PDA

View Full Version : Ring of Arcane Might?

Thrawn183
2009-08-29, 12:44 PM
So I'm confused about the part of the Ring of Arcane Might that says it influences level-baised vairables. It doesn't seem to me to boost caster level (because it would be so much simpler to just say that it boosts your caster level by one for arcane spells) so what does the last part of the description actually mean?

Fax Celestis
2009-08-29, 12:46 PM
AFAIK, it boost stuff like "1d6 damage per caster level" but doesn't boost durations/ranges/DCs.

Karsh
2009-08-29, 12:48 PM
I've interpreted it to mean that your spells count as a level higher for the purposes of Round/level and 1d6 per level, but not for how hard it is to dispel your spell.

Chrizzt
2009-08-29, 12:55 PM
From my point of view it ALSO affects durations and range, no DC however, as this is not based on your casterlevel but on your ability modifier and on the spell level.

Eldariel
2009-08-29, 01:39 PM
The way I see it, the reason it's worded as it is is to avoid prequalification for stuff requiring "Arcane Spellcaster Level Xth"; that is, it's equivalent to just having higher caster level, but as an item, only increases the level of spells you cast, not your inherent level for purposes of qualifications, spell levels and the like.

Draz74
2009-08-29, 01:42 PM
I think the not-harder-to-Dispel detail is a valid part of the interpretation too.

FinalJustice
2009-08-29, 01:44 PM
IMHO, it affects level based variables, such as dispel DC, duration, damage, but doesn't affect YOUR caster level, preventing you from qualifying to PrCs or feats that have a caster level requirement, such as Obtain Familiar.

Edit: Oh, teh ninjas...

Thrawn183
2009-08-29, 10:19 PM
So, in summation, if I was to use this with Chain Missile, it would count towards giving me extra missiles, but not towards overcoming SR?

Keld Denar
2009-08-29, 10:59 PM
There are some other effects that probably wouldn't be affected. If you took Arcane Disciple (Good) and got Holy Word on your list, it wouldn't be affected.

Thrawn183
2009-08-30, 01:16 AM
Thanks for the help, everybody!

Thrawn183
2009-08-30, 11:24 AM
Okay, I have another question, and rather than starting an entire new thread, I'm using this one again. The spell, Force Missiles, in Spell Compendium: it says you get 1 missile every 4 caster levels, does this mean that at caster level 4 you have 2 missiles or 1? I always get confused when spells are described this way.

I also have a question about Residual Metamagic. Does it work on the same spell that has various metamagic's applied to it? Ie. if you used twin spell one round, and then cast the same spell maximized the next round, could you apply twin spell to it for free as the feat?

MichielHagen
2009-08-30, 11:43 AM
Okay, I have another question, and rather than starting an entire new thread, I'm using this one again. The spell, Force Missiles, in Spell Compendium: it says you get 1 missile every 4 caster levels, does this mean that at caster level 4 you have 2 missiles or 1? I always get confused when spells are described this way.

It does what it says. You get one missile every 4 caster levels.

1 at level 4
2 at level 8
3 at level 12....

Cieyrin
2009-08-30, 11:43 PM
I also have a question about Residual Metamagic. Does it work on the same spell that has various metamagic's applied to it? Ie. if you used twin spell one round, and then cast the same spell maximized the next round, could you apply twin spell to it for free as the feat?

It's Residual Magic (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Residual_Magic,CM), btw. As for the metamagic bit, yes, you can apply metamagic from the first to the second, even if the second has a different metamagic on it. For the purpose of the feat, all it cares about is if it's the same spell, not what alterations you affected it with. A Fireball is a Fireball is a Fireball, even when one is empowered and the other is widened.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.