PDA

View Full Version : Virus!

Headless_Ninja
2009-08-30, 02:00 AM
Hi Playgrounders. I know nothing about computers, so I was hoping some of you could help with this issue. My PC has somehow picked up what my antivirus software (Sophos) refers to as a 'Delphi-A' Trojan. The sole effect of the virus sssms to be to cause any link I click on from Google (unless I choose to open it in a new tab in Firefox) to redirect me to one of several other search engines. And I have no idea how to be rid of it. The antivirus software knows it's there, and has it listed in quarantine, but will not allow me to take any action with it, stating either that a 'manual cleanup' is needed or that I have to run a full computer scan. Doing the latter does not seem to help, and I don't really know how to do the former.
So, good Playgrounders: any advice?

Keld Denar
2009-08-30, 03:09 AM
Surpringly, cursary google searches aren't very helpful. Something to try though, is download the bazooka (http://download.cnet.com/Bazooka-Adware-and-Spyware-Scanner/3000-8022_4-10247782.html?tag=mncol) program, run it (don't remove anything) and post the results on a tech support forum. Some of the people there can eyeball malicious registry keys and tell you which ones to remove. Then just do a regedit and either delete the keys they tell you to, or set their values to null or even just rename them to a dummy extension like .old. Unfortunately, I'm not good enough to tell you which, but that's something I've done in the past. Most of my googles searches that involve delphi and trojan teach you how to PROGRAM trojans in the Delphi programming language. Thats hardly what you want. Do the bazooka thing though.

Jack Squat
2009-08-30, 06:00 AM
Have you tried scanning while in Safe mode and seeing if it'll let you delete it then?

Another option is to write down the location and name of each file that pops up identified, go into safe mode, and delete ONLY those files. Most people I know suggest against this method, as some are normally in your sys32 folder, where if you delete something you weren't supposed to it can mess with your computer. However, I've had success with this method when my virus software won't let me/can't delete the program.

Flickerdart
2009-08-30, 07:59 AM
Download Avast! antivirus and run the boot-time scan. That will take care of all but the most diehard virus infections.

Trixie
2009-08-30, 12:32 PM
If you want nearly 99% success rate: download standalone, bootable antivir, burn it to CD, then boot your computer from it.

This way, you will escape the issues that are the most painful to deal with: virus hiding, virus in the protected/opened files, or virus restoring itself from backup or net.

Manual deletion of files is not recommended.

Jack Squat
2009-08-30, 03:29 PM
Manual deletion of files is not recommended.

I know...I did say that before I mentioned it. It does, however, work. The only problem with it is if you mess up, you mess up bad. I normally save it for right before I give up and just reformat the drive.

Headless_Ninja
2009-09-01, 03:38 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. So this Avast! thing is my best bet? And it's all legit etc?

Jack Squat
2009-09-01, 03:45 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. So this Avast! thing is my best bet? And it's all legit etc?

Yes and Yes. There are other options out there, but Avast does the job most of the time.

Headless_Ninja
2009-09-01, 03:56 PM
Shiny. Thanks!

MethosH
2009-09-01, 04:00 PM
If you are in a BIG trouble you should try HijackThis, but isn't really recommended for first time sailors.

Headless_Ninja
2009-09-03, 05:51 AM
Hi folks.
Ran the boot-time scan. It found three infected files, which have now been removed. The problem seems to be solved, although my original anti-virus software (Sophos) says the virus is still there? Not sure about that. The computer no longer has the symptoms, though.
A big thanks to all of you!

billtodamax
2009-09-03, 05:57 AM
That's probably bad. Are you completely sure that the virus is gone? Sophos might be picking up something Avast! isn't.

Avilan the Grey
2009-09-03, 06:01 AM
If I get a virus that my program can't catch, I do usually opt for manual deletion. It should be noted that I generally know what I am doing.

A sidenote and a tip: If you have the restore points activated in XP or Vista, the virus might be hidden in those.

Bouregard
2009-09-03, 07:43 AM
killbox.exe gets rid of "most" things But be carefully to not delete something Windows needs....

Headless_Ninja
2009-09-07, 07:14 AM
I'm clearly in waaaaay over my head here. Not sure what the best course of action is. Leave it? I'm not sure how I would go about manual deletion, even if it was the best choice.

Timberwolf
2009-09-07, 07:18 AM
If you're unsure about this stuff (and I feel your pain here) then my next sep would be to find the number of someone competent and if it means paying them then so be it.

Headless_Ninja
2009-09-09, 06:05 AM
Fair enough. That's what I'll do. Thanks for al your help folks!

Rutskarn
2009-09-10, 06:34 PM
Wait, you have a virus!

Gah! Get off the Playground! Go, go!

Oh geez, oh geez. Deep breaths. No! No, bad idea, there might be virus in the air I'm breathing right now!

I have to plug up my laptop vents with duct tape. It's the only way.

chiasaur11
2009-09-10, 07:19 PM
Wait, you have a virus!

Gah! Get off the Playground! Go, go!

Oh geez, oh geez. Deep breaths. No! No, bad idea, there might be virus in the air I'm breathing right now!

I have to plug up my laptop vents with duct tape. It's the only way.

No, use fire. Fire is the only cure.

It may singe your fingers when typing, sure, but it works.

Mando Knight
2009-09-10, 07:46 PM
No, use fire. Fire is the only cure.

It may singe your fingers when typing, sure, but it works.

If fire isn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough fire.

Mattarias, King.
2009-09-11, 01:41 AM
If fire isn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough fire.

EXCUSE ME SIR. I think that is the awesome quote I have seen on these forums. :smallbiggrin: Excuse me while I steal it loudly and with great temerity!

Also, to keep this on topic, OP, you know what they say, an pound of cure is worth less than an ounce of prevention. ..Or something like that. :smallsigh:

If you're still using windows firewall, I highly recommend getting COMODO Firewall. It's a piece of art, it is.

Ripped Shirt Kirk
2009-10-02, 10:56 PM
Is your other virus scanner picking up Avast! as a virus? Try uninstalling Avast! and see if it comes up again.

Headless_Ninja
2009-10-03, 10:32 AM
It's a bit of a moot point, as I'm now in a different country to the computer and it is (I think) being checked out by someone who knows what they're doing. Thanks for the help, though!

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-04, 07:32 PM
I'm having a virus issue myself now, and am going to try Avast! myself.

Where can you get it? A google search had 3 different "offical" sites, so 2 of them at least were probably viruses themselves. To those who have used Avast, where'd you get it from?

Jack Squat
2009-10-04, 07:49 PM
I'm having a virus issue myself now, and am going to try Avast! myself.

Where can you get it? A google search had 3 different "offical" sites, so 2 of them at least were probably viruses themselves. To those who have used Avast, where'd you get it from?

I'd try Avast's site (http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html) myself :smallwink: