PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a low level party fighting a liche (dnd 3.5)

Grifthin
2009-08-31, 02:32 AM
Alrighty then we are a party of level 6 Characters trapped in a alchemy tower. We have to battle a liche to get out. In our Party we Have:

Fallen Ork paladin (not half ork). Level 6
Dwarven Cleric level 6
Ginassi Wujen level 5
Gnome Wizard (necromancy) Level 6
Human Ranger level 6

Using detect undead and a few other spells I've found the following:

He has 10+ Hit dice.
There are 4-8 5-6 Hit dice Dwaven Defender Zombies with him.

He is in a room with the entrance coming out in the middle of it.

Does anybody here have any advice on how to tackle him ?

PinkysBrain
2009-08-31, 02:43 AM
Since you know it's a Lich you presumably know what a Lich is ... and that it has a "caster level of 11th or higher".

"Dwaven Defender Zombies" ... ehm, your DM seems to be houseruling something because this isn't how zombies work normally (a dwarf zombie is a dwarf zombie, class levels are dropped). Lets say they are CR4, that would make the encounter at least EL12 ... no hope in hell of winning. Unless there is some environmental advantage you can make use of of which the Lich is not aware. (Did the DM give you any artifacts? Is it possible to flood the room with acid? something like that.)

Otherwise, try parley.

Seffbasilisk
2009-08-31, 02:45 AM
Too many variables. Try giving a breakdown on each character.

KillianHawkeye
2009-08-31, 03:58 AM

Yeah.

Stay the hell away from him!

Johel
2009-08-31, 04:07 AM
Alrighty then we are a party of level 6 Characters trapped in a alchemy tower. We have to battle a liche to get out. In our Party we Have:

Fallen Ork paladin (not half ork). Level 6
Dwarven Cleric level 6
Ginassi Wujen level 5
Gnome Wizard (necromancy) Level 6
Human Ranger level 6

Using detect undead and a few other spells I've found the following:

He has 10+ Hit dice.
There are 4-8 5-6 Hit dice Dwaven Defender Zombies with him.

He is in a room with the entrance coming out in the middle of it.

You're in an alchemy tower.
Any material left over there ? The gnome being a necromancer and the tower being the Lich's, he should recognize some of the chemicals.

Chemicals :

can open a rift in the wall and let you get out (nitroglycerine ?).
can be usefull against the zombies (alchemical fire ?).

How much IC time do you have ?
Also, any clue about the Phylactery's location ?

Grifthin
2009-08-31, 04:37 AM
Breakdown of party members:

Cleric has Protection and earth domains - he is a Cleric of muradin, he currently has some full plate, Dwarven waraxe + Large shield. Crap ton of hitpoints.

Wujen Seems primarily specialized in Stone and Cold spells. Seems to mostly deal direct damage.

Paladin is fallen - featless Figther. I know he can carry about 500 + Pounds of stuff so he probably has some high strength, and judging from the punishment he took before we got in a high CON too. Using a Great sword.

The Ranger is using a longbow and has a Wolf companion.

I'm Playing the necromancer, Spells consist mostly of touch spells like vampiric touch, cold touch etc combined with Spectral hand. At level 6 I learned Lightning bolt and Dispel Magic. I can cast Control undead etc. I have several crossbow bolts with Explosive runes on them (7). So in a pinch I suppose we can try and pepper it with them then read them while Myself counter spells the lich stuff and the wujen + fighters and cleric pummel it.

We have a day or so to prepare for the battle, the Phylactery is on the same level opposite the lich with ALOT of udead that have very strong aura's.

What else do you guys need ?

PinkysBrain
2009-08-31, 04:47 AM
We have a day or so to prepare for the battle, the Phylactery is on the same level opposite the lich with ALOT of udead that have very strong aura's.
Seems to me you guys are supposed to steal it and then trade it for your lives.

How did you manage to find this out BTW?

Grifthin
2009-08-31, 04:51 AM
Mostly using Various divination spells.

Melamoto
2009-08-31, 04:52 AM
Slightly unrelated, but how did the Paladin fall?

Also, you obviously need to find some kinds of chemicals or tools to use, because there is no possible way to win otherwise excluding Deus ex Machina or the DM houseruling them to be weak.

Grifthin
2009-08-31, 05:09 AM
One of our companions died (the dwarf fighter from the same clan as the cleric). I'm the only evil character in the party (amulet that blocks detection of alignment). I've been basically grinding the paladins nose in how useless he is. How powerless he was, what the point of the gods are if their representitive can't even save 1 person etc. He's just basically lost faith.

Johel
2009-08-31, 05:38 AM
One of our companions died (the dwarf fighter from the same clan as the cleric). I'm the only evil character in the party (amulet that blocks detection of alignment). I've been basically grinding the paladins nose in how useless he is. How powerless he was, what the point of the gods are if their representitive can't even save 1 person etc. He's just basically lost faith.

Belkar would be proud of you.

Pika...
2009-08-31, 05:41 AM
Yeah.

Stay the hell away from him!

What he said.

I am guessing your DM might not intend for you to actually win this fight, but instead something else.

Grifthin
2009-08-31, 05:52 AM
The only problem is my character infiltrated the party with the express purpose of A: Making the paladin fall so my master can use him and B: Killing the lich. I've been instructed in no uncertain terms that we have to deal with it.

Sometimes it sucks being a evil lacky.

ooh - I do have a rod with 4 charges left of Icebolt as a lvl 10 caster.

Daefos
2009-08-31, 06:06 AM
Unfortunately, lichs are immune to cold damage, so if Icebolt is anything like what it sounds like, it won't help you.

PinkysBrain
2009-08-31, 06:10 AM
The only problem is my character infiltrated the party with the express purpose of A: Making the paladin fall so my master can use him and B: Killing the lich. I've been instructed in no uncertain terms that we have to deal with it.
So ... how powerful is your current master?

Epinephrine
2009-08-31, 06:18 AM
Well, standard anti-caster stuff could help.

Grapple?
Readied actions to disrupt casting (does the ranger have ranged combat, and does anyone have a sling and the ability to make it magical?)

It's not much, but it might help.

Pika...
2009-08-31, 06:19 AM
Readied actions to disrupt casting

A good use for the wand?

Grifthin
2009-08-31, 06:23 AM
I have no idea how powerful my master is, I've never met him face to face. But from what I can judge pretty damn powerful. WAY beyond anything my wizard is currently capable of. The ranger was also sent to entice me into the fold so to speak. She's the only one I can trust.

Thanks for the tips thus far.

Deliverance
2009-08-31, 06:25 AM

Sometimes it sucks being a evil lacky.

That's such a cool way to get rid of an uppity minion.

Master: "Your task is to infilitrate the party, make the paladin fall, oh, and, by the way, destroy an alchemist lich who could probably wipe the floor with the entire party in a few seconds flat should he bother to act, but I am sure your ingenuity will see you through."

Minion: "Urk..."

PinkysBrain
2009-08-31, 06:26 AM
I have no idea how powerful my master is, I've never met him face to face. But from what I can judge pretty damn powerful.
The same can be said for that Lich ... which is presently a much greater threat to your continued health. What's your wisdom? I'd say it has to be pretty low to take on a lich at your level :p For whatever reason you were send on a suicide mission ... you're probably just a distraction. Betray your master before he betrays you.

Michaelos
2009-08-31, 06:34 AM
The last time I saw a low level group vs undead, it ended up being easier to slice through the wall of the tower then fight all of them. Since you have control undead, Can you control some zombies and bring the tower down? While you're doing this, have everyone else be ready to attack anything that comes out. If nothing comes out, it gets a tower collapsed on it. If something comes out, They're approaching you instead of you approaching them, which should help tactically.

Kris Strife
2009-08-31, 06:39 AM
Run screaming like face cake.

elonin
2009-08-31, 06:45 AM
Control undead is a good idea. it would be better for you if the lich is a wizard instead of a cleric at least the undead will not be bolstered. Debuff spells are your friend and while yoiu didn't list it haste would help you guys out. Try to take on the zombies without the lich around, but save any buffs for the lich.

Spiryt
2009-08-31, 06:53 AM
If Lich has just minimal 11th level of caster and nothing more, it's not that bad (I think)

Or maybe that's some homebrewed lesser lich creature.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-08-31, 07:06 AM
Kobold Adept 7/Commoner 4 lich with Practiced Spellcaster. :smallbiggrin:

PinkysBrain
2009-08-31, 07:07 AM
If Lich has just minimal 11th level of caster and nothing more, it's not that bad (I think)
With that kind of level difference simple damage spells can turn into SoDs ... Cloudkill is a SoD for all of them too and liches like fighting in cloudkills.

PinkysBrain
2009-08-31, 07:11 AM
Kobold Adept 7/Commoner 4 lich with Practiced Spellcaster. :smallbiggrin:
Still has 12D6 scorching rays.

Fuzzy_Juan
2009-08-31, 07:15 AM
Ya, unless you guys are twinked out to hell, then this may be an excercise in futility to take him on face to face. If you guys can control some undead minions to help, maybe collapse part of the tower on him or his guards then you may have a small chance if he's exhausted most of his spells. However, otherwise, you guys are hosed.

And try not to grapple i think...unless you are sure that he won't touch you and render you paralyzed =/.

Grifthin
2009-08-31, 07:18 AM
Alrighty then, so operation Expeditious retreat is a go then.

Mando Knight
2009-08-31, 07:25 AM

You did 'em in the wrong order. If you have to fight a Lich at all, having a not-fallen Paladin along would have been handy. On top of being a meat shield, he'd also have the ability to actually threaten the thing in melee combat using Lay on Hands and Smite Evil.

CapnVan
2009-08-31, 07:33 AM
I'm Playing the necromancer, Spells consist mostly of touch spells like vampiric touch, cold touch etc combined with Spectral hand. At level 6 I learned Lightning bolt and Dispel Magic. I can cast Control undead etc. I have several crossbow bolts with Explosive runes on them (7). So in a pinch I suppose we can try and pepper it with them then read them while Myself counter spells the lich stuff and the wujen + fighters and cleric pummel it.

Lightning Bolt is useless - the lich is immune to electricity. Dispel might be helpful, but keep in mind you'll be making your check against a caster with at least 5 caster levels more than you.

To echo an earlier post, something very off is going on, because you're looking at a minimum CR12 encounter. The DMG xp table doesn't include info for encounters that are more than 7 levels apart, specifically because, under normal play, there's no way the PCs could prevail.

At minimum, an Wiz11 lich has access to Globe of Invulnerability, which would make him immune to any spell your group has access to. Plus cloudkill, feeblemind (aimed right at you, obvious caster), Evard's black tentacles, etc.

Parley? :smalleek:

Johel
2009-08-31, 07:43 AM
Control undead is a good idea. it would be better for you if the lich is a wizard instead of a cleric at least the undead will not be bolstered. Debuff spells are your friend and while yoiu didn't list it haste would help you guys out. Try to take on the zombies without the lich around, but save any buffs for the lich.

Would "Control Undead" work on a Lich ?
Not in this specific case, I'm just curious.

Dracons
2009-08-31, 07:47 AM
Would "Control Undead" work on a Lich ?
Not in this specific case, I'm just curious.

It would. Assuming he failed the save. But it only lasts a few minutes, and intelligent undead /remember/ being controlled.

But isnt control undead like, seventh level?

vampire2948
2009-08-31, 07:48 AM
Actually, there is a ritual in a 3.0 WotC sourcebook which allows you to create a lich of any level.

Therefore, the lich could potentially be lower than 11th caster level.

Destroying the lich could still be a little tough. Especially without disrupting weaponry. (4th level cleric spell)

I suggest you go ahead with your expeditious retreat plan, and then come back in a level or two when you've more XP and spells and such.
Possibly try to tempt your Ex-Paladin with blackguard levels? Convert him to your master? That kinda thing?

EDIT - Ask to serve the Lich, then backstab later?

bosssmiley
2009-08-31, 08:41 AM
The Lich is a full caster (i.e.: wins D&D) with special qualities that obviate some of the weaknesses of the traditional full caster. If the Lich is played with even a modicum of tactical ability by your DM expect a TPK. Anything less than that is a bonus. :smallwink:

You might want to look up the old "Van Richten's Guide to the Lich" for Ravenloft. Pray your DM hasn't read the tactical advice therein.