PDA

View Full Version : items that boost will saves

awa
2009-08-30, 01:24 AM
I have a lousy will save i have three classes and a prestige class and will is a bad save for all of them so im level 7 with no modifier to will saves
other then my wisdom which isn't all that high. unfortunately do to circumstances beyond my control i also have very little gold, what would you suggest item wise to either boost my will saves or allow him to avoid making them.

Milskidasith
2009-08-30, 01:25 AM
Telling us what class you were and how much gold you have would make this a lot easier.

awa
2009-08-30, 01:32 AM
totemist, barbarian, ranger totem rager
Only 3000 and ideally id like to spend as little as possible i don't need a super high will save just not quite so terrible

Milskidasith
2009-08-30, 01:37 AM
Only 3000 gold at level 7? Your DM is shafting you badly.

Anyway, the best I an find is a cloak of resistance +1 for 1000 gold. +1 to all saves.

awa
2009-08-30, 01:41 AM
Most of my wealth is not in the form of gold. theirs no items that just boost will?

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-30, 01:45 AM
You could buy a custom item for 3000gp that gives +3 to will, a custom item for 1333gp that gives +2 to will, or a custom item for 333gp that gives +1 to will.

awa
2009-08-30, 01:47 AM
Where are the rules for custom items form?

Eldariel
2009-08-30, 01:52 AM
Get the Mindarmor [MiC] ability to your armor/shield. Costs 3000gp and gives you +5 to Will-save vs mind-affecting 3 times per day as an immediate action activation.

What you eventually want is a Crystal Mask of Mind Armor [MiC], which grants +4 INSIGHT bonus to Will-saves (key being, it stacks with Cloak of Resistance). It costs 10000gp though.

As a Barbarian, you probably could cover it all with just Steadfast Determination [PHBII] feat though.

daggaz
2009-08-30, 02:21 AM
Yeah, barbarians do well with steadfast determination, tho the prereq of endurance is kinda lame. You can pick that up with ranger 3 among other things, but meh that probably doesnt help you so much right now..

Dhavaer
2009-08-30, 02:57 AM
Where are the rules for custom items form?

The Dungeon Master's Guide. Also available from the SRD here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm)

Curmudgeon
2009-08-30, 03:38 AM
The Dungeon Master's Guide. Also available from the SRD here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm)
Note that these rules have been revised for some common enhancements. See Magic Item Compendium pages 233-234.

Yuki Akuma
2009-08-30, 04:36 AM
Might want to consider a Periapt of Wisdom if you ever get money to blow. I don't suggest getting one now, though - the +1 to Will saves wouldn't be worth the 2,000 gp.

However, it would stack with an item that grants a bonus to Will saves directly - because it doesn't give a bonus to Will saves directly.

You should also consider asking one of the casters in the party to prepare Owl's Wisdom for you. It lasts a while, and you get a +2 bonus to Will saves out of it.

Darkfire
2009-08-30, 06:54 AM
I know this is slightly off-subject but you might also want to ask your DM about adopting the fractional BAB/saves variant rules for multiclass characters (from Unearthed Arcana IIRC).

BAB = 1*full BAB class levels + 0.75*moderate BAB class levels (cleric, rogue, etc.) + 0.5*low BAB class levels (wizard, sorcerer, etc.)

Saves = standard from 1st-level + 0.5*subsequent class levels where this is 'good' save + 0.3(recurring)*subsequent class levels where this is 'poor' save

This should give you a minimum of +2 Will at 7th level which'll put you on the same level as a single class character with a 'poor' Will progression. Not the greatest boost but it won't cost you anything which is always a plus.

MichielHagen
2009-08-30, 06:59 AM
If you happen to have a high concentration, there is an item in ToB for 3000 gp if i remember correctly, that gives you acces to one Maneuver up to level 3. There is a maneuver that lets you use a concentration check instead of a will save.

elonin
2009-08-30, 07:29 AM
In this mic there is an armor crystal of mind cloaking (not sure of name exactly) that boosts your will save as something other than a resistance bonus against mind affecting which are most will effects.

SilveryCord
2009-08-30, 08:22 AM
Ideally, the best option would be to take the feat Martial Study to learn the Moment of Perfect Mind maneuver from Tome of Battle. You might even want to retrain a feat to get it; you can use it to replace a Will save with a Concentration check. You should have a very high Constitution score and even ranks in Concentration from the Totem Rager class.

Ironically, if you get Moment of Perfect Mind, entering a bloodthirsty frenzy of rage could actually make your mind an untouchable steel trap :)

Faleldir
2009-08-30, 08:39 AM
For all of you suggesting Moment Of Perfect Mind:

While raging, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function.

MichielHagen
2009-08-30, 09:44 AM

Details details :smalltongue:

(I only read first post and looked if the item was mentioned yet, my bad)

SilveryCord
2009-08-30, 11:08 AM
Details details :smalltongue:

(I only read first post and looked if the item was mentioned yet, my bad)
I only skimmed through the posts too, and when I saw 'item' in your post, I skipped it and thought I had a completely original idea >_> sorry.

Aww whatever. Anyway, at least cobalt rage grants you an essentia bonus to your rage. You just have to manage to rage all encounter :)