PDA

View Full Version : Extra swift actions in a round

Melamoto
2009-08-31, 02:16 PM
This doesn't seem to make much sense to me. It's possible to expend your standard action for a move action, and there are plenty of ways to get extra move actions in a turn, and a few ways to get extra standard actions. So why is it that there is nothing in existence that will allow you to get more than 1 swift action a round? I'd happily trade my move action for a swift action, but I can't; which doesn't make much sense at all.
Anyone else thinking this, and are there actually any ways to get more swift actions in a round?

Bayar
2009-08-31, 02:19 PM
It is a subtle way of balance brought in the system :tongue:

@V: Shapeshift into a Chocker, you get an extra standard action.

Jack Zander
It's purey a balance issue, since swift actions are typically meant to be 1/round type things, but shouldn't interfere with your other actions. Two quickened spells and a normal spell would be pretty devestating. Also, plently of special abilities (Dragon Shaman Auras I beleive) would be abusable since you could switch to an aura that gives you a bonus to attack on your turn, then switch to a defensive one after you attack.

Doc Roc
Ruby Knight Vindicator, Tome of Battle. :)

Prime32
2009-08-31, 02:21 PM
Ruby Knight Vindicator can get them by expending uses of turn undead.
EDIT: Ninja'd

I guess the logic is that a swift action takes at least as long as a standard action but is a different kind of activity (possibly mental or using different parts of your body) which can be done with little effort and does not interfere with say, moving and attacking.

lsfreak
2009-08-31, 02:21 PM
Many people allow you to trade a standard action for a swift action. Many ways already allow you to do the reverse (take a standard and make it swift), so there's some precedence, and swift actions despite only taking a short amount of time tend to be rather powerful (martial boosts, quickened spells) Exchanging a move for a swift, however, is out of the question.

Talya
2009-08-31, 02:25 PM
Of course it's a different system, but SW Saga Edition allows you to take up to 3 swift actions in a round...but each swift action after the first uses up one of your other actions (move or standard, your choice). Of course, Saga Edition was designed from the start around having three actions in a round - swift, standard, move (or swift, move, move,) while D20 had swift actions pasted in as an afterthought. Also, in Saga Edition, any full round action (such as a full attack) also uses up your swift action for the round.

Starbuck_II
2009-08-31, 02:33 PM
Synads in Complete Psionics can take an extra Swift action (but can't be a spell/power). Only purely mental stuff counts (so Dragon Shaman auras work, ToB Maneuvers activation, etc).

Doc Roc
2009-08-31, 02:39 PM
Gosh! I always forget about Synads. I'll need to go work them over and see what I can get them to do. Thank you!

OMG PONIES
2009-08-31, 08:29 PM
Synads can only do so once per day, though it can be used to manifest a power if they haven't already done so in the round. A chronotryn (from the Fiend Folio) can take two rounds' worth of actions every round, but shapechanging into one makes most DMs throw things.

Jalor
2009-08-31, 08:33 PM
Demogorgon and his Aspects also get two rounds worth of actions.

peacenlove
2009-08-31, 10:42 PM
Demogorgon and his Aspects also get two rounds worth of actions.

Also the thrall of demogorgon PrC (BoVD) does that for a limited amount of time.

Glimbur
2009-08-31, 10:44 PM
Isn't there a ToB stance that gives you an extra limited swift action? Stance of Alacrity from Diamond Mind or some such?