PDA

View Full Version : Test of Spite Exhibition: Juris vs. imperialspectre Theurge on Theurge violence

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-30, 10:59 AM
Alrighty. How many buff rounds? Also, map?

imperialspectre
2009-08-30, 12:19 PM
3-5, your preference of how many rounds in that range.

I personally like this map:

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/4343/arena2i.gif

I'll start in the right-hand starting position (the red).

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-30, 11:03 PM
How about four rounds? Also, do you want to allow summons? And do you want to allow them in the buff rounds?

imperialspectre
2009-08-31, 12:01 AM
All RAW- and ToS-legal tactics are in. You can summon minions whenever you want.

Of course, I don't think it's legit for summons to begin attack actions during buffs. So for example, you can summon and deploy a small army of vrocks, but they can't start dancing until the fight starts.

Four buff rounds is fine by me.

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-31, 12:11 AM
Sounds good.

All day buffs:
Mage Armor, Endure Elements, Superior Resistance

Buff Rounds:
Round 1
Veil of Undeath

Round 2
Activate Psionic Tattoo of Greater Concealing Amorpha

Round 3
Read Scroll of Summon Monster IX

Caster Level Check: [roll0]

If successful, summon Hezrou demon on square L10

Round 4

Cast Eyes of the Oracle

Swift: Greater Mirror Image

Readied Action: If enemy moves within 40 feet of me, cast Blasphemy. Hezrou demon has the same instructions. Also ordered to report on enemy movements via telepathy.

Initiative: [roll1]

I'm in square B11.

imperialspectre
2009-08-31, 12:41 AM
What are your vision modes?

All-day (OO):

CL 11:
Magic Vestment
Undetectable Alignment
Protection from Good

CL 13:
Mage Armor
False Life - Temp HP [roll0]
Heart of Air
Anticipate Teleportation
Nondetection
Heart of Water
Overland Flight

Buff rounds (OO):
1: Standard: Arcane Spellsurge.
Move: Empty bag of 10 rats on the ground.
Swift: Mass Inflict Light Wounds

2: Swift: Consumptive Field. Temporary HP = [roll1] STR bonus = 20
Standard: DMM Maximized Streamers CL 16 (turn attempts remaining: 12)

3: Standard: Invisible Residually Maximized Streamers CL 19
Swift: Divine Power CL 16

4: Standard: DMM Maximized Streamers CL 16 (turn attempts remaining: 8)
Swift: Recitation CL 16

Total Number of Streamers: 10

Initiative: [roll2]

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-31, 12:48 AM
Normal vision only.

Yours?[Regardless, you will see a large, demonic figure on the broken bridge, square L10, unless you're blind.]

imperialspectre
2009-08-31, 12:59 AM
As of this turn, Normal and True Seeing. What do I see?

Spellcraft 20:
Streamers, True Seeing

OO:
Standard: Invisible Residual Maximized Streamers, CL 19
Swift: True Seeing
Move: To O11

You see a kobold with a quarterstaff and magically-armored robes, blinking rapidly in and out of the Material Plane. He casts a couple of spells with preternatural speed, then flies quickly forward to O11.

Knowledge (Planes) to ID the demon [roll0]

EDIT: 14 streamers fly up past the kobold to the demon. I forgot that they act when the enemy takes actions. My turn's over, absent any readied actions or anything like that.

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-31, 01:02 AM
It's a Hezrou.

How about two useful pieces of information on the Hezrou, since you beat the check by 5?

1: It's stinking aura causes nausea and is poisonous.
2: Damage reduction 10/good

However, the Hezrou has a readied action. When you get within 40 feet of it, it casts Blasphemy. Unless you are evil and/or have 14 or more HD, you are dazed and may be subject to other effects.

imperialspectre
2009-08-31, 01:03 AM
Thanks. As noted in the edit, 14 streamers fly up, past the kobold, to the demon. My turn is now over.

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-31, 01:04 AM
Sorry, read above for readied action. Do you still get the streamer spell off?

imperialspectre
2009-08-31, 01:06 AM
Immune.

The Hezrou's action provokes attacks from the streamers.

Touch attacks, each hit does 40 damage (assuming DR applies):
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-31, 01:08 AM
Does spell resistance apply to that spell? If yes, please roll.

Also Spellcraft roll to know what that spell is: [roll0]

imperialspectre
2009-08-31, 01:13 AM
You're able to figure out that the kobold had cast one copy of the Streamers spell during his last turn but you can't see those streamers; the visible ones must have been cast during the buffing period.

CL check to beat SR: [roll0] (streamers 1-3)
CL check to beat SR: [roll1] (streamers 4-6)
CL check to beat SR: [roll2] (streamers 7-10)

OO:
Last set of streamers fly up to the enemy in B11

EDIT: You are only able to see streamers 1-6; the last four and any others are invisible.

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-31, 01:19 AM
The Hezrou evaporates, recalled to the infinite abyss.

Across the river, you see a swirling mass of gray jello that occasionally looks humanoid.

Some words are muttered, and a shimmering sphere appears around the figure.

End turn unless something crazy happens.

imperialspectre
2009-08-31, 01:22 AM
A (much smaller) set of streamers attacks you as you cast the spell.

Touch attacks, ignoring DEX bonus because they're invisible and you're therefore flatfooted.
50 damage per hit, unless you have DR up. If so, reduce damage appropriately.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Also, Spellcraft [roll4] to ID the spell or spells cast.

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-31, 01:24 AM
Can the streamers interrupt my spell? If not, they'll crash directly into a resillient sphere. If yes, then the two higher rolls are hits, but please roll for concealment. 50/50 shot of missing.

EDIT: I'm a bit confused about the Streamers. They're supposed to use your BAB but you rolled them at +16.

imperialspectre
2009-08-31, 01:26 AM
Any action that you take provokes the streamer attack, which is resolved prior to the action much like an attack of opportunity.

Concealment 1 (1 hits) [roll0]
Concealment 2 (1 hits) [roll1]

How large is the resilient sphere?

EDIT: I'm sorry, you're right. When within 30 feet of the kobold, they're also affected by Recitation; however, the streamers attacking you are not within 30 feet of him. Subtract 3 from the attack rolls.

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-31, 01:30 AM
The sphere is 5' wide. Looks like all the streamers miss.

Readied Action: If the sphere is destroyed, targeted dispel magic on the kobold.

Your action.

imperialspectre
2009-08-31, 01:33 AM
Quick question: it looks, according to the Resilient Sphere text, like a disintegrate would auto-disrupt the sphere. Would an attack roll be necessary? If so, what would you say the AC should be?

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-31, 01:35 AM
AC 5? Just don't botch.

imperialspectre
2009-08-31, 01:40 AM
Heh, okay.

Since you're going to auto-ID all of my spells anyway:

Invisible Disintegrate [roll0]

The kobold's claws and teeth lengthen, and he takes on a ferally feline look (Bite of the Weretiger) as he approaches (E11). You can see a holy symbol around his neck, glowing with a dark red light. "Only now do you perceive the true power of the Ruby Sorceress," he shouts, his voice gravelly but full of draconic might. At a wave of his clawed hand, your resilient sphere is disrupted, and the streamers that felled the hezrou now rush to surround you.

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-31, 01:44 AM
Wait, the streamers stick around? That's madness! Changes a few things... I counterspell the disintegrate via a ring of spell battle.

Is it my turn?

imperialspectre
2009-08-31, 01:45 AM
Yes, but in that case I don't do the Bite of the Weretiger. Instead, I cast a second Disintegrate. [roll0]

EDIT: Good grief. Well, the delaying tactic worked for you. :smalltongue:

EDIT2: And yes, the streamers last for 1 round/level. One of the best damage spells in the game.

EDIT3: Sorry, missed your edit. Yes, it's your turn.

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-31, 01:49 AM
Only by incredible luck am I able to survive your barage of actions!

Ok.

The concealed mass quivers and vanishes from normal sight. Your trueseeing reveals that he has shifted to the ethereal plane.

Cast true seeing.

What do I see?

imperialspectre
2009-08-31, 01:54 AM
The kobold is spending roughly half of his time on the ethereal plane, what with the blinking. None of the streamers exist on the ethereal plane.

Is that the end of your turn?

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-31, 01:56 AM
Take out the scroll of Sublime Revelry. Ready an action to counterspell.

Your turn.

imperialspectre
2009-08-31, 02:02 AM
Dispel Magic on the Resilient Sphere. A targeted dispel appears to auto-disrupt the sphere.

If you counter the Dispel, I cast another.

If you don't counter it, I cast Spell Theft on you.

Let me know. :smallsmile:

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-31, 02:03 AM
I don't counter the dispel magic, but I do counter the spell theft.

caster level check [roll0]

EDIT: What square are you on now?

imperialspectre
2009-08-31, 02:06 AM
Opposed CL check: [roll0]

If I win the CL check, please list your currently-active buffs, along with the DC of the CL check to dispel/steal them. I'll post a set of rolls and we'll resolve them right down the line.

Also, the streamers surround your Material Plane location, even though you're currently ethereal.

EDIT: Still on E11.

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-31, 02:10 AM
What book is spell theft in? I'd like to read the description. Also, I believe there's a chance your spell will fail due to the blink, unless you have a way around that.

imperialspectre
2009-08-31, 02:12 AM
Complete Scoundrel, 104.

EDIT: It's Greater Blink (Spell Compendium, 32). It never interferes with my own spells or attacks.

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-31, 02:12 AM
And the blink?

imperialspectre
2009-08-31, 02:14 AM
Sorry for the game of edit tag. It's Greater Blink (Spell Compendium, 32). It never interferes with my own spells or attacks.

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-31, 02:14 AM
Spells Active:

Swift Etherealness
Concealing Amorpha
True Seeing
Veil of Undeath

The DC to steal them will be 23

imperialspectre
2009-08-31, 02:18 AM
Swift Etherealness [roll0]
Concealing Amorpha [roll1]
True Seeing [roll2]
Veil of Undeath [roll3]

Heh, the one spell I really wanted to take away is still there. Oh well, it's gone after the end of your turn.

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-31, 02:19 AM
Yeesh. My turn?

imperialspectre
2009-08-31, 02:20 AM
Yes, it's your turn.

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-31, 02:23 AM
With the Concealing Amporpha gone, you see a tall, bald man in gray robes, shimmering on the Ethereal plane. He looks very worried. In his hand is a scroll. He reads from it.

[roll0]

Regardless of the result, cast swift etherealness just before end of turn. Move 40 feet downward into the ground.

Your turn.

EDIT: What do the streamers do when I go subterranean? I assume they can't burrow.

imperialspectre
2009-08-31, 02:26 AM
The kobold grinds his teeth together and casts a pair of spells. His claws and teeth lengthen, and ethereal jaws leap at you and attempt to rend you apart.

Bite of the Weretiger, DMM Maximized Manyjaws.

Take 60 damage, Reflex 22 for half.

EDIT: Before you ask, Manyjaws has the [Force] descriptor and therefore doesn't care about etherealness.

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-31, 02:28 AM
You don't have line of sight or line of effect to me. I am 40 feet under ground.

Also, what do the streamers do when I'm underground?

imperialspectre
2009-08-31, 02:30 AM
Oh, my bad. Missed that part.

You can't see the streamers, so you can't tell what they're doing.

In that case, no Manyjaws.

OO:
After the Bite of the Weretiger, standard action is readied to cast Manyjaws if he comes back up from underground

Your turn.

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-31, 02:40 AM
Dimension door to z1, still 5 feet underground. Swift etherealness.

FYI: I cast dimension door, but you don't know that, nor do you know where I went with it.

Your turn.

imperialspectre
2009-08-31, 02:54 AM
(OO)
Swift: Greater Invisibility on myself
Move: Up 20 feet
Standard: Ready an action to cast Manyjaws on the old guy if he pops up

It's your turn. I need to go to bed now, but I'll be back tomorrow. Thanks for the match so far; it's been fun.

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-31, 02:55 AM
I should have been in bed hours ago. It's been fun for me as well, even though I'm getting my face stomped. I'd love to know how you're getting two standard actions a turn every turn!

Dimension Door 810 feet strait up. Swift Etherealness ends and I begin falling at 60 ft./round.

imperialspectre
2009-08-31, 11:13 AM
Okay, you're gonna hate me. Where are you? More specifically, where is the gray robe that you were wearing when I last saw you?

Turn isn't quite over.

Swift action: Locate Object: the robe that the old guy was wearing.

And yes, I'll tell you how I'm getting two spells per round after the match. This build is probably the best PvP build I've done for ToS (so, y'know, the best PvP build I've ever done).

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-31, 11:19 AM
Wait, you said it was my turn in your last post. Whose turn is it and whose turn are you interrupting?

imperialspectre
2009-08-31, 12:02 PM
I assumed that the spoilered text was your turn. If that's not all, then my apologies, and you can finish your turn.

Oh, btw, if you try to dimension door to a location within 100 feet of my character, I know where you are, and your arrival is delayed by a round.

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-31, 12:04 PM
Ah, OK. No problem.

The gray robes are about 810 feet above square z1... and falling. Neither of the two dimension doors I cast were within 100 feet.

imperialspectre
2009-08-31, 12:34 PM
Sweet. Let me know as they move. Are they in free-fall, or at the 60 ft/rd of a Feather Fall?

OO:
Ray Deflection on Self

Your turn.

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-31, 12:37 PM
Falling Slowly.

Cast Resilient Sphere, targeting myself. Altitude:700 feet. I am out of range for streamers, so I don't think that's an issue.

Anything to add, or should I move on with my turn?

imperialspectre
2009-08-31, 12:41 PM
No problem. Finish your turn.

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-31, 12:43 PM
I take out a scroll Evil Glare

End Turn.

[What do I see? Normal Vision.]

imperialspectre
2009-08-31, 12:54 PM
Well, to be honest, the reason I broke out the Locate Object was that I figured you'd be out of visual range. The penalty to Spot checks for being 800+ feet away is pretty huge.

Also, the kobold is invisible, but now close enough to see you and attack the sphere. I don't know if you can counter a casting of Dispel Magic on the Resilient Sphere if you can't see the caster. Do you counter it or anything?

Dimension Door to square Z2, equal altitude of the enemy.
Dispel Magic on Resilient Sphere
Move action to sling quarterstaff. Claw/claw/bite time.

Your turn, if the Dispel Magic isn't countered.

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-31, 12:56 PM
I do not counter it, however I should mention that this one is 10 feet wide. I start falling again, spellcasting as I featherfall downward.

Swift Action: Touch of the Blackened Soul.

Cast See Invisibility

Altitude: 640 Feet.

See Invisibility is up.

What do I see?

Also, your turn.

imperialspectre
2009-08-31, 01:26 PM
Spellcraft to ID the spells: [roll0]

The kobold is in square Z2, at the altitude that you were at last round (700 feet?)

DMM Maximized Streamers (4 copies, move to your location), then CHAAARGE! (slashing a claw at you as he comes within range)

Attack roll: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Will saves for the rats - only nat 20s matter - sorry I missed this part, Claudius
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-31, 01:30 PM
Spellcraft: See Invisibility and Touch of the Blackened Soul.

You hit with your claw attack.

I fall another 60 feet then cast a targeted dispel magic on you. Let's resolve the streamers before we resolve the dispel.

Altitude: 580 feet.

Also: Shouldn't that be 3 streamers? I thought your caster level was 16.

Also Also: Third eye: Dampening reduces the damage of the streamers to the minimum, so 5 damage per streamer instead of 50.

imperialspectre
2009-08-31, 01:36 PM
Favored Soul CL is 16, Sorcerer CL is 19. This particular casting is using Southern Magician to count the Sorcerer Streamers as divine, then applying DMM (this is what happens when I run out of FS slots). This is why some of the Streamer castings had only 3, and some had 4 (those were just Residual Magic on the sorcerer spells; the extra trick is necessary in this case, though).

Touch attacks, 50 damage per hit:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

EDIT: I might as well note that I'm going to use an immediate action to cast Wings of Cover, breaking LoE for the GDM.

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-31, 01:38 PM
Only the first hits, and its damage is reduced to 1 thanks to Third Eye Dampening.

Please list all your active buffs and their caster levels. The ones that you took from me are all caster level 12 except for Concealing Amorpha which was caster level 5.

EDIT: You can't cast wings of cover, you used your swift action to cast Streamers and your swift action takes up your immediate action.

imperialspectre
2009-08-31, 01:41 PM
You'd normally be correct, except that it is no longer my turn. Therefore, I can take an immediate action and lose the swift action from my next turn.

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-31, 01:42 PM
OK. Your turn then.

imperialspectre
2009-08-31, 02:06 PM
Charge!

Claw 1: [roll0]
Claw 1 confirmation: [roll1]
Claw 1 damage: [roll2]

Streamers follow.

EDIT: You probably know this, but I'm referring only to the 4 from the most recent casting; the others winked out when I dimension doored up here.

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-31, 02:09 PM
You hit again!

I fall another 60 feet and dispel magic on you again.

Altitude: 520

imperialspectre
2009-08-31, 04:14 PM
Hehehehe. Wings of Cover.

(OOC, I'm a SAD spontaneous caster with Versatile Spellcaster...you will run out of dispels before I run out of 2nd-level spell slots. However, you're keeping me from using my swift actions, so I suppose it balances out.)

Streamers attack when you cast. Touch attacks, 50 damage per hit.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5] (Sorry, cancel this last, hit ctrl+v once too often)

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-31, 04:35 PM
Your turn.

imperialspectre
2009-08-31, 04:47 PM
How many of the Streamers hit? I'd think...3?

The kobold draws his quarterstaff again and moves down to your location, but doesn't have time to attack. Continuing to fall, however, will provoke an attack of opportunity.

Power Attack for 5

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-31, 04:48 PM
Yeah, three hit, but they're dampened down to 1 damage.

I continue to fall, another 60 feet.

Area dispel magic, centered on you.

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-31, 04:57 PM
[roll0] Dispel Check for ongoing spell effects on creatures (i.e. you)

[roll1] Dispel Check for area effects (i.e. streamers)

imperialspectre
2009-08-31, 05:00 PM
Attack of opportunity: [roll0]
AoO confirmation: [roll1]
AoO damage: [roll2]

The kobold may be a little guy, but he hits like a truck.

Also, the streamers go off, and are not dampened this time (the item only works 1/day, until the end of the user's "next turn," which was last round). Touch attacks, 50 damage/hit.
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

EDIT: Assuming you survive the 2x crit from the AoO and the Streamers hit, you successfully dispel the Streamers and my Arcane Spellsurge. This makes the kobold angry. Kobold smash!

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-31, 05:06 PM
I disagree with your interpretation of the dampening effect. I activated it in response to the spell, and the effect (streamer damage) is dampened by it. Just because the streamers get to attack more than once doesn't mean their effect is no longer dampened. The dampening effect only lasts one turn, but it only needs to last one turn to dampen the streamers, because it affects a spell cast, not the objects it summons.

An example: If you cast summon monster to get d3 demons, and rolled a 3, and I dampened it down to one demon, you wouldn't get the extra two demons on the next turn. (And yes, I know the third eye couldn't dampen that spell, but it's the first example I could think of.)

Also, I do survive the critical hit. So I'm still alive... for now. Unless a DM overrules the dampen, in which case that last streamer kills me.

Your turn.

imperialspectre
2009-08-31, 05:25 PM
I'll accept that interpretation.

However, was the dispel a standard Dispel Magic or a Greater Dispel Magic? If the former, your CL bonus to dispelling caps at +10. That drops your check down to the point where the highest effect you can take out on the kobold is the stolen Concealing Amorpha, and the Streamers don't go away at all. However, since the Streamers are only doing 1 point of damage per hit anyway, they're not going to matter.

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-01, 09:40 AM
Oh, you're right about the dispels- sorry. Also, I realized the streamers should be dealing 5 damage each, not 1, so they actually do matter a little.

However, I do have a dispelling cord which brings it up to +12. Does that help?

And it's your turn again.

EDIT: What's your manueverability rating? If it's average then I don't think you can dive this way. Half of your move each round needs to be forward, which also precludes you from charging downward. If I'm right, you should be falling right now.

imperialspectre
2009-09-01, 11:48 AM
My maneuverability is average, but according to the table here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm#tacticalAerialMovement), a creature with average maneuverability can move downward at any angle, at a speed up to double normal base speed. Since my normal flight speed is 50, flying down 60 feet to keep up with you is no problem at all.

The lowest CL of any of my own effects is 11, which means that the best your dispel can do is still the Concealing Amorpha.

If it makes you feel better, your defense has been adept (to say the least) - I'm fairly certain you're running out of high-level resources, but so is the kobold and he's starting to worry a little bit.

He casts DMM Maximized Streamers for the last time (16 Turn Undead attempts and he still runs out!), flies down, and attacks you with his quarterstaff.

Attack: [roll0]
Confirm: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-01, 11:51 AM
Still kicking, though just barely.

Ready an action: area dispel magic if the streamers attack me. Try ot catch the Kobold in the dispel if possible.

I'll suppress my featherfall and plummet 150 feet.

End turn.

Altitude: 310 Feet.

imperialspectre
2009-09-01, 12:11 PM
Streamers attack.

Group 1, touch attacks, 5 damage/hit:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Group 2, touch attacks, 50 damage/hit:
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-01, 12:13 PM
My readied action was to dispel the streamers and catch you in the effect if possible, so here it goes:

Area Dispel Checks:

You: [roll0]
Streamers: [roll1]

+2 for the dispel cord factored in.

Erk! I fail and get annihilated by the streamers. Game over, I plummet to the earth for overkill. That was quite epic.

imperialspectre
2009-09-01, 12:18 PM
Good game. I have a really strong feeling that Streamers is up for a nerf after this one. :smallsmile:

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-01, 12:20 PM
I hope so! Arcane Spellsurge could use a beatdown with the nerf stick too, IMO

imperialspectre
2009-09-01, 01:13 PM
Arcane Spellsurge by itself is pretty reasonable, as any optimized caster at that level can get two spells per round (seriously, all of my wizards have ways to do that, and if I were going to go for a cleric or archivist build they'd get two spells per round too). It really just gets rid of one of the huge disadvantages of being a spontaneous caster, the utterly idiotic idea that you can't Quicken spells. While it does let you turn high-level spells into swift actions, that's possible with a multitude of metamagic cost payment methods and trades off with things like immediate-action defenses.

Streamers, on the other hand, needs to have its use clarified and probably needs to be nerfed in duration. Reducing it to 3 rounds and possibly requiring concentration (like Manyjaws) would make it powerful (since you're spending the equivalent of a readied action, but it triggers on ANY action your opponent takes and does significant damage), but not so powerful that it's basically a game winner.