PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XI

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Temotei
2009-12-09, 07:21 PM
A 427

In the example in the Monster Manual, the medusa is treated as a "Medium-Size Outsider (Evil, Lawful)." The medusa doesn't originally have that subtype, so I assume the answer to your question is yes.

Lord of Syntax
2009-12-09, 07:34 PM
Q 428:
What elves give a bonus to CHA?

jokey665
2009-12-09, 07:41 PM
A428

Drow (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elf.htm#drow)
Umbragen Elves (DR 330 p45)

Both have LA+2. Those are the only two I can find right now.

Mavian
2009-12-09, 09:36 PM
A428

Star Elves in Unapproachable East.

Curmudgeon
2009-12-09, 09:48 PM
A 426 No.

Cardboard boxes didn't exist until the 19th century, which is well beyond the technological base for D&D 3.5. Something that can't exist in the game world can't provide cover.

Curmudgeon
2009-12-09, 09:56 PM
A 427 No.

The Half-Fiend template (Monster Manual, page 148) specifies that the creature's type changes to Outsider, and its alignment changes to Evil. The spell Nar Fiendbond (Lost Empires of Faerûn, and also here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050202a&page=3)), which makes a creature into a Half-Fiend, confirms this. No change to the creature's subtype is included in application of the template.

powerdemon
2009-12-10, 08:29 AM
Can someone give me a useful answer? I wasn't kidding.

I wasn't either. If you have a 1 inch by 1 inch box, probably not. If it's a refrigerator box, then probably.

Faleldir
2009-12-10, 09:00 AM
A 426 No.

Cardboard boxes didn't exist until the 19th century, which is well beyond the technological base for D&D 3.5. Something that can't exist in the game world can't provide cover.
Minor Creation.

Curmudgeon
2009-12-10, 09:24 AM
Minor Creation. Yes, that would be the spell you use.
You must succeed on an appropriate skill check to make a complex item. The Craft skill DC required is 40 (for "nearly impossible", from the Difficulty Class Examples table at the beginning of the Skills chapter), representing a required technological infrastructure that doesn't exist.

Until you can successfully make your cardboard box, it can't provide cover.

theterran
2009-12-10, 10:00 AM
Q429

When multi-classing, do in-class skills carry over to the next class?

For example. Level 1 I take Bard. Bard has Bluff as an In-Class Skill. I put 4 points into Bluff First level. Level 2 I take Fighter, Bluff is not on the Fighter Class list, can I go ahead and put the 5th skill point into bluff, or is it now considered cross class and I have to wait until Level 3 to put another point into it?

Zom B
2009-12-10, 10:26 AM
Q429

When multi-classing, do in-class skills carry over to the next class?

A429

If a skill is not a class skill for any of a multiclass character’s classes, the maximum rank for that skill is one-half the maximum for a class skill.

Whenever you put a level in fighter, you invest points in the skill as a cross-class skill. If you put more of your future levels in bard, the points you spend at that level in bluff are as a class skill.

Douglas
2009-12-10, 10:28 AM
A429 clarification

Class skills do carry over for maximum skill ranks. They do not carry over for skill point cost per rank.

That Bard/Fighter could buy his 5th rank of Bluff on level 2 despite taking Fighter that level, but it would cost 2 skill points instead of 1.

Faleldir
2009-12-10, 10:36 AM
Q 430
Suppose I am carrying an object that exists, blocks line of sight in all directions except under my feet, has insufficient mass for an armor check penalty, and does not interfere with my ability to make a Hide check. While using such an object as cover, is it any more difficult to Hide behind it than an object that is part of the dungeon, all else being equal?

Douglas
2009-12-10, 10:41 AM
A430

No, that will allow you to hide just fine. This will only hide yourself, however, not the object, and depending on the location and the object the people you are hiding from might get suspicious when they see the object. Their reaction in this case might negate the point of hiding.

theterran
2009-12-10, 11:51 AM
Q431

Does a Druid have to Wildshape back to its original form before wildshaping into something new?

Curmudgeon
2009-12-10, 11:57 AM
A 431

No, only a single standard action is required to assume either a new animal shape or the Druid's original form. If this is a new animal shape it does use up another daily instance of wild shape.

Fitz10019
2009-12-10, 01:50 PM
Q 430
Suppose I am carrying an object that exists, blocks line of sight in all directions except under my feet, has insufficient mass for an armor check penalty, and does not interfere with my ability to make a Hide check. While using such an object as cover, is it any more difficult to Hide behind it than an object that is part of the dungeon, all else being equal?

A430 - additional
Note, 'all else being equal' is problematic, because this object, by blocking all lines of sight, effectively makes you blind. I know of no rules against making a Hide check while blind, but there really should be a penalty for that.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-10, 03:15 PM
Q432

If you travel to an Outer Plane and kill a being there what happens to it?

Q433

Is there a 3.5 version of the Sylph, and where is it? If not is there a recommended LA/RHD for it?

Curmudgeon
2009-12-10, 04:41 PM
A 433

The 3.5 update for the Sylph is contained in the Monster Manual II 3.5 update (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/DnD35_Monster_Manual_2.zip). It's LA +5 and 3 racial HD.

Stegyre
2009-12-10, 06:48 PM
A430 - additional
Note, 'all else being equal' is problematic, because this object, by blocking all lines of sight, effectively makes you blind. I know of no rules against making a Hide check while blind, but there really should be a penalty for that.
No, not really. "Blind" is not the same as not having line of sight, and considering that (1) unless using the alternative facing rules, LOS is two-way (if I have LOS to you, you have LOS to me), and (2) the general rule is that you cannot hide if the opponent(s) has(have) LOS to you, most hide checks are done without LOS.

You don't need to see someone to hide from them.
(But if you close your eyes, or take off all of your clothes, you do become invisible, or so I've been told. :smallwink:)

erikun
2009-12-10, 06:58 PM
A430 - Continued
You may make a hide check while under total cover, although there is almost no point in doing so. A character cannot make a Spot check when they do not have line of sight, and the object your are proposing blocks all line of sight.

If a character can see through the object, for whatever reason, then your hide check against it would automatically fail. Also, if the character can detect you through means other than sight (blindsight, for example) then hiding does not work against them.

Note that your being hidden does not prevent the object from being noticed.

Curmudgeon
2009-12-10, 08:17 PM
A430 - Continued
You may make a hide check while under total cover, although there is almost no point in doing so. A character cannot make a Spot check when they do not have line of sight, and the object your are proposing blocks all line of sight.
Since your second sentence is completely right, your first sentence has to be wrong. Hide and Spot are opposed checks: you may only make a Hide check when it's possible for an opponent to make a Spot check to notice you. That means they must have line of sight to you for you to try to Hde; total cover removes any chance of making the check. Total concealment, on the other hand, maintains line of sight; that's why you still get a Spot check when someone's invisible. But if they're behind a big rock? No chance.

erikun
2009-12-10, 09:03 PM
Hide and Spot are opposed checks: you may only make a Hide check when it's possible for an opponent to make a Spot check to notice you.
This is not how opposed skills work. Disguise and Forgery are also opposed skills, yet are not made when another character is present to make an opposing check. In fact, it could be said that they would automatically fail if used while observed. Use Rope and Slight of Hand act the same way, and I can pretty much guarantee that you will never be rolling an Escape Artist skill while your opponent is rolling Use Rope.

Furthermore, if you hide and remain stationary, you do not make multiple checks against multiple new opponents, or multiple checks for each round. You only make one check, against which all opponents must roll Spot to see you. You do make new Hide checks if you are moving, though.

[EDIT] from concealment: (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#concealment)

Total Concealment
If you have line of effect to a target but not line of sight he is considered to have total concealment from you.

Random832
2009-12-10, 09:23 PM
This is not how opposed skills work. Disguise and Forgery are also opposed skills, yet are not made when another character is present to make an opposing check. In fact, it could be said that they would automatically fail if used while observed. Use Rope and Slight of Hand act the same way, and I can pretty much guarantee that you will never be rolling an Escape Artist skill while your opponent is rolling Use Rope.

Erm...

You don’t even make your Use Rope check until someone tries to escape.

:smalltongue:

Lord of Syntax
2009-12-10, 10:37 PM
Q431
Is there a way to start at LVL 1 with the Undead type?

Zom B
2009-12-10, 10:53 PM
A431

You maybe could play an Awakened Undead (Libris Mortis, page 62). It does not mention a level adjustment in the spell description, but that neither confirms nor denies that such a creature is fit as a playable race. The onus of that decision lies with the DM.

Other than that, Undead and the abilities and benefits associated with it are generally worth a level adjustment by themselves. The only other option without a level adjustment is Necropolitan. While its level adjustment is technically 0, you lose a level when you take the template. The advantage of this over a level adjustment is that it is still possible to make up the level, either by boosted experience gain (as per the optional rule in the DMG of awarding more experience to lower level characters) or by virtue of requiring less experience to level.

Lord of Syntax
2009-12-10, 11:49 PM
Q432:
Is there a way to start as a Outsider [Evil] at 1st level?

Claudius Maximus
2009-12-10, 11:58 PM
Q 433

Does the 7th layer of a Prismatic Wall destroy a creature's equipment? Would the answer change depending on whether or not the creature made its save?

Q 434

What means are there to gain Trapfinding as a permanent ability, besides taking a level in Rogue? Means that do not involve dipping classes would be best, if they exist.

Curmudgeon
2009-12-11, 03:23 AM
A 434

Theft Gloves soulmeld (Magic of Incarnum). The Planar Touchstone feat (Planar Handbook), in conjunction with the The Catalogues of Enlightenment magical location, will let you obtain a Clerical domain (with an annual check required). The Kobold (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) domain will let you find traps as a Rogue does.

zagan
2009-12-11, 05:42 AM
Q 435

What type of action is required to use knowledge devotion ? Unlike the other devotion feat who are spell like ability, it's an extraordinary ability so I suppose it's a free action like a normal knowledge check but I want to be sure.

Curmudgeon
2009-12-11, 06:05 AM
A 435

Knowledge Devotion provides bonuses to attack and damage based on associated Knowledge checks, so it follows the skill check rules. No action is required. (That's not the same as a free action, by the way. DMs can set their own limits for free actions, but not on Knowledge Devotion checks.)

theterran
2009-12-11, 08:22 AM
Q436

If I cast Silence over an area with a ForceCage Cube, will whatever is in the ForceCage be effected by the silence?

Zom B
2009-12-11, 11:08 AM
Q437

Can you put a ring you are wearing into a Glove of Storing on that same hand?

Warclam
2009-12-11, 11:35 AM
Q438

What kind of ability is a Druid's Shapeshift ACF from PHBII? I'm guessing Supernatural, like Wild Shape, but I'd like confirmation.

Also, Shapeshift specifically bars casting spells and activating magic items, but nothing else. Would the Spontaneous Rejuvenation ACF from the same book be usable while Shapeshifted, or would it fall under the "can't cast" restriction?

Jastermereel
2009-12-11, 04:02 PM
Q 439

Can one combine a Bloodstorm Blade's Blade Storm ability (Tome of Battle p102) with the Chakram Ricochet feat (Champions of Ruin p17) to partially bypass the Blade Storm's limit of attacking each target just once with the attack by having each shot ricochet to hit a second opponent as a side effect?

That is, if you have 3 foes (A,B,C) could you use the Blade Storm to hit A and resolve the Ricochet against B, continue the full round Blade Storm against B and Ricochet C, and finish the Bladestorm with C and Ricochet A?

Or does the Chakram Ricochet count as being part of the Blade Storm attack and so make the second attack against the rules?

Tyndmyr
2009-12-11, 04:17 PM
Q 440

Is there any way to gain the Bardic Music special, as per the Bard class, without taking a level in Bard or Bard-advancing classes?

Stegyre
2009-12-11, 05:13 PM
Q 441
MM 306, discussing the "augmented" subtype, states that an augmented creature "usually has the traits of its current type, but the features of its original type."

Naturally, neither "traits" nor "features" are defined in the on-line glossary, so which is which is what? :smallconfused:

EDIT: maybe nevermind: it looks like page 291 provides the answer? "Features" include HD size, BAB progression, and good & bad saves, while "Traits" include things such as dark vision, lack of a soul (for outsiders). Any further expansion or clarification on these?

Q 442
The foregoing information is specific to templates. Do effects like Awaken behave the same way. I.e., Awaken turns an animal into a magical beast; would this creature still have the animal "features"?

Curmudgeon
2009-12-11, 05:26 PM
A 437 Yes.

The "Magic Items on the Body" section (Dungeon Master's Guide, page 214) doesn't specify a layering requirement for either gloves or rings, merely that they be worn "on the hands". Nor does the Glove of Storing require any particular placement of items, only that they be "held in the hand wearing the glove". So storage requirements are met, and the rest is magic. On retrieval, though, you shouldn't expect the ring to be on a finger; held items are shrunk down and held in the palm of the Glove of Storing; there's no mention of any item relocating when it's retrieved.

Glimbur
2009-12-11, 09:27 PM
Q 443

How exactly do the Open Charka feats in Magic of Incarnum work? Do they
a) Allow you to bind a soulmeld to that chakra but only if you have the ability to bind soulmelds from a class, and require the use of one of those class-based binds
or
b) allow you to bind a soulmeld to that chakra in addition to any other binding you may have available?

Draxar
2009-12-11, 10:37 PM
Q444

Are there any beholderkin that have an ECL?

Stegyre
2009-12-11, 10:55 PM
A 443
Open . . . chakra allows you to bind a soulmeld to that chakra, whether or not you also have the ability to bind a soulmeld as a class ability. (If you do have that ability, this would give you one extra bind, specific solely to the selected chakra, with the caveat, too, that you could not bind two melds to that chakra unless you also had the Double Chakra feat.)

If you did not have class levels in a meldshaping class, you would have to take the Shape Soulmeld feat, too, to have a soulmeld to bind, but just having the Open . . . Chakra feat allows you at least to bind a magic item to that chakra.

Tanaric
2009-12-11, 11:31 PM
Q445

I seem to recall a spell that allows the caster to wield an oversized weapon without penalty. What is the name of this spell, and which book is it in?

Zaq
2009-12-12, 04:19 PM
Q446

When a spell/feat/item adds to a character's "speed" with no qualifiers, does it add to land speed only, or all forms of movement, assuming that those forms of movement already exist (no adding a swim speed to a non-swimming character, but that's obvious)?

For example, consider two clear-cut cases and one edge case. The question is about the edge case.

Longstrider (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/longstrider.htm) adds to a character's land speed. It clearly does not increase, for example, swim speed.

Haste (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/haste.htm) adds to all forms of speed. It will increase a character's climb speed, assuming they have one already, just as much as that character's land speed.

Speed of Thought (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#speedOfThought) makes things tricky. It adds to a character's "speed." No comments on what KIND of speed. Does this increase a character's fly speed, assuming that he or she had a fly speed already? Or a climb speed, with the same caveat? If so, why? If not, why not?

Q446b

When a character's fly speed (for instance) is based on his or her land speed, does a Haste-type (that is, all forms of movement) speed increase add to the fly speed twice? For example, consider a Warlock with the Invocation Fell Flight, which grants a fly speed equal to their land speed.

1) Land speed is 30'. Fly speed is therefore 30'.
2) Character gets Hasted.
3) Haste increases land speed by 30', to 60'. Fly speed is therefore increased to 60', because it is tied to land speed.
4) Haste increases fly speed by 30'. Fly speed increases from 60' to 90'.

Is this a legitimate reading? If not, why not?

Warclam
2009-12-12, 05:15 PM
A446
Speed of Thought and similar effects are commonly used to increase movement modes other than just land speed. Since fly speed, burrow speed, etc. are a type of speed, they increase if the character's "speed" is increased.

As for b, most such effects, including Haste, are enhancement bonuses, which do not stack. Even if it did get applied to both land speed and fly speed, you would only get the benefits once. In the case of a non-enhancement bonus, I would expect that both speed increases would come into effect at the same time, so when the fly speed "looks" at the land speed and sees it has increased, it will simultaneously "see" that it has itself increased by the same amount already, thus no doubling of effect.

Curmudgeon
2009-12-12, 08:45 PM
A 446b

Fell Flight does not grant a fly speed; it merely says "You can fly at a speed equal to your land speed". Thus anything that enhances fly speeds will have no effect on Fell Flight. However, enhancements to land speed will help your Fell Flight.

AtwasAwamps
2009-12-12, 10:43 PM
Q 447

I wasn't able to find this anywhere...do dragonborn keep natural attacks granted by their initial species? IE, would a dragonborn Darfellan keep their bite attack?

Curmudgeon
2009-12-12, 11:50 PM
A 447 No.
Other Racial Traits: You lose all other racial traits of your original race, including bonus feats, skill bonuses, attack bonuses, save bonuses, spell-like abilities, and so forth.
DARFELLAN RACIAL TRAITS
• Natural Attack: A darfellan has a natural bite attack that deals 1d6 points of damage.
In all cases I know of, natural attacks are listed under racial traits. A Darfellan who undergoes tranformation into a Dragonborn loses their bite attack.

Baelathil
2009-12-13, 03:10 AM
The rules for cover (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#cover) carefully separate melee attack vs adjacent foes from all other attacks (ranged, reach), with different mechanics for deciding whether cover applies, phrased in terms of the attacker's square and the target's square, each presumed to be of normal size. Later, it addresses variation for large creatures, letting the attacker chose one square of the attacker's space and one square of the target's space; however, it quite clearly specifies that this applies to melee - and doesn't qualify this as adjacent melee, although interpolating that would be natural.

The adjacent melee rule, for normal size, looks at all lines between two squares; the other rule (ranged and reach) choses one corner of the attacker's square and links it to all corner's of the target's. Either rule can quite sensibly be applied with a square of the attacker's chosing at each end; and each actually makes most sense if so applied. If my brave one-square ally is engaging the 8x8-square foe up close and I'm further back, I've got seven squares of open target to hit with my ranged or reach attack; I can easilly chose a square of the target that I can hit, without my ally providing cover. But RAW doesn't apply to ranged - and "any corner of the target's square" gets me 81 corners to check and, whichever corner of my square I chose, at least one of the 81 lines from my corner to one of the target's 81 corners shall pass through my ally's square, giving cover ! Which is, of course, silly. Of course, instead of all 81 corners of the 8x8 grid, I could read the rule as linking my corner to the four corners of the 8x8 square; but then an obstacle blocking my attack on the foe's front left corner would give cover to the entirely unobstructed 35 ft wide expanse of target right in front of me ! Either way, crazy, so I am inclined to ignore the "melee" restriction in the big creatures rule modification.

OTOH, if I'm in a 5 ft wide corridor and my target is in the big room at the end of the corridor, whichever corner of my square I chose, the lines from it to all four corners of any square along the corridor, including those I can see in the room, include at least one line along the wall, which "passes through a square or border that blocks line of effect" - so all ranged attacks along a 5 ft corridor are subject to cover ! That's perverse in its own right. Anyway, back to the issue I was trying to describe when I tripped over that.

Suppose I'm in a 10 ft wide corridor (so that I can chose my corner in mid-corridor) ending in a 5 ft wide door (say, the right-hand half of the corridor) beyond which an 8x8 monster awaits me. I cannot possibly hit any square of him other than the one immediately beyond the door. Two of the corners of that square are linked to my mid-corridor corner by lines that border the door-way. So he has cover. But if I'm allowed to chose any square of my 8x8 target, I pick the one on his far side, 8 squares back from the door and one square to the right of it; if I'm less than 8 squares from the door, the lines from my corner to the corners of that square all pass safely through the door-way and my foe doesn't have cover: which is nonsensical if the square in the door-way does ! Hmm ... except that I guess my foe itself is occupying many squares along those four lines, giving itself cover that way.

Q. 448a

Are ranged attacks along a 5 ft corridor always subject to cover ? Really ? If not, why not ?

Q. 448b

For a ranged attack by or against a large creature, does the attacker get to chose one corner of/within his space and one square of the target's space, restricting attention to the lines linking the attacker's corner to the four corners of the one target square ?

If so, are squares of the target, other than the one the attacker chose, deemed to give cover if a resulting line passes through it ? (This effectively restricts the attacker's choice of target square to "front" ones.)

Sliver
2009-12-13, 04:31 AM
Q449

Are breath attacks count as area attacks for mirror image purposes? Do the images get destroyed by a breath attack or they just act as if affected?

Narmy
2009-12-13, 04:46 AM
Q 450

How do you play a dumb but wise character?

Would Tasslehof Burrfoot be a good example??

Eloel
2009-12-13, 04:56 AM
Q 450

How do you play a dumb but wise character?

A450

You play a character with low Int and high Wisdom.

This is the only way this question can be answered RAW. The thread is RAW only.

Narmy
2009-12-13, 05:45 AM
Q 451

Lets not be a smart ass with this one, and I'll make the wording more specific for the ones who wish to do so.

Question:
How should one go about role playing a character with a low intelligence score (below 10), and a high wisdom score (above 14).

Sliver
2009-12-13, 05:55 AM
Q 451

Lets not be a smart ass with this one, and I'll make the wording more specific for the ones who wish to do so.

Question:
How should one go about role playing a character with a low intelligence score (below 10), and a high wisdom score (above 14).

This is pretty much not a RAW question and it would be better to start a new thread..

Narmy
2009-12-13, 06:03 AM
As you desire. Thank you. I apologize.

Loren
2009-12-13, 08:59 AM
q452

Hoe do area effects and larger than medium creatures interact? where would I find the rules?
My instict would be that they get a single save, but they take damage for all the squares they are in (unless there is a logical reason they'd wouldn't take multiple damage ie their body isn't being incinerated), but I suspect that RAW doesn't in fact work this way.

Narmy
2009-12-13, 09:27 AM
A 452

Works the same way it does for a medium or smaller creature.

averagejoe
2009-12-13, 11:36 AM
Q 453

How do the bonuses from leap attack and the class ability from the frenzied berserker stack? Let's say you have a two handed weapon. Supreme power attack reads that you get a +4 bonus to damage for a -1 penalty taken on melee attack rolls. Leap attack says that, with a two handed weapon, you triple the extra power attack damage. Now, multiplication working how it does in DnD, it would seem that a leap supreme power attacking frenzied berserker gets a +7 bonus for every -1, but I'm not sure if this is correct.

Starbuck_II
2009-12-13, 12:05 PM
A 453

By RAW?
x12. 300% (check latest Errata where it was changed) x 4 = 1200% or times 12.

It is often debated x8, but since it is a percentile and not a multiplier it is multipied.

Loren
2009-12-13, 12:24 PM
q452 rephrase:

Ok, let's say I'm casting Hail of Stones, which causes 1d4/level damage in a 5 foot radius (4 squares). If I cast it on a human it would take 1d4/level damage as it occupies 1 square. If I were to cast it on a troll, which occupies 4 squares would the troll take 1d4/level damage or 1d4/level damage for each square it occupies in the spell radious (effectively making it 4d4/level)? Where do I find rules relating to this situation?

logic can be used to argue both ways. based on the physics, the creature is going to get hit more times and therefore should to more damage. by metagame, the creature doesn't get many more hit points based on its size, so to scale a spell like that would be broken.

Eloel
2009-12-13, 12:40 PM
q452 rephrase:

Ok, let's say I'm casting Hail of Stones, which causes 1d4/level damage in a 5 foot radius (4 squares). If I cast it on a human it would take 1d4/level damage as it occupies 1 square. If I were to cast it on a troll, which occupies 4 squares would the troll take 1d4/level damage or 1d4/level damage for each square it occupies in the spell radious (effectively making it 4d4/level)? Where do I find rules relating to this situation?

logic can be used to argue both ways. based on the physics, the creature is going to get hit more times and therefore should to more damage. by metagame, the creature doesn't get many more hit points based on its size, so to scale a spell like that would be broken.

It's the metagame-based answer.

Zaq
2009-12-13, 04:08 PM
Q449

Are breath attacks count as area attacks for mirror image purposes? Do the images get destroyed by a breath attack or they just act as if affected?

I don't have a direct RAW quotation for this, but if a breath weapon isn't an area attack, what IS?

DonEsteban
2009-12-13, 04:13 PM
A449

Are Do breath attacks count as area attacks for mirror image purposes? Do the images get destroyed by a breath attack or they just act as if affected?

Breath weapons are usually magical area effects just like area spells. Mirror images are only destroyed by targeted attacks at them (like a melee attack or a targeted spell effect like magic missile).

I think the sentence about area spells in the spell description can be misleading...

Curmudgeon
2009-12-13, 04:17 PM
A 453 correction

The Frenzied Berserker's Supreme Power Attack ability makes Power Attack yield +4 points of damage for each -1 penalty to attack with a 2-handed weapon. Leap Attack with erratum no longer says "triple" anything; instead, it says that Leap Attack adds +100% of your Power Attack damage. This removes Leap Attack from all D&D multiplication issues. This combination will yield +8 points of damage for each -1 penalty to attack.

Curmudgeon
2009-12-13, 04:22 PM
A 449

I don't have a direct RAW quotation for this, but if a breath weapon isn't an area attack, what IS?
Here's the quote from the rules to support Zaq's answer:
Breath Weapon

A creature attacking with a breath weapon is actually expelling something from its mouth (rather than conjuring it by means of a spell or some other magical effect). ...

No attack roll is necessary. The breath simply fills its stated area.
A breath weapon attack usually deals damage and is often based on some type of energy.

Curmudgeon
2009-12-13, 04:50 PM
Q 448a Yes.

The connecting lines along the borders of the wall block line of effect, so in a corridor exactly 5' wide all squares have cover (+4 to AC).

A 448b No.

The ranged attacker gets to choose one corner of their own square. The check for cover must be made from this grid intersection to all 4 corners of the target creature's square. The only exclusion in this computation is for the target creature itself, since it can't provide itself with cover (though another creature sharing its space, regardless of size, would provide soft cover).

Zaq
2009-12-13, 05:20 PM
Q445

I seem to recall a spell that allows the caster to wield an oversized weapon without penalty. What is the name of this spell, and which book is it in?

445 partial A

Enlarge Weapon, in Complete Scoundrel, increases the size of the weapon you are already wielding, increasing damage but offering no penalties. I do not know offhand of any spell that makes you inherently more able to wield large weapons.

Rasman
2009-12-13, 10:02 PM
Q449

Scroob question. Do items that add bonuses to my abilites also increase my ability modifier?

Like having a Str 16, which gives an ability mod of 3, but add a Belt of Giant's Strength that adds +4 to strength. Does that make the Ability Mod a 5?

Zaq
2009-12-13, 10:04 PM
Q449

Scroob question. Do items that add bonuses to my abilites also increase my ability modifier?

Like having a Str 16, which gives an ability mod of 3, but add a Belt of Giant's Strength that adds +4 to strength. Does that make the Ability Mod a 5?

A449

Yes. This is their entire point.

Douglas
2009-12-13, 10:07 PM
A449

Er, yes. What would be the point of those items if they didn't?

Lord of Syntax
2009-12-13, 11:27 PM
Q450
450 GET! (sorry)
How much does it cost to have a NPC cast a 8th level spell?

Claudius Maximus
2009-12-13, 11:32 PM
A 450

80 gp times the caster level (minimum CL 15, generally), plus the price of any material components, plus 1/10 the price of any expensive focus, and 5 gp per xp the caster has to pay.

There's a handy summary here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#spellcastingAndServices).

drengnikrafe
2009-12-14, 12:33 AM
Q 451

In which book is the Warlock?

IthilanorStPete
2009-12-14, 12:36 AM
A 451

Complete Arcane.

drengnikrafe
2009-12-14, 01:29 AM
Q 452

Are there ways to decrease the number of spell levels above the original spell level metamagic spells use up, and, if so, what/where are they?
For instance (in case that was confusing), is there any way to make quicken spell only take up a slot 3 levels higher, instead of 4?

Random832
2009-12-14, 01:44 AM
A 452

Arcane Thesis is a feat that does exactly this for one spell.

IthilanorStPete
2009-12-14, 01:51 AM
A 452 additional

To clarify: Arcane Thesis makes all metamagics applied to a single spell (that you choose when you take the feat) "cost" 1 less, to a minimum of 0.
Also: the feat Practical Metamagic does exactly what you want. It's from Races of the Dragon.
Also also: The prestige class Halruaan Elder from Shining South has a class feature that works like Practical Metamagic.

Ravingdork
2009-12-14, 03:17 AM
Q453

If I have several ongoing buff spells upon my person, and I cast magic jar to go into another body, do my buffs follow me? Why or why not?

Ravingdork
2009-12-14, 03:20 AM
Q454

If a huge or larger giant carries a giant-sized (enclosed) backpack full of medium-sized captives, and he has invisibility cast upon himself, can the captives be seen? Why or why not?

GreyVulpine
2009-12-14, 03:48 AM
Q454

If a huge or larger giant carries a giant-sized (enclosed) backpack full of medium-sized captives, and he has invisibility cast upon himself, can the captives be seen? Why or why not?

A454

Assuming the invisibility spell's limit of 100lbs/CL can encompass the weight of not only the huge or larger sized giant (>2 tons), as well as his equipment and the captives inside his backpack. I see no reason why the invisibility wouldn't also affect the backpack itself. Any gear that's worn by an invisible character is also rendered invisible. A visible object tucked inside a cloak or such is also invisible.

Boo
2009-12-14, 04:53 AM
Q455

I was wondering if I could be given further information on the Changeling character race. I have already looked at the D&D wiki as well as "Races of Eberron" and "Player's Handbook II". What I'm after specifically are racial traits, and determining starting age/weight/height without referencing Humans or Half-Elves.

Draxar
2009-12-14, 10:10 AM
Q455

I was wondering if I could be given further information on the Changeling character race. I have already looked at the D&D wiki as well as "Races of Eberron" and "Player's Handbook II". What I'm after specifically are racial traits, and determining starting age/weight/height without referencing Humans or Half-Elves.

A455

Changeling Racial Traits are on page 41 of Races of Eberron, their base height is 5'1", height modifier 2d4, base weight 115lb, weight modifier x 2d4. Base age 15 years, 1d4/1d6/2d6 on top of that depending on class.

Fitz10019
2009-12-14, 12:39 PM
Where can I find the 'serrated' weapon feature, that helps one sunder?

Baelathil
2009-12-14, 04:32 PM
A 448b No.

The ranged attacker gets to choose one corner of their own square. The check for cover must be made from this grid intersection to all 4 corners of the target creature's square. ...

I buried too much in the spoiler: the point of my question was the case where the target occupies many squares, so that "the target creature's square" is not a well-defined thing. Does the attacker chose one of the target's many squares, connect all corners of that to the attacker's one corner and thus attack that square of the target ? Else, what ?

Lord of Syntax
2009-12-14, 05:35 PM
Q457:
Can you have a NPC spellcaster use a epic feat on a spell cast by him and does it cost more the 1,680 gp it would cost to have a 21st level spellcaster cast the spell?
Q458:
Is there a way to key Ur-Priest casting to Int?

Curmudgeon
2009-12-14, 05:48 PM
Re: A 448b

I buried too much in the spoiler: the point of my question was the case where the target occupies many squares, so that "the target creature's square" is not a well-defined thing. Does the attacker chose one of the target's many squares
No, the attacker doesn't choose one of the target's many 5'x5' grid squares; rather they make lines to all corners of the actual square (10'x10' or whatever) that contains the target creature.
Cover

To determine whether your target has cover from your ranged attack, choose a corner of your square. If any line from this corner to any corner of the target’s square passes through a square or border that blocks line of effect or provides cover, or through a square occupied by a creature, the target has cover (+4 to AC). The target's square is only unambiguous if it refers to the actual space containing all of the target, not any particular 5' square.

Curmudgeon
2009-12-14, 05:52 PM
A 453 No.

Buff spells aren't cast on a "person"; rather they're cast on a creature. Whether or not you move your soul around, the spells stay with the original creature.

Curmudgeon
2009-12-14, 06:35 PM
A 457 No.

NPC spellcasting services are sold based either on the table in the Player's Handbook on page 129; or the formula in the Dungeon Master's Guide on page 107 -- but limited to the highest-level spellcaster available, as specified on page 139. The rules include no guarantee of any spellcaster of Epic level being available. Thus it's outside the RAW, and a matter of DM discretion instead.
Because you must get an actual spellcaster to cast a spell for you and can’t rely on a neutral broker, money is not always sufficient to get a spell cast. If the spellcaster is opposed to you on religious, moral, or political grounds, you may not be able to get the spell you want for any price. The DM always sets the final price of any spellcasting you want to purchase.

A 458 No.

Curmudgeon
2009-12-14, 07:20 PM
A 456

I think you're a bit confused. Serrated is a nonmagical weapon special ability from Dragon # 358, page 43. Serrated provides no benefit to sundering. Sundering is a magical weapon special ability from Magic Item Compendium, page 44, which lets you use the weapon as if you had the Improved Sunder feat

Lord of Syntax
2009-12-14, 10:01 PM
Q 459:
What templates give Pounce?
Q 460:
Does a Dragonborn Thri-Keen still have 4 arms?

Curmudgeon
2009-12-15, 02:56 AM
A 459

None that I know of.

A 460

Both Multiple Limbs and Natural Attacks are part of the Thri-Kreen's racial traits. Dragonborn lose all racial traits except those specifically kept, so a Thri-Kreen who becomes Dragonborn indeed loses their extra limbs and the claw attacks that go with them.

Coidzor
2009-12-15, 05:20 AM
Q:461: When creating a new character that gets multiple feats at first level (e.g. from Fighter or Human or both), can one take the feats in such an order that one of the feats taken can be used as a prerequisite for the other feat (e.g. point blank shot being taken as a first level human ranger's human bonus feat so that the level 1 feat can be used to get precise shot)?

Duke of URL
2009-12-15, 07:17 AM
A. 461

Yes.

Some feats have prerequisites. Your character must have the indicated ability score, class feature, feat, skill, base attack bonus, or other quality designated in order to select or use that feat. A character can gain a feat at the same level at which he or she gains the prerequisite.

Zom B
2009-12-15, 08:40 AM
A459

There are probably a lot more, but off the top of my head, I know the Weretiger and the Feral template both give Pounce or have Pounce-like mechanics.

powerdemon
2009-12-15, 10:26 AM
Q 462
How many Golems/Constructs can you command in one round?

Q 463
Is there any way to make a druid cast using Intelligence or a Wizard cast using Wisdom?

reefwood
2009-12-15, 02:41 PM
Q 464

This may seem like a terribly simple question, but I recently I realized that I'm not actually sure how Hide works. At least not all aspects of it.

You need cover or concealment in order to attempt a Hide check. Total cover or total concealment usually (but not always; see Special, below) obviates the need for a Hide check, since nothing can see you anyway.

Okay, let's say you are a rogue hiding around a corner from a tiger (creature chosen at random) that is 20 ft from the corner. There are no objects or shadows between the corner and the tiger, so no cover or concealment. Is there any way to sneak to the tiger to make a melee sneak attack? And I don't mean using any special abilities (i.e. Hide in Plain Sight)... I mean by just making another Hide/Move Silently check while moving into melee range. Or is there no way to remain hidden while approaching the tiger?

Does stepping around the corner automatically make you visible? Therefore, would the only way to make a sneak attack in the above example be to make a ranged sneak attack?

In games that I have played, I've seen players make a successful Hide check behind cover, and then, step out into the open while making a Hide & Move Silently check to sneak up behind enemies during combat. But does stepping out into the open automatically mean you can't make a Hide check?

Stegyre
2009-12-15, 03:18 PM
Q 465
Where are the rules (are there any rules?) for casting area spells on moving objects? Specifically, I'm wondering about casting spells such as Hallow, Mage's Private Sanctum, or the various wall spells on something like a ship.

(In some respects, it makes since to allow this practice, yet it also opens the door to some significant [ab]uses. I'm just wondering if and where the rules have ever addressed this.)

Curmudgeon
2009-12-15, 03:22 PM
A 464

You're looking for the Move between Cover application of the Hide skill, detailed in Complete Adventurer on pages 101-102. Basically you can move up to your Hide ranks in feet, without cover/concealment, and still have a chance to Hide.

reefwood
2009-12-15, 03:28 PM
Q 464 follow-up

A 464

You're looking for the Move between Cover application of the Hide skill, detailed in Complete Adventurer on pages 101-102. Basically you can move up to your Hide ranks in feet, without cover/concealment, and still have a chance to Hide.

This sounds like something interesting to look into. Although, I'm not particularly looking for a way to Hide without cover/concealment. I am more curious about the specific questions listed in the example. And if "Move between Cover" is even allowed (at least in the core books) without special rules like the one above?

reefwood
2009-12-15, 03:44 PM
A 465

A quick reading of the "Aiming A Spell" rules...

Target or Targets
Some spells have a target or targets. You cast these spells on creatures or objects, as defined by the spell itself. You must be able to see or touch the target, and you must specifically choose that target. You do not have to select your target until you finish casting the spell.

Effect
Some spells create or summon things rather than affecting things that are already present.

Area
Some spells affect an area. Sometimes a spell description specifies a specially defined area, but usually an area falls into one of the categories defined below.

Line of Effect
A line of effect is a straight, unblocked path that indicates what a spell can affect. A line of effect is canceled by a solid barrier. It’s like line of sight for ranged weapons, except that it’s not blocked by fog, darkness, and other factors that limit normal sight.

You must have a clear line of effect to any target that you cast a spell on or to any space in which you wish to create an effect. You must have a clear line of effect to the point of origin of any spell you cast.

...explains how various spells work in different ways. Some spells target objects. The spells you mentioned do not target objects, so they cannot be cast on objects (moving or not).

Hallow has "Area: 40-ft. radius emanating from the touched point" as the area that it affects. I would imagine that if you cast the spell and touched a coin on the floor, the area within a 40-ft radius of that spot becomes hallowed ground. However, it's not attached to the coin in anyway. That is just the point where the spell was discharged.

Whereas darkness can be cast directly onto that coin. If you throw the coin, the area of darkness goes with the coin.

Q 465
Where are the rules (are there any rules?) for casting area spells on moving objects? Specifically, I'm wondering about casting spells such as Hallow, Mage's Private Sanctum, or the various wall spells on something like a ship.

(In some respects, it makes since to allow this practice, yet it also opens the door to some significant [ab]uses. I'm just wondering if and where the rules have ever addressed this.)

Curmudgeon
2009-12-15, 04:01 PM
Q 464
There are no objects or shadows between the corner and the tiger, so no cover or concealment. Is there any way to sneak to the tiger to make a melee sneak attack?

This sounds like something interesting to look into. Although, I'm not particularly looking for a way to Hide without cover/concealment. I am more curious about the specific questions listed in the example. I'm baffled. You asked; I answered. The Move between Cover use of Hide does exactly what you asked for: allows your Rogue to move up to the tiger, without cover/concealment, and sneak attack said tiger.

And if "Move between Cover" is even allowed (at least in the core books) without special rules like the one above?
This is a RAW thread. Move between Cover is no more a "special rule" for Hide than Guide with Knees is for Ride. If you want to discuss "core-only" questions and answers you'll need to create a new thread.

reefwood
2009-12-15, 06:09 PM
Q 464 follow-up #2

I'm baffled. You asked; I answered. The Move between Cover use of Hide does exactly what you asked for: allows your Rogue to move up to the tiger, without cover/concealment, and sneak attack said tiger.

This is a RAW thread. Move between Cover is no more a "special rule" for Hide than Guide with Knees is for Ride. If you want to discuss "core-only" questions and answers you'll need to create a new thread.

I'm not sure what is so baffling about my question, but I guess I did think that questions posted in this thread were allowed to have certain parameters. I thought of my question along the lines of, "Is there anyway to turn into an animal beside wildshape?," where a certain rule is omitted to see if it can be done other ways, but instead of the prerequisite being "not including a certain ability," my prerequisite is, "not including expansion books," which also results in a limit on the rules that can be used to answer the question.

I'll wait and see if anyone else can answer this set of questions, but if not, I'll make a new thread for it.

powerdemon
2009-12-15, 09:19 PM
Q 464 follow-up #2

I'm not sure what is so baffling about my question, but I guess I did think that questions posted in this thread were allowed to have certain parameters. I thought of my question along the lines of, "Is there anyway to turn into an animal beside wildshape?," where a certain rule is omitted to see if it can be done other ways, but instead of the prerequisite being "not including a certain ability," my prerequisite is, "not including expansion books," which also results in a limit on the rules that can be used to answer the question.

I'll wait and see if anyone else can answer this set of questions, but if not, I'll make a new thread for it.
If you don't include any other books besides the 3 core books, then no there is no way to do it besides polymorph or similar spell.

Lord of Syntax
2009-12-16, 12:28 AM
Q466:
Is there a list of things that remove Dex to AC?

Coidzor
2009-12-16, 02:44 AM
Q:467: When wielding a one-handed weapon in two hands, the strength bonus to attack rolls is the same as if it were being wielded in the primary hand, but the strength bonus to damage rolls is 1.5 times greater, yes?

reefwood
2009-12-16, 03:13 AM
A 466

I don't believe so, but that sure would be a handy chart for a Rogue ;)

Q466:
Is there a list of things that remove Dex to AC?

<hr>
A 467

You are correct. Here's the rule taken from the D20 SRD online:

"When you deal damage with a weapon that you are wielding two-handed, you add 1½ times your Strength bonus. However, you don’t get this higher Strength bonus when using a light weapon with two hands."

Q:467: When wielding a one-handed weapon in two hands, the strength bonus to attack rolls is the same as if it were being wielded in the primary hand, but the strength bonus to damage rolls is 1.5 times greater, yes?

Temotei
2009-12-16, 03:23 AM
Q468

Are thrown weapons that are not meant to be thrown counted as ranged weapons? I want to know whether I use Dexterity or Strength for attack rolls with thrown weapons.

Random832
2009-12-16, 09:17 AM
A 468

Throwing any weapon counts as a ranged weapon, so you use Dex. Remember to include the -4 penalty.

Alejandro
2009-12-16, 03:53 PM
Q 469:

I would like to enchant a weapon in such a way that the spell Blink is always in effect on the wielder of the weapon. Forgive my ignorance, but I am unfamiliar with item creation mechanics.

1) Is that possible?
2) If so, how much would it cost?

Stegyre
2009-12-16, 04:04 PM
Q 469:

I would like to enchant a weapon in such a way that the spell Blink is always in effect on the wielder of the weapon. Forgive my ignorance, but I am unfamiliar with item creation mechanics.

1) Is that possible?
2) If so, how much would it cost?
A 469
The item creation mechanics are more guidelines than rules. They will give a DM a ballpark of what such an item maybe-sorta should cost, but they leave out a host of balance issues.

That said, applying the mechanics to this item:
use activated or continuous (2,000) * SL (3) * CL (5) * duration (4) = 120,000 for an item that occupies an appropriate slot; 180,000 if the item occupies an inappropriate slot; or 240,000 if the item is slotless.

An important check on this is the price of any existing item with the same effect. I'm not aware of one, off the cuff, but if it exists, you should use the price of the existing item (or modify it appropriately: if your new item is slotless, for example, double the price of the existing item).

powerdemon
2009-12-16, 04:09 PM
Q 462
How many Golems/Constructs can you command in one round? Is there a limit?

Q 463
Is there any way to make a druid cast using Intelligence or a Wizard cast using Wisdom?

Repost from last page

Thurbane
2009-12-16, 08:24 PM
A 462

Assuming commanding a construct is normal verbal commands, and not defined as a specific type of action (move or standard), then as many as your DM would reasonable let you (speak is defined in the SRD as a free action, and expanded in the Rules Compendium to a reasonable amount as defined by the DM).

A 463

None that I know of, but an Archivist (HoH) casts divine spells using (primarily) Intelligence, and can add any divine spells (including Druid) to his prayer book.

Douglas
2009-12-16, 08:30 PM
A463

The Geomancer PrC from Complete Divine can do it, for save DCs at least. I don't know of anything that will work for bonus spell slots.

powerdemon
2009-12-16, 08:58 PM
A463

The Geomancer PrC from Complete Divine can do it, for save DCs at least. I don't know of anything that will work for bonus spell slots.

Thanks guys but I need Druid and Wizard specifically. Thanks anyways, I knew it was a long shot :smallsmile:

Silas Gallows
2009-12-17, 06:13 AM
Q 470: For the Dragon Stalker prestige class (pgs. 128-129 Draconomicon) the character gains levels in Sneak Attack (Dragon). These levels stack with previous levels of sneak attack. My question is, can you still sneak attack non-dragons up to the level of Sneak Attack you had trained to before, or would you only be able to Sneak Attack on Dragon type enemies.

Curmudgeon
2009-12-17, 11:38 AM
A 470 Yes.

The Dragonstalker PrC does not alter the character's existing class features. Any sneak attack from other classes can be used on all applicable targets; it's only the Dragonstalker sneak attack that's strictly limited to dragon targets.

MichielHagen
2009-12-17, 03:33 PM
Q471

"Wolf climbs the Mountain"

What is the movement allowed with this maneuver? Can i move my speed? Twice my speed? 5ft?

IthilanorStPete
2009-12-17, 07:15 PM
A471

The maneuver has Range: Melee attack, so you must be within melee attack range to initiate it.You then move into the same square as your target, regardless of the distance that requires.

reefwood
2009-12-17, 08:15 PM

Q471

"Wolf climbs the Mountain"

What is the movement allowed with this maneuver? Can i move my speed? Twice my speed? 5ft?

This question has already been answered, but I'm going to share my (amusing) confusion with the question. I totally thought the person was asking with what speed a wolf can climb a mountain. I didn't understand the question at first but then realized it might have to do with Climb because Climb checks are normally made at one-quarter speed, so if a wolf has a speed of 50 ft, one-quarter speed would be 12.5 ft, and I believe you can move up to half your speed if you spend the whole turn moving (i.e. double move), so that would be 25 ft.

But no, that's not what the person was asking about at all, heh.

Zom B
2009-12-18, 06:21 AM
Q472

If a prestige class references your "class level," it means just your levels in the prestige class, doesn't it?

MichielHagen
2009-12-18, 06:54 AM
A472

Yes, otherwise it would say "Character level"

Zom B
2009-12-18, 08:00 AM
Good. I can now persuade the guy wanting to play the Wiz12/Cannith Wand Adept 1 that he does not use wands he creates as a 25th-level caster.

Duke of URL
2009-12-18, 12:26 PM
Q 473

Are there any base classes other than Bard (and its variants) that provide bardic music as a 1st level ability?

Lord of Syntax
2009-12-18, 06:11 PM
Q 474:
What book are the Gloves of Man in?

powerdemon
2009-12-18, 06:35 PM
Q 475
What ways are available to get equipment for a ghost character? A friend of mine wants to make a ghost PC but he can't find any rules for making equipment (armor, and wondrous items, etc). I figure Ghost Touch would work for weapons, but have no clue on the rest.

Curmudgeon
2009-12-18, 07:20 PM
A 474

The Gloves of Man are in Savage Species on page 57.

reefwood
2009-12-18, 08:31 PM
Q 476

Aura of Good (Ex)

The power of a paladin’s aura of good (see the detect good spell) is equal to her paladin level.

Found this on the d20 SRD and was wondering if the paladin level was treated as a cleric level for determining the Aura of Good?

Foryn Gilnith
2009-12-18, 08:36 PM
A 475

Though it is 3.0 material, it has been updated, and Ghostwalk contains much ghost-related material. Ectoplasm is a material that can be used to create non-weapon material, and functions similarly to Ghost Touch material. However, it normally disintegrates quickly. Spells such as Gentle Repose, alchemical items such as Ectoplasmic Stabilizer, or magic items (which are never described) can make ectoplasm stay stable for durations measured in days. The use of these techniques could stabilize ectoplasm long enough to enchant it with something.

KillianHawkeye
2009-12-18, 08:49 PM
A 476 Yes.

This spell functions like detect evil, except that it detects the auras of good creatures, clerics or paladins of good deities, good spells, and good magic items, and you are vulnerable to an overwhelming good aura if you are evil. Healing potions, antidotes, and similar beneficial items are not good.
(emphasis added)

ChakraChanter
2009-12-19, 03:06 AM
Q477

If I have to items that add +6 to the same ability, do they stack? (E.g. Boots of dexterity and Gloves of dexterity)

powerdemon
2009-12-19, 03:10 AM
Q477

If I have to items that add +6 to the same ability, do they stack? (E.g. Boots of dexterity and Gloves of dexterity)

A 477
As far as I know, they are both Enhancment bonuses and same type bonuses do NOT stack.

Gralamin
2009-12-19, 03:25 AM
A 477 - Clarification
While most bonuses of the same type do not stack, a few do, such as Dodge. When in doubt, check here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#modifierTypes).

ChakraChanter
2009-12-19, 03:33 AM
Q478

Since several enchantment bonuses (of the same type) do not stack, are there others ways to increase ability scores such as Int, Cha, Wis?

Edit: Such that @ lvl 1 Sorcerer has 18 CHa. What's the highest I can get it buy lvl 20? (Is 36 the max?)

Curmudgeon
2009-12-19, 04:53 AM
A 478

Bonuses of types other than enhancement will add to the score without conflict with enhancement bonuses, and there are many other such bonus types (morale, luck, sacred, profane, insight ...).

There are never any maximums for ability scores.

KillianHawkeye
2009-12-19, 10:00 AM
enchantment bonuses

Just a note: there's no such thing as an "enchantment bonus." Weapons, armors, and ability scores are generally improved via enhancement bonuses.

ChakraChanter
2009-12-19, 11:27 AM
There are never any maximums for ability scores.

Can you give me examples of such items that improve ability scores?

Q479

As a lvl 20 character, what further can increase Charisma other than Tome of Charimsa +5, 5 points all in Cha, Rod of Splendor +4 (I don't know if it stakes or not) and Cloak of Charisma +6 giving you a total of +20. How can you further increase that?

IthilanorStPete
2009-12-19, 11:30 AM
A479

Rod of Splendor is enhancement. Really, beyond that, you're looking at racial bonuses.

ChakraChanter
2009-12-19, 11:32 AM
So I was correct that, if further bonuses require racial, or divine, then the max one can recieve is +16 (Cloak, Tome, and points)

MichielHagen
2009-12-19, 12:05 PM
So I was correct that, if further bonuses require racial, or divine, then the max one can recieve is +16 (Cloak, Tome, and points)

No!

Things that come to mind:

Charisma increases by age

Half-Fey Template
Saint Template

Human Paragon
Gnome Paragon
Half-Elf Paragon

Charm Domain

Visage of the Greater Deity
Righteous Aura (Spell Compendium, Sacred Bonus)

Bellflower Tattoo

ChakraChanter
2009-12-19, 12:54 PM
No!

Things that come to mind:

Charisma increases by age

Half-Fey Template
Saint Template

Human Paragon
Gnome Paragon
Half-Elf Paragon

Charm Domain

Visage of the Greater Deity
Righteous Aura (Spell Compendium, Sacred Bonus)

Bellflower Tattoo

Taking a template would no longer allow you to be lvl 20.....How about items?

ChakraChanter
2009-12-19, 03:54 PM
Q480

Is there a feat that allows bards to casts spells while singing in bardic music? (Not linguring song)

Eldrys
2009-12-19, 03:56 PM
Q 481

In Eberron, how do you become a member of a dragonmark house? A lot of stuff has being as member a dragonmark house as a perquisite.

Coidzor
2009-12-19, 06:38 PM
A: 480 Yes. I believe the name of the feat is "Lyric Spell." Can't recall the source right now, though, sorry. Melodic Casting, sorry. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7538851&postcount=1398)

A: 481: There may be a way to petition to join a house if one manifests its dragonmark detailed in the Eberron Campaign Setting. The various dragonmarks themselves only have racial prerequisites, but really, the rest is up to the DM and roleplaying rather than RAW.

Q: 482: What is the method for gaining pounce as a class feature on a barbarian? I believe it's a variant class or ACF, but can't recall the name or source offhand.

IthilanorStPete
2009-12-19, 06:39 PM
A 482
The Lion Totem ACF from Complete Champion.

Curmudgeon
2009-12-19, 07:47 PM
Taking a template would no longer allow you to be lvl 20.....How about items?
Taking a template doesn't prevent hitting level 20; it just delays it. You may also want to look at Reducing Level Adjustments (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm).

ChakraChanter
2009-12-20, 02:19 AM
Taking a template doesn't prevent hitting level 20; it just delays it. You may also want to look at Reducing Level Adjustments (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm).

You are correct and incorrect. If one chooses a template with a +4 LA or higher, then one will never reach lvl 20. +3 LA and lower can be bought off but it does hinder you in the beginning.

jokey665
2009-12-20, 02:24 AM
You are correct and incorrect. If one chooses a template with a +4 LA or higher, then one will never reach lvl 20. +3 LA and lower can be bought off but it does hinder you in the beginning.

You assume the game suddenly stops existing once the characters hit ECL 20, which is not necessarily the case.

ChakraChanter
2009-12-20, 02:54 AM
You're right, but seeing how broken epic D&D has the potential to be, most stop at lvl 20. If not, then in my case, we never go beyond lvl 20, so most useful templates can't help me.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-12-20, 08:06 AM
You think level 21 isn't balanced, but level 20 is? Hilarious.

This is becoming too long, too argumentative, and too pedantic. It might be wise to take it off-thread.

A480

The feat in question is Melodic Casting, from Complete Mage pages 44-45. It also allows you to substitute Perform checks for Concentration checks.

Lyric Spell is from Complete Adventurer page 113 and allows you to expend bardic music uses instead of spell slots to cast spells.

If your DM thinks that Melodic Casting is 0v3rp0w3r3d, look into Nonverbal Spell, Planar Handbook page 40. It allows you to substitute any kind of noise (including song or speech) for a verbal component. As written, I'm not sure it allows you to cast while bard'ing, but it might be a starting point for a compromise.

Lord of Syntax
2009-12-20, 08:17 PM
Q483:
Is there a small sized race without a STR penalty?

Curmudgeon
2009-12-20, 08:25 PM
A 483 Yes.

Gully Dwarf (Dragonlance Campaign Setting, page 15)
Wild Dwarf (Races of Faerûn, page 23)
Korobokuru (another type of Dwarf) (Oriental Adventures, page 12)
Vril (a type of Gnome) (Drow of the Underdark, page 126)

Mauril Everleaf
2009-12-20, 11:47 PM
Q 484 Dark Knowledge, Knowledge Devotion and knowledge checks on monsters, can they all be made with a single check? Or would you need to make three separate checks to gain the benefits?

Curmudgeon
2009-12-21, 12:35 AM
A 484 Yes.

While Knowledge checks take no actions, you make any needed checks just once as required. If you identify a creature and immediately go into combat with it, that's just one check for all three functions:
identify creature type
assign Knowledge Devotion bonus to fight creatures of that type
if the creature is an aberration, elemental, magical beast, outsider, or undead type, grant your allies a Dark Knowledge bonus against such creatures

Killer Angel
2009-12-21, 04:41 AM
Q 485
I'm a wizard, with some quickened spell.
Can I cast a standard spell at my initiative and then, prepare an action (counterspell) with a quicken dispel magic, to cast later in the same round?

Curmudgeon
2009-12-21, 05:19 AM
A 485 No.

Casting a non-quickened spell requires a standard action.
Ready

The ready action lets you prepare to take an action later, after your turn is over but before your next one has begun. Readying is a standard action. Excepting special abilities that let you take more than one standard action in a round, you would have to wait until your next turn to ready (standard action) anything. The other order works, though: you could cast a quickened spell and then ready another spell.

Killer Angel
2009-12-21, 05:42 AM
A 485 No.

The other order works, though: you could cast a quickened spell and then ready another spell.

Q 485b

Interesting, but not usable for the tactic I've in mind...
Can I prepare an action, readying a combo with a quickened spell and a non-quickened one?

EDIT: thanks for the answer. I'll change my tactic, leaving aside the counterspell move.

Keld Denar
2009-12-21, 06:49 AM
A 485B

Again, no. You can't ready a swift action of any sort.

Readying an Action
You can ready a standard action, a move action, or a free action. To do so, specify the action you will take and the conditions under which you will take it. Then, any time before your next action, you may take the readied action in response to that condition. The action occurs just before the action that triggers it. If the triggered action is part of another character’s activities, you interrupt the other character. Assuming he is still capable of doing so, he continues his actions once you complete your readied action. Your initiative result changes. For the rest of the encounter, your initiative result is the count on which you took the readied action, and you act immediately ahead of the character whose action triggered your readied action.

You can take a 5-foot step as part of your readied action, but only if you don’t otherwise move any distance during the round

Thurbane
2009-12-21, 12:04 PM
A 485 continued

The Rules Compendium (p. 110) would disagree with you:

You can ready a standard action, a move action, a swift action, or a free action. To do so, you must specify what you want to do and the conditions under which you will do so. Then, any time before your next turn, you can take the readied action in response to those conditions. The action occurs just before whatever triggers it. If the triggering condition is part of another creature’s activities, you interrupt that creature’s turn. Assuming the interrupted creature is still capable of doing so, it continues its turn once you complete your readied action.

The SRD is outdated, as swift and immediate actions do not actually exist in it's boundaries.

MichielHagen
2009-12-21, 01:00 PM
A 485 continued

The Rules Compendium (p. 110) would disagree with you:

The SRD is outdated, as swift and immediate actions do not actually exist in it's boundaries.

The answer to the question however remains the same.

No, you cannot ready a swift AND standard action.

Thurbane
2009-12-21, 01:06 PM
Agreed. I just wanted to clear up the part about not being able to ready swift or immediate actions at all.

ChakraChanter
2009-12-21, 01:50 PM
Q486

What's that feat that allows you to become proficient with weapons that are race specific and where can I find it?

Mavian
2009-12-21, 01:56 PM
A486

Improved Weapon Familiarity in Complete Warrior

jokey665
2009-12-21, 01:56 PM
A486
Improved Weapon Familiarity from page 141 of Races of Stone makes all of your race's exotic weapons be treated as martial for you, if that's what you're looking for.

ChakraChanter
2009-12-21, 03:07 PM
Q487

Many psionic powers allow you to increase the damage done by spending more power points. Is there a cap on these powers, or can you blow all of them for a potential 320d6?

Mavian
2009-12-21, 03:16 PM
A487

You can’t spend more power points on a power than your manifester level (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#augment)

Zain_Thorngallow
2009-12-21, 06:20 PM
Q488

Roper's attacks, and Drag ability:

Can the Roper, when it has struck a creature with a Strand, choose to forgo dragging the creature 10' towards it? Or is this an automatic, uncontrollable effect?

On a related note, must a Roper strand always stick, or can the Roper continue full attacking in subsequent rounds, using only the Strength Damage portion of the ability? If it must stick, can it un-stick willingly, or must it sunder its own strand to disengage it?

Thank you for any insight you can provide!

Kosjsjach
2009-12-22, 04:17 AM
Q 489

Does a prestige class that fully advances spellcasting count towards a character's "Arcane Spellcaster Level" for the purposes of taking (and reaping the benefits from) the Improved Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#improvedFamiliar) feat?

(I ask because I'm building a human spellthief/wizard/unseen seer, and I like the idea of a Lantern Archon companion.)

Curmudgeon
2009-12-22, 04:56 AM
A 489 Yes.

Any PrC that says "+1 level of existing <type> spellcasting class" adds to your level for Improved Familiar.

CockroachTeaParty
2009-12-22, 12:33 PM
Q 490

When making a charge attack, can you combine the standard attack with a weapon etc. with a bull rush attempt? Or is a charging bull rush different from a normal charge?

Edit: Thanks DukeofURL. Just looking for a second opinion. That was my interpretation as well.

Duke of URL
2009-12-22, 12:47 PM
A 490

RAW is actually ambiguous on this point, but leans toward "no." The description for Bull Rush says:

You can make a bull rush as a standard action (an attack) or as part of a charge. When you make a bull rush, you attempt to push an opponent straight back instead of damaging him.

Which implies that a Bull Rush as part of a charge does not allow a normal weapon attack. On the other hand, Charge says:

After moving, you may make a single melee attack. You get a +2 bonus on the attack roll and take a -2 penalty to your AC until the start of your next turn.

A charging character gets a +2 bonus on the Strength check made to bull rush an opponent.

It does not mention that the two are mutually exclusive.

My own RAI take is that the answer is "no." A bull rush as part of a charge replaces the attack, it is not in addition to it. First of all, it makes sense from action economy, and secondly, this would seem to need an explicit allowance in the rules to do so, not a specific prohibition to disallow.

Tavar
2009-12-22, 01:27 PM
Q 491
When using a dragon fire adepts breathe attack while ariborne, how many squares/in what shape would the breathe attack be when aimed downward. Assume a 15ft breathe weapon.

Duke of URL
2009-12-22, 01:40 PM
A 491

RAW for cones is written for 2 dimensions. Any application in 3 dimensions is beyond RAW. :smallamused:

Basic math (the Pythagorean theorem, to be exact) says that it should be a cone whose length is 15' with a circular base with a diameter of 15' x sqrt(2) = 21' (appx. 4 squares).

AngelisBlack
2009-12-23, 03:14 AM
Q 492

The Absorption spell in Spell Compendium P6 lists the duration as "Until expended or 10 minutes/level" but nothing in the text or any errata says what will actually expend the spell. I get the feeling I'm missing something but I have no idea what. I'll post the text here for clarification.

Spells and spell-like effects that target you are absorbed, their energy stored
to power spells of your own. Absorption absorbs only ranged spells that have
you as a target. Touch spells, effect spells, and area spells that affect you
cannot be absorbed. Once the spell is cast, you can absorb
1d4+6 spell levels (rolled secretly by the DM). The level of each spell you
absorb is subtracted from the total. If a spell is only partially absorbed (because its level exceeds the number of levels remaining to be absorbed), divide the number of spell levels left unabsorbed
by the original spell level. For spells that deal damage, use the result to
determine what fraction of the damage you take. For spells that create effects, use the result as a percentage chance to be affected.
For example, you have three spell levels of absorption remaining and are
struck by dominate person cast as a 5th-level spell. Absorption absorbs three
levels of the spell, resulting in a 40% chance (2/5) that you will be affected
normally. If affected, any saving throw the spell allows you still applies. Likewise, if you’re struck by disintegrate cast
as a 6th-level spell with four levels of absorption remaining, two levels of the
spell remain, and you take only 33% (1/3) of the damage you would normally
take from the spell. You can use captured spell energy
to cast any spell you know or have prepared, but spells so cast don’t disappear from your list of prepared spells or count against the number of spells you can normally cast per day (so you so must keep a running total of spell levels absorbed and used). The levels of spell energy you have stored must be equal to or greater than the level of the spell you want to cast, and you must have at hand (and expend) any material components required for the spell.

Mavian
2009-12-23, 03:19 AM
A492

It is expended when you've absorbed 1d4+6 spell levels

Claudius Maximus
2009-12-23, 01:37 PM
A 492

It may be expended only when you have used all the stored energy as well, since the spell's duration can last for several minutes after it is done absorbing.

Duke of URL
2009-12-23, 01:42 PM
A 492, additional

A 492

It may be expended only when you have used all the stored energy as well, since the spell's duration can last for several minutes after it is done absorbing.

Just remember than you no longer absorb additional spells during this time period. (Should be obvious, but best to be explicit.)

Scoot
2009-12-23, 01:51 PM
Q 493
When creating a character using Point-Buy, when do you add racial modifiers to ability scores?

Douglas
2009-12-23, 01:54 PM
A493

As the last step of ability score generation, after all point costs have been determined and ability points spent, but before determining skill points, hit points, feat prereqs, and other effects of ability scores.

Accountant
2009-12-23, 04:34 PM
Q 494

What're the best ways to get rid of an antimagic field? As a 17th level wizard even.

IthilanorStPete
2009-12-23, 05:27 PM
A 494
Too complex a question for this thread. Start a thread of your own.

Adamaro
2009-12-24, 07:46 AM
How far do epic lvls go after lvl 20?

tnx :-D

Duke of URL
2009-12-24, 08:06 AM
A 495

(Please remember to number your questions.)

There is no specified upper limit for epic levels.

Mauril Everleaf
2009-12-24, 09:48 PM
Q 496 What is the cost of the Slow Burst weapon property? What is the DC of the effect?

Curmudgeon
2009-12-24, 11:20 PM
A 496

Magic Item Comendium, page 43 has the answers. It's +5,000 gp to the weapon cost, and DC 14.

ChakraChanter
2009-12-25, 12:10 AM
Edit Q497
If you whirlwind while duel-wielding, do you attack each enemy twice you come in contact with?

Lord of Syntax
2009-12-25, 12:20 AM
Q497:
If you enter a Whirling Frenzy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy ) while MWFing do you get a extra attack with each weapon?

Overshee
2009-12-25, 01:20 AM
Q498:
What are the ways (as many as possible) to augment a natural attack?

Curmudgeon
2009-12-25, 05:43 AM
A 497 (both of them) No, and no.
Benefit: When you use the full attack action, you can give up your regular attacks and instead make one melee attack at your full base attack bonus against each opponent within reach.

When you use the Whirlwind Attack feat, you also forfeit any bonus or extra attacks granted by other feats, spells, or abilities. It's one attack against each opponent, not one attack per opponent for each weapon you've got. The feat specifically mentions that you forfeit other attacks, such as from the ability to fight with two weapons.

While in a whirling frenzy, the barbarian may make one extra attack in a round at his highest base attack bonus It's just one attack for the round, not one for each weapon you've got.

Claudius Maximus
2009-12-25, 10:43 AM
A 498

The feat Improved Natural Attack can increase the damage dealt by a single natural weapon.

Feats like Sanctify Natural Attack and Vile Natural Attack can augment natural attacks as well.

Increasing size increases all natural weapon damage.

Magic Fang and Greater Magic Fang add enhancement bonuses to natural attacks.

The Necklace of Natural Weapons enhances one or more natural weapons like a magic weapon, with enhancement bonuses and/or weapon special abilities.

There are many more methods beyond these. If you want more, I suggest making a new thread.

Eloel
2009-12-25, 01:45 PM
Q499

Do you provoke AOOs for using Immediate Action spells like Wings of Cover?

Temotei
2009-12-25, 03:46 PM
A 499

I believe so. The SRD says spells that use free actions don't provoke attacks of opportunity. It also says that generally spells do provoke them. So unless a spell explicitly states that it doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity, yes.

Curmudgeon
2009-12-25, 06:10 PM
A 499 No.
Casting a quickened spell is a swift action (instead of a free action, as stated in the Quicken Spell feat description in the Player's Handbook). In addition, casting any spell with a casting time of 1 swift action (such as choose destiny) is a swift action.

Casting a spell with a casting time of 1 swift action does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
Using an immediate action on your turn is the same as using a swift action, and counts as your swift action for that turn. Getting at the answer requires looking at nested rules, but immediate action spells do not provoke AoOs.

Eloel
2009-12-26, 08:49 AM
Q500!!
Is there a way to get Knockback (feat) as a Warforged?

Adumbration
2009-12-26, 12:23 PM
Q501

Is it possible to trip with warlock's Eldritch Glaive invocation?

Curmudgeon
2009-12-26, 01:05 PM
A 500 Yes.

A warforged Psychic Warrior could use Expansion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/expansion.htm) to make the size qualification for Knockback. The feat would only be usable when the power was manifested. An Egoist could use Metamorphosis to achieve the same end.

A warforged Cleric or Favored Soul could cast Righteous Might and attain Large size. Also a Cleric with the Gluttony domain can increase their size as if they were affected by Enlarge Person, without actually qualifying as a valid target for that spell.

A warforged Sorcerer/Wizard could use Polymorph (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorph.htm) to take the form of a Large or larger creature.

Curmudgeon
2009-12-26, 01:11 PM
A 501 No.

Eldritch Glaive appears similar to a glaive, but it is not specified as a tripping weapon. Only unarmed strikes and weapons that specifically state that you may use them for trip attempts are tripping weapons.

Lord of Syntax
2009-12-26, 01:41 PM
Q502:
Do you get extra attacks from T/MWFing on each attack from a high BAB?

Claudius Maximus
2009-12-26, 02:41 PM
A 502

No. Two-Weapon Fighting allows for a single extra attack. You need to take Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, and Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting to gain further iterative attacks with your off-hand weapon.

Egiam
2009-12-26, 02:59 PM
Q 503

What happens when someone attacks a creature involved in a grapple?

I remember something like a D% roll to hit the wrong target, but can not find that section again.

ericgrau
2009-12-26, 04:40 PM
A 503
That rule was in 3e, but it no longer exists in 3.5e. Attacking someone in a grapple with a melee weapon is nothing but a benefit since it denies their dex (and if pinned they lose 9 more AC to boot). Attacking a grappler with a ranged weapon, however, has an equal chance of hitting anyone in the grapple unless you have improved precise shot.

Lord of Syntax
2009-12-26, 09:13 PM
Q504:

What Int casters use the Sorc. progression?

Thurbane
2009-12-26, 09:56 PM
A 504

AFAIK, only Beguilers.

Rasman
2009-12-27, 12:52 AM
Q 505

Really stupid question, but I have to ask because my brain is too tired to figure it out myself.

In regard to feats, do stat bonuses from items count towards stat prereqs for feats?

Such as, if I had a Cha 13 base, but had an item that increased my Cha to 15, could I take Frightful Presense, which requires a 15 Cha?

Douglas
2009-12-27, 12:56 AM
A505

Yes, but the feat would only work while you were wearing the item.

ChakraChanter
2009-12-27, 01:32 AM
Q506 If a weapon requires a fortitude save, does it get any bonuses?

KillianHawkeye
2009-12-27, 01:51 AM
A 506

Magical items have a saving throw bonus equal to 2 + one-half their caster level for all saves. I believe nonmagical items don't get to make saves normally.

Rasman
2009-12-27, 02:16 AM
Q 507

Does the feat Ability Focus (Stunning Fist) also apply to the Quivering Palm ability or would I have to take Abiliy Focus (Quivering Palm) as well?

...I know the answer, I think, I just want someone to tell me I'm right though XD

Curmudgeon
2009-12-27, 02:52 AM
A 507

Stunning Fist is a general feat, available to all who qualify. Quivering Palm is a Monk special attack. There's no connection between the two. Furthermore, Ability Focus can only be applied to special attacks, and Stunning Fist doesn't seem to qualify by a strict reading of the RAW. The Player's Handbook only uses the term to refer to specific limited maneuvers; see the Combat chapter, pages 154 and following. Stunning Fist isn't described as a special attack anywhere in that book. The term special attack is also used in the Monster Manual; see page 6 and individual monster descriptions; again, Stunning Fist is not listed as a special attack.

So:
You can take Ability Focus (Quivering Palm); this class ability is listed under "Special" on Table 3-10: The Monk, and is described as an attack in the ability description.
You cannot take Ability Focus (Stunning Fist); the Stunning Fist feat does not meet the RAW prerequisite of the Abiilty Focus feat.
While a lenient DM may go past the letter of the rules in allowing Stunning Fist to work with Ability Focus, there's still no connection between Stunning Fist and Quivering Palm.

Douglas
2009-12-27, 10:03 AM
A506 addition

If a magic item is being held or used at the time the save is made, it uses either its own save (2 + half caster level) or its user's save, whichever is better.

Fitz10019
2009-12-27, 11:55 AM
Q508

At what point, if any, is a grappling person considered prone (for the purposes of +/- 4 AC v. other non-grappling opponents (ranged/melee)? Pinned mentions an AC penalty without specifying melee/ranged, and without reference to being prone.

KillianHawkeye
2009-12-27, 02:12 PM
A 508

There is no point at which grappling results in making the target prone. For that, you use a trip attack. I don't believe there's anything that prohibits you from grappling while prone. And since tripping is usually an unarmed attack, you should be able to attempt a trip attack during a grapple (after making a successful grapple check), but you'll have to take the normal -4 penalty for attacking while grappling.

ChakraChanter
2009-12-27, 03:59 PM
Q 509

The Remorhaz Extraordinary ability Heat states that,"...any weapon that strikes a remorhaz is allowed a DC 18 Fortitude save to avoid destruction."

What qaulifies the weapon to be magcal as someone stated in A506? If the weapon is not, then does the weapon even get a Fortitude save?

Q510

Can you cast a spell while prone, if so what is the Concentration check one has to make?

Kosjsjach
2009-12-27, 05:56 PM
Q 511

What way(s) there to safeguard a spellbook scribed (at least in part) with the aid of the [I]secret page spell (to avoid scribing costs) from dispel magic and its ilk?

Would a lead-encased book-sheath do the trick, or would I need to store it in an extradimensional space? Would that even have the desired effect)?

Curmudgeon
2009-12-27, 09:45 PM
A 510

There are no specific prohibitions against casting most spells while prone, though your DM may freely add one of the usual "unfavorable conditions" circumstance penalties, typically +2 to the DC for any Spellcraft check. You cannot, however, use a spell that requires a ranged attack roll:
An attacker who is prone has a -4 penalty on melee attack rolls and cannot use a ranged weapon (except for a crossbow). Also see Complete Arcane, pages 85 and following, on "Weaponlike Spells".

Curmudgeon
2009-12-27, 09:53 PM
A 509

Magical weapons are magical weapons; i.e., they have a magical enhancement bonus of at least +1 to attack and damage. But a weapon does not need to be magical to get a saving throw.
An item attended by a character (being grasped, touched, or worn) makes saving throws as the character (that is, using the character’s saving throw bonus). So the wielder of a nonmagical weapon uses their own Fortitude save to see if they can avoid having that weapon be melted or charred.

Kosjsjach
2009-12-28, 01:50 AM
Q 512

By RAW, would a prestige class that offers Spellcasting (or Spells per Day) at "+1 level of existing spellcasting class" (or "+1 level of existing class") advance the dual-spellcasting-progression of another class?

For example, could a Mystic Theurge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/mysticTheurge.htm) who takes a level of Loremaster (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/loremaster.htm) progress his Mystic Theurge casting, thereby increasing the spellcasting power of his two original classes?

Douglas
2009-12-28, 01:54 AM
A512

No. To qualify as a spellcasting class in the sense required for advancement by other classes, a class must offer its own spellcasting without depending on another class's progression. All base spellcasting classes are eligible, as are classes like Ur-Priest, Blackguard, Assassin, and Sublime Chord. Mystic Theurge, Loremaster, Archmage, Ultimate Magus, and so on are not.

Zom B
2009-12-28, 11:51 AM
Q513

My DM seems to think that if a rogue gets more than one attack per round and the enemy is unaware of them (let's say the rogue was Invisible), that after the first attack the enemy is now aware of them and so no longer is denied his Dex bonus to AC and thus the rogue only gets SA on the first swing. Is he right? We can't find in the rulebook how long a creature is denied its Dex, whether it is for a single attack or until the creature's next action.

The rogue in question also has some levels in Swordsage and uses some ability that lets him make two attacks as a standard action (I don't have the book so you'll have to fill in that blank). If the DM is right, would this work to allow him SA on the two attacks?

Kosjsjach
2009-12-28, 11:58 AM
A 513

At the beginning of combat, each character is flat-footed until they begin their turn (so if they're caught in a surprise round and fail initiative, that's two attacks the enemy gets to which you don't get a Dex bonus (excluding features and whatnot that specifically get past this)).

With that, I'd rule that if a character lacks a Dex bonus at the beginning of being attacked, they lack it for each subsequent attack, too.

But then, I could be wrong.

Zom B
2009-12-28, 12:03 PM
I'm not talking about a surprise round.

With that, I'd rule that

Not a thread for personal rulings.

Douglas
2009-12-28, 12:34 PM
A513

It depends on the means by which you are gaining sneak attack. If you are acting before your target's first action in the combat, he is flat-footed and you get sneak attack on all attacks. If you are flanking, you get sneak attack on all attacks. If you are invisible and stay invisible throughout your attack routine, as with Greater Invisibility, you get sneak attack on all attacks. If you are invisible for the first attack only, as with regular Invisibility, you get sneak attack only on the first attack. If you are attacking from hiding, unless you have a means to remain hidden while attacking you only get sneak attack on the first attack. If you feinted, you only get sneak attack on the single attack the feint applies for.

ChakraChanter
2009-12-28, 06:42 PM
Q514

Are there any races that give a +2 Con, +2 Dex, with a low level Adjustment?

Thurbane
2009-12-28, 06:51 PM
A 514

Whisper Gnome (+2 DEX, +2 CON, -2 STR, -2 CHA) LA 0.

Water Halfling (+2 DEX, +2 CON, -2 STR) LA 0.

Hobgoblin (+2 DEX, +2 CON) LA +1.

Dragonborn Catfolk (+2 CON, +2 DEX, +2 CHA) LA +1.

Temotei
2009-12-28, 07:00 PM
A 514

More races: Grimlock LA +2 (and 2 racial hit dice) -- +4 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con, –2 Wis, –4 Cha

Centaur LA +2 (and 4 racial hit dice) -- +8 Str, +4 Dex, +4 Con, +2 Wis, –2 Int

Satyr LA +2 (and 5 racial hit dice) -- +2 Dex, +2 Con, +2 Int, +2 Wis, +2 Cha

Technically the centaur doesn't work because it's +4 each, but...I thought I'd mention it.

Thurbane
2009-12-28, 07:39 PM
Q 515

Am I correct in assuming that a character with sufficient levels in the Stoneblessed PrC could take levels in the respective Racial Paragon class (Dwarf or Gnome)?

Eldhusgaur
2009-12-28, 10:17 PM
Q 516
If I use the five foot step to get out of reach for melee, does it grant an AoO for whoever threatens me in melee?

BizzaroStormy
2009-12-28, 10:19 PM
A516

No. A 5-foot step does not provoke an Attack of Opportunity.

Adamaro
2009-12-29, 06:42 AM
Q517
I am a DM and need some big guns monster-wise. Where can I find some +CR20 monsters (besides srd Epic monsters)?

tnx :-D

Curmudgeon
2009-12-29, 07:05 AM
A 517

Monsters in the CR 20-22 range:
{table=head]Name|CR|Size|Type (subtype)|HD|Al|Environment|Home plane|Book
Bone Ooze|21|Gargantuan|ooze|20|N|Any Underground|Material|MM2 36
Crawling Head|20|Huge|undead|28|CE|Any Deserts/Underground|Material|FF 35
Deathraven Swarm (Divine Wrath)|20|Tiny|magical beast(swarm)|18|N|Any|Material|BoE 189
Demon: Balor|20|Large|outsider(chaotic, evil, extraplanar)|20|CE|Any|Abyss|SRD
Demon: Myrmyxicus (Tanar'ri)|21|Huge|outsider(aquatic, chaotic, evil, extraplanar)|18|CE|Any Aquatic|Abyss|FF 52
Devil: Paeliryon (Baatezu)|22|Huge|outsider(evil, extraplanar, lawful)|18|LE|Any Land/Underground
Baator (Nine Hells)|FF 58|Devil: Pit Fiend|20|Large|outsider(evil, extraplanar, lawful)|18|LE|Any
Baator (Nine Hells)|SRD |Giant, Eldritch, Confessor, 11th-level Cleric|20|Huge|giant|36|NE|Temperate Mountains|Material|MM3 57
Linnorm, Gray|20|Huge|dragon|13|CE|Any Hills/Mountains|Material|MM2 141
Megapede|20|Colossal|vermin|32|N|Warm Deserts|Material|MM2 148
Night Twist, Ancient|20|Huge|plant|25|NE|Temperate Marshes|Material|MM3 111
Orcwort|20|Colossal|plant|32|N|Temperate/Warm Hills/Marshes/Plains|Material|MM2 165
Roc, Chaos|22|Colossal|magical beast|33|CN|Temperate/Warm Mountains|Material|MM2 45
Tarrasque|20|Colossal|magical beast|48|N|Any|Material|SRD
Thunder Worm|21|Colossal|magical beast|48|N|Temperate Land|Material|FF 176
Titan|21|Huge|outsider(chaotic, extraplanar)|20|C|Any|Chaotic Good|SRD|[/table]

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-29, 12:17 PM
Q 518

Do Karsites from Tome of Magic get Human Bonus Feat and Skill Points, on top of everything else they get?

Killer Angel
2009-12-29, 12:24 PM
Q 519
(sort of... :smalltongue:)

The thread reached his final page. Is someone going to start a new one, or should we ask to Roland for close this one?

KillianHawkeye
2009-12-29, 12:33 PM
A 519 Roland always starts the new Q&A threads himself.

ChakraChanter
2009-12-29, 02:15 PM
Q520

Can Ray of Stupidity drop one's Intelligence below 1? If so, what happens? (say to an animal with Int 4)

Q521

What happens to an animal or being if it's Inteligence is 1?

Zom B
2009-12-29, 02:20 PM
A521

Nothing, except they have animal-like intelligence. A lot of animals already have Intelligence 1.

An animal has an Intelligence score of 1 or 2. A creature of humanlike intelligence has a score of at least 3.

IIRC, being reduced below 3 intelligence makes you no longer able to speak.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-29, 02:20 PM
Q520

Can Ray of Stupidity drop one's Intelligence below 1? If so, what happens? (say to an animal with Int 4)

Q521

What happens to an animal or being if it's Inteligence is 1?

A 520

Don't know about the spell. But Int, Wis or Cha 0 = coma.

Q 521
You can't understand simple maths, nor can you comprehend speech. You are essentially a 1 year old, you remember that a fire can cook food (Wisdom), but can't remember how to do it. I think.

Douglas
2009-12-29, 02:30 PM
A518

Yes, they do.

A520

Yes, it can. This, combined with the low intelligence of many monsters not immune to it, is the primary reason the spell is broken. A creature with 0 intelligence is unconscious and helpless.

A521

For many animals, int 1 is the normal situation. They just act like they normally do. For other creatures that are normally smarter, they start acting like an animal of that intelligence would, keeping in mind previous relationships. RAW is not completely clear on the details of what this means. Int-based casters become unable to cast, obviously, but unless otherwise spelled out as with Feeblemind it is unclear whether wisdom or charisma based casters keep their casting ability. I think such a character loses the ability to speak language, but I'm not sure where to find that rule. The extent of his ability to understand previously known languages and to understand plans and tactics, or to use abilities not explicitly based on intelligence, is not clear.

Tavar
2009-12-29, 02:31 PM
Q 522
Does the spell Beast Claws(Comp Divine, Page 151) give you natural weapons?

ChakraChanter
2009-12-29, 02:38 PM
Q522

Can ray of stupidity drop one's Int 1 to Int 0?

Sorry, didn't see that douglas responded to my question

Douglas
2009-12-29, 02:39 PM
A522

Technically by RAW, no it does not.

Note, btw, that this spell was reprinted and changed in Spell Compendium, and my reading of the SC version of the spell is that they go to considerable trouble to lay out how these claws work very much like natural weapons but are not actually natural weapons.

A523 (get the numbers right, please)

Yes, it can.

Tavar
2009-12-29, 02:40 PM
A 523
This has already been answered. Yes, it can drop it to 0.

Sliver
2009-12-29, 03:03 PM
A 523
This has already been answered. Yes, it can drop it to 0.

And asked again by the same person too!

ChakraChanter
2009-12-29, 04:49 PM
I hadn't seen the previous post sorry about the inconvenience.

Q524

If Ray of Stupidity is broken, how can I explain this to my PCs. They know they fight creatures with low Int, yet they can't see how this can be broken if [ab]used.

Douglas
2009-12-29, 05:13 PM
A524

Point out that, against low intelligence enemies, it is an automatic no save instant effective complete kill ignoring all other factors, resisted only by touch AC (hah!) and spell resistance. If they don't understand how a single level 2 spell instantly defeating a, say, 12 headed pyrohydra (CR 13) at full hp with 95% probability is broken, I can't help you. Sure, it's not dead, but that's easily fixed by a coup de grace, and it's not going to do anything to stop you from doing that.

Also, this isn't actually a RAW question.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-29, 06:07 PM
Q525

Does the Incarnate Weapon Soulmeld count as an item for Vow of Poverty?

Q526

Do any Soulmelds interfere with Vow of Poverty?

ChakraChanter
2009-12-29, 06:26 PM
Q527

Do you guys know of any good prewritten campaigns for 3.5?

Thank you Thurbane, and I'm sorry for the inconvenience

Thurbane
2009-12-29, 06:52 PM
ChakraChanter, your last two questions are a little outside of the intent of this thread. You're probably better off starting a new thread for Q 527 - this thread is really for asking questions about Rules As Written and rules judgments. :smallwink:

Schylerwalker
2009-12-30, 03:51 PM
Q 528

What kind of bonus to Disguise Self, Alter Self, etcetera, give to disguise checks? It merely says "bonus." I suspect circumstances, but I'm not sure.

Sliver
2009-12-30, 04:03 PM
A 528

I believe that when the bonus type is untyped, it is indeed an untyped bonus, stacks with everything.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-30, 04:20 PM
Q525

Does the Incarnate Weapon Soulmeld count as an item for Vow of Poverty?

Q526

Do any Soulmelds interfere with Vow of Poverty?

First of all: Bump.

Second of all:
Q529

What LA+0 races are there that give an Intelligence boost, besides Grey Elf?

Sliver
2009-12-30, 04:27 PM
A 529

Deep Imaskari (Und p9) +2 Int, -2 Dex
Fire Elf, (UA p17), +2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Cha, -2 Con
Exiled Modron (DR354 p43) +2 Con +2 Int –2 Dex –2 Cha

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-30, 05:05 PM
Q530

Last one I promise.

Do Class Skills remain Class Skills when you join a different class?

eg. After 3 Levels of Bard I multiclass to Fighter. Is Perform (in which I have max ranks) still considered a Class Skill?