PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorming Thread: Mastermind class

Lysander
2009-08-31, 10:02 AM
I want to write up a class based on this concept and I'd like your feedback and ideas. Here's the idea: The Mastermind.

The supernatural genius coordinating the party. Poor fighting. Few hitpoints. Lots of buff spells and healing magic, but only usable on the party (or other allies).

Here's how it works. Each morning a Mastermind would attune to a person, forming a mental bond. The bond would act something like Greater Status, allowing the mastermind to sense their condition and cast spells over the link. The only people the Mastermind can target with their spells are people they're linked with, and themselves. They'd be able to transfer the bond to another person but it would take 10 minutes of meditation with them.

As a Mastermind progresses in level they'd be able to attune to a greater number of people at one time, and the metal bond would improve. By level 20 the entire party would be in perpetual telepathic communication, the mastermind would be able to view the world through the senses of each person in the bond, and have lots of powerful spells to use on each person no matter where they are. Their attack spells would all be indirect. For example, perhaps they'd be able to cast True Strike but give the benefit to the person of their choice.

The Mastermind eventually becomes the tactical coordinator of the group, giving each person directives and healing and buffing them all from a range.

Specifics are hazy right now but I'm thinking the Mastermind should start with 2 bonds at a time and max out at 10. With most parties that would leave several spare bonds to use on any npc allies they encounter. I'm also thinking they should get a raven familiar because, hey, if they can bond with ten people at once having a pet isn't too much to ask for and having an aerial view just feels right for them.

Thoughts?

Iferus
2009-08-31, 10:13 AM
I think you should have a look at the Society Mind by Dreamscarred Press. It is psionic, and it is almost exactly what you just described.

DracoDei
2009-08-31, 10:20 AM
How long the range is becomes very important. Each of the following options gives a very different feel:

30 feet back with LOS
Around a corner.
Back at camp.
At homebase.

EDIT: You MIGHT try my unfinished "Benign Controller" PrC for ideas, but that is more about granting weapon proficiencies and skill ranks than buff spells.

Myou
2009-08-31, 10:52 AM
You could just play a wizard. :smalltongue: