PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XI

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Roland St. Jude
2009-08-31, 08:03 PM
(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written). This thread is for all simple RAW questions about D&D 3.5.

If your question is about D&D 4e or some other system, ask here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6837321)
If your question is about real world weapons and armor ask it here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1149238581 ;start=0#0).
If your question is about homebrew rulings start a thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew).
If you are looking for the meaning of an acronym or abbreviation look here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1121064702 ;start=0#0).

The Procedure:

Do:
Label your questions with bold Q#s.
Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
Answer a question that’s already been answered.
Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
Post to debate the answers given.
Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
What +2 LA race should I take for my sorcerer build? (Again, an opinion question)
Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
Q.1. Are there any Large +0 LA races?
Q.2. As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
Q.3. What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?

{The first several versions of this thread seemed to run pretty efficiently, but if you have any comments about how this thread could be improved please PM me.}

Please start over with the numbering. Thanks.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-31, 08:59 PM
Q 1

The SRD says that Turning Undead is considered an attack. Does this mean one can make Attacks of Opportunities with it?

Keld Denar
2009-08-31, 09:18 PM
A 1

No. Its not a weapon. By attack, I believe that its implied it would break invisbilitity or otherwise be considered "hostile" action. Not that that matters...TU doesn't work while invisible anyway, since the undead can't see you or your holy symbol...

Epinephrine
2009-08-31, 09:20 PM
A1 No. It's not a melee attack.

An attack of opportunity is a single melee attack, and you can only make one per round. You don’t have to make an attack of opportunity if you don’t want to.

edit: Ooh, ninjas!

Eloel
2009-09-01, 12:34 AM
A1 addition
It's stated as an 'attack', for the purposes of Charm Monster and similar spells that end if someone is hostile.

VirOath
2009-09-01, 02:12 AM
Q.2

What ways can someone use STR for the attack bonus instead of DEX for throwing weapons, if any?

Eloel
2009-09-01, 02:14 AM
A2
Not taking Weapon Finesse is a good start on the issue (you already use Str to attack bonus with Melee weapons)
Brutal Throw from Complete Adventurer gives Str instead of Dex to attack on thrown weapons.

Stegyre
2009-09-01, 09:05 AM
Q3
What feats grant new uses for turn undead abilities?

(For example, I'm looking for feats that allow you to exchange "X" turnings for an SLA or something. I'm trying to get a handle on how much cheese is possible by stocking up on turnings and then using them for anything but turning. :smallsmile:)

Eloel
2009-09-01, 09:07 AM
A3
Pretty much any feat with [Divine] descriptor.

Stegyre
2009-09-01, 09:51 AM
A3
Pretty much any feat with [Divine] descriptor.
It's a start. :smallsmile:

Q4
I recognize there's some existing debate, but for the Persistent Spell feat, what qualifies as a "fixed range" spell?

If there are two or more competing definitions, I'd like to see them both/all, with a brief explanation of their respective merits. In keeping with the nature of a RAW thread, however, this is not intended to invoke an extended discussion of the topic.

Douglas
2009-09-01, 10:15 AM
A4

Any spell whose range is completely independent of the caster. Close, Medium, and Long ranges all vary depending on the caster's level, so they do not qualify. Detect Magic, Recitation, Righteous Wrath of the Faithful, and Mass Lesser Vigor, just for a few examples, all have ranges expressed as a specific number of feet regardless of any characteristic of the caster, so they all qualify.

It is a matter of some debate whether "Touch" range qualifies.
For: You are in physical contact with the target when you touch them, so it's a fixed range of 0 from the caster's appendage.
Against: You can touch anything within your natural reach. How far this extends from your space varies with your size, and is therefore not fixed.

It's a matter of whether you count the range in this case as being measured from the space you occupy on a battlemap or from the nearest physical part of your body.

Random832
2009-09-01, 10:19 AM
A4

It means any spell for which the range is an exact number of feet (rather than an amount per level, or short/med/long. There is some debate as to whether touch spells qualify, and for persist in particular whether touch spells extended with Reach Spell metamagic feat (and ray spells in general) do/should qualify.

Salvonus
2009-09-01, 03:02 PM
Q5:

Do Power Repository Quori Embedded Shards (Magic of Eberron, p. 116) allow the user to gain access to powers not normally on their class/discipline list? Insofar as I can tell, there are no restrictions on what powers can be placed within the shard. Is there some sort of hidden rule that would restrict the Power Repository to only powers that you could learn normally?

Stegyre
2009-09-01, 05:24 PM
Q6
Are there any items that generate power points?

We have cognizance crystals that can store power points, and we have manifester armor and weapons that generate a small number (with the restriction on both that all their power points must be used on the same power). I'm wondering if there is anything more general that a psionic character could use in much the same manner as his own power point pool. (But respecting the single-source rule.)

quick_comment
2009-09-01, 05:25 PM
A6

You could take leadership. Have your cohort be a psion, and have him mind switch with your psicrystal. Now your psicrystal has the pp of a psion with your level-1

Edit: And it also has its own powers known, which you can manifest from.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-01, 06:03 PM
A 5

The limits on what you can accomplish with a Power Repository Quori Shard are these: You must be a Kalashtar or Inspired
The shard must be implanted in your body
Your body can only support 1 shard per manifester level
You lose 1 hit point per shard implanted, permanently
The power can only be 4th level or less
You lose access to a power of the same level to access the power in the shard
Swapping the powers requires 1 hour of meditation
You can only swap powers once in a day

Gralamin
2009-09-01, 06:10 PM
A 6
Psicrystals may take Feats. If Psicrystals take Wild Talent and a few other feats, they can have a psicrystal. (In fact, you can reach infinite numbers of psicrystals)
Bestow Power + Torc of Power Preservation + Earth Power, Will allow you to pay 1 pp to transfer 3. At level 15 and higher, you can use Channel Power to transfer points to yourself from the psicrystal. Each psicrystal should have two points, so this is very slow, but I'm 90% sure it works. (Now watch someone point out something I missed).

Salvonus
2009-09-01, 06:13 PM
A 5

The limits on what you can accomplish with a Power Repository Quori Shard are these: You must be a Kalashtar or Inspired
The shard must be implanted in your body
Your body can only support 1 shard per manifester level
You lose 1 hit point per shard implanted, permanently
The power can only be 4th level or less
You lose access to a power of the same level to access the power in the shard
Swapping the powers requires 1 hour of meditation
You can only swap powers once in a day

Yes, I already knew all that. Thanks for the recap, mind you. :smallsmile:

So... It can be any power, then, regardless of what list it comes from? That's very useful. :smallbiggrin:

Stegyre
2009-09-01, 07:08 PM
A 6
Psicrystals may take Feats. If Psicrystals take Wild Talent and a few other feats, they can have a psicrystal. (In fact, you can reach infinite numbers of psicrystals).
Psicyrstals can have feats?? Can you provide a cite for that? I've never heard of it before. :smallconfused:

Gralamin
2009-09-01, 07:23 PM
Psicyrstals can have feats?? Can you provide a cite for that? I've never heard of it before. :smallconfused:

Sure. Psicrystals have an intelligence score, as well as

Hit Dice: As master’s HD (hp ½ master’s)
So the Psicrystal is actually gaining Hit Dice. So every 3 HD, they get a feat, just like any other intelligence creature.

Compare to familiars

Hit Dice
For the purpose of effects related to number of Hit Dice, use the master’s character level or the familiar’s normal HD total, whichever is higher.
They are not actually gaining Hit Dice.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-01, 07:43 PM
Actually, that's dubious. Normally all that's required to obtain feats is to have both an Intelligence score (which psicrystals do) and hit dice (which they sort of do). However, the entry for the psicrystal (Expanded Psionics Handbook, pages 207-208) does not include rules for Advancement; instead, it says:
A psicrystal’s characteristics depend on its master. Its Hit Dice are equal to its master’s Hit Dice (counting only levels in psion or wilder), its hit points are equal to half its master’s, and its saving throw bonuses are the same as its master’s.

Stegyre
2009-09-01, 07:58 PM
Actually, that's dubious. Normally all that's required to obtain feats is to have both an Intelligence score (which psicrystals do) and hit dice (which they sort of do). However, the entry for the psicrystal (Expanded Psionics Handbook, pages 207-208) does not include rules for Advancement; instead, it says:
Is advancement necessary for feats? Looking at it the same entry, it seems that the psicrystal starts with alertness as its first-level feat. If that is the default rule, why would it not gain another feat when its master reached ML 3, 6, etc.?

For that matter, I think I've seen some feats that will increase a familiar's HD, so would that not also give them feats at every third HD?

Looking at the entry raised another question:

Q7
What happens to the manifester if a psicrystal is destroyed? (Any hit point damage? A delay in acquiring a new psicrystal?)

Kallisti
2009-09-01, 08:04 PM
A 7 Good question
Good question. Nowhere in the Expanded Psionics Handbook or SRD does it specify. Neither did they specify in the errata. I always houserule that it has the same penalties as losing a familiar.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-01, 08:27 PM
Is advancement necessary for feats?
All Advancement monster entries spell out the details of what happens when a creature gains hit dice. Psicrystals instead have a specific statement (which I quoted) which overrides the usual mechanics of hit dice gain. The only thing that's not completely clear is if this overrides all such mechanics, including feat acquisition. Since this specific override breaks basic maxims of hit dice gain (including the minimum of 1 HP per level), my opinion is that it does completely replace the usual hit dice gain rules -- hence no feats for psicrystals.

Gralamin
2009-09-01, 09:44 PM
All Advancement monster entries spell out the details of what happens when a creature gains hit dice. Psicrystals instead have a specific statement (which I quoted) which overrides the usual mechanics of hit dice gain. The only thing that's not completely clear is if this overrides all such mechanics, including feat acquisition. Since this specific override breaks basic maxims of hit dice gain (including the minimum of 1 HP per level), my opinion is that it does completely replace the usual hit dice gain rules -- hence no feats for psicrystals.

This argument is ridiculous. For instance:

Skill Description entries spell out the details of what happen when a creature uses a skill. Hide in plain sight has a specific statement which overrides the usual mechanics of the hide skill. The only thing that's not completely clear is if this overrides all such mechanics, including sniping. Since the specific override breaks basic maxims of the hide skill (Including the need to be unobserved when you hide), my opinion is that it does completely replace the usual hide skill rules -- hence a creature with Hide in Plain sight cannot snipe.
This is a very close following of your exact logic. All I have done is plug in what are equivalents. Obviously, this is not how the rules work. Though, if we are to continue this, we should probably make a thread for it.

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-02, 08:39 AM
Q8 If a character has total cover (due to being in a Briar Web, Complete Divine pg 157) do all creatures not in the briar web also have total cover from that creature?

Q9 Does sleet storm block blindsight or touchsight? It says all sight...

Epinephrine
2009-09-02, 08:50 AM
A8 (partial) Briar Web was updated in the Spell Compendium, and doesn't provide cover. I don't have the text of the C.Div version, however.

A9 (partial) No, blindsight doesn't actually involve "sight". The blindsight description clearly states that it is a nonvisual ability.

"Some creatures have blindsight, the extraordinary ability to use a nonvisual sense (or a combination of such senses) to operate effectively without vision. Such sense may include sensitivity to vibrations, acute scent, keen hearing, or echolocation."

So despite blocking sight, it shouldn't block blindsight.

If merely containing the word "sight" were enough, sleet storm would block insight bonuses too, and Foresight (wow, a way to surprise high level mages!) :smalltongue:

I don't know what "touchsight" is, it sounds like tremorsense. If it too is non-visual, it shouldn't be affected.

weenie
2009-09-02, 09:02 AM
Q 10

If a caster is blinded, can he still use targeted spells that don't require a touch attack? What about AoE spells?

Douglas
2009-09-02, 09:15 AM
A10

In order to target someone with a spell, you must see or touch them. A blinded caster is unable to see anyone, so all targeted spells effectively become touch range for such a caster as long as the blindness lasts. Whether you can make a touch attack for targeting a non-touch range spell as part of the casting is not clear in RAW, though I personally would allow it. Regardless, the spell is not actually touch range and does not normally require an attack roll, so the rules for holding the charge, getting a critical hit or sneak attack, and any other rules specific to touch range spells do not apply.

AoE spells can be used normally, though the caster may have difficulty determining what position would be the best choice for the spell's center.

Epinephrine
2009-09-02, 09:18 AM
Q 10

If a caster is blinded, can he still use targeted spells that don't require a touch attack? What about AoE spells?

A10 By RAW, I believe you can cast a spell that requires a target, even if you can't actually see anyone. You can't however target anyone you can't see or touch. Target selection occurs after the spell is cast.

Some spells have a target or targets. You cast these spells on creatures or objects, as defined by the spell itself. You must be able to see or touch the target, and you must specifically choose that target. You do not have to select your target until you finish casting the spell.

Area spells require selecting the point of origin and/or direction, but no restriction is made that one must be able to see the point of origin, so you could cast a spell affecting an area simply by selecting the point of origin/direction.

Edit: ninja'd!

Eloel
2009-09-02, 09:38 AM
A10 correction
With spells requiring attack rolls, you can target a square instead of a creature. If there's someone in that square, you still have a 50% miss chance against them.

Douglas
2009-09-02, 09:44 AM
A10 correction
With spells requiring attack rolls, you can target a square instead of a creature. If there's someone in that square, you still have a 50% miss chance against them.
If you mean rays, Acid Arrow, orbs, and similar spells, then you are correct. These are not, strictly speaking, targeted spells, however. My answer is for spells that have a "Target:" line in the spell description. Rays and similar spells have an "Effect: Ray" or similar line instead, and as a consequence are not technically considered targeted spells and are not subject to the rules concerning them. With effect spells like rays, you can indeed target a square instead and hope that you both picked the right square and can succeed on the ranged touch attack and miss chance rolls. The critical difference here is whether that "Target:" line is present or not.

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-02, 10:24 AM
Q11 What are the costs involved with purchasing, training, and outfitting a griffin as a mount? In GP cost as well as skill ranks &c. necessary to train and effectively ride, please.

Q12 Can you use wandstrike and pierce magical protection in the same standard action?

Q13 If I use a bottle of smoke to make a smoke horse (SpC p37) can I use the ride skill to gain cover (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/ride.htm)? Nothing in the RAW seems to prohibit this, though it defies logic.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-02, 10:59 AM
A 12 No.

Use of each of these feats requires a standard action. To use both feats requires two standard actions.

blazinghand
2009-09-02, 02:56 PM
Q11 What are the costs involved with purchasing, training, and outfitting a griffin as a mount? In GP cost as well as skill ranks &c. necessary to train and effectively ride, please.

A 11

From the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/griffon.htm):

Although intelligent, a griffon requires training before it can bear a rider in combat. To be trained, a griffon must have a friendly attitude toward the trainer (this can be achieved through a successful Diplomacy check). Training a friendly griffon requires six weeks of work and a DC 25 Handle Animal check. Riding a griffon requires an exotic saddle. A griffon can fight while carrying a rider, but the rider cannot also attack unless he or she succeeds on a Ride check.

Griffon eggs are worth 3,500 gp apiece on the open market, while young are worth 7,000 gp each. Professional trainers charge 1,500 gp to rear or train a griffon.

Totally Guy
2009-09-02, 03:46 PM
Q14

Can I take a feat with prerequisites that I can only meet if I include my new level?

Sallera
2009-09-02, 03:49 PM
A14

Yes, generally. Skill rank, class feature, and hit die/class level requirements will all take into account the level you just gained when qualifying for a feat.

Random832
2009-09-02, 04:55 PM
A 14 Yes, always.

From the SRD: "A character can gain a feat at the same level at which he or she gains the prerequisite." No exceptions. (unless a feat specifically mentions an exception, I suppose. But this text means it's not dependent on the leveling steps vs the type of prerequisite.)

Ellington
2009-09-02, 05:08 PM
Q15

Is a tripped/prone character denied his dex bonus to AC? As in, if I trip a character with a fighter/rogue, do I get to make sneak attacks against him?

Random832
2009-09-02, 05:15 PM
A15

No. Prone characters are neither flatfooted nor denied Dex to AC.

Stegyre
2009-09-02, 07:07 PM
Q16
What ways are there to acquire the evasion ability other than as a class ability? (I.e., no rogue 2, ranger or swordsage 9, etc.)

I am aware of the Ruin Delver's Fortune spell (SC) but am wondering if there are any other spells, magic items, feats, or other avenues to evasion.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-02, 07:29 PM
A 16

The most obvious item is the Ring of Evasion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#evasion). This is actually superior to the class ability because it doesn't have the armor limitations.

Milskidasith
2009-09-02, 09:09 PM
Q 17

When is caster level for a spell determined? I.E. if I cast, say, True Res while using a bead of Karma, and it runs out halfway through casting, does the spell gain the benefit of the bead of karma? What if a readied action to dispel me if I do anything hits me and dispels the effect of the Bead of Karma when I cast a spell with a shorter (standard action) casting time?

Thurbane
2009-09-02, 09:41 PM
Q 018

When calculating treasure for an encounter, do you count magic items as their purchase value, or their resale value? For instance, in the treasure of a EL10 encounter (5800gp), would a Ring of Protection +1 count as 2000gp, or 1000gp?

Curmudgeon
2009-09-02, 09:49 PM
A 17

The spell is resolved at the completion of casting.
You make all pertinent decisions about a spell (range, target, area, effect, version, and so forth) when the spell comes into effect.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-02, 09:50 PM
A 18

You use list prices. No assumption about PC behavior (keep/sell) is involved in treasure valuation.

Stegyre
2009-09-02, 10:45 PM
QA 17 Clarification

A 17

The spell is resolved at the completion of casting.
I take that to mean the CL boost must be in effect the enitre casting time, rather than only at completion, yes? Otherwise, a character could activate a (relatively) short-term CL boost mid-way through casting. Yes?

oxinabox
2009-09-02, 11:20 PM
Q19
can a raptorian, wearing 'easy tavel amour' fly while carrying medium load

n shield,
Arms and Armor, cat's grace.
Cost to Create: Varies.
EASY TRAVEL
Price: +1,500 gp
Property: Armor
Caster Level: 5th
Aura: Faint; (DC 17)
transmutation
Activation: —
This armor seems to weigh less than
it should.
When wearing armor that has
this property, you can carry up
to a medium load as if it were a
light load (ignoring the maxi *
mum Dexterity bonus, check penalty,
and reduced speed normally incurred by
a medium load). These reductions apply
only to penalties for the load you carry,
not to any reduction in speed caused by
the armor itself.
In addition, you can walk for up to 10
hours in a day before having to make Con*
stitution checks to avoid taking nonlethal
damage (PH 164).
Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and
Armor, bear's endurance.
Cost to Create: 750 gp, 60 XP, 2 days.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-03, 12:25 AM
QA 17 Clarification

I take that to mean the CL boost must be in effect the enitre casting time, rather than only at completion, yes? Otherwise, a character could activate a (relatively) short-term CL boost mid-way through casting. Yes?
Yes, for the following two reasons:
There is no listed activation method for a Bead of Karma, which means it defaults to either use activation (meaning automatic when you first start casting for the day, which would be fairly silly) or a command word taking a standard action.
Activation: Usually use activated or command word, but details vary from item to item.
Interrupting the actions required to cast a spell would ruin the spell.
These actions must be consecutive and uninterrupted, or the spell automatically fails.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-03, 12:33 AM
A 19

Strictly by RAW, no. The benefits of easy travel armor are specified as only
ignoring the maximum Dexterity bonus, check penalty, and reduced speed normally incurred by a medium load. As there is no mention of flight, this armor property does not help in that regard. You might convince a DM to be generous, although the inexpensive nature of the armor enhancement might make that a difficult job.

Eloel
2009-09-03, 03:42 AM
Q20
Can Vampiric Dragon template be added to Venerable Dragonwrought Kobold? If no, why not?

oxinabox
2009-09-03, 07:12 AM
Q21 can a soul knife benefit from powerful build/strong arm bracers?

Curmudgeon
2009-09-03, 07:16 AM
A 20 Yes.

I'm not sure why you'd want to make an old kobold undead and anchor it to its hoard, but it's RAW possible.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-03, 07:23 AM
A 21

Strongarm Bracers work as usual for a Soulknife. There is no effect on its mind blade, of course.
As a move action, a soulknife can create a semisolid blade composed of psychic energy distilled from his own mind. The blade is identical in all ways (except visually) to a short sword of a size appropriate for its wielder. The size appropriate for the Soulknife does not change even if the Soulknife can also use an inappropriately sized weapon without penalty.

Eloel
2009-09-03, 09:29 AM
Q22
Are there any feats or class abilities that improve a swarm's abilities?
I know of Ability Focus(Poison) & Improved Natural Attack, but I'm pretty much stuck there.

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-03, 02:32 PM
Q23 If I have a strike readied that requires a standard action to initiate, and makes an attack role as part of the manuever, for example Steely Strike, can I initiate it as a charge attack?

Douglas
2009-09-03, 02:33 PM
A23

Unless the strike itself includes a charge, no. A normal charge ends with a melee attack, not a standard action, and the initiation time of most strikes is a standard action, not a melee attack. A standard action can be spent to make a melee attack, but not the reverse.

Epinephrine
2009-09-03, 02:35 PM
A22 Yes, there exist other feats that could boost a swarm - Virulent Poison and Deadly Poison, for example (Savage Species).

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-03, 02:35 PM
A22 Additional Info Darkspeech in the book of vile darkness can grant sentience to a swarm and give it a few extra abilities.

Elfin
2009-09-03, 02:59 PM
Q24
Do mithral armors count as 1 category lighter for armor proficiency, or just speed?

Douglas
2009-09-03, 03:05 PM
A24

Mithral armor is considered lighter for all "limitations". Proficiency requirements are, in my view and that of the vast majority of people I've seen express an opinion on the subject, limitations and are therefore affected.

Random832
2009-09-03, 03:17 PM
A24

Elven Chain

This extremely light chainmail is made of very fine mithral links. Speed while wearing elven chain is 30 feet for Medium creatures, or 20 feet for Small. The armor has an arcane spell failure chance of 20%, a maximum Dexterity bonus of +4, and an armor check penalty of -2. It is considered light armor and weighs 20 pounds.

No aura (nonmagical); Price 4,150 gp.

The stats given, including price, are precisely those for Mithral Chainmail built using the description of Mithral and the description of Chainmail, and they felt no need to clarify in this description beyond "It is considered light armor".

The same is true of the Mithral Shirt, and - other than the special ability and price, the Mithral Full Plate of Speed.

Maxymiuk
2009-09-03, 07:21 PM
Q25

When taking a Run action with your mount, can you still perform melee attacks, or use wands during your round? If so, are there any penalties associated? (The only thing the PHB is explicit about in the situation is ranged attacks).

Curmudgeon
2009-09-03, 07:48 PM
A 25

You can use a wand while your mount is running. Wands use spell trigger activation. The description for this refers back to spell completion, which in turn refers back to normal spellcasting, which is described as an option for mounted combat on a running horse.
Spell Trigger

Spell trigger activation is similar to spell completion, but it’s even simpler. No gestures or spell finishing is needed, just a special knowledge of spellcasting that an appropriate character would know, and a single word that must be spoken.
Spell Completion

This is the activation method for scrolls. A scroll is a spell that is mostly finished. The preparation is done for the caster, so no preparation time is needed beforehand as with normal spellcasting. All that’s left to do is perform the finishing parts of the spellcasting (the final gestures, words, and so on).
Casting Spells while Mounted

You can cast a spell normally if your mount moves up to a normal move (its speed) either before or after you cast. If you have your mount move both before and after you cast a spell, then you’re casting the spell while the mount is moving, and you have to make a Concentration check due to the vigorous motion (DC 10 + spell level) or lose the spell. If the mount is running (quadruple speed), you can cast a spell when your mount has moved up to twice its speed, but your Concentration check is more difficult due to the violent motion (DC 15 + spell level). As the mounted combat rules explicitly call out what actions you can perform on a running mount (ranged attack, spellcasting, and move actions), the logical conclusion is that you cannot make melee attacks.

*.*.*.*
2009-09-03, 09:10 PM
The EPH is confusing me right now...

Q26:The ECL of monsters in the EPH tend to be less than their hit dice, let lone their hit dice+their La. If I'm playing through their hit dice, do I stop at their ECL or do I continue through with the HD?

Douglas
2009-09-03, 09:36 PM
Can you give an example? Are you sure you're not looking at CR instead of starting ECL?

*.*.*.*
2009-09-03, 09:44 PM
Can you give an example? Are you sure you're not looking at CR instead of starting ECL?

Well, Black Slaad(ECL 27, HD 29) and Infernal (ECL 30, HD 40) for example~

Douglas
2009-09-03, 10:03 PM
A26

I think either you are misreading it somehow or your source is simply in error.

Where are you getting these ECL numbers from? It sounds like you're looking at the Epic Level Handbook (my first guess for EPH was Expanded Psionics Handbook, btw, be more careful about your book abbreviations), and according to my copy of it, Black Slaad has ECL 29 and Infernal has ECL 40 from the table on page 156.

Stegyre
2009-09-03, 11:40 PM
Q27
I'm wondering if an Arcane Lock, or the psionic equivalent, can "lock" the entrance to a Rope Trick or Psychoportive Shelter.

By RAW, the 'Lock "cast upon a door, chest, or portal magically locks it." The entrance to these extra-dimensional spaces is clearly not a door or chest, but "portal" may mean a door or it may mean simply an entrance, such as a doorway.

By RAW, the entrance to a Rope Trick or Psychoportive Shelter partakes of some "door" elements: it cannot be seen through (at least, not from the outside), and it blocks line of effect. But these entrances do not normally block the entrance or exit of creatures. Which is it, and why?

powerdemon
2009-09-03, 11:42 PM
Q27
I'm wondering if an Arcane Lock, or the psionic equivalent, can "lock" the entrance to a Rope Trick or Psychoportive Shelter.

By RAW, the 'Lock "cast upon a door, chest, or portal magically locks it." The entrance to these extra-dimensional spaces is clearly not a door or chest, but "portal" may mean a door or it may mean simply an entrance, such as a doorway.

By RAW, the entrance to a Rope Trick or Psychoportive Shelter partakes of some "door" elements: it cannot be seen through (at least, not from the outside), and it blocks line of effect. But these entrances do not normally block the entrance or exit of creatures. Which is it, and why?
A27 Partial

They are using the meaning for the word portal (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/portal)in the ye-olde-English style. So by that reasoning No. There is no Door on a rope trick spell, just a fold in space/time/dimensions. By RAW I have to say No, but as always, ask your DM.

Sliver
2009-09-04, 05:12 AM
Q28

Last question reminded me something I wanted to ask for a while..
I have seen spells that work with a portal, or against it. Changing destination or something else..
But I haven't seen a spell that creates a portal. Is there a way for players to create one?

Curmudgeon
2009-09-04, 06:58 AM
A 28

To build a portal you need the Create Portal feat (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, page 34). Further details of portal building are on page 61 of that book.

Mourdos
2009-09-04, 07:06 AM
Q 29

Does a wand require you have have an ability score high enough to cast the spell stored within the wand in order to use the wand?

Reasoning: Wand is spell trigger, which is similar bar the differences mention in it (Only need to be on your class list is the most relevant) to spell completion, and spell completion requires the ability score to be high enough to cast the spell (as detailed under scroll activation).

Curmudgeon
2009-09-04, 07:29 AM
A 29 No.

Spell trigger activation is simpler than spell completion, and can even be accomplished by those incapable of casting spells.
Spell trigger activation is similar to spell completion, but it’s even simpler. No gestures or spell finishing is needed, just a special knowledge of spellcasting that an appropriate character would know, and a single word that must be spoken. Anyone with a spell on his or her spell list knows how to use a spell trigger item that stores that spell. (This is the case even for a character who can’t actually cast spells, such as a 3rd-level paladin.) The user must still determine what spell is stored in the item before she can activate it.

Stegyre
2009-09-04, 08:50 AM
A 29 Clarification

A 29 No.

Spell trigger activation is simpler than spell completion, and can even be accomplished by those incapable of casting spells.
Wands may be used even by character's incapable of casting spells IF the character has the spell in question on his class list (e.g., a paladin of too low a level to cast spells who is attempting to activate a spell on the paladin spell list -- this is the example specifically given in the SRD), OR the character succeeds on a DC20 UMD check:

Use a Wand
Normally, to use a wand, you must have the wand’s spell on your class spell list. This use of the skill allows you to use a wand as if you had a particular spell on your class spell list. This use of the skill also applies to other spell trigger magic items, such as staffs.

(As an aside: the need for a UMD check is one of the principle distinctions between spell-completion and spell-trigger items, on the one hand, and command word and continuous/use activated items, on the other.)

Curmudgeon
2009-09-04, 09:07 AM
Wands may be used even by character's incapable of casting spells IF the character has the spell in question on his class list
Since I quoted the text that said exactly exactly that in my response, I'm not sure what you're attempting to clarify. The questioner mentioned spell trigger activation, so Use Magic Device details would seem to be off-topic.

So what was (or is) unclear?

Lolzords
2009-09-04, 09:10 AM
Q.30 Does a Changeling's Minor Change Shape ability go away if in an antimagic field?

Ditto
2009-09-04, 09:24 AM
A 30

Yes, it does go away. Minor Change Shape is a Supernatural Ability, and (Su) abilities are suppressed by AMFs.

Supernatural Abilities (Su)
Supernatural abilities are magical and go away in an antimagic field but are not subject to spell resistance, counterspells, or to being dispelled by dispel magic.
Unless there's some Changeling-specific update I've missed, a changeling would presumably revert to his natural white-gray smooth-featured form.

Random832
2009-09-04, 09:30 AM
Since I quoted the text that said exactly exactly that in my response, I'm not sure what you're attempting to clarify. The questioner mentioned spell trigger activation, so Use Magic Device details would seem to be off-topic.

It's unclear how wands are any more usable by characters incapable of casting spells than scrolls [as implied by your wording "Spell trigger activation is simpler than spell completion, and can even be accomplished by those incapable of casting spells." which seems to imply that spell completion cannot be accomplished by those incapable of casting spells], since both are usable by e.g. a too low-level paladin or ranger, whereas both require a UMD check for a non-caster.

Douglas
2009-09-04, 09:35 AM
which seems to imply that spell completion cannot be accomplished by those incapable of casting spells]
An implication which is entirely correct. A level 1 Paladin can use wands of Paladin spells but cannot use scrolls of the same spells. Using a scroll of a spell you can't cast yet requires a caster level check, and you can't make a caster level check if you don't have a caster level. Not having a caster level at all is different from having a caster level of 0, and Paladins below level 4 don't have a caster level.

Stegyre
2009-09-04, 09:39 AM

You did, that's true, but your pre-quote summary noted only that "Spell trigger activation . . . can even be accomplished by those incapable of casting spells," which is incomplete and potentially misleading if one does not also read the quote and catch the distinction of the class-list requirement. (Something readers should do but too often don't.) Further, nothing in your answer indicates the process for how a character without the spell on his class list is able to use a spell trigger.

My response has emphasized a latent point in your response and clarified that, for those lacking the spell on their class list, a UMD check is required.

It seems that we have no disagreement on the correct answer, and my clarification has added something material to the answer (the UMD check). Admittedly, the original question did not ask for so much, but for that matter, the original question could have been succinctly answered, "No." I think that both of our responses have provided a much more useful answer. :smallsmile:

Curmudgeon
2009-09-04, 09:39 AM
It's unclear how wands are any more usable by characters incapable of casting spells than scrolls [as implied by your wording "Spell trigger activation is simpler than spell completion, and can even be accomplished by those incapable of casting spells."
That's not exactly my wording; it's simply a one-sentence highlight of the five sentences in the paragraph I quoted. Those five sentences explain under what circumstances someone incapable of casting a spell can trigger a wand. It's only by disregarding that clear quotation that anything seems to be "unclear".

Anyway, I'm quite done with this answer, thank you.

Fitz10019
2009-09-04, 12:27 PM
Q 31
Some burrowing creatues leave a usable tunnel (Thoqqa, Celestial Badger), some do not (Ankeg). For those that do, what type of ability is this? Supernatural?

Yora
2009-09-04, 12:31 PM
A 31
No, natural. It's just the way their bodies work. Same as humans who leave footprints. No magic involved.

Alejandro
2009-09-04, 09:21 PM
Q 32

Does the Lyre of Building need to have raw materials present in order to build houses, mines, tunnels, towers, etc (such as stone, lumber, etc) or does it build these things magically from nothing?

Curmudgeon
2009-09-04, 11:37 PM
A 32
The lyre is also useful with respect to building. Once a week its strings can be strummed so as to produce chords that magically construct buildings, mines, tunnels, ditches, or whatever. The effect produced in but 30 minutes of playing is equal to the work of 100 humans laboring for three days. As the effect is equivalent to labor only, the Lyre would need materials. It could use local rocks, trees, and even dirt plus atmospheric moisture for adobe construction. Or you could supply building materials of your choice.

powerdemon
2009-09-04, 11:46 PM
Q 33

Where is that list of variant rules. It was a wizards forum thread but I lost the link. Anyone have it :smallbiggrin:?

Demons_eye
2009-09-05, 01:28 AM
A:33
There are some variant rules found here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/881560000) and here (http://www.d20srd.org/) but I think they are the same info.

Q:34
Can you use two shields as weapons? IE: TWF with shields and you only gain the highest bonus for AC.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-05, 04:38 AM
A 34

Yes, you can bash with two shields as weapons. You suffer the appopriate two-weapon fighting penalties, and also lose the shield bonus from both of them.
Shield Bash Attacks

You can bash an opponent with a light shield or heavy shield, using it as an off-hand weapon. See Table: Weapons for the damage dealt by a shield bash. Used this way, a shield is a martial bludgeoning weapon. For the purpose of penalties on attack rolls, treat a heavy shield as a one-handed weapon and a light shield as a light weapon. If you use your shield as a weapon, you lose its AC bonus until your next action (usually until the next round). An enhancement bonus on a shield does not improve the effectiveness of a shield bash made with it, but the shield can be made into a magic weapon in its own right.

Totally Guy
2009-09-05, 07:01 AM
Q35

If I have Combat Reflexes and a +3 dex modifier can I attack a single opponent 4 times if he leaves 4 squares I threaten in his move action (say he's moving past me)?

Or is this feat only for attacking extra opponents once each, regardless of how many squares they pass through?

Eloel
2009-09-05, 09:08 AM
A35
You can attack an opponent more than once with AOOs, but not more than once for any opportunity. Moving out of threathened squares of an enemy counts as 1 opportunity, no matter how many of them you move out of.

But if they, say, moved out, and casted a spell, you'd get AOO for both.

Douglas
2009-09-05, 10:05 AM
But if they, say, moved out, and casted a spell, you'd get AOO for both.
Provided they were still in your threatened area when they cast the spell, of course.

HCL
2009-09-05, 11:01 AM
Q36

Do cleric domains that grant class skills only grant those class skills only for your cleric levels, or does the domain apply for your levels in other classes?

If I am a Cleric/Sorc/MT with knowledge and trickery domains are the skills from those domains class skills for only cleric or Sorc and Mystic Theurge also?

powerdemon
2009-09-05, 11:02 AM
A 34 additional

Also check out the thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104590) for a homebrew two shield fighting feat.

powerdemon
2009-09-05, 11:05 AM
Q36

Do cleric domains that grant class skills only grant those class skills only for your cleric levels, or does the domain apply for your levels in other classes?

If I am a Cleric/Sorc/MT with knowledge and trickery domains are the skills from those domains class skills for only cleric or Sorc and Mystic Theurge also?

A 36 Just for the cleric levels
Domains make skills into class skills for your cleric levels. Just like any other class skill (with a few exceptions) they only apply when you take a level in that class.
With the example of the animal domain:

Add Knowledge (nature) to your list of cleric class skills.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2009-09-05, 12:41 PM
fail. I didn't see the (by raw) part. A separate thread it is.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-05, 01:29 PM
A 37

That's not a RAW question, I'm afraid.

Gralamin
2009-09-05, 01:51 PM
A 37 Additional
There are some lose gudelines in Savage Species that might help.

powerdemon
2009-09-05, 01:59 PM
A 37

That's not a RAW question, I'm afraid.

Try starting a new thread and asking that. This is for questions by the rules, not character creation/homebrew. :smallwink:

Random832
2009-09-05, 10:26 PM
Q 37
Do you get more than one synergy bonus when you have more than one relevant skill?

This question came up in a recent thread. The problem is the wording "If you have 5 or more ranks in Bluff, Knowledge (nobility and royalty), or Sense Motive, you get a +2 bonus on Diplomacy checks." - "or" is used other places that seem logically intended to apply to a single bonus you get for being one or the other (e.g. the bonus to resist trip/bullrush for being four-legged or having Stability).

It's an unnamed bonus (often cavalierly described as a "synergy bonus", but it's clearly unnamed in the SRD), but the question isn't whether your multiple bonuses stack, but rather whether you even technically have more than one bonus in the first place. It's not clear at all whether the description under Diplomacy or the descriptions in each of Bluff, Knowledge, and Sense Motive (none of which mention the other two) are primary.

Stegyre
2009-09-06, 12:22 AM
Q 37
Do you get more than one synergy bonus when you have more than one relevant skill?

This question came up in a recent thread. The problem is the wording "If you have 5 or more ranks in Bluff, Knowledge (nobility and royalty), or Sense Motive, you get a +2 bonus on Diplomacy checks." - "or" is used other places that seem logically intended to apply to a single bonus you get for being one or the other (e.g. the bonus to resist trip/bullrush for being four-legged or having Stability).

It's an unnamed bonus (often cavalierly described as a "synergy bonus", but it's clearly unnamed in the SRD), but the question isn't whether your multiple bonuses stack, but rather whether you even technically have more than one bonus in the first place. It's not clear at all whether the description under Diplomacy or the descriptions in each of Bluff, Knowledge, and Sense Motive (none of which mention the other two) are primary.
A37 that should really be 38

It's a good question, but I believe it's implicitly answered by the format followed in another synergy description:

Synergy
If you have 5 or more ranks in Spellcraft, you get a +2 bonus on Use Magic Device checks related to scrolls.
If you have 5 or more ranks in Decipher Script, you get a +2 bonus on Use Magic Device checks related to scrolls.
If you have 5 or more ranks in Use Magic Device, you get a +2 bonus to Spellcraft checks made to decipher spells on scrolls.
Here, the SRD is very clear that a character gets a +2 bonus on UMD for 5+ ranks in Spellcraft and another +2 bonus on UMD for 5+ ranks in Decipher Script (both bonuses specifically limited to UMD checks on scrolls).

The fact that the SRD has such a distinct pattern and did not employ it in the Diplomacy description indicates that the synergy bonus for Diplomacy is a single +2 bonus that may be earned three different ways, not three different bonuses.

powerdemon
2009-09-06, 02:42 AM
Q 33

Where is that list of variant rules. It was a wizards forum thread but I lost the link. Anyone have it :smallbiggrin:?

Second stab at this one from a page back. It was posted as an answer in one of the last "Simple" threads but a search came up with nothing. It was from the wizards forums and I've tried searching there as well with no luck.

oprishon
2009-09-06, 03:46 AM
Q39:

In D&D 3.5, if a prestige class has a feat prerequisite, can you take it in the same level you take the feat in question? E.g. if a feat demands "Improved Initiative" and I've just reached level 9 and don't have it yet, can I start the prestige class immediately at the same time as I take Improved Initiative as my level 9 feat, or do I have to take Improved Initiative now and wait to start the prestige class when I get to level 10?

Random832
2009-09-06, 04:22 AM
A39 - No.

The rules for level advancement apply to this system, meaning the first step of advancement is always choosing a class. If a character does not meet the Requirements for a prestige class before that first step, that character cannot take the first level of that prestige class.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-06, 04:35 AM
A 33

I'm not sure what you mean by "variant rules". If you mean alternative class features, that's available here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872054/Alternative_Class_Features_III). A bunch of variant rules are in Unearthed Arcana, and you've already had a couple of links to them. The Dungeon Master's Guide has various alternatives for things like initial character creation.

It would help if you were more specific.

powerdemon
2009-09-06, 11:27 AM
A 33

I'm not sure what you mean by "variant rules". If you mean alternative class features, that's available here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872054/Alternative_Class_Features_III). A bunch of variant rules are in Unearthed Arcana, and you've already had a couple of links to them. The Dungeon Master's Guide has various alternatives for things like initial character creation.

It would help if you were more specific.

It might, but that was all I could remember about it. But that link you just posted is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Mudge :smallwink:

Demons_eye
2009-09-06, 12:41 PM
Q:40

If some one is in a darkness spell and attack's some one, not in the darkness spell, does that mean they attacker has to roll the 20% miss chance?

powerdemon
2009-09-06, 01:26 PM
Q:40

If some one is in a darkness spell and attack's some one, not in the darkness spell, does that mean they attacker has to roll the 20% miss chance?
A 40
Actually it would be 50% miss chance since the target can't be seen by the attacker. The target has total concealment. If the attacker also was attacked, they would have a 50% miss chance on them since they can't be seen as well.

Claudius Maximus
2009-09-06, 01:29 PM
A 40 correction

Darkness does not grant total concealment:

All creatures in the area gain concealment (20% miss chance).

powerdemon
2009-09-06, 01:29 PM
A 40 correction

Darkness does not grant total concealment:

Hmm. Sorry about that. :smallbiggrin:

Douglas
2009-09-06, 01:30 PM
A40

Assuming the area outside the Darkness spell is well lit, the attacker would not have to roll for miss chance. Darkness only grants concealment (not total concealment, powerdemon, Darkness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/darkness.htm) only makes things dim) to creatures inside its area. Lighting conditions in the target's square is what matters here.

powerdemon
2009-09-06, 01:31 PM
A40

Assuming the area outside the Darkness spell is well lit, the attacker would not have to roll for miss chance. Darkness only grants concealment (not total concealment, powerdemon, Darkness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/darkness.htm) only makes things dim) to creatures inside its area. Lighting conditions in the target's square is what matters here.

Ug, I must be thinking of the wrong spell. Sorry guys :smalleek:.

tyckspoon
2009-09-06, 01:33 PM
A 40
Actually it would be 50% miss chance since the target can't be seen by the attacker. The target has total concealment. If the attacker also was attacked, they would have a 50% miss chance on them since they can't be seen as well.

A 40 Correction
The Darkness spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/darkness.htm) is not the same as the area simply being dark. The spell overrides the existent lighting conditions with shadowy illumination (yes, if it is in fact completely dark otherwise, Darkness can be used as a makeshift light source.) This grants concealment to creatures standing inside it and has no effect on creatures standing outside it- D&D's rules don't care what you have to look through to see something. The only relevant condition (as far as lighting goes) is what is going on in the square of the object or creature you're looking at.

So, short answer: No, people standing outside a Darkness spell do not have concealment against attackers standing inside it.

Edit: Hah, I *knew* I'd get ninja'd on that.

powerdemon
2009-09-06, 01:38 PM
A 40 Correction
The Darkness spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/darkness.htm) is not the same as the area simply being dark. The spell overrides the existent lighting conditions with shadowy illumination (yes, if it is in fact completely dark otherwise, Darkness can be used as a makeshift light source.) This grants concealment to creatures standing inside it and has no effect on creatures standing outside it- D&D's rules don't care what you have to look through to see something. The only relevant condition (as far as lighting goes) is what is going on in the square of the object or creature you're looking at.

So, short answer: No, people standing outside a Darkness spell do not have concealment against attackers standing inside it.

Edit: Hah, I *knew* I'd get ninja'd on that.

I think I might be thinking of the 2nd edition darkness spell which was total blackness, so you couldn't see into it or out of it. I played AD&D for a long time before 3.5 so I still get some of the rules/spells and stuff mixed together :smallamused:. Sorry for the boggle :smallwink:.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-06, 03:17 PM
A 40 Yes.
Assuming the area outside the Darkness spell is well lit, the attacker would not have to roll for miss chance. Darkness only grants concealment (not total concealment, powerdemon, Darkness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/darkness.htm) only makes things dim) to creatures inside its area. Lighting conditions in the target's square is what matters here. That's not how the D&D rules work, actually.
Concealment

To determine whether your target has concealment from your ranged attack, choose a corner of your square. If any line from this corner to any corner of the target’s square passes through a square or border that provides concealment, the target has concealment. If you're in an area of Darkness (i.e., all lines from your square must go through concealment) then you've got a 20% miss chance to hit anything, anywhere.

KillianHawkeye
2009-09-06, 11:27 PM
I think I might be thinking of the 2nd edition darkness spell which was total blackness, so you couldn't see into it or out of it. I played AD&D for a long time before 3.5 so I still get some of the rules/spells and stuff mixed together :smallamused:. Sorry for the boggle :smallwink:.

It was like that in 3.0 as well. D&D 3.5 is the one that made it all weird and hard to visualize.

Claudius Maximus
2009-09-06, 11:47 PM
Q 41

Would a Necklace of Natural Weapons need to apply to two different claw attacks to affect both claw attacks of a creature with two claws? Say a creature has two claws and a bite, and wants to give all its attacks an enhancement bonus. Does it need a necklace that applies to two or to three natural attacks?

KillianHawkeye
2009-09-07, 03:49 AM
Q. 42

Are there any ways (not including magic items) to boost the Ranger's favored enemy besides the Improved Favored Enemy feat in CWar?

Curmudgeon
2009-09-07, 04:06 AM
A 41

You apply the enhancement cost of a Necklace of Natural Attacks to each individual natural weapon. Two claws and one bite are three natural weapons.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-07, 04:56 AM
A 42 Lots. Favored Power Attack (Complete Warrior, page 98) boosts your Power Attack bonus against favored enemies.
Extra Favored Enemy (Ghostwalk, page 32) adds another favored enemy to your list.
Bane of Enemies [Epic] (Epic Level Handbook, page 51) makes any weapon a bane weapon against all favored enemies.
Death of Enemies [Epic] (Epic Level Handbook, page 52) gives a chance of instantly killing a favored enemy on a critical hit.
Favored Critical (Masters of the Wild, page 23) expands the threat range of all weapons used against a particular type of favored enemy.
Supernatural Blow (Masters of the Wild, page 25) lets you deal extra damage dice to favored enemies normally immune to critical hits.
Wise to Your Ways (Ghostwalk, page 39) improves your saving throws against some favored enemy attacks.
Azure Enmity (Magic of Incarnum, page 34) lets you channel incarnum to boost damage to your favored enemies.
Favored Magic Foe (Complete Mage, page 42) enhances your magical attacks against favored enemies.
Hunters Mark (Dragonmarked, page 141) gives +1 to damage against favored enemies if you have a dragonmark.
Murderous Intent [Vile] (Elder Evils, page 14) reduces your favored enemy's actions on a successful attack.

Eloel
2009-09-07, 07:32 AM
A42 continued
Swift Hunter lets you deal your skirmish damage to normally-immune favored enemies.

Q43
Would a Wizard, who also has Hexblade levels (and thus, Mettle), lose XP on a succeeded saving throw for losing a familiar?

Stegyre
2009-09-07, 07:41 AM
Q44
Are there psionic power equivalents for the spells Silence (cl, ba 2) and Magic Aura (wi, so 1)? (Source too, please.)

shadow_archmagi
2009-09-07, 08:39 AM
Q45

Are there any situations wherein one might be denied a saving throw? Where can I find a list of such things? Does "No Dex to AC" also mean no reflex saves, since if you can't dodge one thing, you can't dodge another (you can hardly expect a blind man to see that fireball coming).

Myou
2009-09-07, 10:32 AM
Q 46

What happens if I try to step into an opponent's space? I know they get an AoO, but other than that?

Douglas
2009-09-07, 11:04 AM
A45

The only such situation I know of is when you are held in the mouth of a creature with the Snatch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#snatch) feat when that creature uses a breath weapon that allows a reflex save.

Losing dex to AC has no effect on your saves at all. You can even make a reflex save against a Fireball while sleeping, though your dexterity would be considered 0 and thus give a -5 penalty until you woke up.

xPANCAKEx
2009-09-07, 01:52 PM
Q47

simple magic item creation question

+1 scythe

would it cost 2018 or 2318?

basically do i have to masterwork a weapon before i can add a +1, or is that all bundled into the +1 cost?

Random832
2009-09-07, 02:18 PM
A 47

See Table: Uncommon Weapons in the Magic Weapons (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm) section of the SRD. The masterwork cost is separate, your cost is 2318.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-07, 02:42 PM
A 43 Yes.

You'd still suffer your normal XP loss for losing a familiar (100 XP per Wizard level on a successful save) because Mettle only helps when you're attacked.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-07, 03:00 PM
A 46
You incur an attack of opportunity for entering their square; this is separate from normal movement-generated AoOs.
You suffer the squeezing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm#squeezing) penalties (-4 to attack; -4 to AC; movement costs doubled).
You cannot end your turn there. If you try to do so, you're knocked back to the square you entered from.
You can’t move through a square occupied by an opponent, unless the opponent is helpless. If the opponent is not helpless, you must exit back the way you came.
Your opponent gets an AoO for you exiting their square, as usual for such movement.

powerdemon
2009-09-07, 03:10 PM
A 46
You incur an attack of opportunity for entering their square; this is separate from normal movement-generated AoOs.
You suffer the squeezing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm#squeezing) penalties (-4 to attack; -4 to AC; movement costs doubled).
You cannot end your turn there. If you try to do so, you're knocked back to the square you entered from.
You can’t move through a square occupied by an opponent, unless the opponent is helpless. If the opponent is not helpless, you must exit back the way you came.
Your opponent gets an AoO for you exiting their square, as usual for such movement.
Doesn't tumble also let you move through someones square?
EDIT: Yup. DC 25 tumble check to:

Tumble at one-half speed through an area occupied by an enemy (over, under, or around the opponent) as part of normal movement, provoking no attacks of opportunity while doing so. Failure means you stop before entering the enemy-occupied area and provoke an attack of opportunity from that enemy. Check separately for each opponent. Each additional enemy after the first adds +2 to the Tumble DC.

Myou
2009-09-07, 03:15 PM
A 46

But... but.... You can't stay there at all? What's the justification for that? :smalleek:

What if you're Tiny and can only attack by entering their square?

Curmudgeon
2009-09-07, 03:23 PM
But... but.... You can't stay there at all? What's the justification for that? :smalleek:

What if you're Tiny and can only attack by entering their square? Justification isn't part of this thread; just the rules.
Ending Your Movement

You can’t end your movement in the same square as another creature unless it is helpless.
Very Small Creature

A Fine, Diminutive, or Tiny creature can move into or through an occupied square. The creature provokes attacks of opportunity when doing so. If you're forced to use the squeezing rules you can enter, but not go through unless you render the opponent helpless while you're there. Very small creatures can go through.

The Tumble skill lets you go through and also avoid AoOs.

Random832
2009-09-07, 05:47 PM
Ending Your Movement

You can’t end your movement in the same square as another creature unless it is helpless.
Very Small Creature

A Fine, Diminutive, or Tiny creature can move into or through an occupied square. The creature provokes attacks of opportunity when doing so.

Um, those two rules you quoted actually conflict one another on the very point Myou mentioned. I would argue that the Very Small Creature one is the "more specific" one (and therefore takes precedence) on the theory that most combat rules are written for the generic [medium] case and therefore that any rule specifically mentioning a size category is meant as an exception.

Confused Dad
2009-09-07, 06:14 PM
Q 48

If a cleric with 18 CHA chooses Earth and Fire domains, does he have 7 turn attempts/day to be used as needed among undead/air/water creatures or does he have 7 turn attempts for EACH undead/air/water creatures?

The Neoclassic
2009-09-07, 06:36 PM
Q 49
This is very basic, so please forgive my terrible understanding of combat rules. I have a medium-sized, young black dragon. Therefore, it has a bite attack, a claw attack, and a wing attack. The dragon's BAB is +10, and I gave it the multiattack feat. Does this mean that when it does a "full attack", it will be attacking both with its bite attack and its claw attack (with the latter being at a -2 penalty)? Essentially, what are the requirements for full attack and how many is one limited to? I'm reading the SRD on it but I'm still rather confused. :smallredface: Thanks in advance!

blazinghand
2009-09-07, 06:56 PM
A 49

A medium-sized young black dragon has 1 primary bite attack, 2 secondary claw attacks, and 2 secondary wing attacks.

From the SRD: (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#naturalWeapons)

The primary weapon is given in the creature’s Attack entry, and the primary weapon or weapons is given first in the creature’s Full Attack entry. A creature’s primary natural weapon is its most effective natural attack, usually by virtue of the creature’s physiology, training, or innate talent with the weapon. An attack with a primary natural weapon uses the creature’s full attack bonus. Attacks with secondary natural weapons are less effective and are made with a -5 penalty on the attack roll, no matter how many there are. (Creatures with the Multiattack feat take only a -2 penalty on secondary attacks.) This penalty applies even when the creature makes a single attack with the secondary weapon as part of the attack action or as an attack of opportunity.

A young black dragon has 10 BaB and 2 Str mod. It attacks with the bite attack at a +12 attack bonus, and with two claws and two wings at a +7 attack bonus to the roll when making a full attack. If it has multiattack, the claws and wings attack at a +10 to hit. To make a full attack is a full-round action for the black dragon, meaning it cannot also make a move or standard action (barring certain spells) when it makes a full attack. As a standard action, the dragon will bite or use a breath weapon.

blazinghand
2009-09-07, 07:07 PM
A 48

Earth Domain Description (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/clericDomains.htm#earthDomain) seems to indicate that the limit of 3 + Cha mod applies solely to the turn air / rebuke earth ability:

Turn or destroy air creatures as a good cleric turns undead. Rebuke, command, or bolster earth creatures as an evil cleric rebukes undead. Use these abilities a total number of times per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier. This granted power is a supernatural ability.

Although it says that you use "these abilities" a total number of times per day equal to 3 + cha mod, it would seem that "these abilities" are entirely the abilities of Turning air creatures and Rebuking earth creatures. It would seem odd that "these abilities" wouldn't specify that you're not talking about channeling a type of energy you couldn't in the first place (negative energy if you're good, or positive energy if you're evil).

On the other hand, there's nothing to indicate that "these abilities" doesn't include any turning abilities you already had. RAW, I'm not sure, but I'd say that it's a separate source of energy being channeled and should have its own # of uses per day.

powerdemon
2009-09-07, 07:47 PM
Q 50

I know I've asked this before, but I forgot the answer and can't find the original post.

I want to make a magic item, preferably a worn item like a belt or vest that is always active or can be turned on and off, that makes you a large creature either by the spell enlarge person or another way.

How would I go about figuring out the price to make it/to buy it?

Gorgondantess
2009-09-07, 08:35 PM
Q 50

Simply put, does a creature entering a square covered by a grease (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/grease.htm) spell need the balance check, or is it only walking from said square? (That forces the balance check).

Demons_eye
2009-09-07, 08:44 PM
A:50
Info on making Magical Items can be found here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm)

Spell level × caster level × 2,000 gp

Enlarge person x caster level 1x 2000 times 2 equals about 4000gp. But I think I messed that up. Hope the link helps.

Possible Answer:51

To quote the Grease spell you linked

A grease spell covers a solid surface with a layer of slippery grease. Any creature in the area when the spell is cast must make a successful Reflex save or fall. This save is repeated on your turn each round that the creature remains within the area. A creature can walk within or through the area of grease at half normal speed with a DC 10 Balance check. Failure means it can’t move that round (and must then make a Reflex save or fall), while failure by 5 or more means it falls (see the Balance skill for details).

Gorgondantess
2009-09-07, 08:50 PM

To quote the Grease spell you linked

I'd like an unbiased viewpoint.:smallwink::smalltongue:

powerdemon
2009-09-07, 09:21 PM
I'd like an unbiased viewpoint.:smallwink::smalltongue:

A 51 You must make a balance check when entering the effect, just like Demons said.

powerdemon
2009-09-07, 09:30 PM
A:50
Info on making Magical Items can be found here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm)

Ok. That's my fault there. I didn't read that page close enough. Thanks Demon.

Stegyre
2009-09-07, 10:30 PM
Q 50

I know I've asked this before, but I forgot the answer and can't find the original post.

I want to make a magic item, preferably a worn item like a belt or vest that is always active or can be turned on and off, that makes you a large creature either by the spell enlarge person or another way.

A 50 Correction
The base formula for an always-on or use-activated item is:
Spell level (1) * Caster level (1) * 2,000 * a duration factor (2) = 4,000.

The duration factor depends on the base spell's ordinary duration. For a duration of 1 min. / level, like Enlarge Person, that factor is 2.

Additionally, you need to consider whether the effect is appropriate for the body slot. If not, the cost needs to be increased 50%. Here, however, the affinity for a belt slot includes "physical improvement," which certainly seems to fit the effect of Enlarge Person.

All that being said, item creation is a problematic field for RAW. While it is not properly a "RAW," the SRD implies that you should also consider the cost of similar items that produce the same effect, to determine if the formula price needs to be increased or decreased. (For example, I've statted up a continuous Protection from Evil item that, by formula, would also cost only 4,000 -- that's 4,000 for a +2 deflection bonus (ordinarily worth 8,000 by formula), a +2 save bonus to all three saves (ordinarily worth 4,000 each, by formula), and immunity to charm and mind control effects. At even a minimal blush, that's far too good for only 4,000, even discounting those calculations to the extent they apply only to "evil" attacks. That's a discussion for another thread. I only point it out here as a caution.

IthilanorStPete
2009-09-07, 11:12 PM
Q52
Can I wield a quarterstaff in one hand, and, say, a light mace in the other? I don't need to be able to attack with them, I just need to count as "wielding" them.

Q53
Do the [good] and [evil] descriptors on spells affect who can prepare/know them? Specifically, can a character know both a [good] and an [evil] spell at the same time?

Schism
2009-09-07, 11:21 PM
Q54

Say a wizard had both the Metamagic School Focus and Midnight Metamagic feats. Would he be allowed to use Metamagic School Focus before using Midnight Metamagic to prepare his spells, thus reducing the amount of essentia required by 1 point?

Curmudgeon
2009-09-08, 12:11 AM
Um, those two rules you quoted actually conflict one another on the very point Myou mentioned. I would argue that the Very Small Creature one is the "more specific" one (and therefore takes precedence) on the theory that most combat rules are written for the generic [medium] case and therefore that any rule specifically mentioning a size category is meant as an exception.
There's no conflict. Regardless of size, a creature cannot stay in an enemy's square unless that enemy is helpless. Very small creatures are allowed to go through a non-helpless enemy's square, but still there is no exception for them staying there.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-08, 12:19 AM
A 52 No.

If you can't attack with the weapon, you're not wielding it.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-08, 12:24 AM
A 53

Clerics, Paladins, and certain other divine casters are prevented from preparing spells of opposed alignments. Non-divine casters don't have such restrictions, nor do neutral Clerics.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-08, 01:01 AM
A 50
You wouldn't. As there is no such item already, your DM would first decide if you could make the item, and then what the price would be. The DM would start the price determination by comparing the desired function to similar items in the game. (Determining a price by the spell formula is pretty far down the list, and it's against the RAW to start there.) As there are no such items in the standard magic items list, you probably would be unable to buy one.

Karsh
2009-09-08, 01:09 AM
A 52 - Correction

On the contrary, a Quarterstaff may actually be wielded one-handed.

Quarterstaff

A quarterstaff is a double weapon. You can fight with it as if fighting with two weapons, but if you do, you incur all the normal attack penalties associated with fighting with two weapons, just as if you were using a one-handed weapon and a light weapon. A creature wielding a quarterstaff in one hand can’t use it as a double weapon—only one end of the weapon can be used in any given round.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-08, 02:29 AM
A 52 - Correction

On the contrary, a Quarterstaff may actually be wielded one-handed.
Ah, thanks for spotting my goof.

Divinech
2009-09-08, 02:40 AM
Q55

If I advance a Green Hag by 2 class levels, are the Green Hag's Caster Level and save DCs of her spell-like abilities increased?

Or more general: if I advance a monster with spell-like abilities by various class levels, does this advancement increase the CL and DCs of the monster's spell-like abilities?

Kylarra
2009-09-08, 02:49 AM
A55
No. The DCs may eventually increase because of stat bonuses, but the CL remains the same.

powerdemon
2009-09-08, 08:59 AM
There's no conflict. Regardless of size, a creature cannot stay in an enemy's square unless that enemy is helpless. Very small creatures are allowed to go through a non-helpless enemy's square, but still there is no exception for them staying there.

A Fine, Diminutive, or Tiny creature can move into or through an occupied square. The creature provokes attacks of opportunity when doing so.
What you quoted says they can though, and a tiny or smaller creature has to move into an enemy square just to attack. If they couldn't end in an enemy square, then they could never attack unless they had spring attack.

Random832
2009-09-08, 09:01 AM

The language "into or through" specifically allows them to stay in the square, which makes it a more specific exception.

Clerics, Paladins, and certain other divine casters are prevented from preparing spells of opposed alignments.

Q 56

Is the alignment of a spell determined when you prepare the spell, or when you cast it? For example, for a summoning or calling spell, do you have to choose what creature (or what type of creature) at the beginning of the day?

powerdemon
2009-09-08, 09:09 AM
Q 56

Is the alignment of a spell determined when you prepare the spell, or when you cast it? For example, for a summoning or calling spell, do you have to choose what creature (or what type of creature) at the beginning of the day?

A 56
No you make the decision when you cast the spell unless there are more specific versions of a spell (IE Protection from good/evil/law/etc).

Forbiddenwar
2009-09-08, 10:59 AM
Q57
How long does it take to load a long or short bow. A crossbow is a move action, which prevents a full round attack to use, right? Can someone full round attack with a long or short bow?

powerdemon
2009-09-08, 11:02 AM
Q57
How long does it take to load a long or short bow. A crossbow is a move action, which prevents a full round attack to use, right? Can someone full round attack with a long or short bow?

A 57
Loading a Shortbow or Longbow is included in the standard action it takes to shoot it. Yes you can make a full attack with either. You may also make a full attack with a repeating crossbow (Up to the 5 shots it has in a "clip"). You can full-attack with a Light or hand crossbow if you have the rapid reload feat.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-08, 04:11 PM
The language "into or through" specifically allows them to stay in the square, which makes it a more specific exception.
No, it still does not provide a exception for staying in the enemy's square. The exception is for moving through the square only. You still follow all other rules.
Sometimes a character ends its movement while moving through a space where it’s not allowed to stop. When that happens, put your miniature in the last legal position you occupied, or the closest legal position, if there’s a legal position that’s closer. So there are four options for a very small creature entering an enemy's square: They can move through without attacking.
They can use some special option like Spring Attack to move in, attack, and continue through.
They can move in, attack and render the enemy helpless, and stay.
They can move in, attack, and be automatically ejected as per the rules if they fail to render the enemy helpless.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-08, 04:17 PM
A 57 additional info
Ammunition

Projectile weapons use ammunition: arrows (for bows), bolts (for crossbows), or sling bullets (for slings). When using a bow, a character can draw ammunition as a free action; crossbows and slings require an action for reloading. The Rapid Reload feat and the quick loading magical enhancement (Magic Item Compendium, pages 41-42) can allow full attacks with crossbows. You can also drop an empty crossbow as a free action, and the Quick Draw feat can allow you to grab another loaded crossbow as another free action.

Stegyre
2009-09-08, 04:24 PM
A 57 additional info The Rapid Reload feat and the quick loading magical enhancement (Magic Item Compendium, pages 41-42) can allow full attacks with crossbows. You can also drop an empty crossbow as a free action, and the Quick Draw feat can allow you to grab another loaded crossbow as another free action.
Where is the ammunition quote from? It appears to contradict this, from the SRD:

Drawing ammunition for use with a ranged weapon (such as arrows, bolts, sling bullets, or shuriken) is a free action. Source (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#draworSheatheaWeapon)

Fax Celestis
2009-09-08, 04:37 PM
Q58 Is there a method to get shocking grasp onto a Hexblade's spell list?

Curmudgeon
2009-09-08, 04:40 PM
Where is the ammunition quote from? It appears to contradict this, from the SRD:
Source (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#draworSheatheaWeapon)
It's from the overview of weapons (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm) in the Equipment chapter.

There's no conflict. Drawing the ammunition (out of a quiver or whatever) is always a free action. It's just that reloading a bow (after you've already got the arrow) and drawing the string is a free action, but reloading a crossbow (after you've already got the bolt) is a more involved operation.

Thurbane
2009-09-08, 04:46 PM
A 058

Arguably the Extra Spell feat from Complete Arcane, although it's hotly debated whether this will allow a character to pick spells that do not appear on their class list. The class features of the Ultimate Magus PrC might also, IIRC...

Faleldir
2009-09-08, 05:34 PM
Q 59
Can you Bull Rush an opponent who is prone?

IthilanorStPete
2009-09-08, 06:22 PM
Q60
Can the Heighten Turning feat be used on the turn check for Divine Spell Power?

Q61
Does the Improved Turning feat have any effect on how much of a bonus I get from Divine Spell Power?

Curmudgeon
2009-09-08, 06:37 PM
A 59 Yes.

Being prone does not prevent being bull rushed, but it does make it harder because being in full contact with the ground makes you more stable.
... you and the defender make opposed Strength checks. ... The defender gets a +4 bonus if he has more than two legs or is otherwise exceptionally stable.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-08, 06:44 PM
A 60 Yes.

Divine Spell Power uses a turning check, and Heighten Turning modifies that turning check.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-08, 06:57 PM
A 61 Yes.

Improved Turning boosts your effective Cleric level for turn attempts. That doesn't affect the initial turn check, but the result of that check, in combination with your effective Cleric level (boosted by Improved Turning), will determine the damage done to undead by HD category, and Divine Spell Power uses the damage category to determine its boost to spellcasting.

Eloel
2009-09-09, 08:19 AM
Q62
Is there a way to improve a 10th level Warlock's dispel checks by 1 (or more) for 32000 gp? (To auto-dispel anyone of his level's spells with Arcane Mastery)

Claudius Maximus
2009-09-09, 08:35 AM
A 62 Partial

Anything that increases castrer level works to a point.

Soultouched Spellcasting from Magic of Incarnum adds to an insight bonus to dispel checks.

The Dispelling Cord from the Magic Item Compendium gives a competence bonus on dispel checks.

Eloel
2009-09-09, 08:43 AM
A 62 Partial

Soultouched Spellcasting from Magic of Incarnum adds to an insight bonus to dispel checks.

This works. Thanks.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2009-09-09, 09:27 AM
Q63: Do Share Pain and Forced Share Pain stack if manifested between the same two targets?

Eloel
2009-09-09, 09:31 AM
A63: Do Share Pain and Forced Share Pain stack if cast between the same two targets?
A63
Fix it to Q instead of A please. (yours is a question, not an answer)

And there is no reason they wouldn't stack.

Stegyre
2009-09-09, 11:45 AM
Q64
The feat Extra Familiar has no prerequisites. Does this mean that a character who lacks any wizard or sorceror classes (or other class qualification for a familiar) could take this feat and obtain a familiar?

(Side question: the source for this feat is Dragon #280. For we uninitiated, what is the rule on what's an official WotC source versus a third-party source, at least with regard to Dragon?)

Curmudgeon
2009-09-09, 11:58 AM
A 63
Questions should be prefixed with a Q, not an A.
You manifest psychic powers rather than cast them.
Share Pain and Forced Share Pain differ in the target's willingness and duration, but otherwise operate identically. Since both powers cause you to take half damage from attacks, their effects overlap rather than stack.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-09, 12:14 PM
A 64
Benefit: By taking this feat you get an additional animal familiar. This familiar can be the same type of animal as your first, or a different type.
Explicit prerequisites are not the only limitations on being able to benefit from a feat. You cannot have an additional familiar until you have at least one, and that new familiar cannot be of the same type as your first familiar until you have a first familiar. The feat provides no benefit unless you already have a familiar.

(Side question: the source for this feat is Dragon #280. For we uninitiated, what is the rule on what's an official WotC source versus a third-party source, at least with regard to Dragon?) If you'd looked at actual Dragon issues rather than just online synopses, you'd have the answer to this question. Dragon was not a WotC source (it was a Paizo Publishing product), but it was an official, WotC sanctioned D&D source. Covers of Dragon always included the D&D® logo:
http://true20.wikidot.com/local--files/d-d-conversion/dnd_logo-1.jpg
and a line like one of the following:

100% Official Content
YOUR 100% OFFICIAL DUNGEONS & DRAGONS® MAGAZINE

Boren
2009-09-09, 12:51 PM
Q 65 (I think)
Where are the rules for long term repeated charm and dominate effects?
Ex: casting charm person on someone 5 times a day for two months
:smallconfused:

PId6
2009-09-09, 12:56 PM
Q 66

Say I have a caster missing 2 CL and takes Practiced Spellcaster. But if I also have another source of CL boost, such as two Orange Ioun Stones, does Practiced Spellcaster apply before the other CL boosts or does it no longer take effect?

Eloel
2009-09-09, 01:00 PM
A66
It applies whatever way is more beneficial to the character.
So, say, a 8th level character with 6 levels of Wizard, Practiced Spellcaster, and 2 orange ioun stones would have CL9.

With feat, you have 8. Since stones don't stack, that's 9.

PId6
2009-09-09, 01:03 PM
Q 67

Orange Ioun Stones don't stack? Isn't it an untyped bonus?

Eloel
2009-09-09, 01:07 PM
A67
They're untyped bonuses from same source.

Jastermereel
2009-09-09, 01:59 PM
Q 68

Are there published stats for a bird swarm like a Murder of Crows or Ravens?

Fax Celestis
2009-09-09, 02:07 PM
Q 68

Are there published stats for a bird swarm like a Murder of Crows or Ravens?

A68 Murder of crows appears in the Tome of Magic, in the monsters of the Binding chapter.

Alternatively, apply the Swarm quasi-template (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#swarmSubtype) to a typical bird (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/hawk.htm).

Alejandro
2009-09-09, 02:56 PM
Q 69

Deflect Arrows. If I am reading this feat correctly, there's nothing that says it would not work on bullets. If a pirate fires a flintlock pistol at a Duelist with Deflect Arrows, does the Duelist, in fact, parry the bullet like a Jedi?

Curmudgeon
2009-09-09, 03:35 PM
A 69

I'm not sure "like a Jedi" applies, but the feat does let you deflect most ranged weapon attacks. The only limitations are:
Unusually massive ranged weapons and ranged attacks generated by spell effects can’t be deflected.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-09, 03:38 PM
A 65

There are no special long-term effects from repeated uses of spells like Charm Person.

Alejandro
2009-09-09, 04:02 PM
A 69

I'm not sure "like a Jedi" applies, but the feat does let you deflect most ranged weapon attacks. The only limitations are:

Thank you!

I just meant "like a Jedi" in that a Jedi can deflect an incoming blaster bolt off the blade of their lightsaber.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-09, 04:56 PM
I just meant "like a Jedi" in that a Jedi can deflect an incoming blaster bolt off the blade of their lightsaber.
And Deflect Arrows requires using a free hand, which is distinctly unlike a Jedi.

Stegyre
2009-09-09, 05:07 PM
And Deflect Arrows requires using a free hand, which is distinctly unlike a Jedi.
Vader did it. Maybe he meant "Sith Lord." It's a common mistake. :smallbiggrin:

Alejandro
2009-09-09, 06:27 PM

I guess that's true. I, and my GM, have always thought that the Duelist has become such a blade master, and has such crazy reflexes, that they can actually strike an incoming arrow, bolt, bullet, etc with their rapier (or whatever) and bat it aside. But, since a Duelist usually has their other hand empty, I suppose they could be using that hand to do the same thing.

However, that's not nearly as cool.

Forbiddenwar
2009-09-09, 06:31 PM
Q70

Where are stats on dart guns?

Q71
What about sleeping poison?

Tavar
2009-09-09, 06:48 PM
A 71
In the DMG, under the poisons section, there's Drow knockout poison(also available here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#poison)).

Obahai
2009-09-09, 07:42 PM
Q 72

Which book has the stats for a bone golem and does the corpse crafter feat (libris mortis) apply to the creation of said golem

Obahai
2009-09-09, 08:33 PM
Q70

Where are stats on dart guns?

Q71
What about sleeping poison?

dunno if this helps, but why not use a hand crossbow with pre poisoned bolts or a blow gun?

Curmudgeon
2009-09-09, 08:54 PM
A 72

You'll find the bone golem in Denizens of Darkness (a Ravenloft book) on pages 67-69. As all golems are constructs, and Corpsecrafter only affects undead, there is no benefit to bone golems.

blazinghand
2009-09-10, 02:22 AM
A 70

Blowguns and which fire darts usually carrying poison can be found in the Complete Warrior.

BWM
2009-09-10, 07:46 AM
Q 73

One of my players gets a bonus to attack after he has tumbled. He was wondering if he could tumble and fly in one move action.

Or if he could fly tumbling

Or something close to that

Stegyre
2009-09-10, 08:53 AM
A 73
I don't see why not: "tumbling" is not an action in itself, "Tumbling is part of movement, so a Tumble check is part of a move action." Flight is a form of movement.

Tumble could certainly be used by a flying character to avoid AoOs or (when the ceiling is low) to move through an enemy's space, which are RAW uses of tumbling.

BWM
2009-09-10, 08:55 AM
A 73
I don't see why not: "tumbling" is not an action in itself, "Tumbling is part of movement, so a Tumble check is part of a move action." Flight is a form of movement.

Tumble could certainly be used by a flying character to avoid AoOs or (when the ceiling is low) to move through an enemy's space, which are RAW uses of tumbling.

Guess you're right, but it sounds so silly.

Stegyre
2009-09-10, 09:19 AM
Guess you're right, but it sounds so silly.
Not at all. "Tumbling" is not necessarily limited to rolling around on the ground. Even earth-bound, humanoid gymnasts are capable of aerial acrobatics. Just watch most floor routines and any high-bar routine (especially dismounts, but also releases).

Eloel
2009-09-10, 10:08 AM
Q74
How would Blink apply against Swarm attacks?

Curmudgeon
2009-09-10, 11:12 AM
A 74

Blink would work poorly against swarms. Blink imposes a 50% miss chance to enemy attack rolls, but swarms don't make attack rolls; they hit automatically. Yet the spell also imposes a 20% miss chance to the character targeted by the spell, and a 3/4 movement limit, and these would apply as usual.

Greater Blink, in contrast, would benefit against swarms, if the character made sure to stay on the Ethereal plane while moving through the swarm area.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-10, 11:19 AM
A 73 additional info

Note that the usual rules for both the Tumble skill and aerial movement still apply. Low DC Tumble checks are for movement at ½ speed. If you have worse than good aerial maneuverability, flying less than ½ your movement rate will cause you to stall.

Yora
2009-09-10, 02:24 PM
Q75

If a psionic power list two options under the rules for augmentation, and says that you can apply either or both of them:
Do you get both affects for every additional power points, or do you have to split the additional power points between them?

Eloel
2009-09-10, 02:29 PM
Q75

If a psionic power list two options under the rules for augmentation, and says that you can apply either or both of them:
Do you get both affects for every additional power points, or do you have to split the additional power points between them?
A75
You need to spend seperate PP for powers like Expansion (different options), but it's automatic for some (like Energy Missile).

Yora
2009-09-10, 03:21 PM
cont. 75

But energy missile list only one option, and Expension says "If you spend 6 points".

What about powers that say "For every 2 additional power points..." more than once?

For example Empathy:

1. For every additional power point you spend, this power’s range and the radius of its area increases by 5 feet.

2. If you spend 2 additional power points, this power’s maximum duration increases to 1 hour/level.
Are the 2 additional power points to extend the duration included in the "for every additional power point" to increase the range?

Stegyre
2009-09-10, 03:36 PM
A 75 cont.
You pay for each augmentation separately unless the description specifically states otherwise.

They are rare, and I cannot immediately lay my hands on an example, but there are some power descriptions where extra power points will simultaneously produce more than one augmentation.

Douglas
2009-09-10, 04:35 PM
A75

Unless specifically stated otherwise, each augmentation option must be paid for separately. By far the most common exception is save DC scaling, which is typically +1 DC per 2 power points of total augmentation as a free side effect of all other augmentation options.

Thurbane
2009-09-10, 06:10 PM
Q 076

Are there any templates that change a humanoid to a monstrous humanoid? The lower the CR and LA, the better...

Curmudgeon
2009-09-10, 07:09 PM
A 76

Assuming you're asking about an acquired template ("that change") that can be used by player character races (LA), I think the answer is no.

Thylornas
2009-09-10, 09:23 PM
Q 78

Are there any items that change a characters alignment to any of the extreme alignments (anything without a neutral in it)?

Curmudgeon
2009-09-10, 09:42 PM
A 78

If the wearer is already of an extreme alignment, or pure neutral, a Helm of Opposite Aligment (Dungeon Master's Guide, page 275) on a failed save will make their alignment the opposite extreme (or a random extreme if pure neutral).

Thurbane
2009-09-10, 09:44 PM
Q 079 (78?)

If a character gets to re-roll a save vs. a mind affecting ability via the Protected Destiny feat (or another means that allows a reroll, such as the Luck Domain), but he also has the Indomitable Soul feat, does he reroll one dice, or two?

A 76

Assuming you're asking about an acquired template ("that change") that can be used by player character races (LA), I think the answer is no.
Sorry, that was poorly worded. It can be an inherited template - it's for a NPC enounter.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-10, 10:03 PM
A 76 (2nd attempt)
Sorry, that was poorly worded. It can be an inherited template - it's for a NPC enounter.
A Tauric Creature (Monster Manual II, page 216) is a weird LA +3 template that merges two creatures (humanoids and/or monstrous humanoids) with a monstrous humanoid result.

A Thoon-Thrall (Monster Manual V, page 111) is what you get when a humanoid is taken over by a Thoon. It's not suitable for a playable character, so no LA.

However, the only template that would likely suit your needs is Feral (Savage Species, pages 116-117), which is LA +1.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-10, 10:15 PM
A 79

Indomitable Soul lets you roll 2d20 and use the higher result. Assuming you roll 2 1s, the answer would depend on the particular saving throw reroll ability. Protected Destiny only allows one reroll per day, so that's the answer for that feat. The Clerical Pride domain allows a reroll of any 1 on a saving throw, once per die rolled, so that would allow rerolling both dice. The Dumb Luck feat requires an immediate action and only allows one "reroll" per day, but you can treat that one result as a natural 20. The Survivor's Luck feat requires an immediate action for a reroll of any failed saving throw.

Elfin
2009-09-10, 11:22 PM
Q80:
Does a magically enhanced constitution score also grant hitpoints, or do you only get hitpoints from your base score?

Kosjsjach
2009-09-10, 11:44 PM
Q80:
Does a magically enhanced constitution score also grant hitpoints, or do you only get hitpoints from your base score?

A 80
For every +1 increase to your Constitution modifier, you gain hit points equal to your character level.
Similarly, poison or any other penalty to your Constitution score decreases your hit points by the corresponding amount.

SethFahad
2009-09-11, 06:15 AM
Q81

I have a question about poisons.

The rule says: One dose of poison can be smeared on a single weapon.

a) What about bolts and arrows??? 1dose = 1 arrow or 1dose = 1< arrows
b) What about shuriken?

Is there an official rule about this?

If not, please give me a reasonable houserule.

Thank you.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-11, 06:45 AM
A 81

One dose of poison is only good for an attack against a single target, so a dose will only cover one blade, arrow, shuriken, or whatever.
One dose of poison smeared on a weapon or some other object affects just a single target.

The White Knight
2009-09-11, 07:53 AM
Q82

A player in my group brought an interesting argument to the table this past weekend. The DMG states on page 216-217 that "Magic armor bonuses are enhancement bonuses, never rise above +5, and stack with regular armor bonuses (and with shield and magic shield enhancement bonuses). He pointed out that this should mean that wearing +5 padded armor with +8 bracers of armor would result in a +13 to your armor class with a max Dex bonus of +8, since the enhancement bonus on the padded armor would stack with the ordinary armor bonus of the bracers (which override the ordinary armor bonus of the padded armor, being higher). While a bit wonky, it seemed relatively RAW to me.

So my question: does anyone knows of any passages that refute this, or is this totally legit?

Eloel
2009-09-11, 07:59 AM
A82
The +5 armor in question doesn't provide 2 different armor bonuses. +5 is not an enhancement bonus to your AC, it's an enhancement bonus to your Armor, increasing its Armor Bonus to AC by 5.
So, a +5 Leather Armor grants +7 Armor Bonus to AC, not a +2 and a +5. A +8 Bracers of Armor worn along with the armor would total out a +8 bonus to AC from Armor.

tl;dr
They overlap, only the highest item counts.

Another look on the issue;
There are 3 types of bonus to Armor Bonus of AC.
Regular Armor Bonus
Magic Armor Bonus
Enhancement Bonus

The first 2 stack with each other, the 3rd one doesn't stack with either.

Ossian
2009-09-11, 11:29 AM
Q 83

From d20 SRD:

Multiple Grapplers
Several combatants can be in a single grapple. Up to four combatants can grapple a single opponent in a given round. Creatures that are one or more size categories smaller than you count for half, creatures that are one size category larger than you count double, and creatures two or more size categories larger count quadruple.

When you are grappling with multiple opponents, you choose one opponent to make an opposed check against. The exception is an attempt to escape from the grapple; to successfully escape, your grapple check must beat the check results of each opponent.

This is really unclear! How do I play a grapple in which 2 to 4 people are wrestling with one person? From these rules it seems as if the number of opponents didn't count and one can grapple against 1 or 4 opponents with the exact same chances. Plus, do two medium people count as 1 large etc...?

TheCountAlucard
2009-09-11, 01:31 PM
Q 84

a) Is Acid Fog usable with a greater metamagic rod of fell animate?

b) What about Greater Consumptive Field?

Curmudgeon
2009-09-11, 01:47 PM
A 84 No.

There are no metamagic rods of Fell Animate. Not every metamagic feat is implemented as a rod, and I find no support for such an item in the rules.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-11, 02:23 PM
A 82

While armor bonus and enhancement bonus are different bonus types, and therefore should usually stack, the specific wording of enhancement bonus makes this a little tricky.
Stacking

In most cases, modifiers to a given check or roll stack (combine for a cumulative effect) if they come from different sources and have different types (or no type at all) ...

Enhancement Bonus

An enhancement bonus represents an increase in the sturdiness and/or effectiveness of armor or natural armor, or the effectiveness of a weapon, or a general bonus to an ability score. Multiple enhancement bonuses on the same object (in the case of armor and weapons), creature (in the case of natural armor), or ability score do not stack. Only the highest enhancement bonus applies. Since enhancement bonuses to armor or natural armor effectively increase the armor or natural armor's bonus to AC, they don't apply against touch attacks. It's clear from the reference to "the armor" being enhanced that they didn't think about an armor bonus being separate from physical armor. The FAQ author treated "effectively" as if it were "literally" and extended the rules beyond what was written.
I have a bard in my game who has a bit of money to spend. She buys a set of bracers of armor +3 and a suit of +3 leather armor. If the bard wears both at the same time, the armor bonus from the bracers (+3) overrides the armor bonus from the leather armor (+1). Our question is, does the +3 enhancement bonus from the armor still get applied for a total of +6, is it subsumed by the magic of the bracers, or is it just ignored completely? Since the enhancement bonus and armor bonus are different types of bonuses, the bard thinks her total Armor Class bonus should be +6.

The magic leather armor’s +3 enhancement bonus applies to make the armor’s armor bonus bigger (+4 in this case). The example character uses only the larger armor bonus (+4) when wearing both the armor and the bracers.

The overlapping +3 bonus from the bracers is still there, however. (It is just irrelevant most of the time.) If something bypasses the +4 bonus from the magic armor, the bracers might still prove effective. For example, an incorporeal touch attack bypasses the whole armor bonus from the magic armor. Since the bracers provide a force effect, they protect the bard against the incorporeal touch attack. The example character still has a +3 armor bonus against the incorporeal touch attack. However, by RAW I'd have to agree with your player.
Armor Bonus

An armor bonus applies to Armor Class and is granted by armor or by a spell or magical effect that mimics armor. Armor bonuses stack with all other bonuses to Armor Class (even with natural armor bonuses) except other armor bonuses. There's no exception made for enhancement bonuses here. "The magic leather armor’s +3 enhancement bonus applies to make the armor’s armor bonus bigger" is just wrong. Armor bonuses and enhancement bonuses are different modifier types. An enhancement bonus to armor makes the total AC bigger, but remains independent of the armor bonus. While the FAQ author's answer is perhaps a reasonable approach for game balance, it doesn't accord with the written rules.

There are 3 types of bonus to Armor Bonus of AC.
Regular Armor Bonus
Magic Armor Bonus
Enhancement Bonus
This isn't right. As The White Knight quoted from the rules, your "Magic Armor Bonus" is an enhancement bonus. There are only armor bonuses and enhancement bonuses to armor. The fact that armor bonuses can be had in both nonmagical and magical varieties is (most of the time) irrelevant.

Forbiddenwar
2009-09-11, 02:26 PM
Q85
someone mentioned to me of a piece of equipment that changes a 5' step into a 10' adjustment. what was it called? what book and what page?

Curmudgeon
2009-09-11, 02:32 PM
A 85

There are various ways of being able to make either a 10' adjustment or two 5' adjustments in place of the usual 5' step, but I know of only two that involve equipment. A Sparring Dummy of the Master (Arms and Equipment Guide, page 137) will let a Monk train to be able to make 10' adjustments. (Alternatively, you could make the device work without Monk levels by making 224 consecutive DC 21 Use Magic Device checks without any failures.) Cyran Gliding Boots (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20061120a) allow making a 10' adjustment in place of the usual 5' adjustment, 3 times daily.

Forbiddenwar
2009-09-11, 02:43 PM
A 85

There are various ways of being able to make either a 10' adjustment or two 5' adjustments in place of the usual 5' step

Q86

besides equipment, what other ways a character can make a 10' adjustment instead of a 5' foot step?

Q87
Are 10' adjustments just like 5' steps (free action, doesn't provoke a AoO)?

Curmudgeon
2009-09-11, 02:52 PM
A 86

Check out Person_Man's thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358). It mixes in some other things, like pounce, but you should be able to sort out the movement bits.

A 87

Actually, 5' adjustments are not an action, rather than free actions. But generally the 10' adjustments are in the same category. Some options that allow more movement, like Travel Devotion, have different mechanics.

Demons_eye
2009-09-11, 11:27 PM
Q:88 Where can I find level 0 spells for Duskblades? And more spells for them then just in the PH2?

Curmudgeon
2009-09-12, 12:46 AM
A 88

Page 24 of Players Handbook II. I don't know of any other source for Duskblade spells.

lsfreak
2009-09-12, 01:57 AM
Q89
Where is it explicitly stated that you can take cross-class skills in skills that cannot be used untrained? My group is under the impression that if a skill is both cross-class and untrained, the class cannot ever take ranks in that skill (due to the belief "untrained" meaning your class doesn't allow training). Or is it me that has it confused (which I don't think, considering UMD on wizards/monks/whatever in the forums)?

Curmudgeon
2009-09-12, 02:08 AM
A 89

Player's Handbook, page 61 (Skills chapter). 3rd paragraph under "Skills Summary":
If you buy a class skill (such as Listen for a rogue or Spellcraft for a cleric), your character gets 1 rank (equal to a +1 bonus on checks with that skill) for each skill point. If you buy other classes’ skills (cross-class skills), you get 1/2 rank per skill point. Your maximum rank in a class skill is your character level + 3. Your maximum rank in a cross-class skill is one-half of this number (do not round up or down). There's no special treatment for skills that are "trained only", so anyone can acquire ranks in them.
A skill check takes into account a character’s training (skill rank), natural talent (ability modifier), and luck (the die roll).

Divinech
2009-09-12, 02:55 AM
Q90

A Tendriculos has Regeneration 10, but bludgeoning weapons and acid deal normal damage. Now when you are swallowed whole by the creature you must cut yourself a hole with a slashing or piercing weapons (dealing a total of 25 damage).
Does Regenerate heal this damage inside the plant's mass too? If so, that would make it quite hard to escape :smallconfused:

Curmudgeon
2009-09-12, 04:02 AM
A 90

A Tendriculos (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/tendriculos.htm) does indeed require a slashing or piercing weapon to deal 25 points of damage to its interior to make a hole sufficient for escape, and it also has regeneration 10 for this type of damage. However, a swallowed creature can make full attacks, and the regeneration is per round, not per attack.

KillianHawkeye
2009-09-12, 08:10 AM
Q89
Where is it explicitly stated that you can take cross-class skills in skills that cannot be used untrained? My group is under the impression that if a skill is both cross-class and untrained, the class cannot ever take ranks in that skill (due to the belief "untrained" meaning your class doesn't allow training). Or is it me that has it confused (which I don't think, considering UMD on wizards/monks/whatever in the forums)?

A 89 additional

Just to clarify, you are untrained in a skill if you don't have any ranks in it. Certain skills cannot be used unless you have at least 1 skill rank. That is all. It in no way prevents you from investing skill points, nor does it have anything to do with whether or not the skill is "in class".

Jastermereel
2009-09-12, 10:55 AM
Q 91

In Dragon Magazine 328, on the topic of Saurian Shifters there seems to be a contradiction on the number of starting shifter traits. On page 62 it says: "Each saurian shifter has one of the following shifter traits--characteristics that manifest themselves when a character is shifting." but on page 63, just before listing the traits, it says "Each saurian shifter receives two of the following special traits, which are selected when the character is created and cannot be changed thereafter."

So which is it? One trait or two?

P.S. Not RAW, but what happened to the thread's sticky status?

Curmudgeon
2009-09-12, 02:13 PM
A 91

Since the line on page 62 ("Each saurian shifter has one of the following shifter traits") isn't followed immediately by a list of shifter traits, but the similar line on page 63 is, I'd treat the latter line as the correct one, so two shifter traits.

Lord of Syntax
2009-09-12, 03:09 PM
Q 92
Does the monk's Wis to AC replace the normal Dex to AC?

powerdemon
2009-09-12, 03:17 PM
Q 92
Does the monk's Wis to AC replace the normal Dex to AC?

A 92
It is in addition to the DEX bonus.

It does not explicitly say that it doesn't, but it also doesn't mention that it replaces it.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-12, 04:19 PM
A 92 additional info

The Monk's AC Bonus is a named Extraordinary special ability. The boost to AC from Dexterity is normal, not Extraordinary.
Armor Class

Your Armor Class (AC) represents how hard it is for opponents to land a solid, damaging blow on you. It’s the attack roll result that an opponent needs to achieve to hit you. Your AC is equal to the following:

10 + armor bonus + shield bonus + Dexterity modifier + size modifierArmor Class is the defending part of of the basic attack roll equation. According to the stacking rules, different AC modifier types stack just fine.
Stacking

In most cases, modifiers to a given check or roll stack (combine for a cumulative effect) if they come from different sources and have different types (or no type at all)

Kosjsjach
2009-09-13, 01:56 AM
Q 53 (3.5)

Does a character get bonus power points based on their manifester level and ability score from multiple classes?

For example, let's say there's a character with 2 levels of Psychic Warrior and 1 level of War Mind. His Wis score is 14. His Psychic Warrior manifester level is 2, so according to this rule (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/index.htm#howToDetermineBonusPowerPoints) he gains an extra 2 power points.
He also has a War Mind manifester level of 1. Does this grant him another 1 power point from the same rule?

Sorry if my question comes off a bit convoluted.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-13, 02:09 AM
A 53 Yes.

You compute bonus power points separately for each manifester class, though all power points are in a single pool for each character.

sofawall
2009-09-13, 08:40 PM
Q94: Do you need Line of Effect to summon a creature with SNA? Do you need Line of Sight?

Curmudgeon
2009-09-13, 10:42 PM
A 94

You don't need line of sight, but you do need line of effect to the square where you wish the creature to appear.
You must have a clear line of effect to any target that you cast a spell on or to any space in which you wish to create an effect. You must have a clear line of effect to the point of origin of any spell you cast.
This spell summons a natural creature. It appears where you designate and acts immediately, on your turn.

Claudius Maximus
2009-09-13, 11:08 PM
Q 95

Does Spell Turning reflect ray spells? What about touch spells with Reach spell applied to them?

Boren
2009-09-13, 11:15 PM
Ok I think my first question was too narrow so here goes again....
Q 96
I'm looking for rules regarding brainwashing someone I know I saw these in an 'official' D&D publication somewhere but I can't recall where.

In case it helps anyone remember a bit of what I recall about the rules:
You start by keeping the subject charmed/dominated for an extended amount of time. During that time you make a series of diplomacy and or intimidate and or bluff checks.
After a time span (assuming your checks worked) the subject starts to take penalties to there saving throws to resist your charm/dominates and to there opposed checks also the spells are considered to have a longer duration on that subject.
Eventually the subject breaks acts charmed/dominated even when the spell is not in effect however if not subject to occasional castings the subject may start to recover.
Finally the effect becomes so ingrained in the subject that no amount of time or natural posses can restore them and only spells such as greater restoration, wish etc can free them at this point.
Anyway i hope someone can recall were to find this I can't for the life of me
Thanks for the help.

Boren
2009-09-13, 11:17 PM
A95
Yes and Yes
Any targeted spell that is not delivered as a touch is subject to spell reflection