PDA

View Full Version : The computer thread-Nerds of the playground unite!

Ichneumon
2009-08-29, 10:47 AM
So, I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread about computers. A thread to ask computer questions such as which type of configuration is best in certain situations, Mac vs Pc debates, general advice etc.

Anyway, here is a hypothetical question, what if you would have to build a custom desktop pc from scratch, ignoring the price, how would yours looks like? :smallamused:

Recaiden
2009-08-29, 10:52 AM
We did this before, didn't we?

Anyway, say you have a laptop. I think a Compaq or HP or something because I actually don't know if any of those make laptops, but they're written on it.
And once a year it stops working. It turns off, and will come back on, but only shows a blank screen.
There are 3 lights at the front. A "charging" light if it's plugged in. This is always on.
There's a power light, which comes on when the power button is pressed.
There's a "disk" light, which should be on, but isn't.

When it starts up, a few beep and clicks can be heard, along with the fan starting. Then it sounds like another motor starts up, but it stops after a second or two.

In the past, this would stop happening after a while. Sometimes just minutes, sometimes weeks.
Any ideas?

Zocelot
2009-08-29, 12:06 PM
So, I'm considering buying a laptop, but I don't have too much of a budget for it ($500-$700). What company would be the best to buy a laptop from at such a price?

Catch
2009-08-29, 12:16 PM
So, I'm considering buying a laptop, but I don't have too much of a budget for it ($500-$700). What company would be the best to buy a laptop from at such a price?

Right off the bat, I can tell you that the cheapest Macbooks are out of your price range.

Really though, it depends on what you want to do. If your laptop just needs to be a mobile word processor / internet machine / music player, then you'd be fine with most market laptops. For those basic needs, I like the EEE PC line from Asus because they're small, inexpensive ($300-400), Linux-based (or XP if you're afraid of the penguin) and use SSDs (Solid State Drives).

For gaming, photoshopping, and other RAM/CPU-intensive activities, you're better using a build-your-own computer site like ibuypower. You can pick and choose what parts go in based on price point and performance, so there's a higher degree of customization and available options as compared to an off-the-shelf brand. They tend to run a bit pricier, but you're getting better parts.

SMEE
2009-08-29, 12:17 PM
Recaiden: The disk cables are probably a bit loosen. The laptop needs to be opened so that the cables can be attached back properly.

Erothayce
2009-08-29, 12:18 PM
Anyway, here is a hypothetical question, what if you would have to build a custom desktop pc from scratch, ignoring the price, how would yours looks like?

My dream computer would be housed in a top of the line water-cooled gaming case with an Nvidia sli motherboard with GTS 100 series cards in sli mode/3d mode. 16 gigs of ram, 4 terabyte hard drive, nvidia sound card, intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 processor, Blueray player. Of course it would have the obligatory glowing lights, that would cycle through different colors.

And no i don't think about my dream computer a lot. :smallbiggrin:

zillion ninjas
2009-08-29, 02:09 PM
Mac vs Pc debates

Hey now, aren't real world religion discussions forbidden here? :smallamused:

Apart from that, I have one bit of general advice for anyone buying a laptop - try it out in person before you buy. That may seem obvious to some, but it's less so if you're buying online. Go to a computer store and find a floor model of the one that you're interested in, and play with it for a few minutes, even if you're not buying it there.

The reason is that the form factor varies a lot - key size and pitch, pointer devices, screen size and reflectability, weight, etc. If there're some aspect of a particular laptop that just annoys the hell out of you, it's much better to find out before spending any money on it.

Mad Wizard
2009-08-29, 04:08 PM
Alright, here's another question for you guys. What should I upgrade next in my gaming PC? I started with a Dell Dimension 9150, then added some new stuff. In its current state, it has:

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2558MB RAM (2.5 GB)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Monitor: Viewsonic Optiquest Q201wb 20" LCD Monitor
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
Motherboard: Unsure. All I know is it has 4 slots for RAM, maxing out at 4 GB, 3 PCI slots, and three PCI express slots: one x1, one x4, and one x16.

I get good performance in most games, but I've been seeing lag in Sins of a Solar Empire when the fleets start to get enormous and I can't put my settings on Left 4 Dead too high or it lags. Plus, my friends all have better rigs than me now, and I need to keep up. :smallamused:

Trixie
2009-08-29, 04:29 PM
Get 4 GB of RAM, as for new graphic card - depends entirely on quality of your power supply.

You don't want to get new 400$+ card only to have it fried by PS, or even for PS to not work with it (or not work when the card is under heavy load) at all.

Erothayce
2009-08-31, 05:07 PM
Alright, here's another question for you guys. What should I upgrade next in my gaming PC? I started with a Dell Dimension 9150, then added some new stuff. In its current state, it has:

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2558MB RAM (2.5 GB)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Monitor: Viewsonic Optiquest Q201wb 20" LCD Monitor
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
Motherboard: Unsure. All I know is it has 4 slots for RAM, maxing out at 4 GB, 3 PCI slots, and three PCI express slots: one x1, one x4, and one x16.

I get good performance in most games, but I've been seeing lag in Sins of a Solar Empire when the fleets start to get enormous and I can't put my settings on Left 4 Dead too high or it lags. Plus, my friends all have better rigs than me now, and I need to keep up. :smallamused:

Like the person above me said upgrade your RAM to 4g. If you want to have better visuals and have your games run smoother get a new videocard but make sure your power supply can handle it. When I went from my nvidia 9400gt to my gts250 i had to get an entirely new power supply to run it. If you've got a Fry's near you go in and see what they have. I got a discount on both the power supply and the card because they were previously opened. Things like that help with price.

tyckspoon
2009-08-31, 05:54 PM
My dream computer would be housed in a top of the line water-cooled gaming case with an Nvidia sli motherboard with GTS 100 series cards in sli mode/3d mode. 16 gigs of ram, 4 terabyte hard drive, nvidia sound card, intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 processor, Blueray player. Of course it would have the obligatory glowing lights, that would cycle through different colors.

Assume you mean 200 series cards there- the 100s are OEM only and don't get anywhere near the performance profiles of the high-end GTX 200's. Also, an i7 975 would be the current-generation equivalent of the Core Quad Extreme. That's pretty much the current definition of 'excessively high end', so it's my dream computer too.. 'course I wouldn't *do* anything with it that needs anywhere near that much power, and I'd probably use the entry level i7/upcoming i5 instead and overclock it for the heck of it. *shrug* Also I'm not into case-bling, so no LEDs.

MethosH
2009-08-31, 06:05 PM
oh boy... oh boy... this thread isn't a good idea... oh boy... as soon as the first one screams "C++ is so much better than Java" we are going to have a huge flamewar with bans on top, I'm telling you... WITH BANS ON TOP!

OverdrivePrime
2009-08-31, 06:26 PM
My "Dream Desktop"? **salivates**

It is currently:

Two 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processors
32GB (8x4GB) 1066MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM memory
Mac Pro RAID Card
4x 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive
ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB Graphics Card
Two 18x SuperDrives
Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)
Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)
Apple Mighty Mouse
Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (English) and User's Guide
Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter
Dual-channel 4Gb Fibre Channel PCI Express card

All for only $18,296. :smallcool:

Rutskarn
2009-08-31, 06:30 PM
Shame on you for not naming this Nerds of a feather, flock together.

Shame. Shame. Shame.

raitalin
2009-08-31, 06:56 PM
Linux FTW!

Seriously, I switched to Ubuntu last winter and I've been nothing but insanely pleased. I've only had to fix problems in terminal 3-4 times, it auto-updates everything and runs faster and with fewer crashes than any Windows computer I've ever used. The only time I run into trouble is when I run Windows programs with WINE, and even then I've got that awesome "Kill program" button that gets me out of having to sit around waiting for a task manager.

If any of you are using a computer as mostly an Internet machine/word processor, really if you're using it for anything except current games and high-end graphics work, I strongly recommend making the switch. The OS is simple and it walks you through everything you need to know, the OS has tech support through its distributor (Canonical) and the forums are full of extremely helpful people and many common questions has already been answered.

Not to mention the innate awesomeness of Open Source projects. Owning your software instead of leasing it, contributing to a community by doing bug reports, all that jazz. Plus the sense of geek righteousness you get when Windows users lament about their spyware addled boxes.:smallwink:

http://www.ubuntu.com/

You can even give it a try with Wubi, which will install a virtual Ubuntu desktop on your Windows PC, without making any changes.

This brings me to a pet peeve of mine: the Mac vs. PC debate. I use a PC, but I hate Windows. Its part of that whole "brand imperialism" thing. Windows has co-opted the term PC to mean "Windows computer" when it is anything but. A PC can run whatever OS you want (even MacOS, though I wouldn't recommend it).

MethosH
2009-08-31, 07:13 PM
Linux FTW!

I TOLD YOU!!!! IT HAS BEGUN!!!!! *Duck and cover waiting for the flamewar*

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-08-31, 07:34 PM
Since I don't want to start a PC vs. Mac war...I'll have to completely agree that Linux is superior to both. :smallwink: I have Ubuntu and Arch on my laptop and Gentoo on my server (which are, respectively, one of the easiest to use and two of the most complex distros, for those not in the know). I haven't touched a Windows or Mac computer since 3rd grade (I'm a college sophomore now) and I've loved every minute.

Lupy
2009-08-31, 09:35 PM
Debian derived OSes FTW!

:smalltongue:

Anyone else got Win7 on preorder? I love Linux but I'm itching to get my hands on it?

Dream build you say?

4.0ghz OC'd Phenom X4
2 Crossfire'd 4870 X2s
12gb DDR3 RAM
16x/48x/56x Blueray/DVD/CD writer
4 320gb SSDs
Bajillions of ports
TV tuner

MethosH
2009-08-31, 09:59 PM
Dream build you say?

4.0ghz OC'd Phenom X4
2 Crossfire'd 4870 X2s
12gb DDR3 RAM
16x/48x/56x Blueray/DVD/CD writer
4 320gb SSDs
Bajillions of ports
TV tuner

Aren't you forgeting this?

Mini-refrigerator
Toilet
Mini-golf
Geisha

:smalltongue:

*must... not.. give.. in... to... the... urge... of... OS... flame... war...*

Trog
2009-08-31, 10:42 PM
Did you really think the nerds of the playground were going to unite on a subject as divided as computers? :smalltongue:

The OS War, as I see it, really isn't a war its a bunch of people claiming their preferences are superior to others' preferences. And the needs/wants of any individual so varies that to expect one person's opinion to somehow rise above the fray and reign supreme is a pipe dream at best. In regards to that little game I have to say that (to quote the movie Wargames) "The only smart move is not to play." :smallwink:

As for my own preference I own both a PC and a Mac. For my job as a graphic artist I used Macs. As the years progress, the surface differences between the two OSes have gotten less and less and I can work on either platform quite easily. That said I simply must pick Macs as my own preferred OS. Mainly because I know how to maintain them better than I do a PC and the Mac OS has an aesthetic that has more appeal to me.

Zeb The Troll
2009-09-01, 01:04 AM
Did you really think the nerds of the playground were going to unite on a subject as divided as computers? :smalltongue:

The OS War, as I see it, really isn't a war its a bunch of people claiming their preferences are superior to others' preferences. And the needs/wants of any individual so varies that to expect one person's opinion to somehow rise above the fray and reign supreme is a pipe dream at best. In regards to that little game I have to say that (to quote the movie Wargames) "The only smart move is not to play." :smallwink:

As for my own preference I own both a PC and a Mac. For my job as a graphic artist I used Macs. As the years progress, the surface differences between the two OSes have gotten less and less and I can work on either platform quite easily. That said I simply must pick Macs as my own preferred OS. Mainly because I know how to maintain them better than I do a PC and the Mac OS has an aesthetic that has more appeal to me.Have you checked out Windows 7 yet? I've been reading a lot of comparisons lately since both Snow Leopard and Windows 7 are (being) released in such close proximity. The aesthetic is, indeed, very similar to that of OSX.

Here's (http://www.pcworld.com/article/170882/snow_leopard_versus_windows_7.html) a PC World head to head review.

Aside from that, I completely agree that the differences are nominal and personal preference for the most part. The reason that I will stay with Windows is because I use my computer mostly for gaming. This precludes Mac or Linux as being viable options. (Yes, I know that it can be done, but it will never emulate well enough to be the actual thing, especially when I can just have the actual thing and not have to worry about maintaining both the system AND the emulator.)

*Further note - I am a TechNet subscriber and as such have been using Windows 7 for a while now. It actually is an improvement, both in stability and usability, over Windows XP. I have even read anecdotal evidence that some older XP boxes that could not run Vista actually perform better running Windows 7 (i.e. faster boot times, quicker response, and better "feel").

raitalin
2009-09-01, 04:07 AM
or Linux as being viable options. (Yes, I know that it can be done, but it will never emulate well enough to be the actual thing, especially when I can just have the actual thing and not have to worry about maintaining both the system AND the emulator.)

Just a note: WINE is not actually an emulator. When things work in WINE they generally work just as well as they would on a windows based machine. You may be surprised at how many games run perfectly in WINE (http://appdb.winehq.org/). But, yes, WINE support is spotty and Linux is not the best choice for a gaming computer until it gains a large enough market share that developers keep it in mind when programming.

Here's how I see the Mac/PC debate, using a car analogy:

Macs are like a Mercedes Benz. Expensive out of the box, difficult to work on yourself and expensive to repair. They're extremely well tuned, but difficult to manipulate into doing things they weren't meant to do. They also do some things just to be different, like the Mighty Mouse and weird ports. They also have the "Magic box goes ding" effect, where they accomplish tasks (or fail to) without providing any insight into the process.

PCs are like classic muscle cars, you can get them for cheap, but they'll be big and cumbersome and loud without the performance to match. But if you've got a little bit of know-how and some time on your hands you can tune them into high-powered drag racers, and repair any problem that spring up without having to take it back to their snooty little store.:smallwink:

For casual users with the money to spare I always recommend Macs. Your grandma should have a Mac, art students should have a Mac.

For people that think of owning and caring for a computer as a hobby I recommend PCs (Linux if you're Hardcore, like me:smallwink:).

Fredthefighter
2009-09-01, 04:16 AM
Right, I shall now end the Mac v.s PC debate.

Neither is better. The Macintosh and the PC are two completely different operating systems designed for different things, one is only better than the other in certain situations.

Now, let's say PCs are knives, and Macs are sniper rifles.
On the surface, the rifle seems better, you can kill much easier and from farther away than you can with a knife. However, if the target is right next to you, and you know how to use it properly, the knife outshines the rifle.

In conclusion: Stop whining about which is better and just accept that both are equally good, EVEN IF YOU ARE A COMPLETE MACINTOSH/PC FANBOY/FANGIRL!

Zeb The Troll
2009-09-01, 05:29 AM
Here's how I see the Mac/PC debate, using a car analogy:

Macs are like a Mercedes Benz. Expensive out of the box, difficult to work on yourself and expensive to repair. They're extremely well tuned, but difficult to manipulate into doing things they weren't meant to do. They also do some things just to be different, like the Mighty Mouse and weird ports. They also have the "Magic box goes ding" effect, where they accomplish tasks (or fail to) without providing any insight into the process.

PCs are like classic muscle cars, you can get them for cheap, but they'll be big and cumbersome and loud without the performance to match. But if you've got a little bit of know-how and some time on your hands you can tune them into high-powered drag racers, and repair any problem that spring up without having to take it back to their snooty little store.:smallwink:

For casual users with the money to spare I always recommend Macs. Your grandma should have a Mac, art students should have a Mac.

For people that think of owning and caring for a computer as a hobby I recommend PCs (Linux if you're Hardcore, like me:smallwink:).I completely disagree with your analogy on virtually every point.

1.) You have to have special knowledge to perform maintenance tasks on a Mac. Myth. My first IT job was doing desktop support for a mixed Windows/Mac/Novell environment. I got to work on all kinds of stuff that the average techie doesn't have to worry about. Just like a Windows computer, it's all in the familiarity. If you've been around it for a while, you'll know a few basic things that will probably get you running again. On both, if you're moderately comfortable browsing tech forums, you can probably find an answer that will help you fix it yourself, otherwise you'll have to call a friend to give you advice on how to fix it.

2.) Windows computers are inherenly less powerful than a Mac. Myth. In fact, the hardware is nearly identical in most instances (i.e. both systems now use the same processor architecture, memory is interchangeable so long as you make sure your system accepts the type of memory you want to put in it [meaning DDR2 is DDR2, there is no Mac memory], both use the same kinds of hard drives, both use the same video cards [though Macs have a smaller selection based on the availability of drivers, the cards that work in Macs are identical to those that work in Windows computers]).

3.) Macs are inherently more stable/less attack prone. Again, Myth. Here's (http://www.pcworld.com/article/170789/why_macs_cant_beat_pcs_with_windows_7.html) another article comparing the two where the author goes so far as to claim that his Snow Leopard actually crashes MORE often than his Windows 7. Your mileage may vary, but that's my point. One is not inherently more stable than the other anymore. Nor are they more secure (http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9136311/Apple_patches_18_Mac_vulnerabilities_ships_OS_X_10 .5.8), just less frequently attacked.

Summary - It's all about personal preference and my preference is not inherently better than anyone else's.

raitalin
2009-09-01, 06:10 AM
1. I wasn't thinking of software issues (which don't change a lot from system to system, accepting that Windows is more often under attack, which is because of its popularity more than inherent security, I know) as much as hardware issues. Its difficult to even figure out how to open some models of Mac, and the internal parts tend to be more difficult to switch out & more expensive to replace.

2. I didn't say PCs were less powerful, simply that you can get them cheaper, but they'll require work to get them up to the specs of the cheapest Mac. I would say PC, or more precisely Windows PCs are less finely tuned. Their generality means they're less capable of specialized functions than a Mac. Of course this varies based on the hardware spec, but I'm speaking generally.

3. I don't know anything about Snow Leopard or W7, so I can't say which is better. I do have a lot of experience with Tiger and XP, and it took a lot more effort to keep XP stable than Tiger. I am certainly not a fan of the Windows registry system. This undoubtedly varies from release to release, so maybe my limited experience is the problem.

I have to say, I'm sure your experience far outweighs mine, so you could be 100% correct. I've used Windows PCs (98 and XP mostly) Macs (Tiger, mostly) and Linux PCs (Ubuntu, mostly) each intensively for at least a year each and these are my impressions as a non-professional user who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty trying to figure out software and hardware problems, but also isn't getting paid to spend hours figuring out the ins and outs of each system. I don't really have any biases as to "this is hands-down better in every situation" but I do feel like certain computers are better for certain people and uses.

Ichneumon
2009-09-01, 06:40 AM
Personally, I prefer the interface of the Mac Operating system, not just the dock, but the whole "drag & drop"-things you can do with files into stuf like Itunes, Iphoto and others, this amongst other things. I can understand people to think differently, but that's just my opinion. I don't know if windows crashes more than mac, although form personal experience it might seem to be true as my macbook has never crashed while my laptop with xp does all the time.

Whoracle
2009-09-01, 06:57 AM
Right, I shall now end the Mac v.s PC debate.[...]In conclusion: Stop whining about which is better and just accept that both are equally good, EVEN IF YOU ARE A COMPLETE MACINTOSH/PC FANBOY/FANGIRL!

Yes, stop whining and use Linux, dammit!

*throws gasoline onto the fanwar pyre and runs away, cackling kernel compiler messages in an insane high pitch*

It's simple: The right tool for the right task, really... Although the Penguin IS superior in many aspects :D

Jack Squat
2009-09-01, 07:15 AM
1. I wasn't thinking of software issues (which don't change a lot from system to system, accepting that Windows is more often under attack, which is because of its popularity more than inherent security, I know) as much as hardware issues. Its difficult to even figure out how to open some models of Mac, and the internal parts tend to be more difficult to switch out & more expensive to replace.

This is true for older Macs, but as Zeb stated before, they've basically got the same internal parts now, so it should (in theory anyways) be the same cost and difficulty in replacing. I personally haven't worked on any macs in the past few years, so I can't comment on difficulty to get in; though I can't imagine the desktops being too difficult

2. I didn't say PCs were less powerful, simply that you can get them cheaper, but they'll require work to get them up to the specs of the cheapest Mac. I would say PC, or more precisely Windows PCs are less finely tuned. Their generality means they're less capable of specialized functions than a Mac. Of course this varies based on the hardware spec, but I'm speaking generally.

I'll grant you that by looking up, the Mac Pro is a little better spec-wise than the Gateway DX 4200-09.. Both are quad core procesors, MP is 2.66GHz, Gateway's is 1.8GHZ. Also MP has a better graphics card, but beyond that they're near identical. Now, I'm seeing the Gateway is for sale for $430...the Mac Pro is $2499. All seems to fit.

However, you said mac's cheapest model, which would be the Mac Mini, for $600. The Mini has 1GB of RAM, a 2GHz Dual-Core Processor, and a 120GB hard drive. This is still more expensive than the Gateway, which blows it out of the water spec-wise. Again, I can't comment on how capable either is for "specialized functions", but I know that PCs are more than capable of doing graphic arts, which used to be the main reason to get a Mac.

3. I don't know anything about Snow Leopard or W7, so I can't say which is better. I do have a lot of experience with Tiger and XP, and it took a lot more effort to keep XP stable than Tiger. I am certainly not a fan of the Windows registry system. This undoubtedly varies from release to release, so maybe my limited experience is the problem.

I've never had XP fail on any of my computers...Actually, I can only think of a handful of times that any windows OS has failed on me (including ME). The Mac I grew up on (one of the LC "pizza box" Macs) would continually crash (or rather "bomb") due to program incompatibility. The iMacs my school had were pretty bad as well, but I've never really run into a reliable school computer.

Not to say that I think Windows is better than Mac, as XP vs. OS 7 isn't really a fair comparison...in fact, the macs I've been on recently haven't given me any problems whatsoever, but I haven't really done anything on them.

...I do feel like certain computers are better for certain people and uses.

Agreed, though for the average user it's solely personal preference, as email, web-surfing, and general office/personal uses (MS/Open Office, music/movies, etc.) are very well supported on any OS.

Erothayce
2009-09-01, 07:25 AM
I'm salivating at the chance of getting Windows 7.

Jack Squat
2009-09-01, 07:34 AM
I'm salivating at the chance of getting Windows 7.

I'll probably upgrade from Vista Ultimate if I get a good enough discount through my University, but I don't really have any issues to justify spending the money to upgrade (even if it is just $100-$150 on the high end of guesses).

Ichneumon
2009-09-01, 08:04 AM
I'm currently installing Vista on my macbook via boot camp and I'm going to downgrade it to xp afterwards.

Trog
2009-09-01, 08:15 AM
Have you checked out Windows 7 yet? I've been reading a lot of comparisons lately since both Snow Leopard and Windows 7 are (being) released in such close proximity. The aesthetic is, indeed, very similar to that of OSX.
Been reading about Windows 7 for ever as I have Lifehacker on my RSS Feeds and they've been going on about it since the first info has been available for it on the nets. I have to say that it is definitely more mac-like but it also represents some new features that Mac didn't have and, in Snow Leopard, the Mac now has. It's a refreshing to see Apple copying something from Microsoft for a change. I had all but written them off in the realm of having new and better ideas for user interfaces since they have been copying the Mac for so long.

Regarding Zeb's Myth Busters I have to agree. I can maintain even the most stubborn of Macs with a simple disk of tools that comes with the OS, in fact. Or with a commercially bought repair disk at its worst, and have been doing so for a decade.

Honestly neither my Windows XP computer nor my mac have crashed for a long long time so as to one or the other being more crash prone it is (to me anyways) a non issue. Way back when it might have been a big issue but no more. I think both Apple and Microsoft have done a good job at improvements.

Guru
2009-09-01, 08:19 AM
Yay, finally someplace I know I can be!

I've used Boot Camp on my MacBook (500 GB HDD, 4 GB RAM, other then that the rest is standard). It's running XP, and I just watched a Windows 7 review yesterday. I'm super excited to try out Windows 7.

As for a Mac vs. PC debate, I refuse to get into them anymore.

I also have another question for Mac users here. What are some of your favorite applications?

Ichneumon
2009-09-01, 08:46 AM
I also have another question for Mac users here. What are some of your favorite applications?

I think I like Iphoto and Imovie best of the "official" apple software, Screenium and Handbrake are also really handy. I don't care much for the Iwork office suite. I prefer Microsoft Office (although I haven't tried it yet on Mac).

Guru
2009-09-01, 08:58 AM
Microsoft Office works quite well actually on OS X. I used it, liked it, but decided to try out a little bit less of a bloated software. OpenOffice (http://www.openoffice.org/) is good as a Microsoft Office alternative. It's 100% free and I like it just as much, if not more. It will of course feel weird at first, but you'll notice it's a lot of the same stuff.

As for official Apple software, I like XCode probably the best (along with it's other tools included). For non-official, I use Colloquy a lot, and Growl is always a must. But other then that, I'm still looking for that PERFECT Mac application for me.

I don't enjoy much of the iLife package. It just doesn't offer that much that I use.

Ichneumon
2009-09-01, 09:03 AM
I don't enjoy much of the iLife package. It just doesn't offer that much that I use.

I guess that differs from person to person, as I use the ILife package quite a lot.

About Office, does the lay-out get skrewed up when you open files made in Word on a windows pc, like it happens when you open a word file in Open Office?

Guru
2009-09-01, 09:08 AM
About Office, does the lay-out get skrewed up when you open files made in Word on a windows pc, like it happens when you open a word file in Open Office?

So far not for me. I had a friend though that uses Linux that had a problem with that, bringing it from OpenOffice to Word on an XP computer. Of course, his was just placement of pictures that changed, nothing with the text though. But so far I haven't had a problem bringing in the documents to a computer that uses Microsoft Office, or vice versa. A Word document and a OpenOffice text document are both saved in a .doc file format, so you should have no problem really.

Delwugor
2009-09-01, 09:18 AM
Just a little playing with:

Asus P6T Motherboard
Intel Core I7 920
ThermalTake SpinQ CPU Cooler
2 Corsair Twin PC 12800 DDR3 4GB (8GB Total)
Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 X2 2GB Video Card
OCZ Vertex Solid State 250GB Hard Drive
Hitachi 1TB HSD1000 External SimpleDrive
Plextor P850 SATA MultiDrive
NZXT Tempest ATZX Mid-Tower Case
Ultra X3 600 Watt Power Supply
Samsung T220 22In LCD Monitor
Bose Companion 2 Speaker
Logitex MX 550 Cordeless Keyboard and Mouse
Ubuntu 64Bit OS

Total Cost $3050.

Trog
2009-09-01, 10:26 AM
Adium for IMing
Firefox for the web (though I wish the memory usage was better, as do all Firefox users I'd imagine)
TextEdit for any word processing as I enjoy the minimal interface. I have other word processing programs (primarily the freeware NeoOffice) but I rarely use them.
Mail for e-mail
iTunes for music, though I find it bulky.
VLC for movies and such
CyberDuck (freeware) for FTPing

I have a bunch of other programs but these are the ones I use most often. My oldest son uses Garage Band a lot though.

Ichneumon
2009-09-01, 10:40 AM
I just realised that what my university wanted, downgrading vista to xp, is legally impossible, at least without having to buy a new version of xp, which isn't sold anymore. They've given me an update disk of xp service pack 3, but it doesn't work on vista...

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-09-01, 11:05 AM
A Word document and a OpenOffice text document are both saved in a .doc file format, so you should have no problem really.

Not quite. If you save OO documents in .doc format, then yes, it's the same format so they're identical. However, OOWriter uses the .odt (Open Document: Text) format by default, which MS Office can't handle*; that's probably where your Linux friend was having difficulties. If you open the .odt file in OOWriter and re-save it as .doc, all the compatibility problems get fixed.

*(before the 2007 version, at least; I don't know much about that one since I haven't had to help my friends with their Vista installations.)

Delwugor
2009-09-01, 11:52 AM
But so far I haven't had a problem bringing in the documents to a computer that uses Microsoft Office, or vice versa.

I've had many problems with auto-calculating Excel character sheets in OO.

Ichneumon
2009-09-01, 12:08 PM
Just to be sure: You can't install windows xp on a computer with vista with only a vista instalation disk and a disk with windows xp service pack 3 update, right?

valadil
2009-09-01, 12:17 PM
Its difficult to even figure out how to open some models of Mac, and the internal parts tend to be more difficult to switch out & more expensive to replace.

This is obsolete. Since Mac went intel, their parts are pretty much interchangeable. Mac towers are great to open. The motherboard actually comes out with the side of the case, so you don't have to cram your hands into the computer. Their laptops still suck to open, but how often are you replacing parts in a laptop? The all in one iMacs are scary to open too, but that can be said of any computer that's built into the back of the monitor. IMO the Mac Pro is the ideal form factor for a tower. The next time I buy a computer, it will likely be one of those running linux.

Ichneumon
2009-09-01, 12:21 PM
Their laptops still suck to open, but how often are you replacing parts in a laptop?

Is there are type of laptop that doesn't suck to open en replace parts?

I agree with the rest of your analysis.

valadil
2009-09-01, 12:38 PM
Is there are type of laptop that doesn't suck to open en replace parts?

I agree with the rest of your analysis.

I've actually had pretty good experiences opening up Dells. CPU, keyboard, memory (even the internal, non replaceable one), hard drive, main board, and screen can all be replaced in about 10 minutes with a little practice. They're easier than a lot of desktops I've worked with.

Ichneumon
2009-09-01, 12:44 PM
I've actually had pretty good experiences opening up Dells. CPU, keyboard, memory (even the internal, non replaceable one), hard drive, main board, and screen can all be replaced in about 10 minutes with a little practice. They're easier than a lot of desktops I've worked with.

I understood that the new macbooks are relatively easy to open and replace harware too. Although I haven't tried this with mine.

valadil
2009-09-01, 12:52 PM
I understood that the new macbooks are relatively easy to open and replace harware too. Although I haven't tried this with mine.

The 1st gen intel ones were an improvement over G4s, but I haven't seen anything newer than that. G3s (aka Pismo) were great. You could flip the keyboard open to get to the CPU in all of 5 seconds. They were designed to be easily serviced. Now they're designed to be pretty with non functional screws to maintain symmetry.

KjeldorMage
2009-09-02, 06:40 AM
Ubuntu has been a joy. Going penguin is the way to go, especially if you are lazy like I am. I know that I customize the crap out of my OS but I like that it is low maintenance, especially if you use it for word processing and Internet usage.

As for mac. The bottom line is you pay for a pretty OS. The parts are more expensive for what power and computing you get. Also Mac's security is being compromised, (which is why I love Ubuntu because the hassle of virus and spyware upkeep to me is maddening). I like OSX but I would rather take debian/ubuntu and make it look like OSX then actually running it and paying a premium for it.

(See my girlfriends, "cutebook" a refurbed IBM I put a pink skin on and installed ubuntu and made it look like OSX. Runs like the cheapest macbook out there now flawlessly.)

Anyway my system:
Coolermaster cent 5
Generic intel 478 board, (found it in a recycle place)
Intel 2.8ghz single core
2 512mb kingston ddr 400 RAM
Nvidia Geforce 6600 (agp)
160gb seagate 16mb cache IDE
80 GB Maxtor 16mb cache IDE
Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex 8.10 (32-bit)
Cost to me: $100 (had to buy RAM and case at work)
With ubuntu runs like a dualcore dell that is well maintained.

My dream system:
Antec 1200
P6t Deluxe v2
I7 975 processor
12 gb Kingston ddr3 1333 RAM
2 Nvidia gtx 290s (not sli'd)
2 Intel 64gb ssd
6 Western Digital 1.5 terabyte HD's
Happauge 2250
Dual boot: Windows 7/ Intrepid 64bit
Four 32"monitors
cost: around 6 grandish...

And finally, Windows 7 is a fun operating system. I got to play around with the RC and I am impressed. The thing that sold me on it (and why I will install it when I get a computer upgrade) was the new slicing features that are going to be compatible with windows 7 first. It is perfect for the sports geek like myself. I can stream the game I want watch and have a ticker with all the fantasy info being update in real time. Can't wait till firefox can get that for ubuntu.

Groundhog
2009-09-02, 11:08 AM
I'm looking for some 3d rendering software. Anyone know of a good program that runs on Mac?

Ichneumon
2009-09-02, 11:11 AM
I'm looking for some 3d rendering software. Anyone know of a good program that runs on Mac?

I haven't tried it, but I heard Blende (http://www.blender.org/)r is good.

OverdrivePrime
2009-09-02, 11:24 AM
Bryce (http://www.daz3d.com/i.x/software/bryce) is a fairly basic and easy-to-learn package that is still capable of producing extremely detailed, powerful images. The stuff I used to do in Bryce still boggles my mind. It's primarily designed for landscapes, but you can do so much more. I've built continents, castles, tanks, starships, swords, detailed models of my home, fighter jets, etc. A new copy of it will run you $100.

Cinema 4D (http://www.maxon.net/) is reputed to be very powerful, but I haven't personally used it. It retails for just shy of $1,000.

Lightwave 3D (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/) is another very powerful rendering program. It has a higher learning curve than Bryce, but not as steep as Maya. Once you have the basics down, you can quickly produce some amazing models. It retails for a little under $800, though you might be able to find a student discount.

Maya (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?id=13577897&siteID=123112) is basically the best 3D rendering program you can hope to get your hands on. It's extremely powerful and versatile but the learning curve can be rough. However, any 3D work you see in TV, movies, video games, etc - all of it can be (and probably was) done in Maya. It's horribly expensive unless you're a student. The full package is $7,000. The student version, which is still probably more than you'll ever need, is only $290.

Note that many of these have trial versions available online, which you can download for free and take for a test drive. That saves you from dropping hundreds or thousands of dollars on software that is far more, or far less than what you need.

Imposter
2009-09-02, 04:54 PM
I'm going to have to suggest Blender. I've never used it on a mac, but both the windows and linux versions are great. The documentation is a bit spotty, but it's free and updated pretty frequently. If you don't like it (the learning curve can be a bit steep), then it's probably a question of how much you're willing to pay, and what interface you prefer. Most of the good ones have trial versions, so you can always just try them.
-Note: If you're actually looking for rendering software, and not modeling/rendering like I've assumed here, I'm sorry and can't really help.

Trog
2009-09-02, 08:52 PM
I've had Blender on my mac for a while now. Actually I did some "housecleaning" yesterday and got rid of the app because I never used it but when I had it it seemed to work just fine. And considering it's free I'd also go with Blender. If you don't like it its not like you are out any money for trying it anyway.

Groundhog
2009-09-02, 10:05 PM
Blender's working great. Thanks!