PDA

View Full Version : the domains of Eris.

Mystic Muse
2009-08-31, 02:39 PM
I'm thinking of putting Eris the goddess of chaos in a future D&D game.

Alignment- Chaotic neutral. Eris embodies chaos and does not take sides. she's just as likely to take down a kingdom that's good as one that's evil.

domains that come to mind. Chaos (duh) Death, decay, destruction, pestilence War, Trickery. any other ones that come to mind for a goddess of Chaos? I'm working off the assumption here that each domain either causes or is a result of chaos.

ZeroNumerous
2009-08-31, 02:43 PM
Eris only has one domain. Chaos. All other domains are picked by worshipers.

Further, Eris as presented in Greek mythology is 'merely' a goddess of strife, not of war or it's associating problems. She initiates conflict, but does not have a hand in prolonging it. Ergo, four of your domains(Death, Destruction, Decay and War) make no sense if you're using Eris as is.

bosssmiley
2009-08-31, 02:58 PM
Eris only has one domain. Chaos. All other domains are picked by worshippers.

Oh, well played. :smallbiggrin:

Mystic Muse
2009-08-31, 03:04 PM
guess that makes sense.

Optimystik
2009-08-31, 03:09 PM
Chaos, Trickery, Luck would be a good start. Maybe Spite. (That's a domain, right?)

Mystic Muse
2009-08-31, 03:29 PM
nope. no spite domain. unless you count retribution.

Myshlaevsky
2009-08-31, 04:07 PM
Fnord. Do you SEE it?

LibraryOgre
2009-08-31, 04:17 PM
Which Eris are you going for? Greek Eris, or Discordian Eris?

Greek Eris is going to have Chaos, Destruction and Trickery.

Discordian Eris is going to have Chaos, Trickery, and perhaps Luck or Knowledge.

Nightson
2009-08-31, 04:24 PM
Chaos, Destruction and Creation imo

Mystic Muse
2009-08-31, 04:25 PM
Sinbad Legend of the seven seas Eris.

please don't kill me.

Myshlaevsky
2009-08-31, 04:27 PM
Sinbad something or other of the seven seas Eris.

please don't kill me.

Hahaha!

I say go with Chaos and let the devotee pick. That was a good suggestion, IMO.

LibraryOgre
2009-08-31, 04:30 PM
Sinbad Legend of the seven seas Eris.

please don't kill me.

Eh, what do I care? I've never seen it, but the idea of creation and destruction along with Chaos works pretty well. I also like the "Must have Chaos, but can pick anything else they want" option.

erikun
2009-08-31, 04:32 PM
Eris only has one domain. Chaos. All other domains are picked by worshipers.
Yeah, this sounds the most appropriate. :smallwink:

If you want domains, then Chaos, Luck, Fate, Illusion, Strife (is that one?) and Discord (is that one?) all seem appropriate. Even with the "Chaos and any others", having the above as "common" domains with worshippers would make some sense.

Optimystik
2009-08-31, 04:44 PM
Really though, I think Eris should just be an aspect of Beshaba; they certainly have enough in common.

PonceAlyosha
2009-08-31, 05:36 PM
Which Eris are you going for? Greek Eris, or Discordian Eris?

Greek Eris is going to have Chaos, Destruction and Trickery.

Discordian Eris is going to have Chaos, Trickery, and perhaps Luck or Knowledge.

You need to go with Illuminatus! Eris because it's a more refined philosophical point than the Principia. Erisians get chose any domain EXCEPT chaos.

I had something scribbled out for Eris as a Triune Godhead for a tribe of Space Amazons. Twas divided as Eris Dike [Chaos as Justice, CG] Eris Kallisti [CN, Chaos as Permutaton] and Eris Discordia [Chaos as Destruction, CE] and tween the three granted access to Chaos, Competition, Liberation, Retribution, Illusion, Trickery or Madness.

Kallisti
2009-08-31, 05:50 PM
Really though, I think Eris should just be an aspect of Beshaba; they certainly have enough in common.

Honestly, this is insulting. She's not the goddess of bad luck, she doesn't hate people, that was all slander!

Hear ye the word of Our Lady of Chaos and learn! (http://discordia.wikia.com/wiki/Eris_%28Goddess%29)

PonceAlyosha
2009-08-31, 05:53 PM
Honestly, this is insulting. She's not the goddess of bad luck, she doesn't hate people, that was all slander!

Hear ye the word of Our Lady of Chaos and learn! (http://discordia.wikia.com/wiki/Eris_%28Goddess%29)

Only an Illuminati Pawn would white was the glorious history of Our Lady of Stuff! No one would deny angering her will result in Bad Luck.

Kallisti
2009-08-31, 06:29 PM
Only an Illuminati Pawn would white was the glorious history of Our Lady of Stuff! No one would deny angering her will result in Bad Luck.

Well, of course angering Her results in bad luck, but bad luck is just a hobby for her, it's not her calling. I reject categorically the idea that she's an aspect of Beshaba. Also, did you just call me an Illuminati pawn? Shutupshutupshutup! That's a secret! Don't blow my cover!

Emy
2009-08-31, 06:46 PM
I'd say you should pick whichever domains you like, much like an ideal-worshipping cleric.

Fnord. Do you SEE it?

I was going to mention that blank posts are generally frowned upon 'round here and you might want to add some content to your post, but I noticed when I quoted it that there was some text after all.

Next time, you might not want to color your entire post white; it makes it look like the board is bugging out or something.

Optimystik
2009-08-31, 06:50 PM

Wow, they'll make a wiki out of any old crap these days.

PonceAlyosha
2009-08-31, 06:58 PM
Well, of course angering Her results in bad luck, but bad luck is just a hobby for her, it's not her calling. I reject categorically the idea that she's an aspect of Beshaba. Also, did you just call me an Illuminati pawn? Shutupshutupshutup! That's a secret! Don't blow my cover!

To the OP: the cool thing about a cult of something like Eris is that it has a lot of potential. I'd imagine she'd act sort of like Wee Jas if Wee Jas had a sense of humor. I like playing her as someone who can see everything at once, but isn't particularly worried about the outcome of any of it. She'll actively work against her own interests if it's an interesting idea.

She'd attract snooty counterculture rich brats [like Hagbard Celine], people who are disenfranchised, the down trodden, especially those by remote and abstract forces like distant empires. I also think scientists and mathematicians would be drawn to her because they'd see the implicit chaos in creation, not only because of math, but because they can Detect Chaos.

I'd structure it like a mystery religion, but with every cell bleeding disinformation to keep their exact rituals and location from other Erisian sects, because they'd be likely to interrupt and make things shift from "solemn yet slapstick ritual" to "drunken rave, possibly riot" right proper fast.

Mystic Muse
2009-08-31, 07:56 PM
the cult thing sounds interesting. I'm not exactly sure yet how I want to put her in. all I know is at one point I want her to say "enough talking. Time for some screaming." from the sinbad movie.

PonceAlyosha
2009-08-31, 08:07 PM
the cult thing sounds interesting. I'm not exactly sure yet how I want to put her in. all I know is at one point I want her to say "enough talking. Time for some screaming." from the sinbad movie.

Oh, Eris can be Slaanesh, if need be. Honestly, Eris would be fun to run because you could probably just make a table and roll the entire thing. It lacks grace, yes, but I doubt she'd have any.

If Chaos is a finite resource, delicately balanced against law in a measurable quantity, it would be interesting to see her harvest some chaos from people to use elsewhere. It would be the sort of ridiculously circuitous plan she'd have, suck out all the chaos of one region of space so it flows into another place.

Darrin
2009-08-31, 11:00 PM
Hmm. For a Cleric of Eris, I'd give them the Chaos domain, and then their second domain is determined randomly every day. Actually, since I don't use alignments in my campaign, they wouldn't even get the Chaos domain. Most likely, I'd write the available domains on slips of paper, toss them into the hat, and at the beginning of the day, pick two.