PDA

View Full Version : [SWSaga] Difference between rifle and carbine

Yora
2009-08-29, 01:45 PM
Either it's simply a mistake, or I'm missing some important facts:

But what is the difference between a blaster carbine and a blaster rifle? They seem to be completely identical, except that the carbine is both cheaper AND lighter. Range, damage, and ammunition is the same, and both can have folding stocks. So what's the meaning of the rifle?

Mando Knight
2009-08-29, 01:55 PM
The rifle isn't inaccurate, so it can be used at long range, but the carbine can always be used for OAs.

NEO|Phyte
2009-08-29, 02:14 PM
To expand on what Mando said, pre-errata, there is literally no reason to not take the carbine. It's cheaper, lighter, and can be used to take AoOs even when the stock is extended.

The errata adds the inaccurate descriptor to it, which means it cannot be used at Long range. Of course, the odds of ever being in an engagement at Long range are slightly low, as far as I've seen in my SAGA experience, so it's still not much of a downside.

Yora
2009-08-29, 07:12 PM
Okay, I was just thinking that I had probably missed one highly important part of the weapon rules.

Lycan 01
2009-08-30, 12:37 AM
Its also worth noting that the rifle is bigger than the carbine, so while you might be able to fit a carbine into a tight spot, the rifle will be clunkier and more cumbersome by comparison, albiet slightly more-so in most cases.

Person_Man
2009-08-30, 04:03 PM
Also, there's really no reason not to carry a bunch of different weapons and to use each of them when they're most optimal. In particular, I've noticed that Jedi players have a tendency to only carry their lightsaber, when they should be carrying 4 lightsabers, a few dozen grenades, something with autofire, a stun blaster, an ion blaster, etc.

KillianHawkeye
2009-08-30, 04:19 PM
I've noticed that Jedi players have a tendency to only carry their lightsaber, when they should be carrying 4 lightsabers, a few dozen grenades, something with autofire, a stun blaster, an ion blaster, etc.

"So uncivilized!" :smallwink:

NEO|Phyte
2009-08-30, 04:20 PM
Also, there's really no reason not to carry a bunch of different weapons and to use each of them when they're most optimal. In particular, I've noticed that Jedi players have a tendency to only carry their lightsaber, when they should be carrying 4 lightsabers, a few dozen grenades, something with autofire, a stun blaster, an ion blaster, etc.

To be fair, unless they spend feats and/or multiclass, they aren't proficient in non-lightsabers :P

Starbuck_II
2009-08-30, 04:42 PM

I always carry genades. Ion/Stun.
A Blaster (the type/damage depends on how I feel)

But 4 lightsabers... Why?

Xyk
2009-08-30, 05:05 PM
I always carry genades. Ion/Stun.
A Blaster (the type/damage depends on how I feel)

But 4 lightsabers... Why?

In case the first 3 break? Perhaps a normal one, a short one, a double one and a red one for intimidation purposes?

Foryn Gilnith
2009-08-30, 05:49 PM
Two shoto for parrying, a dual-phase or a pike or something like that for reach, a greatsaber for pure damage, another greatsaber (red) for that intimidate thing you mentioned, others for stun/ion damage...