PDA

View Full Version : GWA mk III Fight XII

Lyndworm
2009-08-29, 05:23 PM
Eldariel vs. Nefele

A towering figure in a dark robe enters the room where you have been milling around sizing up the competition. His face is completely obscured by his hood. He raises both hands to get your attention and speaks in a deep voice.
Alya, Moira. You have been chosen to fight. Prepare yourselves! With that he brings his hands down and the two of you find yourself transported to the arena (http://excessivefreetime.org/arena/arena3.html)

OOC:
You've got time for one swift action and one standard action before you get transported in case you need to adopt a stance or activate an item.

On the map, green is open terrain, yellow is difficult terrain, red/brown is the cliffs (10ft, Climb DC20, blocks LoS). Arena has a 60 foot ceiling.

Opening post should have an initiative roll, anything you said after he called your name and what, if anything you did with the 'surprise round' before being transported. After that, start fighting in initiative order.

Edariel
Alya starts at F9, and cannot see Moira.
Nefele
Moira starts at AM31, and cannot see Alya.

nefele
2009-08-29, 05:41 PM
PREP ROUND

The gloura looks at the inconspicuous human in front of her and seems a bit resigned.
"Wish me luck, wildshaper", she smiles. And with that, she speaks a single command word, initiates the Child of Shadow stance - and is promptly teleported to the Arena.

swift action: Child of Shadow stance
standard action: activate Scout's Headband for 10 rounds of True Seeing

Initiative: [roll0]

OOC: Eldariel, I remind you that stances are not constantly active, we need to activate them in the prep round (or later).
We're on. :)

nefele
2009-08-29, 05:55 PM
Lynd:
If (and only if :smallsmile:) Alya wildshapes before teleportation, she becomes Huge. I believe that's taller than the rocks of the Arena, so she should be visible from most of it. Also have in mind that I landed on a rock, so I stand 10 ft up already. Thanks.

EDIT- And of course, she should be able to see most of the Arena, too.

Eldariel
2009-08-29, 07:32 PM
Lyndworm:
My Prep round involves becoming Huge, which means my present position would not be legal; I assume I get shunted to the nearest open space on teleportation, which would be F9-H7, but would like to confirm this.

Also, what's the ruling on using standard actions for swift actions on this arena? It might expedite my in-combat buffing, which would of course be very beneficial for me.

Alya smiles on calling of her name and instantaneously shifts into one of her favored fighting shapes. She shouts "Let luck have nothing to do with this!" back at her opponent and suddenly towers 15' high from the ground.

Prep:
Standard Action: Switch to Sanguaro Sentinel-form
Swift Action: Activate Law Devotion, adjusting it for defense
Free Action: Activate Cloak of Major Displacement
Free Action: Rage
Free Action: Feral Trance

Knowledge Devotion: [roll0]
Initiative: [roll1]

EDIT, OOC: Oh, that's a bummer. The oldest iteration allowed keeping one stance on constantly, meaning the swift action was mostly used for items, or Masters of the Nine or similar Dual Stancing. Ah well, I guess I'll have to just get used to this then. That might mean it'd be optimal for me to shift my school special abilities a bit as I'd probably be fighting mostly without stances. Ah well.

nefele
2009-08-29, 07:42 PM
OOC: I didn't understand exactly the school special abilities part, but in case I wasn't clear, we can enter a stance any time, including the prep round. We're just not assumed to be already in a stance before that.

Also, I've PMed Lynd to take a look at our spoilers. :)

Eldariel
2009-08-29, 07:47 PM
OOC: I didn't understand exactly the school special abilities part, but in case I wasn't clear, we can enter a stance any time, including the prep round. We're just not assumed to be already in a stance before that.

Also, I've PMed Lynd to take a look at our spoilers. :)

OOC: You were clear, I was just talking about the first iteration of the arena - there characters were allowed to maintain a single stance at all times and thus had a "default stance" when entering fight which would be active unless they used a swift action to switch it up; so you didn't need to assume a stance in combat unless you needed to switch it, which admittedly happened a lot. I pretty much copied my old buff routine from an ancient post for this since I assumed the rules would be about the same. Good to know this, of course.

nefele
2009-08-29, 08:01 PM
OOC: Oh, OK.
I've left a shout-out in the Talkie thread for someone to stop by (since Lynd is offline). But I'll tell you this.
My spoiler only has to do with LoS. Specifically, since you're now 15 ft tall and the cliffs only 10 ft, we probably see each other no matter what. If, in your spoiler, you don't need a serious DM ruling from Lynd, can we go on? And assume we have LoS, and can therefore open the first spoilers and see where we are?

Eldariel
2009-08-29, 08:05 PM
OOC: I'm probably off to sleep anyways (it's 4 AM; last we played morning my time), so I propose we put this on halt for today and continue tomorrow - I'm betting Lyndworm has answered by then anyways.

I've got two questions in my spoilers about rules I'd want answered (though most veterans of the new arena could probably tell me, but I'd like to hear from the head judge himself) before we proceed. But as I said above, we probably wouldn't be losing much anyways.

nefele
2009-08-29, 08:08 PM
OOC: OK, tomorrow then. By the way, we're on the same time zone. And yes, I'm nocturnal. :smallsmile:

Lyndworm:
And a rules question! I believe I'm right about this, but if I'm not I'd hate to be surprised.

Plants have "Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects)." This doesn't seem to include Fear. And I'm not talking about Fear from a spell or special attack (which would almost certainly be [Mind-Affecting], I'm talking about a mundane demoralise.

The feat I want to use (assuming I ever get the chance), Combat Panache, states: "Opponents that are immune to the effects of the Intimidate skill, such as mindless creatures and those with immunity to fear, are immune to this maneuver." This doesn't include someone who wildshapes into a plant, right?

Lyndworm
2009-08-30, 02:06 AM
OOC:

Alya has line of sight to Moira, and vise versa. Alya resides in squares F9-H7, and Moira resides in AM 31.

Nefele
For your first question, I agree entirely, and it is the sole reason that the two of you may now see one another. Thank you for reminding me of the heights involved.

As for your second question, I believe that I interpret that the same as you do. Plants are immune to mind-effecting effects but not Fear effects, unless otherwise noted.
Eldariel
As you can probably tell by my ruling on LoS, I agree with your "shunting" idea.

nefele
2009-08-30, 06:15 AM
ROUND 1

Moira spreads her wings and rises up in the air, her eyes glued to her opponent at the far end of the Arena. As she moves, shadows seem to flow around her.

"Do not shun luck, wildshaper! Even you may need it some day!", she shouts from afar, and then remarks: "Even today, perhaps..."
Though not as seriously.

Position: AM31, altitude 40ft
Moira has concealment (20% miss chance)
Designate Alya as my Dodge target
Swift Action: Law Devotion to AC
Move action: move upwards at half-speed for 30ft
Standard action: ready an action

Readied action: tumble 60 ft W to AM19 altitude 40, if Alya begins to attack Moira in melee.

STATS
AC 64 (56 + 1 dodge + 7 Law Devotion)
Touch 60
Flat-Footed 64 (due to Uncanny dodge)
hp 141

Scout's Headband rounds left: 9
Law Devotion rounds left: 10

Eldariel
2009-08-30, 03:18 PM
OOC: Just to clarify, Moira's only movement was flight upwards?

"Oh, I have nothing against the Lady, my friend. I just rather keep the reins of fight in my own hands, rather than those of a fickle, everchanging force.", the shapeshifter responds and takes on an odd coating of fur. She does not move.

Position: F9-H7
Alya has a 50% concealment
Mechanics:
Free Action: Designate Moira as Dodge-target
Swift Action: Activate Animal Devotion, Ape's Fury - +6 Sacred bonus to Strength
Full-Round Action: Use Adaptive Style to alter prepared maneuvers.

New Prepared Maneuvers:
Counter Charge
Zephyr Dance
Action Before Thought
Bounding Assault
Distracting Ember
Disrupting Blow
Searing Blade
Radiant Charge
Moment of Alacrity
Shadow Blink
Greater Divine Surge
Durations:
Rage: 13/14
Feral Trance: 13/14
Law Devotion: 9/10
Cloak of Major Displacement: 9/10
Animal Devotion, Ape's Fury: 10/10
Boots of Speed: Not active
HP: 195
AC: 55 (10 + 15 Natural Armor + 11 Con + 7 Wis + 2 Dex + 1 Dodge + 3 Armor + 1 Natural Armor Enhancement + 2 Deflection + 7 Law Devotion - 2 Rage - 2 Size)
Touch AC: 39
Flat-Footed AC: 52

Fortitude Save: +29 (9 + 11 Con + 4 Enhancement + 2 Great Fortitude + 2 Rat + 1 Trait)
Reflex Save: +11 (9 + 2 Dex + 4 Item - 1 Trait - 3 Flaw)
Will Save: +20 (9 + 7 Wis + 4 Item)

Threatened Range: 15'
Primary Attack: 1d20+37 (1d20+13 BAB+18 Str+1 Weapon Focus+1 Enhancement+2 Martial School+2 Knowledge Devotion)
Damage: 4d8+23 (4d8+18 Str+2 Knowledge Devotion+2 Feral Trance+1 Enhancement)

Str 47, Dex 14, Con 33, Int 16, Wis 24, Cha 12

nefele
2009-08-30, 03:55 PM
OOC: Yes, only upwards. By the way, I assume that we play with one swift action/round, per RAW. Right?

ROUND 2

"Odd... and I thought you were devoted to Luck." says Moira as she flies slowly to the North, still draped in shadows. She hasn't bothered to draw a blade yet, but she looks very very focused.

position: AA31, altitude 40ft
Moira has concealment (50% miss chance)

Swift action: activate Displacement
Move action: move N for 60ft, tumbling

Readied action: tumble 60 ft W (assuming I get to finish my move action without interruption, ending up in AA19 altitude 40), if Alya begins to attack Moira in melee.

STATS
Touch 60
hp 141

Displacement rounds left: 5
Scout's Headband rounds left: 8
Law Devotion rounds left: 9

nefele
2009-08-30, 04:13 PM
OOC: I forgot something, I'm editing above
EDIT - Concealment is now 50%

Eldariel
2009-08-30, 04:38 PM
OOC: Yes, I wouldn't dream of using something houseruleish without an official "Ok" from the head judge. Do not worry; I'll take my time buffing :smallsmile: I just realized that the chat we're having is probably a bit civil considering my Rage is active, but maybe I should reflavour it as...lethal calm or something.

"Oh yes, you could say that. We sort of have a master/servant relationship though; Luck is a part of my domain which mostly bestows me with the duty and capability to bend fortune a bit to my favour."

To better meet her adversary, Alya creates translucent wings and takes it to the skies, preparing for something. Her movement seems extremely swift for a creature of her size.

Position: G2-I4, 30'-45' up
Mechanics:
Swift Action: Animal Devotion, Hawk's Flight
Free Action: Activate Boots of Speed
Move Action: Spend my 85' movement rising in a 60 degree angle; 3 squares per 2 squares. By my counting, that means 56 2/3' up (halved for 28 1/2, rounded to 30'), and as such, ~30' in relation to land, Alya is centered on G8 right now and as such, moves to G7 > G6 > G5 > G4 > G3 > H3 turning 45' towards South-East.
Durations:
Rage: 12/14
Feral Trance: 12/14
Law Devotion: 8/10
Cloak of Major Displacement: 8/10
Animal Devotion, Ape's Fury: 9/10
Animal Devotion, Hawk's Flight: 10/10
Boots of Speed: 10/10
AC: 56 (10 + 15 Natural Armor + 11 Con + 7 Wis + 2 Dex + 1 Dodge 1 Haste + 3 Armor + 1 Natural Armor Enhancement + 2 Deflection + 7 Law Devotion - 2 Rage - 2 Size)
Touch AC: 40
Movement: 70', 85' Flight (Average)

Fortitude Save: +29 (9 + 11 Con + 4 Enhancement + 2 Great Fortitude + 2 Rat + 1 Trait)
Reflex Save: +11 (9 + 2 Dex + 4 Item - 1 Trait - 3 Flaw)
Will Save: +20 (9 + 7 Wis + 4 Item)

Primary Attack: 1d20+38 (1d20+13 BAB+18 Str+1 Weapon Focus+1 Enhancement+2 Martial School+2 Knowledge Devotion)

Prepared Maneuvers:
Counter Charge
Zephyr Dance
Action Before Thought
Bounding Assault
Distracting Ember
Disrupting Blow
Searing Blade
Radiant Charge
Moment of Alacrity
Shadow Blink
Greater Divine Surge

EDIT: Forgot to halve my ascent speed. Now it's correct.

nefele
2009-08-30, 05:10 PM
OOC: Hah, correct. A viciously calm rage. By the way, haven't I seen you initiate a stance or maneuver so far? Since we've had LoS from the beginning, and I have Martial Lore 18+?

ROUND 2

"Hmmm.... interesting", says Moira absent-mindedly, as she continues closing in on the wildshaper. She flies slowly, but elegantly.

position: AA19, altitude 40ft

Move action: move W for 60ft, tumbling

Readied action: tumble 30 ft E (assuming I get to finish my move action without interruption, ending up in AA25 altitude 40), if Alya begins to attack Moira in melee.

STATS
Touch 60
hp 141

Displacement rounds left: 4
Scout's Headband rounds left: 7
Law Devotion rounds left: 8

Eldariel
2009-08-30, 05:30 PM
OOC: No, none. I assume I have not either outside Child of Shadow. I simply have had no actions to use any maneuvers, nor no real opportunity to assume stance. Now though...

Alya continues to circle a bit, flying as high as she can without hitting the ceiling, and turning to face the air-bound fey. She also enters fighting stance and stands ready.

You identify her stances (Dual Stance) as:
Flame's Blessing
Leading the Charge

Position: B1-D3, 45'-60' up
Mechanics:
Swift Action: Dual Stance into Flame's Blessing + Leading the Charge
Move Action: Raise 15' more, move to H4 > G4 > F4 > E4 > C4 > B4 > B3 > B2 > C2
Standard Action: Ready action to use Full Defense if attacked.
Durations:
Rage: 11/14
Feral Trance: 11/14
Law Devotion: 7/10
Cloak of Major Displacement: 7/10
Animal Devotion, Ape's Fury: 8/10
Animal Devotion, Hawk's Flight: 9/10
Boots of Speed: 9/10
Dual Stance: 4/4
AC: 56 (10 + 15 Natural Armor + 11 Con + 7 Wis + 2 Dex + 1 Dodge 1 Haste + 3 Armor + 1 Natural Armor Enhancement + 2 Deflection + 7 Law Devotion - 2 Rage - 2 Size)
Touch AC: 40

Fortitude Save: +31 (9 + 11 Con + 4 Enhancement + 2 Great Fortitude + 2 Rat + 1 Trait + 2 Discipline Focus)
Reflex Save: +13 (9 + 2 Dex + 4 Item - 1 Trait - 3 Flaw + 2 Discipline Focus)
Will Save: +22 (9 + 7 Wis + 4 Item + 2 Discipline Focus)

Primary Attack: 1d20+40 (1d20+13 BAB+18 Str+1 Weapon Focus+1 Enhancement+4 Martial School+2 Knowledge Devotion)

Prepared Maneuvers:
Counter Charge
Zephyr Dance
Action Before Thought
Bounding Assault
Distracting Ember
Disrupting Blow
Searing Blade
Radiant Charge
Moment of Alacrity
Shadow Blink
Greater Divine Surge

EDIT: Forgot to apply a modifier to my Status.

nefele
2009-08-30, 05:50 PM
OOC: Clarification. Altitude 50 means 50-55. I'll assume no one has higher ground advantage as we are. But if I'm wrong, I hope you will allow me to change the move action and go higher.

ROUND 3

Moira rises up to match Alya's altitude, and continues her flight towards the - retreating, oddly enough - raging cactus.

position: S19, altitude 50ft

Move action: move 10 ft up at half speed and N for 40ft, tumbling

Readied action: tumble 30 ft E (assuming I get to finish my move action without interruption, ending up in S25, altitude 50), if Alya begins to attack Moira in melee.

STATS
Touch 60
hp 141

Displacement rounds left: 3
Scout's Headband rounds left: 6
Law Devotion rounds left: 7

Eldariel
2009-08-30, 06:18 PM
OOC: Higher ground is really hard to adjudicate so let's just say "no higher ground here plzkthx" and be done with it; if either were landbound or such, it could be different, but with both of us flying practically at the ceiling, it's just not gonna happen.

Finally ready, Alya soars through the sky at an astonishing speed, trying to launch a flurry on the fey.

Crunch: Two maneuvers you've been able to identify:
Moment of Alacrity
Bounding Assault

I'm rolling the attack run here to expedite, but if you have any readied or immediate actions that make it impossible, disregard it (and obviously, don't check the attacks until you've decided what do to, 'cause they haven't happened yet :smalltongue:):
Unarmed Strike #1: [roll0] Damage [roll1] Miss Chance (high hits) [roll2] [roll3]
Unarmed Strike #2: [roll4] Damage [roll5] Miss Chance (high hits) [roll6] [roll7]
Unarmed Strike #3: [roll8] Damage [roll9] Miss Chance (high hits) [roll10] [roll11]
Unarmed Strike #4: [roll12] Damage [roll13] Miss Chance (high hits) [roll14] [roll15]

Slam Attack #1: [roll16] Damage [roll17] Miss Chance (high hits) [roll18] [roll19]
Slam Attack #2: [roll20] Damage [roll21] Miss Chance (high hits) [roll22] [roll23]
Bite Attack: [roll24] Damage [roll25] Miss Chance (high hits) [roll26] [roll27]
Position: N18-P20, 45'-60' up
Mechanics:
Free Action: Shift Law Devotion to offense.
Swift Action: Initiate Moment of Alacrity, rising my Initiative count to 50.
Full-Round Action: Initiate Bounding Assault, using the double move to first move to C8 (30'), then diagonally to N19 (80') and finally turn to O19 (5'), then full attack.
Durations:
Rage: 10/14
Feral Trance: 10/14
Law Devotion: 6/10
Cloak of Major Displacement: 6/10
Animal Devotion, Ape's Fury: 7/10
Animal Devotion, Hawk's Flight: 8/10
Boots of Speed: 8/10
Dual Stance: 3/4
AC: 49 (10 + 15 Natural Armor + 11 Con + 7 Wis + 2 Dex + 1 Dodge 1 Haste + 3 Armor + 1 Natural Armor Enhancement + 2 Deflection - 2 Rage - 2 Size)
Touch AC: 33
Flat-Footed AC: 46

Fortitude Save: +31 (9 + 11 Con + 4 Enhancement + 2 Great Fortitude + 2 Rat + 1 Trait + 2 Discipline Focus)

Primary Attack: 1d20+50 (1d20+13 BAB+18 Str+1 Weapon Focus+1 Haste+1 Enhancement+6 Martial School+2 Knowledge Devotion+7 Law Devotion)

Prepared Maneuvers:
Counter Charge
Zephyr Dance
Action Before Thought
Bounding Assault
Distracting Ember
Disrupting Blow
Searing Blade
Radiant Charge
Moment of Alacrity
Shadow Blink
Greater Divine Surge

EDIT: Needed to adjust Durations.

nefele
2009-08-30, 06:36 PM
OOC: Yes, I have readied an action, to move the hell out, and the phrasing was "if Alya begins to attack Moira in melee." If I'm getting readied actions right, this means that you can't complete the full attack/charge of Bounding assault, because I'm not there any more, and your double move+attack have been expended.
As a readied action, I tumble 30 ft E and end up in S25, altitude 50. You can charge and kill me there. :smalltongue:

Just as Alya begins to attack, Moira flies away to the East, depriving her of her prey. But having recognised the boost Alya is using, she doesn't seem too optimistic.

Eldariel
2009-08-30, 07:04 PM
OOC: The whole "Move away when attacked"-anything is always a bit hard to adjudicate, but that seems pretty reasonable. There are about a dozen rules questions I'll have to run through a friggin' committee afterwards, but I'm running with just not using stuff that would require such adjudication right now. Also, this is next turn as per Moment of Alacrity.

ROUND 4

As expected, the fey eluded the first attack so Alya follows up with another, again expediting time, but this time making but a single strike. Moira can identify Greater Divine Surge.

Unarmed Strike: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] Miss Chance: [roll2] [roll3]

Note: Turn not over after that yet provided you survive.

Position: O24-Q26, 45'-60' up
Mechanics:
Move Action: Move to P25 (30')
Swift Action: Use Belt of Battle for a Full-Round Action, initiate Greater Divine Surge.
Durations:
Rage: 9/14
Feral Trance: 9/14
Law Devotion: 5/10
Cloak of Major Displacement: 5/10
Animal Devotion, Ape's Fury: 6/10
Animal Devotion, Hawk's Flight: 7/10
Boots of Speed: 7/10
Dual Stance: 2/4
AC: 42 (10 + 15 Natural Armor + 4 Con + 7 Wis + 2 Dex + 1 Dodge 1 Haste + 3 Armor + 1 Natural Armor Enhancement + 2 Deflection - 2 Rage - 2 Size)
Touch AC: 36
Flat-Footed AC: 39

Fortitude Save: +24 (9 + 4 Con + 4 Enhancement + 2 Great Fortitude + 2 Rat + 1 Trait + 2 Discipline Focus)

Primary Attack: 1d20+47 (1d20+13 BAB+18 Str+1 Weapon Focus+1 Haste+1 Enhancement+4 Martial School+2 Knowledge Devotion+7 Law Devotion)

Str 47, Dex 14, Con 18, Int 16, Wis 24, Cha 12

Prepared Maneuvers:
Counter Charge
Zephyr Dance
Action Before Thought
Bounding Assault
Distracting Ember
Disrupting Blow
Searing Blade
Radiant Charge
Moment of Alacrity
Shadow Blink
Greater Divine Surge

EDIT: Forgot I'm supposed to use the Round denominator when acting first on the round. Pardon me.

nefele
2009-08-30, 07:22 PM
OOC: You probably have something up your sleeve that I missed, but if Belt of Battle and Sudden Leap are all you have to be granted an action, I don't think that's possible.

Bounding Assault is a full-round action which ends with an attack. Since my readied action let you start your attack but prevented you from finishing it, the maneuver is over. Now you only have a swift action left for your turn, correct?
EDIT- And free actions, of course.

So how can you move and use a full-round action after that??

Eldariel
2009-08-30, 07:26 PM
OOC: Moment of Alacrity increases my Initiative by 20, putting it to 50 at the end of the round (note the timing - my initiative is unchanged at the moment I use Bounding Assault and thus your readied action does not up your Initiative to 50 acting before me) and thus I get my next turn before you.

I added a note in the OOC-section that that is my next turn - I didn't see a reason to wait since I do not think the game has any immediate action ways to increase your initiative, and no non-spell/power/20th level means of getting a actions out of initiative order. This new turn combined with Belt of Battle makes it all possible.

nefele
2009-08-30, 07:39 PM
OOC:
OOC: I added a note in the OOC-section that that is my next turn
Ah, OK then, it makes sense now. I don't know how I missed that note. (I hoped you had forgotten, and was merely praying for a second chance to elude via concealment. Nothing too reliable. :smalltongue:)

Moira finds herself as a sitting duck before Alya's mighty assault, and doesn't have time to even blink as the blow crushes her in mid-air. The remains that splatter to the ground from up high are hardly recognisable.

nefele
2009-08-30, 07:45 PM
OOC: I'm an idiot, you know. I had completely forgotten Moment of Alacrity - in fact I had confused it with the effect of readied actions: nothing really changes the order if there are only two people fighting. Otherwise, I would have prepared Counter Charge for charges and readied a "move the hell out" for the rest.

Though, come to think of it, I'm not sure if the readied action would remain readied for the next round, with the initiative order changing from Moment of Alacrity. It's mind-bogglingly confusing. May I open spoilers now?

And of course, good game. :smallsmile:
It's been an honour to have been squashed like that. :smalltongue:

Eldariel
2009-08-30, 07:45 PM
Heh, thanks for the fight then. I was fearing some nasty Immediate Action defense that would require me to come up with yet another sufficiently lethal assault with just a standard action remaining. Those are thankfully expensive. Btw, another fight in which I didn't get to use my Luck-domain granted power. Weird.

By the way, how in the world did you generate the 50% miss chance? I don't see the Major Cloak in your inventory and really have no idea where it came from.

It seems my mobility with Boots of Speed + Bounding Assault + Pounce is really a huge asset; when not starting adjacent, I can basically guarantee myself the alpha strike against anyone with movement speed less than 170' (if airborne) or 140' (if landbound), and with some delaying in turn order, I can basically guarantee myself 3 full-round actions.

Open spoilers away. I'll do the same.

"Well fought. Mayhap the roles will be reversed next time. Until then though..."

EDIT: With regards to readied actions, it's hard to say if wording that excludes attacks against which you use another counter is too complex. I mean, "Move away if attacked with a non-charge attack." would raise questions as to what exactly you count as a charge (for example, would that "register" Bounding Assault as a charge?) and yeah.

Otherwise though, it should persist until your next turn. Just, you'd lose your action that turn if you took a readied action, and would therefore only get to act the next turn (albeit on top of initiative barring Moment of Alacrity).

nefele
2009-08-30, 07:49 PM
50% miss chance came from Displacement armour property (MIC). It's a +1 equivalent, it needs a swift action to activate and only lasts for 5 rounds. Usable once per day.

nefele
2009-08-30, 07:56 PM
Dude.
You activated your Cloak of Displacement as a free action? Because it says "on command"? That's a command word activation, and it's a standard action (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#commandWord) unless otherwise noted. (E.g., most of the MIC items).

I'm requesting a rematch because....
Nah, I'm not requesting anything. You would have squashed me anyway.:smalltongue:

Eldariel
2009-08-30, 08:07 PM
50% miss chance came from Displacement armour property (MIC). It's a +1 equivalent, it needs a swift action to activate and only lasts for 5 rounds. Usable once per day.

Interesting. Well, I don't have the swift actions nor armor for it anyways so I guess I'll have to stick to my 50k Cloak. Also, if what you're saying is true about the Cloak (in which case it makes no sense for it to cost 40k... I'm just used to items that "can be used X rounds per day and the duration need not be consecutive" to being free actions, 'cause otherwise you burn most of their duration just activating and deactivating them). Well, gotta add that to the list of rules stuff to deal with. Well, I did have one free Standard Action this fight so I guess it doesn't really matter except for adjacent spawns. Also, the bunch of rules questions I ran into during this fight:
The Swift Action/Standard Action, obviously. It would be a house rule, but quite rational one, and would create an interesting tension as to whether to ready an action or to spend all your actions buffing.
Flying charge. Movement modes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#movementModes) states that flying creatures can make dive attacks that are basically charges, but can only use Talon or Claw-attacks with it. I was left wondering how exactly charging as a flyer goes - if that's the only way to charge, I'd need to take a form with Claws to do flying charges and wouldn't get my UA strikes. Bounding Assault was a convenient means of bypassing that since it simply states that you double move and then make an attack that just so happens to count as a Charge. I would've used Radiant Charge as my second approach if standard charges are allowed as flying, but didn't want to wait for rules issues.
As a huge creature, not all locations work for Alya. As such, I was left wondering what happens when I'm put into an illegal location. Luckily got an answer to this - Lynd agreed that I get shunted to the nearest open space.
How exactly is height adjudicated here. Also, what's the position while flying. Sanguaro Sentinels are 15'/15', but the fluff states they're 30'-50' high, which raises all kinds of complications. How the hell are we supposed to deal with stuff like this.
Readied actions - can you react to stuff after a roll has been made or do you just "get out of the way"? 'cause I still had ~50' of movement left after the Bounding Assault was complete so it feels weird I can't simply use the remaining movement to follow, but that has to do with how you can time readied actions.
Martial school weapons: How long does the increased bonus last? Do boosts trigger it? How long does it last with boosts? For example, if it lasts the turn after you've used the maneuver, I could've used Disrupting Blow to get bonuses to my Greater Divine Surge. If boosts activate it, I should obviously pick Quicksilver Motion over Shadow Blink. Sigh.
Immortal Fortitude: If I take damage and have Immortal Fortitude active and then lose so much Con that my life would go to negatives (such as with Rage ending or using Greater Divine Surge), do I get the Fort-save to be put to 1 instead of negatives?
If I lose Con while Wildshaped, do I also lose HP? Technically my present Con doesn't affect my HP, but then again, it makes no sense that I wouldn't. Do I have a "Shadow Con" from my original form that takes all the new alterations too and is used to determine my HP or what.

EDIT: Scratch that, 50k Cloak. Man, that thing is expensive. Honestly, if it requires a standard action to activate, it is utter trash.

nefele
2009-08-30, 08:40 PM
Rules, huh?

The Swift Action/Standard Action
I've already made my case about that. :)

Flying charge.
No idea, entirely up to DM ruling. The rules say that when flying creatures dive, this counts as a charge. They don't say if a flying creature can charge without diving. I'm pretty sure that there's somewhere a feat or ability that equates the two, which would imply that no, but bugger me if I remember what it was and where.

illegal location
Lynd's ruling makes perfect sense.

height
Good question. For horizontal reach, DMG p.308 gives the relevant picture. And lost somewhere in the Jump (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/jump.htm) rules, you can find the vertical reach, according to which Huge has 32 ft. Not a convenient number for battle grids, and completely irrelevant if your height is 50 ft. DM help needed.

Readied actions - can you react to stuff after a roll has been made or do you just "get out of the way"? 'cause I still had ~50' of movement left after the Bounding Assault was complete so it feels weird I can't simply use the remaining movement to follow, but that has to do with how you can time readied actions.
Yeah, maybe we need an official ruling for this. Basically, I saw the same reasoning in a previous fight, where the opponent readied an action to foil my attack, while I was using Flyby Attack. With a similar wording, he made me lose my attack action, and all I had left was the remaining of the move action - but only because Flyby Attack specifically allows you to take a standard action at any point during the movement. If I had moved and attacked, I wouldn't have any movement left, and that was my reasoning for foiling Bounding Assault.

It made sense to me at the time, and it still does, actually, but a DM ruling would be helpful.

Martial school weapons: How long does the increased bonus last? Do boosts trigger it? How long does it last with boosts? For example, if it lasts the turn after you've used the maneuver, I could've used Disrupting Blow to get bonuses to my Greater Divine Surge. If boosts activate it, I should obviously pick Quicksilver Motion over Shadow Blink. Sigh.
Umm... I don't think so. The wording "when the wielder is actually using a maneuver from the appropriate discipline", without any mention about "until end of turn" or something, indicates that it has to be simultaneously. A boost that lasts until the end of turn would work, a boost which is instantaneous wouldn't. And even if that's hazy, I can't possibly imagine how you can take bonus from a strike you are not using right now, but used earlier in the turn.

Immortal Fortitude: If I take damage and have Immortal Fortitude active and then lose so much Con that my life would go to negatives (such as with Rage ending or using Greater Divine Surge), do I get the Fort-save to be put to 1 instead of negatives?
I don't see why not, it works for "effects or attacks that reduce you to 0 or fewer hit points". My question is this. If you have nothing better to do with your swift action, can you switch from Immortal Fortitude to Immortal Fortitude? For example, if you've used it once or twice already, and want to renew it. Can someone switch to the same stance???

If I lose Con while Wildshaped, do I also lose HP? Technically my present Con doesn't affect my HP, but then again, it makes no sense that I wouldn't. Do I have a "Shadow Con" from my original form that takes all the new alterations too and is used to determine my HP or what.
...Another good question. I would have said "of course you lose HP", but the way you put it, I honestly have no idea.

Eldariel
2009-08-30, 09:08 PM
Rules, huh?

I've already made my case about that. :)

No idea, entirely up to DM ruling. The rules say that when flying creatures dive, this counts as a charge. They don't say if a flying creature can charge without diving. I'm pretty sure that there's somewhere a feat or ability that equates the two, which would imply that no, but bugger me if I remember what it was and where.

Lynd's ruling makes perfect sense.

Good question. For horizontal reach, DMG p.308 gives the relevant picture. And lost somewhere in the Jump (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/jump.htm) rules, you can find the vertical reach, according to which Huge has 32 ft. Not a convenient number for battle grids, and completely irrelevant if your height is 50 ft. DM help needed.

Yeah, maybe we need an official ruling for this. Basically, I saw the same reasoning in a previous fight, where the opponent readied an action to foil my attack, while I was using Flyby Attack. With a similar wording, he made me lose my attack action, and all I had left was the remaining of the move action - but only because Flyby Attack specifically allows you to take a standard action at any point during the movement. If I had moved and attacked, I wouldn't have any movement left, and that was my reasoning for foiling Bounding Assault.

It made sense to me at the time, and it still does, actually, but a DM ruling would be helpful.

Umm... I don't think so. The wording "when the wielder is actually using a maneuver from the appropriate discipline", without any mention about "until end of turn" or something, indicates that it has to be simultaneously. A boost that lasts until the end of turn would work, a boost which is instantaneous wouldn't. And even if that's hazy, I can't possibly imagine how you can take bonus from a strike you are not using right now, but used earlier in the turn.

I don't see why not, it works for "effects or attacks that reduce you to 0 or fewer hit points". My question is this. If you have nothing better to do with your swift action, can you switch from Immortal Fortitude to Immortal Fortitude? For example, if you've used it once or twice already, and want to renew it. Can someone switch to the same stance???

...Another good question. I would have said "of course you lose HP", but the way you put it, I honestly have no idea.

I think you might want to post your contribution in the Talkie-thread, 'cause that's probably where we'll get the DM rulings from (I already posted my entire questionnaire complete with Cloak of Major Displacement there).

For what it's worth, I mostly agree with you and do indeed have ideas for how I would rule all that stuff, but not being the DM, it isn't up to me.

Also, I'll have to check my saves - they're counted the "sane" way, that is, only adding the +2 once per save. Seems characters in this arena have added the +2 as many times as they've multiclassed. Fascinating; that would skyrocket my saves (at least Fort; it'd be like +8 to what it presently is, making Immortal Fortitude quite a bit more fearsome).

Lyndworm
2009-08-30, 11:47 PM
Match Finalized.

Eldariel/Alya Montane, Victor
Wins 1/Losses 0

Nefele/Moira 2.0, Victim
Wins 0/Losses 1

OOC:
Your questions have been answered in the Talkie Thread (I hope).