PDA

View Full Version : High Seas Exploration

Perducci
2009-08-30, 03:04 PM
It's been three weeks since The Good Lady left her home in Liberty. Captain Creststrider and crew have just successfully delivered 10 tons of prime Freeland crops to an outpost just south of Cissac. The Dwarves always pay well for a good hearty meal.

The ship did have a delay though. A large storm passing through the area forced The Good Lady to take shelter in the ports of Freewater for several days. Ole Lel was in an excellent mood though and treated the crew to a good time. It was in his words, " a little all-expenses improvised vacation."

The night after getting back on the open seas, the goblin on watch alerts the crew(excepting the Captain-he's given orders not to be bothered tonight. Recovering from their "vacation"). The ship's officers(the PCs) arrive to his location first. He throws a snappy salute and points off to the south. In the distance, you sea streaks of red light periodically flying in great arcs through the night sky. See there, sah. It be like a fire jumpin' out and into the watah. What do yah make of it?

Sucrose
2009-08-30, 03:17 PM
Maenon peers over the railing, hoping to get a better look. When asked for instruction, he turns and waits for the others' input, but the calm, slightly eager smile on his face suggests that he wants to investigate.
[roll0]

Ragnoth
2009-08-30, 03:25 PM
Aranion Gazes over the vast expanse of water leaning slightly over the edge of the boat trying to get a better look, eventually he leans back and stands in silence with a thoughtful look upon his face trying to remember anything he may know about this event.

Knowledge (nature) [roll0]

Perducci
2009-08-30, 03:29 PM
By the dim starlight, Maenon can make out a ship's outline in the distance. Well, it might be a ship. He can't clearly make out anything at this distance, but estimates the range to be at around 3000ft. You don't get to shoot the big guns if you can't tell how far away things are well.

Ricroar's knowledge of the natural world fails to help him now. Either this isn't a natural event, or it is a very strange one indeed.

Ragnoth
2009-08-30, 03:38 PM
Well whatever it is i have never seen or heard anything about it, this is either caused by unatural means or it's a very rare occurance. as he says this he leans forward over the ship again. Whatever it is, it doesn't look good. he pauses then turns to look at the others. Anyone else have any clue to what this is?

Sucrose
2009-08-30, 03:38 PM
Maenon shrugs.

"Think there's a ship; three thousand feet."

He doesn't seem particularly deterred by that.

Ragnoth
2009-08-30, 03:44 PM
Aranion takes another look. This is very unusual, we should proceed with caution, if it gets too close warn the captain, otherwise I think we should continue moving we have already been delayed enough as it is. With this he heads back towards the helm of the ship.

Killsauce
2009-08-30, 05:25 PM
Perhaps says Angus The red lights are a warning flare of some kind. Or perhaps it be a celebratory thing, like fireworks. Let me think.

[spoiler]
bardic knowledge(to think of festivals or the like) [roll0]
Knowledge history(if it's more appropriate for this check) [roll1]
Profession Sailor(in case it's a flare) [roll2]

wxdruid
2009-08-30, 05:47 PM
Gwen

Gwen joins the rest of the crew at the rail. She's dressed in loose sailer's garb and her long hair is braided and hangs down her back. She peers at the far off spectacle, trying to estimate how far off it is. She tries to remember if she's seen anything like it before.

Knowledge (nature) [roll0]

She scratches her head as she watches for a while, trying to determine if it's coming closer or not, It is interesting... Hopefully it doesn't come this way, I don't think that would be pleasant.

Perducci
2009-08-30, 05:48 PM
Angus's can think of two things the light would most likely be. It could be a shipboard celebration or a distress signal. However, it would be odd to be celebrating on these waters. Most do that kind of thing closer to home port.

Ragnoth
2009-08-30, 05:52 PM
Still making his way towards the helm Aranion calls back as I have already said even if it is a flare of some type we have no time to waste, unless you are absolutely sure it is a flare we need to keep going

Sucrose
2009-08-30, 06:13 PM
Maenon uses his practiced sailor's eye to determine whether or not those are truly flares.

[roll0]
[roll1]

If indeed they are, then
his eyes widen, and he turns to the others, and says,
"Angus is right; signal flare. We need to help."

Perducci
2009-08-30, 06:56 PM
Maenon does indeed recognize the flares. Another ship is in trouble. At this distance in the dark, it is impossible to tell what the problem is though.

Since Maenon has been around for a while and is arguably one of the best sailors onboard, the crew reacts instantly to his words. Everyone runs about to their positions and lights a few lanterns to reveal the way. The goblin aboard looks to Aranion expectantly...he is the pilot and is back at the helm. He asks Maenon whether or not the captain should be called from his quarters.

wxdruid
2009-08-30, 07:00 PM
Gwen

She had been thinking of something completely different than signal flares. But when Maenon says they need to help, she nods, Of course, and she checks to be sure she has everything, to include her scimitar and healer's kit.

Sucrose
2009-08-30, 07:02 PM
Maenon nods to the goblin, a look of steely determination entering his eyes.

"Important enough; tell him to take it up with me."

He continues to look into the gloom, trying to figure out what the cause of the other ship's distress could be. If it looks like something large that has to be fought off, he heads belowdecks to the cannons.
[roll0]

Ragnoth
2009-08-30, 07:06 PM
Aranion sighs then grabs the wheel and makes a quick turn in the direction of the signaling ship okay men let's get this ship moving.

proffesion (sailor) [roll0]

Perducci
2009-08-30, 07:34 PM
With the crew making haste, The Good Lady sails unfurl and catch every bit of the wind they can. It's amazing how the ship seems to glide effortlessly upon the water. The goblin runs off and comes back moments later with a half dressed Captain Creststrider behind him. He's wearing only his pants and his hat. A flopping cutlass dangles about his hips.

By the time the Captain makes it on the deck, the distance has closed to around 1000 feet. Lel can clearly make out the ship now, as can Maenon. The rigging is torn to bits. Probably caught out in that storm. As the distance closes to around 250 feet, the captain begins to bark out orders in earnest. He commands the crew to slow her down and tells Aranion to pull alongside. A lone human stands upon the deck and falls to his knees. He calls out a faint, "Bless you!" and then collapses.

The ship you've come abroadside is a keelboat...more of a raft than a sailing vessel. The Cap'n begins to curse out of frustration...he notes the Freeland flag, sun over fields. Blasted raftsmen...should have known better than to bring 'er out on the open water like this. When I find the commanding officer of this vessel, I'll beat him to an inch of his life and see to it that he's stripped of his post. The two ships come together with a clattering series of thuds. The deckhands make themselves useful as Captain Crestrider leaps aboard the battered ship. You men see to the ships. Keep a weather eye out. I'm going below decks to see about the rest of the crew. My officers will attend to our mate here. You get the jist that he wants you to get the man back in shape...at least well enough that Lel can grill him something fierce about what happened.

Sucrose
2009-08-30, 08:00 PM
Maenon runs back to his bunk, and comes back up with a coil of silk rope. He ties one end firmly to The Good Lady's railing, then looks expectantly to Gwen, who he knows to be substantially better at healing than him.

Take 10 to tie a firm knot.

wxdruid
2009-08-31, 12:59 AM
Gwen

Gwen carefully makes her way over the battered vessel. She checks on the collapsed man, Heal Check [roll0], to see what's happened to him and if he requires a healing spell.

Ragnoth
2009-08-31, 06:17 AM
Aranion stays at the helm, a look of annoyance on his face. he then moves to the back of the ship at takes a look around to see if anything else is nearby that could pose a threat.

Spot Check [roll0]

Killsauce
2009-08-31, 03:21 PM
Angus keeps a watchful eye out for any inclement weather.

Profession sailor[roll0]

(OOC)If knowledge nature would be more appropriate, is it ok if I change my knowledge nobility royalty, since the other one would be more fitting of my weather oriented post?

Perducci
2009-08-31, 04:08 PM
Angus, Aranion and Maenon along with the rest of the crew still about the wingship keep a sharp eye out for possible dangers, but can see nothing happening around the pair of ships. It's a quiet night and the sea is calm. A light breeze blows over the decks and occassionally brings a light mist of sea water onto the decks.

Gwen's heal check keeps the man's condition from getting any worse. His wrists and ankles have what appears to be rope burns on them. There is also a puncture wound in his neck from which trickles a few drops of blood. The man is dressed in simple brown pants and a dingy vest. He appears to have been in rough shape for quite some time now. He raises on arm weakly toward Gwen. Water...please master.

The hatchway leading below decks was left open by the Captain. From it comes a bloodcurdling YIYIYIYIIIII!!!! and some crashing sounds. Three men wearing dark red clothing and hooded cloaks leap from below brandishing scimitars. The distance between them and Gwen upon the keelboat is roughly 20 feet of cluttered deck.

(OOC-Killsauce...yes feel free to swap that.

Also...roll initiative)

Ragnoth
2009-08-31, 04:19 PM
Aranion jumps into action as soon as the three men appear and draws his bow.

sorry something went wrong with the roll when I edited my name but can't remeber what the original roll was so rolled again
initiative (1d20+3)[17]

Sucrose
2009-08-31, 06:25 PM
Maenon swings over the railing, landing in a stance that almost looks like a dancer's. He moves without hesitation over the cluttered deck, failing to trip over anything. As he approaches the three obviously violent men, he draws his own scimitar, holds it in both hands, and slashes down on the nearest one. As he follows through, he takes a hand off of his blade, to invite the others to strike at him.

Swift Action: Activate Step of the Wind stance
Move Action: Approach the three enemies
Standard Action: Use the Stone Bones maneuver. If he hits with it, then the momentum shift will allow him to enter a strong defensive stance, permitting partial parrying of most of his opponents' attacks against him (DR 5/adamantine).
[roll0]
[roll1]
The attack roll is two points higher if his target is presently being slowed by difficult terrain.

Killsauce
2009-08-31, 06:34 PM
Angus grabs his heavy crossbow and braces it against the railing of the Good Lady. He draws a bead and prepares to fire at the enemy closest to Gwen.

Attack roll [roll0]
Damage roll [roll1]
initiative [roll2]

wxdruid
2009-08-31, 06:52 PM
Gwen

When she inspects the poor man, what she sees alarms her and when she hears the yell from below, her fears are confirmed. She gets out one of her healing potions from her bag and gives it to him. She hastily stands and draws her scimitar, ready to meet the enemy in front of her.

Init: [roll0]

Perducci
2009-08-31, 07:05 PM
The men in red seem to take a moment to take in all of their surroundings. One begins to move toward Gwen as a bolt from Angus's crossbow zips by him. He hop-steps over the broken rigging upon the deck and takes a swing at her with his scimitar. The blow is easily parried by Gwen, but the force of the blades meeting stings her hand.

Maenon makes his way over toward the hatchway that the men appeared from and neatly slices one from shoulder to hip. Blood gushes out of the broad wound as the red form hits the ground. His clothing color matches his blood.

(Gwen and Aranion may go ahead and take their action. It can be assumed that Red1 is attacking Gwen, Red2 is dying now and that red3 is standing by the hatchway.)

wxdruid
2009-08-31, 07:10 PM
Gwen

Gwen grimaces and goes to work defending herself and the man on the deck. She moves her blade up and around to deflect his blow, moving it to the side before she swings around and aims for Red1's waist and legs.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Ragnoth
2009-08-31, 07:12 PM
Aranion quickly fires off two shots at the man standing furthest away

to hit 1 [roll0]
damage 1 [roll1]
to hit 2 [roll2]
Damage 2 [roll3]

Perducci
2009-08-31, 07:24 PM
Aranion's first arrow flies true and strikes the attacker in the ribs. He groans deeply as the second arrow lodges in the deck a few feet away.

Gwen swings her blade gracefully much to the surprise of her attacker. He cuts him at the hip. He lets out a mighty roar and bring his own weapon down on Gwen's shoulder. The blade slips quickly through her and blood begins to flow.

Meanwhile, the other standing man-in-red realizes this is not a winning fight and ducks back into the hatchway. He slams it shut as he flees.

Red1 did 8 damage to Gwen. Round two has begun with Red1's action.

Ragnoth
2009-08-31, 07:40 PM
don't let them get away Aranion shouts as he releases another two arrows at the same man
to hit 1 [roll0]
Damage 1 [roll1]
To hit 2 [roll2]
Damage 2 [roll3]

Sucrose
2009-08-31, 07:47 PM
Maenon grimaces, and runs back to help Gwen. Somehow, even in his pell-mell rush, he manages to avoid tripping. He leaps the last few feet, and slashes down with a heavy overhand blow.

Charge into flanking position against the last man in red still on deck.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Killsauce
2009-08-31, 08:56 PM
Not wanting to risk injury to his friends, Angus decides to cheer them on with an old dwarven battle chant. 99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beerlol.....Alright, I'll be serious When axes swing and hammers fall good Moradin grants strength to all. But when the foe should harry dwarves, Moradin shall dull there swords. Let not your hearts be faint with fear, let not the enemy a wimper hear. For here are we, with weapons drawn, to fight and slay till the coming dawn.

Killsauce
2009-08-31, 08:59 PM
This is my bardic music effect for the day(inspire courage), so after my round everyone take a +1 to attack, damage, and saves vs fear and charm effects.

wxdruid
2009-09-01, 12:23 PM
Gwen

Gwen takes the brunt of the attack with determination. She tells herself that she isn't going to fall. She lifts up her scimitar, it feels heavier than a moment ago and the blood runs down her arm to drip on the deck. She takes a heavy swing at him, hoping to drop him.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

And she probably misses with that roll...

Perducci
2009-09-01, 09:27 PM
The last remaining foe standing makes a beautiful display of combat evasion. He ducks, weaves and parries all of the incoming blows. He also sees that the fight is hopeless. He drops his sword and raises his hands in surrender. You may have won this fight, but you have lost the battle. Where oh where is your brave commander?

The man drops back his hood to reveal a heavily-scarred, deeply tanned face. His thick black hair droops to his shoulders. A thin mustache accents his twisted sneer as he delivers his taunt.

Ragnoth
2009-09-01, 09:41 PM
A look of anger appears on Aranions face and he glares at the man we do not have time to play your games and you are in no position to mock us. Tell me who the hell are you and what you have done with our commander or this next arrow will go straight through your skull as he says this he knocks an arrow and draws back the bow

intimidate check [roll0]
It's worth a try

wxdruid
2009-09-01, 09:43 PM
Gwen

Gwen lifts her scimitar, ready to attack again if he makes a threatening move.

Perducci
2009-09-01, 09:53 PM
The man smiles sickeningly. An arrow would be well deserved. I do however believe I am in a position to mock you. A Freeland captain is a nice catch. An elf with a fancy ship means he's even more important. You do not know me, but I have plagued your wretched slave-dog country for years. I am Isil.

He points toward the hatchway to the cabin quarters. We have your captain. A forced attempt into there will surely end in his death. There are many other warriors within...You are exceptional warriors...for slaves anyway, but even you would be ill prepared for that fight. I suggest a trade. Your ship for his life.

Sucrose
2009-09-02, 07:49 AM
Maenon sighs, but does not drop his blade. He kicks the man's scimitar into the water, and keeps his blade ready to cut the man down if necessary.

"You are captain? Your life for his."

Perducci
2009-09-02, 01:37 PM
Isil turns his head away in disgust. I have much more important things to do than play with silly ships. The captain of this vessel is dead. I should know. I slit his throat. He smiles as he looks off into the distance remembering. Our replacement captain is somewhere tucked away inside with yours...probably deciding which pair of ribs to slide his knife into...

He looks back to your ship and takes a small step towards it. On second thought, the reward this ship would bring me isn't so great. I doubt it could be replicated easily, and I'm sure neither you or the long-beards would let it stay afloat long. If I negotiate the release of your captain with my comrades, would you let me go free. Unless of course, you'd like to his his dainty head sink beneath the waves. You all seem like a decent sailing crew. Think of what it would be like to be in command of such a fine ship.

By this point, the entire crew of The Good Lady is standing alongside her rails and staring. Many eyes burn with hatred. All of the more experience sailors have daggers drawn that gleam in the pale moonlight and flickering torchlight.

Isil slowly pulls back his cloak to reveal a pipe tucked into his belt. May I?

Killsauce
2009-09-02, 04:02 PM
Let me says Angus I'm our resident negotiator anyhow, remember?. With that he climbs down into the other vessel and lights a pipe, then lights that of Isil. We have much in the way of cargo Mr. Isil. We have not yet jettisoned it, and it would be a shame for us to have to go on a killing rampage aboard your vessel after scuttling ours. We are greedy traders, understand, and if we can't have the ship, neither will we let you have it. However, we would be willing to part with some of our more precious cargo in exchange for our captain. First, however, we need a guarantee that he is still alive. May we see him?

I'm not sure which roll(if not both) is/are required.

Bluff(to prevent him from realizing that I mean to draw the captain and his guard into the open for a daring rescue attempt) 1d20+7
Diplomacy(to convince him to oblige) 1d20+6

Killsauce
2009-09-02, 04:04 PM
alright, I jacked up the code on the rolls and it's giving an error cause I tried to edit to fix it. Here go the rolls again.

Diplomacy [roll0]
Bluff [roll1]

Perducci
2009-09-03, 04:17 PM
Isil puffs on his pipe and blows smoke rings that quickly disappear in the sea breeze. He seems disinterested in what you are saying.

If you force me to show my hand, I'll expect to see yours first. Any attempt to force your demands on me will surely end with you only briefly getting a glimpse of a corpse.

Sucrose
2009-09-03, 04:51 PM
Maenon glances up at Angus, trying to look him in the eye, to see if he minds if Maenon makes a minor point in the present diplomatic debate.

Ragnoth
2009-09-03, 05:27 PM
Aranion let's out a sigh then lifts himself up onto the ship's railing and sits down if we agree to your earlier proposal how do we know that If we allow you to negotiate with your captain you won't just bring reinforcements back or just run away
sense motive 1d20+3

Killsauce
2009-09-03, 09:10 PM
Angus gives a quick glance to Maenon signaling the go-ahead.Of course, we are both reasonable men here.

Sucrose
2009-09-03, 09:39 PM
Maenon nods, then looks over to the beleaguered goblin deckhand.

"Get one of the chests," he says.

Perducci
2009-09-04, 03:48 PM
The goblin looks a little confused at this simple order. A chest? He scratches his head. 'N empty one?

Sucrose
2009-09-04, 03:52 PM
Maenon sighs, remembering that sometimes, one needs to give more than subject-verb-object sentences.

"Get a chest of some of our more expensive cargo, that this man may peruse it."

wxdruid
2009-09-04, 03:55 PM
Gwen

Gwen takes a sliding step or two backwards trying to locate the man she gave the healing potion. She wants to determine how he fares, if he's conscious or unconscious.

Perducci
2009-09-04, 04:30 PM
Gwen finds the battered man still lying on the deck. He's alive, but seems to be sleeping.

The gobin runs off and drags a heavy chest from the wingship. He struggles to lift if and tosses it onto the deck of the keelboat. It dents the planks. It has LC carved into its side. The goblin hops onto the deck and begins to fumble with some keys. It takes him several tries to get the right one to open the chest. He finally gets it.

The chest is filled with Dwarven Empire coins. Most of it is silver and gold. The goblin's eyes pop open wide. Wow. Boy'd the Cap'd be mighty angry if he knew what I done...

Killsauce
2009-09-04, 06:42 PM
The captain lad replied Angus will be happy to keep his life. If he has a problem with it, he can talk to me. Now there, you've seen our end of the bargain, show us our captain.

diplomacy [roll0]

Perducci
2009-09-04, 08:45 PM
Isil looks at the coins and scoffs. And why should I be willing to trust that I am allowed to go free once you get your precious captain back?

He makes a motion toward the cabin hatch. Can I walk freely? You have already disarmed me. I pose no real threat at this point, and I'd prefer to negotiate without the fear of being pierced with a sword or an arrow.

Sucrose
2009-09-04, 09:28 PM
Maenon shakes his head when the privateer captain turns his back, clearly for Angus's benefit more than anyone else's. However, as he is not the diplomat on staff, he doesn't do anything more, trusting in the windsinger's instincts on the matter.

Killsauce
2009-09-05, 03:53 AM
Look. We'd be fools to harm you if you bring our captain up to us with a guard holding a dagger to his throat. If you died surely he would also. Now I'm growing weary of this conversation and I just want to bribe the living **** out of you so that we can get our captain back and all go home. After that, I will be honest with you, I hope Moradin sees to it that you choke to death on your next meal.

Perducci
2009-09-05, 07:59 AM
With a slow understanding nod, he walks slowly over to the door and knocks on it. It is Isil. The other's would like to see their Captain. Show him.

With that, Isil takes two quick steps and leaps into the water. A moment later, the hatch is opened and several men toss out Lel. He's badly bruised up. You can see that his eyes have been cut out and his throat cut. Five men step out of the hatchway. Somone from inside bellows something. They begin to move toward you with weapons held high.

At the same time 5 sailors leap onto the deck from your ship. The little goblin runs to the opposite end of the deck and tries to find cover.

Sucrose
2009-09-05, 08:14 AM
Maenon stares at the ruined body of his Captain. With almost disturbing calm, he glances back to Gwen and says,

"See if he can be saved."

He then turns back around, and charges straight into the thick of the enemy, his scimitar crashing down at the nearest skull.

Staying in Step of the Wind stance (or, if this is considered a new encounter, activating it) and charging the nearest of the men in red.
[roll0](If his target is hindered by difficult terrain in his present position, the attack roll is two points higher.)
[roll1]
If crit threat,
[roll2](same rules apply)
[roll3]

Ragnoth
2009-09-05, 09:33 AM
you scum are gonna pay for this Aranion shouts as he leaps down from the rails and fires two arrows at the man standing closest to Lel

to hit 1 [roll0]
Damage 1 [roll1]
To hit 2 [roll2]
Damage 2 [roll3]

wxdruid
2009-09-05, 09:40 AM
Gwen

Gwen suddenly sucks in her breath when she sees their mutilated captain. Then her face goes blank and she stares at the others, scimitar still raised, her blood still slowly dripping to the deck. When Maenon orders her to check on the captain, she warily looks around to see if any of them mean to attack her on the way.

If one does come for her, attack [roll0], damage [roll1]. If she can make it to the captain, heal check [roll2]

Killsauce
2009-09-05, 08:02 PM
****! My inspire courage has no doubt worn off by now. Anyhow I make the gestures and say the words to cast Cause Fear on the enemy caiptain(DC 14 will save).May you become fuel for Moradin's forge in the next life ye heartless scum!!!.

Initiative [roll0]

Perducci
2009-09-07, 03:03 PM
Gwen finds that there is nothing she can do to save Captain Lel Creststrider. No one makes and approach to her as the five newcomers seem to have their hands full with Maenon(He's blocking them off at the hatchway.)

As the combat closes, two of the Freeland sailors throw their daggers at one of the attackers, managing to bring one of the men down. They then look around on the deck for debris to use as weapons. Maenon's attack is deflected at the last moment. He manages to dodge two of his attacker's blows, but also takes two deep slashes (Causing 5 damage). Aranion's leap onto the deck must have thrown his aim off because both of his arrow's fly wild. The other three sailors rush to Maenon's back, but stand back a bit from the swirl of melee.

From just inside the hatchway, you can see a pair of glowing eyes. A deep rolling chant begins to come from inside.

Killsauce
2009-09-07, 03:49 PM
did my cause fear succeed? If so I'm charging straight at the enemy captain with my spear, hoping to drive him off the deck of his ship.

Sucrose
2009-09-07, 04:32 PM
Maenon observes the nearest of the foes carefully, waiting for the exact instant when his guard is at its weakest, and going from a neutral stance into a slash almost instantly.

Performing Sapphire Nightmare Blade. Still in Step of the Wind stance, should it be relevant. If the Concentration check matches or exceeds the nearest mook's AC, then the attack catches him flatfooted, and deals an extra 1d6 damage. If it fails to reach the mook's AC, then Maenon takes a -2 penalty on his attack roll, as his stroke is rushed and at the incorrect time.
[roll0]
[roll1](Standard Step of Wind disclaimer goes here)
[roll2]
[roll3]
If a crit threat,
[roll4]
[roll5]

wxdruid
2009-09-08, 05:26 PM
Gwen

Gwen turns away from the dead captain and spots the eyes in the darkness. She hears the chanting and drops her scimitar to the deck. She casts a spell of her own, thunderhead, hoping to distract the voice in the darkness. She doesn't want him to complete whatever spell he's casting.

Black mist forms near the ground and sweeps upward to form a small cloud above the creature. A miniature bolt of lightning strikes downwards towards the glowing eyes.

thunderhead will follow whatever creature it is in hatch with 1 bolt of lightning each round. It does 1 hp of electricity damage each time unless it makes a successful reflex save, DC 14

Ragnoth
2009-09-09, 02:30 PM
Aranion lines himself up again gazes down the arrow aims straight for the same man the arrow and releases.

to hit [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
to hit 2 [roll2]
Damage 2 [roll3]
what the hell are going on with my rolls :smallfrown:

Perducci
2009-09-09, 07:26 PM
The combat continues...

Maenon easily cuts down another of the men as a lumberjack to a tree. Meaning, he slices one of them neatly in half at the waist. The man from within the cabin, finishes his spell with a loud word. A small snake appears behind Maenon and succeeds in biting him in his leg. The viper is then beaten to death quickly by the Freeland crew. Once again, Aranion's marksmenship fails him...perhaps the slight rocking of the ship is throwin off his aim tonight.

(Since it was never cleared up, the cause fear has effected on of the men Maenon now fights.)

Seeing how Isil easily escaped, one of the men fighting Maenon makes for the edge of the ship(AoO for Maenon). The other is less cowardly, but his malicious intentions of poking a new hole to breathe from in Maenon's face fails to bear fruit.

The spellcaster within the cabin gets zapped by Gwen's spell and curses. Eternity in the Maelstrom awaits you! A dull ray of energy is emitted from the cabin. It strikes Gwen and makes all of her muscles burn and ache.(Ray of Enfeeblement 4 Str Damage.)

Sucrose
2009-09-09, 08:48 PM
Maenon gasps in pain at the serpent strike, and feels his blood begin to run cold. Fighting against the poison, he slashes against the back of the man who tried to run, before turning his attention to the one who tried to strike him.

He draws his mace, and whirls both of his weapons in a twinned diagonal cut against the final opponent between him and his poisoner. As they wheel, they burst into flame. Should his blows cut the man down, he'll step in to try to prevent the spellcaster from getting another spell off without him getting a chance to interrupt it.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Move Action: Draw Light Mace
Swift Action: Burning Blade
Standard Action: Wolf Fang Strike

[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

If he successfully downs the last meleeist, he'll take a five-foot step into the hatch to try to prevent the spellcaster from casting spells.

Ragnoth
2009-09-10, 11:23 AM
Aranion sighs at his lack of accuracy but holds together and shoots 2 more arrows towards the man trying to escape

to hit [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
to hit 2 [roll2]
Damage 2 [roll3]
finally

wxdruid
2009-09-10, 12:07 PM
Gwen

Gwen's scimitar sags in her hands as the ray hits and she feels her strength waning. She glares at the other spellcaster, but finds it amusing when he swears at her minor little thunderbolt. But, it reminds her that she needs to learn more, so she can protect her friends better. She hopes he stays distracted by it for one more round as she drops her scimitar to the deck and casts cure light wounds on herself, [roll0]. She's of no use to anyone if she's dead. ((how is everyone else's hp?))

Killsauce
2009-09-10, 04:34 PM
((I haven't sustained any dammage)). Angas reloads his crossbow and prepares to launch a bolt at the man in the cabin(full round action to reload, I'll fire next round if he's still alive, but I'll go ahead and post the rolls to save time).

Attack Roll[roll0]
Damage Roll[roll1]

Perducci
2009-09-11, 03:13 PM
As the fleeing man struggles past the debris, Maenon's swipe connects with his leg. This causes him to stumble just a bit. He makes it almost to the railing when two arrow's strike him in the back, killing him mid-stride. The momentum of his failed escape drags him over the railing. Look's like he got away after all.

Maenon also manages to step toward the spellcaster, who's eye's actually are glowing a reddish orange. He is now revealed to be an older man with a thick mustache and beard. His cloak is decorated with several gold and silver pins. He gives a low growl at the sight of his last crew member being cut down. Curse you Isil! With a snarl, he draws an ornate dagger and moves back further into the cabin. He may be backing away, but a defiant stance tells you that he won't come easily...or at all.

The inside of the cabin is spotted with dry blood and the bodies of what was probably the original crew...Freelander's by the look of them.

Killsauce
2009-09-11, 03:21 PM
If the enemy caster moved into the cabin too far for me to shoot him I will simply finish reloading and move forward, then shoot as my next turn(can I keep the first two rolls?).

Sucrose
2009-09-11, 03:31 PM
((Assuming that the poison was a Con-damage on, Maenon is down to 11/16, so he's not doing too badly.))

Maenon glares at the Captain. Dropping his mace on the floor of the cabin, he focuses on and rushes the final opponent, delivering a diagonal slash at the man's midsection.

Free action: drop mace, two-hand grip his scimitar.

Swift action: If there's no debris between him and the Captain, he'll switch his stance to Stance of Clarity, getting +2 AC versus the Captain, and -2 AC versus anyone else.

He will then move adjacent to the Captain, either through charge (if he doesn't need to change direction too much) or through a move action (if he does). Then, regular attack.

[roll0] (+2 if he's able to charge.)
[roll1]

Ragnoth
2009-09-11, 03:51 PM
Aranion moves round to get a good shot at the spellcaster, as he sees the spellcasters face he frowns draws back his bow and fires a single shot at the man. ((if he can't move in to a position where he can see the spellcaster he will begin to move towards cabin puting his bow down on the deck before had and taking out his rapier.))

to hit [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Perducci
2009-09-11, 03:57 PM
(The poison did Strength damage...pretty sure that's in the OOC Thread)

Sucrose
2009-09-11, 04:00 PM
(The poison did Strength damage...pretty sure that's in the OOC Thread)

((Ah; all right. In that case, he's at 13/18, and his attack and damage should each have been one point lower. Sorry about that.))

wxdruid
2009-09-11, 05:26 PM
Gwen

Gwen picks up her scimitar and quickly looks around, but her companions don't seem to need any immediate help, so she follows the others to the doorway where the defiant spellcaster is backed into a corner. Her small thunderstorm delivers one last bolt of lightning before it vanishes. Her scimitar is heavy in her hands, but her look says that they'll pay him back for his presumption in killing their captain.

It does 1 hp of electricity damage each time unless he makes a successful reflex save, DC 14

Perducci
2009-09-12, 01:42 PM
As you all close in on the presumed leader of this attack, he gets a wild look in his eyes and begins to laugh. You Freelanders are in for more than you expect. You'll be slaves once again soon enough. He spits at you and mutters the word "Scum".

He then slams his dagger upward through his chin and back into his head. A wicked smile plays across his face and blood begins to trickle from the corners of his lips and gush out of his neck. His body slumps to the ground his eye's flitter around involuntarily...He gurgles out one last word. Scum...

The crew of The Good Lady begins to gather around Captain Creststrider's body. Everyone look's confused. One of the elves begins a song. His low, sweet voice cracks into sobbing. His song about the wind being forever at Lel's back is left unfinished.

The young goblin breaks the silence. What'd'we do now?

Sucrose
2009-09-12, 02:54 PM
Maenon sighs heavily, cleaning his blade on the fallen enemy leader before sheathing it, and collecting his mace.

At the goblin's question, once again, Maenon offers his ideas, which unfortunately require multiple sentences.

"Loot the keelboat. It will be a decent pyre for the Captain. Toss the slavers to the sharks."

wxdruid
2009-09-12, 06:08 PM
Gwen

Gwen nods, that seems the best course of action for now. She cleans off her scimitar and puts it away. If anyone needs healing (hp damage) she'll help them, but she can't do much for the ability damage.

Perducci
2009-09-13, 10:30 AM
The crew dutifully begins the cleanup. The first to be thrown overboard is the enemy captain. His crew quickly follows. Then, the morbid task of of stacking some debris around the bodies in the cabin. The looting doesn't yield much. A stack of daggers and swords, a chest of silver pieces and enough oil to set the ship ablaze is all they can find.

The little goblin finds a bucket and fills it with seawater. He cleans Lel's body off and scrambles back onto The Good Lady. He returns with the captain's greatcoat. He gently wraps the blue and orange coat around Lel and shines his medals. Cain't 'ave him lookin' a mess when he crosses over.

The haggard man you originally saw aboard the ship smells the oil and comes to enough to drink the potion he was given. He stiffly stands up and then sinks to his knees as he looks around. Please, don't kill me. They made me.......please.

wxdruid
2009-09-13, 03:50 PM
Gwen

Gwen suddenly turns from the preparations to face him, They made you? What do you mean? She doesn't like the sound of that, what did happen.

If he hasn't moved from his ship to theirs, she prods him to move, with her weapon if necessary.

Killsauce
2009-09-13, 10:48 PM
Well Says Angus as he makes his way to the wounded prisoner. I say the first thing we do is gather up everything we can. I'll see if I can detect any magic emanating from any of it. That ornate dagger could be promising:smallsmile:. I'll do the detection later however as I'd like to get some answers out of this one. As for the captain, we should give him a proper funeral, to be sure. I'll sing a dirge and then we shall all drink to his memory. I have just the thing in my quarters:smallwink:.. When he has finished his suggestions, and the trip to the prisoner, he turns and faces the man. My name is Angus. I'll be asking you some questions and would appreciate it if you would answer honestly. I am known for being lenient with those who cooperate. Just ask the crew, they've gotten in the habit now of admitting to things before I even ask. So let's start with your name and what it is that they made you do. As he is speaking Angus pulls a barrel over and has a seat. This might take a while. As for the prisoner, he can sit on the ground. The height difference might give Angus a bit of an edge.

Diplomacy check [roll0]

Also, if you check my character sheet's equipment section, I actually do have the ale to toast the captain.:smallwink:

Perducci
2009-09-14, 12:34 PM
The man begins quietly. My name... He stares off for a moment apparently in deep thought. It's been so long since I've heard it. Slave, scum, dog......those are my names. Perhaps it is John, but I do not remember. I'm an animal to them. That is all. A beast of burden. How I've lived these past twenty...I think twenty...years is beyond me.

His face pales...Nevermind. I was forced to stand here and yell for help. It seemed like weeks but perhaps it was only days. No food, no water. Just fear of death kept me going...I was to lure in a ship. The bait. Inhuman bait....

Killsauce
2009-09-14, 01:14 PM
sense motive [roll0]

wxdruid
2009-09-14, 01:39 PM
Gwen

Gwen's anger fades as she listens to his tale of woe. She looks at Angus before she looks back again. You were forced to stand as bait to draw a ship closer? With nothing to sustain you? What did they want from us?

Sucrose
2009-09-16, 08:11 AM
Maenon sighs, and guesses the man's answer.

"Booty and slaves? We should put him in the brig."

Perducci
2009-09-16, 02:59 PM
The man shrugs his shoulders. I suppose that was what they were after...to be honest I don't know. The captain did talk about some big plan alot. Isil and him would argue about it for hours on end....at least it got them off my back.

He shuffles his feet around a little. I don't have much of a choice do I? I'm sure whatever you give me will be better.

wxdruid
2009-09-16, 04:26 PM
Gwen

She looks up at Maenon, I agree, he should go in the brig. I don't trust him. She looks back down at the prisoner. Although we will provide you with food and water. He may have been part of the plot that killed their captain, but she is not going to deprive him of basic necessities in retaliation.

Sucrose
2009-09-16, 04:34 PM
Maenon shrugs and nods.

"We aren't animals. Won't risk ourselves, but won't pass judgement either. Hop aboard; we can talk more later."

With the last sentence, he gestures at the former prisoner, who has recently regained his status, albeit under hopefully more decent jailers. Said gesture is clearly an indication to get aboard The Good Lady, so that the keelboat can be set ablaze.

Killsauce
2009-09-17, 04:04 AM
(OOC, I never did get a response on that sense motive)

Ragnoth
2009-09-17, 03:14 PM
Let's get this all over with quick we don't know if they have any friends in the area

with this he moves back towards the helm and leans on the wheel, and gazes around at the mess and lets out a long sigh.

Let's have this ship ready to move as soon as possible, i don't like this one bit

He then stands up and looks around the ship and gazes into the horizon checking for any other ships

search [roll0]
spot [roll1]
Listen (just in case) [roll2]

wxdruid
2009-09-17, 07:54 PM
Gwen

Gwen will follow the prisoner back to their ship and help in preparations to leave the area.

Killsauce
2009-09-17, 10:43 PM
I load the captains body onto the enemy ship and begin preparations to make it into a funeral pyre.

Perducci
2009-09-19, 08:41 AM
(Ugh sorry about the wait...work was a nightmare this week...Wake up 4am, work, eat, sleep, repeat. Not good. Oh...and Angus buys what the guy is saying)

Your prisoner shambles back onto your ship and plops down on the deck until one of the crew escorts him below. Everyone else is getting ready for the final preparations of the Pyre. Once it is all done,torches are thrown aboard.

The blaze begins. Fire quickly spreads across the keelboat's deck and engulfs the captain's body. The smell is horrible...all that burning meat, hair and skin causes one of the crew to get sick. Fortunately, a breeze picks up and carries the assault on your noses away. A few minutes later, the entire ship is burning. It slowly begins to sink. Steam rises and hovers around The Good Lady until it too is blown away in the breeze. The last bubbles from the sinking mass pop on the water's surface.

The goblin once again breaks the silence of the sea burial/cremation. We be goin' home now, ain't we?

Sucrose
2009-09-19, 09:00 AM
((It's all good. I hope things have steadied out at a palatable level for you.))

Maenon looks at the goblin, and nods wordlessly. He then gets to work on his own assigned duties for the movement of the ship, almost as though his Captain wasn't slaughtered half an hour ago.

Killsauce
2009-09-19, 10:11 AM
(OOC somebody should name that goblin, I like him).

Angus begins singing a sad dwarven funeral song. It is characterized by long, low notes which resonate in the chest, as well as some harsher sounds not found in the common tongue. When he is finished he returns to his usual duties of weather monitering and navigation(let me know, btw, if I need to make the navigation checks mentioned in Stormwracked, or use my sextant).

wxdruid
2009-09-19, 06:00 PM
Gwen

Despite the smell, Gwen stands at the railing and watches it burn as they pull away. She sends a silent prayer to her god before she turns and gets back to work.

Perducci
2009-09-20, 09:20 AM
(OOC-The goblin does have a name! I'm just not telling. Yet. Also, I do those kinds of rolls in secret. It's no fun if you know when you're lost or on course.)

The crew follows its officers' leads and jumps right back to work as well. Within minutes, the ship is back underway. For the most part, everyone is remaining silent, but vigilant. Your prisoner has kept to himself for the most part. He's enjoying the food though and the lack of regular beatings.

The next morning, the more experienced sailors can all feel home very close by. The ship has passed a few smaller islands that have served as landmarks leading to Freeland for centuries. Several of the crew cry out in joy. It isn't until the excitement dies down that someone notices several loud booms.

You can all look to see that perhaps a mile away a naval skirmish is taking place.

Killsauce
2009-09-20, 04:40 PM
We'd best be leaving that alone. Angus says After losing the captain and all, were in no shape to get into an all out brawl if we can help it.

Sucrose
2009-09-20, 05:10 PM
Maenon nods, and begins looking for the best route to get the ship through without being put at risk.

Perducci
2009-09-23, 09:59 AM
You can see an island that you could hide behind. The ships seem to be doing their fighting on on side of it though. The trick would be getting there without presenting a target.

wxdruid
2009-09-25, 09:59 PM
Gwen

Gwen keeps watch at the railing, ready to give a helping hand if she's needed.

Sucrose
2009-09-27, 06:44 PM
Maenon tries to figure out what the currents are probably like around here, to minimize time spent out in the open on the way to the other side of the island.

I don't know if it can be used for this, but it seems like a logical extension of the skill.
[roll0]

Killsauce
2009-10-01, 03:59 PM
Angus goes down to the gun deck, to assist the crew in case things get hairy.(And let's be honest, artillery really gets Angus' dwarven blood pumping).

Ragnoth
2009-10-06, 05:17 PM
Aranion grabs the wheel and begins turning towards the island in which tey would be able to hide. he would prefer to avoid any fighting especially after the loss of there captain.

Alright crew keep this ship moving but be prepared, i would like to avoid anymore uncessary fighting but keep an eye out none the less

Profession sailor [roll0] just in case