PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Immunity to as much as possible

DementedFellow
2009-08-28, 08:34 PM
I was thumbing through the Lords of Madness earlier and I came across a nice little PrC called Fleshwarper. At second level, you could give yourself a graft that makes you immune to damage from sonic energy.

I have already read up on a build called Mr. Icy-Hot from the CharOp boards that takes advantage of the Walker in the Waste PrC from Sandstorm. It basically uses two different sourcebooks, Frostburn and Sandstorm to create a character who gains immunity to cold and the fire subtype (and by extension the immunity to fire) respectively through two spells.

I have a problem connecting the two concepts though. In order to be able to cast Mantle of the Fiery Spirit, the cleric must have access to the 9th level spells.

The Fleshwarper PrC has a prerequisite where you have to have summon familiar as a class feature. The first level of Fleshwarper doesn't increase caster level. A dip in a class such as sorcerer or wizard to get a familiar doesn't increase cleric caster level. The Walker in the Waste PrC has two levels that doesn't increase caster level. That's four dead levels and that precludes me from casting 9th level cleric spells.

Here are my options:
1) Find a scroll for the Mantle of the Fiery Spirit
2) Find a way to get a familiar that won't cost a whole level in an arcane class.

The reason why I like Walker in the Waste is because you can get the Dry Lich template added on which grants undead immunities along with nifty benefits and multiple phylacteries.

Are there any spells/abilities out there that would grant immunity to lightning?

Any other immunities I'm forgetting about?

Any other advice?

Thanks in advance.

The Glyphstone
2009-08-28, 08:48 PM
Energy Immunity (electricity)? Cleric 6, Sorc/Wiz 7?

EnnPeeCee
2009-08-28, 08:48 PM
Stormlord gains immunity to electricity at 9th level.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-08-28, 08:51 PM
Energy Immunity (electricity)? Cleric 6, Sorc/Wiz 7?

An absolute staple of my NWN2 cleric, almost as much as Persistent Haste/Divine Favor (not sure if both those work in real D&D). It ought to be at least half as vital to any CoDzilla with massive levels.

quick_comment
2009-08-28, 08:54 PM
Black Half Dragon Lernaean Multiheaded Human with Mantle of the Fiery Soul cast.

LA is +7 (+3 for Half Dragon, +2 for 1 extra head, +2 for lernaean), and 2 racial hit dice from the extra head.

The only way to kill him is to deal 5 points of acid or fire damage to the stump of one of his heads. He is immune to acid and fire damage.

In addition, he gets superior two weapon fighting, +2 con, improved initative and combat reflexes, so you can basically pretend those 2 racial hit dice are like fighter levels, but better.

Glimbur
2009-08-28, 09:06 PM
Couldn't you just kill him with a Finger of Death or Con damage or something?

Korivan
2009-08-28, 09:11 PM
You can also give armour energy immunities as well. It works as an immediate action and you can choose the type of energy it works for. Nice to use in conjunction with other immunities and spells to give yourself a nice array of energy immunities.

DementedFellow
2009-08-28, 09:15 PM
I'm looking for spells that will be cast once and not have to bother with persisting x number of spells daily.

I'm having trouble fitting the Dry Lich in this, but the undead immunities are really what is selling me. Becoming a ghost has a level adjustment and that price is too much.

Any other way for a cleric to get a familiar? That's really the big speedbump in my plan.

Milskidasith
2009-08-28, 09:18 PM
Go as a cleric, get some way of having troll regeneration (all damage is nonlethal except fire and acid), cast energy immunity: fire and acid constantly, have that one spell (name?) that makes all nonlethal damage do nothing, and then cast deathward.

Immunity to pretty much everything.

Flickerdart
2009-08-28, 09:20 PM
Half-Clay Golem Lernean Ash Rat is more perfectly immune to everything, I believe. It's still missing a piece though, I think. Search for "Ikea Tarrasque", but ignore the Emerald Legion: it's a way to manufacture the Ikea Tarrasques logically, so it ends up being too high of a level.

Pie Guy
2009-08-28, 09:32 PM
The feat Obtain Familiar? I believe it's in PHB2.

DementedFellow
2009-08-28, 09:34 PM
The feat Obtain Familiar? I believe it's in PHB2.

It also requires you to have an arcane caster level of 3. Which is more dead levels as far as a cleric build goes.

quick_comment
2009-08-28, 09:49 PM
Couldn't you just kill him with a Finger of Death or Con damage or something?

It specifies that death effects just make a head explode. I guess con damage would work.

So now we have Necropolitan Black Half Dragon Lernaean Multiheaded Human with Mantle of the Fiery Soul cast.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-08-28, 10:25 PM
Half-Clay Golem Lernean Ash Rat is more perfectly immune to everything, I believe. It's still missing a piece though, I think. Search for "Ikea Tarrasque", but ignore the Emerald Legion: it's a way to manufacture the Ikea Tarrasques logically, so it ends up being too high of a level.

I thought it was half-clay golem half-black dragon Lernean War Troll, due to the regen factor?

olentu
2009-08-28, 10:41 PM
It specifies that death effects just make a head explode. I guess con damage would work.

So now we have Necropolitan Black Half Dragon Lernaean Multiheaded Human with Mantle of the Fiery Soul cast.

Well one can just get past the immunity to fire with searing spell.

quick_comment
2009-08-28, 10:47 PM
Well one can just get past the immunity to fire with searing spell.

Hm, true.

We need someone who is healed by fire, which as far as I know, is only a few golem varieties.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-08-28, 11:29 PM
IIRC, a build was just banned from the Test of Spite(taking Dwemorkeeper with it) for being a Living Construct with Trollform and Immunity to Fire and Acid, and Warforged Juggernaut levels. And the spells were Su(meaning couldn't be dispelled). She basically required an AMF to take down, and catching any halfway-decent character in an AMF is nearly impossible, let alone one of the hyper-optimized ones from the ToS.

Soras Teva Gee
2009-08-29, 01:26 AM
DM probably wouldn't go for it, but for building an immune character I'd apply a Saint Template from BoED. It has total immunity to acid, cold, electricity, petrification. Then there's fire resist 10, plus damage reduction (up to 10/evil) with fast healing, and can have a magic circle against evil and lesser globe of invulnerability at will. Plus with some save boosting perks.

That said its a minimum level 6 that is more or less deliever to DMs as, don't let people use this and you have to be major exalted good. Still its just some fire immune armor away from leaving you with just sonic.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-29, 02:02 AM
I'm looking for spells that will be cast once and not have to bother with persisting x number of spells daily.
I guess you're overlooking something important, then.
You can make a spell last all day.
Duration: 24 hours There's no need for Persistent Spell if the duration is already 24 hours or more.

Just cast Energy Immunity 5 times (once for each energy type) daily.

Xan_Kriegor
2009-08-29, 03:50 AM
Stuff about Energy Immunity already having a duration of 24 hours.

You could also extend it so you only had to cast it every other day.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-29, 04:21 AM
You could also extend it so you only had to cast it every other day.
That's true. A Cleric could get good use out of a Metamagic Rod of Extend, using 3 charges to Extend an Energy Immunity on alternating days, and 2 charges the other days, to have continual immunity to all 5 energy types.

mostlyharmful
2009-08-29, 04:40 AM
You'd then need to think about dispel focussed builds and disjunctions though.

Vizen
2009-08-29, 04:49 AM
Well. If Tome Of Battle is allowed, one of the low level Desert Wind abilities grants fire resistance depending on your tumble ranks. 19+ ranks in tumble = immunity to fire. That would only cost you skill points, and maybe 1 feat (Martial Study), instead of wasting a level.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-29, 09:39 AM
You'd then need to think about dispel focussed builds and disjunctions though.
Yes, that's true whenever you rely heavily on buff spells. The usual answer is to crank up your CL at casting time. A Bead of Karma gives +4 to CL, but only for a single 10-minute period each day. That works very well for daily buffs.

Civil War Man
2009-08-29, 10:02 AM
This obviously isn't nearly everything, but a Half-Dragon with at least 3 levels of Paladin is immune to all Fear effects, Diseases, Sleep, Paralysis, and the energy type of their parent's breath weapon. A decent start since all these immunities are passive.

DementedFellow
2009-08-29, 10:05 AM
I guess you're overlooking something important, then. There's no need for Persistent Spell if the duration is already 24 hours or more.

Just cast Energy Immunity 5 times (once for each energy type) daily.

I was unaware of that part of the text. Suppose I should read more closely.

Also, I am looking for ways to permanently get the immunity. If I have to cast energy immunity daily, persisted or not, then it's still a cast of energy immunity daily.

Templating seems to be the best way.

Sophismata
2009-08-29, 01:11 PM
Warshaper gives immunity to critical hits and stuns.
Slayer gives immunity to mental effects and scrying effects.
There are a few PrC's that give Undead or other monster immunities.

Desert Wind gives immunity to fire with 19 ranks in tumble.
Red Dragon Disciple gives a single energy immunity IIRC.
Stormlord gets immunity to lightning.

woodenbandman
2009-08-29, 03:22 PM
well to truly take advantage of immunity to everything you need to be an archivist, to get access to Favor of the Martyr. Daze immunity rocks. Combine with Miracle for Greater Celerities and Anyspell for normal and lesser celerities.

Foresight, 9th level druid spell, for immunity to Flat-Footedness. Acid and Sonic immunity would be nice, but not necessary. Becoming a dry lich solves a lot of your immunity related problems.

About needing a familiar to get immunity to sonic: just pay for the graft. Get it before you become a dry lich.