PDA

View Full Version : Class fixes

Shinizak
2009-08-28, 02:06 PM
I'm currently working on an entirely new setting, and reworking the physical classes (and a bit of the sorcerer since it's off) and I was wondering if you had any favorite fixes that still keep the classes within their basic intent.

Classes needing most attention included:

Bard
fighter
Monk
paladin

sadi
2009-08-28, 02:10 PM
I'd like to see the paladin with bard type spell casting progression. That at least would give a bit more flexibility and combat buff ability to help with combat.

lsfreak
2009-08-28, 02:11 PM
Monk: Assuming no unarmed swordsage or Fax's excellent fix in the Homebrew section, tack on full BAB, the ability to move at base speed during flurry of blows, scale weapon damage with unarmed damage, and allow the use of light armor or reduce the cost of bracers of armor. Also allow the ability to enchant unarmed strikes somehow.

Paladin: Crusader or OneWinged4ngel's rebalanced paladin (oboards) or Fax's paladin are best.

Fighter: I don't have one yet. When quickly making up an NPC fighter I use the one from Rebalancing Compendium on BG for simple ease, or I make a warblade.

Bard: Not sure, I'm used to Dragonfire Inspiration or Sublime Chord bards that don't have that many problems.

Kroy
2009-08-28, 02:14 PM
Paladin: Replace with ToB Crusader
Fighter: Replace with ToB Warblade
Monk: Replace with ToB Unarmed Swordsage.

Starscream
2009-08-28, 02:16 PM
Yeah, Fax's Monk (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Monk) gives the class the awesomeness they deserve.

The dungeoncrasher variant of Fighter is an improvement, but probably not enough of one by itself.

I've always felt that Bards are only underpowered if you stick to core. Let them get some of the Bardic Music feats from other supplements, some of the spells from Spell Compendium, and the Seeker of the Song, Virtuoso or Sublime Chord prestige classes and you get a pretty good character.

For Paladins, I had it so that they slowly gain the Saint template from BoED as they progress. It's considered a somewhat broken template, but because they get it slowly and are an underpowered class to begin with, it's not too unbalancing.

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-28, 03:08 PM
One thig I do for Fighter's is give them the Weapon Focus/Specialization feats for free at the level they would normally qualify for them (Focus at Lvl 1, Specialization at Lvl 4 etc), culminating with Weapon Supremacy (PHB2) at level 18 I think. And then give them a Warblade type way to change the weapon (or weapon group) that they apply to. Frees up a couple of feats if nothing else.

Shinizak
2009-08-28, 03:15 PM
Monk: Assuming no unarmed swordsage or Fax's excellent fix in the Homebrew section, tack on full BAB, the ability to move at base speed during flurry of blows, scale weapon damage with unarmed damage, and allow the use of light armor or reduce the cost of bracers of armor. Also allow the ability to enchant unarmed strikes somehow.

Paladin: Crusader or OneWinged4ngel's rebalanced paladin (oboards) or Fax's paladin are best.

Fighter: I don't have one yet. When quickly making up an NPC fighter I use the one from Rebalancing Compendium on BG for simple ease, or I make a warblade.

Bard: Not sure, I'm used to Dragonfire Inspiration or Sublime Chord bards that don't have that many problems.

I can't find OneWinged4ngel's rebalanced paladin (actually I found, it, it just won't show it) can anyone post it?

lsfreak
2009-08-28, 03:35 PM
I can't find OneWinged4ngel's rebalanced paladin (actually I found, it, it just won't show it) can anyone post it?

Damn, the first thing I used on the Wizard's board that didn't survive the change.

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:rvo5RVplj2cJ:forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D761045.it+rebalanced+paladin&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Thalnawr
2009-08-28, 03:42 PM
Fighter: I was sort of thinking perhaps give them a choice of one ToB discipline, from Diamond Mind, Iron Heart, Setting Sun, Stone Dragon, Tiger Claw, or White Raven. Make the corresponding discipline focus skill a class skill as well. Then, for maneuver/stance progression, they gain 1 maneuver and stance at 1st level, 1 additional maneuver at 4/8/12/16/20, and 1 additional stance at 6/12/18. In place of the bonus feats at those levels. Maneuvers readied could be half the number known, rounded up. And they could use the Warblade refresh mechanic.

Elfin
2009-08-28, 03:58 PM
Paladin: Replace with ToB Crusader
Fighter: Replace with ToB Warblade
Monk: Replace with ToB Unarmed Swordsage.

Quite so, I'm afraid.
I used to hate ToB, but after some experience with it I found that the martial adepts are some of my favorite classes...really, ToB has great stuff, and the fluff is easy enough to change.

jiriku
2009-08-28, 04:11 PM
Remove flurry of blows and the scaling AC bonus from monk. Replace with skirmish. Skirmish reinforces the monk's intended role as a mobile striker, while flurry of blows was really only useful if you chose to stand motionless and full-attack. Also consider providing 2 additional skill points per level and/or the trapfinding ability, which allows the monk to embrace more roles in a party and thus be useful in more situations outside of combat.

Draz74
2009-08-28, 04:23 PM
Bard and Paladin are actually just fine classes if you build them carefully, with plenty of splatbook options. (Fighter, too, but he becomes a powerful one-trick pony rather than a fun, flexible class.)

Bard's not that hard to do. You can focus on buffing (Song of the Heart, Inspirational Boost, Badge of Honor, Dragonfire Inspiration, Words of Creation, Song of the White Raven), or on spellcasting (Metamagic Song, Rapid Metamagic, Melodic Casting, Captivating Melody), or some mix in between.

Paladin: Use the Battle Blessing feat from Complete Champion, and plenty of spells from the Spell Compendium. Use the Travel Devotion feat from Complete Champion (unless maybe if you're fighting mounted). Replace your special mount feature with Healing Spirit (Dungeonscape) or Charging Smite (PHB2?); if you still want a sturdy mount, take the Wild Cohort feat (WotC website). Unless you're using a Spirited Charge/lance build, wield a Falchion and take Improved Critical and Power Attack, and use your Bless Weapon spell frequently to make sure you get lots of critical hits on those Power Attacks. (Yay Level 1 Pearls of Power!) Use any number of ways to make your melee attacks touch attacks (magic items, e.g. Heartseeking Amulet from Magic Item Compendium; or Tome of Battle feats). If your stats aren't great and MAD is a problem, take the Serenity feat (Dragon magazine).

Monk: Besides the options people have already mentioned, you can dip a couple of Monk levels, then multiclass to Psychic Warrior, and take the Monastic Training and Tashalatora feats.

Prime32
2009-08-28, 04:36 PM
Here's a compilation for you (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3274.0).

FMArthur
2009-08-28, 04:48 PM
Quite so, I'm afraid.
I used to hate ToB, but after some experience with it I found that the martial adepts are some of my favorite classes...really, ToB has great stuff, and the fluff is easy enough to change.

What about ToB needs its fluff changed? "Here are some classes that better represent characters that are really good at fighting; their style is up to you" is all I got out of ToB fluff. :smallconfused:

Foryn Gilnith
2009-08-28, 04:51 PM
"Stone Dragon maneuvers can only be executed when in contact with the ground". All of the wuxia quotes and characters that the book was soaked in.

Elfin
2009-08-28, 05:02 PM
What about ToB needs its fluff changed? "Here are some classes that better represent characters that are really good at fighting; their style is up to you" is all I got out of ToB fluff. :smallconfused:

I meant that he may not like the quasi-setting it's in, along with the history and geography it entails (Reshar, the Deluge Jungle,the Sunspire Mountains, The Nine Swords, etc.)- it might also be a question of flavor, replacing the discipline names with something more suited to his campaign.

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-28, 05:14 PM
http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Tome_of_Battle_Core_Class_Update

Perhaps this might help. Core classes with a ToB boost.

Also use Bard and Sorcerer from Pathfinder because they rule.

Samb
2009-08-28, 08:50 PM
Pallys gain saint template

Monks are psionic fists with ML progression like psywar

Fighter's are a bit comlicated. I give them adaptable fighting class feature where they pick a set of feats and can change them all much like chamleon has one floating feat, but a fighter's can float all his bonus feats. Like a psychic reformation everyday. At higher levels he can swap out bonus feats at faster speeds and have even more "sets".

Bards don't need it.