PDA

View Full Version : Why are people FLOATING in panel 1??

Vaarsuvius4181
2009-08-31, 11:14 AM
Q says it all.

Starbuck_II
2009-08-31, 11:16 AM
I think that is them walking on the desert not flying.

Ariko
2009-08-31, 11:17 AM
They aren't. It's sand that I believe you are mistaking for sky.

Acero
2009-08-31, 11:17 AM
I think that is them walking on the desert not flying.

good job. but what i dont know is, why don't they just follow the trail of people?

Herald Alberich
2009-08-31, 12:08 PM
good job. but what i dont know is, why don't they just follow the trail of people?

If by "they" you mean the Order, they have to buy supplies for a desert journey first, as Roy says. Also, since the gate is hidden, it's vastly unlikely that the line of people is going anywhere near it. They'll have to find it on their own.

Ron Miel
2009-08-31, 12:11 PM
I don't know what you mean by that. Who isn't following the line of people?

Actually, I'm not sure that line is people. I think it's a line of marker stones, or posts, or something. And there's a couple of people following the line.

factotum
2009-08-31, 12:21 PM

Er, why? How do you know that trail of people is going anywhere near where OotS needs to go?

JonahFalcon
2009-08-31, 12:23 PM
A Wizard Did it (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AWizardDidIt)

Kish
2009-08-31, 12:46 PM
Because their objective is to find Girard's Gate, not the nearest major population zone?

Vaarsuvius4181
2009-08-31, 08:41 PM
No one is getting me. The line of floating ppl in the desert. Why are they floating?

NOT the order. The line in panel 1.

Mando Knight
2009-08-31, 08:45 PM
They aren't floating.

Linkavitch
2009-08-31, 09:12 PM
At V4181: What you are mistaking for sky is actually the desert itself. they are walking on the sand which happens to be a pecuiliarly close color to the actual sky.

At Ron Meil: unless the entire town is full of marker stones, I don't think the objects in question are marker stones. (At least not all of them.)

Green-Shirt Q
2009-08-31, 09:29 PM
Q says it all.

Whuh? Who called my name? :smallconfused:

NerfTW
2009-08-31, 10:21 PM
No one is getting me. The line of floating ppl in the desert. Why are they floating?

The city is built on rock. It's called "Sandsedge", obviously. Just outside the gate, there's the sand. One assumes the walls keep the sand out, because shifting sands can bury a town if left unchecked.

Optimystik
2009-08-31, 10:24 PM

We all get you, what we don't get is how you can't tell sand from sky. :smalltongue:

Zordrath
2009-09-01, 07:04 AM
I'm more irritated by how that wall looks like it doesn't have a gate and the people are just passing through it.

timoteob
2009-09-01, 08:05 AM
What I don't understand is why people are lining up for miles in the hot desert sun.

Zordrath
2009-09-01, 08:50 AM
From what Roy said, Sandsedge is a highly important hub of trade activity that apparently attracts a constant influx of people.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-09-01, 09:23 AM
*headdesks*

Cizak
2009-09-01, 09:49 AM

Everyone is getting you. You aren't getting our explanation that it's not sky, it's sand. They are walking, not floating.

timoteob
2009-09-01, 10:49 AM
From what Roy said, Sandsedge is a highly important hub of trade activity that apparently attracts a constant influx of people.

That makes sense and it is what I assumed, but it does not completely explain the line. Sure Sandsedge attracts many people, but what is slowing them down at the entrance? Security check point? Small entrance gate? And why only one entrance?

I know I am over analyzing a small detail, but it just seems odd to me.

quicker_comment
2009-09-01, 11:16 AM
I assumed that was a single caravan arriving. It does look very long, though -- possibly it could be something like a group of refugees rather than a regular trading caravan.

NerfTW
2009-09-01, 11:30 AM
What I don't understand is why people are lining up for miles in the hot desert sun.

Caravans can be miles long in the desert. The whole tribe/village/group of nomads simply get up and walk from trading post to trading post for supplies. And it makes far more sense to walk in a narrow line, because those in front are packing down the sand for those in the back. (Ever walked on the dry sand at the beach before? It's not pleasant for long trips) It also helps prevent them from walking in a giant circle. If you see the backside of your own caravan, somethings wrong.

And since it's a major hub, it might just be people going in both directions.

One Skunk Todd
2009-09-01, 11:51 AM
And why only one entrance?

To make sure they pay taxes?

Herald Alberich
2009-09-01, 11:58 AM
I'm more irritated by how that wall looks like it doesn't have a gate and the people are just passing through it.

There's a gate. It's really tiny hole in the wall, just a dark mark next to one of the orange heads, but it's there.

What I don't understand is why everyone thinks all those people are just standing still instead of traveling both towards and away from the town.

edit: Ninja'd on that point. I need to remember to refresh after I open a tab and come back to it later.

Pyron
2009-09-01, 11:58 AM
Q says it all.

That's because the entire town of Sandsedge is an illusion.

The Order of the Stick are actually at Girard's Gate. They just don't realize it. :smalltongue:

timoteob
2009-09-01, 01:11 PM
Caravans can be miles long in the desert. The whole tribe/village/group of nomads simply get up and walk from trading post to trading post for supplies. And it makes far more sense to walk in a narrow line, because those in front are packing down the sand for those in the back. (Ever walked on the dry sand at the beach before? It's not pleasant for long trips) It also helps prevent them from walking in a giant circle. If you see the backside of your own caravan, somethings wrong.

And since it's a major hub, it might just be people going in both directions.

To make sure they pay taxes?

Both these ideas make some sense!:smallsmile:

Darkroot
2009-09-01, 01:31 PM
That's because the entire town of Sandsedge is an illusion.

The Order of the Stick are actually at Girard's Gate. They just don't realize it. :smalltongue:

You know, I really wouldn't put that past Rich, one of *whoever guard's this gate*'s illusions forming the basis for a town. Could be fun... Although I still want a desert templey pyramidy thingy, we need a good old-fasioned dungeon crawl full of mind-bending illusions.

NerfTW
2009-09-01, 04:13 PM
That makes sense and it is what I assumed, but it does not completely explain the line. Sure Sandsedge attracts many people, but what is slowing them down at the entrance? Security check point? Small entrance gate? And why only one entrance?

I know I am over analyzing a small detail, but it just seems odd to me.

The other side doesn't have a wall. Presumably, it opens onto the river or ocean. As I pointed out, the wall is there to keep sand out, so they'd have to come in one or several gates, since just having a wide open settlement would result in sand blowing in and burying your goods.

And really, it's not a guess. Mile long caravans heading into port towns were a real and common sight, for the exact reasons I mentioned. Nomads move the ENTIRE village when they go to trade, and it is safer to walk in a narrow line to avoid chaos and keep a steady course.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-09-01, 06:59 PM
The line has been explained, but I'm wondering about the "hot desert sun" aspect myself.

The sky is a shade of orange that in most places indicates a nearness to sunrise or sunset. This would, in turn make the temperature a bit cooler.

Now, I understand that a desert may have a few more things going for it that affect the color of the sky. Furthermore, I lack the relevant first-hand experience to know when a desert sky will change color relative to more humid environs. But I don't think I've heard anything or seen a picture that indicates an orange desert sky while the sun is at its peak. Short of perhaps a sandstorm, which doesn't appear to be the case in this comic. Anyone who knows better, please correct me if I am wrong.

So I don't think anyone's out in the hot desert sun.

AlexanderRM
2009-09-01, 08:29 PM
I'm personally a bit skeptical about the single line of people all going to/coming from the same place thing, but maybe it is a caravan or w/e.

Ozymandias9
2009-09-01, 10:29 PM
I'm personally a bit skeptical about the single line of people all going to/coming from the same place thing, but maybe it is a caravan or w/e.

Travel through a sandy desert, particularly without many features to serve as landmarks, was traditionally done by caravan. The shifting sands prevented permanent roads, and not everyone would have significant enough navigation skills to travel in small groups. Chinese caravans traditionally did travel in single file, whereas near eastern caravans would usually travel a few camels wide (except at the very front, where it trickled down to one leading).

Herald Alberich
2009-09-02, 12:41 PM
The line has been explained, but I'm wondering about the "hot desert sun" aspect myself.

The sky is a shade of orange that in most places indicates a nearness to sunrise or sunset. This would, in turn make the temperature a bit cooler.

Now, I understand that a desert may have a few more things going for it that affect the color of the sky. Furthermore, I lack the relevant first-hand experience to know when a desert sky will change color relative to more humid environs. But I don't think I've heard anything or seen a picture that indicates an orange desert sky while the sun is at its peak. Short of perhaps a sandstorm, which doesn't appear to be the case in this comic. Anyone who knows better, please correct me if I am wrong.

So I don't think anyone's out in the hot desert sun.

Based on how the sky's laid out in 672, I think it's simply a visual convention that the Great Barren Desert is permanently hazy, just because (out-of-universe) that's how Rich wants it to look. We've had plenty of blue and green; now we're in a desert and need brown and tan.

You're right, though; during the day, a desert normally features blindingly clear blue skies (it's one of the reasons the blue dragons are desert dwellers). An in-universe reason for this one being different could take some work. Perhaps, in addition to the frequent sandstorms and high winds hinted at by Durkon, there is a constant low-level wind always kicking sand into the air. The sand might be unusually fine to facilitate this.

NerfTW
2009-09-02, 02:43 PM
There could have been a sandstorm or just a lot of wind recently. Remember, a red sky means that there's a lot of pollution/dust blocking certain wavelengths of light.

And on the caravan thing, even though nobody seems to be reading the many explanations offered, could people maybe LOOK UP ACTUAL HISTORICAL CARAVANS (You're on the internet, people!) BEFORE SAYING YOU DON'T THINK IT'S REALISTIC?!?!