Dawn Way ever being completely cut off before. If these hobgoblins can do that, they must be a strong tribe, maybe even more than one."

Elanora turns back to Soranna. "I guess what you're hoping we can do for you is to secure the Dawn Way and the area around your village, is that right? We might be able to manage that. It depends how many of them there are."

Kelpstrand
2009-09-15, 09:13 PM
Vandar

Vandar flutters over from the corner at the discussion of the forest.

Magical Beasts can be used as trained animals of war, though it is difficult. Perhaps both problems are the same. Certainly I would not fault the indigenous life from fleeing such a combined army.

Perhaps solving the problem of the Hobgoblins will solve both problems. We should be on a look out for such collusion.

Icewalker
2009-09-15, 09:42 PM
"Perhaps. We don't know the cause of the monsters appearing in the woods. But yes, while both are a significant threat, it is this tribe or group of tribes which may stand ready to fall upon us and destroy Drellin's Ferry entirely. If we can count on your assistance we may be able to hold our own."

Saph
2009-09-16, 07:24 AM
Elanora

Elanora thinks for a second, then nods. "Sure. It doesn't conflict with our job of finding out what's going on, and we might even be able to solve both at once if we're lucky." She glances around. "What do the rest of you guys think?"

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-16, 08:55 AM
"Well, we're going to spend time in the woods anyways. Might as well take care of the problem while we're there."

Saph
2009-09-16, 09:02 AM
Elanora

Elanora looks around. "Well, if Elly agrees too, that'd be everyone. Any other help you could give us? A map of the Witchwood would be a good start."

Icewalker
2009-09-16, 09:51 PM
Soranna looks at the speaker, who nods. "Yes, we should have no trouble finding you a map of the Witchwood. You may have to wait until tomorrow, but it seems likely that you may want to recuperate from your trip and make preparations anyways, so I expect it will be a welcome pause."

Saph
2009-09-17, 01:51 AM
(In that case, we probably go to bed, sleep, wake up, reprepare spells/spell slots/whatever, get some breakfast, and wait for those two to show up again before we head into the forest.)

Doc Roc
2009-09-17, 02:49 AM
Elly voices her agreement and takes her leave, having finished eating almost before anyone else started. She heads upstairs, a taciturn and silent presence.

Icewalker
2009-09-18, 12:02 AM
Dawn breaks the next morning on the small town. It's a bright and clear day, looks like it'll get quite hot by the afternoon. As you exit your rooms, a servant girl comes up with a scroll and a note. It's from Soranna: a map of the Witchwood.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-18, 12:28 AM
"It seems here that we have two trails, and old side trail and a main path. I'm willing to bet we'd see trouble either way, but it might be more... unexpected if we went by the side path. Altnernatively, we can trust my honed survival instincts and make a direct line through the forest...

Saph
2009-09-18, 06:28 AM
Elanora

"Well, they asked us to clear the main trade road, the Dawn Way. That's where their problems are coming from, after all. So since we're going to have to secure the Dawn Way sooner or later, we may as well do that first." Elanora grins; she's back to her normal, not-particularly-serious mode. "Besides, they'll probably smell you no matter which trail we pick."

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-18, 07:33 AM
"Asking for an ambush is not a particularily good way of handling this... the goblins must have a home base somewhere, and if we sack that their operations on the road will likely collapse, but that's just me. If you want to go along the main road, I'll come with you.

Saph
2009-09-18, 08:00 AM
Elanora

"It would help to have some kind of starting point . . ."

Elanora will examine the map and try to figure out if there are any sites that seem like a possible home base for a group of hobgoblins.

Icewalker
2009-09-18, 08:59 AM
There is a small fort a ways into the Witchwood which is central to the Dawn Way. It's abandoned, according to the map. It would be an excellent staging point for a base of operations and ambush setups throughout the forest. There aren't really any other good centers, although it would be possible that the warbands simply camp separately in the forest.

Saph
2009-09-18, 09:27 AM
Elanora

Elanora taps the fort symbol on the map. "This looks like a good place to start. The hobgoblins might be based there, and even if they're not, they probably have some sort of a garrison - we could investigate and find out where they're coming from. And if it really is deserted, we could use it as a base ourselves - though that doesn't sound very likely, I can't see why they'd control the whole forest but leave this place empty.

"We could approach the fort on the Dawn Way, or we could try and reach it by the side paths . . . We'd probably avoid any hobgoblins on the side paths, but we'd likely run into other trouble, and we'd still have to clear the Dawn Way sooner or later. What do you guys think? Main road, or the back way?"

Kelpstrand
2009-09-18, 01:17 PM
Vandar

I think we attempt to clear the main road on our way. It is part of our goal, and will be quicker, most likely.

Keld Denar
2009-09-18, 01:46 PM
Ranold

I agree. We'll have to cleanse the Dawn Road at some point, and a show of force may deter hobgoblin attackers in the future. Lets start with that!

Saph
2009-09-18, 05:19 PM
Elanora

"Looks like that's settled, then."

We restock our supplies, do any shopping we need to, then head into the Witchwood, along the Dawn Way towards the abandoned fort. Let's see what we find!

Icewalker
2009-09-18, 07:01 PM
You move out as a party into the Witchwood, following the main trail. Those of you who know forests well feel that something is...off, in the woods around you. The animals are more quiet than usual, and there are a few making strange noises, not so extreme as to stand out to an untrained ear, but not noises which normal animals would be making. These sounds only grow more prevalent as you move your way through the forest towards the keep.

It seems that the hobgoblins are positioned mostly in the larger northern part of the forest, as there seem to be none around, at least that you can see. You reach the river, most of the way to the keep. A wide expanse of water has flooded the small valley indent which the river runs through. Trees still protrude from the murky waters here and there, but many large reaches seem to be little more than open pools of algae-cloaked water. The forest road leads up to the edge of a rickety causeway bridge, of old planks of wood covered in moss and lashed together with worn ropes. It's old, but it looks very sturdy, passing over about 100 feet of bog. The animals here are nearly silent, and very few are around to be seen. There is a rather strange looking frog, a sort of mottled gray color, sitting on the edge of the bridge. When it sees you, it jumps back into the water with a strange garbled croak.

Vandar, Elanora:

Looking more closely, you see that the frog didn't actually jump. It looks almost like it...levitated, floating up then lowering quickly into the water below.

There is a wrecked wagon about thirty feet from the side of the causeway, partially embedded in the bog.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-18, 08:49 PM
"Hold on. My Dwarf senses are tingling. That bridge... is the perfect spot for an ambush! They'd just have to cut the ropes and down we'd go down into the bog, were we could be bogged down for their archers!"

Kelpstrand
2009-09-18, 09:46 PM
Vandar

It's possible. That Frog was not normal. Perhaps a disguised person. I myself have been practicing the art of animal transformation, though I have yet to be able to main a form for more than a few seconds. A more skilled magician than I might be able to take that form.

Keld Denar
2009-09-18, 09:55 PM
Ranold

Quickly stringing his bow and knocking an arrow, Ranold asks: Want me to put an arrow in it? If its "just a frog", well, the world won't lament the loss of a single creature. If its "more than a frog", well, 28 inches of yew behind a broadhead will tell us REAL quick!

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-18, 09:56 PM
"Dibs on the legs if it's a frog."

Keld Denar
2009-09-18, 09:59 PM
Ranold

I thought frog legs was an elven delicacy...it might upset your fragile dwarven palet!

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-18, 10:03 PM
"If you'd bother to think about it, you'd also realize that preventing Elves from getting them is a time honored Dwarven tradition."

Doc Roc
2009-09-18, 11:25 PM
Elly powers up her DFI:

Move action to settle herself in the center of the group
Standard action to begin playing quietly, audible no more than fifteen feet out.
Swift for inspirational boost.
EoT->Immediate: Badge of Valor
------

DFI is now up, though she is playing quietly at best.

Saph
2009-09-19, 04:36 AM
Elanora

"Frogs' legs? Eww. You can have them, Fistbeard."

Elanora goes through her power-up sequence, activating several spells of some kind. A fiery dagger appears in her hand once again. "I'll check if it's safe to cross. You guys cover me." Elanora moves quietly up to the bridge, shadows fluttering around her, pauses for a moment to look around and down at the spot where the frog disappeared, then moves forward onto the bridge.

Activate Shield, Expeditious Retreat, Flame Dagger, Adaptive Style. AC is 24, speed 60, Child of Shadow stance active, granting 20% concealment.

Then go up to the bridge and try to cross, moving silently and watching out for any danger.

Move Silently: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]

Oh, and Knowledge (Nature) on the frog to figure out what kind of frog it was: [roll3]

Icewalker
2009-09-19, 02:09 PM
Elanora creeps slowly and silently onto the bridge. There seems to be a slight disturbance in the water to your left, but it could just be the current. Nothing leaps out of the water, arrows don't come flying out of nowhere. It's still quiet.

Kelpstrand
2009-09-19, 02:30 PM
Vandar will take flight, and fly up 40ft, then slowly over to the other side of the river.

He'll instruct Mr Snuggles to catch up to and follow Elanora.

Keld Denar
2009-09-19, 02:34 PM
Ranold

Bow trained on the nearest treeline, Ranold moves steadily forward behind Elanora, scanning the terrain as he goes.

I've got a baaaaaaaaad feeling about this.[/HanSolo]

Doc Roc
2009-09-19, 04:29 PM
Elly reluctantly follows Ranold, keeping an action readied at the end of each turn to fire a launch-item spell+a vial of alchemist's fire at his target.

Icewalker
2009-09-19, 05:17 PM
As you step onto the causeway a massive shape bursts from the water to your left. Vicious eyes glare at you from atop a gray reptilian head with a crest of spines and rows of teeth. Fourteen eyes, in total, seeing as they have seven heads to sit upon.

The hydra rises partway out of the water, still covered, and the heads lash out towards you, one of them taking a snap at Elanora, but is deflected by her protective magics. The beast does not look normal, it's a strange mottled gray color, similar to the frog.

Elly, Elanora:
You can feel something...strange, surrounding this creature. It feels like it's tugging at some part of you, warping your mind slightly. It isn't causing any effects, you can just feel it is exuding an aura of wrong-ness.

Rolls:

[roll0]
[roll1]

Initiative:

Hydra: [roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Icewalker
2009-09-19, 05:28 PM
Map:
http://h.imagehost.org/0227/C1-E2_Hydra.jpg (http://h.imagehost.org/view/0227/C1-E2_Hydra)

Dark blue is water, light blue is bog (2 squares of movement to enter). The slippery surface of the causeway requires a DC 10 Balance check to run or charge.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-19, 05:36 PM
5 ft step closer to the Hydra.

Attack: [roll0]
Dragonfire: [roll2]

Keld Denar
2009-09-19, 06:01 PM
Ranold

Here we go again...
Stepping further back from the Hydra, Ranold opens fire with his bow.

Switching Motivate Dex to Watchful Eye (+3 Ref Saves!)
[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]
[roll3] [roll4] [roll5]
Using the Razor Arrows for slashing damage (RotWild for reference)

EDIT! CRAP! Messed up my arrow damage roll....add +1 to each of those arrow rolls!

Doc Roc
2009-09-19, 10:15 PM
Ranold's bow fire triggers Elly's readied action.
Launch item
[roll0] Hits the square AC of 5, splashes for 1 fire damage.
[roll1] Forgot that splash did one point, not 1d6.
[roll2] DFI damage, sonic.

Doc Roc
2009-09-19, 10:19 PM
Elly's turn will consist of a swift action to put up her armor's mist effect, and a standard action to cast Launch Item.

[roll0] Targeting square ac.
[roll1]

39 Sonic damage across her actions.

Icewalker
2009-09-21, 09:04 PM
Fistbeard steps forwards with a great swing towards the beast, but the weaving heads disorient his line of attack and the blow flies wide. Rearing back for a moment, the monster lashes out with all seven of its heads in a roaring hissing barrage. Two of the heads latch onto Fistbeard and tear away pieces of flesh, while a third misses. Three bites at Elanora are deflected away, but one still curves downwards and rips at her leg. The last head takes a bite at the small following dinosaur, and gives it a shallow gash along its side.

Rolls:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]

Icewalker
2009-09-21, 09:12 PM
Ranold rapidly looses two arrows into the beasts side with a clap of thunder bursting forth from the dragonsong filling the air.

Elly flips two bottles of alchemist's fire into her hands and with a burst of arcane magic, both of the fly out and break against the edge of the causeway, spraying downward onto the hydra with a massive roaring crackle.

Rolls:

[roll0]

[roll1]
[roll2]

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-21, 09:39 PM
I'm taking you down one head at a time.

DFI: [roll2]

Kelpstrand
2009-09-21, 10:12 PM
Mr Snuggles will be ordered to take an attack at the Hydra, need to roll a 2 or higher on handle animal, since he's taken damage.

Vandar will delay until after Fistbeard and Elanora to see if it goes down. If it doesn't he'll be casting a spell.

Handle Animal Check, DC 12: [roll0]
Mr Snuggles attack roll [roll1]
Mr Snuggles damage and DFI damage: [roll2][roll3]

EDIT: /cry. Mr Snuggles didn't obey me! Bad Mr Snuggles! Will wait to see about future action. And look at that DFI damage. 5d6 for 10 damage, average 2 on the dice, that's some crazy there.

Saph
2009-09-22, 05:29 AM
Elanora

"Ow! That hurt! Okay, my turn."

Elanora takes a 5' step northwest so she's next to the hydra, draws one of her shortswords, then strikes at the hydra using both sword and flaming dagger in a Wolf Fang Strike.

Shortsword attack against AC: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] slashing and [roll2] sonic from Dragonfire
Flame Dagger attack against touch AC: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4] fire and [roll5] sonic from Dragonfire

If it's still alive after that she uses her Amulet of Tears as a swift action to gain 12 temp HP. End of turn.

Icewalker
2009-09-23, 10:58 AM
As the weapons and blows rain down on the hydra, great booms of sound ring out as it collapses, dead, back into the river, gray-purple blood streaming into the murky water.

Keld Denar
2009-09-23, 11:27 AM
Ranold

Knocking another arrow, Ranold points his bow at the body.

Is it dead?

Ranold swaps auras back to Motivate Dex.

Kelpstrand
2009-09-23, 12:59 PM
Vandar comes down and lands next to Mr Snuggles. Scolding him mightily!

Perhaps we should finish crossing and check out that Wagon to see if any survived this mighty beast?

Icewalker
2009-09-23, 04:23 PM
The wagon is old and rotting, and clearly was attacked and destroyed long ago, weeks at least.

Kelpstrand
2009-09-23, 04:31 PM
The wagon is old and rotting, and clearly was attacked and destroyed long ago, weeks at least.

Vandar feels very sad :smallfrown:

Probably no bodies to lay out either. Mean old Hydra!

Vandar also feels bad about the dead Hydra, but not as bad.

Keld Denar
2009-09-23, 04:57 PM
Ranold

Unknocking his arrow, Ranold turns to the others. Looks like the road has just been made a little safer, thanks to our actions. Mr. Beardfist, if you would give me a hand pushing whats left of this wagon off the road, lets continue on our way. Those hobgoblins aren't gonna kill themselves.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-23, 05:02 PM
"They might if they had to put up with Elanora's shower singing," Fistbeard dutifully points out.

He shall break out his handy supplies, which include such things as hammers, hatchets, crow bars, and etc which should help move the wagon off of the way.

Icewalker
2009-09-23, 05:15 PM
You easily spend a moment moving the old wagon off the side of the road, and continue on your way. The rest of the trip through the forest is relatively uneventful. You run into no groups of hobgoblins hiding in the woods on the way to the keep.

As the sun hits the center of the sky a great fort looms into view on the horizon. The old castle sits on an old hill, and you can see broken towers through the trees. A small stone covered with moss marks a small foot trail which leads up to the keep. It looks to be a somewhat beaten path, not an unused overgrown one.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-23, 05:31 PM
"This here path has been used enough to be kept in shape; we best keep our eyes out for any signs of hobgoblin activity. They might be watching the path... perhaps we should cut through the woods instead?"

Keld Denar
2009-09-23, 05:39 PM
Ranold

At least Elanora showers often enough to get time to practice her shower singing...

Saph
2009-09-23, 05:42 PM
Elanora

"How about I scout it out? I should be able to tell if there are any hobgoblins there, and I think I can probably manage to not start singing in the shower. Although if one of you could patch up these scratches first that'd help."

OOC: I'm down 12 HP, so if one of you could give me 3 or so shots from my Cure Light Wounds wand, that would be great. Anyone else who needs it can get some healing too. Fistbeard, Elly, and Vandar can all use a CLW wand without any need to roll.

Kelpstrand
2009-09-23, 06:31 PM
Vandar

I do not think it is wise to go alone. I have some of the best ears around. I will come with you. Perhaps we can all move together. I would grieve to lose our surprise with the loss of a companion, better the heavy footfalls or wing beats of a party.

Saph
2009-09-23, 07:18 PM
Elanora

Elanora laughs. "Don't worry so much, I'll be fine! Anyway, there's no way we can keep surprise if all of you follow me, is there? I'll take a quick look then check back and we can decide what to do."

Elanora activates her Shield and Expeditious Retreat spells, uses Adaptive Style, then disappears swiftly into the woods, heading off the trail and up the slope. (I'm assuming one of you guys will heal me before I go out?) "Be right back," she says over her shoulder as she leaves. "Just give me fifteen minutes!"

Elanora will keep off the trail and circle up towards the keep through the trees, hiding and moving silently, looking for any signs of life. If she detects any hobgoblins or similar she'll halt and observe. If she can't detect any enemies she'll go as far as the edge of the keep and up to the windows/doorways/holes in the walls, but no further.

Stance is Hunter's Sense, giving scent. It's getting boring making these rolls over and over again, so I think I'll just start taking 10 on them.

Listen: 17
Spot: 15
Hide: 23
Move Silently: 23

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-23, 07:47 PM
Fistbeard will drink 3 cups of ale in order to heal 18 HP. This puts him at full strength.

Fort saves: [roll0], [roll1], [roll2]

Doc Roc
2009-09-23, 08:50 PM
Elly is still playing bardic music for DFI, softly.

Icewalker
2009-09-23, 09:28 PM
Elanora shifts quietly through the underbrush up the hill towards the fortress. It's a relatively large hill, and takes you a little while to get close. You can see a hobgoblin lounging on the roof of one of the towers, looking out over the path. He doesn't seem to have seen you.

Saph
2009-09-24, 05:22 AM
Elanora

Elanora withdraws back down through the trees to rejoin the others, appearing out of the forest. "Um, guys? Wand?"

(OOC: Still waiting for one of the three of you to use that wand and heal me. Do you guys not want to do it or something?)

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-24, 08:35 AM
"Elly, I think she be talking to you."

Saph
2009-09-24, 08:48 AM
Elanora

"Fistbeard, you're a RANGER! You can use cure wands! Just tap someone and say the command word!"

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-24, 08:51 AM
(I don't think I can do that - I don't even have a caster level yet!)

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-24, 08:53 AM
Assuming that I can, I shall use as many as necessary. Ignore extra rolls.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Saph
2009-09-24, 08:57 AM
Elanora

Elanora sighs. "Ah, that's much better. Honestly, have you really never used one of those before? What do you do when you go on a mission with other dwarves and they get wounded? Offer them beer as well?"

(For reference, here's the link to the relevant SRD section (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#spellTrigger), and here's the relevant text:)

Spell Trigger
Spell trigger activation is similar to spell completion, but it’s even simpler. No gestures or spell finishing is needed, just a special knowledge of spellcasting that an appropriate character would know, and a single word that must be spoken. Anyone with a spell on his or her spell list knows how to use a spell trigger item that stores that spell. (This is the case even for a character who can’t actually cast spells, such as a 3rd-level paladin.) The user must still determine what spell is stored in the item before she can activate it. Activating a spell trigger item is a standard action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-24, 08:58 AM
"I apply first aid, of course. And then beer."

(5 ranks in Heal)

Saph
2009-09-24, 09:07 AM
"Well, whatever works for you. Anyway, here's how it is.

"The keep's occupied; I saw a hobgoblin up on the roof of one of the towers, watching the path. He looked like a sentry, which means there are going to be more down in the keep itself; probably a lot more.

"The good news is that he didn't look all that alert, and I was able to get to spotting distance without him seeing me. How about if we move up through the forest around the side to a safe distance, then I try to scout us a way in? If I can take out the sentry quietly, all of us might be able to get inside while keeping surprise."

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-24, 09:14 AM
"Sounds good to me. Do we have anyone who can't go in all sneaky like?"

Saph
2009-09-24, 09:22 AM
"Well, Vandar and Elly are about as stealthy as a fire giant wearing hobnailed boots. No offense. If we can get rid of the sentry, though, that won't matter. I figure move to a distance beyond where they can hear us, then I'll try to open us up a way in. Anyone else, too, if they're quiet enough."

Doc Roc
2009-09-24, 09:49 AM
Actually, I can sneak. I just can't be useful while I do it. If you want, I can set my mandolin aside, stow it, and see about lightfooting it around with you. That said, it'll take me a bit to get the music going again, which might lead to problems.

Saph
2009-09-24, 10:12 AM
"Could do, but I think we've got a better chance of keeping surprise if I go in on my own. If I can get us a way in with no sentries it won't matter how stealthy everyone is. Once I've found a way in I'll give you a signal and we can make our way inside."

Keld Denar
2009-09-24, 10:44 AM
Ranold

How far is it from the edge of the forest? I could probably make that shot.

No really, my bow has a range of 110 feet, which means I could shoot out to 220 feet with only a -2, and 330 feet with -4. If Elly used a regular Inspire Courage and I use Flame Shot or Lightning Shot, I could probably drop a 2-3rd level hobo sentary in 1 hit and I get 2 shots.

Saph
2009-09-24, 10:47 AM
"Not too far, but there might be another sentry in line of sight of the first one. That's why I'd like to scout in and take a look around first. If I can confirm it's safe, I'll give you a signal to shoot."

Saph
2009-09-24, 11:04 AM
Elanora

Ok, so here's the plan.

First, Elanora will retrace her steps, leading the others up through the woods as close as she can get to the keep while staying safely out of earshot.

Then, she'll sneak forward to the keep and look for sentries, entering the keep if possible. If she can find a way to get up to the sentry's tower, she'll do it; otherwise, she'll just snoop around, looking and listening for movement.

"If I call twice like a magpie, it means the coast's clear; advance into the keep quietly. If I call twice like a buzzard, it means Ranold's clear to shoot out the sentry; move forward quietly and take him out. If you don't know the difference between a magpie and a buzzard, ask one of the others who does. Okay?" Elanora grins. "See you inside!"

Expeditious Retreat and Shield up, as before. Hunter's Sense stance active, giving scent, so Elanora can detect enemies within 30 feet or so. And approach the keep.

Listen: 17
Spot: 15
Hide: 23
Move Silently: 23

What do I see? :)

Icewalker
2009-09-24, 12:39 PM
Approaching the keep in the brush, you make a wide circle around the edge, looking for sentries. There seem to be none other than the first you saw, sitting on the tower which makes the corner of the fort. He is looking out over the path and the open space between the woods and front gate, there's no way you can get in without him seeing you.

Ranold moves up to the edge of the treeline. You can see the sentry, up on the tower. It's a relatively clear shot, easily within the range of your bow (between 110 and 220 feet).

Saph
2009-09-24, 01:46 PM
Elanora calls twice like a buzzard. "Kew, kew."

Then she settles into cover and watches expectantly. "Okay, Mr. Archer, do your thing . . ."

(Switch over to Child of Shadow stance, renew Expeditious Retreat and Shield while I wait.)

Doc Roc
2009-09-24, 04:40 PM
Elly switches over to her normal IC, going through the buff routine again.

Keld Denar
2009-09-24, 04:58 PM
Ranold

Before the DFI wears off, Ranold looses 2 shots at the Hobgoblin in the tower.

Initiating Lightning Bolt
[roll0] [roll1] [roll2] [roll3]

[roll4] [roll5] [roll6] [roll7]

Icewalker
2009-09-25, 11:21 AM
Two arrows streak silently out from the woods and embed themselves in the chest of the hobgoblin lookout with a crackle of lightning. The creature stumbles backwards, and slumps over the back of the tower, falling from the parapet and striking the ground a moment later with a loud thud.

Rolls:

[roll0]

Saph
2009-09-25, 12:12 PM
Elanora

"Let's hope they didn't hear that," Elanora mutters, then breaks cover, moving quickly and quietly up to the front gate. As she runs, a dagger of fire appears in one hand. Once she reaches the gate she stops, hiding in the shadows of the gateposts, and looks inside.

Kelpstrand
2009-09-25, 12:18 PM
Vandar will cast produce flame and start flying up to the lookout, instructing Mr Snuggles to guard Elanora.

At your discretion on his intelligence of natural stealthiness he may take ten on Hide/MS when following Elanora for 20 Hide and 18 MS. Also, +2 to both rolls if he counts as in forested terrain.

Keld Denar
2009-09-25, 02:06 PM
Ranold

Refocusing his manevuers, Ranold prepares to advance!

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-25, 02:26 PM
Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]

Fistbeard will trail behind Elanora as she suggested.

Icewalker
2009-09-26, 02:47 AM
Fistbeard and Elanora move up quietly, trailed by Vandar's pet. Ranold and Elly hang back in the woods, while Vandar flies to the parapet.

In the courtyard which makes up the middle of the fort are two hobgoblins. One of them is mounted on a worg, the other dismounted next to his worg, bending down over the body of the hobgoblin lookout. The mounted hobgoblin begins to quickly move off towards another door at the side of the courtyard. The second looks up at the gateway where you hide in the shadows as he remounts his worg. His eyebrows knit slightly, but he shrugs it off and moves to join his companion headed for the door.

Rolls:

[roll0]

Saph
2009-09-26, 06:08 AM
Elanora

Elanora waits silently as the first worg rider opens the door. As soon as the first worg rider has disappeared, and the second has turned his back, Elanora gives a hand signal to the others and breaks cover, running silently forward. Flame flashes around both her weapons as she jumps and slashes at the hobgoblin.

Move action to move up behind the hobgoblin, drawing a shortsword as I go. If he's within 30 feet, I can even move silently while doing it: [roll0].
Then activate Burning Blade and attack with Wolf Fang Strike.
Attack rolls assume I'm affected by Elly's Inspire Courage. If I'm not, subtract 5 from the attack rolls and damage rolls.
Shortsword attack against flat-foot AC: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] slashing and [roll3] fire
Flame Dagger attack against flat-foot touch AC: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5] fire and [roll6] fire

Defensive Stats: AC 24, HP 26, 20% concealment.

Keld Denar
2009-09-26, 11:37 AM
Ranold

Leveling his bow at the mounted hobgoblin riding toward the door, Ranold looses another volley and moves 5' forward.

Initiating Multiple Shot(extra attack, all attacks at -2) + Rapid Shot
[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5]

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-26, 01:19 PM
(Would like to know what the exact situation is like before continuing)

Saph
2009-09-26, 04:22 PM
(I waited for the first hobgoblin to get inside and out of sight, then jumped the remaining one. I was hoping you and the dino could take out the worg. I'm not really sure what Ranold's doing.)

Doc Roc
2009-09-27, 02:27 AM
Elly will trail Ranold at a good distance, and hold her action until initiative count 1.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-27, 01:12 PM
Charge at the Worg!

Attack: [roll0] (PA for 2)
DamagE: [roll1]

Icewalker
2009-09-28, 06:34 PM
Arrows fly as Elanora runs forwards in an arc up to the hobgoblins. As you approach you can see the same strange matted spread of colors that the cleric and warrior hobgoblins had before, spread over these two as well.

Elanora smoothly dashes up and leaps at the back of the lagging rider, blade slicing through his back with a slight flourish of fire. The fire seems to fizzle slightly where it passes the reddened patches of fur on the hobgoblin. The flaming dagger sinks into the beasts back to the same slight reduction of strength, but still pierces deep. The creature gurgles once as it slides from the back of the worg, falling to the ground.

Three arrows sink into the back of the second hobgoblin, who howls in pain and alarm and nearly collapses as he brings his worg around.

Fistbeard rushes forwards and sinks his axe into the worg of the now dismounted rider, which barks loudly in pain at the blow, and breaks into a massive snarl showing its many sharp teeth.

Rolls:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

[roll5]

Kelpstrand
2009-09-28, 06:53 PM
Vandar delays. Mr snuggles will continue following orders, Moving up and attacking (with a charge if possible) the nearest threat to Elanora. Probably a Worg.

Saph
2009-09-28, 07:29 PM
Elanora

Before the worg has a chance to react, Elanora sheathes her shortsword, says an arcane word, and sends a lethal charge of electricity into the worg with a touch of her hand.

Move action: Sheathe sword.
Standard action: Shocking Grasp on the Worg.
Swift action: Activate Amulet of Tears. Gain 12 temp HP.

Touch attack against Worg: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] electricity

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-28, 08:17 PM
"Who's next, eh?"

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-29, 12:41 AM
"You there, the barely living rider on an unharmed worg! You want some of this?"

(Where is he?)

Keld Denar
2009-09-30, 12:11 AM
Ranold

Lining these arrows to follow the last, Ranold's bow sings again, straight to the hobgoblin.

Initiating Lightning Bolt
[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]
[roll3] [roll4] [roll5]
Crap, forgot my IC damage, add 5 to the Dmg1 and Dmg2 totals.

2nd shot at the worg if the 1st drops the hobo.

Doc Roc
2009-09-30, 10:40 AM
Elly holds off to see the results of Keld's shots before she considers launching anything.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-30, 02:21 PM
"Oi, you stole my kill!"

Fistbeard charges at the Worg

Icewalker
2009-10-01, 07:20 PM
Elanora grasps a handful of the Worg's neck and crackles of lightning burst forth, searing a handprint of black scorched flesh in the beast, which crumples to the ground.

Two arrows streak through the air, the first impaling the hobgoblin and knocking him straight off his mount with a crackle of lightning, the second thudding into the side of his worg, shortly followed by the axe of an angry dwarf. The beast slumps over as the blade pierces its chest.

All four of your opponents lie dead or bleeding out on the ground, but the actions were probably noticed. And were certainly noticed by the beast which is now crouching on top of a small half ruined building, a horrifying mottled orange beast with great wings, covered in spikes. You recognize it as a manticore. It is watching, but not directly attacking you.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-10-01, 07:52 PM
"Stand back, I can handle him!"

[roll0]

"Calm down there, nice and easy."

Keld Denar
2009-10-01, 07:53 PM
Ranold

(Assuming a new round) Ranold lowers his head and sprints up to regain the group.

4x move for 120 feet to get him somewhere near Fistbeard, bow still in hand.

Kelpstrand
2009-10-01, 09:05 PM
Vandar readies an action to cast Blinding Spittle should the Manticore look like it's about to attack.

Doc Roc
2009-10-01, 10:46 PM
Elly hums intently and readies an action for launch item.

Saph
2009-10-02, 05:53 AM
Elanora

. . . concentrates and takes a full-round action to recover and change her maneuvers.

Icewalker
2009-10-04, 10:48 PM
The manticore gives Fistbeard a puzzled look. "Wha'du say, Dwarf?"

At this point the door the riders were headed towards bursts open, shouldered open by a massive minotaur, followed by a squad of four hobgoblin warriors. Two of them look tired and a little dazed, and aren't wearing the banded mail the other two are. "What in the name of five are you sittin' there for!" The minotaur bellows at the manticore. "Kill them!"

Vandar, Fistbeard, Ranold:
You can see that the four hobgoblins all have the same slight chromatic patches to their fur. This pattern is much more obvious on the minotaur, and you can almost see the outlines of scales under his fur. There are slight veins of color running the length of his horns, and there are strangely color-tinted claws extending from his fingers.

Initiative:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-10-04, 10:54 PM
Fistbeard blinks twice before responding to the manticore. I, uh, was saying that I wasn't going to attack you if you weren't going to attack me.

If you'd stay on the sidelines, I could do you a favor by getting rid of the idiot who's shouting at you.

Doc Roc
2009-10-05, 10:52 AM
He's good for his word, you know....

Elly is going to blow the hobbies to hell, via her readied action. She's near Ranold. I need a map first.

Icewalker
2009-10-05, 09:07 PM
In the moment's pause between the arrival of the minotaur and his forces, and the slaughter of the riders, you first observe the courtyard you've been fighting in. Some large boulders are embedded in the ground in places, and three massive skeletons lay around the fort. It seems that the place may have had a battle with giants long ago.

Map:
http://a.imagehost.org/0084/C1-E3_Fortress_Yard.jpg (http://a.imagehost.org/view/0084/C1-E3_Fortress_Yard)

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-10-05, 09:35 PM
"If you'll excuse me, I have some heads to bash."

Fistbeard charges at the minotaur.

Kelpstrand
2009-10-05, 10:08 PM
So assuming that we have won Init. Vandar will choose to discard his readied action and set about Entangling the enemies. DC 19. (Such that the entangle ends just short of Elanora). If they win Init, my readied action should still apply.

Additionally, A Handle Animal on Mr Snuggles to order him to 5ft step forward and ready an action to spit if they should approach.

Doc Roc
2009-10-06, 03:45 PM
Elly uses launch item for her readied action, aiming it at the grid intersection of the four squares which contain both the armored hobgoblin and the minotaur.

During her turn, she will use her swift to throw up obscuring mists from her armor, and her standard to drop glitterdust at the square between the unarmored hob and the bottom most armored hob.

Icewalker
2009-10-06, 06:49 PM
As they begin to act, two things soar into the air. The first a vial of swirling red paste, the second a spray of spittle arcing downwards from Vandar. The bottle bursts onto the ground with a burning spray, catching the minotaur and the hobgoblin, but the fire dissipates amongst their red tinted patches. The spittle splashes over the Manticore's eyes, which falls back through a hole in the ceiling of the building it is perched on with a roaring shout.

Rolls:

[roll0]

[roll1]

Icewalker
2009-10-06, 07:02 PM
With a snort, the minotaur crouches slightly and charges Elanora with a massive intimidating roar! The two awake hobgoblins follow him directly, one charging Fistbeard, the second Elly with intimidating shouts of their own.

Elanora smoothly deflects the strength of the Minotaur's strike, but the two hobgoblins' longsword blows both connect with their targets in vicious blows.

The two unarmored warriors move up alongside their allies, but don't strike out themselves.

Rolls:

[roll0]
[roll1]

DC 14:
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
Pet [roll7]

[roll8]
DC 12:
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
Pet [roll14]

[roll15]
DC 12:
[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]
[roll20]
Pet [roll21]

[roll22]
[roll23]

[roll24]
[roll25]

Icewalker
2009-10-06, 07:09 PM
Map:
http://i.imagehost.org/0563/C1-E3_Fortress_Yard.jpg (http://i.imagehost.org/view/0563/C1-E3_Fortress_Yard)

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-10-06, 07:15 PM
Fistbeard will press the attack by striking the unarmored hobgoblin next to him.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-10-06, 07:17 PM
Crit Confirmation: [roll0]

"Eat Urgrosh!"

Keld Denar
2009-10-06, 07:28 PM
Ranold

Stepping 5' to the north, Ranold's bow sings a familiar song! Both arrows aimed straight at the large minotaur straight in front of him.

Initiating Lightning Shot
[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]
[roll3] [roll4] [roll5]

Kelpstrand
2009-10-06, 07:54 PM
After Elly and Elanora have gone, Vandar will cast Mass Snake's Swiftness, after requesting that the group focus on the Minotaur.

He will then handle animal Mr Snuggles to 5ft step back, and shoot a cone of poison on th Minotaur and the two northern goblins.

Saph
2009-10-06, 08:01 PM
Elanora

Elanora dives and rolls out of the way of the minotaur's strike and between two of the hobgoblins, shadows fluttering around her. The unnerving roar has made her movements a little less graceful than usual, but she still comes up right behind the minotaur and with a touch, sends a claw of smoky air to rip at him . . .

. . . and misses. Hold charge on the spell.

Move action: Tumble SW, W, NW, N.

Tumble check for minotaur, DC 15: [roll0]
Tumble check for armoured hobbo, DC 17: [roll1]
Tumble check for unarmoured hobbo, DC 19: [roll2]

Standard action: Belker Claws on the minotaur.

Melee touch attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4] untyped and he takes another 2d12 next turn.

Elanora has 20% concealment from her Child of Shadow stance. AC is 24. End turn.

Saph
2009-10-06, 08:05 PM
Elanora (again)

Snake's Swiftness means I get another attack on the minotaur with the Belker Claws, since I'm holding the charge. Let's have another go.

Damage: [roll1] untyped.

Much better.

Keld Denar
2009-10-06, 10:48 PM
Ranold

Snakes Swiftness attack, again at the minotaur.

[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]

Doc Roc
2009-10-06, 11:24 PM
Elly can't take advantage of SS without breaking her bardic song, unfortunately. That's still going, by the way, for +5/5 to AB and Damage.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-10-06, 11:27 PM
Oh, er.... it's that bard song?

Icewalker, sorry.... can you compensate for the mistake?

Icewalker
2009-10-07, 01:16 AM
Fistbeard's urgosh sinks deeply into the chest of the hobgoblin in front of him, then as sparkles of green settle over him from Vandar's spell, he rapidly yanks out the weapon and sinks it right back in again, this time the metal showing through on the other side of the thing. It collapses with a visible hole through its chest.

Three arrows pierce the field, crackling with lightning, and sink into the broad chest of the minotaur. The lightning dissipates slightly among its patches of blue but the arrows sink deep.

A spray of poison shoots out over the enemies from the small dinosaur. The armored hobgoblin recoils, clawing at his eyes as the poison strikes his face, but the unarmored opponent is unharmed.

Elanora delivers two swift grasps with a shadowy claw, the first going wide, but with a quick recovery the second thrusts into the minotaurs throat, fastens, and tears, ripping the cords in the beast's neck out of his body as his lifeless corpse collapses.

Swiftly ending her song, Elly whips a vial out as mist engulfs her. The small glass container streaks through the air, smashing right on the face of the hobgoblin, alchemist's fire streaming over his eyes and through his mouth, opened wide in screams of pain. Despite the burning pain however, much of the fire evaporates from the red patches on the thing's face.

Rolls:

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]

Icewalker
2009-10-07, 01:21 AM
Seeing their battle commander fall, the remaining three hobgoblins turn tail and flee, sprinting as best they can back towards the door. The blinded hobgoblin lags behind slightly, feeling his away long the wall as he tries to escape.

Saph
2009-10-07, 04:35 AM
AoO against armoured non-blinded hobgob with Flame Dagger:

Damage: [roll1] fire

Don't have Combat Reflexes, so only the one shot.

Saph
2009-10-07, 04:49 AM
Elanora

Elanora pursues the same armoured hobgoblin that she just hit, stabbing at it with her flame dagger.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-10-07, 07:31 AM
AoO

"Oi, get back her and fight like a man!"

Icewalker
2009-10-09, 06:25 PM
Elanora's two burning strikes and Fistbeard's vicious axe blow connect readily and harshly into the fleeing hobgoblin, dropping him to the ground as the last strike digs deep. The remaining two soldiers flee into the barracks.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-10-09, 08:42 PM
Fistbeard will chug alcohol to heal 9 hitpoints.

Fort Save: [roll0]

29/40 HP

Saph
2009-10-09, 08:45 PM
Elanora

Elanora goes after the fleeing hobgoblins. Pursue them into the barracks and attack.