PDA

View Full Version : Feat Question?

Ceridan
2009-08-31, 01:46 PM
I seem to remember there was a Feat that gave access to a domain of your choice. In what book would I find this feat and what are it's prerequisites?

Fax Celestis
2009-08-31, 01:49 PM
Bonus Domain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#bonusDomain) is an epic feat.

Kylarra
2009-08-31, 01:50 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#bonusDomain

epic, Wis 21, and 9th level divine spells

edit: Bah ninja'd

kamikasei
2009-08-31, 01:57 PM
You may also be thinking of Arcane Disciple from Complete Divine, which adds a domain's spells to your class list.

Ceridan
2009-08-31, 02:52 PM
You may also be thinking of Arcane Disciple from Complete Divine, which adds a domain's spells to your class list.

Yes, I do believe that is the one I seek. Does it have any prerequisites?

Optimystik
2009-08-31, 03:07 PM
Yes, I do believe that is the one I seek. Does it have any prerequisites?

K. Religion 4 ranks
Spellcraft 4 ranks
Arcane spells
Alignment must match deity's

That's it, I think. Oh, and once you pick a deity for this, you're "locked in" and can only choose from that deity's domains if you take it again.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-08-31, 03:14 PM
Can you combine Arcane Disciple (Healing) with Spontaneous Healing and become a half-decent/mediocre secondary healer?

Superglucose
2009-08-31, 03:21 PM
Is it worth it as an epic feat? Would you think it would be broken to take as a non-epic feat?

Ernir
2009-08-31, 03:34 PM
Is it worth it as an epic feat? Would you think it would be broken to take as a non-epic feat?

Just the granted power alone is usually considered to be the rough equivalent of a Feat. So yes, I think it's too much to get the whole domain for a feat.

A feat combo might be in order. Something like this?

Obtain Granted Power

Prerequisite: Cleric level 1st.
Benefit: Choose a domain of your deity. You gain that domain's granted power. Clerics not devoted to a deity choose a philosophically aligned domain.

Obtain Domain Casting

Prerequisite: Obtain Granted Power for the domain in question.
Benefit: You gain the spellcasting abilities of the domain in question, allowing you to prepare that domain's spells in your domain spell slots.

Optimystik
2009-08-31, 03:35 PM

If you mean Bonus Domain, I think there are better ways of getting extra domains but this one isn't half bad. If you're playing epic the game is broken in two anyway, so why not?

If you mean Arcane Disciple, that one's not epic.

Can you combine Arcane Disciple (Healing) with Spontaneous Healing and become a half-decent/mediocre secondary healer?

The main drawback to AD (spell DCs dependent on WIS rather than the arcanist's primary stat) doesn't really apply to healing spells, so I don't see why not.

Doc Roc
2009-08-31, 03:49 PM
There are also the excellent Domain Staffs in complete champion. I highly recommend them!

Voice of Reason
2009-08-31, 05:41 PM

Yes and no. Arcane disciple only allows you 1 spell from your domain per spell level per day, and spontaneous healing can be used a number of times per day total equal to your wisdom modifier. Whether you consider this mediocre is your own estimation, but I'd say that it looses it's momentum around level 5 (because 1 CLW, 1 Cure moderate, and 4 Cure serious wounds at max is still less than a cleric's spellcasting, although it does allow you to dabble with healing). Just keep in mind that if you're a half-decent healer, it also means that you're likely only doing a half-decent job of being an arcane spellcaster.

If you wanted to expand on the combo, add the Signature Spell feat a few times from the PGF, so that you can cast an unlimited number of healing spells spontaneously.

peacenlove
2009-08-31, 10:51 PM

You can use the spells to craft items based on them. A wand of cure light wounds is always handy, and if a DM is lenient, he can allow the crafting of an itemn that allows unlimited uses of it. Still only cure light wounds, heal and greater heal are worth it from there.

Darrin
2009-08-31, 11:16 PM
I seem to remember there was a Feat that gave access to a domain of your choice. In what book would I find this feat and what are it's prerequisites?

If you want just the domain power, Planer Touchstone linked to the Catalogues of Enlightenment. Prereqs are Knowledge: The Planes 8 and a touchstone item that you either have to carry with you or destroy via ritual, if you can properly parse the confusing text in the Planar Handbook.

One of the perks of the Catalogues of Enlightenment is worshipping the correct deity is *not* a prereq, so you can pick up domain powers that are normally not available due to your current race or religious preferences. Also, if the DM is cooperative, he may allow domains that are only available in other planes of existence or campaign worlds, such as Eberron/Faerun.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-01, 04:59 AM
There are also the excellent Domain Staffs in complete champion. I highly recommend them!
I'm not sure why the recommendation, as the OP wanted access to a new domain. Domain Staffs only give you access to spells that are already on your spell list, and don't give the domain granted power.
By expending a prepared divine spell or divine spell slot, the wielder can "cast" a spell of the same level or lower from the runestaffs list, as long as that spell also appears on the wielder's divine class spell list (including his domain lists, if any). Edit: It is nice that they got around to making runestaves for divine casters, though. :smallsmile: