PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XI

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Curmudgeon
2009-10-27, 11:10 PM
Re: A 310

According to official D&D rules, the Glossary part of the Player's Handbook is "actual rules text". Or, to use the proper terminology, all parts of the Player's Handbook qualify as the primary source for information about how to play the game, including what's required for flanking. Players Handbook II is a secondary source, and in conflicts you're required to defer to the primary source.

The answer to the question is no.

jokey665
2009-10-27, 11:12 PM
Players Handbook II is a secondary source, and in conflicts you're required to defer to the primary source.

I thought you were supposed to defer to the newer source?

Grynning
2009-10-27, 11:14 PM
310 discussion can be continued in the new thread Thur started if desired: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129769

Curmudgeon
2009-10-27, 11:28 PM
I thought you were supposed to defer to the newer source?
No. You defer to the Primary Source. I've cited that rule in the linked discussion thread.

The rule about newer material is for replacements of the same type (class, spell, feat, or whatever) and with the same name, or something that's officially named as a replacement. So Kaupaer's Skittish Nerves in Magic of Faerûn is officially replaced by Nerveskitter in the Spell Compendium, because that's a named replacement. And the Expert Tactician feat in Complete Adventurer replaces the one in Song and Silence, even though they have little in common beyond the same name.

KitsuneKionchi
2009-10-28, 01:17 AM
Q 312

Blighter's prerequisite includes "must have been a druid...". If you recieve an attonement and regain your Druid powers, would you lose access to your Blighter abilities?

It seems like its ok to me....until you want to prepare Blighter spells again (which requires you to deforest an area of land; definately a druid no-no). The reason I'm asking is I'm wondering if you could just choose a druid variant, such as Urban Druid, that doesn't care about blighting plantlife...then use that to have your cake and eat it too.

Adamaro
2009-10-28, 02:12 AM

I as a DM have at my disposal 11.000 gp and must for this amount w. magic items reward a PC (lvl 8 wiz.):
I have no idea, what to buy. (core only) Sugesstions please!

powerdemon
2009-10-28, 02:40 AM

I as a DM have at my disposal 11.000 gp and must for this amount w. magic items reward a PC (lvl 8 wiz.):
I have no idea, what to buy. (core only) Sugesstions please!

A 313
I would use the random treasure tables in the Dungeon Master's Guide and roll one item at a time. Then subtract the price of the item rolled from the 11,000gp until you reach 0 or close to it, then fill out the rest with whatever money is left.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-28, 03:47 AM
A 312 No.

Firstly, I know of no such thing as an "Urban Druid". The Cityscape Web Enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) allows you to swap out some particular parts of the Druid's class features, such as Woodland Stride and Trackless Step, but not all such class features. Secondly, if you could choose a Druid variant that did not care about plant life, then you would not lose that class's abilities by turning away from nature. As you would never be an ex-Druid you could not qualify to become a Blighter. Thirdly, the purpose of Atonement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/atonement.htm) is to renounce your prior patterns of behavior. Your plan is directly at odds with that purpose, and thus when seeking atonement you should expect not to find it; the deity would continue to forbid you spellcasting.

Adamaro
2009-10-28, 04:38 AM
A 313
I would use the random treasure tables in the Dungeon Master's Guide and roll one item at a time. Then subtract the price of the item rolled from the 11,000gp until you reach 0 or close to it, then fill out the rest with whatever money is left.

Tnx for the answer, BUT ...

Guy who rewards this lvl 8 wiz is his stepfather, lvl 18 wiz. He KNOWS what his little stepson/apprentice would need. So random loot is not really an option. So let me rephrase te question: You are a lvl 8 wiz. You have 11.000 gp. What do you buy(backpack, shovel, rope, etc. excluded)? (core only)

powerdemon
2009-10-28, 06:47 AM
Tnx for the answer, BUT ...

Guy who rewards this lvl 8 wiz is his stepfather, lvl 18 wiz. He KNOWS what his little stepson/apprentice would need. So random loot is not really an option. So let me rephrase te question: You are a lvl 8 wiz. You have 11.000 gp. What do you buy(backpack, shovel, rope, etc. excluded)? (core only)

Well then that answer falls outside the scope of this thread. Advice isn't covered under rules. :smallwink: You would need to start a new thread for that.

Boren
2009-10-28, 09:32 AM
Q 314 + 315
2 questions
1.Was there a half demon/half devil in 3.5 (non-unique)
2.Is there a spell/ritual that lets you bind a demon/devil/elemental to an item to improve its magical abilities or am I just miss remembering reading extract gift from FC1?:smallconfused::smallconfused::smallconfused:

Fitz10019
2009-10-28, 09:45 AM
Q316
3.5e

Can the owner of glamered armor choose it's 'normal clothing' appearence from moment to moment, or does it have only one alternate appearence? Considering it costs more than a hat of disguise, I think it should be a moment-to-moment choice. If so, can it be used to imitate a specific uniform, or a well-tailored suit, or a cleric vestments?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-28, 04:17 PM
A 316
Upon command, the armor changes shape and form to assume the appearance of a normal set of clothing. The armor retains all its properties (including weight) when glamered. You can't change the armor's appearance "from moment to moment", but you can use a command word as a standard action to alter its appearance. You would need to negotiate with your DM about the details of exactly how many varieties of normal sets of clothing the command word could produce.

Adapting your movement to simulate a much lower weight would be outside of the scope of what the magic item can do.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-28, 04:31 PM
A 314 No.

There is no "half-demon" or "half-devil" in D&D 3.5, which instead has the "half-fiend" template (Monster Manual, pages 147-149). Fiends include both demons and devils.

Boren
2009-10-28, 07:28 PM
A 314 No.

There is no "half-demon" or "half-devil" in D&D 3.5, which instead has the "half-fiend" template (Monster Manual, pages 147-149). Fiends include both demons and devils.

Sry guess I was not being clear on what I was asking... I was looking for somthing that was both demon and devil. A hybrid outsider if you will... I know there is a celestal demon hybrid in one of the books coulden't recall if there was also one for demon and devil

Magnor Criol
2009-10-29, 12:59 AM
Q 317
I'm unclear on what qualifies as a legal target for the metamagic feat "Chain Spell". It says that "any spell that specifies a single target and has a range greater than touch" can be affected; is this limited to simply spells whose Target/Effect/Area entry is listed as Target?

It seems like it should apply to ray spells (and things like Logic Ninja's guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104002&highlight=Logic+Ninja%27s+Guide) agree with this) while it doesn't feel like applying it to things like, say, the Orb spells makes sense - but they're both "effect" spells and I can't determine where, by RAW, to draw the line.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-29, 04:49 AM
A 317

Chain Spell is indeed limited to spells which have a Target: descriptor line.
Aiming A Spell

You must make some choice about whom the spell is to affect or where the effect is to originate, depending on the type of spell. The next entry in a spell description defines the spell’s target (or targets), its effect, or its area, as appropriate.

Target or Targets: Some spells have a target or targets. You cast these spells on creatures or objects, as defined by the spell itself.
Effect: Some spells create or summon things rather than affecting things that are already present.
Area: Some spells affect an area.
... The other spells you're talking about are Effect (Effect: Ray or Effect: One orb of ...) spells rather than Target spells and are thus ineligible for Chain Spell. The word Target in reference to D&D spells has a specific definition, rather than the broader English word meaning you were thinking of.

Magnor Criol
2009-10-29, 10:26 AM
A 317

Chain Spell is indeed limited to spells which have a Target: descriptor line. The other spells you're talking about are Effect (Effect: Ray or Effect: One orb of ...) spells rather than Target spells and are thus ineligible for Chain Spell. The word Target in reference to D&D spells has a specific definition, rather than the broader English word meaning you were thinking of.

So the final word is, in fact, that ray spells are ineligible for Chain Spell?

Thanks. That's what I thought (though not necessarily what I wanted to hear. =p )

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-10-29, 07:21 PM
Q. 318
DnD 3.5

Does taking levels in Uncanny Trickster allow you to use Racial Substitution levels if you do not have enough "real" levels?

E.g. Can Sorc7/Uncanny Trickster 2 gain Sorc9 Sub Level when he hits Sorc7/Uncanny Trickster 3?

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-10-29, 09:22 PM
A 318
In the case of Uncanny Trickster, it would be allowable. Since you gain the actual class features of the Sorcerer class, and the substitution level is replacing the actual class features.

Note that the normal rules of the Uncanny Trickster existing class features apply. If your racial substitution level gains an improved hit die or skill points for that level, you still do not get those.

Dimers
2009-10-29, 11:09 PM
Q. 319

The first paragraph describing an animal companion in the sidebar of PHB page 36 says to treat them as magical beasts for the purpose of all type-dependent effects, which would certainly include some spells. But the last sentence of the "Share Spells" paragraph on the same page gives the type as "animal" while specifically referring to spellcasting. So what I want to know is:

Can the druid affect the companion with animal-only spells? Can other people affect the companion with animal-only spells?

Xenogears
2009-10-29, 11:17 PM
A 312 No.

Firstly, I know of no such thing as an "Urban Druid". The Cityscape Web Enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) allows you to swap out some particular parts of the Druid's class features, such as Woodland Stride and Trackless Step, but not all such class features. Secondly, if you could choose a Druid variant that did not care about plant life, then you would not lose that class's abilities by turning away from nature. As you would never be an ex-Druid you could not qualify to become a Blighter. Thirdly, the purpose of Atonement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/atonement.htm) is to renounce your prior patterns of behavior. Your plan is directly at odds with that purpose, and thus when seeking atonement you should expect not to find it; the deity would continue to forbid you spellcasting.

The Urban Druid is from the Dragon Compendium. Basically a druid but replace nature with cities and animals with constructs. I do not have the book with me right now so I cannot check but I believe that you can fall as an urban druid but then you would be an ex-urban druid as it is actually a seperate class not just a variant.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-10-30, 06:40 AM
A 319
As per the PHB errata (available here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a)), a druid's animal companion is an animal for all effects, not a magical beast.

Animal Companion
Player’s Handbook, page 36
Contrary to the text, a druid’s animal companion is not treated as a magical beast; it remains an animal. Trim the first paragraph of the sidebar so that it reads as follows:

A druid’s animal companion is superior to a normal animal of its kind and has special powers, as described below.

drengnikrafe
2009-10-30, 04:50 PM
Q. 320
What are the races that are Large in size with the lowest number of levels that must go into them (combination LA and racial HD)? Please note, I am NOT looking for a medium race with powerful build, but something that specifically says it is Large in size.

Starbuck_II
2009-10-30, 04:57 PM
Q. 320
What are the races that are Large in size with the lowest number of levels that must go into them (combination LA and racial HD)? Please note, I am NOT looking for a medium race with powerful build, but something that specifically says it is Large in size.

A. 320
Are you looking for a template or just a race?
Because +1 LA template: you can be a 1/2 Ogre or 1/2 Minotaur (both increase size to large).

Douglas
2009-10-30, 04:57 PM
A320

Half-Ogre from Races of Destiny is large for LA +2 and no racial hit dice. I don't think there is anything with lower LA and HD than that, except possibly somewhere in Dragon magazine.

Gorbash
2009-10-30, 08:11 PM
Q 321

What happens if a character has two miss chances from two different sorts? For example, Blink and Displacement? I know they don't stack, so do you roll percentage twice or just use one of those two?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-30, 08:31 PM
A 321

Actually, the miss chances from Blink and Displacement do stack. That's because Blink provides a 50% miss chance from concealment, and Displacement's miss chance is merely the same percentage.
The creature benefits from a 50% miss chance as if it had total concealment. Stacking, for miss chances, means you either (a) roll them consecutively (stopping when there's a miss), or (b) roll once using the hit chance product (in this case .5 x .5 = 25% chance of being hit, or 75% of being missed). If two spells both offered the same type of miss chance (e.g., both provided magical concealment) they would not stack and you would instead just use whichever miss chance was higher.

Gray5656
2009-10-31, 03:12 PM
Q322
The Martial Study and Martial Stance feats from ToB require you to meed the necessary initiator level, as well as meeting the other maneuver prerequisites, correct?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-31, 03:16 PM
A 322 Yes.

You must meet all requirements that are not specifically waived by those feats themselves.
If you lack any martial adept levels, your initiator level is equal to 1/2 your character level.

Tanaric
2009-10-31, 04:13 PM
Q323

Is it possible for a Druidic Avenger to take the PHBII Shapeshift ACF, or is it required to have an animal companion to sacrifice?

IthilanorStPete
2009-10-31, 05:00 PM
Q324

When figuring how many bonus spells a caster gets from their ability score, is the bonus from something like a Headband of Intellect +6 included?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-31, 05:11 PM
A 323

A Druidic Avenger is ineligible for the Shapeshift ACF. You can't trade a feature you don't have for some other feature.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-31, 05:16 PM
A 324 Yes.

Do note that this is a temporary gain, and loss of the item's benefits, even temporarily such as from a targeted Dispel Magic, will cause a loss of all the extra spells prepared from your boosted INT. There is no RAW statement regarding what happens when the INT boost comes back, so your DM is free to rule that all such spells are gone until you prepare them again.

IthilanorStPete
2009-10-31, 05:19 PM
Q324 continued

Is there an explicit statement that such items give bonus spells, or are you going by lack of a statement saying they don't?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-31, 07:36 PM
A 324 continued

There does not need to be an explicit statement about such items, because the rules, in piecemeal, do not allow anything else.
The ability that governs bonus spells (see Chapter 3: Classes) depends on what type of spellcaster your character is: Intelligence for wizards; Wisdom for clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers; or Charisma for sorcerers and bards. In addition to having a high ability score, a spellcaster must be of high enough class level to be able to cast spells of a given spell level. (See the class descriptions in Chapter 3 for details.) For instance, the wizard Mialee has an Intelligence score of 15, so she’s smart enough to get one bonus 1st level spell and one bonus 2nd-level spell. (She will not actually get the 2nd-level spell until she is 3rd level wizard, since that’s the minimum level a wizard must be to cast 2nd-level spells.)
Enhancement Bonus

An enhancement bonus represents an increase in the sturdiness and/or effectiveness of armor or natural armor, or the effectiveness of a weapon, or a general bonus to an ability score.
Headband of Intellect

This device is a light cord with a small gem set so that it rests upon the forehead of the wearer. The headband adds to the wearer’s Intelligence score in the form of an enhancement bonus of +2, +4, or +6. This enhancement bonus does not earn the wearer extra skill points when a new level is attained; use the unenhanced Intelligence bonus to determine skill points. An item that increases INT through an enhancement bonus creates a new Intelligence score. The rules require that you use the character's Intelligence score to determine bonus spells. The rules do not specify using the Intelligence BASE score, so trying to except any bonuses or penalties from the current score when calculating bonus spells would be breaking the rules.

AngelOmnipotent
2009-11-01, 12:11 PM
Q 235

Do ranged touch spells count as touch spells with regards to a Duskblade's Arcane Channeling ability?

Douglas
2009-11-01, 12:13 PM
A235

No, they do not. "Touch" in this case refers to the range of the spell, not the kind of attack roll required.

Gorbash
2009-11-01, 03:24 PM
Q324 continued

Is there an explicit statement that such items give bonus spells, or are you going by lack of a statement saying they don't?

It's kind of a silly question. Why else would there be an item that adds to intelligence if it didn't add bonus spells?

It's like asking whether strength bonus gained through bull's strength adds to attack and damage.

Random832
2009-11-01, 03:49 PM
Q234 continued

It's like asking whether strength bonus gained through bull's strength adds to attack and damage.

wait a minute. Does intelligence bonus gained through fox's cunning add bonus spells? If so how does it work (Cast it at preparation time, at prep time and again before you can cast spells from the bonus slots, cast and you can only use it if you cast the newly prepared spells during preparation [e.g. all-day buffs])

powerdemon
2009-11-01, 04:26 PM
Q234 continued

wait a minute. Does intelligence bonus gained through fox's cunning add bonus spells? If so how does it work (Cast it at preparation time, at prep time and again before you can cast spells from the bonus slots, cast and you can only use it if you cast the newly prepared spells during preparation [e.g. all-day buffs])

No that wouldn't work, as soon as the spell wears off the first time, you lose all bonus spells from that higher score. You would need the effect to be present until you used those spells. Fox's would just raise Spell save DC's and such.

Xenogears
2009-11-01, 09:09 PM
Well you could always use those bonus slots gained from Fox's Cunning before the spell ran out....

tyckspoon
2009-11-01, 09:41 PM
Well you could always use those bonus slots gained from Fox's Cunning before the spell ran out....

Fox's Cunning specifically does not work for bonus spells. Other Int bonuses might, however, going by the rules for adding things like Turn Undead uses: You would gain the slot as soon as your Int was sufficiently high. Whether or not said slot was 'prepared' and capable of receiving a spell would be up to your DM. You would have to keep the Int bonus while you prepared the spell and until you cast it. Practically speaking, that means hour/level effects or longer, and maybe 10 min/level for high level casters, probably with Extend.

KitsuneKionchi
2009-11-01, 09:43 PM
Q236:

What is the exact wording/ruling on not gaining extra skill points when you level due to temporary buffs such as fox's cunning? (If there is such a ruling.)

IthilanorStPete
2009-11-01, 09:45 PM
A236:
You don't gain additional skill points. Quoth the SRD:

When an ability score changes, all attributes associated with that score change accordingly. A character does not retroactively get additional skill points for previous levels if she increases her intelligence.

Stegyre
2009-11-01, 10:11 PM
Q236:

What is the exact wording/ruling on not gaining extra skill points when you level due to temporary buffs such as fox's cunning? (If there is such a ruling.)
A 236 Additional.
How about the SRD description of Fox's Cunning, itself:

Wizards (and other spellcasters who rely on Intelligence) affected by this spell do not gain any additional bonus spells for the increased Intelligence, but the save DCs for spells they cast while under this spell’s effect do increase. This spell doesn’t grant extra skill points.

Inhuman Bot
2009-11-01, 10:55 PM
Q 237(?)

Can you take weapon focus for spells? And thus, Improved critical?

Stegyre
2009-11-01, 11:40 PM
A 237
Yes, sort of. From the feat description:

Choose one type of weapon. You can also choose unarmed strike or grapple (or ray, if you are a spellcaster) as your weapon for purposes of this feat.

Thurbane
2009-11-02, 12:35 AM
A 237 cont.

The rules are fully spelled out in Complete Arcane, in the section on Weaponlike Spells (p. 85).

Ionari
2009-11-02, 09:50 AM
Q 238

The spell description for Ice Slick (Frostburn, p100) says:

"Any creature entering the area or caught in it when the spell is cast must make a successful Balance check or slip, skid, and fall."

No DC for the Balance check is given in the spell description. What is the DC for the skill check?

Thanks!

dariathalon
2009-11-02, 06:03 PM
Q 239

Can an improvised weapon be used to make an Attack of Opportunity? I thought the answer was no, but I can't find anything one way or the other in the rules. If they can be, are the any special rules with respect to this?

Thurbane
2009-11-02, 07:18 PM
A 238

There seems to be no official answer to this (no entry in the Frostburn errata, or the Wizards 3.5 FAQ). I would suggest either the same DC as Grease (as a level 1 spell that does roughly the same thing), or the DC is the standard spell DC (10 + spell level + ability modifier + misc modifiers).

Ravens_cry
2009-11-03, 11:09 AM
Q240
Does the weight of the armour your wearing count towards encumbrance? For example, if I am wearing studded leather, a light armour, does the 20 pounds it weighs count toward my medium load?

Douglas
2009-11-03, 11:31 AM
A240

Yes.

Coidzor
2009-11-03, 12:51 PM
Q 239

Can an improvised weapon be used to make an Attack of Opportunity? I thought the answer was no, but I can't find anything one way or the other in the rules. If they can be, are the any special rules with respect to this?

A 239: Yes, it counts as a weapon, the only difference being that the DM decides what kind of damage die it has due to what it's most similar to in terms of weight and damage capability and that whole -4 penalty for being non-proficient.

But it can be used just like a regular manufactured weapon in terms of attacking with it, and if one gets an attack of opportunity, one gets an attack of opportunity.

Icebird
2009-11-03, 04:12 PM
Q 241
Any way to make a weapon throwing character viable at higher level?

As I understand it, I would need as much different magic weapons as I can throw per round, as there is no enchant or specific weapon to my knowledge that allow to be thrown multiple times in a round.
So, when I can throw 6 weapons in a round at lvl 11, I would need 6 different magic weapons, each imbued with returning, making the cost totally absurd.

Claudius Maximus
2009-11-03, 04:20 PM
A 241

This is beyond the scope of simple Q&A, since there are countless builds and strategies you could use. I suggest you make a new thread asking for advice.

Icebird
2009-11-03, 04:23 PM
Okie Dokie, doing that.

Fitz10019
2009-11-03, 04:49 PM
Q242
3.5e
To use a Metamagic rod, do you need to have the same metamagic feat?

Boci
2009-11-03, 04:50 PM
A242 No, you do not.

Lord of Syntax
2009-11-03, 06:14 PM
Q245:
Are warlocks bound by arcane spell failure?

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-11-03, 06:19 PM
Q245:Q243
Are warlocks bound by arcane spell failure?
A243
No. Warlock Invocations are spell-like abilities, and, as such, have no verbal, somatic, or material components. With no somatic components, there is nothing for armor to interfere with.

See below.

(Dammit. Been too long since I did anything with a Warlock.)

powerdemon
2009-11-03, 06:22 PM
A243
No. Warlock Invocations are spell-like abilities, and, as such, have no verbal, somatic, or material components. With no somatic components, there is nothing for armor to interfere with.

A 243 Correction
From the Complete Arcane. Emphasis mine.

Because the somatic components required for warlock invocations are relatively simple, a warlock can use any of his invocations while wearing light armor without incurring the normal arcane spell failure chance. However, like arcane spellcasters, a warlock wearing medium or heavy armor or using a shield incurs a chance of arcane spell failure (all invocations, including eldritch blast, have a somatic component).

Icebird
2009-11-04, 07:40 AM
Q 244

-If I have four arms and Multiple Weapon Fighting, can I throw 4 weapons in a full attack?
-Can I throw an additional weapon at -5 with a bab of +6, making it 5 throw in a round?
-If I take Improved two weapon fighting, does it allow me to throw three additional weapons at -5? (one per secondary hand)
-If not, is there a Improved Multiple Weapon Fighting feat?

katans
2009-11-04, 07:47 AM
A 244

- Yes.
- Assuming you can draw a weapon fast enough (with the Quick Draw feat, for example), yes.
- In the case of a Two-weapon fighting routine, yes, with the same limitations as above. There's no such thing as Improved Multiweapon Fighting for creatures fighting with more than two weapons, however. Yes, see below.
- Not that I knew of. Yes, see below, and I even OWN the damn book, $%&§ me.:smallfurious:

Icebird
2009-11-04, 07:50 AM
Q 244 cont.

So, a Thri-Kreen with bab +6, Quick Draw, Multiple Weapon Fighting and Improved Two Weapon fighting can throw 8 weapons in a round? 4 at full attack bonus, and 4 at -5, right?

Curmudgeon
2009-11-04, 07:59 AM
A 244 partial correction

Improved Two-Weapon Fighting does not work with Multiweapon Fighting. Improved Multiweapon Fighting is in Savage Species on page 36. (Also, Greater Multiweapon Fighting is on page 35 of the same book, and Perfect Multiweapon Fighting is on page 63 of Epic Level Handbook.) The two feat lines are not mixable.

Icebird
2009-11-04, 08:10 AM
Q 244 cont.

Is there a 3.5 version of Savage species?
I found the feats you're talking about, but the pre-requisites include Multidextry, wich doesn't exist anymore I think.
In addition, the bab required is far higher than its TWF counterpart (but maybe its normal)

Merk
2009-11-04, 08:33 AM
Q 245

Can I use Minor/Major creation to create multiple small objects, or is it limited to a single object?

powerdemon
2009-11-04, 08:34 AM
Q 244 cont.

Is there a 3.5 version of Savage species?
I found the feats you're talking about, but the pre-requisites include Multidextry, wich doesn't exist anymore I think.
In addition, the bab required is far higher than its TWF counterpart (but maybe its normal)

A 244 Cont
Just drop the Multidexterity Prerequisite.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-04, 08:35 AM
A 244 continued

Multidexterity and Ambidexterity are obsolete in D&D 3.5, but otherwise the feats from Savage Species are OK to use. There is no new publication that covers this material again. The Two-Weapon Fighting line generally requires higher DEX but lower BAB than the Multiweapon Fighting tree (DEX 15, DEX 17 & BAB +6, DEX 19 & BAB +11 vs. DEX 13, DEX 15 & BAB +9, DEX 19 & BAB +15). Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting and Perfect Multiweapon Fighting both require DEX 25.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-04, 08:37 AM
A 245

The spells are limited to a single object. You could create a single object that has narrow connections you could snap apart (like those injection-molded plastic model parts that come in flat grid sections).

Ravens_cry
2009-11-05, 03:30 AM
Q246a
Pathfinder (hope this is the right thread)
Do I get the benefit of the Vital Strike feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/vital-strike-combat---final), roll damage dice twice, on a charge?
Q246b
How does this interact with a Mounted charge with a Lance with the Spirited Charge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/spirited-charge-combat---final) feat?

Curmudgeon
2009-11-05, 04:56 AM
Re: Q 246

Actually, this thread is only for regular D&D 3.5. You want to try that other Q&A thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123432).

UglyPanda
2009-11-05, 10:10 AM
Q 247
A multiclass character retains his/her class skills in the new class, right? Is it the same with a prestige class? For example, can a rogue max out his tumble skill if he becomes a (some prestige class that doesn't have tumble ass a class skill)?

Grushvak
2009-11-05, 10:40 AM
Q248

What would be the rules for crafting magic items that give skill bonus? ie: Spectacles that give +UMD, Boots of Jumping and/or Balance, Mask of Disguise, etc.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-11-05, 10:44 AM
A 247
Maximum ranks for class skills in any of your classes is always HD +3. However, the amount you pay for each rank is based upon the source of the skill points.

For example, say you have a human Rogue 3/Fighter 2 with 8 ranks in Tumble. When he takes his sixth class level, he will have six hit dice, making his max ranks in Tumble 9. If he takes his next level in Rogue, he can take his 9th rank by paying one skill point. However, if he takes another level of Fighter, he must pay two skill points, as Tumble is a cross-class skill for Fighter.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-11-05, 10:52 AM
A 248

The rules are the same as any other magic item (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/magicItemsCreation.html). You must have the relevant feat and meet any other prerequisites (or have a friend that can supply the prerequisite for you). Items that provide a competence bonus to skills have a base market price of 100 gp times the bonus squared. This cost may be further adjusted due to body slot affinities. Even after that, like any magic item, the cost may be further adjusted for balance considerations.

Non-RAW commentary follows
Note that a number of Core (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/magicItemsPRR.html#ring-of-climbing) items (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/magicItemsPRR.html#ring-of-jumping) that (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/magicItemsPRR.html#ring-of-swimming) grant (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/magicItemsPRR.html#ring-of-climbing-improved) competence (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/magicItemsPRR.html#ring-of-jumping-improved) bonuses (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/magicItemsPRR.html#ring-of-swimming-improved) to skills have a prerequisite that the creator must have ranks in that skill, where the number of ranks is equal to the bonus. Though not RAW, this may be considered a precedent by some DMs and would therefore affect availability of items that grant large bonuses or bonuses to rare skills.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-05, 10:53 AM
A 248

You'll want to look in the back of the Dungeon Master's Guide. Basically you'll need Craft Wondrous Item, but beyond that you're generally talking about custom magic items so the particulars like what spell you need will be up to your DM. The cost is given by a fixed formula of Bonus2 x 100 gp. (That's finished cost; use the usual crafter ratios for gp and XP.)

Curmudgeon
2009-11-05, 10:56 AM
Note that the few Core items that grant competence bonuses to skills have a prerequisite that the creator must have ranks in that skill, where the number of ranks is equal to the bonus. Though not RAW, this may be considered a precedent by some DMs and would therefore affect availability of items that grant large bonuses or bonuses to rare skills.
That's bad information, I think, as the standard example item used for such crafting -- the Cloak of Elvenkind (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#cloakofElvenkind) -- has no such requirement.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-11-05, 11:09 AM
That's bad information, I think, as the standard example item used for such crafting -- the Cloak of Elvenkind (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#cloakofElvenkind) -- has no such requirement.
Interestingly, the cloak and boots of elvenkind are the only items that do nothing more than grant a skill competence bonus that have non rank-empowered prerequisites. Of course, the only other Core items that do nothing more than grant a skill bonus are the rings (which is what I considered standard… :smallwink:). And the ring of jumping even has a serviceable spell (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/spellsHtoL.html#jump) that could be a prereq instead. Maybe it's something about rings. Or maybe elven magic.

Anyway, it's a some DMs situation, anyway.

powerdemon
2009-11-05, 02:30 PM
Q 249
Is there any RAW that says how much money you can pickpocket of someone? Anything besides "one coin sized object"?

Curmudgeon
2009-11-05, 05:34 PM
A 249 No.

If you can make a Sleight of Hand check as a free action, it's up to your DM to limit how many coin-sized items you can grab in a round.
You can also perform as many free actions (see below) as your DM allows.

Inhuman Bot
2009-11-05, 05:35 PM
Q 249
Is there any RAW that says how much money you can pickpocket of someone? Anything besides "one coin sized object"?

No.

Slight of hand checks are a free action.

@^ Damn ninjas. *Fist shake*

Starbuck_II
2009-11-05, 06:20 PM
Q246a
Pathfinder (hope this is the right thread)
Do I get the benefit of the Vital Strike feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/vital-strike-combat---final), roll damage dice twice, on a charge?
Q246b
How does this interact with a Mounted charge with a Lance with the Spirited Charge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/spirited-charge-combat---final) feat?
Q246a
You can't Charge and Vital Strike. The Designers said ignore the preview.

Q246b
Since you can't charge, it doesn't.

Kosjsjach
2009-11-05, 06:34 PM
Q 250

Does the Master Spellthief feat (CS) allow a spellthief 2 (CM)/ wizard 3+ to use the spell energy stolen with Steal Spell to cast a spell he knows (which a 4th-level Spellthief can)?

Probably not, but it's worth asking.

Sharkman1231
2009-11-05, 06:40 PM
Q 251

If a spellcaster got swallowed by a/the tarrasque, would the carapace (ex) no longer apply? They would have to deal with SR and concentration and stuff.

Thurbane
2009-11-05, 08:25 PM
Q 252

Not sure if this question really belongs in this thread, but anyway...

Is there a list or index anywhere of WotC website only material...things like the Wild Cohort feat, Swiftblade prestige class, Font of Inspiration feat etc.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-05, 08:43 PM
A 252 Yes.

A substantial list has been collected here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=fd9dc7e72f94418b718967b338e3a9 ac&topic=1109.0). If that link doesn't work, search for

"A Guide to Free D&D"
(with quotes) and you'll get there.

There's also the Web Enhancement Archive (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/we).

UglyPanda
2009-11-05, 09:37 PM
Q 253
Is there an item that allows you to get more uses of Bardic Music?

Curmudgeon
2009-11-06, 01:01 AM
A 253 Yes.

A bard wielding a Songblade (Complete Adventurer, page 130) can use their bardic music abilities one additional time per day.

Adamaro
2009-11-06, 03:58 AM
What is the most expensive(how much gp?) item lvl 10 character should be allowed to buy/have? (core items only)

sofawall
2009-11-06, 04:28 AM
What is the most expensive(how much gp?) item lvl 10 character should be allowed to buy/have? (core items only)

I believe the recommended value is 1/4 of their WBL.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-06, 07:00 AM
(Please number your questions.)

A 254

From Dungeon Master's Guide on page 42:
As a general rule, a new character can spend no more than half her total wealth on a single item, and no more than one quarter the total wealth on consumables such as ammunition, scrolls, potions, wands, or alchemical items.

SpikeFightwicky
2009-11-06, 08:58 AM
Q255

How do mindless foes react to visual illusions? Specifically, if there are 4 skeletons at one end of a narrow room shooting arrows at us, and I illusionate a brick wall 'sealing' them in (I forget which illusion spell it was, but it had only a visual effect, and was not mind-affecting), how will the skeletons react? They can still 'hear' us (I'm not sure how skeletons perceive their environment), but they can't see us. Will they try to tear down the wall to get to us (breaking the illusion), or will they 'de-activate', since they no longer have a way to reach us? Also, if we step through the wall illusion to ambush them, will they follow us out if we step out?

Ianuagonde
2009-11-06, 12:39 PM
Q256

If a duskblade channels a touch spell with an attack, and the attack scores a critical hit, is the spell damage multiplied as well?

Ellington
2009-11-06, 12:50 PM
Q257

If I'm a medium character wielding a large greatsword with monkey grip, do I get increased reach?

jokey665
2009-11-06, 12:57 PM
A257
No. You don't gain reach from a weapon unless the weapon is specifically stated as having reach. And large creatures have reach based on their size, not the size of their weapons.

Fax Celestis
2009-11-06, 01:01 PM
A256 As the spell is a rider effect and not critting itself, no. If you were to crit the touch attack to land a vampiric touch without using Arcane Channeling, though, it would multiply.

Grushvak
2009-11-06, 02:38 PM
Q258
Due to playing Baldur's Gate 2 a bit too much lately, I have this strange conception that Turn Undead can be used while under the effect of a Sanctuary spell. What do the rules have to say on this? Sorry if it's been asked before.

Starbuck_II
2009-11-06, 03:55 PM
A258
Yes, you can use it, but Turn Undead is an attack effect as you are targeting others with the spell.
Now, if you are turning to empower a spell (Divine Spell power), Metamagic (DMM), etc then you aren't targeting a foe and therefore not an attack.

But Turn Undead + undead present = Sanctaury fades.

The subject cannot attack without breaking the spell but may use nonattack spells or otherwise act.

Invisibility tells us attack includes stuff like that which affects others.

Lord of Syntax
2009-11-06, 04:03 PM
Q259:
Is there anything that gives a bonus to effective wizard level?

Douglas
2009-11-06, 04:08 PM
A259

If you mean advancing spells per day and and free spells in your spellbook, nothing short of actual levels in either wizard or spellcasting PrCs does that. If you mean caster level for spell resistance, duration, damage dice, dispel DCs, etc. of your spells, then yes, there are quite a lot of ways to do that (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872350/Raising_Caster_Level).

BillyJimBoBob
2009-11-06, 05:09 PM
Q260
Is the duration for Glitterdust for the blindness, the AOE, both, or something else entirely? In case I'm not phrasing this clearly:
Does the AOE remain for the duration, effecting anyone who enters, as a Stinking Cloud would?
Or is the AOE portion of the spell "Duration: Instantaneous" (as a fireball), but the effects "cannot be removed and continue to sparkle until it fades"?

Glitterdust
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Brd 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: Creatures and objects within 10-ft.-radius spread
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (blinding only)
Spell Resistance: No

A cloud of golden particles covers everyone and everything in the area, causing creatures to become blinded and visibly outlining invisible things for the duration of the spell. All within the area are covered by the dust, which cannot be removed and continues to sparkle until it fades.

Any creature covered by the dust takes a -40 penalty on Hide checks.
Material Component

Ground mica.

My take is that the AOE and the effects last for the duration, those moving out of the AOE still must deal with the blindness (unless saved against) and the penalties to Hide and being visibly outlined if they were or become invisible, for the remainder of the duration. And anyone stepping into the AOE during the duration will suffer the effects also. But I'm not certain, or of course I would not be asking. :)

Zen Master
2009-11-06, 05:39 PM
Q. 261

When attacking from stealth, does a rogue get SA for all attacks in a full attack action - or just the first one?

powerdemon
2009-11-06, 06:03 PM
Q. 261

When attacking from stealth, does a rogue get SA for all attacks in a full attack action - or just the first one?

A 261 Just the first one unless you are also flanking.

KitsuneKionchi
2009-11-06, 06:14 PM
Q262

Long story short:

A rogue is hiding behind the cover of his mount. He dismounts and, using rules for hide that state he can move in an area with no cover, runs towards an enemy and attacks. Does he get his sneak attack damage since he was still hiding, or does he have to end his move action to get the damage?

Q263

Does a rogue using the cover of his or her mount get sneak attack damage while attacking from his or her mount if the enemy doesn't make the spot v. hide check?

Curmudgeon
2009-11-06, 07:34 PM
A 261 correction/amplification

A Rogue gets sneak attack damage on all attacks that qualify. "Attacking from stealth" has many possible interpretations. If "stealth" is provided by a Rogue/Shadowdancer with Supernatural Hide in Plain Sight, the Rogue will get to add sneak attack damage for all attacks where their Hide check beats the opponent's Spot check; continuing to remain hidden imposes a -20 penalty to Hide while attacking. A Rogue using a Belt of Battle could benefit from the Sniping application of Hide for a full attack of 3 shots, all with sneak attack damage; there's also a -20 penalty (just a different one) for subsequent Hide checks in this case. If the opponent is blinded, the Rogue can make a full attack with sneak attack damage every time since a blinded character fails all Spot checks. If a Rogue stays invisible (such as with Greater Invisibility) during their attack the opponent can't see them and thus they maintain total concealment and can usually add sneak damage to all attacks; however, a DC 40 Spot check will allow the opponent to pinpoint the Rogue's square and thus negate the "not being observed" requirement of Hide.

In the plain vanilla case of a Rogue without other conditional benefits using Hide to attack from a location of cover/concealment, the opponent will notice their attacker and negate the "not being observed" requirement for Hide after the Rogue's first attack. Without being able to Hide again, the Rogue can only get sneak attack damage on subsequent attacks if some non-"stealth" mechanism is at work, such as:
The opponent is flat-footed.
The Rogue flanks the opponent.
The opponent is grappling.
The Rogue has the Telling Blow feat and makes a critical hit.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-06, 07:56 PM
A 262

This scenario requires several actions, so I'll step through them.
The Rogue uses their mount as cover (free action use of the Ride skill).
If they're not being observed by an enemy at the time (situational dependency here), the Rogue can now Hide (no action required, as usual for this skill).
The Rogue dismounts (as a free action if they succeed on the required Ride check).
The Rogue can move to attack range of their opponent. Using the Move between Cover application of Hide (Complete Adventurer, page 102) the Rogue can make a new Hide check to see if they continued to stay hidden. (Generally a move action to close, and no action to make the new Hide check.)
If still hidden, the Rogue can make an attack (with a +2 bonus for being visually undetectable) and add sneak attack damage if they hit (standard action to attack).
There are some other possible variants. Here's one:
In step 2 the Rogue is being observed, but has the Improved Diversion feat (Complete Adventurer, page 110) and can make a Bluff check as a move action to distract the opponent.
In step 4 the mount has gotten close, and the Rogue needs only a 5' adjustment to get to attack range of the opponent.
A 263

Cover from the Rogue's mount satisfies only one of the two requirements to Hide; the other is not being observed. The Rogue can qualify for sneak attack damage if they meet the skill's requirement and their Hide check beats the opponent's Spot check. Generally it will be very difficult for a Rogue riding a mount in plain sight to avoid being observed.

Sedgewood
2009-11-06, 10:11 PM
Q264. The spell description for invisibility states that any attack, or spell whose target or effect includes a foe, ends the spell. Spells cast on unattended objects are allowed. Would casting Steeldance (which targets inanimate weapons) break the spell? It seems like the weapons are doing the attacking, not the caster, though I'm not entirely clear on what constitutes being "included in the effect.:

Curmudgeon
2009-11-07, 12:52 AM
A 264

Steeldance is not an attack, and thus casting it does not end Invisibility. However, any attack by conscious act of the spellcaster will end the spell.
The spell ends if the subject attacks any creature. ... If the subject attacks directly, however, it immediately becomes visible along with all its gear.
On your turn, each blade can make an attack at an adjacent opponent, with an attack bonus equal to your caster level + your relevant ability modifier. The blades do not attack on their own; you must will them to do so on your turn. That's a direct attack, which ends Invisibility.

Killer Angel
2009-11-07, 03:33 PM
Q 265

My DM and me disagree on the spells' "immunity" of the horizon walker with the terrain "planar aligned". (example: my DM says that "spells and abilities that harm those of the opposite alignment don’t affect you", don't comprehend Word of chaos, 'cause it didn't target a specific alignment) There is a link to the srd or the faq, with an official list of the (Core) spells affected by the HW's ability?

drengnikrafe
2009-11-07, 05:22 PM
Q. 266

I seem to recall a spell called "Improved Mage's Armor". What book is that in?

jokey665
2009-11-07, 05:27 PM
A266
I don't know about "Improved Mage Armor," but the Spell Compendium has "Greater Mage Armor" and "Mass Mage Armor" on page 163.

Faleldir
2009-11-07, 05:29 PM
Q 267
About the Circle Kick feat from S&F:
-What does "requires the full attack action" mean? Do you make one attack as a full-round action?
-Does the extra attack granted by Circle Kick also trigger Circle Kick?

drengnikrafe
2009-11-07, 05:29 PM
That's what I'm looking for. Thank you.

Da Pwnzlord
2009-11-07, 05:33 PM
How exactly do you determine the effects of an illusion of a fearsome beast? If my wizard casts a Major Image of a Dragon to scare off a band of orcs, how do I or the DM determine what happens next? The orcs believe it, unless the interact with it, and I dont think most orcs are going to poke and sniff the huge dragon that looks like it's about to eat them on the off chance it's an illusion. The orcs behave as if it was real, which would be based off CHA and ranks in Intimidate and whatnot, but the illusion doesnt have those because it's not real. If you did use the stats it would have if it was real, things can get pretty messey. If I can make an illusion of a gold dragon, I should be able to make an illusion of a gold dragon with maxxed out ranks in Intimidate. If I can make an illusion of a gold dragon with maxxed out ranks in Intimidate, why can't I make an illusion of a multi-classed Fighter 20/Wizard 20/Sorceror 20/Hexblade 20/Warlock 20 with maxxed out ranks in Intimidate? If I can do THAT, why can't I just make an illusion of Chuthulu and call it a day?

TL;DR: Is there any RAW way to determine NPC reactions to illusions?

Inhuman Bot
2009-11-07, 05:35 PM
Q 268:

If you take ability damage while polymorphed, does it carry over?

For example, if you are a wizard with STR 8, and Polymorph into a creature with STR 12, take 4 ability damage, then change back, do you have 4 STR?

Curmudgeon
2009-11-07, 05:48 PM
A 265

Understanding this ability does require careful reading.

Aligned (Planar)

You have the instinctive ability to mimic the dominant alignment of the plane. You incur none of the penalties for having an alignment at odds with that of the plane, and spells and abilities that harm those of the opposite alignment don’t affect you. You have the dominant alignment of the plane with regard to magic, but your behavior and any alignment-related Class Features you have are unaffected. The description of this terrain uses the singular in reference to the plane throughout. This is an important distinction for mastery of this particular terrain type.
Terrain Mastery

Horizon walkers take their terrain mastery with them wherever they go. They retain their terrain mastery bonuses on skill checks, attack rolls, and damage rolls whether they’re actually in the relevant terrain or not.
While the Horizon Walker will take their mastery with them, they cannot take something they have never obtained. The Horizon Walker picks up any particular alignment benefit from the plane they're on, and takes that benefit with them.

The Material Plane, where characters originate, has no alignment, and thus mastering Aligned (Planar) on the Material Plane will provide no immediate benefit. If the Horizon Walker travels to a good-aligned plane, they will not be harmed by spells that would harm those with evil aligments, such as Holy Word:
Any nongood creature within the area that hears the holy word suffers the following ill effects. If the Horizon Walker travels to a lawful-aligned plane, they will not be harmed by spells that would harm those with chaotic alignments, such as Dictum:
Any nonlawful creature within the area of a dictum spell suffers the following ill effects. The alignment of the Horizon Walker has no impact on this ability, but will also be considered in adjudicating the effects of spells that behave differently depending on a target's alignment. After traveling to both a good-aligned and a lawful-aligned plane, the Horizon Walker would not be harmed by spells that harm either evil or chaotic creatures. The Horizon Walker's own alignment would also be considered when deciding whether they can be penalized or harmed by aligned spells. This isn't spell immunity (i.e., being able to ignore a spell); rather, each spell is read in all the ways possible with all alignment descriptors on the Horizon Walker's list, and any parts of the spell that would harm those of opposite alignment do nothing. A spell that affects targets differently depending on alignment, but does not harm those targets, would still function.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-07, 05:58 PM
A 267

"This feat requires the full attack action" means you can only use the feat when making a full attack, i.e. an attack that precludes using move or standard actions in the round, but allows multiple attacks if your BAB is at least +6 or more. All successful attacks (including the bonus attacks provided by Circle Kick) allow additional attacks, but each time the target must be different from that of the triggering attack.

KitsuneKionchi
2009-11-07, 05:59 PM
A 268

Upon changing, the subject regains lost hit points as if it had rested for a night (though this healing does not restore temporary ability damage and provide other benefits of resting; and changing back does not heal the subject further). If slain, the subject reverts to its original form, though it remains dead.

So yes. You keep ability score damage. It would reflect itself as damage on your original (un-polymoprhed) ability score. This is an interpretation--since you don't heal temporary ability damage from shifting and you don't heal *anything* from shifting back, its assumed you never heal the damage.

So I hope the Wizard doesn't have 14 pounds of spell components on him...

Curmudgeon
2009-11-07, 06:10 PM
A 268 It's your DM's call.

(Note: This is the correct, first use of this question number.)

Ultimately, your illusions simulate whatever abilities the DM thinks are reasonable. Common ways of adjudicating this are to use either just the listed abilities for particular creatures, or restrict such abilities to those of creatures you've actually encountered. Has your Wizard been up close and personal with Chuthulu? :smallbiggrin:

Curmudgeon
2009-11-08, 01:50 PM
(# 268 was used twice, so this should be the next number.)

A 270

You should always read your errata:
Page 52 – Spontaneous Divination - Benefit [Revision]
The first sentence should instead read, “You can spontaneously cast any spell you know from the divination school by sacrificing a prepared spell of equal or greater level.”

Edit: It appears the original poster deleted the query as I was answering.

UserClone
2009-11-08, 02:10 PM
It should have been 269, so

Q270

Are the natural attacks of a totemist subject to changes in damage based on size? For example, if I am normally a large-sized character, and I shape Girallon Arms on my totem, do the claws deal the normal 1d4 or do they deal 1d6? Page numbers are helpful. Thanks!:smallbiggrin:

reefwood
2009-11-08, 02:36 PM
Q271

An undead Barbarian. How does that work in D&D 3.5?

a) Rage is based on Constitution modifier, so would a raging vampire not gain temporary hit points (that is usually based on higher Con mod)?

b) Would the rage only last 3 rounds (since rage is 3 +Con mod rounds, and a vampire has no Con mod). If so, is there any other way to extend rage (preferably only in core or Eberron books)?

powerdemon
2009-11-08, 02:42 PM
Q271

An undead Barbarian. How does that work in D&D 3.5?

a) Rage is based on Constitution modifier, so would a raging vampire not gain temporary hit points (that is usually based on higher Con mod)?

b) Would the rage only last 3 rounds (since rage is 3 +Con mod rounds, and a vampire has no Con mod). If so, is there any other way to extend rage (preferably only in core or Eberron books)?

A 271
They would be ubable to rage. 3+ - is -. In dnd you can't add anything to a -. It means non applicable or what have you.

Starbuck_II
2009-11-08, 02:44 PM
A 271 clarification
No, the just like you can use Concentration as a vampire: you can use Rage: but 3 rounds, no more/less.
Con of - isn't a number so you don't subtract/add. You can still use the stuff though.
Rage does not add temporary hps. It adds additional hps. This is important as additional are added last, but temporary areadded first (so temp are gone before rest of hp).

Extend Rage increases Duration of a Rage by 5 rds in Complete Warrior.

JKTrickster
2009-11-08, 05:12 PM
Q 272

As a Warlock;

a) Am I able to use my Eldritch Blast ability, even if I'm weilding a weapon in one hand?

b) How applicable is the skill Concentration?

Lord of Syntax
2009-11-08, 05:37 PM
Q 273:
Can a Soulblade//Barbarian use his mindblade while in rage?

Starbuck_II
2009-11-08, 05:52 PM
Q 272

As a Warlock;

a) Am I able to use my Eldritch Blast ability, even if I'm weilding a weapon in one hand?

b) How applicable is the skill Concentration?

A 272
Well, they are spell-like abilities, but since they have somatic components (unlike nomal spell-likes) you do need one hand free.
So use a handed weapon, 2 handed, or no weapon.
If using 2 handed, you'll need to take hand off weapon to use Eldritch blast (usually considered a free action, but ask DM).

Concentration lets you cast a spell and not provoke. This includes Eldritch blast (although you may still provoke a second time due to using a ranged attack in melee).

There is a feat called Somatic Weaponry to remove needing a hand free while holding a weapon in Complete Mage.

UserClone
2009-11-09, 12:08 AM
A273

I believe you are talking about the Soulknife class, and if that's the case, then yes. The Mind Blade ability doesn't require concentration, so it's not banned in a rage.

Godskook
2009-11-09, 01:25 AM
Q 274

Does bardic music stack if it has different effects? Such as having multiple bards providing different elemental bonuses through dragonfire inspiration.

SpikeFightwicky
2009-11-09, 01:16 PM
Q255

How do mindless foes react to visual illusions? Specifically, if there are 4 skeletons at one end of a narrow room shooting arrows at us, and I illusionate a brick wall 'sealing' them in (I forget which illusion spell it was, but it had only a visual effect, and was not mind-affecting), how will the skeletons react? They can still 'hear' us (I'm not sure how skeletons perceive their environment), but they can't see us. Will they try to tear down the wall to get to us (breaking the illusion), or will they 'de-activate', since they no longer have a way to reach us? Also, if we step through the wall illusion to ambush them, will they follow us out if we step out?

Would this make more sense as a forum discussion? Not sure if RAW covers it.

Agent_0042
2009-11-09, 04:09 PM
Q275
Is there a plus-intelligence race without a level adjustment?

IthilanorStPete
2009-11-09, 04:11 PM
A275

Yes. Gray Elves, from the Monster Manual.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-09, 04:17 PM
A 275 additional info

Fire Elf (Unearthed Arcana)
Silvanesti (Elf variant from Dragonlance Campaign Setting)
Sun Elf (Races of Faerûn)
Tinker Gnome (Dragonlance Campaign Setting)
Deep Imaskari (Human variant from Underdark)
Lesser Air Genasi (Player's Guide to Faerûn)
Lesser Fire Genasi (Player's Guide to Faerûn)
Lesser Tiefling (Player's Guide to Faerûn)

Curmudgeon
2009-11-09, 04:18 PM
Would this make more sense as a forum discussion? Not sure if RAW covers it.
I think you're right.

Thurbane
2009-11-09, 06:49 PM
Q 276

Question about the dreaded Deck of Many things. My character drew the Queen of Hearts/Key (Gain a major magic weapon). The instructions say to start rolling on table 7-10 until the character gets a weapon that is usable. This seems to bypass table 7-9, that determines how powerful the weapon is. After rolling on table 7-10, and the subsequent tables, I ended up with a +1 Flaming Javelin. The DM allowed me to re-roll, and I got a +1 Throwing Light Mace. Problem is, neither of these are a major magic weapon (major beginning at a +3 bonus, as per table 7-9). What is the proper procedure to correctly roll up the item that the Deck granted me? Also, how would you go about including the MIC in the rolling?

Curmudgeon
2009-11-09, 07:04 PM
A 276

I don't see the confusion, really. You start with Table 7-10, which refers you to some other tables, all of which refer to Table 7-9 eventually (in a nifty little footnote: "Add to enhancement bonus on Table 7–9: Weapons to determine total market price"). At that time you use the column marked Major, because that's specifically what the Key card from the Deck says to use. You can't come up with +1 weapons if you use the correct column.

I guess the lesson is: don't skip those footnotes!

tyckspoon
2009-11-09, 07:36 PM
A 276 Probably unnecessary clarification:
The method for generating a random weapon remains the same- roll 7-9 and subtables for properties, roll 7-10 for kind of weapon. The difference is the order- a normally generated random weapon creates a +3 Flaming Bane (X), and then you find out what (X) is. But the Key card must create something that is usable for you (I assume by that they mean you are proficient with it and it is the proper size category- the only thing that makes a weapon completely unusable in D&D is needing more hands to wield it than you actually have, as per trying to wield an over-sized two-handed weapon.) So you have to find out what kind of weapon you are getting first so you know you can use it, and then you find out what its properties are. Do note that rolling on 7-10 will only create a mundane masterwork weapon; it has no generated magical properties at all until you start going through the 'generate a random magical weapon' procedure again and roll on 7-9.

Lord of Syntax
2009-11-09, 07:49 PM
Q 277:
Is there a DnD search engine? (for finding feats, spells etc.)

Thurbane
2009-11-09, 08:03 PM
A 276

OK, thanks for the replies. I suppose that's what we get for skimming over the tables at the end of the session close to midnight after a few beers. :smalltongue:

Curmudgeon
2009-11-09, 10:37 PM
A 277

To my knowledge there is not a general D&D search engine. There is a search function in The Hypertext d20 SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/), which contains pretty much all the OGL (Open Gaming License) parts of D&D 3.5.

Mauril Everleaf
2009-11-09, 11:05 PM
Q 278
Can I take a 10 on a Spellcraft check to scribe a spell?

reefwood
2009-11-09, 11:08 PM
Q279

Combat Expertise. What qualifies as an action for "your next action"?

Benefit
When you use the attack action or the full attack action in melee, you can take a penalty of as much as -5 on your attack roll and add the same number (+5 or less) as a dodge bonus to your Armor Class. This number may not exceed your base attack bonus. The changes to attack rolls and Armor Class last until your next action.

Taking a move action makes sense as being an action to reset the attack penalty/AC bonus. An attack of opportunity seems like it would do it too. How about a 5-ft Step after the attack? A free action?

Curmudgeon
2009-11-10, 12:25 AM
A 278

Spellcraft (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/spellcraft.htm) isn't generally required to scribe a scroll (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#scribeScroll), only to decipher one. But if for some reason you wanted to make a Spellcraft check while not being threatened or distracted, you could "take 10".

Mauril Everleaf
2009-11-10, 12:29 AM
C 278
I meant "write into a spellbook" when I said "scribe".

UserClone
2009-11-10, 01:39 AM
A279 In this specific case, "action" is synonymous with "initiative." It resets at the beginning of your next turn.

Lord of Syntax
2009-11-10, 02:58 AM
Q 280:
Can a Sorcerer/Shadowcraft Mage//Bard use bard spells with his ScM abilitys?

Curmudgeon
2009-11-10, 03:12 AM
A 279

While it's quite possible the designers were thinking about your next turn, by stating "until your next action" the consequences are specifically limited by the RAW:
full-round actions
standard actions
move actions
free actions
swift actions
immediate actions
While you can re-apply the benefit of Combat Expertise if that next action happens to include an attack, by RAW things reset each time you take one of the above actions. This is the necessary answer if we're limited to the rules as written.

xPANCAKEx
2009-11-10, 11:10 AM
Q281

bit of a silly one... but how would you go about identifying potions and scrolls - i should know this but im drawing a blank on it (sleep depravation)

drengnikrafe
2009-11-10, 11:12 AM
A 281 (Probably Partial)

The simplest way is casting Identify.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-10, 11:14 AM
A 281

No, the simplest way is with a Spellcraft (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/spellcraft.htm) skill check: to identify potions it's DC 25, and scrolls DC 20 + spell level.

Defiant
2009-11-10, 09:04 PM
Q 282

For requirements to entry in the prestige class Master Specialist, it says that you must be able to cast 2nd level spells. Suppose you have every other prerequisite.

Are you able to go into the prestige class when you level up from lvl2 to lvl3? I.e. you're not able to cast 2nd level spells at lvl2, but you are into your level-up.

Or is the minimum possible level to enter the prestige class level 3 (and then at your level up to lvl4 you can take the PrC)?

Claudius Maximus
2009-11-10, 09:14 PM
A 282

You must meet all prerequisites of a prestige class before you take any levels in it. You must already be able to cast 2nd level spells to qualify for Master Specialist.

Pelfaid
2009-11-10, 09:26 PM
Q 283

Where is the Beguiler race located?

jokey665
2009-11-10, 09:29 PM
A283
Shining South, I believe

Logalmier
2009-11-10, 09:30 PM
Q284:

If creating a non-spontaneous spellcasting character beyond level one, is there a way by RAW to determine spells already known?

(I'm pretty tired now, so if that doesn't make sense, please tell me.)

Defiant
2009-11-10, 09:34 PM
A 283

Player's Handbook II

Q 285

Where is Factotum located?

jokey665
2009-11-10, 09:35 PM
A 283

Player's Handbook II

Q 285

First off, you are incorrect on the PHBII comment. Note that it says Beguiler race, not class. Second,

A285
Dungeonscape

Edit: I think that's my first time ninja'ing somebody on this forum. :smalltongue:

KillianHawkeye
2009-11-10, 09:36 PM
A 283

Player's Handbook II

He was asking about the beguiler race, not the beguiler class.

Q 285

A 285

Dungeonscape

EDIT: Ninja'd! :smallfrown:

Curmudgeon
2009-11-10, 10:59 PM
A 284 No.

The rules don't stipulate which particular spells a character would have had access to, so negotiate this with your DM.

Stegyre
2009-11-11, 05:32 PM
Q 286
Is there a feat (source please) that will allow Artificer levels to stack with caster levels for purposes of item creation prerequisites?

Defiant
2009-11-11, 06:39 PM
Q 287

I could have sworn I saw in the past some sort of prestige class or variant that allows you to ban another school of magic to become even stronger at your current one. I've looked at the Master Specialist and although it makes you stronger in your chosen school, you don't have to choose an additional banned school to take the PrC. Could someone elucidate whether there's a class, feature, or variant out there that makes you stronger in your chosen school while giving up a 3rd (2nd if chosen is divination) school?

jokey665
2009-11-11, 06:49 PM
A287
The feat Focused Specialist from Complete Mage trades one spell slot per level for two more specialist school slots per level, and you have to ban another school.

Claudius Maximus
2009-11-11, 08:12 PM
A 287 additional

That sounds most like the Red Wizard to me. It can be found in the DMG, but is not in the SRD.

The Incantatrix is also a contender, but it just makes you ridiculously powerful overall, as opposed to in a specific school of magic.

IthilanorStPete
2009-11-11, 10:43 PM
A287 clarification

Focused Specialist isn't a feat, it's an alternative class feature.

jokey665
2009-11-11, 10:51 PM
A287 clarification

Focused Specialist isn't a feat, it's an alternative class feature.

Ah, really? Crap, I could have sworn it was.

Tavar
2009-11-12, 12:42 AM
Q 288

Summon spells list their range as close. Does this mean that it must remain within this distance at all times, or does this just determine which squares you can summon them into?

Curmudgeon
2009-11-12, 01:31 AM
A 288

The range of Summon spells is for the initial location of monsters only. The spell's description would need to add additional stipulations beyond the Range tag.

UglyPanda
2009-11-12, 09:21 AM
Q. 289
How do monsters handle Epic Levels? Specifically, what happens if they take a class when they have over 20 Hit Dice? Or do they simply take classes as normal until they have 20 class levels?

Random832
2009-11-12, 09:29 AM
A 289

Class features are determined by the class description and table according to your class level (so they would have the first-level abilities of the class, rather than anything from the 'epic progression' which applies to class levels 21 and above). However, above 20 HD you use the epic save and attack bonus progression rather than the BAB/Saves from classes, and above ECL 20 (yes, this includes level adjustment) you may take epic feats.

Note that dragons have a more specific rule for epic feats: any level after reaching the Great Wyrm age category. While this is used for Dragonwrought Kobold cheese, the more general upshot of this is that they cannot take them until their HD are in the upper thirties.

Q 289B
May you take epic bonus feats before your 21st class level if your overall level qualifies you to take epic feats and your class has bonus feats in the ordinary class progression (fighter, wizard, etc)?

Ianuagonde
2009-11-12, 09:59 AM
Q 290

Characters using slashing/bludgeoning weapons under water suffer a -2 penalty on attacks and deal half damage. Does this also apply to creatures using slashing/bludgeoning natural weapons, such as slam?

Starbuck_II
2009-11-12, 10:19 AM
Q 290

Characters using slashing/bludgeoning weapons under water suffer a -2 penalty on attacks and deal half damage. Does this also apply to creatures using slashing/bludgeoning natural weapons, such as slam?

A 290
Yes. Natural weapons are weapons. Note that bite is all three types so does not suffer this (you treat it as the most favorable which is piercing).
Same reason Bites can bypass any Blunt/Slash/Piercing DR.
Another reason most aquatic animals have bites.

But yes, slams will suffer that stuff.

Thurbane
2009-11-12, 08:39 PM
Q 291

Was it ever errata'd or ruled anywhere that Favored Souls get Knowledge (Religion) as a class skill? It seems totally counterintuitive and idotic that a chosen servant of a God doesn't get the skill which allows him to know about his God and other things of a religious nature. :smallmad:

jokey665
2009-11-12, 08:42 PM
A291
I just checked the Complete Divine errata, and it was not mentioned there. Pretty big oversight if you ask me.

Thurbane
2009-11-12, 08:48 PM
A291
I just checked the Complete Divine errata, and it was not mentioned there. Pretty big oversight if you ask me.
Yes, I fully expected it to be in the CD errata, but no dice. Ditto for the "official" FAQ. It's the same when the FS first appeared in the Miniature's Handbook - I assumed it to be an overight that would be rectified when the class got a reboot in MH. :smallfrown:

jokey665
2009-11-12, 10:34 PM
Q292
I guess this is the best place to put this... Is there anywhere that shows what the progression of power points would be for a level 21+ Psion if they gained power points on a similar progression to what they already have? If not, is the progression based on a specific formula? Same for Psychic Warrior progression of pp. And Psionic Fist, if possible.

Eldrys
2009-11-12, 10:44 PM
Q 293

I'm sure that this item is somewhere but I cant' find it in either the SRD or the DMG.

It was and item that I think is called "feather token" that activates if you fall more than 10' and casts feather fall, then disappears.

Is this a real item? if so, where?

Dimers
2009-11-12, 10:44 PM
A292

Is there anywhere that shows what the progression of power points would be for a level 21+ Psion if they gained power points on a similar progression to what they already have? If not, is the progression based on a specific formula?

Rules for epic psi are on pages 32 to 34 of the XPH. The book has a more wordy and explanatory version of the SRD's ruling, quoted here: "Epic psionic characters do not gain additional bonus power points above 20th. They may still gain more power points as their key ability score increases." Psi characters take the feat Improved Manifestation to get more pp in epic levels.

Thurbane
2009-11-12, 10:48 PM
A 293

Sounds like the Life Ring (MIC p. 163)

jokey665
2009-11-12, 11:03 PM
A292

Rules for epic psi are on pages 32 to 34 of the XPH. The book has a more wordy and explanatory version of the SRD's ruling, quoted here: "Epic psionic characters do not gain additional bonus power points above 20th. They may still gain more power points as their key ability score increases." Psi characters take the feat Improved Manifestation to get more pp in epic levels.

I know this. That's why I'm asking if a progression like I asked for exists anywhere, because it doesn't exist in the ELH or XPH. I'm working on a homebrew version of the epic rules.

sofawall
2009-11-12, 11:12 PM
I know this. That's why I'm asking if a progression like I asked for exists anywhere, because it doesn't exist in the ELH or XPH. I'm working on a homebrew version of the epic rules.

It has no reason to exist, so I suspect it does not. A quick google and a bit of typing gave me this, however:

The quadratic regression is y = a x^2 + b x +c
where: a = 0.8421622237411697
b = 0.22211209842788548
and c = 2.267543859649095

jokey665
2009-11-12, 11:36 PM
It has no reason to exist, so I suspect it does not. A quick google and a bit of typing gave me this, however:

Pretty much exactly what I needed, thanks. How exactly did you get that? :smallconfused:

SethFahad
2009-11-13, 12:39 AM
Q 294 3.5ed

a) Is there an magical enhancement (if not, is there a feat, or spell) to increase critical threat range in ranged weapons (i.e bows or crossbows)?

I know keen is for piercing and slashing melee (only) weapons.
Impact is for bludgeoning weapons.

b) Is there a feat that allows you to make ranged death attacks?

Curmudgeon
2009-11-13, 12:58 AM
A 294 a)

You might want to check what you "know". Keen is not a melee-only weapon ability, and will work for your ammunition just fine.
Keen

This ability doubles the threat range of a weapon. Only piercing or slashing weapons can be keen. So will the Keen Edge spell:
This spell makes a weapon magically keen, improving its ability to deal telling blows. This transmutation doubles the threat range of the weapon. ... The spell can be cast only on piercing or slashing weapons. If cast on arrows or crossbow bolts, the keen edge on a particular projectile ends after one use, whether or not the missile strikes its intended target. Since your question asked about ranged weapons, as opposed to projectile weapons, the above answer is correct. I don't know of an equivalent property that would affect projectile weapons and propagate from the weapon to its ammunition.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-13, 01:03 AM
A 294 b)

I don't know of any such feat, but the spell Sniper's Eye (Spell Compendium, pages 193-194) allows death attacks up to 60'.

SethFahad
2009-11-13, 01:17 AM
A 294 a)

You might want to check what you "know". Keen is not a melee-only weapon ability, and will work for your ammunition just fine.

I know that. I was talking about weapons not ammunition...

I don't know of an equivalent property that would affect projectile weapons and propagate from the weapon to its ammunition.

That's what I was asking for...

Thank you very much Curmudgeon, as always you are the best! :smallwink:

Thurbane
2009-11-13, 02:58 AM
Q 294 3.5ed

a) Is there an magical enhancement (if not, is there a feat, or spell) to increase critical threat range in ranged weapons (i.e bows or crossbows)?
A 294 a
Improved Critical?

Lord of Syntax
2009-11-13, 04:37 AM
Q 295:
Where is the Bullywug from?

Thurbane
2009-11-13, 04:53 AM
A 295

Monsters of Faerun (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/monsters&tablesort=1)

crazedloon
2009-11-13, 11:40 AM
Q 296

if you spend x skill points in a cross class skill you gain 1/2 * x ranks. However if that skill becomes a class skill at a later point (multi-classing for example) do you still have x points in it and thus x ranks or do you have your ranks worth of points in the skill? I.E. do the points matter once they become ranks?

Random832
2009-11-13, 11:47 AM
A 296

I think your question is based on a misunderstanding about the class skill rules: A skill does not "become" a class skill except for the purpose of maximum rank. When taking a level in one class, you use that class's class skill list for the purpose of determining which skills can be bought with one skill point and which you only get half a rank for. When taking a level in a different class, you use that class's class skill list.

So e.g. a Rogue 1/Fighter 1 has a maximum skill rank of 5 for tumble, but still must spend two points to increase the rank by one on the fighter level.

dsmiles
2009-11-13, 12:21 PM
A296

So e.g. a Rogue 1/Fighter 1 has a maximum skill rank of 5 for tumble, but still must spend two points to increase the rank on the fighter level.

Exactly.

Stegyre
2009-11-13, 03:21 PM
Q 297
Divine Metamagic, Heighten Spell, reserve feats and a Sorcerer / Cleric: by virtue of having sufficient turn undead uses, an appropriate, known, 1st-level spell, and an unused 1st-level slot qualify for a high-level reserve feat usage?

For example: Sorcerer 1 / Cleric 1 with Summon Monster I (as a Sorcerer spell), Summon Elemental feat, and 9 turnings (plus DMM (Heighten Spell)). By RAW, this character may cast Summon Monster I as a 9th-level spell; therefore, does he qualify as having an unused 9th-level spell whenever he wants to use his Summon Elemental reserve feat? If not, why not? (I.e., what's the rule? Just saying, "no," does not answer the question.)

drengnikrafe
2009-11-13, 03:37 PM
Q 298

In which book are the feats that are named (or named something similar to) "sudden (type of metamagic) metamagic"?

IthilanorStPete
2009-11-13, 03:40 PM
A 298

Complete Arcane.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-13, 06:03 PM
A 297 No.

This strategem fails for multiple reasons.

1) Your example character cannot qualify for Summon Elemental, which requires "Ability to cast 4th-level spells". You would need to Heighten at least two spells to 4th level to acquire this feat.
A character can’t use a feat if he or she has lost a prerequisite.
2) In your example you posited using Summon Monster I as a Sorcerer Spell. Divine Metamagic cannot be used on arcane spells.
Page 80: Divine Metamagic feat
The boldface text needs to be added to the Benefit paragraph of the feat description:
When you take this feat, choose a metamagic feat that you have. This feat applies only to that metamagic feat. As a free action, you can take the energy from turning or rebuking undead and use it to apply a metamagic feat to divine spells that you know. With the ability to Heighten two spells to 4th level, a Cleric could get some use out of Summon Elemental. Sorcerer spell slots, unless sufficient to cast 2+ 4th level spells, do not help.

Stegyre
2009-11-14, 12:00 AM
297 Continuation
[edited: rereading C's reply, some of my continuation questions were already addressed.]

1) Your example character cannot qualify for Summon Elemental, which requires "Ability to cast 4th-level spells". You would need to Heighten at least two spells to 4th level to acquire this feat.
So that problem is solved by having at least 8 turnings. (Four each to heighten two 1st level spells to 4th level.) :smallsmile:

2) In your example you posited using Summon Monster I as a Sorcerer Spell. Divine Metamagic cannot be used on arcane spells. With the ability to Heighten two spells to 4th level, a Cleric could get some use out of Summon Elemental. Sorcerer spell slots, unless sufficient to cast 2+ 4th level spells, do not help.
I was not aware of the errata, thank you: that's quite important. Query on this subpart, however: there are spontaneous divine casters (including just the UA spontaneous divine variant), so assuming that hurdle is cleared and DMM (Heighten) is being applied to divine spells, does it not then work, by RAW?

. . . and as I think about it, subpart two actually raises another issue. I think there are at least two feats that allow casting arcane spells as divine and vice-versa: Southern Magician and Alternative Source Spell. By RAW, it would seem that a character could use either of these to make a spell "divine" and subject to DMM enhancement?

Note: based on my understanding, the spontaneous casting ability is very important as to just how powerful this mechanic can be. I believe that, by RAW, a prepared caster must have the actual spell prepared. Thus, that 1st level cleric needs to use up 9 turnings at the start of the day and prepare Summon Monster I as a 9th level spell. A spontaneous caster, otoh, only needs to have the ability to do so to utilize a reserve feat to the same extent. Where this becomes important is when a character has multiple reserve feats, and the unused turnings essentially power them all.

(This may be getting too long for the RAW thread, but I wanted to find out first if there was a rule I was overlooking -- like that CD errata -- that blows this up.)

Mushroom Ninja
2009-11-14, 12:02 AM
Q 299 When the flaw "Pathetic" says "You cannot take this flaw if the total of your ability modifiers is 8 or higher " does it mean before you apply the -2 from Pathetic or after?

sofawall
2009-11-14, 12:04 AM
Pretty much exactly what I needed, thanks. How exactly did you get that? :smallconfused:

I used this. (http://earthmath.kennesaw.edu/main_site/tool_chest/quad_reg.htm) If I had a graphing calculator, I would have tried cubic and quartic regressions, see if they looked nicer, but I don't want to dig for a calc on the internet.

Random832
2009-11-14, 12:32 AM
I used this. (http://earthmath.kennesaw.edu/main_site/tool_chest/quad_reg.htm) If I had a graphing calculator, I would have tried cubic and quartic regressions, see if they looked nicer, but I don't want to dig for a calc on the internet.

The square roots of the values actually fall pretty close to a straight line, for what it's worth, so quadratic was the right choice.

Thurbane
2009-11-14, 12:45 AM
A 299

You must qualify for a feat at the time you take it - the same would apply for flaws (i.e. you couldn't use a feat or flaw to qualify for itself), so your modifiers would need to be less than 8 before you take the Pathetic flaw.

Demons_eye
2009-11-14, 10:26 PM
Q: 300
Where can you find the Master Specialist PcR?

Mushroom Ninja
2009-11-14, 10:41 PM
A 300 Complete Mage

sofawall
2009-11-14, 11:43 PM
The square roots of the values actually fall pretty close to a straight line, for what it's worth, so quadratic was the right choice.

I tried it first since WotC seems to use Quadratic Functions the most often.

Bakkan
2009-11-15, 05:07 AM
Q301

a) Can a Hellfire Warlock (Fiendish Codex II) apply a blast essence invocation to his Eldritch blast at the same time that he is using the Hellfire blast? For example, could one fire off a Vitriolic Hellfire Blast?

b) If so, am I reading the entries correctly to conclude that in this case the normal Eldritch Blast damage would be acid and the extra damage would be Hellfire?

c) Finally, if the damage is in fact split up this way, what is the damage type for the Hellfire Warlock's Hellfire Shield ability?

Q302

What sort of action is required to draw and toss an animal from a Bag of Tricks, and how many animals can one bag of tricks produce at a time?

Curmudgeon
2009-11-15, 05:30 AM
A 302

Retrieving a stored item is a move action that provokes an attack of opportunity. Throwing anything is an attack, usually done as a standard action.

Animals produced are always random, and only one may exist at a time. Up to ten animals can be drawn from the bag each week.

Starbuck_II
2009-11-15, 09:50 AM
A302 Additional

If you have the bag in your backpack: move action to draw. If you have it in your belt pouch no action because readily available.
But throwing is indeed a standard action.

GreyVulpine
2009-11-15, 10:03 AM
Q303

Do unconscious/helpless/sleeping characters get a will save vs spells?

I know they're considered "willing" targets in spells that require a target, but haven't come across a rule for will saves.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-15, 12:10 PM
Corrections regarding "A302 Additional"

I'm afraid all of these answers are wrong.

If you have the bag in your backpack: move action to draw. If you have the Bag of Tricks in your backpack, it would require two move actions to retrieve its contents: one to access the stored Bag of Tricks in the backpack, and another to retrieve the fuzzy ball from the Bag of Tricks.
This small sack appears normal and empty. However, anyone reaching into the bag feels a small, fuzzy ball. If the ball is removed and tossed up to 20 feet away, it turns into an animal.
If you have it in your belt pouch no action because readily available. Again, this would require two move actions, as above. Excepting special containers that have properties which promote easy access, only weapons and weaponlike objects can be drawn as free actions, and then only in combination with a regular move or via the Quick Draw feat.
Draw or Sheathe a Weapon

Drawing a weapon so that you can use it in combat, or putting it away so that you have a free hand, requires a move action. This action also applies to weapon-like objects carried in easy reach, such as wands. If your weapon or weapon-like object is stored in a pack or otherwise out of easy reach, treat this action as retrieving a stored item.

If you have a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, you may draw a weapon as a free action combined with a regular move.

Manipulate an Item

In most cases, moving or manipulating an item is a move action. This includes retrieving or putting away a stored item, picking up an item, moving a heavy object, and opening a door. As neither belt pouches nor the Bag of Tricks provide for any special faster access, they each require a move action to manipulate in order to retrieve what's stored inside them.
But throwing is indeed a standard action. Throwing the fuzzy ball at a particular square is a ranged attack.
Ranged Attacks: With a ranged weapon, you can shoot or throw at any target that is within the weapon’s maximum range and in line of sight.
If you had already retrieved the fuzzy ball from the Bag of Tricks in the previous round (as would likely be the case if the Bag of Tricks were in another container such as a belt pouch and necessitated two move actions to retrieve the ball), you could throw it as part of a full attack action. Throwing the fuzzy ball is not limited to a standard action.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-15, 12:33 PM
A 303 Yes.
When you are subject to an unusual or magical attack, you generally get a saving throw to negate or reduce its effect.
Some spells restrict you to willing targets only. Declaring yourself as a willing target is something that can be done at any time (even if you’re flat-footed or it isn’t your turn). Unconscious creatures are automatically considered willing
An unconsious/sleeping/helpless character does not get a saving throw for any spell which specifies willing targets, but does generally get to make other saving throws. Factor in any adjustments to ability scores, such as if the character is unconscious because their Wisdom has been drained to 0.

El Dorado
2009-11-15, 01:52 PM
Q 304

Can a monk/psychic warrior use the Metaphysical Weapon power to enhance her unarmed strike?

Q 305

If the answer to Q304 is Yes, then how many times would a monk/psychic warrior need to manifest Metaphysical Weapon to enhance all of her unarmed attacks (fists, elbows, knees, feet, etc)?

Douglas
2009-11-15, 03:08 PM
A304

Yes.

A305

Once. She only has one unarmed attack. Note that the ability to use fists, elbows, feet, head, knees, etc. does not allow you to make more attacks than you would normally be able to. It only means you're a bit less picky about needing your hands free.

Hadessniper
2009-11-15, 06:37 PM
Q 306

How do you calculate skill points for animal companions?

chef781
2009-11-15, 06:40 PM
A 306

I don't believe they have any. They have abilities like feats, but not skills, at least not in lower levels.

Hadessniper
2009-11-15, 06:43 PM
Bonus HD: Extra eight-sided (d8) Hit Dice, each of which gains a Consitution modifier, as normal. Remember that extra Hit Dice improve the animal companion’s base attack and base save bonuses. An animal companion’s base attack bonus is the same as that of a druid of a level equal to the animal’s HD. An animal companion has good Fortitude and Reflex saves (treat it as a character whose level equals the animal’s HD). An animal companion gains additional skill points and feats for bonus HD as normal for advancing a monster’s Hit Dice.
According to the SRD they do, I just can't tell how many.

UglyPanda
2009-11-15, 06:44 PM
A 306 - Corrected
(2 + Int) per level, x4 at first. However, animals have an Int modifier of -4 or -5, so they only get 1 point per level (The minimum) with 4 at level 1.

Whether or not you are allowed to choose which skill points your companion gets is up to the DM.

Hadessniper
2009-11-15, 06:49 PM
Q 307

A fleshraker has a racial +6 to jump and a str mod of +3, yet they get +24 to jump. If you had one as an animal companion would it start with 15 ranks in jump?

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-15, 06:53 PM
A307:
Fleshraker Jump Analysis:
+6 racial
+8 speed
+3 strength
That's +17. The remaining +7 is presumably from skill ranks, meaning that fleshrakers have invested all of their skill ranks into Jump.

Bakkan
2009-11-16, 01:26 AM
Q 308

Would a Shirt of the Leech (MIC) be able to divert healing spells cast from wands? The question comes down to whether activating a wand is essentially the same as casting the spell.

Stegyre
2009-11-16, 02:09 AM
Q 309
I noticed in another current thread that when Dispel Magic is cast upon a magic item, it not only suppresses the magic item but makes the item temporarily "non-magical," so it could be affected by spells that target non-magical items.

The question: suppose I cast Dispel Magic followed by Shrink Item, what happens when the dispel effect wears off? Will the item stay shrunken for the duration? If so, how about if the shrinking were Permanancied, would I now have a magical item that I could change shape?

(Probably not. I'm guessing that as soon as the dispelling effect ends, so does any spell that depended upon the non-magical nature of the target, but maybe there's some qualifier I'm not aware of.)

Curmudgeon
2009-11-16, 07:01 AM
A 308 No.

Strictly by the rules, a wand user is not casting a spell but triggering it. Even someone incapable of casting spells, like a Ranger below 4th level, can trigger spells from their class list. A Shirt of the Leech only works on spells that are cast within range.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-16, 07:05 AM
A 309 Yes.

The check for a proper target of a spell is only made at the time of casting. And, absent any special properties in the item itself or in other spells operating at the same time, spells behave as described.
Combining Magical Effects

Spells or magical effects usually work as described, no matter how many other spells or magical effects happen to be operating in the same area or on the same recipient. Except in special cases, a spell does not affect the way another spell operates. Whenever a spell has a specific effect on other spells, the spell description explains that effect.

Stegyre
2009-11-16, 08:26 AM
A 309 Yes.
Mm, goody!
Thinking about it, I guess that for that matter, I could even take a wand pre-enchantment (i.e., not yet magical), cast a permanancied shrink item on it, enchant it, and then also have a wand that I could shrink at will. :smallsmile:

Mushroom Ninja
2009-11-16, 08:39 AM
Q 310: Stonefoot Stance says that it grants "a +2 bonus on Strength checks and a +2 bonus to AC against creatures of a size category larger than yours". Is the bonus to strength checks only against larger creatures, or does the restriction apply only to the AC bonus

Nazde Bahatur
2009-11-16, 12:18 PM
Q.311
I'm trying to build an army, but have problems concerning the costs. Where can I find how much PC-class (fighters, wizards..) hirelings cost per particular level?

Curmudgeon
2009-11-16, 02:52 PM
A 310

This is ambiguous as written, so you'll have to ask your DM. They must have had a shortage of commas that day. :smallfrown:

Thurbane
2009-11-16, 03:47 PM
A 311

Arms & Equipment Guide has prices for military hirelings. The DMG II also has some prices for hirelings, but from memory, they don't include military types.

Hadessniper
2009-11-16, 04:07 PM
Q 312

Within the area of the spell darkness does moving in someones threat range still provoke an attack of opportunity?

Curmudgeon
2009-11-16, 04:21 PM
A 312 Yes.

Darkness should really be called "Dimness", because it only offers a 20% miss chance. AoOs proceed normally, except for that chance of failure.

Stegyre
2009-11-16, 06:16 PM
A 310

This is ambiguous as written, so you'll have to ask your DM. They must have had a shortage of commas that day. :smallfrown:
A 310 Additional
FWIW, the absence of the comma would indicate that the prepositional phrase ("against creatures of a size category larger than yours") modifies both terms.

But that begs the question of how good the WotC grammarians were. Whatever was intended, the sentence could have been written to eliminate the ambiguity.

Gorbash
2009-11-16, 09:06 PM
Q 313

Desecrate spell states that it cuts of connection with a deity, if that diety to which altar is dedicated is higher power than... the other diety. I'm a bit confused at this part. How does it work actually? What does it mean to cut off connection? I'm assuming that clerics couldn't prepare spells or use turning in the area, or I'm hugely mistaken on what does it do, so if anyone could clarify it, I'd be grateful.

Douglas
2009-11-16, 09:20 PM
A313

It is an alternate use of the Desecrate spell. It works like this:

You worship Hextor. You find an altar to Heironeous. This altar has some special power because of its dedication to Heironeous. It might just be Consecrated, it might apply Empower Spell to all healing spells cast there, or it might do something else. Exactly what it does doesn't really matter, just that it's specifically because of it being an altar to a god or godlike power other than your patron, Hextor. You cast Desecrate. For the duration of your spell, this altar to Heironeous no longer grants whatever effect it used to have. This negation of the altar is instead of Desecrate's normal effects, so undead do not gain any special benefits from it and Turning is unaffected. Clerics can prepare spells, cast spells, and turn undead in that area just fine, they just don't get any benefit from the altar.

Icebird
2009-11-17, 07:46 AM
Q 314

Can I spend a move or standard action to make one or more swift action?
Typical use, I want to activate multiple magic items, each requiring a swift action.

Sliver
2009-11-17, 08:00 AM
Q 315

Making sure if I understand it right..

Swarms that consist of Tiny creatures take half damage from slashing and piercing weapons, but full damage from bludgeoning weapons. Swarms that consist of Diminutive or Fine creatures are totally immune to weapons. Diminutive or Fine swarms are effected by winds. Those are the only differences between the different swarm sizes?

dsmiles
2009-11-17, 08:03 AM
A314
Yes. You can give up a standard action to make an extra move action or swift action. You can give up a move action to take an extra swift action.

A315
As far as I know, yes.

katans
2009-11-17, 09:16 AM
A314
Yes. You can give up a standard action to make an extra move action or swift action. You can give up a move action to take an extra swift action.

What's your source? I always thought you couldn't.

Douglas
2009-11-17, 09:25 AM
A314 correction

No, you cannot. You can give up a standard action to make a move action, but neither type can be converted to swift. This is an intentional balancing factor, as many things that require swift or immediate actions were designed on the assumption that the action required would limit it to once per round and exclude using other swift action abilities in the same round.

There are a very small number of ways to get around this limit. You could Shapechange into a Chronotyryn, which gets two complete rounds of actions (including swift actions) every round, take a bunch of levels in Disciple of Dispater (I think that's the one) to get the ability to double your actions a few times per day, or take 7 levels of Ruby Knight Vindicator to get the ability to convert Turn Undead attempts into swift actions.

Sliver
2009-11-17, 09:37 AM
Q 316

Can an Artificer infuse splash weapons such as Alchemical Fire or Acid with enchantment to give it things like Bane? How does it effect splash damage and work with the Shaped Splash feat?

Curmudgeon
2009-11-17, 12:14 PM
A 316 No.

There are no enchantment infusions which would work as you described. There are, however, transmutation infusions that would work; splash weapons are valid targets for Weapon Augmentation infusions. All other effects continue to work as described, so a Halfling Artificer with the Shaped Splash feat could infuse a splash weapon with a version of Bane and affect the initial target and one adjacent, assuming two successful attack rolls.

Stegyre
2009-11-17, 06:07 PM
Q 317
Looking for an item that I know I read about in one of the books, but now I cannot find it: a small capsule of super-adhesive that is attached to the end of a rope and basically used in place of a grappling hook. (Throw rope against surface; break capsule; wait ~1 round for adhesive to set.) I believe it's an alchemical item. I'd appreciate it if someone could direct me to the correct book. (Page will help, but I can also dig for that, once I'm looking in the correct ballpark.)

OracleDante
2009-11-17, 06:21 PM
Q 317 Apologies if this has been brought up before or elsewhere, but I had hoped this would be the place to ask about a 3.5 character I'm attempting to build.

Dwarf Brb1 / Ftr 3
STR18 / DEX16 / CON18 / INT 13 / WIS10/ CHA8

I'm working from PHB, the PHB2 (by GM approval), Complete Warrior, and Complete Adventurer. I'm attempting to build a useful sword and board / tank around the Improved Overrun feat. While I realize that trip is superior I am attempting overrun anyway.

How should I prioritize my item purchases for such a build

Is there a recommended feat progression that is useful without being unbalanced? As of this post I'm debating Shield Specialization, Power Attack, Cleave, Improved Overrun

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-17, 06:25 PM
A 318 (Oracle Dante)

That needs to be it's own thread, it's too subjective and involved for this one.

Hadessniper
2009-11-17, 06:38 PM
Q 317
Looking for an item that I know I read about in one of the books, but now I cannot find it: a small capsule of super-adhesive that is attached to the end of a rope and basically used in place of a grappling hook. (Throw rope against surface; break capsule; wait ~1 round for adhesive to set.) I believe it's an alchemical item. I'd appreciate it if someone could direct me to the correct book. (Page will help, but I can also dig for that, once I'm looking in the correct ballpark.)

A 317
Sovereign Glue DMG page 266 could be what your looking for.

Stegyre
2009-11-17, 08:37 PM
A 317
Sovereign Glue DMG page 266 could be what your looking for.
Sovereign Glue is the sticky stuff, yes, but there was an adaptation of it made in another book. It's the adaptation I'm searching for.

EDIT: Found it: Holdfast, from Dragon Compendium (pg. 118).

Thurbane
2009-11-18, 02:27 AM
Q 319

Are there any feats, class abilities or items that allow a Ranger to wear armor heavier than light and still use his Combat Style class features?

Tavar
2009-11-18, 09:53 PM
Q 320
Does a successful spellcraft check reveal if a spell is modifies by metamagic/Fell Weaken?

Curmudgeon
2009-11-18, 11:48 PM
A 320 No.

A Spellcraft check lets you, at most, identify the name of a spell. You do not get to know any of the following:

caster level
spell descriptors
metamagic used
divine/arcane
class of the spellcaster

Jastermereel
2009-11-19, 02:38 AM
Q 321

Assuming the spell Mending can fix paper (not explicitly mentioned in the description but assumed given the first line), what would happen if it were cast on a message that were torn so that a piece was missing? Would the paper mend leaving the spot blank or would the message mend revealing what was lost?