PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder Campaign Path] Assault on Jorgenfist(Potential Spoilers)

SmileyX
2009-08-30, 07:46 PM
Right so my party has been playing through the Pathfinder Campaign Setting, pretty much unmodified except for a few stupid encounters that would have utterly destroyed us, so far we've lost 1 character to drowning/cliff, 1 to retirement, and 1 to a Lamia Matriarch. We've gotten up to the point where we are assaulting Jorgenfist the fortress, in the Fortress of the Giants module. Its at this point that the DM decided that the standard number of Giants in the fortress was sad, and so we are now fighting a 1811 strong force composed mostly of Stone Giants, and the current plan is a suicidal head on assault.(This is just the army outside)

Couple of special notes, we use A LOT of house rules, and A LOT of homebrew content, a large portion being from Fax actually. If something seems off in the character sheets, please note that chances are its correct with our house rules. We are using Gestalt.

Oh Also as a another note, we have a 'Save Point' before this stupid head on assault. :smallbiggrin:

The Us:

A Dread Necro 10(modified a bit)//Warlock 10, Phrenic Goblin(Fax's version)(Me)
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=138759
Note that right now most of my undead pool is being taken up by already animated skeletons, and that the DM said I could take Desecrate with Advanced Learning. The Body list isn't all with me, some is kept back at a Keep, but assume that I have close to all of the Dire Bears and Stone Giants with me(being dragged along behind my army) Oh and note i've got the party loot written on my sheet.

A Scout 3/Ranger 7(using a variant to get manoeuvres and probably a few other variants)/Ceasless Striker 1//Swordsage 11 Elf(Fax's version)
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=118378
He's our main source of raw damage, and utterly destroys most things we come across.

A Bard 10(Fax)/Marshal 1//Warlord 11(Fax) Drow(Fax)
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=138326
Our Party Face and one hell of a buffer, a backup tank. His Cohort listed below is our main tank and another buffer.

A Dragon Shaman 11//Artificer 11, Dragonborn(dwarf)
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=138554
Hes made most of our items, we pretty much ignore xp cost for most items.

The Enemy:

Our DM gave us the specific numbers because he didn't really think it would matter. Also he needs some help stating out some of the leaders and other such things.

The List
-327 Hill Giants led by a level 8 Hill Giant Fighter
-202 Ogres led by a level 6 Ogre Barbarian
-268 Ogres led by above
-114 Stone Giants led by a Level 6 Stone Giant Cleric of Minderhal
-201 Stone Giants led by a Level 8 Stone Giant Ranger
-183 Stone Giants led by a Level 5 Stone Giant Fighter
-227 Stone Giants led by a Level 9 Stone Giant Ranger
-289 Stone Giants led by a Level 14 Stone Giant Necromancer(ooooh I hate this guy, pretty much my nemesis)

The Plan:

Ummm we don't really have one, other than standing the Ranger thing on the Watch Tower(A1), having the Buffer and the his Cohort charging with most of my army, and me assassinating some of the higher ups with my Pit Fiend Skeleton, and i'm not to comfortable about flying in solo.

The Location:

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/7900/jorgenfist.jpg

We're in the middle of some mountains, its spring, and the weather has been very nice and sunny apparently. Just to note we don't know about the tunnels in the cliff side.

Special Notes:

We have a Homunculus with a Lyre of Building, and he can use it!
I have access to Lesser Planar Binding!

Soooo we need some help figuring out what to do, we're committed to doing basically a full frontal assault, but we don't need to be completely suicidal about it.

We have no way to get outside help beyond summoning and the like.

If it matters Gralamin on these boards is the DM.

We'll be starting the battle, next Sunday September 6th.

Oh please don't reveal anything past this point in the Campaign Path to avoid spoiling us.

Soooo

Help?

Gralamin
2009-08-30, 07:49 PM
If anyone does decide to stat monster stats, just PM it to me, I'll use this place as a list of stuff that is done.

Stone Giant Necromancer 14.

Keep in mind, that the reason there is a save point is this is for fun, and not serious. If things go south, we'll loop back. If things work, we'll continue on from this.

Starbuck_II
2009-08-30, 08:03 PM
Well, you could try a suicidal bombing.

There is a spell compendruim spell that causes target to explode when killed.
Since it is likely some of your minions might die: this might at least weaken enemy forces.

But wow, that is a lot of enemy forces.

You should try to divide and conquer. Maybe go invisible (to get to a group), attack a group, and leave before being surrounded.

Shadowkeeper90
2009-08-30, 10:40 PM
I admit, this is one of our dumber ideas (well... mine really)

Divide and conquer would work over a long period of time, but we have reason to suspect that the army we're up against is going to move out soon... so we don't have any idea how much time we have.

Tehnar
2009-08-30, 10:46 PM
Couldn't you use The Dead Walk when fighting the giants to animate those that were felled. As your skeletons fall in battle just replace them with more undead minions from your slain foes. Keep mobile, keep in cover from ranged attacks and you could pull this off all day. Another option is to charge a group of giants, slay a couple, animate them, and run out, leaving your minions to slay more.

SmileyX
2009-08-30, 11:46 PM
Couldn't you use The Dead Walk when fighting the giants to animate those that were felled. As your skeletons fall in battle just replace them with more undead minions from your slain foes. Keep mobile, keep in cover from ranged attacks and you could pull this off all day. Another option is to charge a group of giants, slay a couple, animate them, and run out, leaving your minions to slay more.

Yes that is definitely a viable way of going about things, at least for awhile, but a big problem would be finding cover that wouldn't just be destroyed under a barrage of thrown boulders. Also the Wizard is very very scary, as i can't enervate him down to reasonable levels in one turn, and hes at the point where he has a 50% chance to get through my SR....... If he uses something that can even be stopped by SR, or any of my defenses. I hate fighting wizards lol.

FatR
2009-08-31, 12:12 AM
Against a force this ridiculous? You're screwed. I intend to run FotSG as-is in the near future (for, admittedly, non-gestalt party), and, IMO, unless you make enemies begave like mobs (i.e., not react to PCs attacks by raising alarm, calling reinforcements, etc), the only viable approach is stealth. Maybe stealth + hit&run.

Shadowkeeper90
2009-08-31, 12:21 AM
Yes that is definitely a viable way of going about things, at least for awhile, but a big problem would be finding cover that wouldn't just be destroyed under a barrage of thrown boulders. Also the Wizard is very very scary, as i can't enervate him down to reasonable levels in one turn, and hes at the point where he has a 50% chance to get through my SR....... If he uses something that can even be stopped by SR, or any of my defenses. I hate fighting wizards lol.

Well... staying the tower is certainly not a good idea then. Then again, that's the only source of cover I can see. Unless we hide behind the boulders they throw...

bosssmiley
2009-08-31, 09:07 AM
I know this module well, having facepalmed and re-written it for my own game. (the main problems were map size constraints in the published book, lack of variety, incomplete sections, and wonky CR calc)

My advice is to fight smart, rather than hard. The module has been designed that ploughing your way through the giants in a frontal assault will likely result in a TPK and the rapid start of the First Great Stamping Jihad against the smallfolk. Don't fight the enemy on their own terms.

Either set the factions of giants against one another (enlarge, hat of disguise/alter self, mind-affecting spells), or seek a back way in! (clue: A3-A5, A8 on your map).

Shadowkeeper90
2009-08-31, 08:21 PM
I know this module well, having facepalmed and re-written it for my own game. (the main problems were map size constraints in the published book, lack of variety, incomplete sections, and wonky CR calc)

My advice is to fight smart, rather than hard. The module has been designed that ploughing your way through the giants in a frontal assault will likely result in a TPK and the rapid start of the First Great Stamping Jihad against the smallfolk. Don't fight the enemy on their own terms.

Either set the factions of giants against one another (enlarge, hat of disguise/alter self, mind-affecting spells), or seek a back way in! (clue: A3-A5, A8 on your map).

The point of this exercise is to see whether it is even possible to win in a frontal assault (and for the fun of it, because win or lose, this is gonna be fun).
Our chances are slim (1% by the DM's reckoning), but the DM was kind enough to allow a 'save point' before this battle. If we do die (which is incredibly likely) we can go back and go about this section intelligently.
In addition, our party has not discovered sections A3-A5 as of last session.

SmileyX
2009-09-01, 12:40 AM
The point of this exercise is to see whether it is even possible to win in a frontal assault (and for the fun of it, because win or lose, this is gonna be fun).
Our chances are slim (1% by the DM's reckoning), but the DM was kind enough to allow a 'save point' before this battle. If we do die (which is incredibly likely) we can go back and go about this section intelligently.
In addition, our party has not discovered sections A3-A5 as of last session.

Yes the point is to do a frontal assault, the thing is though we don't need to be dumb lol, which is why I started this thread. The idea of trying to set the different factions against each other would indeed be an ideal aid in the overall battle. Thanks bosssmiley, for some reason the idea hadn't occurred to me before, we just need to find a way to make it work with our resources.

Any other suggestions?