+6|
+6|
+3|Sneak attack+3d6

10th|
+7|
+7|
+7|
+3|Trap sense+4, Combat style[/table]

Class Skills-Spot, Hide, Move Silently, Craft (trap making), Search, Climb, Survival, Disable device, Bluff

HD: d8
Skill Points 4+Intelligence modifier
Weapon Proficiencies: gain none
Armour proficiencies: gain none

Class features
Endurance feat at first level

Trap sense as a barbarian at 1st level increasing by 1 at 4th, 7th and 10th level. This ability stacks with that of the barbarian

Trap finding as the ability of a rogue, this ability does not improve the ability of a rogue who already has it.

Combat style. Chose one of the following styles. Melee or Ranged
Melee-At lvl1 you gain the Quick Draw feat, at lvl5 you may use weapon finesse to apply your dex modifier to any one handed weapon you are proficient with, at lvl10 you may perform a greater sneak attack once per day with a melee weapon. This sneak attack uses d8 in place of d6 and counts the opponent as being flanked so long as there is another ally threatening him.
Ranged-At lvl1 you gain the Rapid Reload feat, at lvl5 you may perform a ranged sneak attack from a distance of 45 ft, at lvl10 you may perform a greater sneak attack once per day with a ranged weapon. This sneak attack uses d8 in place of d6 and counts the opponent as being flanked so long as there is another ally threatening him.

A border watcher of level two or more may play dead as a response to any damage that would drop them below 0 Hp. They are treated as though they had the Diehard feat but in addition to its regular abilities may drop to the ground, slowing their breathing and feigning death. By making an opposed bluff check to the opponents spot check they can appear dead. Their wounds grant +2 circumstance modifier to this check. If the Border Watcher makes any actions in this state they instantly fail their bluff check. Should the need arise a border watcher can make a sneak attack from this position, but suffers all the penalties associated with being prone.

Dune Runner. Border watchers of 4th level or higher suffer no movement penalties on any kind of sand and gain a 5ft move increase when in sandy environments

Door sense. A 5th level Border watcher can make a search check to find any secret door which they pass within 10ft of.

Sand stirrer. An 8th lvl border watcher gains an additional 5ft of movement speed in sandy environments. In addition to this they also gain a +2 bonus in sandy environments to trip checks and to attack rolls made from a flanking position. Furthermore a border watcher gains a 5ft burrow speed in sand (but no means of breathing underground). Typically this ability is used to submerge the individual in sand with only their head sticking out as they lie in ambush. This grants them +20 circumstance modifier to hide checks and total cover.

This class is for a homebrew setting and I wanted to check it was fairly balanced. Basically the organisation in question is a group of elite Kobolds (Tucker style) who guard a set of chasms and gulfs that surround their lands in the deserts. They excel at ambushes using both traps and their own combat prowess to overwhelm their opponents. In addition to their defensive capabilities though they are also the nations crack troops for political assassinations, infiltrations and other covert missions, their knowledge of traps and secret passages making them excellent spies.

Godskook
2009-08-30, 05:27 PM
You can definitely increase the SA a bit. At present, you're giving the same amount of SA as Daggerspell mage, which gives 9/10 casting and 6+int skill points as well. You could probably get away with full SA progression, but someone more familiar with rogues would be better to ask.

DracoDei
2009-08-30, 09:37 PM
You have the capstone for the Ranged combat style effecting Melee attacks only. That is probably a typo.

Also, daggerspelkl mages probably start the PrC dual-classed, which means both their casting and sneak attack will already be a bit low.

Jair Barik
2009-08-31, 02:00 AM
Thanks that was a typo.
I gave it reduced sneak attack because it also gains other abilities as well. I could however increase this. I was unsure wether or not the greater sneak attack should be more impressive, e.g. d10 damage, 3/day or a number of times per day equal to your dexterity modifier

HereticNox
2009-08-31, 08:40 PM
I like the idea of playing dead. Though the wording might need to be clarified.

Maybe have another ability called sudden strike (whatever), where they can play in order to use a sneak attack. Basically by causing the oppenent to drop their guard, lose their dexterity bonus allowing sneak attack.

Also why not make it a d8? Since it seems like a roguish class with less skill points.

Still Play Dead is a nice ability.

Jair Barik
2009-09-01, 10:10 AM
Thx, d8 does make more sense I suppose

Person_Man
2009-09-01, 10:20 AM
The Combat Panache feat let's you play dead. You may wish to look it up and steal it's wording.

Jair Barik
2009-09-01, 10:29 AM
I don't have the splat book its from. For now I think I'll leave it as is, it makes sense to me

The Neoclassic
2009-09-01, 10:44 AM
I don't have the splat book its from. For now I think I'll leave it as is, it makes sense to me

Also, stealing wording from non-SRD materials is technically plagurism, I believe.

A border watcher of level two or more may play dead as a response to any damage that would drop them below 0 Hp. They are treated as though they had the Diehard feat but in addition to its regular abilities may drop to the ground, slowing their breathing and feigning death. By making an opposed bluff check to the opponents spot check they can appear dead. Their wounds grant +2 circumstance modifier to this check. If the Border Watcher makes any actions in this state they instantly fail their bluff check. Should the need arise a border watcher can make a sneak attack from this position, but suffers all the penalties associated with being prone.

A border watcher of second level or higher may, when he would usually be knocked unconscious (below 0 hp but not dead), instead play dead. He is treated as if he had the Diehard feat but looks to the unaware as if he has been killed. He falls to the ground, apparently lifelessly, and his breathing slows. An opponent may make a Spot check to detect the true state of the border watcher. This check is opposed to a Bluff check with a +2 circumstance bonus by the border watcher. Any actions, such as moving, casting a spell, or eating, cause the border watcher to automatically fail his Bluff check; opponents need not make a Spot check at this point to notice his deception. The border watcher suffers all penalties associated with being prone while feigning death. He may move directly into a sneak attack from this position, but his target must be adjacent (within five feet), and the attack is a full-round action.

Also, in light of this, you might want to make Diehard a prerequisite, with this ability being just an improvement upon it. Just an idea though. :smallsmile:

Jair Barik
2009-09-01, 11:02 AM
Part of the class is that it gains endurance as a feat at lvl 1. Then at lvl 2 it gains an improved version of the diehard feat as opposed to diehard

The Neoclassic
2009-09-01, 11:04 AM
Part of the class is that it gains endurance as a feat at lvl 1. Then at lvl 2 it gains an improved version of the diehard feat as opposed to diehard

Ah, yes, and Endurance is a requirement for Diehard. Maybe move Endurance to prereq and give Diehard at level 1? Not necessary though I suppose.

I presume you didn't like my new wording? I'm curious if other folks think it's at least clearer, since that had been brought up as an issue. If you want others to use the class, you need to make sure that it makes sense to them and not just you. :smallwink:

Jair Barik
2009-09-01, 11:06 AM
Nope I'm fine with the wording either way. Yours is probably more like how wizards would say it:smallsmile:

DracoDei
2009-09-01, 11:09 AM
Diehard is also a pretty weak feat at that sort of level I believe, so NOT requiring it is probably a good thing.

Jair Barik
2009-09-01, 11:11 AM
Yeah, also I already have track as a prerequisite anyway