PDA

View Full Version : Never play with your brother

GreatWyrmGold
2009-08-28, 03:47 PM
I just played a pseudo-session with my little brother as Dm and a couple of his friends.
I was killed by said friends and had less than full hp for some reason.
Even now I hear them arguing over who gets my character's SKIN. (He was a kobold, so apparently you can make armor out of it.)
Just to blow off some steam and give a place for people in similar predicaments.
If you're reading this, bro, I will NOT make another character. One character kill is enough. I will not spend time coming up with a character unless you and your pals promise not to KILL me.

Mando Knight
2009-08-28, 03:52 PM
I just played a pseudo-session with my little brother as Dm and a couple of his friends.

This here is the problem. You have to make sure the kid is proper DM material and his pals are competent adventurers before letting him run things for you.

SparkMandriller
2009-08-28, 03:53 PM
If you make a few more kobolds they won't have to fight. Skin for everyone!

Or are you too selfish for that?

GreatWyrmGold
2009-08-28, 04:01 PM
This here is the problem. You have to make sure the kid is proper DM material and his pals are competent adventurers before letting him run things for you.
Sadly, I'm failing to find info about a gaming club at my school, my dad usually won't play, and I have problems setting something up with my friends, so my bro's my only choice.

If you make a few more kobolds they won't have to fight. Skin for everyone!

Or are you too selfish for that?
They promised not to kill my next character. That's good.

Also, I recently heard that my gear was magic for them!!! Ugh! They got a level from making a Reflex save, two coup de grace's, and a gnoll! Me? I get dead!

I'll show them...a secret gesalt...:smallamused:

Johel
2009-08-28, 04:01 PM
I was killed by said friends and had less than full hp for some reason.
Even now I hear them arguing over who gets my character's SKIN. (He was a kobold, so apparently you can make armor out of it.)
Just to blow off some steam and give a place for people in similar predicaments.
If you're reading this, bro, I will NOT make another character. One character kill is enough. I will not spend time coming up with a character unless you and your pals promise not to KILL me.

Now, that's a loving little brother you have.
Remember me the time I tried to teach (and play) WH40K with mine.
I was 14. Space Marines (easier to paint. Don't ask)
He was 12. And wanted to play the Orks.

Games usually lasted for about three turns before he would toss a model at me while screaming that I HAD to cheat for his army to lose that many orks under the hail of bolters. Well, an army of footmen, while impressive (he was a damn good painter...unlike me) is sure not good at frontal assault against the Emperor's holy iron fury but try to explain that to an ork 12-years old.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-08-28, 04:10 PM
Try Play by Post. No human interaction to have to wade through. And plenty of leisure to roleplay.

SparkMandriller
2009-08-28, 04:13 PM
They promised not to kill my next character. That's good.

Fast forward five minutes to your brother handing out scrolls of imprisonment to everyone but you.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-08-28, 04:16 PM
Ugh. Brothers. His friends leveled up, and now I want to play, and he won't tell me what level the game is!
His friends say 2nd, but my brother said they "doubled their level twice."

Still, I'm thinking of a doppleganger. Levels in chameleon when I'm high enough level.

Johel
2009-08-28, 04:21 PM
Ugh. Brothers. His friends leveled up, and now I want to play, and he won't tell me what level the game is!

Still, I'm thinking of a doppleganger. Levels in chameleon when I'm high enough level.

Bet they'll be epic by the next two hours.
And if they like the game, they'll join oxinabox in his Planescape revolution.

Fan
2009-08-28, 04:22 PM

Just play a basic wizard/ ISOTV when you get the levels.

Umael
2009-08-28, 04:24 PM
Okay, I'm sorry, but I had to laugh.

I have no idea how old you are, or how old your brother and his pals are, but frankly?

Why aren't YOU running the game?!?

Seriously, this is like a major reversal of the typical sibling relationship - usually the older brother knows more and so is more likely to be entrusted to the position of authority. If your relationship is anything like the relationship between my brother and I, you should have never agreed to play under him.

Johel
2009-08-28, 04:26 PM

I have no idea how old you are, or how old your brother and his pals are, but frankly?

Seriously, this is like a major reversal of the typical sibling relationship - usually the older brother knows more and so is more likely to be entrusted to the position of authority. If your relationship is anything like the relationship between my brother and I, you should have never agreed to play under him.

Because the players are his brother's friends and he's just babysitting ? Maybe said brother made a point : "we don't want you around"

Totally Guy
2009-08-28, 04:26 PM

I don't think you are going to win.

Mystic Muse
2009-08-28, 04:27 PM
run the game yourself for a session and then run the players through the tomb of horrors and show them how it feels.

Elfin
2009-08-28, 04:29 PM

Next thing you know, they'll be working both for celestials and a Lich King, have the Hand and the Eye and yet still be considered good, and be plotting the death of an imbecilic Solar at level 10.

The Rose Dragon
2009-08-28, 04:30 PM
Next thing you know, they'll be working both for celestials and a Lich King, have the Hand and the Eye and yet still be considered good, and be plotting the death of an imbecilic Solar at level 10.

I feel like I'm missing the story behind this.

Is this oxinabox person known for doing those things in his games?

Elfin
2009-08-28, 04:31 PM
Look at this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122850&highlight=killing+solar+level).
And this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121868&highlight=players+started+civil).

Johel
2009-08-28, 04:32 PM
I feel like I'm missing the story behind this.

Is this oxinabox person known for doing those things in his games?

Not only him.
But yes, the forum has been laughing/raging about it for a few days now.
+ the "How to kill a Solar at 10th level", which isn't his doing but is the same kind of... Well, that's similar !! :smallamused:

GreatWyrmGold
2009-08-28, 04:33 PM
I doubt it, since A.) they've spent most of the time since my first post getting gear, and B.) they're leaving at 5:30.

Because he started the game and wouldn't let me DM.
Also, he's TECHNICALLY not too much younger than me, but acts younger.

Rdit: Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention: I actually bought the non-core books and got the MM as a present, so if they annoy me too much they can game with the PHB and DMG.

Elfin
2009-08-28, 04:34 PM
How old is he?

GreatWyrmGold
2009-08-28, 04:37 PM
How old is he?

Erm, well, I'm not dumb enough to give out personal info, even about my brother. Just because I'm "Barbarian in the Playground" doesn't mean I chose Int as a dump stat!

Still...he's not a little kid, if that's what you were wondering. I would have had to have Int as my dump stat to let him DM if THAT was the case!

EDIT: I suggested they let me DM next time, and my brother says it's MY fault for getting killed!!!

Elfin
2009-08-28, 04:39 PM
In that case, he probably just wants to impress his friends; if he were younger, it might just be that he actually doesn't understand the rules that well. So your best bet is probably to stay out of it.

Umael
2009-08-28, 04:40 PM
Because he started the game and wouldn't let me DM.
Also, he's TECHNICALLY not too much younger than me, but acts younger.

Rdit: Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention: I actually bought the non-core books and got the MM as a present, so if they annoy me too much they can game with the PHB and DMG.

I can see this ending well...

GreatWyrmGold
2009-08-28, 04:41 PM
In that case, he probably just wants to impress his friends; if he were younger, it might just be that he actually doesn't understand the rules that well. So your best bet is probably just to stay out of it.

He doesn't understand the rules well. He didn't do it for that reason. Apparently, they planned it. :smallfurious: I can't imagine why.

I can see this ending well...
I can see it ending with a "rocks fall, you die" followed by a "not if you want to play more", actually.

Johel
2009-08-28, 04:42 PM
Erm, well, I'm not dumb enough to give out personal info, even about my brother. Just because I'm "Barbarian in the Playground" doesn't mean I chose Int as a dump stat!

Still...he's not a little kid, if that's what you were wondering. I would have had to have Int as my dump stat to let him DM if THAT was the case!

EDIT: I suggested they let me DM next time, and my brother says it's MY fault for getting killed!!!

Well, that tell us you aren't a little kid either, at least :smalltongue:

More seriously, doesn't matter.
I wrote the "epic in 2 hours" thing because of the "doubled their level twice". That means going from 1st to 4th level in about 1 hour... Concidering they didn't start at 10th level. In which case... :smallamused:

EDIT :

Apparently, they planned it. I can't imagine why.

"-Get out, big brother, we want to have fun without you"

GreatWyrmGold
2009-08-28, 04:43 PM
Well, that tell us you aren't a little kid either, at least :smalltongue:

More seriously, doesn't matter.
I wrote the "epic in 2 hours" thing because of the "doubled their level twice". That means going from 1st to 4th level in about 1 hour... Concidering they didn't start at 10th level. In which case... :smallamused:

I'm not a little kid.

Oh. Well, it turns out that 2nd is right.

vampire2948
2009-08-28, 04:48 PM
If you live in Kent, England, you are welcome to join a group I am starting soonish.
Drop me a PM if that is the case.

Vampire2948,

Guancyto
2009-08-28, 04:49 PM
Apparently, they planned it. :smallfurious: I can't imagine why.

Me either. :smallamused:

You should probably swallow your pride and let him have his fun.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-08-28, 04:52 PM
Me either. :smallamused:

You should probably swallow your pride and let him have his fun.

I will. I don't even think they're playing D&D anymore. :sigh:

Umael
2009-08-28, 04:55 PM
I can see it ending with a "rocks fall, you die" followed by a "not if you want to play more", actually.

Yes, but what comes after that?

GreatWyrmGold
2009-08-28, 04:58 PM
Yes, but what comes after that?

My brother plays Heroscape. Like he is now.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-08-28, 05:10 PM
Whoo! I'm DM next time!
Admitadly, I had to threaten to not let them borrow my books...