PDA

View Full Version : Need some help on a World War II game of Epic proportion!

Tiak
2009-08-28, 08:00 PM
Okay, I am going to do a World War II game. The plan is that the PC's will be a team of allied commandos sent behind enemy lines to either rescue or assassinate a captured british general. The one and only problem i have is maps! the plan was to have them navigate through forests and all manner of country, my first thought is to buy some accurate maps of germany (yeah i know thats stupid) but were would i get them? i could draw them but I'm not exactly a cartoghrapher, other than that I have all the stuff I need. I would appreciate any help !

Dixieboy
2009-08-28, 08:04 PM
Screw the maps, you have plot!

Seriously, make germany up, the other option is too much of a hassle for too little gain your players won't appreciate anyway.

Tiak
2009-08-28, 08:07 PM
wow, you just summed it up right there, all I'll have to do is let 'em smack nazis with baseball bats (damn you brad pitt!). although i am afraid this will turn into "inglorius basterds 2"

The Glyphstone
2009-08-28, 08:44 PM
Add cyber-zombies? The world can always use more Castle Wolfenstein, and it'd make a neat (if horribly cliched) twist for players expecting an ordinary WWII nazi-stomping romp.

Tiak
2009-08-28, 09:07 PM
that is a very good idea, if i switch gears from real to paranormal a few sessions in, that will really shock the pc's! although i might wait for the second adventure

raitalin
2009-08-28, 09:14 PM
Does this help?

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Holocaust/holomaptoc.html

If that page doesn't have what you're looking for, there seemed to be a lot of promising hits from my google search

http://www.google.com/search?q=maps+of+germany+circa+WWII&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a

Tiak
2009-08-28, 09:24 PM
that is so many kinds of perfect i don't know what to say! look on the internet....brilliant(why the feth didn't i think of that?)! this should be just what i need. although i'm not going too map crazy,(making up some of germany and using some maps too) thanks!

Dark Herald
2009-08-28, 11:17 PM
My thought was Google Earth, but it looks like you have what you want.

raitalin
2009-08-29, 04:12 AM
Like any true Google-fu master, I exist only to serve those in need.

Terraoblivion
2009-08-29, 10:15 AM
Google-Earth would probably be a bit worse in showing modern Germany rather than the Germany of the 1940s anyway. Probably not too major a problem, but still.

woodenbandman
2009-08-29, 11:03 PM
Definitely include robo-hitler from wolfenstein.

Lycan 01
2009-08-30, 12:06 AM
Screw the map, dude! Just say the NPC commando with the map and navigational stuff took a flak round to the face as they jumped from a flaming C-17 Skytrain over the Black Forrest in the dark of night! :smallcool:

Seriously, though, they're commandos, so they aren't going to be perfectly equiped. Just say there's no real way of knowing what the drop zone will be like, since its in a very remote and heavily wooded location. Ergo, there was no map for them to be given.

Picture this... A frantic para-jump as their trainsport plane takes a flak round through one of the engines, a pulse-pounding descent where you make them roll dice randomly to avoid getting hit by incoming ground fire (the dice rolls don't really determine anything - you just want to freak 'em out. Although, a critical failure might result in a bullet or a hard landing... But hey, an injury right off the bat would spice up the game!), and finally a thrilling chase scene as they must regroup in the woods as German sentries and attack dogs hunt them down! :smallbiggrin:

What system are you using, btw? I wanna try this out myself, now... :smalltongue: