PDA

View Full Version : [4e]Thunderball Swordmage?

NeoVid
2009-08-28, 02:17 AM
I was getting interested in the Swordmage class, and as I planned out a character, I saw the class' big weakness seems to be very weak damage, and not much way to make up for that without hurting my ability to defend.

Then with more searching, I heard repeatedly about the Thunderball Swordmage, and its beyond-insane AoE at-will damage output that also helps defend. Google searching revealed half a dozen references to the build, but no sign of how to actually make it or much hint at what powers the combo uses or how they're tricked out.

I really want to see how this is done, since I can't even start to guess at how this build works.

Burley
2009-08-28, 07:39 AM
I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about, but here's something that you may want to look into for the swordsage:
Multiclass into Wizard, take the feat that increases you blast and burst powers by 1 for a -2 to damage, and then the feat that gives you an extra +2 to damage if you hit 2 or more enemies. It's pretty sick. I think there is also a feat that lets you turn your burst powers into area attacks.

NPCMook
2009-08-28, 07:55 AM
You must be referring to Sword burst Cheese.

Its completely and 100% playable and truly shows its powers at level 20.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 20
Genasi, Swordmage
Swordmage Aegis: Aegis of Ensnarement
Arcane Admixture Damage Type: Arcane Admixture Cold
Arcane Admixture II: Arcane Admixture Thunder II
Elemental Manifestation: Stormsoul
Arcane Admixture Power: Sword Burst
Arcane Admixture II: Sword Burst

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 12, Dex 11, Int 21, Wis 15, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 11, Dex 10, Int 18, Wis 14, Cha 10.

AC: 25 Fort: 22 Reflex: 25 Will: 24
HP: 141 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 35

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +20, Intimidate +15, Insight +17, Athletics +15

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +10, Bluff +10, Diplomacy +10, Dungeoneering +12, Endurance +13, Heal +12, History +15, Nature +14, Perception +12, Religion +15, Stealth +10, Streetwise +10, Thievery +10

FEATS
Level 1: Arcane Initiate
Level 2: White Lotus Riposte
Level 4: Enlarge Spell
Level 6: Focused Expertise (Longsword)
Level 8: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade)
Level 10: Echoes of Thunder
Level 11: Arcane Admixture
Level 12: Arcane Admixture II
Level 14: Lasting Frost
Level 16: Resounding Thunder
Level 18: White Lotus Master Riposte
Level 20: Coordinated Explosion

POWERS
Arcane Initiate: Thunderwave
Swordmage at-will 1: Sword Burst

====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======
Sword Burst is now a Burst 3, deals Force/Thunder/Cold Damage, makes enemies Vulnerable 5 to cold, Any enemy you hit with this attack that attacks you again before the end of your next turn you can repeat the attack again. You can also take Arcane Reach if you want to put the points into dex for it, Wintertouched is also a nice addition since you gain Combat Advantage against enemies vulnerable to cold. I'm not 100% sure if this was the build you were referring to, but this will most likely anger your DM greatly. Bonus points for taking Total Aegis to mark multiple targets.

Master_Rahl22
2009-08-28, 08:07 AM
Yes, you're talking about Swordburst cheese. You take Reach Spell to allow you to cast a Close arcane power at range 2, and then several Wizard feats that do cool things with AOE powers.

NeoVid
2009-08-28, 12:16 PM
Huh... the combo takes that many feats to set up? No wonder I wasn't seeing it.

With what I've seen Yakk say about the build in my searching, it'd be worth doing, but it would leave me pretty much no room to do what I want with my character. Damn.