PDA

View Full Version : body build question #2576

xPANCAKEx
2009-08-29, 12:51 AM
yes - its another question about body building

diet:
*im vegan - so intake a LOT of protein and carbs, and very little in the way of saturated fats
*i mix my proteins to cover all the amino acids (i eat quinoa a fair bit too - thats a complete protein right there
*im open to the idea of shakes for extra protein

what i am:
*despite being very slender (155lbs, 6'0 tall - so thats about 70kg there about), i am very strong for my size. Years of climbing and martial arts will do that to a lad.
*i have a very high metabolism (hence the slenderness on a 3500-4000 kcal a day diet)
*I have a fair bit of tone on me - so no need to shed excess body fat

what i want:
*i want to develop my upper body - add some muscle mass to back up the tone. I don't want to be huge per se, but just work on what i have already

what i need:
*excercises - direction on what excecises i can do at home, and what you'd recommend i'd head to the gym for
*diet advice - if theres anything you'd recommend i start intaking more of then have at it (while keeping it vegan - sorry its non-negotiable)

im not looking to get huge over night, but something i can work on on an almost daily basis (rest days of course included).

treat me as a simpleton on this one - over-explain everything (especially any particular excercises - so i can avoid injury etc while gaining maximum benifit). Go nuts.

Ichneumon
2009-08-29, 01:10 AM
I know as little about bodybuilding as you, but I've talked to vegan body builders before and they showed me this site. http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/ It might be useful to you.

Vmag
2009-08-29, 01:15 AM
Do some dips, and by some I mean do a lot of dips.

Keld Denar
2009-08-29, 02:20 AM
If you look into a protein supliment, make sure its 100% predigested whey. Something like Isomil is probably gonna be among the best you can look for. Just don't get the baby stuff, its got a bunch of growth hormones you don't need. Protein is pretty critical post-workout, as that is when your muscles are trying to rebuild themselves. The advantage of 100% predigested whey is that there is no delay in absorbtion. Also, be careful to check the carb content of any protien suppliment you buy. Some of them are reinforced with carbs that could mess up your diet goals.

If you experience a bit of soreness post-workout, another suppliment thats helpful for regeneration is L-Glutamine. Its a powder that you add to your post-workout shake. Its a very simple sugar that your body can absorb almost immediately, allowing for maximum saturation time while your body rebuilds.

And lastly, and I can't stress this enough, if you REALLY want to see results, get a trainer. I know...you can work out hard enough on your own. TRUST ME. A trainer will kick your ass 3-4 times worse than you would on your own, and you hardly even realize it. When I started training, I hurt in places I didn't know I had. A good trainer sets your weight regiment to minimize downtime. You get a maximal workout in a much shorter period of time, and that short yet explosive workout raises your resting metabolism as well.

I'd stay away from suppliments like Cretine. I did Cretine for a month, and I didn't notice any major changes, other than the fact that I was downing between 1 and 2 gallons of water a day. You never want to be on it for a length of time longer than 4-5 weeks, and while on it, you really really really need to make sure you take in enough fluids due to the potential for some serious liver/kidney issues. Seriously consult a doctor or dietitian before starting Cretine.

*Keld is not a doctor. Consult your doctor before making any major changes to your diet including the addition of dietary suppliments. Offer valid only in continental United States, void where prohibited, some exclusions may apply, see store for details.

Haruki-kun
2009-08-29, 09:50 AM
Have you already started doing weight training?

If the answer is yes:
Find a routine where you split your body parts to be trained over the course of one week, 4-6 days a week.

If the answer is no:
Start a routine where you train your whole body in one day before you move on to dedicating a day to a single body part. There's lots of websites that give you these.

Nutrition:
I really don't know. It'd probably be easier for me to help you if it wasn't for the vegan part.

Ichneumon
2009-08-29, 11:59 AM
I've heard that many bikers eat a lot of pasta before the ride to give them extra strength. You could eat that.

Erothayce
2009-08-29, 12:23 PM
Cyclists used to think that carbo loading the night before helps but studies have shown that it actually does nothing. And to the OP unfortunately I have nothing useful to add other than, Woo-hoo another non meat eater here, and I'm looking to do the same thing you are. Good luck!