PDA

View Full Version : Neverwinter Nights halp

Myrmex
2009-08-30, 11:48 PM
I just got Neverwinter Nights Diamond for 20 bucks, as I recently purchased a computer with a Windows OS, and wanted a solid D&D videogame. I was planning on playing with my friend, who also purchased a copy.

The problem is that my computer won't even see the disk. It won't see my friend's disk. My friend's more modern computer, though, reads both disks and runs the game just fine.

I looked up the problem, and apparently the closest thing I got to people having the same problem was DRM not letting them install if they had a DVD-burner. My computer has a DVDR/CD-ROM, and it's a laptop, so there's no way I'm pulling that thing out and hooking up another thingy to it.

Anyway, I emailed Atari, but I was wondering if anyone knew any workarounds or cracks or anything that would let me play the game.

Flickerdart
2009-08-31, 12:24 AM
No-CD cracks are against forum rules to discuss. Atari's forums have a fair fanbase that solves this sort of thing. If it's a common issue, you can bet they have found a way to resolve it.

factotum
2009-08-31, 01:43 AM
Silly question: can you actually read any OTHER CDs or DVDs in this drive? Because if not you might actually have a faulty drive, nothing to do with copy protection. Certainly in my experience copy protection usually prevents you running the game once you've installed it--I've never encountered one that physically stops you reading the disk before you've even installed the game!

Myrmex
2009-08-31, 01:50 AM
Silly question: can you actually read any OTHER CDs or DVDs in this drive? Because if not you might actually have a faulty drive, nothing to do with copy protection. Certainly in my experience copy protection usually prevents you running the game once you've installed it--I've never encountered one that physically stops you reading the disk before you've even installed the game!

Yeah, I can. I've installed Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and played it with no problems, as well as Myth: The Fallen Lords.

jamroar
2009-08-31, 06:23 AM
Yeah, I can. I've installed Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and played it with no problems, as well as Myth: The Fallen Lords.

Have you tried copying the installation files over from a machine that can read the DVD and installing from your hard drive? The final patch version of NWN shouldn't require the disc in the drive if you can get it installed.

Myrmex
2009-09-01, 12:26 AM
Have you tried copying the installation files over from a machine that can read the DVD and installing from your hard drive? The final patch version of NWN shouldn't require the disc in the drive if you can get it installed.

I have not. I was considering using a torrent to get the program, then using my installation codes. I will get my friend to copy the install files to his laptop next time we hang out.

Cool avatar, btw.

Crispy Dave
2009-09-01, 01:10 AM
I think if you have the CD keys you can register the game with bioware now and download the game online. Not possitive but pretty sure. Will update one I know.

edit:looks like I was wrong it just lets you store your CD keys.