PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XI

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

jokey665
2009-12-30, 05:17 PM
A530

No, they do not remain class skills. You must spend two points to gain one rank.

However, because it is a class skill for at least one of your classes, the maximum ranks you may have is the same for a normal class skill.

Quote the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/skillsSummary.htm):

Each skill point you spend on a class skill gets you 1 rank in that skill. Class skills are the skills found on your character’s class skill list. Each skill point you spend on a cross-class skill gets your character ½ rank in that skill. Cross-class skills are skills not found on your character’s class skill list. (Half ranks do not improve your skill check, but two ½ ranks make 1 rank.) You can’t save skill points to spend later.

The maximum rank in a class skill is the character’s level + 3. If it’s a cross-class skill, the maximum rank is half of that number (do not round up or down).

Regardless of whether a skill is purchased as a class skill or a cross-class skill, if it is a class skill for any of your classes, your maximum rank equals your total character level + 3.

Pigkappa
2009-12-30, 05:23 PM
Q 531
By the rules, can a cleric with no god choose any domain he likes (except for obvious issues - no LG clerics with Chaos and Evil, and similar)?

Q 532 (sorry for this >_<)
What do "RAW" and "SRD" mean?

Kosjsjach
2009-12-30, 05:28 PM
A 531
By RAW, yes. (See below.) Though your DM will probably still want your domains to link thematically (like Destruction and War, or somethingsuch), since you instead have to devote yourself to an ideal.

A 532
RAW stands for Read As Written (contrasted with RAI, or "read as intended"), and
SRD stands for System Reference Document, which can be found here (http://d20srd.org).

Gonna get ninja'd.

EDIT: wow, didn't.

EDIT AGAIN: For clarification, RAW can be interpreted as "the letter of the law", and RAI can be thought of as "the spirit of the law".

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-30, 05:30 PM
Q 531
By the rules, can a cleric with no god choose any domain he likes (except for obvious issues - no LG clerics with Chaos and Evil, and similar)?

Q 532 (sorry for this >_<)
What do "RAW" and "SRD" mean?

A531
Clerics without a God must devote themselves to a cause. While technically they could pick any domains, DM's should approve them and make sure they fit the theme of the cause they worship.

A532
RAW = Rules As Written. This is the interpretation of the rules that follows the book to the letter, even if it is stupid.

RAI = Rules As Intended. This is how the writer probably meant the rule to work when they made that silly typing error.

SRD = The online site containing all D&D 3.5 content covered by the Open Game License. www.d20srd.org/ (http://www.d20srd.org/)

Edit: Damned ninjas :smallannoyed:

AngelisBlack
2009-12-30, 11:57 PM
Q 533

What action is it to apply a poison to a weapon, and how long does it remain effective for once applied?

GreyVulpine
2009-12-31, 12:36 AM
Q 533

What action is it to apply a poison to a weapon, and how long does it remain effective for once applied?

A 533

Standard Action to apply. Lasts until you hit with the weapon, or it is touched.

SethFahad
2009-12-31, 01:18 AM
Q534

Full attacks with ranged weapons don't provoke attacks of opportunity. The provocation for a ranged attack is only specified under the "Standard Actions" section of the Combat chapter. The table in the "Full-Round Actions" section says full attacks don't provoke AoOs, and the text there doesn't contradict that or make any exceptions.

I want some clarification.

Does this mean f.e. that if a grapple or trip or disarm someone as a full attack I don't provoke AoO?

What if I charge and my opponent has L.Gambit feat or reach??? No AoO?

What if I'm unarmed with a BA +6 and full attack with my bare fists a fully armed enemy? No AoO?

I'm confused...:smallconfused:

Curmudgeon
2009-12-31, 02:06 AM
A 534

Does this mean f.e. that if a grapple or trip or disarm someone as a full attack I don't provoke AoO?
No. The table entry under "Full Attacks" is a specific rule, but you also must follow any exceptions to specific rules.
Step 1

Attack of Opportunity. You provoke an attack of opportunity from the target you are trying to grapple.
Making a Trip Attack

Make an unarmed melee touch attack against your target. This provokes an attack of opportunity from your target as normal for unarmed attacks.
Step 1

Attack of Opportunity. You provoke an attack of opportunity from the target you are trying to disarm.

What if I charge and my opponent has L.Gambit feat or reach??? No AoO?
I checked the online feat index (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/feats), and couldn't find any "L.Gambit" feat. I don't know what you're referring to. Regardless, a charge generally means you're not making a full attack, so that doesn't seem to be on topic. And if you are actually referring to Robilar's Gambit, that's got nothing to do with a charge, and also has built-in exceptions to the normal rules, as most feats do. (That's their whole purpose, after all.)

What if I'm unarmed with a BA +6 and full attack with my bare fists a fully armed enemy? No AoO? Again, you must obey specific exceptions in the rules:

Attacking unarmed provokes an attack of opportunity from the character you attack, provided she is armed.

SethFahad
2009-12-31, 02:20 AM
A 534

No. The table entry under "Full Attacks" is a specific rule, but you also must follow any exceptions to specific rules.

So ranged attacks don't belong to exceptions to specific rules?

PH135

ATTACKS
In combat, the most prevalent standard action is an attack. You can
move your speed and make an attack in a round (a move action and a
standard action). Experienced characters can attack more than once,
but only if they don’t move (a full-round action). Making a ranged
attack provokes attacks of opportunity from opponents that threaten
you (see below).

(yes it was R. Gambit... sorry.)

Adamaro
2009-12-31, 04:36 AM
Q535

I would like to read a bit on how magic would change the world (exmpl. ressurection spell) and I am sure there are some similar threads out there, but as a hobby-lurker (and not hard-core member :-D) I heave no idea how to find these threads.

Could someone please do a bit of a search for me regarding threads dealing with the way world would look in which you can ressurect people, detect poison on a whim, comphrehend languages w. magic and - post some links to these threads?

mucho thnx :-D

powerdemon
2009-12-31, 06:09 AM
A 535
This question is way outside the scope of this thread. This thread is for rules and such, so you would be better off starting a new thread with your question.

Coidzor
2009-12-31, 01:06 PM
Q536: What books are the prestige classes Fist of the Forest, Nature's Warrior, Warshaper, and Master of Many Forms found in?

V: Thank you kindly.

Mavian
2009-12-31, 01:11 PM
A536

In order.
Complete Champion, Complete Warrior, Complete Warrior, Complete Adventurer

Wizards has a list of prestige classes and they books they are in here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/prc).

Curmudgeon
2009-12-31, 01:58 PM
So ranged attacks don't belong to exceptions to specific rules? (You should add a new question number if you're asking a new question.)

Using the terminology in Rules Compendium (see page 5) this is a specific rule rather than an exception to one.

COMBAT BASICS
This section summarizes the rules and details concerning combat.
Making a ranged attack provokes attacks of opportunity from opponents that threaten you (see below).
There's nothing about ranged attacks and attacks of opportunity immediately below that note. There is a great deal more about ranged attacks and AoOs in the pages that follow (logically "below"), which provide the full rules rather than just the summary on that single page. And the full rules specify the following:

Ranged attacks provoke AoOs if they're standard actions.
Full attacks do not provoke AoOs.

evil-frosty
2010-01-01, 01:47 AM
Q537

When you sneak attack, do you get the extra dice with both weapons? I reread the entry for sneak attack and didnt see it mentioned.

powerdemon
2010-01-01, 02:24 AM
Q537

When you sneak attack, do you get the extra dice with both weapons? I reread the entry for sneak attack and didnt see it mentioned.

A 537
I assume you mean while Two-Weapon fighting.

Only if both attacks would qualify for sneak attacks. If you are flanking, yes. If the defender is denied dex bonus (Such as if you have Greater Invisibility not regular invisibility) then yes.

If you are hiding, and get two attacks on your first turn, then probably not unless you have something special that lets you stay hidden after the first attack.

EDIT: This question was just asked two pages back, here is a repost of the answer:

A513

It depends on the means by which you are gaining sneak attack. If you are acting before your target's first action in the combat, he is flat-footed and you get sneak attack on all attacks. If you are flanking, you get sneak attack on all attacks. If you are invisible and stay invisible throughout your attack routine, as with Greater Invisibility, you get sneak attack on all attacks. If you are invisible for the first attack only, as with regular Invisibility, you get sneak attack only on the first attack. If you are attacking from hiding, unless you have a means to remain hidden while attacking you only get sneak attack on the first attack. If you feinted, you only get sneak attack on the single attack the feint applies for.

Overshee
2010-01-01, 08:24 AM
Q538
If you have the ability to full attack after a charge (ex. through pounce), can you still use the effects of spring attack (movement before and after attack)?

Q539
How do gauntlets affect unarmed damage, and how do they effect monk unarmed damage?

Q540
How do you determine the cost for a spell to be cast on you and then permanancied?

Sliver
2010-01-01, 09:27 AM
A539

Gauntlets are unarmed attacks that let you deal lethal damage. Due to their separate listing on the Weapons table it is debated if they count as unarmed strikes or not.

A540

I believe that spells need to have specified the price in their entry or you can't permanency them.

Roland St. Jude
2010-01-01, 10:13 AM
Sheriff of Moddingham: This thread has reached the 50 page limit. Please see the new thread here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7606606#post7606606)