PDA

View Full Version : P.E.A.C.H Earth, Wind, and Fire

Silverscale
2009-08-30, 02:51 AM
I've had an idea floating around in my head for a traveling group of musicians. I got the idea a while back when my friend and I were stating up characters for a campaign that never really got off the ground, whilst listening to "Devil went down to Georgia".

The characters were both Half-Elementals. Mine was a half Fire Elemental, and hers was a half Air Elemental. We thought it would be funny if we also had a half Earth Elemental in the group and we all took ranks in Perform, then we could go around calling ourselves Earth, Wind,, and Fire.

I'ld like to go ahead and stat out the characters. The problem is I'm not very good at homebrewing.

If anyone is willing to help me write up the stats and fluff for this NPC group, I'ld be grateful.

I have also since had the idea that the group could also have a half Water Elemental who travels with them acting much like an agent or front-man for the group while they travel around like gypsy's going from town to town performing for whoever wishes to listen to them.

One of the problems I'm having with the idea is whether it would be better for them to have levels in Bard, Rogue, Expert, or some combination of those of levels, or in some other class that would be appropriate to a group what travels around like gypsy's singing for their food as often as hunting for it.

Please tell me what you think of the idea and if you can think of anything that would make the idea even better.

Dragon Elite
2009-08-30, 10:20 AM
I don't know the half-elemental template, but a bard with ranks in sleight of hand would work.

Mongoose87
2009-08-30, 11:07 AM
Why did you think of Earth Wind and Fire when you were listening to Charlie Daniels? :smallconfused:

Silverscale
2009-08-30, 11:31 AM
Why did you think of Earth Wind and Fire when you were listening to Charlie Daniels? :smallconfused:

"Devil Went Down to Georgia" sparked the idea for my half fire elemental to play the violin. The idea to call the group Earth, Wind, and Fire came later as a funny/ironic idea.

Silverscale
2009-08-31, 11:54 AM
A friend of mine pointed me towards a book called "Bastards & Bloodlines a Guidebook to Half-breeds" which includes a section on Half-Elementals wiht 4 different templates, one for each of the elements of Air, Earth, Fire, and Water. I don't think it's the same templates we used when we were creating the characters in the first place, but they look cool and are the only ones I can find at the moment.:smallconfused:

Unfortunately the PDF seems to be a scanned copy of the book and I'm therefore unable to reproduce the important sections here with out first typing out the information into copyable text. :smallfrown:

When I get a chance I will put the 4 sections up in spoiler boxes for others to use.:smallamused:

Silverscale
2009-09-01, 12:25 PM
After much clicking back and forth between my PDF viewer and my word processor (and several ADD induced distractions), I finally managed to transcribe the Template for Half-Elementals (Air) so for your conviniance I have spoilered it below.

Creathing a Half-Elemental (Air)
Creating a Half-Elemental (Air)

“Half-Elemental (Air)” is a template that can be added to any corporeal creature (hereafter referred to as the “base creature”). It uses all the base creature's statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

AC: Natural Armor improves by +2

Speed: Gain a natural fly speed of 30ft with perfect maneuverability. If the base creature already has a faster fly move, it is retained and maneuverability is increased to perfect. Lose any natural burrow or swim speed.

Special Attacks: A half-elemental (air) retains all the special attacks of the base creature and gains those listed below.

Spell -like Abilities: Half-elementals (air) gain spell-like abilities based on their Hit-Dice as noted below. These abilities are usable once per day. They are as the spells cast by a sorcerer of the same level as the half-elemental's Hit-Dice.
Hit Dice Abilities
1-3 Obscuring Mist
4-5 Wind Wall
6-8 Gaseus Form
9-10 Air Walk
11-13 Control Winds
14-15 Chain Lightning
16-18 Control Weather
19+ Whirlwind

Spells: Half-elementals (air) with a Wisdom or Charisma score of at least 12 can cast spells as either a Bard or a Druid (but not both) of a level equal to one half of their HD. A half-elemental (air) may not cast any spell with the words earth, iron, stone, or metal in the name, regardless of the source of the spell.

Special Qualities: A half-elemental (air) retains all the special qualities of the base creature and gains Air Mastery as defined below.

Air Mastery (EX): A half-elemental (air) is always aided in small ways by the natural ebbs and flows of air around them. Airborne creatures suffer a -1 penalty to attack and damage rolls against a half-elemental (air).

Resilience (EX): Half-elementals (air) gain a +4 racial bonus to poison, sleep, paralysis, and stunning. Half-elementals (air) have a 25% chance of ignoring the result of any critical damage or sneak attacks, instead taking normal damage from such attacks.

Abilities: Change from the base creature as follows: Dex +4, Con +2

Skills: A half-elemental (air) gains skill points as it's base creature. Treat all skills from the base creature as class skills as well as Listen. If the half-elemental (air) has a class, it gains skill points for class level normally.
Feats: Half-elementals (air) gain Flyby attack as a bonus feat.

Organization: Solitary or Band 1-4

Challenge rating: +2

Level Adjustment: +4
I will get the rest up soon since it's only a matter of changing a few things rather than typing everything out again. :smallsmile:

Jane_Smith
2009-09-01, 12:38 PM
May i just suggest Genasi? Their basically subtypes of humans with elemental traits as tieflings and aasimars are subtypes of humans with demonic/angelic traits. You would not be "Half" blooded of a elemental, but, its close enough.

Silverscale
2009-09-01, 12:42 PM
May i just suggest Genasi? Their basically subtypes of humans with elemental traits as tieflings and aasimars are subtypes of humans with demonic/angelic traits. You would not be "Half" blooded of a elemental, but, its close enough.

Where can I find 3.x information on Genasi?

{EDIT}Never mind I found them in "The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting"......Hmmm these do seem to be what I'm looking for although I don't like the fact that they all have penalties to Charisma since I'm trying to make a group that travels around performing and entertaining which would be hampered by lowered Charisma.:smallannoyed:

Silverscale
2009-09-09, 02:02 PM
Finally after much consideration/deliberation, a fair amount of distractions and cursing at my roommate for not saving my work when he was on my computer.....here for your critique and comments is Earth, Wind, and Fire.
I've only had a chance to stat out one of the four characters but this should give you the idea and give enough to comment on.

Earth, Wind, and Fire

Earth, Wind, and Fire

Band of Genasi Entertainers
Earth,Wind, and Fire is a Genasi group of performers and entertainers who travel around from place to place entertaining as they go. Wistalia the Air Genasi plays a variety of wind instruments including a Longhorn, a Shaum, and a Glaur. Kemimar the Earth Genasi plays percussion instruments, most often an unusually large set of Hand Drums. Urwan the Fire Genasi plays string instruments, usually either the violin or the mandolin depending on his mood and what song they're playing. Solme' Falmar the Water Genasi is the leader of the group and acts as both Front-man and singer for Earth, Wind, and Fire. They usually attach them selves to one Halfling caravan or another as they travel from place to place for mutual protection and entertainment.
History:
The story of how these four came to even be traveling together in the first place, much less forming together into a the band they are today, changes depending on which one is telling the story and who's listening to them. What is agreed on is that they are a much loved source of entertaining song and story, occasionally requested into the halls of great lords who would have their music.
Since they often travel in the company of Halflings, they have adopted the use of a House-wagon. Built bigger than most, of course, for difference in size, and made so that the side folds down into a stage. There is room inside for their belongings and a bed for each. There is also a hearth for cooking and a table to sit at.
Wistalia:Wistalia:
Chaotic good, female air Genasi (Medium Native Outsider)
Rogue 3rd/Bard 4th
Hit Dice: 3d6 + 45d6 + 14 (44 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 19 (+4 Dex, +5 armor), touch 14, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+6
Attack: Rapier +9 melee (1d6+1d6+1, 18-20/x2), or Hand Crossbow +9 ranged (1d4+1d6, 19-20/x2)
Full Attack: Rapier +7 melee (1d6+1d6+1, 18-20/x2) and off-hand Dagger +9 melee (1d4+2, 19-20/x2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Sneak attack +2d6
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Levitate, Air Mastery, Breathless, evasion, native outsider traits, trap sense +1.
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +11, Will +7
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 17, Wis 14, Cha 19
Skills: Craft(Instrument) +13, Disable Device +11, Disguise +14, Knowledge History +7, Knowledge Local +9, Open Lock +12, Perform(Dance) +14, Perform(Wind Instrument) +17, Profession(Cook) +12, Sense Motive +12, Sleight of Hands +14, Use Magic Device +14Armor Check Penalty -1.
Feats: Nimble Fingers, Skill Focus (Perform Wind Instrument), Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Finesse.
Equipment: shocking rapier, +1 dagger, shock-burst hand crossbow,+2 studded leather armor, longhorn, shaum, glaur, wand of levitate.
Languages: Common, Halfling, Auran, Elvish
Appearance: The woman currently playing some sort of wind instrument looks like an elf at first glance but her light blue skin and her white hair that blows in an otherwise non-existent breeze tells of another heritage. Given her light, almost revealing, clothing, you'd pick her out as an Air Genasi.
Personality: With a quick tongue and a sharp wit, with nimble fingers to match, Wistalia can sometimes come off as stand-offish. However, once she gets to know you her heart is as warm as the hearth she cooks by.

Levitate(Sp): Air Genasi can use levitate once per day as cast by a 5th level sorcerer.
Air Mastery: Air Genasi have a +1 racial bonus on saving throws against air spells and effects. This bonus increases by +1 for every 5 levels the air genasi attains.
Breathless: Air Genasi do not breath, so they are immune to drowning, suffocation, and attacks that require inhalation (such as some types of poison).