PDA

View Full Version : Buying Items for my Bard...

Ranis
2009-08-31, 10:52 AM
My Bard10/Seeker of the Song4 just hit 14th level and got 4 levels of loot at the same time on top of our DM finding out that all of our characters were approximately 100,000 gold under what we should have had as far as magic items go. So, we got lots of items and loot varying by person, and I got just under 60,000GP.

So, I find myself wanting to stock myself up with useful magic items and the like. My Seeker of the Song stuff lets me be pretty blasty, and with the Extra Music being my only feat, I have more than plenty uses of Bardic Music to expend; what I need to get now are some things that complement my already numerous bardic talents.

I have most of my item slots filled, the only one that can't really be replaced is my armor and my hat, which gives me +2 charisma. I've been looking at wands and/or staffs to buy, to give me extra damage when I need it and extra utility for when we need it as well. We have a cleric in the party and other than that, we have no arcane caster other than me.

So I'm looking for suggestions toward wands, staffs, and any other magic item I can buy for my bard with a 60,000GP budget. Any suggestions would be most appreciative.

PS: If you could give me the books where items or spells are found, that would be fantastic. Thanks.

deuxhero
2009-08-31, 11:13 AM
A couple of wands of Cure light wounds (don't think lesser vigor is on the bard's spell list, but if you can UMD it, go for that instead). Best GP/HP ratio out there without charges per day items.

Try a few runestaffs (MIC, they are also in the preview if someone can link to it) for better batman ability.

Johanas
2009-08-31, 11:25 AM
Personally, I absolutly love the Fochlucan Bandore from the Complete Adventurer. 1900 GP for a masterwork lute. It gives bonuses to bardic music, lets you use a couple cantrips, very nice all around. That, and a harmonizing weapon. All this allows you to still throw up your bardic music, and focus on spell casting. Even if you are never a music focused bard, harmonizing is so good. I want to say harmonizing is in the DMG, but I honestly don't know for sure.

Ranis
2009-08-31, 11:25 AM
I can't really utilize Runestaffs because I only have up to 4th-level spell slots. I have a wand of cure light and a wand of cure moderate, on top of now being able to heal people with perform checks from Seeker of the Song, (on top of having a Radiant Servant of Pelor) healing is no problem at all.

I also have a Harmonizing Songblade and a harp out of MIC that gives allies regeneration 3 while I'm singing a Bardic Music song.

Johanas
2009-08-31, 11:26 AM
oooo, and a metamagic rod or two. DMG, loads of fun. Allows you to use metamagic without extending the spell cast time, or increasing the spell level 3/day. very nice.

Cieyrin
2009-08-31, 11:33 AM
Looking at Core, a Bronze Horn of Valhalla would probably be up your alley. A +2 Tome of Leadership and Influence is not out of line, either. There are the spontaneous caster equivalent of Pearls of Power in Races of the Dragon, I believe, which'll help with your general spellcasting, as I'm all too aware that 3/4 casters can be a little gimped at times for spells.

Random832
2009-08-31, 11:46 AM
oooo, and a metamagic rod or two. DMG, loads of fun. Allows you to use metamagic without extending the spell cast time,

Though oddly it does still extend the casting time for sorcerers. Which is kind of stupid, you'd think if it were intended to still have this limitation that it would apply to everyone (with the benefit being "don't have to have the feat" and "no increased spell level" - and "[wizards] don't have to prepare it with the MM baked in" of course)

Keld Denar
2009-08-31, 02:02 PM
The workaround to that is the Circlet of Rapid Casting (MIC). It lets you ping off a few extra low level spells per day in a pretty spectactular fasion! Then there is the standard stuff. +Con/Cha/Resistance gear to keep you in good shape and not dead. I like Anklets of Translocation (MIC) to get out of troubling places, so 2-3 pairs of those are prudent. Dirt cheap too. I dunno what your 2nd level spells are, but if you have Whirling Blade (SpC), a nice item is a +1 Sudden Stunning (DMGII) slashing weapon. You can WB it out to 60' and it attacks as if in melee, and then you can activate Sudden Stunning to disable it from a distance. Its Ref based, so it works nicely on larger creatures and the DC scales with your character level. If its a Crystal Echoblade, even better!

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-08-31, 02:05 PM
Looking at Core, a Bronze Horn of Valhalla would probably be up your alley.
Horribly overpriced.

Melamoto
2009-08-31, 02:11 PM
Step 1: Buy a small Masterwork Pipe Organ (Make sure to get skill points for it; try asking the DM for retraining).
Step 2: Permanent Shrink Item with the power to control size in your hands.
Step 3: Carry it around and deshrink it in battle so that you can have a Pipe Organ wherever you go.
Step 4: Bask in the glory of easily being able make the perform checks required to run 3 Bardic Music effects at once; mix with Combine Songs for fun times. The only downside is you don't get to use the Refrain's of all of the effects running.

Source: Song and Silence.

Keld Denar
2009-08-31, 02:24 PM
Well hell...if you are gonna go with the silliness that is Pipe Organ (and Song and Silence), go with an Alphorn. This lets you affect creatures out to a MILE! They still gotta see you, but yea...

Ranis
2009-08-31, 02:25 PM
The workaround to that is the Circlet of Rapid Casting (MIC). It lets you ping off a few extra low level spells per day in a pretty spectactular fasion! Then there is the standard stuff. +Con/Cha/Resistance gear to keep you in good shape and not dead. I like Anklets of Translocation (MIC) to get out of troubling places, so 2-3 pairs of those are prudent. Dirt cheap too. I dunno what your 2nd level spells are, but if you have Whirling Blade (SpC), a nice item is a +1 Sudden Stunning (DMGII) slashing weapon. You can WB it out to 60' and it attacks as if in melee, and then you can activate Sudden Stunning to disable it from a distance. Its Ref based, so it works nicely on larger creatures and the DC scales with your character level. If its a Crystal Echoblade, even better!

This is a great idea, but the Sudden Stunning activation requires a swift action, and I will have zero of those every round; my swift actions are always tied up with Seeker of the Song stuff. Anything I can do that doesn't involve swift actions is ideal.

Step 1: Buy a small Masterwork Pipe Organ (Make sure to get skill points for it; try asking the DM for retraining).
Step 2: Permanent Shrink Item with the power to control size in your hands.
Step 3: Carry it around and deshrink it in battle so that you can have a Pipe Organ wherever you go.
Step 4: Bask in the glory of easily being able make the perform checks required to run 3 Bardic Music effects at once; mix with Combine Songs for fun times. The only downside is you don't get to use the Refrain's of all of the effects running.

Source: Song and Silence.

Song and Silence, eh? Don't know if my DM will allow it, but I'll take a look.

Cieyrin
2009-08-31, 05:20 PM
Horribly overpriced.

Y'know, looking at it again, you'd think they'd have tiered the prices like Necklaces of Fireballs and Bags of Holding. Why in the hell didn't they differentiate the different horn costs?!?:smalleek: