PDA

View Full Version : IRC: Its like multiplayer Notepad!

NEO|Phyte
2006-05-27, 02:38 AM
Welcome to the official thread for my unofficial GiantITP.com IRC channel. Those of you that are reading this and wondering what the hell I'm talking about, IRC is a text-based chatting client. It functions much like the chat feature in a standard MMO. Once you are connected to a server, you can join various channels and chat with the people in those channels.

This channel has existed for a while, and I've been working to get enough people into the channel that it actually becomes a place where you can meet your fellow forumers and discuss things in real-time. The most people we've had in the channel at any one time is 13, but there have been more unique visitors than that. The problem is that they show up, and then leave shortly thereafter because the place looks dead. If those people would stay, the channel may actually take off to the point where it isn't constantly at a point of near death.

Given certain tendencies that people on this board have, I have added a Diceroller bot to the channel, and in the event of people wanting to try playing a game through IRC, I am willing to add the bot to other channels to allow its use without spamming up the main channel. To use the bot, just say !dice [a]#[x]d[y]±[z]~[b], replacing the [x],[y], and [z]s with the appropriate numbers. The [a]# and ~[b] are optional, and allow you to make multiple seperate rolls. [a]# doing multiple identical rolls, and ~[b] doing rolls with multiple modifiers, such as a +20/+15/+10/+5 full attack.

<NEO|Phyte> !dice 4#1d20
<The_TPK> NEO|Phyte : Result of 4#1d20 : 2 5 12 15

<NEO|Phyte> !dice 1d20+20~15~10~5
<The_TPK> NEO|Phyte : Result of 1d20+20~15~10~5 : (3) 23 (16) 31 (7) 17 (2) 7

If you've used IRC before, aim your clients at #GiantITP on irc.gamesurge.net
For those of you that are interested, but don't have IRC, Mortarion has created a Web-based IRC client (http://gitp.afsmg.co.uk/cgi-bin/irc.cgi) that you can try. Note that only 4 people can be using this client at any one time, as it uses a static hostmask, and Gamesurge doesn't allow more than 4 concurrent connections from a single hostmask

If you want to get a regular IRC client, here is a simple guide:

1. Download an IRC Client (mIRC (http://mirc.com) is free inspite the apparent 30 day use.) (If you don't use Windows, there is a list of other IRC clients farther down in this post.)

2. In the mIRC Options set your nickname as your nickname, then go to the server tab and select GameSurge Random Server.

3. Connect, and type "/j #GiantITP"Since this guide is rather vague, I have created a picture walkthrough of setting up mIRC to connect to the channel.

You just opened mIRC, and should see this screen.
http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/8827/1wa4.jpg

Once you have set your credentials, its time to choose a server.
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/2672/2rz2.jpg

once thats done, you can hit connect, but that won't get you into the channel. Once you're connected to the server, you can type "/j #GiantITP" and you will be connected to the channel, but its quicker to set mIRC to automatically do so.
http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/7738/3sh4.jpg

After thats done, you can hit Connect. Assuming nothing went wrong, you should end up with something like this:
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/7517/4ik1.th.jpg (http://img138.imageshack.us/my.php?image=4ik1.jpg)I'm told that most clients work similarly to this.

Users of Mozilla browsers (such as Firefox) can use Chatzilla (http://chatzilla.hacksrus.com/) to connect to the IRC. Once you have it installed, all you need to do is open it from your Tools menu, configure as desired, then type "/server irc.gamesurge.net", and "/j #GiantITP" once it finishes connecting.

If you use Trillian, it has a built-in IRC client.
For non-windows users, there is X-Chat (http://www.xchat.org/download/), which has builds for a handful of Lunix distros. (I know Redhat/Fedora comes with it normally.)
There is also Conversation (http://homepage.mac.com/philrobin/conversation/) for the Mac users on the boards.
If none of these work for you, I can dig up other IRC clients for you..

Deleran
2006-07-03, 05:10 PM
IRC: Multiplayer notepad. Join #giantITP and take part in excellent conversations such as these ones:

[00:07] &lt;Deleran&gt; man
[00:07] &lt;Deleran&gt; this place
[00:07] &lt;Deleran&gt; is empty

[03:40] &lt;Felinoid&gt; Boy, you weren't kidding about this place being dead, were you?

[06:15] &lt;@NEO&#124;Phyte`&gt; ack, other people talking oO
[06:16] &lt;@NEO&#124;Phyte`&gt; &lt;_&lt;
[06:16] &lt;Felinoid&gt; Talking? What's that?
[06:20] &lt;@NEO&#124;Phyte`&gt; I'm not entirely sure, actually

So come on in and join the gang (which consists primarily of 3 people and a bot atm). Things will pick up, I swear. :P

IonizedChicken
2006-07-03, 09:05 PM
Ooo! IRC! Shiny!

*goes to join*

Gralamin
2006-07-03, 09:09 PM
*sets up mirc* hope to see ya guys soon

Deleran
2006-07-05, 02:15 AM
Join now, while Neo is still generously handing out voices.

The_Stoney_One
2006-07-05, 10:26 AM
I got it working!

woooo!

NEO|Phyte
2006-07-05, 11:03 AM
I got it working!

woooo!
and you managed to join while everyone was asleep. It's still mostly empty in there, but at least I'm awake now.

Deleran
2006-07-05, 04:00 PM
and you managed to join while everyone was asleep. It's still mostly empty in there, but at least I'm awake now.

Yeah man, what were you thinkin' comin in at 7:30 AM?

NEO|Phyte
2006-07-20, 12:30 AM
So, for a while it was looking good, with a nice consistant amount of people who would actually talk and stuff. Then people stopped coming back D: .

TSO still hasn't managed to join when people were awake, but we did have a friendly visit from Vorpal Tribble.

Currently its just me and Deleran in the channel, and thats all it has been, aside from the occasional other person coming in, sometimes commenting on the emptiness, then leaving.

If you people don't STAY in the channel, it will never take off.

Gralamin
2006-07-20, 12:51 AM
I've just had other Heroes of Might and Magic V related things to do.

Thes Hunter
2006-07-20, 01:31 AM
The first time I used IRC I was stalked. Back then IT security wasn't as tight as it is now, and I remember something about me popping up on IRC with my ip displayed.

At that time, the IP (or whatever popped up) would tell you the computer lab and the computer station I was sitting at. And since there was this guy hounding me asking for a date (because he saw I came up on a the same schools network) I decided I didn't wish to stick around long enough for this guy to try to do so in person.

Since that time, though I am sure it is safer, I have always had a bad taste in my mouth for IRC. :P

KaroLunel
2006-07-20, 11:37 AM
I seems...interesting...

Samiam303
2006-07-26, 07:02 PM
Hey. I just joined. Not much happening...

Vaynor
2006-07-26, 07:11 PM
I have a Mac and the X-Chat one doesn't work...

NEO|Phyte
2006-07-26, 09:40 PM
@samiam
Until we get a larger user base, its gonna be boring in there. I'm working on it ;)

I have a Mac and the X-Chat one doesn't work...
Hang on, I know of a good Mac client, I just need to quick dig up the link. Watch for an edit.
:edit: Conversation (http://homepage.mac.com/philrobin/conversation/). Adding a link to the first post as well.

Also, not sure If I remembered to set my IRC to indicate as such, but I'm at class ATM, and thus not in front of my IRC client, so don't waste too much effort trying to talk to me.

Ego Slayer
2006-07-26, 11:08 PM
Can someone explain exactly how I'm supposed to make this thing work? It seems so damn confusing I dunno where to even start..

NEO|Phyte
2006-07-27, 12:55 AM
Can someone explain exactly how I'm supposed to make this thing work? It seems so damn confusing I dunno where to even start..
Ok, I am gonna assume you are talking about mIRC. I haven't used it before, so I downloaded it and made a quick picture tutorial that should get you in there.

You just opened mIRC, and should see this screen.
http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/8827/1wa4.jpg

Once you have set your credentials, its time to choose a server.
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/2672/2rz2.jpg

once thats done, you can hit connect, but that won't get you into the channel. once its connected to the server, you can type &quot;/j #GiantITP&quot; and you will be connected into the channel, but its quicker to set mIRC to automatically do so.
http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/7738/3sh4.jpg

Vaynor
2006-07-27, 01:07 AM
Ok, getting it set up, I chose channel, and typed in #GiantITP, and no ones here.... I'm confused...

Gralamin
2006-07-27, 01:14 AM
try #giantitp
I'm not sure if capitals effect it but just try.

Vaynor
2006-07-27, 01:27 AM
try #giantitp
I'm not sure if capitals effect it but just try.
Still not working.

Vaynor
2006-07-27, 01:30 AM
okay are you in the gamesurge network?
I'm using Conversations...

Gralamin
2006-07-27, 01:35 AM
rigth your a mac user, Let me downlaod conversstations and see if I can figure it out with that.

edit: can't work with pcs, I'll see if I can figure it out with their site.

Vaynor
2006-07-27, 01:36 AM
rigth your a mac user, Let me downlaod conversstations and see if I can figure it out with that.

edit: can't work with pcs, I'll see if I can figure it out with their site.
Ok, thanks!

Gralamin
2006-07-27, 01:39 AM
okay lets see if this will work:
Press the + button, and type in the following address:
irc.gamesurge.net, then from there try typing in /j #giantitp (or whatever its join command is)

Vaynor
2006-07-27, 01:41 AM
Ok! Trying it now...

EDIT: It worked! Woooo!

Ego Slayer
2006-07-27, 04:43 PM
I've got it! Yay!

Vaynor
2006-07-27, 04:47 PM
I've got it! Yay!
If you've got it get on, it's empty here...

Ego Slayer
2006-07-27, 04:49 PM
Weird.. its empty here too.. I did everything right..

Vaynor
2006-07-27, 04:51 PM
Weird.. its empty here too.. I did everything right..
It's &quot;/join #giantitp&quot;, maybe you got the wrong address...

NEO|Phyte
2006-08-17, 02:06 AM
With the recent surge of activity the channel has recently recieved, I figured it was as good a time as any to bring this thread back up from whataver page it had fallen to.

This also resets the threadcromancy timer, which is handy, as I don't want to have to recompile all of this stuff into a new thread.

Lucky
2006-08-17, 02:10 AM
Seems mildly interesting actually... I'll look into it...

EDIT: I think I'm on, is anyone actually on at this time?

NEO|Phyte
2006-08-17, 02:43 PM
EDIT: I think I'm on, is anyone actually on at this time?
I was away at the time, but I'm there now, not sure about the others.

Gralamin
2006-08-17, 04:39 PM
right now theres 8 people on.

Saithis Bladewing
2006-08-21, 10:56 AM
I'd like to mention that if you have Trillian, it comes with a built-in IRC. Just a little FYI. &lt;_&lt;

NEO|Phyte
2006-10-07, 01:18 PM
((I've consolidated my multiposts))
@^ added to the first post, which just recieved an overhaul.

The channel is starting to slowly die out again, which has prompted this post, as well as the inclusion of a Diceroller bot, which would make running games through IRC much easier. Just need to find some DMs that are willing to use it.

Mortarion has created a Web-based IRC client (http://gitp.afsmg.co.uk/cgi-bin/irc.cgi) that can be used to give IRC a &quot;test drive&quot; before you decide to try a regular client. All you have to do is set yourself a username and it connects you. Note that only 4 people can be using this client at any one time, as it uses a static hostmask, and Gamesurge doesn't allow more than 4 concurrent connections from a single hostmask

As you are all most likely aware of by now, the webserver that GiantITP is hosted on is under quite a lot of stress. In an effort to help reduce the strain (and get more activity in the channel), I am once again bumping this thread for great justice.

Talk to people! Meet semi famous forum recluses like that Adghar guy that used to make avatars or some such! Maybe we'll even get around to setting up and playing some D&amp;D games through IRC! All for free!*

*Internet access not included, consult your doctor before use.

The Demented One
2006-10-08, 12:30 AM
Okay, I tried connecting with Trillian, but it got mad at me and crashed. Can anyone halp?

ExHunterEmerald
2006-10-08, 12:37 AM
I'd recommend PIRCH for a quick setup.

Democratus
2006-10-10, 08:34 AM
Ah, IRC. Cutting edge 1999 technology. ::)

How about you just set up a Teamspeak server? It will save everyone even the trouble of typing - and you'd get to put a voice to all the many oots posters that visit.

Samiam303
2006-10-10, 01:25 PM
But very few people would go to the trouble of JOINING it. IRC is EASY. :P

Poison_Fish
2006-10-10, 02:04 PM
And without the need for a mic. Not that I have a problem with my mic.

Though, vent tends to be a little more useful for us mac users, as long as your running the speex codec.

Ah, IRC, so much fun.

storybookknight
2006-10-11, 12:40 AM
I have joined! I dance and sing!

Iroll20s
2006-10-11, 06:23 AM
As have I... and it does demonstrate what timezones people are in... e.g im awake when everyone else is asleep...
Hence:
&lt;Bananaphone&gt; *Insert tumbleweed and crickets here*

Hydrogelic
2006-10-11, 11:23 AM
Ill boot it up now VIA the miracle of trillian :p

Can a fellow or fellowette trilllian user tell me what to plug into the feilds ?

Bryn
2006-10-11, 11:58 AM
Those who frequent the IRC will know I turn up now and then to lauching discussions on various topics, such as random defenestration (including that of mullions), my death, True Resurrect and the cost thereof, and even the 4th dimension and what letter would be appropriate to identify its axis.
It has revealed I have a remarkable ability to kill conversations.

Now, for a scientific experiment, I am going to release some concentrated Z-Axis into irc, and see how long it takes for all the conversation to die. This will happen immediately after I finish this post.

Anyway, irc, what fun!

Hydrogelic
2006-10-11, 12:32 PM
Damn , non-intuitive messaging client .&gt;.&lt;

Pelziges_Ohr
2006-10-11, 02:21 PM
Teamspeak would be fun.
Sadly there is no point in talking without a microphone.
I could plug in my guitar and yell at it. My voice would be a bit metal like, but it'd work ;)

NEO|Phyte
2006-10-11, 03:15 PM
&lt;Felinoid&gt; Would you ask Haley to give back gold?
&lt;thanatosmex&gt; whos haley?
&lt;Felinoid&gt; -_-
&lt;Felinoid&gt; Right. You don't know OotS.
&lt;thanatosmex&gt; oots???/
&lt;bugfix&gt; How'd you end up here if you don't read giantitp.com?
&lt;SingingDancingMoose&gt; magic.
&lt;thanatosmex&gt; i looked for an irc chat on google but didnt enter the page until earlier today
&lt;thanatosmex&gt; its my second day with misc
&lt;thanatosmex&gt; mirc
&lt;PelzigesOhr&gt; Wow
&lt;bugfix&gt; But... how did you find this channel? There are thousands...
&lt;PelzigesOhr&gt; He followed the call of Banjhuluh
&lt;thanatosmex&gt; i searched for chats on google
&lt;thanatosmex&gt; on there i went to the pages i could understand without reading all of it
&lt;thanatosmex&gt; on this one there where pictures on the page
&lt;thanatosmex&gt; so it was easier
&lt;NEO&#124;Phyte&gt; so you joined a random IRC channel because you could understand the instructions?
&lt;thanatosmex&gt; so whats oots?
&lt;NEO&#124;Phyte&gt; that is totally random
&lt;thanatosmex&gt; yes
&lt;NEO&#124;Phyte&gt; Webcomic
&lt;SingingDancingMoose&gt; I don't know, I think his explanation is pretty sensible
&lt;thanatosmex&gt; ohhh
&lt;NEO&#124;Phyte&gt; http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html
&lt;thanatosmex&gt; whats that?
&lt;PelzigesOhr&gt; You should post this on the forum
&lt;thanatosmex&gt; ok wait
&lt;bugfix&gt; A comic. On the web. :)
&lt;thanatosmex&gt; ohhhh

This thread managed to bring in a completely random person from the internet into the channel. Its that win.

Samiam303
2006-10-11, 04:03 PM
That's the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.

On a totally unrelated note, anyone else think that this thread should be stickied?

Ego Slayer
2006-10-11, 04:06 PM
I think it'd be nice if we had a list of people who have been in the chat and what their gitp names are.. cause I don't know half of who is in there..

That is freakin' awesome. You win all, Neo. ;D

Lucid_Archon
2006-10-11, 11:52 PM
I agree with ego slayer. I'd also like to note that all the cool kids are on this channel. Also, trying it once totally won't get you addicted.

Archonic Energy
2006-10-12, 03:31 AM
ME = Archonic_Energy

could you guess?

Iroll20s
2006-10-13, 07:06 AM
I'll give you a hint

Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring _____________

McDeath
2006-10-13, 09:50 PM
I change names a lot on IRC. It will generally be in German. After all, everything sounds better in German.

;)

Lucky
2006-10-13, 09:56 PM
I went on today for my first time since August, yeah... I knew Neo, and that's about it.

I'm Lucky_The_Leprechaun... Who would of guessed? :P

Renegade Paladin
2006-10-19, 09:36 PM
Yeah, I'm in there right now, name the same as here. Emerald and FelGaming (whoever they are) are the only others in there now; anyone care to join us?

Edit: Oh come on, Traven. You give up too quickly. ;D

Gralamin
2006-10-19, 10:37 PM
good 17 people currently

If you can't figure out who I am well, maybe your not meant for this site.

NEO|Phyte
2006-10-27, 07:59 PM
Hrmm, it would appear that the new board software doesnt let you change the title of a topic.

Vaniel
2006-10-29, 11:35 PM
Make a new topic then, and link to this one.

Just top give you guys incentive to join, last time I checked, we somehow ended up having a huge discussion about lives, souls, the internet, stretched anuses, games, IQs...

Well...

Forget about what I said :P

The Evil Thing
2006-11-01, 07:35 AM
Trillian is being a bit fiddly. Could someone tell me the "Server Alias" is? I've tried everything my concentration will permit me, any ideas?

Margerine A Low Fat Cannibal
2006-11-15, 01:31 PM
I'm on.
"TGS`Drakai"

the geekish one
2006-11-18, 10:46 PM
Cool I'll have to remember that if the forums are down

Samiam303
2007-02-13, 06:24 PM
So Rex Idiotarum and I have been having a problem with Trillian. We can connect to the server, see the conversation, change our nicks and use '/me [action]'. However, if we talk, nobody but us can see it.

Anyone else used Trillian? Is it working, or no?

NEO|Phyte
2007-02-14, 01:36 AM
So Rex Idiotarum and I have been having a problem with Trillian. We can connect to the server, see the conversation, change our nicks and use '/me [action]'. However, if we talk, nobody but us can see it.

Anyone else used Trillian? Is it working, or no?
As you should be aware, the problem is solved, the channel was set to block chat that was using funky colors. It isn't now.

Samiam303
2007-02-14, 03:22 PM
Yeah but even though the server's allowing it now, some versions of mIRC have been having problems with it. It's better if everyone tries to stick with standard black type on transparent background.

Glaivemaster
2007-02-14, 03:37 PM
Ermm, I think I'm on, but no-one else is...

EDIT: Nope, I got it sorted

Bryn
2007-02-14, 03:49 PM
Ermm, I think I'm on, but no-one else is...
Make sure you didn't mis-spell the channel. There're tons of people on right now.

Lu-Tzao
2007-02-15, 05:06 AM
ok, well that was wierd. A) I saw my old profile's (lost profile, forevermore) post on this thread and B) It's ENTIRELY empty... not surprising, I live in the southern hole that is New Zealand... Blast!

Xaspian
2007-02-15, 08:19 AM
Hmm. So I've appeared, I think. Pretty quiet, it seems.
I'll check from time-to-time, though. See if it gets busier/anything happens.

NEO|Phyte
2007-02-15, 10:48 AM
ok, well that was wierd. A) I saw my old profile's (lost profile, forevermore) post on this thread and B) It's ENTIRELY empty... not surprising, I live in the southern hole that is New Zealand... Blast!
It shouldn't be EMPTY, people are in there around the clock, just not neccessarily in an awake, chatting state. Is it possible you typo'd the channel name?

Rockphed
2007-02-15, 12:52 PM
My firewall won't let mIRC connect, what should I do?

SDF
2007-02-15, 12:54 PM
My firewall won't let mIRC connect, what should I do?

What program do you use?(hopefully not Norton :P) You could always turn it off.

Rockphed
2007-02-15, 01:00 PM
I do use norton, and normally it gives me the option to allow a program, but not this time. Any good solutions that won't leave my computer open to everything but the kitchen sink?

SDF
2007-02-15, 01:04 PM
I do use norton, and normally it gives me the option to allow a program, but not this time. Any good solutions that won't leave my computer open to everything but the kitchen sink?

Yeah, use a different program. Your computer is infected with Norton :smalltongue: Sorry, but that program is terrible... If you don't turn it off you might be able to fiddle with the settings, but as I don't use it I can't check for you.

Glaivemaster
2007-02-15, 01:06 PM
Odd, I use Norton, and my computer doesn't mind

Rockphed
2007-02-15, 01:16 PM
I got Norton to let me through, now my joining attempts seem to be timing out. Stupid internet.

Hoggy
2007-02-16, 10:42 AM
I use HydraIRC, for those few of you that may know of it. Everytime I try connect to Gamesurge, it... well, won't connect. Help?

Lu-Tzao
2007-02-16, 03:42 PM
It shouldn't be EMPTY, people are in there around the clock, just not neccessarily in an awake, chatting state. Is it possible you typo'd the channel name?

Well, that's what I thought at first, I tried #GiantITP and #giantitp as my /j's so... I'm at a loss :smallconfused:
... nevermind, I got it

Dr._Weird
2007-02-28, 05:50 PM
I came. I saw. Not a lot of talking went on. My nick is The_Doctor, surprisingly enough.

Aereshaa_the_2nd
2007-04-22, 07:00 PM
I'm in. I got it working. cool.

TheBoneSplitter
2007-04-22, 11:44 PM
Coools, an IRC thread.

<--- TBS, under ChatZilla for Firefox, and as such am a newbie to IRC.

drkmirror
2007-06-10, 03:21 PM
Cool if I could connect
Thought of moving to efnet or undernet Dalnet ??

If it keeping a channel open I can put my eggdrop on it

Penguinizer
2007-06-20, 10:07 AM
I need a quick run down on how to join in Chatzilla. I are confused >.<

Thrawn183
2007-06-20, 08:50 PM
Ok, I'm done trying to join tonight (physics test tomorrow).

Here's my problem: I can't seem to connect to the gamesurge server. I'll try on friday in my school's library where the firewalls are weaker. (You can anywhere but the dorms... aren't they brilliant!?)

Serpentine
2007-06-20, 10:15 PM
I joined, but noone was there, and I have to do work...

NEO|Phyte
2007-06-20, 10:24 PM
I joined, but noone was there, and I have to do work...Sounds like you may have joined the wrong network, was the channel empty, or was it simply devoid of chatting at the time?

Cool if I could connect
Thought of moving to efnet or undernet Dalnet ??

If it keeping a channel open I can put my eggdrop on itA network switch is not all that likely, mainly because we are somewhat well-established on Gamesurge, and a network switch would likely end up adding more confusion to the mix.

Why are you unable to connect?

I need a quick run down on how to join in Chatzilla. I are confused >.<
Gimme a few minutes so I can try out Chatzilla myself and I'll edit in some instructions.

Serpentine
2007-06-20, 10:26 PM
...I was the only one there? I chatted, but 'twere a little one-sided...

NEO|Phyte
2007-06-20, 10:31 PM
...I was the only one there? I chatted, but 'twere a little one-sided...
yeah, it sounds like you were on the wrong network then, the IRC has been fairly active today.
Try again when you can, if you end up in an empty room again, type "/server irc.gamesurge.net", then "/j #GiantITP" once it finishes connecting.

As for chatzilla, as Gamesurge is not among its known networks, just type "/server irc.gamesurge.net", then "/j #GiantITP" once it finishes connecting.

Serpentine
2007-06-20, 11:53 PM
Ah, heh, this was yesterday morning (my time, as in, when all of America is fast asleep), not today. I'll work it out properly later. No biggy quite yet.

Pink
2007-07-09, 01:18 AM
I'm on, as my old standby nick of pink_lugia since my other seems taken, and i'll probably visit every now and then too.

The Great Skenardo
2007-07-10, 10:35 PM
Sheesh. People on IRC have no sense of humor these days.

Pyro
2007-07-12, 11:14 PM
Hmmm there seem to be several people on but no ones saying anything.

Lyesmith
2007-12-31, 12:43 PM
I joined it, but nobody is talking.
Did ijoin at the wrong time of day/night?

Samiam303
2007-12-31, 12:58 PM
It really hasn't caught on at all. There's a decent number of people who are always in the room, but almost nobody is ever actually there talking as far as I can tell. The AIM chatroom is far more popular.

Lyesmith
2007-12-31, 12:59 PM
...Oh! Whats that one?
it sounds pretty interesting.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-01-01, 04:37 PM
Hmmm I didnt know Gitp had an IRC chatroom.

I used Mirc some time back before I joined Gitp, I was on the KOC clan channels there, and wow sometimes that was active(not ment sarcastically)

The idea has merit, maybe we could get some SMBG´ers play Kiss or Kill on it... That´d be awesome.... though Ninja´ers would be more often sighted...

NEO|Phyte
2008-01-01, 06:02 PM
I joined it, but nobody is talking.
Did i join at the wrong time of day/night?

If there was other people in the room, probably. Like any IRC channel (barring really really huge ones), there are times when nobody talks. When there's only 7 people sitting in the channel on average, that has a tendency to be most of the time.

If you were the only person in the room, you weren't in the right channel.

Valgunn
2008-05-30, 12:49 PM
IRC. Haunt of famous letters like "Q"!

Lorn
2008-05-30, 01:20 PM
*downloads ChatZilla and signs up*

Yay. Bit quiet, but.. meh.

Valgunn
2008-05-31, 07:21 PM
Bloop! Come on join up!

Dark_Stalion
2008-05-31, 07:28 PM
... Hmm, seem to be having trouble connecting to the server. Wondering if server has changed from GameSurge, or am I being stupid and spelling it wrong, or something (wouldn't be the first time).

Unknown host “gamesurge” connecting to irc://gamesurge/,isserver (irc://gamesurge/,isserver).

The Extinguisher
2008-05-31, 07:39 PM
Sounds fun.

Question though. Is there anyway to have more than one server running at a time?

InaVegt
2008-06-01, 12:48 AM
... Hmm, seem to be having trouble connecting to the server. Wondering if server has changed from GameSurge, or am I being stupid and spelling it wrong, or something (wouldn't be the first time).

Type: /server irc.gamesurge.net/

I'm sure there is a way to give direct links to IRC servers, but I'm not sure how, maybe this (irc://irc.gamesurge.net/Giantitp/) works?

NEO|Phyte
2008-06-02, 11:53 AM
Sounds fun.

Question though. Is there anyway to have more than one server running at a time?

I'm logged into three different IRC servers, so yes. I wouldn't be surprised if some clients are more limited, though.

Of course, if you were literally talking about having multiple servers running, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to, as long as your computer can handle whatever processing needs a server requires.

Cainen
2008-06-02, 12:21 PM
For mIRC - /server -m *insert server here* opens a new server tab. XChat - Ctrl+T, /server *insert server here*. Same result. Other clients - well, I'm not going through those, since xchat and mIRC are the most popular.

ZeroNumerous
2008-06-28, 02:30 PM
Introducing I.R.C: Miami and I.R.C: New York! The same IRC, just in different locations and with different actors!

EDIT: We're still around and alive. Surely we can get more than twenty people on!

Hairb
2008-06-28, 10:45 PM
Our IRC channel is radness. I endorse it thoroughly.

Phantom.exe
2008-08-23, 01:44 PM
Oh, man! This is amazing!

Dallas-Dakota
2008-08-23, 01:58 PM
And when you do /me you'l get purple text.

:smallcool:

Phantom.exe
2008-10-03, 03:43 PM
This is great!

Valgunn
2008-11-06, 07:57 PM
Necromancy!

Vortling
2008-11-27, 10:24 PM
Coming up soon I'll be running one shot RP games for the irc channel on a semi regular basis. If you're interested at all please check out my thread here http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97912
Thanks!

Valgunn
2009-06-21, 12:35 PM
Extra special Necromancy!

randman22222
2009-06-21, 12:49 PM
Extra special Necromancy!

Is frowned upon and probably just got this thread locked! Whee!
(Don't mean to be harsh, but... what I just said is true.)

Roland St. Jude
2009-06-21, 01:45 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Thread necromancy is not allowed here. Nor do we appreciate people calling out the rule their breaking while doing it. Finally, comments like the post two above this one are essentially spam and should not be posted.