PDA

View Full Version : Last Airbender questions [4e]

drawingfreak
2009-08-29, 07:33 PM
So as a side project, I have been fiddling with an Avatar based 4e game.
I have all Benders under one class using different builds aligned with the different elements and working similar to the Psion.

Would you do it different? Also, how would you balance non-benders to the game? In the show, they were vastly under powered than the Benders.

Yodaman23
2009-08-29, 10:25 PM
I can't tell you anything about 4e but I am running an Avatar game based on the Heros system. It works great being that each character can create their moves and develop new ways to bend. I would suggest the Heros system if you can do it.

Not Five
2009-09-02, 05:23 AM
I'ad just build characters normally. No mechanical alteration required. With the current material, you can render a bender of any elemental distinction in any number of ways. I could build you fourteen completely distinct airbenders of seven different classes, and five times that for firebenders. Ditto earthbenders. Waterbenders might require a touch of damage type re-jiggering -- clerics dealing cold or force damage instead of fire or radiant, et cetera -- but nothing particularly strenuous, and shamans are perfectly good examples of waterbenders in Kitara's style (with the flask of water, you know) without any change.

(Want me to demonstrate? I've got spare time...)

Really, the great volume of brilliantly devised material already published for 4e is a huge draw to the system, and throwing it out to do all the work yourself seems astonishingly counterproductive.

Haven
2009-09-02, 05:59 AM
I saw a really good thread on this at rpgnet, let me see if I can dig it up.

Person_Man
2009-09-02, 09:43 AM
I'm a huge fan of the cartoon. I think a more open ended roleplaying game would better suit the world though. Benders can basically do anything they imagine to their element, within the confines of their training and emotional state. Confining them to At Will/Encounter/Daily powers seems a bit too restrictive to me. Maybe something based on Mage the Ascension or some similar Storyteller game would be more appropriate.

KaganMonk
2009-09-02, 11:54 AM
Drawing Freak - I wouldn't necessarily say they were underpowered to benders. Keep in mind the series focused on the most powerful of benders on both sides. You did see Soka's master as a great Swordmaster, and Azula's friends are incredible without bending. Even Soka becomes pretty good with a sword. I'd say just let them be balanced.

Person Man - Or you can look for the Avatar system they've developed here on GitP. Fairly open ended, at least from what I've seen.

Delwugor
2009-09-02, 12:02 PM
I would look at using the Ars Magica system for the bending. Just replace the Latin phrases with moves and gestures.