PDA

View Full Version : Evolution (the movie, kids, the movie)

Thrawn183
2009-08-31, 04:38 PM
Just to repeat, if it wasn't obvious, this thread is about the 2001 movie Evolution, not real life.

Well, with that out of the way, I have to say I love this movie. I feel that it's one of those movies that manages to not take itself too seriously and being generally hilarious. While it may never rival army of darkness, David Duchovny even pulled off a performance that made me forget about the woodenness of the x-files for a couple hours.

Lycan 01
2009-08-31, 04:42 PM
When I was younger, I had several nightmares where those freaky ape things near the end were hunting me. :smalleek:

Prime32
2009-08-31, 04:46 PM
I liked the cartoon better.

Jack Squat
2009-08-31, 04:52 PM
This movie's easily near the top of my list of favorites.

"Let's shampoo us some aliens!"

Starscream
2009-08-31, 04:58 PM
I enjoyed it. David Duchovny was surprisingly funny. He should take more comedic roles like that.

Liked the effects, too. They hit a good balance between comical and realistic.

Fin
2009-08-31, 05:09 PM
I liked this film a lot and for pretty much the same reasons as the OP. On a side note, those who preferred Duchovny in this type of role should check out the series Californication, it has a lot of adult themes so be aware of that in advance but otherwise it is a very good show of Duchovny's comedy acting talent.

Winterwind
2009-08-31, 05:17 PM
I remember watching that with a couple of folks from school back then. Pretty much all of them from the physics class I was in.
You cannot imagine the collective laughing fit we had at the totally mind-numbingly non-sensical way they figure out that Selenium is toxic for the aliens. Really, we had to stop the DVD or video or whatever it was we had for like 10 minutes, because we just. Could. Not. Stop. Laughing. :smallbiggrin:

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-31, 05:46 PM
I honestly don't remember buying it on DVD, but there it is on my shelf. Which is something because it's a rare thing that I bother to buy a film, I generally rent/borrow (from friends)/steal (from family) them.

It is a great film though, I love the black guy (his name eludes me and I'm too lazy to Google), it's not often you can make a giant pervert lovable :smalltongue: And the Ka-kaw ka-kaw bit has actually been quoted back at me by total strangers in shops when I used it to hunt down my lost gf.

I might watch it tomorrow now,haven't seen it in a while. Thanks for reminding me about it OP.

Thrawn183
2009-08-31, 05:49 PM
Yeah... I watched it again a year or two ago and was struck by how genuinely fun it was to watch.

shadzar
2009-08-31, 06:00 PM
When I was younger, I had several nightmares where those freaky ape things near the end were hunting me. :smalleek:

You mean the Taer from D&D?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mg/20041014a

This movie is currently on HBO on Demand...or was last week.

Haven
2009-08-31, 06:55 PM
I remember watching that with a couple of folks from school back then. Pretty much all of them from the physics class I was in.
You cannot imagine the collective laughing fit we had at the totally mind-numbingly non-sensical way they figure out that Selenium is toxic for the aliens. Really, we had to stop the DVD or video or whatever it was we had for like 10 minutes, because we just. Could. Not. Stop. Laughing. :smallbiggrin:

It's worth noting that this was definitely intentional humor. (Because no one on TV Tropes seems to get that, for some reason).

Winterwind
2009-08-31, 07:03 PM
It's worth noting that this was definitely intentional humor. (Because no one on TV Tropes seems to get that, for some reason).Oh, of course it was. Sorry if that did not come across clearly. The explanation was totally idiotic, but coming up with such a deliberately, hilariously idiotic explanation required pure genius. :smallbiggrin:

Jibar
2009-09-01, 01:11 AM
Ka-caw! Ka-caw! Tookie tookie!

Man, that is a brilliant film. Just for that scene. That scene is one of the funniest things I have seen on screen.

Thrawn183
2009-09-01, 08:48 AM
I also enjoy how many tropes they use. Like the cute things that actually have gigantic mouths and will try to eat you. I think the first example of that was in Mom and Dad Save the World.

Zocelot
2009-09-01, 10:13 AM

I saw this movie at a science fair (the biggest one in Canada, people from all over the country came), and we all laughed our asses off at that part. It's got to be one of the worst examples of science in a movie that I've ever seen.

Avilan the Grey
2009-09-01, 03:57 PM
I love it. It's not on my top 10 list, but it's definitely a favorite.

My favorite joke is the shout-out that was not meant as one; the "I have worked with those guys" line. Everyone when we saw it the first time though it was an X-files joke.

orchitect
2009-09-01, 08:10 PM
I saw this movie at a science fair (the biggest one in Canada, people from all over the country came), and we all laughed our asses off at that part. It's got to be one of the worst examples of science in a movie that I've ever seen.

Ever watch The Core? I think it beat Evolution by a long shot!

I've always loved crazy aliens and Evolution was on my most watched list for a long time. I liked the walrus thing in the water tank the most.

Thrawn183
2009-09-01, 09:03 PM
Yeah, but how many movies have....

The scene with the fly and a distinct lack of lubricant?

Yulian
2009-09-01, 10:18 PM
You cannot imagine the collective laughing fit we had at the totally mind-numbingly non-sensical way they figure out that Selenium is toxic for the aliens.

You know, I puzzled over that and just did not get it. I was a mortician, I know a good bit of chemistry and organic chem, and I was literally puzzling over that, wondering if there was some bizarre "shorthand" on the periodic table I had been utterly unaware of.

But that flick is a very fun, well put together movie with decent acting and nice effects. It pretty much hits all the notes you want, never drags, has engaging characters, and enough action to keep things rolling.

I think it's an excellent example of a film that, while no classic, is totally solid. I also liked the fact that a female character got to be the clumsy, comic relief for a change. Nice change of pace.

- Yulian

loopy
2009-09-02, 02:19 AM
It was also the movie that got:

"Play that funky music, white boy!"

Stuck in the heads of another generation.

Avilan the Grey
2009-09-02, 05:49 AM
I think it's an excellent example of a film that, while no classic, is totally solid. I also liked the fact that a female character got to be the clumsy, comic relief for a change. Nice change of pace.

...And still so... hot. :P

bosssmiley
2009-09-02, 08:54 AM
Yeah, but how many movies have....

The scene with the fly and a distinct lack of lubricant?

*whimpers* "Can I have some ice cream please?"
"What flavour?"
"Doesn't matter. I won't be eating it."

"How do you think we keep our hair so glossy?"

And the shampoo advert stinger. :smallbiggrin:

@vv: Thank you. It has been a while since I saw the film.

Prime32
2009-09-02, 11:46 AM
You cannot imagine the collective laughing fit we had at the totally mind-numbingly non-sensical way they figure out that Selenium is toxic for the aliens. Really, we had to stop the DVD or video or whatever it was we had for like 10 minutes, because we just. Could. Not. Stop. Laughing. :smallbiggrin:Oddly, that just annoyed me. Mars Attacks, on the other hand, had me cracking up on all the stuff related to nitrogen (the aliens are nitrogen-based, and they need spacesuits on Earth because they can only breathe nitrogen).

Jack Squat
2009-09-02, 12:14 PM
*whimpers* "I'd like ice cream please?"
"Okay, what flavor?"
"It doesn't matter. It's for my ass."

"How do you think we keep our hair so shiny and flake free?"

And the shampoo advert stinger. :smallbiggrin:

Fixed.

It helps that this movie is almost entirely quotable.

"So, what do you want? Light meat, or dark?"

Winterwind
2009-09-02, 02:05 PM
Oddly, that just annoyed me. Mars Attacks, on the other hand, had me cracking up on all the stuff related to nitrogen (the aliens are nitrogen-based, and they need spacesuits on Earth because they can only breathe nitrogen).Oh wow. There's just so much wrong with that. :smallbiggrin:

Eldan
2009-09-02, 03:47 PM
Oddly, that just annoyed me. Mars Attacks, on the other hand, had me cracking up on all the stuff related to nitrogen (the aliens are nitrogen-based, and they need spacesuits on Earth because they can only breathe nitrogen).

That's not annoying. Annoying was the total lack of correct definitions for biology terms like "Evolution" or "Mitosis". The movie was fun, but the initial analysis of the aliens was bad enough to fire that guy. "Biologist" indeed.

Jack Squat
2009-09-02, 03:49 PM
That's not annoying. Annoying was the total lack of correct definitions for biology terms like "Evolution" or "Mitosis". The movie was fun, but the initial analysis of the aliens was bad enough to fire that guy. "Biologist" indeed.

He taught at a community college, what do you expect :smallwink:

Eldan
2009-09-02, 04:15 PM
Well, I don't exactly know what a community college is... :smallbiggrin: Seems like it's a school below university level, though. So, yeah. Still, shouldn't he have at least a doctor title to teach there?

Eldan
2009-09-02, 04:46 PM
Okay... I just saw that movie again. The poison bit is hilarious indeed. :smallbiggrin:

I also just remembered that my first GBA game was a shooter very remotely based on this game where you play Kane battling aliens with a shampoo spray.

Thrawn183
2009-09-03, 08:54 AM
The mall scene is where the movie clearly just decided to roll over and run with it. Ending, of course, in the inevitable funky music.

Jack Squat
2009-09-03, 08:59 AM
Well, I don't exactly know what a community college is... :smallbiggrin: Seems like it's a school below university level, though. So, yeah. Still, shouldn't he have at least a doctor title to teach there?

It's supposed to be a college that focuses on associate degrees and what not, as opposed to a university where most don't offer them.

Theoretically, you get similar education as if you went to a University, but in reality it's much like continuing High School, only the teachers know less and have a larger ego.

Thrawn183
2009-09-03, 03:52 PM
It's also a good place to pick up college level classes if you don't want to be enrolled.

Things like language classes and accounting. I'm actually thinking about signing up for some accounting classes myself at the local community college as my Biology BS is somewhat...lacking in that area.