PDA

View Full Version : Choosing the right Tea?

Froogleyboy
2009-08-29, 08:36 PM
Okay, I have some money and I want to buy some Tea (not that nasty stuff in bags) and how do I choose the right tea for me?

Cyrano
2009-08-29, 08:47 PM
Find out what you like and drink it, obviously.:smallconfused:
Not entirely clear how anything more could be said in response.

Linkavitch
2009-08-29, 08:52 PM
One warning, though. If you're a Trekkie, just because Captain Picard likes Earl Grey doesn't mean it's good. It's an aquired taste you really have to work at.

Cyrano
2009-08-29, 08:56 PM
One warning, though. If you're a Trekkie, just because Captain Picard likes Earl Grey doesn't mean it's good. It's an aquired taste you really have to work at.

Untrue! I've adored Earl Grey all of the three times I've tasted it.

Mando Knight
2009-08-29, 08:58 PM
Untrue! I've adored Earl Grey all of the three times I've tasted it.

Indeed. If I weren't too lazy to boil water right now, I'd be having some myself.

Mushroom Ninja
2009-08-29, 08:59 PM
Two Words: Earl Grey.

Mando Knight
2009-08-29, 08:59 PM
Two Words: Earl Grey.

Actually, it's four:

Tea, Earl Grey. Hot.

Jack Squat
2009-08-29, 09:11 PM
I don't see what's wrong with just using Lipton *prepares to be smitten*

However, you really probably shouldn't go out and buy tea leaves without knowing first what you like. Find a place that sells tea (not necessarily a tea shop, though if you can find one, all the better) and try a few different ones out. Without knowing what you DO like, it's pretty hard to steer you in a direction.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-08-29, 09:13 PM
I'm pretty sure it's impossible to go wrong with T2 (http://www.t2tea.com.au/).
Unless you want a black tea and you pick a green tea, but that's unlikely if you're not daft.

THAC0
2009-08-29, 09:23 PM
I swear by stash teas.

xPANCAKEx
2009-08-29, 10:13 PM
green teas are great - just don't over brew them or they're bitter as hell

just go to coffeetea shops, try different things

rubakhin
2009-08-29, 10:40 PM
Listen.

Listen very carefully.

POUR BOILING WATER

OVER THE TEA.

BOILING WATER.

OVER THE TEA.

BOILING.

WATER.

OVER THE TEA.

It's not people who like tea being pedantic jerks, it's that certain properties in the tea aren't activated unless they're in water that's hit a certain temperature (very close to the boiling point). So the tea ends up being weak and half-brewed if you just pour vaguely hot water all over it. You've got to boil it, it's science, it's physics, it's chemistry, it's math, it's THE LAWS OF THE GODDAMN UNIVERSE. DO NOT VIOLATE THEM.

Please. *cough*

Also, try and put the milk in first, okay? If you pour milk into the hot tea it'll scald the milk and the flavor won't be as good.

However, the correct response to anyone telling you that you shouldn't take Earl Grey (or anything else, for that matter) with milk is: Screw you, I like it with milk. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A61345)

Also, try Russian tea. (http://home.fazekas.hu/~nagydani/rth/Russian-tea-HOWTO-v2.html) (Don't get put off by the zavarka comments, I've had even chifir and it's not going to kill you. Come on, it's tea.)

As for specific tea, I've never really cared much and my local grocery store doesn't carry a lot of brands. :smallmad: I pretty much just go with Twinings (usually loose). You should see if there's a cafe nearby, they'll carry a few different kinds of tea you wouldn't find in the grocery store usually. Generally good quality stuff.

Eon
2009-08-29, 10:42 PM
don't drink much tea besides lemon lipton iced tea but my favorite t is
T
hahaha i'm so not funny...

orchitect
2009-08-29, 10:44 PM

I drank almost ten cups a day while on vaction for two weeks in Europe. It is an aquired taste, but it is more easily aquired than others!

Coidzor
2009-08-29, 10:45 PM
Rooibos is nice.

A nice variety of Earl Grey is also always nice. If it's a bit strong, Lady Grey has that nice bergamot scent as well.

Sneak
2009-08-29, 10:50 PM
Oolong tea is good. So is masala. And jasmine.

Cyrano
2009-08-29, 11:24 PM
Snippity snip snip crazy cool Russian stuff etc.

Is Russian teaconcentrate really that dangerous or is the writer just hilarious? Or is it wrong that talking about teaconcentrate giving your guests a heart-attack seemed funny to me? Anyway, that actually sounds very intriguing and I may try that next opportunity I get.

Rooibos is nice.

A nice variety of Earl Grey is also always nice. If it's a bit strong, Lady Grey has that nice bergamot scent as well.

I find Rooibos nice and fruity in scent but somewhat insipid in taste. This is odd because Jasmine tea's primary selling point as far as I can tell is it's generally insipid-yet-perfumy nature and I love Jasmine tea.

EDIT: The above sentence doesn't actually make sense unless I point out that no, I don't like Rooibos very much.

_Zoot_
2009-08-29, 11:31 PM
Reading this put me in the mood for tea, so i made some.

And it was great!

Vaynor
2009-08-29, 11:52 PM
I like some teas, but amongst my favorites is Earl Gray. When that is in short supply I do enjoy a cup of chocolate tea (hot cocoa :smallbiggrin:).

dish
2009-08-30, 12:08 AM
To wake you up and keep you going through the day, try some Irish Breakfast tea. (English Breakfast is ok if the Irish can't be found.)

If you're feeling genteel, Earl Grey or Darjeeling can be nice.

Fruity or flowery teas like Jasmine can be nice and calming.

For a proper Chinese green tea, DH swears by TieKwanYin.

Froogleyboy
2009-08-30, 12:19 AM
Okay, I have decided that I want a sweet, smooth tea which will really "get me going" but nothing green

Cyrano
2009-08-30, 12:20 AM
Okay, I have decided that I want a sweet, smooth tea which will really "get me going" but nothing green

You could try, er, well-brewed black tea with milk and sugar?

Maybe I'm doing this wrong.

Ravens_cry
2009-08-30, 12:36 AM
Tea.
Boil the water. Very Important.
Heat the pot with a portion of said boiling water. Just As Important.
Put the bags/teaball/loose tea in pot. Especially Important.
Steep. Very, Very Important.
Put milk in cups. Rather Necessary.
Pour the Tea. Vitally Important.
Enjoy your hot leaf juice.
Optional: China Tea Cups, Silver Teapots, Cucumber Sandwiches, Cream, and Sugar.

rubakhin
2009-08-30, 12:37 AM
Is Russian teaconcentrate really that dangerous or is the writer just hilarious? Or is it wrong that talking about teaconcentrate giving your guests a heart-attack seemed funny to me? Anyway, that actually sounds very intriguing and I may try that next opportunity I get.

The tea extract which you hear about is basically just very, very, very strong and VERY bitter tea - seriously, by the time you get done with it, it's like, opaque - but I like how bitter and disgusting it is so sometimes I don't bother to dilute it and have a cuppa.

(You will almost definitely not like this yourself. I'm the kind of inexplicable idiot who likes coffee so thick it can pass as roofing tar and the mushroom clouds of dirt-cheap unfiltered cigarettes; bitter and strong is just my thing. :smallamused: So, I've had it and I'm not dead myself. Probably it's better if you err on the side of caution and dilute this, but I can't really wrap my head around the idea of it seriously hurting people.)

Also, no, the zavarka won't get you high. :smallbiggrin:

Milskidasith
2009-08-30, 01:01 AM
You know, I really don't drink much tea... but this thread makes it seem like I should.

Maybe I'm just a simple guy, but I'm perfectly fine with the hot/iced tea that my grandma makes. An overload of sugar combined with vaguely cold or scalding hot tea = delicious.

Liffguard
2009-08-30, 02:22 AM

Then you, sir, are a prime candidate for Masala Chai (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masala_chai#Spiced_tea) (sometimes just shortened to "chai).

Masala Chai can come in many different forms but at it's heart it is normal black tea flavoured with ginger and cinnamon. This tea is fantastic when sweetened with a bit of sugar but don't overdo it or you'll subdue the flavour. It's the flavour that really makes this tea. It's smooth and rich and spicy and is a perfect pick-me-up, especially on a cold day.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-08-30, 02:33 AM
I like Orange Pekoe, but, then again, I'll drink just about anything that may be a tea byproduct.
The Brits and Japanese would hate me for what I'm willing to drink and call tea :smalltongue:

Elfin
2009-08-30, 02:43 AM
If you want a sweet tea, then definitely try chai. Great stuff.
Irish/English Breakfast teas are great...personally, I like them black.
And, of course, Earl Grey. Delicious.

Trog
2009-08-30, 02:49 AM
Well usually I drink some organic green loose leaf tea from the local coop. I boil the water and then steep one cup at a time with a tea ball, usually. I need to pick up a decent teapot at some point here. I have my eye on this one (http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/Teavana/EPO%20WX%20FKP%20YEL_d?$tmb$) but it's way too spendy. Made by some family that has been making cast iron teapots for generations, apparently. Eeeeets puuuuuurty @.@

I recently purchased some Gyokuro Imperial Green Tea:
The finest of Japanese teas, Gyokuro bushes are covered for several weeks before harvest with bamboo or straw shades to increase the chlorophyll content of the leaves. The results of this transformation are the renowned dark green leaves with high concentrations of Antioxidants, vitamins and amino acids. Celebrated for its emerald green infusion and sweet aftertaste.
I've got to say that it makes my usual stuff taste like water infused with garden weeds its so good. Very tasty.

Also got some "Monkey Picked" Oolong Tea:
This is the ultimate oolong tea. When infused, the unbroken, evenly-sized leaves gracefully unfurl to reveal the most complex Oolong bouquet available. Its legendary name refers to Buddist monks who trained monkeys to harvest the youngest leaves from the top of the wild tea trees. Presently the term "Monkey Picked" refers to the highest quality of Oolong tea available. Made from the youngest tea leaves, this tea is perfect for multiple infusions. Also known as Ti Kuan Yin.
Also darn good but a bit too spendy to get it often, though it can be steeped multiple times I guess.

There's probably better stuff out there somewhere but I'm more than happy with this stuff. Got it from a store out near Boston. Buying some tea whilst visiting there seemed only appropriate somehow. :smallsmile:

Anyhow, I recommend trying out several kinds and finding out which kind of tea you like then research the brands of tea available in your favorite kind.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-30, 06:14 AM
Gray. Earl Gray.

What, actual advice? No, I have no idea.

Mauve Shirt
2009-08-30, 07:34 AM
My favorite tea is Chai. Yes know, Chai is just the word for "tea", but it's what's written on the packages of the spiced tea I like.
I also recommend Earl Gray.

Violet Octopus
2009-08-30, 09:08 AM
I'm no expert, but I have to second other people's advice about English Breakfast and Lady Grey. Not so fond of Earl Grey.

I'm currently obsessed with a herbal tea that's basically masala chai with dandelion instead of black tea. But it's bagged, so isn't as good as loose chai.

On another note, does anyone else get headaches from black tea? Perhaps I'm brewing it wrong? I'm not sensitive to caffeine though.

HellfireLover
2009-08-30, 09:44 AM
Chai or chilli chai is my current favourite, but a nice smooth-drinking everyday tea is Darjeeling Earl Grey (http://www.teapigs.co.uk/product/tea/Black-tea/darjeeling+earl+grey+tea). Actually, everything Teapigs is great. Their rooibos creme caramel is divine.

MissK
2009-09-01, 10:06 AM
@ Russian tea fans.

Try the Kousmichoff brand if you haven't already. The Prince Vladimir blend is my favorite, but I also like Zoubrovka (flavored with Polish Buffalo grass!).

Also, for green tea fans, try Primula tea. It's loose tea made into a ball that "blooms" in hot water revealing the flowers within. Great for dates, gifts and general showing off.

draca
2009-09-01, 10:23 AM
Here we have a tea shop called Teavana (http://www.teavana.com/)

They always have sample teas to try, hot and ready to go, as well as a full counter where they will make any of the teas they have for sale, just the way you like it.

I strongly suggest finding an equivalent in your area. Try some stuff.

I love Lady Grey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Grey_(tea))for light and sweet and getting me going. it's not as heavy and oily as Earl Grey which can sometimes upset my stomach.

I also highly recommend chai (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chai).

Any kind of sweet nifty tea latte works too. I recently got to try bubble tea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_tea)for the first time. This one is definatly something to seek out in a tea or coffie bar. I wouldn't trust my cooking skills and this doesn't sound like a quick cuppa.

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-01, 11:03 AM
While I myself know less han nothing about tea, it is one of gf's passions. And having read the thread she has suggested Keemun and Russian Caravan, especially from Whittards if you're English. never mind.

Edit: She also suggests that you basically try every tea to find the ones you like, but she's a true obsessive.

Froogleyboy
2009-09-01, 04:09 PM
Edit: She also suggests that you basically try every tea to find the ones you like, but she's a true obsessive.

I tried this and I like Earl Grey

babson99
2009-09-01, 04:35 PM
Have I got a company for you: Upton Tea Imports (http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/home.asp). They sell hundreds of different teas by mail order. They have pages and pages of information on types of tea, brewing methods, equipment, etc. My wife the tea junkie swears by them. Go to their site and be amazed.

Liriel
2009-09-01, 04:56 PM
http://www.adagio.com/

If you want, I can even email you a $5 gift certificate - just ask/PM. :smallsmile:

I'd suggest trying the sample sizes if you're unsure of what kinds you like.

Weezer
2009-09-01, 06:27 PM
I'm going with the "try everything to find what you like" group though personally my favorite, which seems rather popular, is Earl Grey.