PDA

View Full Version : Introducing NEW new players into a low mid-level campaign (3.5).

Woodsman
2009-08-30, 05:00 PM
All right, so I've recently talked with a couple of my friends, and they've asked to join my and my other friends gaming group. The two sets of friends know each other, so I'm no problems will occur there.

The problem is that the two new ones have never played before, which presents a problem, given the fact that our current campaign (Which I DM) is 9th-level.

I'd really rather not have the two noobs (no offense to them) start off at a level above 4. Any suggestions, Playgrounders?

As a note, the four of us more experienced ones would be perfectly willing to help them out in any way possible. I'd also like to stick to core.

Glyphic
2009-08-30, 05:06 PM
Have a training day/game/games.

Help them build a couple of characters at a decent level (so the power curve doesn't shock them later), and run them through, not with a sword, a small quest or storyline. Then pick up the big game later.

Johel
2009-08-30, 05:12 PM
What about running a one-shot at low-level first ? Something of a side story to the main campaign, with other characters ?
Sure, your usual players might want to continue the main campaign but tell them their main characters will get some rewards but that it's up to the "new" characters to deliver it.

Arrange for the noobs to get a quick level up (3 encounters per level, just so they can test the system, supply lot's of extra XP for completing objectives, quality of RP, ect...).

When they're level 6, they'll join the main group.

Thajocoth
2009-08-30, 05:19 PM
I'm playing my 1st 3.5e campaign ever and we started at level 6. We've played 3 sessions so far and I haven't had any problems yet.

Mongoose87
2009-08-30, 05:24 PM
Sometimes, it's better to have your first around 4th level. Less chance of getting one-shotted by a lucky orc.

woodenbandman
2009-08-30, 05:24 PM
Run the typical RPG introduction. "Walk Forward. Good! Run. Good! Now you've found a weapon. Equip it. Good! Notice that your wizard is not proficient..."

Give them the basics, especially in relation to combat, skills, and how the game itself will play. Don't stress too much into obscure stuff like donning time or list of conditions, but do make sure to go over how characters advance and learn new things, how you die, and stuff. In order of importance, I would rank it:

What it's like to play the game (don't give too much RP at once, spread it out on an easy first quest like "squash the rats")
Stats and what they mean (mix this in with the combat and skill sections)
Attack bonus
Armor Class
Saves
Skills
Character Advancement

Thajocoth
2009-08-30, 05:30 PM
Sometimes, it's better to have your first around 4th level. Less chance of getting one-shotted by a lucky orc.

Oh yeah... It was recommended to me that I take a non-spellcasting class as my first class and not start with too much LA. I wound up with LA +1 and 75hp. Seeing the party's caster try to figure out what to do despite having played before, I'm kinda glad this was suggested to me. Perhaps that's the way to go. Get them used to the mechanics without spellcasting first.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2009-08-30, 05:32 PM
I agree with Johel.
Start a small side campaign and use it to quickly level your "noob" friends through 6th or 7th ish, then merge the games.
It will give the new guys some time to learn what they're doing and get comfortable with their pc's before they join the existing campaign.
You could even have your existing players help out by rolling their own characters for side campaigne and when it gets to the point where the games will merge the players with 2 pcs could pick which character they want to continue with. I've seen this work in games before.

AslanCross
2009-08-30, 05:50 PM
My very first group was made up entirely of newbies. I was a newbie myself. We were kind of slow (more due to limited play time), but we managed to slog through from Lv 5 to Lv 10. Of course it might have helped that we were all newbies, but I'm saying it's not so hard.

kentma57
2009-08-30, 06:01 PM
My last group of new players was dumped into a 21st level gestalt hack-n-slash game, by the end of it they knew how the crunch worked in D&D.

Dublock
2009-08-30, 06:17 PM
My last group of new players was dumped into a 21st level gestalt hack-n-slash game, by the end of it they knew how the crunch worked in D&D.

starting in Epic? Wow...crazy lol

kentma57
2009-08-30, 06:18 PM
starting in Epic? Wow...crazy lol

And very fun, to watch. :smallbiggrin:

Woodsman
2009-08-30, 06:19 PM
And very fun, to watch. :smallbiggrin:

I'd imagine so.