PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XI

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Ianuagonde
2009-10-05, 06:20 AM
Q 214

When a dwarf with Dodge and Titan Fight (RoS) chooses a Giant for her Dodge feat, does she get +8 dodge bonus to AC, or just +5?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-05, 09:14 AM
A 214

The answer depends on the size of the giant opponent.
Dodge bonuses stack with all other bonuses to AC, even other dodge bonuses.Dwarves have +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against monsters of the giant type. The Dodge feat normally grants a +1 dodge bonus against a designated foe. The Titan Fighting feat alters that.
Benefit: When you designate a creature at least one size category larger than you as the target of your Dodge feat, you apply your racial dodge bonus to Armor Class against monsters of the giant type against attacks from that opponent (regardless of its creature type) instead of the +1 bonus granted by the Dodge feat. So it's the normal +4 racial dodge bonus if the opponent is a giant, and +4 more from the Titan Fighting-modified Dodge feat dodge bonus if the opponent is larger.

If the opponent were a Goliath the Dwarf would receive its racial +4 bonus and +1 from the Dodge feat, for a total of +5, because Goliaths are not larger than Dwarves. Against giants of Large size or greater, the answer would be +8.

Eloel
2009-10-05, 09:17 AM
A214
Addition;
Having Reduce Person cast on you is enough for you to get +4 to AC against Goliaths - so there's no 'at least Large' minimum

Mauril Everleaf
2009-10-05, 11:02 AM
A 213

There is no specific method of getting an Aura of Courage into a magic item, but you can duplicate the effects. A Standard of Courage (Complete Warrior, page 136) grants a +4 morale bonus vs. fear effects to allies within 30' (rather than the Paladin's 10' Aura of Courage), for 15,000 gp. Bearing a Dagger of Defiance (Magic Item Compendium, page 50) makes one immune to fear for 6,302 gp.

Dagger of Defiance seems to only give me a +3 bonus to saves vs enchantment and fear effects.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-05, 12:27 PM
Dagger of Defiance seems to only give me a +3 bonus to saves vs enchantment and fear effects.
Sorry, that's my error. Immunity to fear used to be a characteristic of the Dagger of Defiance (Magic of Faerûn, page 142); I updated the source without confirming that the item properties had stayed the same (and they didn't, as we now know).

A Lance of Bravery (Arms and Equipment Guide, page 111) confers immunity to fear to the character who holds it and their mount, for 30,310 gp. A Prayer of Anger greatsword (Magic of Faerûn, page 143) makes the bearer immune to fear, for 14,350 gp. A Helm of Darkness (Magic of Faerûn, page 160) provides a lot of capabilities including immunity to fear for 157,000 gp.

Lord of Syntax
2009-10-05, 02:57 PM
Q205:
If your character has LA "levels" do you get the greater number of skill points from being 1st lvl?

Random832
2009-10-05, 03:02 PM
A 205 Yes.

Skill points are determined by Character Level (Hit Dice), not ECL.

Note that if you have extra hit dice, your first level is a creature type hit die, not a class level.

{table]Type|Skill points ( + Int bonus, x 4 at first HD)
Aberration|2
Animal|2
Construct|2
Dragon|6
Elemental|2
Fey|6
Giant|2
Humanoid|2
Magical beast|2
Monstrous humanoid|2
Ooze|2
Outsider|8
Plant|2
Undead|4
Vermin|2[/table]

(I don't know if the creature descriptions give a total number of skill points taking this into account or not.)

Curmudgeon
2009-10-05, 03:05 PM
A 205

You get nothing from Level Adjustments apart from the benefits of the stated race or template -- except a higher Effective Character Level and concomitant requirement for more XP to achieve your next class level. You do, however, get the usual 1st level benefits of any character class with respect to skill points, feats, and so on.

Mauril Everleaf
2009-10-05, 11:19 PM
A Lance of Bravery (Arms and Equipment Guide, page 111) confers immunity to fear to the character who holds it and their mount, for 30,310 gp.

This has me curious...
Q 206 Is there a way to get other immunities/abilities/beneficial things extended to your mount? If there are and it's expansive, feel free to just say yes and then PM me some of the options.

Stegyre
2009-10-05, 11:19 PM
Q 207
Practiced Manifester:

Your manifester level for the chosen manifesting class increases by four. This benefit can't increase your manifester level higher than your Hit Dice. . . . This feat does not affect your powers per day or powers known. It only increases your manifester level, which helps you overcome power resistance and increases the duration and other effects of your powers.
Expanded Knowledge:

Add to your powers known one additional power of any level up to one level lower than the highest-level power you can manifest.
Maybe I'm slow and I just never realized this before, or maybe I'm interpreting these wrong, but by RAW, doesn't this allow the following:
(1) level one in a psionic class, ideally psion or ardent, as both of these acquire power levels at the maximum rate.
(2) multi-class out to whatever you want for four more levels, and take Practiced Manifester along the way.
(3) take Expanded Knowledge: even though, from your one actual ML you have only first-level powers, you are now able to chose any first or second level power, from any power list, because at "ML 5" from the PM feat, you are, by RAW, able to manifest 3rd level powers.

Am I right, or where is the flaw in my reasoning?

(I considered if something similar would be possible with Practiced Spellcaster and Extra Slot, but the different mechanics seem to rule it out. Comment on the question is welcome, however.)

Q 208
Elf Dilettante: does the +1 on all untrained skill checks satisfy the requirement for making a Knowledge Devotion check, or is an actual skill point in each relevant knowledge still required?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-06, 12:16 AM
A 207

As your quote indicates, Practiced Manifester doesn't increase your powers known. Even with ML 5 the highest-level power you know is still level 1. This is because if you take 1 level of Psion, the Psion Table (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psion.htm#tableThePsion) specifies that you can know 3 powers and the Maximum Power Level Known for all of them is 1st. While the Practiced Manifester boosts your ML, you're still stuck knowing the same powers, none of them above 1st level. As such Expanded Knowledge can only give you access to a 0th level power. :smallsigh:

Curmudgeon
2009-10-06, 12:24 AM
A 208 No.

Elf Dilettante provides two benefits: +1 to untrained skill checks; and the ability to make untrained skill checks for normally trained-only skills. These benefits apply to skill checks only, and have no effect on satisying feat requirements. You still cannot use Knowledge Devotion without at least 1 rank in the relevant Knowledge skill.

Stegyre
2009-10-06, 12:39 AM
A 207

As your quote indicates, Practiced Manifester doesn't increase your powers known. Even with ML 5 the highest-level power you know is still level 1. This is because if you take 1 level of Psion, the Psion Table (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psion.htm#tableThePsion) specifies that you can know 3 powers and the Maximum Power Level Known for all of them is 1st. While the Practiced Manifester boosts your ML, you're still stuck knowing the same powers, none of them above 1st level. As such Expanded Knowledge can only give you access to a 0th level power. :smallsigh:I don't mean to quibble, because really, this goes to the very heart of my question, but Expanded Knowledge does not condition the power you learn on the basis of the powers you know, as I'm reading it, the only limit on the new power is "any level up to one less than the highest-level power you can manifest."

The quoted language could have two different meanings. First, if you only have 1st level powers known, then you can only manifest first level powers. This interpretation has at least two problems: (a) assume a 3rd level psion took all first level powers -- leads to an absurd result; (b) ardents, at least, have a RAW power progression that is unique: they may learn any new power, provided they are "able to manifest the new power at the level at which [it is learned]." CPsi 7. The specific example given is to be able to pay the required pp cost due to sufficient ML. (At a minimum, I think this argument, in general, is stronger for Ardents than other classes, due to this unusual RAW mechanic.)

Second, any level up to one less than the highest-level power you can manifest," may simply mean a measure of the highest level power a character could manifest if he knew the highest level power he could know. All psionic characters have an absolute limit of their ML, but it would seem more reasonable to defer to their stated power level progression: psions can manifest a new power level every other level (as can Ardents); PWs, every three levels, etc.

Is there a reasoned basis for choosing the first interpretation over the second? I'm not meaning to start a lengthy debate, but I just what to be sure this is considered in the response. :smallsmile:

Curmudgeon
2009-10-06, 01:05 AM
the only limit on the new power is "any level up to one less than the highest-level power you can manifest."

The quoted language could have two different meanings. First, if you only have 1st level powers known, then you can only manifest first level powers.

Second, any level up to one less than the highest-level power you can manifest," may simply mean a measure of the highest level power a character could manifest if he knew the highest level power he could know.

Is there a reasoned basis for choosing the first interpretation over the second?
Of course there's a reason: the letter of the RAW specifies the highest-level power you can manifest. There's no wiggle room here, because any theoretical powers a manifester of your ML might have are merely wishful thinking and not part of the RAW. If a higher-level Psion never learned higher than 1st level powers, they would be in the same situation.

Stegyre
2009-10-06, 12:53 PM
Of course there's a reason: the letter of the RAW specifies the highest-level power you can manifest. There's no wiggle room here, because any theoretical powers a manifester of your ML might have are merely wishful thinking and not part of the RAW. If a higher-level Psion never learned higher than 1st level powers, they would be in the same situation.I'm still not convinced, but at this point, I'll move the discussion to its own thread. (I'll return to post a link, Crum. and others are please welcome to continue the discussion. :smallsmile:)
New Thread Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7067146#post7067146)

Claudius Maximus
2009-10-06, 03:21 PM
Q 209

Is there any general rule that gaining Evasion twice gets you Improved Evasion, as with Uncanny Dodge?

Yora
2009-10-06, 03:22 PM
A 209

No, there is none.

Douglas
2009-10-06, 03:35 PM
A209 note

There is no such general rule for Uncanny Dodge either, it's just that most (maybe even all, I'm not sure) specific instances of classes that grant that ability give a specific rule about that particular class upgrading it to Improved Uncanny Dodge if you already have the ability.

Glok
2009-10-06, 07:12 PM
Q210

Can pounce only be used with natural weapons or can it also be used with normal weapons such as an axe or sword?

ex. I have a Feral Half-Ogre Barbarian War Hulk I automatically get the pounce ability from the feral template but I wield a gargantuan greataxe can I still pounce attack the first round or am I limited to only my natural attacks for doing that?

thanks

Studoku
2009-10-06, 07:48 PM
Q211

If I have the Practised Spellcaster feat (Complete arcane- +4 to the caster level of one class up to a maximum of your hit dice) and the Arcane Spell Power class feature class power (Complete mage- +1 caster level for all arcane spells), which is applied first? Ie, can this increase my caster level above my HD?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-06, 07:53 PM
A 210

There are a variety of forms of Pounce. The one provided by the Feral template only works in the first round of combat, but has no restriction to the weapons used for the attack.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-06, 07:58 PM
A 211

You may apply them in whichever order is most beneficial to you.
As a general guideline, whenever the rules don’t stipulate an order of operations for special effects (such as spells or special abilities), you should apply them in the order that’s most beneficial to the “controller” of the effect. You may apply the Arcane Spell Power Ultimate Magus class feature after reaching the limit for Practiced Spellcaster.

Glok
2009-10-06, 08:01 PM
A 210

There are a variety of forms of Pounce. The one provided by the Feral template only works in the first round of combat, but has no restriction to the weapons used for the attack.

I didn't think so but is there any book that states it so I can prove it to the DM?

lsfreak
2009-10-06, 08:09 PM
I didn't think so but is there any book that states it so I can prove it to the DM?
A210 con't
Point to the description, which makes no mention of limiting it to natural weapons.

Alternatively, the SRD/MM, which makes no mention of natural weapons:

When a creature with this special attack makes a charge, it can follow with a full attack—including rake attacks if the creature also has the rake ability.

Glok
2009-10-06, 08:25 PM
Point to the description, which makes no mention of limiting it to natural weapons.

Alternatively, the SRD/MM, which makes no mention of natural weapons:

But the rake part of the description is kind of making me feel like thats not the case.

Rake (Ex): A feral creature that gets a hold can make two
rake attacks at its full melee attack bonus with its hind legs.
Each successful attack does normal claw damage for that
size of feral creature, plus 1/2 its Strength bonus (rounded
down). If the feral creature pounces on an opponent, it can
also rake.

So I don't get to rake if I pounce with a weapon? At least I don't see how I could gain a hold with a weapon.

Sorry to keep this going I just really want to make this happen as I'd probably kill just about anything in the first charge if this works.

lsfreak
2009-10-06, 08:31 PM
So I don't get to rake if I pounce with a weapon? At least I don't see how I could gain a hold with a weapon.
A210 con't con't

No, you don't get rakes, but that has zero bearing on whether or not you need to use natural weapons. Just that if you happen to have both pounce and rake, you get a regular full attack plus rakes.

sadi
2009-10-06, 09:22 PM
Q212Is there any rule or skill check that would let a halfling tumble up onto a table?

Grynning
2009-10-06, 10:41 PM
A 212

Moving vertical distance is covered by the Jump skill.

Edit for clarification: If the movement would provoke an AoO, I don't think anything would prevent you from also using Tumble to prevent AoO's, though you would be limited to half speed for that move action. So your total distance moved, including the upward movement to the table, could not exceed half your speed.
If you're not trying to prevent an AoO, you would just make a jump check. Tumbling as you do so is pure flavor.

A 193 Goin way back a page for Thurbane:
It says (as you quoted): Hit Dice: For the purpose of effects related to number of Hit Dice, use the master’s character level or the familiar’s normal HD total, whichever is higher.

The language is inclusive; it might as well say "all effects" related to number of hit dice. The fiendish template has effects related to hit dice, thus they are determined by the master's level.

Runeclaw
2009-10-07, 01:17 AM
Q213

If I have a Dispelling weapon, how do I determine the effective "caster level" for dispel checks?

Grynning
2009-10-07, 01:20 AM
A 213

As with most magic items, it would be the minimum caster level needed to create the item, unless the DM determined it was intentionally crafted at a higher CL.

Thurbane
2009-10-07, 01:49 AM
A 213 cont.

As per the MIC p.33, a Dispelling weapon has a CL of 5th.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-07, 03:16 AM
Re: A 212
Moving vertical distance is covered by the Jump skill.

Edit for clarification: If the movement would provoke an AoO, I don't think anything would prevent you from also using Tumble to prevent AoO's, though you would be limited to half speed for that move action. So your total distance moved, including the upward movement to the table, could not exceed half your speed.
You can Tumble at any speed you like, as long as you make the appropriate skill check.
Accelerated Tumbling: You try to tumble past or through enemies more quickly than normal. By accepting a -10 penalty on your Tumble checks, you can move at your full speed instead of one-half your speed.
Sprinting Tumble: You can try to tumble past or through an opponent’s space while running by accepting a –20 penalty on your Tumble check.

vollmond
2009-10-07, 08:29 AM
Q 214

How does an anchor feather token work? Does it just magically hold the boat in place, or does it physically morph into its namesake, the way the other feather tokens do?

EDIT: Q 215
How far away can you be from a feather token and still use the command word? Can I tie it to a rock and throw it before activating it?

weenie
2009-10-07, 10:28 AM
Q 216

Can the rock to mud -> mud to rock trick work without the need to cast mud to rock? In the description of Transmute rock to mud it says, that the spell is permanent in duration, and that a dispel magic returns the mud to rock. So does the same thing happen if the spell is dismissed?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-07, 10:36 AM
A 216 No.

Transmute Mud to Rock is not dismissible.
(D) Dismissible

If the Duration line ends with "(D)," you can dismiss the spell at will. It could be dispelled, but that's another operation entirely.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-07, 10:45 AM
A 214

There isn't a RAW answer to this. While it's reasonable to assume the Anchor Feather Token assumes the physical form of an anchor, ultimately it's your DM's call.

A 215

Again, there's no RAW answer for the range of spoken command words. There is an exclusionary answer in that if the item comes into someone else's control you can no longer command it, so it's probably best not to throw it near someone with the Snatch Arrows feat. Also, tying a feather token to a rock will not change its D&D throwing properties. Rocks and feathers both have the same improvised weapon range increment of 10'.

EleventhHour
2009-10-07, 11:06 AM
Q217 This one is a bit random and probably has a simple anwser but ;

Do ranged weapons scale with Size, too? A Longsword increases with each Size catagory that it was made for, but if you had, say, a Colossal Heavy Crossbow what kind of damage would it do?

(...aside from being a hand-held ballista.)

Curmudgeon
2009-10-07, 11:18 AM
A 217 Yes.

All weapon damage scales with size, using the same size progression table (Table 2-2 on page 28 of Dungeon Master's Guide).

Edit: A Medium heavy crossbow does 1d10 damage. Colossal is 4 size steps above medium, so the table gives 6d8 as the Colossal heavy crossbow damage.

AtwasAwamps
2009-10-07, 11:47 AM
Q 218

Extremely stupid question, but bear with me!

Can the following be combined as one attack:

Charge + Power Attack
Charge + Smite
Power Attack + Smite
Charge + Smite + Power Attack?

IE, could I use them all at once and would those bonuses then stack?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-07, 11:51 AM
A 218 Yes.

Charge allows one melee attack. Smite Evil modifies one melee attack. Power Attack modifies all attacks for a round. These can all be used together.

DementedFellow
2009-10-07, 04:46 PM
Q 219
How would you figure up the DC for the Truenamer when it comes to him using his truenaming skill against items and the battlefield. For example, if I wanted to use the neato gate ability granted by the Perfected Map doohickey, what would I need to roll?

jokey665
2009-10-07, 05:23 PM
Q220
Regarding Deities: The SRD says this under "Divine Ranks and Powers"

Create Magic Items

A deity of rank 1 or higher can create magic items related to its portfolio without any requisite item creation feat, provided that the deity possesses all other prerequisites for the item. The maximum item value a deity can create is a function of its divine rank (see table). The item’s cost and creation time remain unchanged, but the deity is free to undertake any activity when not laboring on the item.

If a deity has the item creation feat pertaining to the item it wishes to create, the cost (in gold and XP) and creation times are halved.

Yet, under Salient Divine Abilities it lists item-creation abilities. The above quote makes it seem to me like you don't need the SDA's... do you?

Godskook
2009-10-07, 05:36 PM
Q221

When using a dragon cohort as a mount, what efforts need to be made to allow him to be considered 'trained for combat riding'? I'd assume none, but I'm covering my bases.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-07, 07:28 PM
A 220

This ability to create items is limited to magic items related to its portfolio only, and is also limited in value depending on the deity's divine rank. A deity wishing to create any other types of magic items must use either regular item creation feats, or a salient divine ability.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-07, 07:42 PM
A 221

Actually, that doesn't work at all.
Your mount acts on your initiative count as you direct it. You move at its speed, but the mount uses its action to move.
A cohort is effectively another PC in the party under that player’s control, one whose share of XP, treasure, and spotlight time is bound to take something away from the other players’ characters. While a cohort of adequate physical form to carry its leader may choose to do so, it always acts independently and on its own initiative. Even though the same player controls both creatures, the PC and cohort don't share the same mind. Therefore, any cooperative efforts must arise through normal communications -- usually speech. You can't control another character through the Ride skill.

On a personal note, when I'm DMing and see a player having multiple creatures act in concert without any communication to coordinate their activities, I assess an XP penalty.

Runeclaw
2009-10-07, 08:12 PM
A 213 cont.

A 213 cont.

As per the MIC p.33, a Dispelling weapon has a CL of 5th.

Thanks. That makes it kind of progressively less useful as time goes on.

If I'm crafting it myself, can I use my own caster level instead? With a wand, this would incresae the price, but it wouldn't in this case, would it?

Thurbane
2009-10-07, 08:16 PM
A 213 discussion

Yes, it is definitely of limited use past low(ish) levels. Strictly by RAW, I don't believe you could boost the CL using the existing weapon property. A homebrewed version that scales to higher levels would probably be worth more than a +1 bonus.

jokey665
2009-10-07, 08:21 PM
A 220

This ability to create items is limited to magic items related to its portfolio only, and is also limited in value depending on the deity's divine rank. A deity wishing to create any other types of magic items must use either regular item creation feats, or a salient divine ability.

Assuming the deity's divine rank is high enough to have no limit on price and be able to make artifacts, the only restriction is that it has to be related to its portfolio? And that's basically the DM's call whether or not it fits, right?

Grynning
2009-10-07, 08:23 PM
A 213 discussion

The CL's given in the MIC are the minimum CL's needed to craft the item, which is WHY they determine the CL of the effects; most items are assumed to be at minimum CL. But they can be crafted at higher CL's.

For potions, scrolls, and wands, the creator can set the caster level of an item at any number high enough to cast the stored spell and not higher than her own caster level. For other magic items, the caster level is determined by the creator. The minimum caster level is that which is needed to meet the prerequisites given.

Emphasis mine.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-07, 08:36 PM
Assuming the deity's divine rank is high enough to have no limit on price and be able to make artifacts, the only restriction is that it has to be related to its portfolio? And that's basically the DM's call whether or not it fits, right?
That's correct. I've played with DMs who limit this to relics of the deity, and their favored weapon.

DizzyD
2009-10-08, 06:35 AM
Q222 (I think)

Is there a feat that allows me to charge through difficult terrain?

Or any other way for that matter?

Sliver
2009-10-08, 07:20 AM
A222 (you think..)

I have found Combat Acrobat, (PHBII p76) lets you ignore 4 squars of difficult terrain in regards of movement.., and Stable Footing (RoE p112) ignores movement penalty when moving over difficult terrain, but its for dwarfs or warforged.. I think those feats include allowing you to charge, but not sure..
You could always fly..

(I'm away from books so its all from crystal keep)

Curmudgeon
2009-10-08, 08:51 AM
A 222 additional info

If you've got the skills, Tumble will let you overcome difficult terrain without a feat.
Tumbling during a Charge

You can tumble during a charge, as long as you continue to meet all other criteria for making a charge before, during, and after tumbling.Light obstructions increase the DC by 2, and severe obstructions by 5. If you move half your speed or less there is no additional Tumble penalty; if you move up to your speed the penalty is -10 for Accelerated Tumbling; and if you move more than your speed impose the -20 Sprinting Tumble penalty (Complete Adventurer page 103).

Telonius
2009-10-09, 09:19 AM
Q223: Is there such a thing as a Wand (or other magic item) that holds Artificer infusions as though they were spells? (I'd look up the description for infusions, but my Eberron setting is on loan to one of my players...)

Tavar
2009-10-09, 09:58 AM
Q224:
Can you give a rules quote that says sneak attack applies to all attacks that would qualify? The question came up in this thread, last page.

Sliver
2009-10-09, 10:25 AM
A224

The rogue’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target.

All attacks that are made when the conditions apply are sneak attacks. If you are invisible, the first attack only, because then you are visible, or attacking from hiding, because the target then knows where you are, but greater invisibility, flanking, attacking blinded opponents and any other conditions that apply to all attacks allow you to deliver sneak attacks in all your attacks.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-09, 11:08 AM
A 223

This question is a little odd, because infusions can only be imbued into objects. But if you're asking if there's a way to store multiple infusions of something like Lesser Armor Enhancement to be released on demand, the answer is no. While most infusions simply duplicate spells, those that are unique are AFAIK direct from Artificer to target. All Artificer item creation feats use (emulated) spells.
An artificer’s infusions do not meet spell prerequisites for creating magic items.

Godskook
2009-10-09, 12:04 PM
A 221

Actually, that doesn't work at all. While a cohort of adequate physical form to carry its leader may choose to do so, it always acts independently and on its own initiative. Even though the same player controls both creatures, the PC and cohort don't share the same mind. Therefore, any cooperative efforts must arise through normal communications -- usually speech. You can't control another character through the Ride skill.

On a personal note, when I'm DMing and see a player having multiple creatures act in concert without any communication to coordinate their activities, I assess an XP penalty.

And you'd be unjustly penalizing your players. Draconomicon(page 138) lists methods of training dragons as mounts without spending feats on them. The difference I'm wondering about is if the 'cohort' status yields me any benefits in the process, or if I treat my cohort like any other dragon. I assume none because unlike regular dragons, a cohort's loyalty and efforts are more directly under my control(and he can therefore train himself, arguably) than other dragons would be. *SIGH* Time to open a thread about it I guess...

Q225

Are cone shaped breath weapons considered bursts or spreads? I can't find a source that states it explicitly one way or the other. Specifically, if a Dragonfire Adept breaths his breath weapon at the floor, does he now have a circle instead of a cone?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-09, 12:27 PM
And you'd be unjustly penalizing your players. Draconomicon(page 138) lists methods of training dragons as mounts without spending feats on them.
Quoting from that page:
Although intelligent, a dragon requires training before it can bear a rider in combat. Training a dragon you have reared to serve as a mount requires six weeks of work and a DC 25 Handle Animal check. Riding a dragon requires an exotic saddle.
While you can train a dragon to serve as a mount, this isn't the same as teaching an animal a package of tricks which you would be able to exploit with Handle Animal checks in combat, because a dragon isn't an animal.

Also from that page of Draconomicon:
Keeping a Dragon Mount

A dragon mount, although it may be loyal to you, is still an independent, intelligent creature with a mind of its own. Expect the DM to treat a dragon mount as an NPC, not as a passive participant. My original answer stands: you need to communicate with a dragon mount, and can't just command it to perform tricks in combat.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-09, 12:37 PM
A 225

Breath weapons are bursts unless otherwise noted.
A blast from a breath weapon always starts at any intersection adjacent to the dragon and extends in a direction of the dragon’s choice, with an area as noted on the table below. A Dragonfire Adept's breath weapon, aimed vertically, would still be a cone. Its intersection with the floor would be a circle.

Douglas
2009-10-09, 12:44 PM
My original answer stands: you need to communicate with a dragon mount, and can't just command it to perform tricks in combat.
I would argue that there is no reason that communication cannot be done via the Ride skill. The training serves to allow the dragon to understand such commands, teaches him how to do combat maneuvers without unseating a rider, and makes him more likely to accept and cooperate with a rider.

Kosjsjach
2009-10-10, 02:34 AM
Q 226 (3.5)
Can the Swordsage's Discipline Focus (Ex) be used to gain entry to a prestige class with Weapon Focus as a prerequisite?

Weapon Focus: At 1st level, you gain the benefit of the Weapon Focus feat for weapons associated with the chosen discipline.

For example, I'd like to use 1 level of Swordsage (Tome of Battle) to help me gain entry to Master Thrower (Complete Warrior).

It's probably just wishful thinking on my part. :smallsigh:

oxinabox
2009-10-10, 08:01 AM
Q 227 (3.5)
Is eldritch blast a invocation or a normal spell-like ability?

under eldritch blast it specifcally says it isn't an invocation.

under the armor section it says something like: "Invocations, including eleditch blast, unlike normal spell like abilities still incur Arcanes spell failure chance in armour."

Curmudgeon
2009-10-10, 09:18 AM
A 226 Possibly.

As long as the discipline you select has the weapon you want on its preferred list, you effectively have Weapon Focus for that weapon. If you picked Desert Wind there's one thrown weapon on its preferred list: the spear. Diamond Mind has the shortspear and trident. Shadow Hand has the dagger. The Swordsage has access to all of these disciplines. Devoted Spirit, Iron Heart, Setting Sun, Stone Dragon, Tiger Claw, and White Raven have no thrown weapons. So you could enter Master Thrower from Swordsage, but your thrown weapon would need to be one of spear, shortspear, trident, or dagger.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-10, 09:20 AM
A 227

It always pays to read the Errata. Here's one line from that for Complete Arcane:
Any other references claiming that eldritch blast is not an invocation should be disregarded.

Ravens_cry
2009-10-10, 10:28 AM
Q228a
Is there a feat that allows your monk levels to stack with rogue levels for sneak attack progression? Conversely, unarmed strike progression in rogues. I would prefer the former though.
Q22b
What and where is the feat that allow you to flank with yourself?
Basically, I am trying to create a Monk who does precision damage, striking vulnerable spots, and sneak attack seemed a logical way to do that mechanically.

Grynning
2009-10-10, 10:39 AM
A 228a

There is not a feat that stacks Rogue and Monk levels for sneak attack damage. Ascetic Rogue from Complete Adventurer stacks the levels to determined unarmed damage and adds 2 to the DC of Stunning Fist attempts used as a Sneak Attack. So with a 1 level Monk dip you can get the unarmed progression.

The Superior Unarmed strike feat from Tome of Battle can be used whether you have monk levels or not, and ups the damage die of your unarmed strike based on your level.

Douglas
2009-10-10, 11:15 AM
A228b

The feat you are looking for is Adaptable Flanker from PHBII. In order to use it to flank with yourself, you need to be able to threaten a square from which a hypothetical ally would be flanking the enemy with you. This can be done either with reach or with the Island of Blades stance from Tome of Battle.

Ravens_cry
2009-10-10, 11:34 AM
So, unless I was Stretch Armstrong, or Dhalsim, I can't exactly do this with unarmed strike.
*clockwork turning*
Unless I was big. *glee*
And my opponents weren't *not so glee*
Still, if there's another rogue in the party, we can be flanking buddies.
*somewhat glee*

Milskidasith
2009-10-10, 11:36 AM
Q 229

If you are a druid, do you get to choose the feats your animal companion has, or not?

Douglas
2009-10-10, 11:38 AM
So, unless I was Stretch Armstrong, or Dhalsim, I can't exactly do this with unarmed strike.
*clockwork turning*
Unless I was big. *glee*
And my opponents weren't *not so glee*
Still, if there's another rogue in the party, we can be flanking buddies.
*somewhat glee*
Or you could dip a level in Swordsage or spend two feats on Martial Study and Martial Stance. With the Island of Blades stance, all you and your threatened-square-that-counts-as-an-ally-for-flanking have to do is both be adjacent to your enemy.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-10, 12:01 PM
A 228b correction

Adaptable Flanker does not let you flank by yourself, regardless of your size or weapon choice.

When you and an ally team up against a foe, you know how to maximize the threat your ally poses to ruin your target's defense. The basic definition of flank (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_flank&alpha=F) requires another character.
flank

To be directly on the other side of a character who is being threatened by another character. A flanking attacker gains a +2 flanking bonus on attack rolls against the defender. A rogue can sneak attack a defender that she is flanking.Also, the Sage says this.
Can a character with the Adaptive Flanker feat (Player’s Handbook II, 73) and a spiked chain flank an enemy all by himself (since he can choose to count as occupying the square opposite the enemy as well as his own square)?

No. This feat doesn’t let you get around the basic rule of flanking, which is that you need an ally to accomplish it—it just lets you pretend to occupy an extra space when figuring out if you’re actually flanking an enemy with your ally.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-10, 12:13 PM
A 229

By RAW, since the animal is a loyal companion rather than a familiar under the Druid's control, its actions and feats are up to the DM. The DM may delegate the feat choice to the Druid's player, however, since the Druid always has the option to release a particular animal companion from service and seek a new one.

Douglas
2009-10-10, 12:50 PM
A228 argument

For your first quote, that is in the fluff text and even if it is taken as part of the rules mechanics of the feat the word "ally" in 3.5 generally includes yourself.

For your second quote, that is from the glossary which is never primary rules text. The actual primary source of the flanking rules specifies that you are flanking if your opponent is threatened by a character or creature friendly to you on the opponent’s opposite border or opposite corner. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#flanking) You are a character friendly to yourself, so you qualify.

For your third quote, that's the FAQ and is not part of RAW.

While all three of your points are pretty good evidence of RAI, only the first one has any possible bearing on RAW and that one's on shaky ground for two reasons.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-10, 01:35 PM
When you and an ally team up against a foe

A228 argument

For your first quote, that is in the fluff text and even if it is taken as part of the rules mechanics of the feat the word "ally" in 3.5 generally includes yourself. There's more than just the term "ally" to contend with. You can't "team up" with yourself.
team

–verb (used without object)
to gather or join in a team, a band, or a cooperative effort (usually fol. by up, together, etc.).

-noun
a number of persons associated in some joint action: a team of advisers. You're not "a number of persons"; you're always just one person.

Additionally, your "primary source" distinctions are not RAW. The rules do not diminish "fluff text" as less than any other part of the rules unless it's only in a table, which this is not. Nor does the official primary sources rule regard the Glossary part of the Player's Handbook as less than a primary source. Here's the RAW statement to refresh your memory.
Errata Rule: Primary Sources

When you find a disagreement between two D&D® rules sources, unless an official errata file says otherwise, the primary source is correct. One example of a primary/secondary source is text taking precedence over a table entry. An individual spell description takes precedence when the short description in the beginning of the spells chapter disagrees.

Another example of primary vs. secondary sources involves book and topic precedence. The Player's Handbook, for example, gives all the rules for playing the game, for playing PC races, and for using base class descriptions. If you find something on one of those topics from the DUNGEON MASTER's Guide or the Monster Manual that disagrees with the Player's Handbook, you should assume the Player's Handbook is the primary source. The DUNGEON MASTER's Guide is the primary source for topics such as magic item descriptions, special material construction rules, and so on. The Monster Manual is the primary source for monster descriptions, templates, and supernatural, extraordinary, and spell-like abilities.

Starbuck_II
2009-10-10, 01:56 PM
There's more than just the term "ally" to contend with. You can't "team up" with yourself. You're not "a number of persons"; you're always just one person.

Synad is a number of persons: or at the voices in their heads say they are. (Gotta love Synads)

EleventhHour
2009-10-10, 05:22 PM
Q230

Here's a simple/silly quandry I'm in ; Where do you find the Wealth By Level table? :smallsigh:

Tavar
2009-10-10, 05:29 PM
A 230

Dungeon Master's Guide chapter 5, page 135. Chart 5-1.

powerdemon
2009-10-10, 05:29 PM
Q230

Here's a simple/silly quandry I'm in ; Where do you find the Wealth By Level table? :smallsigh:

A 230
DMG Page 135.

EDIT: Ninja! Even in the same minute this time :smile:

EleventhHour
2009-10-10, 05:36 PM
Aha.

I feel completely ridiculous now.

powerdemon
2009-10-10, 07:08 PM
Q 231
To cast a spell that has an area of a 20 ft radius cylinder (such as ice storm) do you need line of effect to the center and/or part of the area of the spell.

Lord of Syntax
2009-10-10, 07:28 PM
Q232:
Does LA count to remove the illiteracy "class feature" of the barbarian?

powerdemon
2009-10-10, 07:31 PM
Q232:
Does LA count to remove the illiteracy "class feature" of the barbarian?

A 232 No
You need to take a level in any other Class. LA isn't a class, just hollow levels.

Claudius Maximus
2009-10-10, 07:48 PM
Q 233

Can a creature immune to mind-affecting effects benefit from morale bonuses? What if the source of the bonus is not [mind-affecting]?

sonofzeal
2009-10-10, 07:54 PM
Q 231
To cast a spell that has an area of a 20 ft radius cylinder (such as ice storm) do you need line of effect to the center and/or part of the area of the spell.

A231

"A burst, cone, cylinder, or emanation spell affects only an area, creatures, or objects to which it has line of effect from its origin (a spherical burst’s center point, a cone-shaped burst’s starting point, a cylinder’s circle, or an emanation’s point of origin)."

sonofzeal
2009-10-10, 07:55 PM
A 233

The barbarian's rage provides morale bonuses that aren't technically mind-affecting. There's probably others, but they're rare.

Claudius Maximus
2009-10-10, 08:03 PM
C 233

I'm aware of those. The question is whether or not immunity to mind-affecting effects would prevent a creature from benefiting from such bonuses. Basically, are morale bonuses inherently mind-affecting?

sonofzeal
2009-10-10, 08:07 PM
C 233

I'm aware of those. The question is whether or not immunity to mind-affecting effects would prevent a creature from benefiting from such bonuses. Basically, are morale bonuses inherently mind-affecting?
Oh sorry, misread the question. Unless it says "mind-affecting", you generally shouldn't assume that it is. Few would argue about a Warforged Juggernaut raging, for example.

Rulequote: "Nonintelligent creatures (creatures with an Intelligence of 0 or no Intelligence at all) cannot benefit from morale bonuses."

Nothing about mind-affecting.

powerdemon
2009-10-10, 11:18 PM
Q 234
How would sneak attack and sudden strike work on a gestalt rogue 7/ Ninja 7

Would he get 4d6 sudden strike damage and 4d6 sneak attack damage on a flat footed opponent?

Stegyre
2009-10-11, 12:15 AM
Q 235
Could the cost of heightening a spell's level using the Heighten Spell feat be paid using Divine Metamagic or Metamagic Song?

For example, a cleric chooses to cast Hold Person as a ninth level spell, so she uses her regular Hold Person 2nd-level spell and then spends an additional 1+7 turning attempts (using DMM). Alternatively, a bard chooses to cast Charm Person as a fifth level spell, so he uses his regular Charm Person 1st-level spell and then spends an additional four uses of his bardic music ability to raise it to 5th level. (In this second example, assume the bard is of sufficient level to cast a 5th-level spell, as that is a limitation imposed by Metamagic Song.)

Does this work? If not, an explanation of why not is appreciated. :smallsmile:

sonofzeal
2009-10-11, 12:39 AM
A 234

Yes. While the abilities are similar, they explicitly stack with each other. On any particular attack, check which (if either) triggers and apply all appropriate extra damage.

Q 235

Yes, it works. Be warned that many DMs rule that you must be able to cast spells of the modified spell level. DMM is controversial in many groups, any YMMV. However, by RAW it works.

tgva8889
2009-10-11, 03:52 AM
Q236

What are the class skills of the Dragon monster race?

Q237

Is the Duskblade an associated class if I am advancing a White Dragon?

Edit: Thank you!

Random832
2009-10-11, 04:05 AM
A 236

All dragons have skill points equal to (6 + Int modifier, minimum 1) × (Hit Dice + 3). Most dragons purchase the following skills at the maximum ranks possible: Listen, Search, and Spot. The remaining skill points are generally spent on Concentration, Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Intimidate, Knowledge (any), Sense Motive, and Use Magic Device at a cost of 1 skill point per rank. All these skills are considered class skills for dragons. (Each dragon has other class skills as well, as noted in the variety descriptions.)

Hide, Move Silently, and Swim are considered class skills for white dragons.

A 237
I'm pretty sure this is the DM's call.

sonofzeal
2009-10-11, 12:56 PM
Q238

How many HD would trees of various sizes have? Any general rule of thumb here? The "Wizened Elder" from MM4 has 4 HD and is medium; is there any other benchmark?

cru121
2009-10-11, 01:06 PM
Q238How many HD would trees of various sizes have? Any general rule of thumb here? The "Wizened Elder" from MM4 has 4 HD and is medium; is there any other benchmark?
Perhaps treant would be more suitable as a better benchmark, considering that it's core and rather well-known tree creature: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/treant.htm

Claudius Maximus
2009-10-11, 01:27 PM
A 238

Trees are objects, not creatures, and thus do not have hit dice. If animated or awakened, use the rules for animated objects, giving hit dice based on its size.

Lord of Syntax
2009-10-11, 01:41 PM
Q 239
What book is the Dark template from?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-11, 02:28 PM
A 239

The Dark Creature Template is detailed in Tome of Magic on page 161.

Killer Angel
2009-10-12, 02:09 AM
Q 240
Death Ward, protects you from the effect of Ray of enfeeblement / exaustion?

Q 241
once created, Web and Wall of ice can be influenced by Dispel magic or Antimagic field?

tnx

Curmudgeon
2009-10-12, 05:08 AM
A 240 No.
The subject is immune to all death spells, magical death effects, energy drain, and any negative energy effects.
The subject takes a penalty to Strength equal to 1d6+1 per two caster levels (maximum 1d6+5).
The subject is immediately exhausted for the spell’s duration. A successful Fortitude save means the creature is only fatigued.Neither Ray of Enfeeblement nor Ray of Exhaustion is described as a negative energy effect, and they're not death effects or energy drain. While they're both Necromancy spells, and Necromancy is the school used for death effects, these two spells are not themselves death spells.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-12, 05:11 AM
A 241 Yes.

These effects, unlike Wall of Stone or Wall of Iron, have a duration. Thus they can be dispelled or suppressed.

evil-frosty
2009-10-12, 02:03 PM
Q242
Can i take a prestige class on one side of a gestalt that the other side has the qualifications for?

powerdemon
2009-10-12, 02:07 PM
Q242
Can i take a prestige class on one side of a gestalt that the other side has the qualifications for?

A 242 Yes

You are considered one character, not two separate characters in one body. Either "side" can help the other with prerequisites.

Lord of Syntax
2009-10-12, 03:32 PM
Q242
What classes give the fast movement class feature?

and Q243
is there a list of what classes give what features?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-12, 04:29 PM
A 243 & A 244

You'll find the fast movement list here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff&post_num=3#338421590), which is part of the Lists of Stuff (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff), the answer to your second question.

powerdemon
2009-10-12, 06:11 PM
Q242
What classes give the fast movement class feature?

and Q243
is there a list of what classes give what features?

These should be Q243 and Q244

Thurbane
2009-10-13, 08:50 PM
Q 245

I keep seeing references to Adaptive and/or Aptitude weapons in builds. Are these item enhancements, class abilities from the ToB, or something else altogether?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-13, 08:55 PM
A 245

The Aptitude weapon special ability is described on page 148 of Tome of Battle.
A wielder who has feats that affect the use of a particular type of weapon, such as Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, or the like, can apply the benefits of those feats to any weapon that has the aptitude quality. In addition, if any of the wielder’s weapon use feats are specifically keyed to the aptitude weapon’s type, he gains a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls. For a +1 bonus cost this is a bargain when combined with feats that are specific to a particular weapon type.

Eldrys
2009-10-13, 10:15 PM
Q 246 What is " Chicken-Infested"?

Grynning
2009-10-13, 10:57 PM
A 246

It is a commoner-only flaw that was published as a gag by WotC, that gave you a 50% chance to draw a chicken instead of an item at any time. It was subsequently abused heavily on TO boards. There was recently a thread about it here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127694&highlight=chicken-infested).

oxinabox
2009-10-14, 12:59 AM
Q 247
Can chameleon (RoD) in divine caster modem cast Domain spells?
What if he chooses from the Archivists list, wich includes domain spells?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-14, 10:08 AM
A 247 No and no.

Domain-only spells are not on the Cleric class list; they are on the spell lists only of those Clerics who specifically choose particular domains. And there is no "Archivist spell list"; Chameleons and Archivists both rely on other classes' spell lists.
Spellcasting: An archivist casts divine spells, drawn primarily from the cleric spell list although he can eventually uncover, learn, and prepare noncleric divine spells

Demons_eye
2009-10-14, 12:03 PM
Q: 247

Can some one link me to the "Mecha" Like armor at the wizards of the coast site. I can not find it and I remember it gave to like +4 dex +4 str had a weakness for cold and cost like 30,000 gp. I would be very grateful.

JeenLeen
2009-10-14, 01:34 PM
A 247
The Clockwork Armor
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070212a

Shademan
2009-10-14, 01:48 PM
Q 248
How do I decide what tier to put a class at?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-14, 02:25 PM
A 248

"Tiers" aren't part of the D&D rules, so you should create a separate thread for tier-related questions.

Thurbane
2009-10-14, 08:36 PM
A 247 No and no.

Domain-only spells are not on the Cleric class list; they are on the spell lists only of those Clerics who specifically choose particular domains. And there is no "Archivist spell list"; Chameleons and Archivists both rely on other classes' spell lists.A 247 query

Would the Divine Crusader PrC circumvent this?

A divine crusader casts divine spells. She may only prepare and cast spells from her chosen domain (see above). Effectively, a divine crusader has a class spell list of only nine spells (one per spell level).
Emphasis mine.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-14, 08:41 PM
Re: A 247 query

Yes, it (mostly) would. There are some domains that aren't in the portfolio of any deities so those are excluded. But most domains, and thus most domain spells, would be available.

Human Paragon 3
2009-10-14, 09:02 PM
Q248

What kind of action does it take to control a broom of flying while riding it? Do you use the ride skill, or does it just follow your mental commands automatically?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-14, 09:09 PM
A 248

The Ride skill is not restricted to any particular type of mount (though some particular uses of the skill are only for trained animals), so you would also use it to control your Broom of Flying.

Ganurath
2009-10-15, 12:45 AM
Q249

If someone with a Spiked Chain had Adaptable Flanker, could they flank a target with themself?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-15, 12:48 AM
A 249 No.

This was recently answered, but here it is again:

Adaptable Flanker does not let you flank by yourself, regardless of your size or weapon choice.

When you and an ally team up against a foe, you know how to maximize the threat your ally poses to ruin your target's defense. The basic definition of flank (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_flank&alpha=F) requires another character.
flank

To be directly on the other side of a character who is being threatened by another character. A flanking attacker gains a +2 flanking bonus on attack rolls against the defender. A rogue can sneak attack a defender that she is flanking.Also, the Sage says this.
Can a character with the Adaptive Flanker feat (Player’s Handbook II, 73) and a spiked chain flank an enemy all by himself (since he can choose to count as occupying the square opposite the enemy as well as his own square)?

No. This feat doesn’t let you get around the basic rule of flanking, which is that you need an ally to accomplish it—it just lets you pretend to occupy an extra space when figuring out if you’re actually flanking an enemy with your ally.

Mauril Everleaf
2009-10-15, 02:17 AM
Q 250
When creating a custom magic item, how would I price the ability to cast a 2nd level spell once per day as a swift action?

Would I charge it as a 6th level spell (essentially applying the Quickened metamagic cost) or what?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-15, 03:22 AM
A 250

The answer to this question, in all its forms, is always the same. First, you have to be the DM to price anything. Then you compare the desired effect to existing published magic items; if there's a close match you price accordingly. Failing that, check if the spell you're trying to duplicate has any of the effects listed at the top of DMG Table 7–33: Estimating Magic Item Gold Piece Values. If it duplicates any of these effects, use their formulas. Finally, if all else fails, use the spell effect formulas, with the cost of Quicken Spell (4 levels higher) figured in if you want the activation to be faster than normal for the base spell.

Thurbane
2009-10-15, 07:55 AM
Q 251

Which (if any) of the following stack for the purpose of increasing unarmed damage: Improved Natural Attack, Superior Unarmed Strike and the Increased Unarmed Damage class feature of the IotDM prestige class?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-15, 11:36 AM
A 251 All of them.

Absent other conflicting inputs such as a Monk's Belt, these all stack together. Superior Unarmed Strike provides a (potentially adjusted) base damage figure. Though both of the other two give their own "step" damage increase progression, they're each following the weapon size progression of DMG Table 2–2: Increasing Weapon Damage by Size.
The damage for this natural weapon increases by one step, as if the creature’s size had increased by one category: 1d2, 1d3, 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 2d6, 3d6, 4d6, 6d6, 8d6, 12d6.

A weapon or attack that deals 1d10 points of damage increases as follows: 1d10, 2d8, 3d8, 4d8, 6d8, 8d8, 12d8.
Increased Unarmed Damage (Ex): At 4th level, the damage dealt by an initiate’s unarmed attacks increases by one die step (such as from 1d3 to 1d4, or from 1d8 to 1d10). At 8th level, it increases another die step. Size increases from different sources stack without issue. So start with Superior Unarmed Strike, then follow DMG Table 2–2 up the appropriate number of size steps.

Dr. Burglar
2009-10-15, 03:15 PM
Q252
What book and page are the stats for the strongheart halfling

Vangor
2009-10-15, 03:23 PM
Q252
What book and page are the stats for the strongheart halfling

A 252

Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, Pg. 18.

Stegyre
2009-10-15, 04:52 PM
Q 253
From the Half-Elf SRD monster description:

Elven Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-elf is considered an elf. Half-elves, for example, are just as vulnerable to special effects that affect elves as their elf ancestors are, and they can use magic items that are only usable by elves.
Does this (particularly, but not exclusively, the bolded language) mean that a half-elf qualifies for feats with a racial prerequisite of elf? (E.g., Otherworldly or Elf Dilettante? If not, why not? (I'm just trying to understand the difference, if any, between, on the one hand, being vulnerable to spell effects, etc., that affect elves and able to use magic items usable only by elves, versus the ability to choose a feat limited (or partially limited) to elves.)

Q 254
What are the traits of native outsiders? From the SRD, I can see dark vision 60', and (unlike "regular" outsiders) the ability to be raised/rezzed/reinc and the need to eat, sleep and breath.

Does taking the native template (such as by the Otherwordly feat, above) also grant the Outsider weapon and armor proficiency? (My thought would be no: that for PCs, at least, these would be determined by character class, just as saves, HD, BAB, and skill points are determined by class, unless your race starts with more than one racial HD.)

Also, this question arose when someone mentioned in another thread that native outsiders were immortal. Is there any RAW support for that? :smallconfused:

barteem
2009-10-15, 05:31 PM
Q 255

How would one go about finding rules for a bow that does +str damage?
I found a feat from the DDO MMO that looks like this.

Feat Summary: Base Attack Bonus +4, Weapon Focus: Ranged, Point Blank Shot, Any of: Power Attack, Combat Expertise, Weapon Specialization: Ranged, or Zen Archery

But that's it. Anyone have an idea?

Claudius Maximus
2009-10-15, 06:01 PM
A 255 Perhaps

Composite bows allow the wielder to add her strength bonus to damage, up to a maximum determined when the bow is constructed.

Ponce
2009-10-16, 12:31 AM
Q256

Unintelligent creatures don't gain skill points or feats when they gain HD, but do they still get ability score boosts (at levels 4, 8, etc)?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-16, 01:05 AM
A 256

From the Monster Manual:
Ability Score Improvement

Treat monster Hit Dice the same as character level for determining ability score increases. This only applies to Hit Dice increases, monsters do not gain ability score increases for levels they "already reached" with their racial Hit Dice, since these adjustments are included in their basic ability scores.

Ianuagonde
2009-10-16, 03:42 AM
Q 257

Is there a feat/item/class feature that allows you to charge over difficult terrain?

Killer Angel
2009-10-16, 04:05 AM
Q 258

A Symbol must be placed on an inanimated object, even if movable (i think that the bouncing ball of Xykon works by raw).
So, can i place a Symbol of pain on the frontal plate of an armor, triggered by sight, and rendering the bearer attuned to the symbol?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-16, 04:52 AM
A 257

There are quite a few ways to overcome difficult terrain. If you Tumble while charging you can increase the skill DC by 2 for light obstructions or by 5 for severe obstructions.
Jumping during a Charge

You can make a long jump to avoid an obstacle as part of a charge, as long as you continue to meet all other criteria for making a charge before, during, and after the jump. The Leap Attack feat (Complete Adventurer) incorporates a Jump, allowing you to hop over a stretch of difficult terrain. The racial feat (warforged or dwarf) Stable Footing in Races of Eberron allows you to move unimpeded over difficult terrain. The Dread Pirate prestige class (Complete Adventurer) gains Acrobatic Charge at 4th level, allowing them to charge across difficult terrain. The Combat Acrobat tactical feat (Players Handbook II) allows you to treat up to 4 squares of difficult terrain as normal while moving. Boots of the Battle Charger (Magic Item Compendium) allow you to charge across difficult terrain if you also have a DEX boosting item.

Warclam
2009-10-16, 09:49 AM
Q 259

If a psionic character manifests empathic transfer, using Deliver Touch Powers to designate his psicrystal as the toucher, who takes the damage, the psicrystal or its master? If the psicrystal is able to take the damage, what happens if the psicrystal attempts to absorb a poison or disease? Does it instantly get cured since the psicrystal is immune, or does the power fail?

Bulwer
2009-10-16, 12:55 PM
Q 260

Can I reassign the (non-bonus) starting feat of my familiar?

Random832
2009-10-16, 01:05 PM
A 260

Familiars are "summoned to service" by a sorcerer or wizard. I.e., they already exist and already have their starting hit dice. However, non-bonus feats in creature entries are merely typical, so you could get a familiar who has a different feat selection subject to DM approval (generally it should be a feat that a non-intelligent animal would be expected to have.)

Q 261
How do fractional hit dice (e.g. "1/2 d8") work?

Stegyre
2009-10-16, 03:09 PM
OMGoodness! I'm drawing blank stares from my panel of experts! :smalleek:

Say it isn't so. Can anyone help with the following two questions, from the previous page?

Q 253
From the Half-Elf SRD monster description: "Elven Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-elf is considered an elf. Half-elves, for example, are just as vulnerable to special effects that affect elves as their elf ancestors are, and they can use magic items that are only usable by elves."

Does this (particularly, but not exclusively, the bolded language) mean that a half-elf qualifies for feats with a racial prerequisite of elf? (E.g., Otherworldly or Elf Dilettante? If not, why not? (I'm just trying to understand the difference, if any, between, on the one hand, being vulnerable to spell effects, etc., that affect elves and able to use magic items usable only by elves, versus the ability to choose a feat limited (or partially limited) to elves.)

Q 254
What are the traits of native outsiders? From the SRD, I can see dark vision 60', and (unlike "regular" outsiders) the ability to be raised/rezzed/reinc and the need to eat, sleep and breath.

Does taking the native template (such as by the Otherwordly feat, above) also grant the Outsider weapon and armor proficiency? (My thought would be no: that for PCs, at least, these would be determined by character class, just as saves, HD, BAB, and skill points are determined by class, unless your race starts with more than one racial HD.)

Also, this question arose when someone mentioned in another thread that native outsiders were immortal. Is there any RAW support for that? :smallconfused:

Lord of Syntax
2009-10-16, 06:02 PM
Q262
can a Spellcasting PrC advance a different spellcasting PrC?

Random832
2009-10-16, 06:13 PM
? 262

Um... what? Please clarify the question.

lsfreak
2009-10-16, 06:16 PM
A262
Yes, a PrC that advances spellcasting can advance the spellcasting of another PrC that has its own spell list. And in case you meant can two spellcasting classes that both advance spellcasting advance the same spell list, yes to that as well.

Douglas
2009-10-16, 06:26 PM
A253

"Effect" is not a well defined term in D&D 3.5. I would personally rule that it does count towards feat prerequisites, but there is no clear RAW answer on this.

A254

Native outsiders automatically get darkvision 60' and proficiency with all simple and martial weapons from their type. Taking the Otherworldly feat does indeed grant weapon proficiencies by RAW.

Neither the Outsider type nor the Native subtype inherently grant any form of immortality or aging resistance or increased lifespan. Many specific kinds of outsiders may be immortal, but it does not come automatically with the creature type.

A262

A PrC that increases spells per day as if gaining a level in another class may be used to progress any class that has its own spell progression. This includes all base spellcasting classes and a few specific prestige classes. You could, for example, use Loremaster to advance Wizard, Sorcerer, Wu Jen, Suel Arcanamach, Ur-Priest, Sublime Chord, or Pious Templar. The first three I listed are base classes, the other four are PrCs that grant spellcasting independently of any other class you may have. You could not use Loremaster to advance Mystic Theurge, Ultimate Magus, Cerebremancer, Master Specialist, or Archmage.

Lord of Syntax
2009-10-16, 06:27 PM
Q262 clarification:
Would a Cleric/Wizard/(Pulling a PrC out of my hat) Pale Master/Mystic Theurge be able to have MT increase his Pale Master levels?

Starbuck_II
2009-10-16, 06:30 PM
Q 253
From the Half-Elf SRD monster description:

Does this (particularly, but not exclusively, the bolded language) mean that a half-elf qualifies for feats with a racial prerequisite of elf? (E.g., Otherworldly (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Otherworldly,) or Elf Dilettante (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Elf_Dilettante,)? If not, why not? (I'm just trying to understand the difference, if any, between, on the one hand, being vulnerable to spell effects, etc., that affect elves and able to use magic items usable only by elves, versus the ability to choose a feat limited (or partially limited) to elves.)

A 253
Yes. 1/2 Elves qualify for elven stuff.
They can enter elven Prc, take elven feats, etc.

Q 254

A 254

Traits:

Native Subtype
A subtype applied only to outsiders. These creatures have mortal ancestors or a strong connection to the Material Plane and can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be. Creatures with this subtype are native to the Material Plane (hence the subtype’s name). Unlike true outsiders, native outsiders need to eat and sleep.

So every Outsider trait except when changed here. I'll list them below

•Darkvision out to 60 feet.
•An outsider with the native subtype can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be.
•Proficient with all simple and martial weapons and any weapons mentioned in its entry.
•Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Outsiders not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Outsiders are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
• Native outsiders breathe, eat, and sleep.

No, there is no support for immortality. Planar Handbook pg 18 says they are not and lists their max age categories (they live at most 150 years: 90 vulneable + 3d20).

Edit: Ninjaed

Douglas
2009-10-16, 06:31 PM
Mystic Theurge cannot advance Pale Master casting. It could advance Wizard casting, though, which would have the same net effect.

More importantly, Pale Master cannot advance Mystic Theurge casting. If you want your double class casting progression you have to actually take the double casting PrC.

Starbuck_II
2009-10-16, 06:39 PM
Q 263
The spell Fire shuriken seems to last forever until used.
Basically, like Exploding Runes they seem to be meant for preparing in advance. Stacking till have a huge amount.

Unless I missed something in their description. Do they really last till used?

tyckspoon
2009-10-16, 07:10 PM
A 263

Yes, the Fire Shurikens last until used. Duration: Instaneous means they are a real, permanent thing that cannot be dispelled (this is rather unusual for an Evocation.)

Thurbane
2009-10-16, 07:19 PM
Q 264

How does the Practiced Caster feat work for a Chameleon? Would it boost the CL of his Arcana and Divine casting? Would it boost both at the same time if he was using dual focus?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-16, 07:49 PM
A 261

"Fractional hit dice" are used for some monsters, such as the bat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/bat.htm). Monsters of a particular type share hit dice size, and vary in the number of HD. Some small creatures use fractions of one hit die. For the 1/8 HD bat, use the standard animal d8 die, and divide by 8. Round down, but not below 1 hit point.

Random832
2009-10-16, 10:13 PM
Q 261 Clarification

The hit point calculation part is easy. I meant how do fractional hit dice work for rules based on a number of hit dice, like 'maximum total hit dice affected'? Do they only get a fraction of their constitution bonus, too? Eight bats per HD, or one? Does a zombie bat have 1/4d12?

KillianHawkeye
2009-10-16, 10:31 PM
A 258 Probably.

As far as I can tell, the only limitations on where you place a symbol of X is that it must be "on a surface." It's at least implied that it must be a solid surface, so the surface of a lake probably won't work.

Of course, the real answer to a question this vague is "ask your DM what surfaces he/she will allow."

Curmudgeon
2009-10-16, 11:14 PM
Q 261 Clarification

The hit point calculation part is easy. I meant how do fractional hit dice work for rules based on a number of hit dice, like 'maximum total hit dice affected'? Does a zombie bat have 1/4d12?
They work as stated.
Drop any Hit Dice from class levels (to a minimum of 1), double the number of Hit Dice left, and raise them to d12s. So zombie bats are indeed 1/4 (double the usual 1/8) HD, and those are d12s. Add up the HD of all creatures involved for effects like Control Undead.
Do they only get a fraction of their constitution bonus, too? Eight bats per HD, or one? No, because the rules specify adding the CON bonus to each roll of a hit die, even if there's multiplication by some fraction thereafter.

You apply your character’s Constitution modifier to:

* Each roll of a Hit Die (though a penalty can never drop a result below 1—that is, a character always gains at least 1 hit point each time he or she advances in level). Each bat gets its CON bonus added after the fractional multiplication.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-16, 11:24 PM
A 264 It doesn't.
You can’t use any abilities gained from your aptitude focus, ability boon, or mimic class feature abilities to qualify for a feat, prestige class, or other option.
Choose a spellcasting class that you possess. Your spells cast from that class are more powerful. Chameleons are only spellcasters when they apply their Aptitude Focus class feature; Practiced Spellcaster requires you to have spellcasting by virtue of your class; and the rules preclude using spellcasting gained through Aptitude Focus to qualify for feats like Practiced Spellcaster.

It's just not RAW legal.

Forbiddenwar
2009-10-17, 02:24 AM
Q 265

I've tried to find a RAW ruling on this, but can't.

Does an undead creature trap the soul of the person inside it, or has the soul already moved on.

For example, can Player A, instead of casting Soul Bind, animate the body as a skeleton for the exact same effect.

I know resurect and true resurect don't work until the body is destroyed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/trueResurrection.htm) (or targeted (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#undeadType), the D20srd seems to contradict itself here) Is that because the soul is trapped inside?

Xenogears
2009-10-17, 04:01 AM
A265 I don't know if there is a RAW ruling on it but one can surmise that it does trap the soul based on the powers of True Resurrection. That spell does not require the body of the deceased but cannot be used on someone who is an undead until they are destroyed. This implies that something about being an undead causes the soul to be incapable of returning to life. This technically need not be that it is imprisoned in the undead form but it is the most likely thing.

Faleldir
2009-10-17, 10:40 PM
Q 266 Two questions about Versatile Spellcaster:
1: Does the spell you cast have to be from the same class as both spell slots you use?
2: What happens if you automatically know your spells?

Stegyre
2009-10-17, 11:19 PM
A 266

Q 266 Two questions about Versatile Spellcaster:
1: Does the spell you cast have to be from the same class as both spell slots you use?
Yes. You are exchanging two spells of a lower level for one of a higher levelof the same class. Many spells appear on more than one class list at different levels; spell-casting classes get spell levels at often significantly different character levels (compare bards with wizards; rangers with clerics). The different spell lists, themselves have different potencies: certain otherwise-powerful classes are purposefully limited to a relatively weak spell list. Allowing cross-class slot trades violates all of these points and creates all kinds of brokenness.

Even within the same spell list, if you allow a trade of (numerous) sorcerer spell slots (which have less value, because they are limited to the sorcerer's spells known) for higher-level, less numerous, but virtually unlimited (in choice of spells) wizard slots, you've just violated the fundamental balance difference between wizard and sorcerer. Now, no one's going to say these two classes were well balanced against each other, but you've misapplied the feat to exacerbate the problem.

2: What happens if you automatically know your spells?
Nothing in particular. Some people have suggested that Beguilers, who automatically know all spells on their spell list are able to use this feat to get spells of any level, but the express wording of the feat rules this out:

You can use two spell slots of the same level to cast a spell you know that is one level higher.
You must already know the spell before you may trade in spell slots for it. As no class (to my knowledge) allows you to learn a spell until you are eligible for it by class level, you may only use VS to get new slots up to a level you can already cast.

(One exception: you could use Heighten Spell in conjunction with VS to cast a known lower-level spell at a level higher than you naturally have by class level. You are still meeting the VS requirement to cast a known spell of a higher level.)

Yahzi
2009-10-18, 11:42 AM
Q 267

A. Does a Portable Hole work inside a Forbiddance?

B. Does this mean you can climb inside the portable hole and then Planeshift/teleport out of the area of the Forbiddance?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-18, 12:11 PM
A 267 A. No.
Forbiddance seals an area against all planar travel into or within it. The Dungeon Master's Guide describes the Portable Hole as creating an extradimensional space.
When spread upon any surface, it causes an extradimensional space 10 feet deep to come into being. Though not explicitly defined, extradimensional spaces are described as demiplanes.
Demiplanes: This catch-all category covers all extradimensional spaces that function like planes but have measurable size and limited access. Since Forbiddance blocks planar travel, and the inside of a Portable Hole is a demiplane, it will not open inside the area of a Forbiddance spell.

B. This question is meaningless.

Eldrys
2009-10-18, 05:10 PM
Q 268

According to the DMG, a party of four humans, with one class level each, is a CR 5 encounter((1st level human=1 CR, add two CR when number of foes is doubled), so how do you do linear guild style encounters?

Stegyre
2009-10-18, 05:18 PM
Q 269
I'm trying to figure out how a wand of Anyspell would work. Would this be the best thing since sliced bread (allowing you to cast any 1st or 2nd level arcane spell, as needed, assuming that you have the 15 minute casting time available and a handy spellbook with extensive lists of lower level arcane spells).

Or would it be totally useless, as the spell description says the spell prepared "occupies your 3rd-level domain spell slot," (which would be the slot formerly occupied by the Anyspell, and most characters will either not have any such slot or (for clerics) will either already have something there (which I suppose they could swap out for the result of the Anyspell) or would have already used it.

Douglas
2009-10-18, 08:44 PM
A268

I think your problem is a misconception regarding the CR system. Challenge Rating (or Encounter Level, as CR technically applies only to single creatures) is a measure of what level party something should be a typical encounter for. If CR = party level, the fight should pose little real danger to the party and they should expend about 20% of their daily resources to beat it on average. Major encounters and boss fights can and should have an encounter level higher than the party level. A difference of two or three makes for a dangerous and difficult fight but still something a fully rested party would be expected to reliably win. An encounter four levels higher than the party, such as a clone party or linear guild situation, is perfectly suitable for those times when you want a very tough fight that the party stands a significant chance of actually losing. A level+4 encounter should stand about a 50% chance of actually beating the party, exactly as you'd expect when a party faces off against its clones, and should be a difficult fight that leaves the party low on resources even if they do win.

Short version: Just go right ahead and toss the linear guild at them. An encounter four levels above the party is perfectly suitable for major and recurring villains. Just be prepared for the possibility of a PC dying or the party losing.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-18, 09:19 PM
A 269

Anyspell in a wand would be totally useless, as it does not function unless in a 3rd level Clerical domain slot. A Cleric couldn't even prepare Anyspell in a 4th level domain slot and have it work.

Warclam
2009-10-19, 11:49 AM
Q 259

If a psionic character manifests empathic transfer, using Deliver Touch Powers to designate his psicrystal as the toucher, who takes the damage, the psicrystal or its master? If the psicrystal is able to take the damage, what happens if the psicrystal attempts to absorb a poison or disease? Does it instantly get cured since the psicrystal is immune, or does the power fail?

Seems like this one got lost in the shuffle. Reposting in hopes of getting an answer.

Agent_0042
2009-10-19, 12:07 PM
Q270
Is there any arcane caster class that uses wisdom as its spellcasting attribute?

Stegyre
2009-10-19, 12:07 PM
A 259
The psion, not the psicrystal, takes the damage. By RAW, the psicrystal is not manifesting the power, it is simply being used as the agent to accomplish the "touch." Under Empathic Transfer, "You heal another creature’s wounds, transferring some of its damage to yourself."

Under Deliver Touch Powers, "If the owner and psicrystal are in contact at the time the owner manifests a touch power, he can designate his psicrystal as the 'toucher.' The psicrystal can then deliver the touch power just as the owner could. As usual, if the owner manifests another power before the touch is delivered, the touch power dissipates." Note two things about this description: (1) the psicrystal is never identified as manifesting the power; it is the "toucher," not the "manifester"; (2) if you, the manifester, manifest another touch power, you dissipate the power being held by the psicrystal -- again emphasizing the point that this is your power, not the psicrystals.

The same answer would probably still apply even in the case of channeling a power through the psicrystal. Using that ability, the psicrystal is treated as the "originator," and ranges are calculated from its locations, but that is still not the "manifester," and the purpose of identifying the psicyrstal as the originator seems to be solely for purposes of resolving issues such as line-of-sight, line-of-effect, range, etc.

Q270
Is there any arcane caster class that uses wisdom as its spellcasting attribute?
Not to my knowledge, but I cannot help but say that you would probably be SAD if you received an affirmative response. :smallwink:

Superglucose
2009-10-19, 02:43 PM
Q271
Does Pounce work while mounted?
Q272
Does Leap Attack work while mounted, i.e. if I make my animal leap, do I get the bonus for Leap Attack?
Q273
I'm sure you saw this coming, but if the answer to 272 is "yes", how does this stack with Spirited Charge?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-19, 05:34 PM
A 271, 272, 273: No, no, and no.

If you have pounce or Leap Attack, you must be the one doing the moving to make use of those abilities. If your mount is doing the moving then the mount would need the abilities, and it would get their benefit.
Benefit: You can combine a jump with a charge against an opponent. If you cover at least 10 feet of horizontal distance with your jump, and you end your jump in a square from which you threaten your target, you can double the extra damage dealt by your use of the Power Attack feat.
Pounce

When a creature with this special attack makes a charge, it can follow with a full attack—including rake attacks if the creature also has the rake ability.

Claudius Maximus
2009-10-19, 06:47 PM
Q 274

Is the bonus damage to charge attacks granted by the stance Leading the Charge multiplied by critical hits or effects that multiply damage?

Q 275

Would the bonus damage granted by the strike War Leader's Charge apply to all attacks made as part of a charge if the initiator can make multiple attacks on a charge?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-19, 07:39 PM
A 274 Not exactly.

Leading the Charge provides a bonus to damage rolls. The way D&D damage works, you roll your dice multiple times for multiplied damage. Leading the Charge bonus is added to each roll. This is numerically equivalent to multiplying the bonus damage in most (but not necessarily all) cases.

A 275 No.

The wording of War Leader's Charge uses the singular, so its benefit is limited to a single attack.
If your charge attack hits, it deals an extra 35 points of damage.

Mauril Everleaf
2009-10-19, 09:59 PM
Q 276
What is the name of the feat (and where do I find it) that allows you to still apply fire damage to things that have fire resistance/immunity?

Milskidasith
2009-10-19, 10:08 PM
A 276 Partial

I believe it was called Searing Spell. As for the location, I'm not sure.

Godskook
2009-10-19, 10:09 PM
A276

Searing Spell, Sandstorm, P.53

Tavar
2009-10-20, 08:57 AM
Q277:
If an attack roll matches one's AC, what happens?

Douglas
2009-10-20, 09:05 AM
A277

It hits. Any time you have a roll vs a fixed number to determine success or failure, the roll wins ties.

Mauril Everleaf
2009-10-20, 11:37 AM
Q 278
Is there a way for a non-arcane character to get a familiar without dipping into an arcane class? If so, is there a way to advance it? I am wanting to get one for my Archivist.

ericgrau
2009-10-20, 11:47 AM
Q 268

According to the DMG, a party of four humans, with one class level each, is a CR 5 encounter((1st level human=1 CR, add two CR when number of foes is doubled), so how do you do linear guild style encounters?

Easy. You give the enemies a higher CR than the party's level. CR = party level is not meant to be at all hard. You are meant to fight 4 of them to day and expend some resources, but chance of PC death is extremely low. Try CR = party level + 4 or more for an "overwhelming" fight. Remember NPCs get less gear than PCs (and even then that's a ton of treasure), so it might not be a 50:50 chance of a TPK.

And IIRC NPC CR = level -1, but I can't find that rule anywhere so I could be blowing smoke.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-20, 12:34 PM
A 278

Yes, but the solution is roundabout. A divine spellcaster with the feat Southern Magician (from Races of Faerûn) can cast a divine spell as an arcane spell. The feat Obtain Familiar (Complete Arcane) requires arcane caster level 3rd and Knowledge: Arcana 4 ranks. Familiars advance according to their master's class levels in the classes which qualify for familiars, which would be your Archivist's class levels as long as you had these two feats and met their prerequisites.

Stegyre
2009-10-20, 12:50 PM
A 278 Disputed
Based on FAQ, Southern Magician would not qualify a divine caster for the Obtain Familiar Feat:

Can a wizard with the Southern Magician feat qualify
for prestige classes that require you to be able to cast a
divine spell?
The Southern Magician feat does not allow you to cast
divine spells per se. It only allows you to change the spells into
divine spells once they have been cast. Thus, you won’t qualify
for prestige classes that require you to be able to cast a divine
spell. The Southern Magician feat only gives the bonuses
specifically listed in the feat’s description.(source (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20030221a))
Obtain Familiar requires arcane caster levels. Southern Magician does not give any arcane caster levels. In fact, it gives no caster levels at all: it provides only the specific benefits listed in the description, which in this context, is simply the ability to change the descriptor of a cast spell from arcane to divine, or vice-versa.

FAQ is not RAW, but it is instructive. Nothing in the Southern Magician description indicates that it gives you an arcane (or divine) caster level.

Side note: if you want a familiar that badly, get one as a cohort from Leadership. It may not have all the benefits of a familiar, but it has other benefits a familiar doesn't, including (a) more hit points (up to character level -1, with an appropriate feat and leadership score); (b) more readily replaceable; (c) more feats; (d) no penalty for loss; (e) potential for character classes.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-20, 01:07 PM
A 278 Disputed

It only allows you to change the spells into divine spells once they have been cast.
I was concerned about this point before I wrote my initial answer, so I checked the requirement thoroughly. Note that the FAQ question only concerned the ability to cast <type> spells. This is not required to have a <type> caster level, according to the Glossary definition.

caster level

A measure of the power with which a spellcaster casts a spell. Generally, a spell's caster level is the spellcaster's class level. "Arcane caster level 3rd" can be met by having caster level 3rd, and being able to make those spells arcane; i.e., the requirement can be satisfied in piecemeal fashion. This is a less stringent requirement than being "able to cast <type> spells", which necessitates the spell be of the appropriate type during the casting.

I stand by my answer.

Ravens_cry
2009-10-20, 01:52 PM
Q 279
Can you have Favoured Enemy against a specific person? What about a family, like a feud or vendetta?

Random832
2009-10-20, 01:54 PM
A 279

No. It is very explicitly spelled out as being a creature type (and subtype for humanoids and outsiders)

It'd be a waste anyway in this case - if it's a specific family of humans, just take humans as favored enemy - there's no downside, and you can fluff it however you want.

Stegyre
2009-10-20, 01:57 PM
"Arcane caster level 3rd" can be met by having caster level 3rd, and being able to make those spells arcane; i.e., the requirement can be satisfied in piecemeal fashion. This is a less stringent requirement than being "able to cast <type> spells", which necessitates the spell be of the appropriate type during the casting.
The problem is that the requirement is less stringent only if that interpretation of "arcane caster level" is correct, which is the very point disputed.

"Arcane caster level" is undefined (unfortunately). It could mean having any sort of caster levels plus the ability to make a spell arcane. In that case, "arcane" is not modifying "caster level" but the sort of spell one is able to cast.

I would be far more comfortable interpreting "arcane" as modifying "caster level": the adjective modifies the noun it immediately precedes, rather than one that is only inferred. By that definition, only classes that grant arcane spell casting (or PrCs that progress the same) give "arcane caster levels."

I stand by my answer.
As do I. I think the issue is adequately stated on both sides, and the reader can draw his own conclusion. I am afb, but I believe at least once or twice in one of the books there is a discussion as to the meaning of different types of requirements. While I think it is specific to the context of whether an SLA or SNA may meet a requirement, that information may be relevant here, but otherwise, I'd consider this topic closed.

Thurbane
2009-10-20, 03:34 PM
Q 279
Can you have Favoured Enemy against a specific person? What about a family, like a feud or vendetta?
A 279 partial
The Urban Ranger variant may have something close to what you're looking for:

At the game master's discretion, an urban ranger may select an organization instead of a creature type as his favored enemy. For example, a character might select a particular thieves' guild, merchant house, or even the city guard. The favored enemy bonuses would apply to all members of the chosen organization, regardless of their creature type or subtype.

Stegyre
2009-10-20, 04:42 PM
Q 280
Available means for temporarily acquiring a feat (particularly where you have a reasonably free hand in choosing the feat). I'm aware of the following:
Feat Leech (power): steal a psionic or metapsionic feat from another character.
Hero-something (spell): gain a fighter bonus feat for the spell's duration.
Chameleon's bonus feat (class ability): choose a feat, may be changed once/day.

Any others?

Human Paragon 3
2009-10-20, 06:44 PM
Q 281

Since a factotum has an effective caster level that allows him to cast spells of the wizard list, does that mean that for the purpose of reading scrolls and using wands, he counts as having those spells on his spell list?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-20, 08:31 PM
A 280 partial

A Domain Draught (Magic Item Compendium) will temporarily acquire the granted power of a Clerical domain (http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/JHtB/domains.html), some of which grant feats.
Elixir of the Dark Speech (Book of Vile Darkness) gives the imbiber access to the Dark Speech feat.
Many magic items grant feats (http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/JHtB/feats.html) to their owners; you could use such an item.
The The Regalia of Evil (Book of Vile Darkness) can grant Lichloved, Dark Speech, Evil Brand, and Verminfriend depending on how many items of the set are owned.

The spell you're looking for is Heroics (Spell Compendium).
Lots of other spells grant feats, too.
The Alter Self line of spells will acquire racial bonus feats of the assumed form.
Bite of the Wearbear and Bite of the Weretiger effectively give you the Multiattack, Blind-Fight and Power Attack feats.
Bite of the Wearboar and Bite of the Werewolf give you the Blind-Fight feat.
Bite of the Wearrat and Nightstalker's Transformation give you the Weapon Finesse feat.
Favor of the Martyr grants the Endurance feat.
Strategic Charge grants the Mobility feat.
Scent grants a subset of the Track feat, limited to tracking by smell.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-20, 08:38 PM
A 281 No.

Factotums are not spellcasters; their "caster level" is only for computing their capabilities with their spell-like abilities which mimic spellcasting; they also lack spell lists entirely. Factotums cannot use any wands without recourse to Use Magic Device, even if a wand contains a spell the Factotum mimics as a spell-like ability.

Agent_0042
2009-10-20, 10:54 PM
Q 282
Aside from Augment Summoning and Frostburn's Beckon the Frozen, are there any other feats that let you improve your summoned creatures in a similar manner?

Magnor Criol
2009-10-20, 10:55 PM
Q 283 A bag of holding is special because "its inside is larger than its outside dimensions". What happens if a bag (or a Heward's Handy Haversack) gets dispelled or disjoined? The bag "opens into a nondimensional space," so do you simply lose all the items as the connection to the space is lost, or does the bag basically explode as all of a sudden all of the items try to exist in the same spot?

Irrelevant tangent: why is this no longer a sticky thread?

-E- Curse you, coincidence ninja! Number edited.

powerdemon
2009-10-20, 11:11 PM
A 283
The extra-dimensional space in the bag is just not accessible during that time.

Kosjsjach
2009-10-21, 03:47 AM
Q 284 (3.5)

Is it beneficial to equip armor on a minotaur zombie, and if so, which is best?

Stegyre
2009-10-21, 12:33 PM
Q 285
Do we have any feats, powers, spells, class abilities, whatever that would permit a character to "cast" a power as a spell?

(I'm just noting that a number of powers that are similar to spells have a range of "personal," where the corresponding spell is "touch." Cf. Animal Affinity. Ordinarily, this poses a limitation on the power, but if the power somehow becomes a spell, it is now persistable.)

Godskook
2009-10-21, 12:43 PM
A 282

Try reading up on this (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872758/Mastering_the_Malconvoker). There's feats, classes, and just about anything else you'll need to build a goodhigh quality summoner.

sonofzeal
2009-10-21, 12:57 PM
A 284

Armor works the same on a zombie as it does on a character. However, they're not proficient. This is only a factor if the armor in question has an Armor Check Penalty though, so Mithral Chain Shirt is still a good option.

Obahai
2009-10-21, 02:48 PM
Q286

which book has the stats for mephistopheles?

jokey665
2009-10-21, 03:09 PM
A286
Fiendish Codex II - Tyrants of the Nine Hells, p. 153

Thurbane
2009-10-21, 03:45 PM
Q 287

Can the Ability Focus feat be applied to other feats that require a save, such as Three Mountains?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-21, 04:01 PM
A 287 Generally no.

Ability Focus only applies to special attacks. If something is not described using exactly that language, Ability Focus is invalid. Three Mountains does not use the term "special attack".
Ability Focus [General]

Choose one of the creature’s special attacks.

Prerequisite: Special attack.

Rasman
2009-10-21, 06:39 PM
Q288: My DM is having us choose two Traits and a Flaw for our characters, but I can't find anything about them in my core book. What books would I need to look at to find Traits and/or Flaws?

jokey665
2009-10-21, 07:14 PM
A288
Traits (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm) and flaws (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm), straight from the SRD. :smallsmile:

Rasman
2009-10-21, 08:35 PM
A288
Traits (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm) and flaws (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm), straight from the SRD. :smallsmile:

well...don't I feel dumb...

...thanks a ton :smallbiggrin:

Stegyre
2009-10-22, 01:04 AM
well...don't I feel dumb...

...thanks a ton :smallbiggrin:
You can get a few more [edit: scrubbed; not an approved site, sorry].

Reaper_Monkey
2009-10-22, 08:23 AM
Q 289

I'm confused as to how hellfire shield from the Hellfire Warlock (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061207a&page=3) works exactly. To me it can mean a number of different things some of which are much better than others, can someone clear up exactly how it works please?

My current theories are:

You can generate and lower the shield at will as a free action and must pay 1 con per blast generated from a melee attack (optional use of blast), the shield has an infinite duration.
You can pay 1 con and generate the shield at will as a free action, any melee attacks may be responded to by a blast of hellfire at no cost, the shield lasts 1 round.
Same as point 2, however the duration lasts until your choose to fire off a blast at which point it expires instantly (thus only one blast per generation of the shield).
There is no visible "shield" effect needed to be generated, instead you have the ongoing effect to counter any melee attack made against you with a blast of hellfire which costs your 1 con per blast. (In theory this could therefore also be used whilst flat-footed or unconscious.)

Douglas
2009-10-22, 08:35 AM
A289

The important part you are apparently missing is this:

Whenever someone directs a melee attack against you, you can, as an immediate action, aim a blast of hellfire at that creature.

There is no visible shield effect. Any time someone attacks you in melee you can choose to blast him at the cost of 1 point of con. Doing so takes your immediate action and therefore prevents using any immediate or swift action abilities or spells until after the end of your next turn, including a repeat use of the same ability - you can only use this ability once per round at most.

You cannot take immediate actions while flat-footed, so the shield is not usable in that case or when you are unable to take actions at all such as when you are unconscious.

Reaper_Monkey
2009-10-22, 08:41 AM
A289

Ah, that clears it up perfectly, totally overlooked that. Thankie very much.

Navigator
2009-10-22, 03:37 PM
Q230

How much does a strand of prayer beads (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#strandofPrayerBeads) cost with only a bead of karma in it? The pricing in the SRD seems to indicate 20,000g but I have seen a myriad of different prices for this on this and other forums. If the cost is not 20,000g please explain how you arrive at this price.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-22, 04:03 PM
A 230 (should be 290)

The price of a Strand of Prayer Beads containing only a Karma bead is 20,000 gp. The price of 25,800 gp for the Strand printed in the Dungeon Master's Guide is an error. The correct price of 45,800 gp is printed on page 263 of Magic Item Compendium.

EndlessWrath
2009-10-22, 04:24 PM
Q291
How does DR work? If I have DR 5/adamantine does it mean i have dr for weapons made of adamantine? like.. wolverine attacks me i ignore 5 points? or does it mean anything BUT adamantine i have dr against.

-Wrath

jokey665
2009-10-22, 04:29 PM
A231 Is this actually the right number? Pretty sure it isn't.

DR 5/Adamantine means only adamantine weapons penetrate it, so an iron/mithral/silver/etc weapon will have its damage reduced by 5, but an adamantine weapon will deal full damage.

It's the same for all DR, so DR 5/bludgeoning means that maces and the like will deal full damage, but a longsword for example would not.

EndlessWrath
2009-10-22, 04:42 PM
A231 Is this actually the right number? Pretty sure it isn't.

DR 5/Adamantine means only adamantine weapons penetrate it, so an iron/mithral/silver/etc weapon will have its damage reduced by 5, but an adamantine weapon will deal full damage.

It's the same for all DR, so DR 5/bludgeoning means that maces and the like will deal full damage, but a longsword for example would not.

Yes it was the right number >.< Its temporary but I'm hoping it'll work.
Q292
Umm. As a warforged I take adamantine body for DR 2/ adamantine. and crusader gives me a strike called Stone Bones: Strike ---Gain DR 5/adamantine... Do they stack?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-22, 05:50 PM
A 292 No.

Damage reduction is always the total amount subtracted from an attack. Unless specifically noted otherwise, all damage reduction operates in parallel; you take the best of all your DR abilities. In your case that's DR 5/adamantine.

UglyPanda
2009-10-22, 06:59 PM
Q. 293
Are a marshall's auras typed? Or are they untyped and thus stack with everything but themselves?

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-22, 07:02 PM
A293

All bonuses granted by a marshal’s auras are circumstance bonuses that do not stack with each other

That's the text. Right before the bolded "minor aura" listing.

Thatguyoverther
2009-10-22, 07:08 PM
Q 294

When attempting to trip with a melee weapon, does the target take damage? I assume since it's a melee touch attack to initiate it that it wouldn't, but then again you are using a pointy object to attack someone's legs.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-22, 09:06 PM
A 294 No.

You're making a melee touch attack to initiate a trip attempt. It does no damage.

Xenogears
2009-10-23, 12:00 AM
A286-Addition

Mephistopheles also has stats in the BoVD.

xPANCAKEx
2009-10-23, 01:10 AM
Q295

can someone please provide me a link to the killer gnome build - sleep depravation is messing with my google-fu, so i can't be sure im looking at the right thing

Stegyre
2009-10-23, 11:34 AM
Q 296
What is the difference between an "extradiminsional space" (such as a bag of holding) and a "nondimensional space" (such as the one accessed by a Rod of Security)?

Q 297
The description of Magic Artisan (FRCS) seems a little ambiguous. If it's only a 25% reduction in gold cost, it is a subpar version of Extraordinary Artisan (ECS), as MA is limited to a single item creation feat. Is MA perhaps supposed to reduce all three "costs" by 25% (time, gold, XP)?

EDIT:
Q 298
This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128803) went absolutely nowhere, an important question (to me) remains unanswered: does the Inspire Spell Power feat (RoS) increase item creation CL or only spellcasting CL?

Yora
2009-10-23, 01:29 PM
A 296

I think it's highly probable that "nondimension" should really have been "extradimension". I've never seen that term appear anywhere and if there would be a clear distiction, it would be mentioned in the iteams description.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-23, 01:38 PM
A 296

Nondimensional speces are simply not constrained by individual dimensions; they will have volume and weight limits, but allow you to put long, unwieldy items away conveniently. No connection to another plane is necessitated -- but nor is it countermanded; you'll need a DM judgment call on this issue.

Extradimensional spaces are explicitly on their own demiplanes.
Demiplanes: This catch-all category covers all extradimensional spaces that function like planes but have measurable size and limited access.
One thing that may be confusing you is the incorrect use of nondimensional in the description of Portable Hole, which is otherwise consistently described as extradimensional:
When opened fully, a portable hole is 6 feet in diameter, but it can be folded up to be as small as a pocket handkerchief. When spread upon any surface, it causes an extradimensional space 10 feet deep to come into being.
Each portable hole opens on its own particular nondimensional space. Since a Portable Hole has explicit measured size, it is not nondimensional.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-23, 01:49 PM
A 297

The current version of Magical Artisan is in Player's Guide to Faerûn on page 41. The cost reduction is not limited to just gp.
Benefit: Choose one item creation feat that you possess. When you make an item with that feat, you pay only 75% of the normal cost to create the item. Once something (spell, feat, prestige class, or whatever) has been superseded by a new item with the same name, or an official named replacement (such as Nerveskitter for Kaupaer’s Skittish Nerves), the old item is invalid. So sayeth the Wizards of the Coast.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-23, 01:54 PM
A296 contention:
The demiplane is defined as an extradimensional space that functions like a plane but has measurable size and limited access. This could be read as demiplanes being a subset of the set of extradimensional spaces, a subset that is defined by measurable size. The subset having this quality would not necessitate the whole set to have this quality.
In short: extradimensional spaces might not be defined by measurable size. DM judgment call might be wise.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-23, 02:03 PM
A 298

Inspire Spellpower increases someone else's effective caster level for as long as you maintain the song, and for 5 rounds thereafter. Item creation requires 8 hour work days, whereas Bardic Music was intended as a short-duration combat ability. Your DM will need to decide how long you can maintain each Bardic Music song, and thus whether you have enough daily uses to fill 8 hours of crafting time.

Defiant
2009-10-24, 09:48 AM
Q 299

Is it possible to duel-wield metamagic rods and benefit from each or both?

Claudius Maximus
2009-10-24, 10:01 AM
A 299 No.

A caster may only use one metamagic rod on any given spell

Though you could hold one in each hand, remember that you need at least one free hand to use somatic components. If you had the Still Spell feat or were casting a spell with no somatic component, you could choose which rod to use.

minchazo
2009-10-24, 09:46 PM
Q 300:

Does shuriken or skiprocks count as 'light weapons' for the purpose of the Swashbuckler's insightful strike or similar abilities?

Q 301:

Is there a method to reduce total concealment to partial concealment, in order to hit someone with Improved Precise Shot?

industrious
2009-10-24, 11:16 PM
Q 302:

Does this nova combo work?

chained empowered maximized hellcat gauntleted mystic lightning'd warmage edged repeated lesser orb of electricity, for 219 damage over the course of 2 rounds, for a 3rd level spell slot. Add in Chain spell for 13 additional targets, with 109 damage over two rounds for them and a Ref save for half.

The Breakdown of the combo:

Lesser orb of electricity @ CL 13 for 5d8
Chain spell, from lesser metamagic rod of chaining
Sudden Maximize feat-Maximize spell
Empowered Spellshard(lesser orb of electricity) item or Sudden Empower feat-multiply all variable, numeric effects by 1.5
Hellcat Gauntlets-add 1d6 to spell damage
Repeat spell + Arcane thesis-metamagic cost equal to +2
Ring of Mystic Lightning- +4d6 damage
Warmage edge for +3 damage due to INT modifier

Curmudgeon
2009-10-25, 12:34 AM
A 300 No.

Light is a melee weapon categorization. As ranged weapons, shurikens and skiprocks are not in that category.
Insightful Strike (Ex): At 3rd level, a swashbuckler becomes able to place her finesse attacks where they deal greater damage.
Benefit: With a light weapon, rapier, whip, or spiked chain made for a creature of your size category, you may use your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier on attack rolls. Insightful Strike is only for Finesse weapons, and Weapon Finesse (the Swashbuckler 1st level bonus feat) allows melee weapons to use Dexterity instead of Strength for their attack modifier. Ranged weapon attacks already use Dexterity, and are thus doubly ineligible for Weapon Finesse (and consequently Insightful Strike).

minchazo
2009-10-25, 08:06 AM
Q 300 Additional:

What about using Insightful Strike with a thrown dagger? Is that possible?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-25, 01:11 PM
A 300 additional

This one is slightly ambiguous, but I'd still say no. A dagger is a light weapon when used in melee. Insightful Strike requires Finesse attacks, which you cannot do at range.

Mauril Everleaf
2009-10-25, 01:21 PM
Q 303
Is there a way to get the telepathic bond with a monstrous cohort that wizards get with their familiars? Preferably via a spell, item or feat(s) and not class levels.

Zen Master
2009-10-25, 02:14 PM
Q: 304

About the warmind prestige class.

Maybe I'm just not reading the entry right. What I'm doing is making a barbarian 5/warmind 3, by using the Educated feat to get the necessary knowledge skills.

So ... what will my manifester level be? Equal to my warmind level? Or ... since the entry makes no real mention, caster level zero?

Random832
2009-10-25, 05:33 PM
A 304 Your War Mind level

The variables of a power’s effect often depend on its manifester level, which is equal to your psionic class level.

Since War Mind grants power points and has its own progression rather than advancing an existing manifesting class, it seems clear it counts as a psionic class for the purpose of this definition. You also need a power point reserve to enter the class - look at the feat Wild Talent.

Thurbane
2009-10-25, 08:40 PM
Q 303
Is there a way to get the telepathic bond with a monstrous cohort that wizards get with their familiars? Preferably via a spell, item or feat(s) and not class levels.
A 303
The Linked armor property (MIC) allows this 3/day, for an hour at a time.

Theo Hammond
2009-10-26, 08:32 AM
Q305

Heh, signed up just to ask this one;

Vampiric Touch (PHB p298)
I have read a few times on here that the temporary hit points gained from VT do not stack over multiple castings of VT, with the caster instead only ever recieving the best results of each effect.

But where is this stated? I don't read it in the spell description and nor do i see it in the PHB's section on temporary hit-points (p146).

(If such text can be sited does it cover temporary hit-points from multiple sources, not just from multiple uses of the same source?).

Divinech
2009-10-26, 11:50 AM
Q306
ToB related question:
Is it possible to combine a Strike with Power Attack? For example, initiating a Foehammer (ToB 59) and additionally trade 2 points of your base attack for Power Attack to deal even more damage.

(Generally I would have said "yes, it's possibe", but the phrasing of the feat Stone Power (ToB 32) indicates that it is generally not possible... :smallconfused: )

Edit: Thanks, Stegyre :smallsmile:

Stegyre
2009-10-26, 02:16 PM
A 305 (Partial)
FWIW, the psionic power Vigor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/vigor.htm) contains the language you are thinking of: "Using this power again when an earlier manifestation has not expired merely replaces the older temporary hit points (if any remain) with the newer ones."

A 306
Specifically for Foe Hammer and Power Attack, yes, they may be combined. Initiating Foe Hammer, you "make a melee attack against a single foe."

Power Attack allows you "to subtract a number from all melee attack rolls and add the same number to all melee damage rolls."

Generally, you must look at the specific language of a strike/maneuver to determine whether it may be combined with PA (or any other feat, ftm).

There is no conflict with the Stone Power feat.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-10-26, 07:32 PM
A 305
More Specifically:

Same Effect More than Once in Different Strengths: In cases when two or more identical spells are operating in the same area or on the same target, but at different strengths, only the best one applies.

Two separate castings of vampiric touch are the same effect, and different values of temporary hit points are different strengths. You can stack temporary hit points from different sources, though, as clarified by the FAQ.

Do temporary hit points from two applications of the
same effect stack? What about from different effects? If I
have temporary hit points from multiple sources, how
should I apply damage?

Temporary hit points from two applications of the same effect don’t stack; instead, the highest number of temporary hit points applies in place of all others. Temporary hit points from different sources stack, but you must keep track of them separately.

For example, imagine a character who gained 15 temporary hit points from an aid spell. After taking 8 points of damage, she has 7 temporary hit points left from the spell. If another aid spell were cast on the same character granting 12 temporary hit points, this total would replace the other spell’s total, meaning the character would now have 12 temporary hit points (rather than 19). If the character then cast false life on herself, she would add the full benefit of that spell to the temporary hit points from the aid spell.

This also applies to temporary hit points gained from energy drain and similar special abilities. Each successful attack counts as one application of the effect (meaning that an attack that bestows 2 or more negative levels still counts as only one application of the effect). For example, a wight gains 5 temporary hit points each time it bestows a negative level with its slam attack. If it bestows another negative level while it has 2 temporary hit points remaining from the first attack, the new temporary hit points would replace the old ones.

Temporary hit points are “first-in, first-out.” Damage should be taken off the oldest temporary-hit-point-granting effect first; when that effect is exhausted, apply damage to the next oldest effect. For this reason, you must track each supply of temporary hit points separately.

El Dorado
2009-10-26, 07:59 PM
Q 306 D&D 3.5e

Can you use a standard action to cast a spell that is normally cast as a swift action?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-26, 08:28 PM
A 307 No.

While you can "downgrade" a standard action to instead use a move action, there is no such path to get to swift actions. There is a limit of one swift or immediate action per round.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-10-26, 08:48 PM
Above Q&A should be 307. 306 had been asked and answered before my clarification to 305.

Coidzor
2009-10-27, 05:24 AM
Q308: What's the source of this Racial Paragon class? I've seen some references to Human Paragon and wanted to look it up.

powerdemon
2009-10-27, 05:28 AM
Q308: What's the source of this Racial Paragon class? I've seen some references to Human Paragon and wanted to look it up.

A 308

That would be Unearthed Arcana. I don't have the book in front of me to check the page though.

weenie
2009-10-27, 08:09 AM
Q 309

Can a magical weapon have two of the same special abilities? For example, could you have a sword with two Flaming special abilities, that did an extra 2d6 fire damage on hit?

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-10-27, 09:09 AM
A 308 (Expansion)
The bulk of Unearthed Arcana was released as Open Game Content. It has since been included on many SRD websites.

On two of the most popular SRD sites:
Sovelior Sage:http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/unearthedParagon.html
d20SRD.org: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm

[hr]
A 309
No. This is another example of the general rule that multiple applications of the same effect do not stack.

Thurbane
2009-10-27, 08:30 PM
Q 310

Is there any way to flank with yourself (i.e. not using another creature, or Bag of Tricks etc.)? At higher levels, would Trickery Devotion allow you to do this?

Q 311

Do miss chances from different sources stack? If I have Blur & Displacement active on me, do I get 2 miss chances (one at 20% and one at 50%), or just a flat 50%?

Grynning
2009-10-27, 09:59 PM
A 310

Curmudgeon will tell you that you can never flank with yourself, as the glossary definition of flank says "with an ally" or something of that nature. The actual rules text for flanking (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#flanking) does not include that language, so the topic is still up for debate. There is a feat, called Adaptable Flanker, in PHB II, that could theoretically let you flank with yourself if you had the reach.

A 311

Miss chances from concealment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#concealment) do not stack. Blur grants concealment, so it wouldn't stack with any other form of concealment, such as the total concealment from Displacement.

If you have a miss chance from another source, you'd roll for each. So if you have Blink active, and concealment, you roll for a 20% chance to miss from the concealment, and then if that hits, roll a 50% chance to miss from the Blink.