PDA

View Full Version : Applying the Dragonborn Template

Livor
2009-08-30, 04:31 PM
First of all, I would like to state that I don't have easy access to any of the actual source books. I only have access to anything made freely available online.

Now to my question. What does the Dragonborn template replace, add to, or remove from the base race? All I have to go on is this (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060105b&page=1) lovely article, and to be perfectly frank, it is less than precise. For more detail on what is replaced, it directs the reader to a non-existent sidebar, which I presume is in RotD. Needless to say, it doesn't do me a whole ton of good. For example, if the base race were to be, say, a Water Orc, would the Draconic Aspect granted by the template replace the Natural Swimmer granted by the base race?

I realize this is a simple question, but nonetheless I would like to issue a preemptive 'thank you' to anyone willing to help.

AslanCross
2009-08-30, 06:29 PM
You lose bonus feats, skill bonuses (whether skill point bonuses [Human] or actual modifiers [Halfling Move Silently bonus, for example]), attack bonuses (Dwarf bonus vs. goblinoids), save bonuses (elf bonus vs Enchantment), spell-like abilities (Aasimar daylight), "and so forth."

Type an Subtypes: You retain your original and gain the dragonblood subtype.

Racial Hit Dice: You retain these and their benefits. (BAB, base saves)

Ability Modifiers: retained, stack with Dragonborn modifiers.

Size: Retained.

Speed: Retained, along with any special movement methods and related abilities (Dwarf's speed in heavy armor, for example)

Languages: Retained, plus Draconic as an automatic language.

Favored Class: Retained. Also gain Fighter as a favored class and may multiclass to Paladin freely.

LA: Retained.

Livor
2009-08-30, 06:37 PM
Thank you. That would have been my first guess, but the rules tend to be occasionally inconsistent. Sometimes it's better just to ask.