PDA

View Full Version : Monk Sorcerer Equipment [3.5]

Totally Guy
2009-08-31, 03:31 AM
I've just reached Monk 2/Sorcerer 1 with my touch attack delivering Gish (the party will be so surprised when I reveal that I can cast spells now).

Anyway the DM handed out the first loot ever last session and the others were all pleased to finally get items but I couldn't think of anything I'd use so I took the share of the buff potions.

What sort of items should I be on the look out for at these levels?

PinkysBrain
2009-08-31, 03:39 AM
For the moment anything that boosts your AC and attacks, you're still primarily melee. In the future when you have some buff spells perhaps a lesser metamagic rod of extend. (Do you have practiced spellcaster?)

Going to go for the enlightened fist prestige class?

Totally Guy
2009-08-31, 03:45 AM
(Do you have practiced spellcaster?)

Going to go for the enlightened fist prestige class?

Practiced spellcaster: When I hit level 6... (I can't have practiced before I even knew I could cast spells, technically he still doesn't know...)

Enlightened Fist: Yes, going for it.

The issue I've got is that I don't know what does increase my to-hit.

Keld Denar
2009-08-31, 05:36 AM
That you can afford? Not much. An Amulet of Natural Attacks would be 2k gold, just on the far end of your WBL. 4000g would net you your choice of +2 Str, Dex, or Wis, depending on what stat you use to attack with. Beyond that, there is stuff like a Luckstone and the competance bonus IWIN stone, but those are really expensive. Any chance you can hire a level 3 bard or so to shadow you and sing about how awesome you are? Cause that could very easily net you +5 for almost no cash. (Base +1, +1 SotH, +1 Insp Boost, +1 Badge of Valor, +1 MW Insrument= +5)

Dunno how much cash a level 3 bard would cost per day, but garunteed you could probably get a whole year of adventuring out of it before you'd pay off an IWIN stone, and the bard gives 5x the bonus!

Master_Rahl22
2009-08-31, 09:20 AM
If I were you, I'd totally be on the lookout for stat boosting items. As a Monk, you need Str for damage/attacks, Dex for AC/attacks/Ref, Con for HP/Fort, and Wis for AC/Will. As a Sorc you need Con for HP/Fort and Cha for your spells. This leaves Int as your only dump stat.

Having played self-buffing gishes before, you will definitely want a metamagic rod of extend or some other way to make your buffs last a long time. As for delivering touch attacks, I don't know of anything off hand that could help that other than stuff that will boost your attacks and general spellcasting ability.

PinkysBrain
2009-08-31, 09:48 AM
I can't have practiced before I even knew I could cast spells, technically he still doesn't know...
Just ignore the name of the feat, it's just something on your character sheet ... it's not in-game knowledge. Just see it as an inherent quality of your character which makes him superior when learning magic ... by the rules you can take the feat at the same level as your first class level of sorcerer.

Eldariel
2009-08-31, 10:22 AM
Necklace of Natural Attacks +1 - by far the most affordable weapon pump. Since Fists cannot be Mw. you benefit of it more than practically anyone else. It's in 2300 range IIRC. It's from Savage Species, and it's truly the only reasonable Monk weapon pump; as your DM for it.

Mongoose87
2009-08-31, 10:39 AM
Don't forget to take the Ascetic mage feat!

Leon
2009-08-31, 11:38 AM
See about getting it put toward some Buff Spell wands (Armour, Stats, etc)

Sir Giacomo
2009-08-31, 03:15 PM
Wands offer the best bargains at those levels, cheaper than potions (for some low-level core buffs and items see the guide in my sig).

A good way to get a low-level "to hit" buff is a bead of prayer for 600gp (bless 1/day).

Also, highly useful for a non-core monk is to get a way to move and do a full attack/flurry (a cheap item does this in fact: magic item compendium p.86: chronocharm of horizon walker, iirc it costs below 1000 gp. Get several of those to do it more than 1/day).

- Giacomo

Signmaker
2009-08-31, 03:17 PM
Also, highly useful for a non-core monk is to get a way to move and do a full attack/flurry (a cheap item does this in fact: magic item compendium p.86: chronocharm of horizon walker, iirc it costs below 1000 gp. Get several of those to do it more than 1/day).

- Giacomo

While I know that Chronocharms can take up the same throat slot without price modification, can you really stack several of the same type of charm like that?

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-08-31, 03:19 PM
If you just take them off and put on a new one in rapid succession, it would work. /unless there's an entry specifically stating that you only benefit from such an effect once per day.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-08-31, 03:20 PM
Not an unreasonable house rule.

But it might be practically limited to 1/combat, depending on how many actions it takes to remove and replace.

Flickerdart
2009-08-31, 03:32 PM
It should reasonably be a move action to replace a necklace with another necklace.

You'll definitely want stat boosting items. Grab Weapon Finesse/Intuitive Attack since you'll be touch attacking which doesn't require STR. Bracers of Armor or Amulets of Natural Armor won't hurt either, as they will protect your squishy face from eating axe.

Eldariel
2009-08-31, 03:33 PM
If you just take them off and put on a new one in rapid succession, it would work. /unless there's an entry specifically stating that you only benefit from such an effect once per day.

You need to wear 'em for 24 hours. They cost 750gp.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-08-31, 03:34 PM
Ah, then I suppose that's not a very good strategy.

Cieyrin
2009-08-31, 07:35 PM
You need to wear 'em for 24 hours. They cost 750gp.

That's just a time requirement to be able to use it at all, not whether you can use more than one of the same Chronocharm in a day, provided you have 'em all on the same necklace. I know the Chronocharm text says you can have multiple chronocharms on the same amulet chain but the question is if they have to be all different charms or can they all be Chronocharms of the Horizon Walker?

olentu
2009-08-31, 07:50 PM
That's just a time requirement to be able to use it at all, not whether you can use more than one of the same Chronocharm in a day, provided you have 'em all on the same necklace. I know the Chronocharm text says you can have multiple chronocharms on the same amulet chain but the question is if they have to be all different charms or can they all be Chronocharms of the Horizon Walker?

The magic item compendium says that you can't wear more then one of the same chronocharm.

Eldariel
2009-08-31, 07:54 PM

I was answering Pharaoh's suggestion. That said, see olentu's post.

Lycanthromancer
2009-08-31, 11:16 PM
Is sorcerer set in stone? Take psychic warrior instead and grab the Talashtora feat, and you'll have a much better gish with your monk dip.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-09-01, 12:34 AM
Don't forget Ascetic Mage feat to key AC off of Charisma and a few other monk/sorcerer synergies. Same for Improved Natural Attack. If you plan on doing lots of touch attacks, and your Dex is significantly higher than your Str, consider Weapon Finesse.

When you can afford it, Monk's Belt will be required, as will Cloak of Charisma.

Wand of Mage Armor will be very handy, so you won't need to blow a Spell Known on it. Wand of Grease will also be exceedingly handy, if it isn't one of your spells known.

Shocking Grasp and Touch of Fatigue are two good touch attack spells at this level, although Shocking Grasp wanes rapidly. You're getting high enough character levels that most CR-appropriate encounters you will face are going have too many HD for Sleep to be effective anymore, so don't bother with it

Totally Guy
2009-09-01, 06:35 AM
Don't forget Ascetic Mage feat to key AC off of Charisma and a few other monk/sorcerer synergies.

When I get my next feat I won't qualify for it.:smallfrown: That's a longer wait than I wanted. Oh well, practiced spellcaster can come next (6). Just got weapon finesse (3).

I've sucked for a little while now, dumping wisdom and strength kind of has that effect. But I've built many terrible characters so it's not out of character for me.

Now that I've been told about the Amulet of Mighty Fists my fears of never hitting have been somewhat quashed. It's like a +1 sword but for your whole body!

PinkysBrain
2009-09-01, 06:59 AM
Is sorcerer set in stone? Take psychic warrior instead and grab the Talashtora feat, and you'll have a much better gish with your monk dip.
Hmm? Enlightened fist is an excellent prestige class.

Totally Guy
2009-09-01, 07:04 AM

We have one of them already. My rival within the party. I'll outshine him at something some day...

We were told core base classes only. And he showed up with a Psychic warrior. We'd never heard of it before, this player is usally the DM and he always bans psionics so it must be good.