PDA

View Full Version : You've got 2 nights a month to game...

ken-do-nim
2009-08-28, 09:50 AM
Do you
(a) Play one rpg twice a month
(b) Play two different rpg's each once a month
(c) Play one rpg once a month, and have a boardgame night the other night

So right now I game once a month using Rules Cyclopedia D&D as my rpg. I also like boardgames and I want to try Alternity using the Dark Matter campaign setting. I'm currently leaning towards (c) and missing out on Alternity (I don't know if I could get players for it anyway). But I'm curious how other Playgrounders game. Do you prefer getting into one rpg more? Are you boardgamers as well? I'm starting to wonder if there is a split between the rpg crowd and the boardgame crowd.

Kylarra
2009-08-28, 09:53 AM
Given a choice, I'd do a.

Sanguine
2009-08-28, 09:57 AM
I love me my board games but I've fot to go with A or possibly B depending on the systems I would be playing, but most likely A.

shadzar
2009-08-28, 10:02 AM
2 nights a month? :smalleek:

Same RPG for both nights.

Monthly games just have too much time between for me to care. I can play board games online any day.

NorseItalian
2009-08-28, 10:06 AM
A. If you only play an RPG once a month there is no way for people to get attached to it. The story will never be properly developed as everyone will forget it over that long period of time and even if they do remember it they will never have enough time to develop their characters. Twice a month isn't much better, but it's much more workable.

paddyfool
2009-08-28, 10:07 AM
c. I like boardgames.

Epinephrine
2009-08-28, 10:16 AM
a), I've tried less frequently than once every 2 weeks, but it really loses something. I get to game once a week, and originally we were alternating two campaigns, but even every two weeks was frustrating, and we tend to play one campaign at a time (weekly) rather than 2 campaigns bi-weekly.

ken-do-nim
2009-08-28, 10:16 AM
A. If you only play an RPG once a month there is no way for people to get attached to it. The story will never be properly developed as everyone will forget it over that long period of time and even if they do remember it they will never have enough time to develop their characters. Twice a month isn't much better, but it's much more workable.

Actually, I wish it's been 1 night a month. Lately it's been more like 1 night every 2 months, because of cancellations and vacations. But with the winter coming, we should settle back into every month.

The other advantage of boardgame nights is that it will tend to draw a different crowd, allowing me to regularly see friends I wouldn't otherwise see as often.

Kylarra
2009-08-28, 10:19 AM
Well if you can't manage to keep an rpg stable more than once/month and your boardgames draw a better crowd, I'd opt for D) just have gaming days twice a month then.

Another_Poet
2009-08-28, 10:22 AM

This one. Assuming you have a GM who can do both sessions each month, this will be the most fulfilling option.

ap

Killer Angel
2009-08-28, 10:27 AM
Do you

It really depends on what do you and the rest of your group like more.
Personally, i'd go with A.
C is not bad, if you like boardgames a lot .
I wouldn't recommend B.

Delwugor
2009-08-28, 10:49 AM
My main gaming group does A with D&D which is great because we are very big into character development and roleplaying them to the fullest.

The second group I play with does B which is also great because I get to play something besides D&D and fantasy. We are playing both SWSE and Marvel, both really good games and systems even though they are completely different.
This group basically runs single shot adventures that fit into one gaming session, which was difficult to adjust to for me but works well when you only play the character once a month.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-08-28, 10:51 AM
I'd go with D, two boardgames per month. And I don't even like boardgames. Having two weeks or more between sessions would kill any hope of immersion, remembering what's going on, staying in character, etc. My memory is horrible.

Catch
2009-08-28, 11:00 AM
You might just consider running one-shot adventures if your group can't meet reliably and regularly. It's less time spent on a story no one will remember anyway, and if a player can't make it, filling in for them isn't an issue.

Jarawara
2009-08-28, 11:05 AM
I choose E: Same RPG twice a month, for a few months, then take a break and play some boardgames twice a month for a few months, then back to RPG's, either the same RPG as before, or a different game if someone else wants a shot at it. Plus toss in a movie night now and then.

Then you have variety, without long pauses in between each session.

*~*

Besides, I play long boardgames. We'd start a boardgame, and it would take twice-monthly sessions for several months to complete ONE playthrough, and the board would pretty much fill the table, so no room to RPG until it's finished.

Kylarra
2009-08-28, 11:06 AM
You might just consider running one-shot adventures if your group can't meet reliably and regularly. It's less time spent on a story no one will remember anyway, and if a player can't make it, filling in for them isn't an issue.That's something else I'd considered suggesting.

ken-do-nim
2009-08-28, 12:09 PM
You might just consider running one-shot adventures if your group can't meet reliably and regularly. It's less time spent on a story no one will remember anyway, and if a player can't make it, filling in for them isn't an issue.

I'm sincerely hoping that we will start being able to meet reliably and regularly and more often. It all has to do with the babysitting.

ken-do-nim
2009-08-28, 12:37 PM
I'd go with D, two boardgames per month. And I don't even like boardgames. Having two weeks or more between sessions would kill any hope of immersion, remembering what's going on, staying in character, etc. My memory is horrible.

Two weeks between sessions is too long for you? Wow. Let me tell you, once you have kids, the weekly game is a thing of the past.

(Actually, I have heard of a "Dad's Game" where a bunch of guys meet in some guy's garage at 9 pm every Friday night and play until 3 am. I'm sure they have kind wives who let them sleep late on Saturday.)

Foryn Gilnith
2009-08-28, 12:40 PM
Two weeks between sessions is too long for you? Wow. Let me tell you, once you have kids, the weekly game is a thing of the past.

That's why I play PbP. Instead of one hours-long session every few weeks, I get a short little blurb every day or so to remind me about the plot. But that's beside the point.

Lycan 01
2009-08-28, 05:02 PM
A. That's how I did it back home. We'd usually play Call of Cthulhu, running on average a game every other week. Sometimes we managed 3 games a month, so I might squeeze in a seperate story for the extra session. In the end, it got to be once, maybe twice a month for us, and we alternated between games depending on the players' mood.

Right now, I've got a new college group set up, and I intend to DM at least one game a week for them. However, I think every other Friday we're going to do a campaign centric game. I just don't know what campaign yet. It'll just depend on what they prefer between DnD 4e, Dark Heresy, and a homebrewed superhero game. The superhero game actually killed my last CoC campaign. We played a game, just to see how well it worked, and it ended up becoming everybody's favorite game, since the rules were simple, the game was fun, and you actually got to live out the dream of being your own custom-made superhero...

Whoops, got a bit off topic. Anyway, once I see what everybody's favorite game is, I'll plan (at least) 2 special Friday sessions each month for a serious campaign game. So yeah, option A. :smallbiggrin:

oxybe
2009-08-28, 05:07 PM
Do you

bring both the RPG book & the boardgame, so if you miss some people for your RPG, you can have a boardgame instead. generally speaking, the boardgame is carcasonne.

this works for us.