PDA

View Full Version : Combining SAGA and dnd to make a new medieval system

Gourtox
2009-08-30, 06:14 PM
I love how the SAGA mechanics are set up, but I want to play in a medieval setting. I don't really wanna buy or play dnd, so I decided to make a new system using most of the SAGA mechanics with some revisions and some combining of dnd. Most I can do myself and will post it here, but I've hit a block. There is one clasws that needs completely redone, the jedi. In this hombrew world there is no magic, but I need a fifth class that use CHA and WIS. I would like them to heal and be able to do damage so any help here would be helpful. Also three skills without including UTF need replaced as they don't fit the era. Mechanics, Use computer, and pilot. Mechanics I plan on changing so that it is the lockpicking/disable trap skill however since giving this to the noble would almost null the scroundrel's usefullnes I can't give it to the noble. I need skills to replace them, possibly a crafting skill. Also any other suggestions would be helpful.

A little bit of bacground.
An ancient and extreamly advanced race called the Suret spread gates and pods across the galaxy before dissapearing. Pods come in many sizes from ones that hold only ten people to ones that can fit hundreds. These Pods along with the gates are highly coveted and wars are fought over a single pod. While a few have discovered a way too make pods using a living crystal found on what is believed to be the Suret homeworld, it is a long and expensive process. The gates launch the pods into what is known as the Void. In the void controls activate and the pod can choose where to go and arrive there in a matter of minutes. Most generally whoever controls the gate controls the planet.
Some DM Info
This is set about 1,000,000 ABY. The Suret are a race extreamly skilled in the force and are the second force users. They re also extreamly advanced. Too far advanced for any of their technology to be sed by anyone here, but artifacts may be of interest to the wealthy and powerful.The first are the living crystals called Flist. Between the two races they discovered how to travel by using the force and spread its use over the planets. Then the Suret left with a large Flist to spread the gates in a distan part of the galaxy. Nobody in the game will know it though.

Current Progress: Finished Hermit Talent Tree
Working On: The other two talent trees. Any sugestions? Sniper is a bow talent tree and Animal Mastery is a animal companion talent tree

Gourtox
2009-08-30, 06:16 PM
Classes

Ranger
{table=head] Base Level | BAB | Class Features
1 | +0 | Animal Companion, Defense Bonuses, Starting Feats, Talent
2 | +1 | Bonus Feat
3 | +2 | Talent
4 | +3 | Bonus Feat
5 | +4 | Talent
6 | +5 | Bonus Feat
7 | +6 | Talent
8 | +7 | Bonus Feat
9 | +8 | Talent
10 | +9 | Bonus Feat
11 | +10 | Talent
12 | +11 | Bonus Feat
13 | +12 | Talent
14 | +13 | Bonus Feat
15 | +14| Talent
16 | +15 | Bonus Feat
17 | +16 | Talent
18 | +17 | Bonus Feat
19 | +18 | Talent
20 | +19 | Bonus Feat[/table]
Hit points
Rangers begin with 24+their Con modifier. Addingc 1d8+ Con modifier hit points after each level after first.

Defense Bonus
At first level you gain a +1 to your fortitude defense and a +2 Reflex Defense.

Starting Feats
?
Weapon Proficiency (short blades)
Weapon Proficincy (bows)
Weapon Proficiency (simple)

Animal Companion
At first level you gain an animal companion with a level equal to 3/4 your character level(level 1 at first). It only has levels in the beast class however it starts with two feats and gains a feat every 3rd level. These feats cannot be used to grant it weapon proficiencies. Also you and your animal companion will always be able to understand each other. Use standard point buy and select up to four natural weapons, 1 point in natural armor and either darkvision or scent.

Talents
At every odd level you select a talent form the following trees

Animal Mastery Talent Tree

Sniper Talent Tree

Hermit Talent Tree

Swift Movement
Hunting swift animals has made you faster. Your speed increases by two squares if you are wearing light armor or no armor. If you have a natural fly, swim, or climb speed it increases by two also.

Sudden Move
Somtimes you need to move in a hurry. Once per encounter you can move your speed as a reaction or you can spend a swift action and not provoke Attacks of Opportunities.
Prerequiste: Swift Movement

Hard living
Your speed is not reduced by difficult terrain.

Hidden Hunter
Anytime you have concealment you are given total concealment instead.
Prerequisite:Keen Sight

Keen Sight
You may reroll any Perception check, keeping reroll even if worse.

Skilled Tracker
You take no penalty to the Track use of the Survival skill when moving normal speed.
Prerequisite:Keen Sight

Thief
1 | +0 | , Defense Bonuses, Starting Feats, Talent
2 | +1 | Bonus Feat
3 | +2 | Talent
4 | +3 | Bonus Feat
5 | +4 | Talent
6 | +5 | Bonus Feat
7 | +6 | Talent
8 | +7 | Bonus Feat
9 | +8 | Talent
10 | +9 | Bonus Feat
11 | +10 | Talent
12 | +11 | Bonus Feat
13 | +12 | Talent
14 | +13 | Bonus Feat
15 | +14| Talent
16 | +15 | Bonus Feat
17 | +16 | Talent
18 | +17 | Bonus Feat
19 | +18 | Talent
20 | +19 | Bonus Feat[/table]

Hit points
Rangers begin with 18+their Con modifier. Adding 1d6+ Con modifier hit points after each level after first

Starting Feats
?

Warrior
1 | +1 | , Defense Bonuses, Starting Feats, Talent
2 | +2 | Bonus Feat
3 | +3 | Talent
4 | +4 | Bonus Feat
5 | +5 | Talent
6 | +6 | Bonus Feat
7 | +7 | Talent
8 | +8 | Bonus Feat
9 | +9 | Talent
10 | +10 | Bonus Feat
11 | +11 | Talent
12 | +12 | Bonus Feat
13 | +13 | Talent
14 | +14 | Bonus Feat
15 | +15| Talent
16 | +16 | Bonus Feat
17 | +17 | Talent
18 | +18 | Bonus Feat
19 | +19 | Talent
20 | +20 | Bonus Feat[/table]

Hit points
Rangers begin with 30+their Con modifier. Adding 1d10+ Con modifier hit points after each level after first

Starting Feats
choice of Weapon Proficiency (Hammers),
Weapon Proficiency (Swords),
or Weapon Proficiency (Axes)
Armor Proficiency (light)
Armor Proficiency (medium)

Talents
At every odd level you select a talent form the following trees

Shield Mastery Talent Tree

Shield Smash
Treat the shield as a simple weapon for the purposes of AoO. Additionly once per encounter as a move action you may smash the opponent with your shield dealing an additional 2d6 damage. If your attack roll beats the targets fortitude defense you also knock the target back 1 square for 5 points you exceed the defense(minimum 1) This movement does not provoke AoO
Prerequisite:Armor Proficiency(shields)

Armored Talent Tree

Mercenary Talent Tree

Noble

Shaman

Gourtox
2009-08-30, 06:17 PM
Reserved for future updates.

Dragon Elite
2009-08-30, 07:40 PM
A shaman? This sounds cool, I'll keep checking it.

Mythestopheles
2009-08-30, 07:52 PM
Cool idea, I like the SWSE talent trees myself.
Maybe for the Cha character you could make it a diplomat or something, with combat affecting diplomacy (Jedi-eske with different fluff). For Wis, maybe a non-magic priest (or shaman, like Dragon Elite said) with a high heal skill and healing-style talents.
Just a few ideas, feel free to use or discount them.

Knaight
2009-08-30, 09:55 PM
Some sort of diplomat-leader would work as a class. That kind of brushes up against the Noble though, if your keeping SAGA classes.

Dienekes
2009-08-30, 10:07 PM
Power trees sound interesting. I'll have to look into this, but what is this SAGA? I've heard it referenced a few times as some sort of Star Wars game.

As for a class that uses Cha and Wis and heals, basically sounds like a priest to me. Though medieval priests (on the lower town level) did do a lot of healing, they weren't extremely good at it, but then again, no one was.

Gourtox
2009-08-31, 06:12 AM
Power trees sound interesting. I'll have to look into this, but what is this SAGA? I've heard it referenced a few times as some sort of Star Wars game.

As for a class that uses Cha and Wis and heals, basically sounds like a priest to me. Though medieval priests (on the lower town level) did do a lot of healing, they weren't extremely good at it, but then again, no one was.

I had an idea last night. Instead of this being in a whole new universe it could be way back in Star Wars. Way before the jedi or anything like 20,000 BBY, but that would give me something to work with for the other class(shaman). The base class I'm thinking should be a mix between Healing, damage, and useful tricks with Priest and something else being PrCs.

Yora
2009-08-31, 06:22 AM
I only had a short look at it, but doesn't 4E use a great deal of the Saga rules? Like Defenses, Encounter/Force Powers, and Talent Trees?

Frog Dragon
2009-08-31, 08:40 AM
It has talents, but to me it seems very 3.5:ey. No encounter/Daily/At will powers set-up or anything like that.

Violet Octopus
2009-08-31, 10:14 AM
There is one clasws that needs completely redone, the jedi. In this hombrew world there is no magic, but I need a fifth class that use CHA and WIS. I would like them to heal and be able to do damage so any help here would be helpful.

By "no magic", do you mean "no flashy magic" or "not even alchemy, potions that do much more than treat disease, etc"?

If the latter, then is there much need for a 5th class? Nobles and Scoundrels use Cha for social skills, and Wis is used for perception. The only force powers that heal drain the user, unless they spend a force point, which are limited to only a few a level.

The impression I have of SAGA (admittedly I don't know much about optimisation) is that most healing is medpacs, the Heal skill, second wind and resting, with a Jedi using vital transfer as a last resort, if they even know it.

Gourtox
2009-08-31, 07:43 PM
Update: Added more background, some notes to the DM, Finished the Hermit talent tree.

Also the shamen is someone who will use the force to change what ias around them. They however believe that they are tapping into the power of elementals. Future PrCs are priest(healing) and elementalist(damage). As to the fact that healing is done by second winds and the medical skill, that has always bothered me. There is no way to really do long missions. The Shamen will fix that.

Gourtox
2009-09-04, 05:42 PM
This isn't dead I'm still working on this. Why has the activity died? Any suggestions or ideas?