PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Homunculus / Wall of Stone

Chrizzt
2009-08-28, 05:18 AM
Hello folks!

I have two different questions to ask that are in no way related, but this way there's one thread less on these forums, as my second question is perhaps easily answered.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Question 1:
Consider you are willing to spend 9050 GP to craft yourself an advanced 6 HD (classic MM1 non-Eberron) Homunculus, what nice feats would you choose for it? (You have the possibility to swap it's first feat (Lightning Reflexes) for anything you want.

I have been playing with the thought of creating a homunculus, and, as "a homunculus’s creator determines its precise features", I would shape it to resemble myself (remember Dr Evils Minime?).

The homunculus is more thought of (in this case) as a prestige object that should have beneficial uses. Our campaign is often roleplay focused, so combat abilities against CL appropriate foes are no issue.

Ideas I had so far:

a) The Sentinel

I have considered swapping Lightning Reflexes for Alertness (as Listen and Spot are on the Homunculus' "class" skill list) and then give it both Skill Focus Listen and Spot to further it's senses. If i toy around with it's skills too (so that it has fewer skill points in Hide, but more in Listen and Spot), it will end up with (9 Base + 1 for Wisdom + 2 for Alertness + 3 for Skill Focus) +15 for Listen and Spot.

b) The Eldritch Servant

The feat Night Haunt from Complete Arcane grants Prestidigitation, Unseen Servant and Ghost Light. With this feat, the homunculus gets some handy spell like abilities that could benefit its master (and be it just for cleaning and other manual tasks in the Laboratory). Again, Lightning Reflexes seems not fitting for this kind of homunculus. Which other feats would come in handy in this case?

c) That nasty little Bastard

Lightning reflexes swapped for Ability Focus (Poison), then at 3 HD it gets Flyby Attack. At 6 HD it gets Weapon Finesse.
With this variant the homunculus would guard the Wizards home to fend off low-level intruders and put them to sleep.
As mentioned, our campaign is often roleplay focused. My 10 Level Wizard could therefore expect, that fluffwise a 2nd or 3rd Level rogue tries to sneak into his Laboratory to steal his stuff.

Of course, there are FAR more potent ways of keeping people out for a 10th Level Magic User.

Which kinds of other nice possibilities come into your mind, when you think about it?

------------------------------------------------------------------

Question 2:
The 5th Level Spell "Wall of Stone" says "This spell creates a wall of rock that merges into adjoining rock surfaces." Furthermore "it must merge with and be solidly supported by existing stone."

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wallofstone.htm

How could you use the spell to create Walls for example on a grass lawn? I have thought of
1. using Mud to Rock to create a foundation, then
2. Cast Wall of Stone
3. Dispel the (unfortunately only) permanent Mud to Rock
4. Somehow carefully push it (slowly) over so that the solid (now toppled over) Wall-of-Stone rests horizontally and can now work as a non-dispelable foundation.

This way you could create buildings made of rock on non-rock-surfaces, but perhabs there are easier ways to accomplish this?

Thank you in Advance!

BobVosh
2009-08-28, 05:27 AM
*ignores Homunculus as I have no experience with em.*

You could do major creation for a large, but thin rock section. Build your wall of stone on it. Then have a cleric stone shape it to your satisfaction.

shadzar
2009-08-28, 05:41 AM
Ignore the stupidity int he Wall of Stone, and accept it should be said that the wall must be supported by something able to support it.

You cannot create a wall of Stone in mid air.

It just has to have something on the ground to support it as any wall is supported by the ground. So no making a stone wall in the middle of a wooden ship.

The problem comes with rules like this where they try to make everything a rule so as not to confuse people, yet make stupid mistakes by not actually explaining what you are trying to do in the rules, or worse trying to stiffle people's ability to use spells in a way other than the books author thought best to use them. :smalleek:

You want a wall of stone in a grass field? Just cast it an up sprouts your wall. If you aren't on level ground thought you will likely have a fallen/broken wall of stone laying on the ground.

The rules are only guidelines, and common sense* needs to be reintroduced into the game. :smallsmile:

*Not you, but the game design itself.

Trouvere
2009-08-28, 05:46 AM
Try to argue with your DM that a homunculus need not be limited to Hide, Listen and Spot as class skills. That rule that you only get what you see in the sample stat block is fine for general monsters, but makes very little sense for a purpose-built construct. Its base ability array could also be re-arranged. You could put an 11 into Int, and increase it at 4 HD for an extra 3 skill points, for instance.

If you can swing those changes, then all sorts of possibilities open up.

Possibly the most useful would be a Crystal Waver - Psionic Affinity and Skill Focus (Use Psionic Device). Homunculi can't speak, but psionic items require command thoughts - no problem. Better than a raven familiar, since familiars share their master's skill ranks.

You've already mentioned a Flyby Attacker and a Camp Guard (low light vision, darkvision, never sleeps or rests, telepathically linked to its master... awesome).

You could make a Lock Picker (they don't cost a lot more than a wand of Knock, and your Rogue might be grateful to put the skill points somewhere else), or a Tracker. A Scout, a Spy. A Make Up Artist (who takes ranks in Disguise ordinarily? Give it some Forgery ranks too!). An Advisor (Sense Motive). A Pickpocket.

Can they read? Oh well, spend 2 skill points on literacy and force the point. Enough Autohypnosis for +5. Open Minded twice, Jack of All Trades. Skill points in two Knowledge skills that the master is weak in and Decipher Script (each at +10, probably better than you are). Set it to read everything in a library, 24 hours a day, and periodically give you a summary (to the best of its Int 12) with autohypnotic recall.

Johel
2009-08-28, 07:01 AM
The Igor :

They are a bit weak on Intelligence and Charisma but what about giving them Skill Focus : Use Magic Device, Magical Aptitude and Skill Focus : Spellcraft ?

That's a UMD score of +5:

Skill Focus UMD : +3
Magical Aptitude : +2
Synergy with Spellcraft : +2
Charisma : -2

You got a Homunuculus that can use wands with a 25% chance of success.
Can be used as a laboratory assistant or as a spellcasting (though unreliable) cohort.
Enjoy :smallwink:

Trouvere
2009-08-28, 07:23 AM
The Igor :You got a Homunuculus that can use wands with a 25% chance of successSadly, this doesn't work, since wands require a command word, and homunculi cannot speak. That's why even when the master has UMD ranks, only ravens (or certain improved familiars) can operate as supplementary wand wielders. A homunculus could use thought-activated psionic items, though, as I said above.

Darrin
2009-08-28, 04:12 PM
Sadly, this doesn't work, since wands require a command word, and homunculi cannot speak. That's why even when the master has UMD ranks, only ravens (or certain improved familiars) can operate as supplementary wand wielders. A homunculus could use thought-activated psionic items, though, as I said above.

Pearl of Speech. MIC p. 118, 900 GP.

Johel
2009-08-28, 04:24 PM
Pearl of Speech. MIC p. 118, 900 GP.

While this work, let's not become crazy here.
118.900 gp to get a talking pile of dirt ?
I bet our wizard has better use for his hard-earned gold.

Congrats for the thought, anyway.

Gralamin
2009-08-28, 04:29 PM
While this work, let's not become crazy here.
118.900 gp to get a talking pile of dirt ?
I bet our wizard has better use for his hard-earned gold.

Congrats for the thought, anyway.

Thats Page 118. And 900 GP

Edit: Actually checking MIC, its 600 GP.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-08-28, 04:33 PM
How could you use the spell to create Walls for example on a grass lawn? I have thought of
1. using Mud to Rock to create a foundation, then
2. Cast Wall of Stone
3. Dispel the (unfortunately only) permanent Mud to Rock
4. Somehow carefully push it (slowly) over so that the solid (now toppled over) Wall-of-Stone rests horizontally and can now work as a non-dispelable foundation.

The wall created need not be vertical

You don't need to push it. Just create a quite thin layer of horizontal stone, in any shape you like, so it looks aesthetically pleasing and not a huge collapsed wall. Dispel the Mud to Rock (why can't you just dismiss it?), leaving the undispelled thin layer of stone behind. Non-dispellable, aesthetically pleasing, and no need for heavy labour.

Johel
2009-08-28, 04:35 PM
Thats Page 118. And 900 GP

Edit: Actually checking MIC, its 600 GP.

...ok :smallbiggrin:

Forbiddenwar
2009-08-28, 05:56 PM
do homoculus have tongues? If so, how can they not speak already? I thought it was missing a component to speak.