PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A (by RAW) 4e/Other Systems I

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Roland St. Jude
2009-08-31, 08:03 PM
(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written). This thread is for all simple RAW questions about D&D 4e.

If your question is about D&D 3.5, ask it here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6837320)
If your question is about real world weapons and armor ask it here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11941948#post11941948).
If your question is about homebrew rulings start a thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew).
If you are looking for the meaning of an acronym or abbreviation look here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1121064702 ;start=0#0).

The Procedure:

Do:
Label your questions with bold Q#s.
Note what game/edition you are asking about
Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
Answer a question that’s already been answered.
Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
Post to debate the answers given.
Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
What is the best class? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
What +2 LA race should I take for my sorcerer build? (Again, an opinion question)
Which is better GURPS or D&D?

{The first several versions of this thread seemed to run pretty efficiently, but if you have any comments about how this thread could be improved please PM me.}

Please start over with the numbering. Thanks.

Vazzaroth
2009-09-02, 05:14 AM
((Slightly confused by lack of replies here, I've been off of these forums for awhile...))

Q. 1?

In DnD 4th Ed., when the PCs roll a high enough monster knowledge check to gain knowledge of powers, how much info are we supposed to give them? Just names, or full effects? Is this a strictly "DM call" gray area?

Q. 2

Is line of sight required for targeted effects (I.E. Not blast/bursts.) For instance, an ally within a thick fog is within range for you to affect him, but you can't see him, therefor your character wouldn't know his exact location. Will the power still work?

Q. 3

Do skill challenges (called encounters in the books, I believe) count towards milestones? IE Would a fight and a skill challenge would be one milestone?

Mauril Everleaf
2009-09-02, 07:03 AM
The QA Threads were temporarily merged, then split again after some voting. It was agreed to have one DnD 3.5 thread and one 4e/Everything Else thread. It seems that they were right and there are much fewer "4e/Everything Else" questions.

A 1
By RAW, you should give them all them the ranges, various keywords and special effects related to each attack. You don't need to read them the stat block, but you should give the players enough information to know how the power works.

A 2
Unless line of sight is specially stated as not needed for a power, then it is needed. So no, you cannot use a power on an ally (or enemy) that you cannot see unless it is otherwise stated that you can.

A 3
Quite simply, yes. They are an encounter and milestones are based on encounters, not combats. This, I am pretty sure, is intentional as Skill Challenges are meant to keep 4e from being hack-n-slash only (at least as far as experience points go).

Hzurr
2009-09-02, 01:49 PM
A1 - Corollary

I don't have the books in front of my, but I don't exactly remember the ability to make knowledge checks to know about the powers of a monster. However, beside each entry in the Monster Manual, there's a list of skill check DCs, and what the PCs find out about monsters by making these checks.

Mando Knight
2009-09-02, 03:04 PM
A 2
Unless line of sight is specially stated as not needed for a power, then it is needed. So no, you cannot use a power on an ally (or enemy) that you cannot see unless it is otherwise stated that you can.

A2, Correction
If you lack line of sight, you might not lack line of effect. What is required is line of effect, either to the emanation point of a burst power, or to the target of a single-attack power. If you lack line of sight, you simply cannot see the target, and it is considered invisible to you (grant Combat Advantage, target has Total Concealment against you, and unless you pass a Perception check against the target's Stealth check, you do not know which square the target is in, though it is still totally concealed even if you pass the Perception check). Some powers may require you to be able to see the target, however.

Arakune
2009-09-03, 03:06 PM
4th edition

Q 4
How does regular two weapon fighting in the 4th edition works? Not power related, but if someone just wanted to grab two weapons and go to town.

I'm having a little problem with this rule. It may be an opinion question, but how much the RAW is clear on this topic? Where I can find some good opinions on this topic regarding RAW?

Gralamin
2009-09-03, 03:17 PM
4th edition

Q 4
How does regular two weapon fighting in the 4th edition works? Not power related, but if someone just wanted to grab two weapons and go to town.

I'm having a little problem with this rule. It may be an opinion question, but how much the RAW is clear on this topic? Where I can find some good opinions on this topic regarding RAW?

A 4
By RAW, you need a power that gives two-attacks to get any real benefit from two weapon fighting (Besides the damage bonus from the feat of the same name).

Arakune
2009-09-03, 03:23 PM
A 4
By RAW, you need a power that gives two-attacks to get any real benefit from two weapon fighting (Besides the damage bonus from the feat of the same name).

Q 4 clarification
Not exactly using both weapons at same time, but using either one at a given time. Technically I can only use a weapon in my off-hand if said weapon have the off-hand penalty, but there is room for discution.

Mauril Everleaf
2009-09-03, 06:33 PM
Q 4 clarification
Not exactly using both weapons at same time, but using either one at a given time. Technically I can only use a weapon in my off-hand if said weapon have the off-hand penalty, but there is room for discution.

Unless a power states that it requires the main-hand weapon or the off-hand weapon, either weapon can be used without penalty on an attack. Keep in mind that, unless you have a feat or ability that states otherwise, you can only use weapons with the "off-hand" property in the off hand.

There is no penalty for attacking with the off-hand weapon, but you may not wield an additional weapon for additional attacks (even at a penalty).

Arakune
2009-09-04, 07:46 AM
Unless a power states that it requires the main-hand weapon or the off-hand weapon, either weapon can be used without penalty on an attack. Keep in mind that, unless you have a feat or ability that states otherwise, you can only use weapons with the "off-hand" property in the off hand.

There is no penalty for attacking with the off-hand weapon, but you may not wield an additional weapon for additional attacks (even at a penalty).

Thanks for the help.

I will make a new thread for the more subjective aspects of this question, though.

Dekkah
2009-09-04, 08:37 AM
Q - 5 DND 4
Is there an official errata on bloodclaw weapons? Is the dmg added from it untyped or item bonus?
I ask because it can make a defender as good on dmg as a striker (or nearly as good).

Mauril Everleaf
2009-09-04, 09:17 AM
A 5
The weapon currently remains un-errata'd, so the damage would be untyped.

Mando Knight
2009-09-04, 10:28 AM
I ask because it can make a defender as good on dmg as a striker (or nearly as good).

See also: Pit Fighter or Bugbear double-sword Shock Trooper.

Hzurr
2009-09-09, 09:35 AM
Q6 - DnD 4E

In the character builder, one of the available weapons is "Battlefist" a +3 proficiency, 1d8 damage weapon. Descriptive text says it's part of the mace group. It's listed as an "Improvised Melee Weapon" group (as opposed to military melee, simple melee, etc) How does one gain proficiency with "improvised melee weapons," or would a specific feat need to be taken for Battlefist proficiency?

----------Edit: Just found the answer in another thread. Though I'd go ahead and post it for everyone--------------

A6

Only Self-Forged (the Paragon Path) can have battlefists. And only non-warforged can be self-forged.

Warclam
2009-09-10, 07:55 PM
Q7 - DnD 4E

Are there any playable races light enough to pick up with mage hand? I'm pretty sure not, since the lightest I found is the goblin at 40lb, but I just like the image of a tiny wizard transporting himself with a disembodied hand.

Mando Knight
2009-09-10, 10:11 PM
A7 No. However, Tenser's Floating Disk lets you float around a few feet from the ground for a per-day cost.

The reason why Mage Hand won't be able to pick up any PCs is simple: Once you allow that, you have at-will flight at 1st level. Which is a no-go for D&D.

Urist Ironblood
2009-09-11, 01:16 PM
Q8 - D&D 4th ed.

How does the Eladrin racial resistance to Charm effects manifest in combat against monster abilities/powers with the Charm keyword?

I ruled on the fly that the player (running an Eladrin character) had to make an immediate saving throw at +5 to avoid the invisibility effects of Eyebite. She failed the save and so the warlock became invisible to her. Did I screw it up?

Sipex
2009-09-11, 01:37 PM
In regards to Q8, does anyone have the exact wording for the resistance? I don't have my books near me but seeing the wording I'd be able to tell you.

Mando Knight
2009-09-11, 02:05 PM
Q8 - D&D 4th ed.

How does the Eladrin racial resistance to Charm effects manifest in combat against monster abilities/powers with the Charm keyword?

I ruled on the fly that the player (running an Eladrin character) had to make an immediate saving throw at +5 to avoid the invisibility effects of Eyebite. She failed the save and so the warlock became invisible to her. Did I screw it up?

A8
Yeah... you messed it up. The bonus to saving throws against a power with a keyword (such as Charm, Poison, etc.) only applies if the character is allowed a saving throw against the ongoing effects of the attack. It doesn't grant a saving throw unless it specifically states that it does. Eyebite offers no saving throw (it ends at the start of the user's next turn anyway).

The same thing goes with the Dwarf +5 bonus to saving throws against poison: If the poison slows until the end of the Dwarf's next turn, the Dwarf doesn't get to use his shiny bonus. However, if the poison deals 5 ongoing poison damage (save ends), then at the end of his turn, the Dwarf gets to roll a saving throw with a +5 bonus to get rid of that ongoing damage.

The_If
2009-09-12, 11:42 PM
Q9
Thunder weapon (Martial Power, p140) says that effects dealt by hammers/maces get a -2 to saving throws, Cunning Weapon(Adventurers Vault, p67) gives the same effect.

Are these effects cumulative?
Anything else I should look into for a Save-Ends Never End character?

Mando Knight
2009-09-12, 11:45 PM
Q9
Thunder weapon (Martial Power, p140) says that effects dealt by hammers/maces get a -2 to saving throws, Cunning Weapon(Adventurers Vault, p67) gives the same effect.

Are these effects cumulative?
Anything else I should look into for a Save-Ends Never End character?

A9 Yes, they do stack.

However, the only known way to make a true "Never Save, Die" character in 4E, IIRC, is to use the Orb of Imposition Wizard class feature with the Orb of Ultimate Imposition. Deva is the preferred race for this...

Eirikr
2009-09-21, 12:31 AM
Q10(DnD4e)
When a monster with a reach 2 grab attack (like Gricks or Grells) successfully grabs someone, does that attack automatically pull the grabbed character adjacent to them, or does the monster need to do that seperately?

Q11(also DnD4e)
Would a flyer be able to fly while carrying his/her heavy load? Like say, a Grell carrying off the wizard at an admittedly slowed pace but it's still scary because oh crap, they're over a ravine now.

edit: just remembered another question I wanted to ask:

Q12(DnD4e)
Is it possible to take 10 on a Stealth check? Not during battle, obviously, but if a character/monster is taking time to get into a hiding spot.

Warclam
2009-09-23, 10:58 AM
Q13 [D&D4E]
The Swordmage at-will power Luring Strike, from Arcane Power, says "You shift 1 square and slide the target 1 square into the space you occupied." Are you able to use this power to directly swap places with the target, or do you have to make your shift first while they're still standing in their original position?

Mauril Everleaf
2009-09-23, 06:03 PM
A 10 Unless the ability states otherwise, no the grabbed creature is not pulled.
A 11 Simply, yes.
A 12 By RAW, no. But as a DM, I wouldn't consider this unreasonable in certain situations, especially if the character is traveling a long distance out of combat.
A 13 Because the wording requires that you shift first and then slide the target into the space you vacated, you cannot simply switch place by RAW since you cannot enter a space currently occupied by another creature. Powers which allow you to switch positions with another character almost always explicitly state that you can do so. This, for whatever reason, is not one of those powers.

Faleldir
2009-09-28, 04:25 PM
Q 14
If I use Heavy Blade Opportunity with Twin Strike, do I have to be wielding two heavy blades?

Gralamin
2009-09-28, 04:34 PM
Q 14
If I use Heavy Blade Opportunity with Twin Strike, do I have to be wielding two heavy blades?

A 14 No. But you must be wielding a Heavy blade and another weapon.

Hzurr
2009-10-06, 01:15 PM
Q.15 (4E dnd)

When moving through a wall (say wall of fire, or wall of thorns), do you take damage for every square you pass through, or just when you first enter it? For example:

| |
|f|
|f|
|f|
|X|
|f|
|f|
|f|
| |

In the above diagram, if you (X) were in a hallway that had been filled with a wall of fire(f), and you tried to move to an open space at either the top of the hallway, or the bottom, would you take the damage once, or would you take the damage each time you entered into a new square? (i.e., take the damage 3 times as you tried to move to the empty space)

The question really seems to go to the working. The wording of most of these says that you take damage when you enter into the Wall's space. Is that the same thing as entering the wall's square?

josh13905
2009-10-15, 07:25 PM
Q16 D20 Modern

In d20 Modern can you full attack with a gun with single rate of fire, like a shotgun, or a sniper rifle.

Also if it's not too much trouble can I get a link to a place where it says it.

Grynning
2009-10-15, 09:42 PM
A 16

Yes you can. Making a full attack is making multiple single attacks. It's just like full attacking with a bow in D&D. The firearms rules don't spell it out, but this is the relevant text:

Firearms

The most basic form of attack with a firearm is a single shot. One attack is one pull of the trigger and fires one bullet at one target.

Linky (http://www.d20resources.com/modern.d20.srd/combat/firearms.php)

Q 17 Star Wars: Saga Edition

How exactly does escaping grabs and pins work? Escaping a grab seems simple enough - just take a standard action and you automatically succeed at clearing 1 grabber, as far as I can tell. However, escaping from someone with the Pin feat seems completely impossible, as you can't take any actions while Pinned (until the grabber's next turn, when...they Pin you again).

Faleldir
2009-10-19, 07:43 AM
Q 18
Where can I find stats for mithral chainmail in 4e?

Gralamin
2009-10-19, 07:58 AM
A 17
That would be correct, as far as I can see.

A 18
Mithral Armor is in Adventurer's Vault.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-19, 10:07 AM
A 18

Adventurer's Vault, page 48.

BinarySolo
2009-10-22, 01:59 PM
A 15

Yes, I would read space as being equivalent to square. Every time you enter a wall of fire square you take damage.

Burley
2009-10-25, 10:45 AM
Q19: In 4e D&D, If you successfully hit an enemy who is invisible, does he remain invisible?

Q20: Furthermore, if I hit an enemy with a burst or blast power, am I aware of the enemies presence? If I hit an enemy with an area burst, and the power allows me to slide the enemy X squares, how am I to do this if I can't see the enemy?

I ran into this problem. Rogue went invisible, my sorceror dropped an area burst 2 that slides 4 squares. I ended up saying "Slide to my left four squares." and the target remained invisible...

Grynning
2009-10-25, 11:45 AM
A19:

Yes, unless the effect making the target invisible states that it ends if they are hit.

A20: (There's not a straight RAW answer for this, but this is what I'm fairly sure is implied by RAW)

You can know the of the target's location for the purposes of resolving the forced movement, but after that your character would need to make perception checks to locate it again. I would say your character would know they hit something and caught a glimpse of it during the kaboom, but then lost track of it again when the dust cleared. And of course you're taking the -5 to hit as long as you can't see them.

Mando Knight
2009-10-25, 12:23 PM
And of course you're taking the -5 to hit as long as you can't see them.

Not with area powers. Concealment only takes effect on melee and ranged powers.

Burley
2009-10-25, 05:25 PM
A19:

Yes, unless the effect making the target invisible states that it ends if they are hit.

Thanks. Is there a page number for this? Or, somewhere official?

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-10-25, 05:37 PM
Thanks. Is there a page number for this? Or, somewhere official?

Try "How to read a power", page 54, specifically "duration", page 58. There is nothing special in 4E about invisibility, it is just another power. Powers end as stated in their description (e.g. "The target is invisible until the end of your next turn. If the target attacks, the power ends." Since being attacked is neither, it doesn't end it).

Grey Wolf

KillianHawkeye
2009-10-26, 01:06 AM
Q 21 (D&D 4E)

This question is about the Spiked Chain Training "weapon-multiclass" feat from Dragon Magazine. The feat lets you use a spiked chain as a double weapon that counts as a light blade and has the off-hand property.

The question is, do these properties replace the normal properties of a spiked chain, or are they in addition? I.E., can you benefit from a bonus for light blades and a bonus for flails at the same time? Do you retain your reach when using TWF powers?

The reason I'm asking this is because one of the powers you can get with the spiked chain power-swap feats allows you to maintain a grab with the chain as long as they're within 2 squares, and another gives you threatening reach. It just seemed a little odd to me that I couldn't find anything saying if you lost the reach property or kept it.

Gralamin
2009-10-26, 01:12 AM
A 21
The newest version of the feat, from Dragon Annual, States:

Spiked Chain Training [Multiclass Spiked Chain]
Prerequisite: Dex 13
Benefit: You gain proficiency with the spiked chain. You can treat the spiked chain as a double weapon and a light blade. As a double weapon, the spiked chain deals 2d4/2d4 damage, and it gains the off-hand property.
Since you can treat it as a double weapon and a light blade, it does not remove reach or other properties.

KillianHawkeye
2009-10-26, 01:38 AM
A 21
The newest version of the feat, from Dragon Annual, States:

Since you can treat it as a double weapon and a light blade, it does not remove reach or other properties.

Yeah, that's the one I was looking at. I don't have D&DI and just picked up the printed version the other day. I should have realized that it doesn't say it loses anything, so it doesn't. Thanks!

EDIT: Thought of another question.

Q 22 Is the basic melee attack granted as an opportunity action by the Agile Opportunist feat (PHB2 p.190) considered an Opportunity Attack? Or is that just to determine how often you can use it? I'm working on a spiked chain tempest fighter, so I gotta know! :smallsmile:

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-10-26, 09:03 AM
Q 22 Is the basic melee attack granted as an opportunity action by the Agile Opportunist feat (PHB2 p.190) considered an Opportunity Attack? Or is that just to determine how often you can use it? I'm working on a spiked chain tempest fighter, so I gotta know! :smallsmile:

A 22

It is not an Opportunity attack (i.e. a warrior wouldn't get wisdom bonus to hit), but it uses the same action slot (i.e. opportunity action, which you get only one per enemy turn)

The one type of opportunity action that every combatant can take is an opportunity attack

Grey Wolf

KillianHawkeye
2009-10-26, 09:32 AM
G'ah! I was afraid of that. :smallannoyed:

The J Pizzel
2009-10-28, 04:53 PM
Q 23
Let's say a baddie has several rechargable powers.

Power A is recharged on a 4, 5, and 6.
Power B is recharged on 5, and 6.
Power C is recharged on 6.

If I roll a 6 at the begining of his turn, do all three rechargable 6 powers recharge, or do I have to roll for each one indivually?

Thanks.

Mando Knight
2009-10-28, 05:05 PM
A 23
This is not addressed directly in the DMG or MM 1. However, I believe it is assumed that you roll separately for each recharging power.

mrmaxmrmax
2009-11-01, 08:20 PM
Q 24 4e D&D

A warden "can mark each adjacent enemy" as a free action with Nature's Wrath."

Does this mean a surrounded warden marks eight enemies or can pick and choose which enemies get marked?

Maxwell.

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-11-01, 08:22 PM
Q 24 4e D&D

A warden "can mark each adjacent enemy" as a free action with Nature's Wrath."

Does this mean a surrounded warden marks eight enemies or can pick and choose which enemies get marked?

Maxwell.

A 24

She can choose any of them from none to all 8 enemies.

Grey Wolf

mrmaxmrmax
2009-11-01, 11:44 PM
C 24 4e D&D

The wizard at-will power Thunderwave targets "Each creature in blast." Assuming that you cannot pick and choose who gets hit, how is this use of the word each different than the Warden's?

My argument is that 'each' is the same as 'all' based on its usage throughout the PHB.

Does it take one free action to mark all the creatures or five free actions to mark five adjacent creatures? If the former is true, then I stick to my guns and say a warden must mark all or no adjacent enemies. If the later is true, I can accept it and let the warden pick her marks.

Maxwell.

Edit: I think I've set up a straw man. You can't take multiple free actions to mark per round as a Warden. Oops.

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-11-01, 11:47 PM
C 24 4e D&D

The wizard at-will power Thunderwave targets "Each creature in blast." Assuming that you cannot pick and choose who gets hit, how is this use of the word each different than the Warden's?

My argument is that 'each' is the same as 'all' based on its usage throughout the PHB.

Does it take one free action to mark all the creatures or five free actions to mark five adjacent creatures? If the former is true, then I stick to my guns and say a warden must mark all or no adjacent enemies. If the later is true, I can accept it and let the warden pick her marks.

Maxwell.

As per thread rules, you should start a topic if you want to discuss this further, but the short answer is: it's not in the "each," it's in the "can" - wizard targets everything, warden gets to choose.

Grey Wolf

Thajocoth
2009-11-04, 04:07 PM
Q 25 4e D&D

Magical Ammunition.

Does it retain it's magic after being fired? Or are they one-time things? (I'm not talking about alchemical ammunition)

Master_Rahl22
2009-11-04, 05:04 PM
Q 26 4E D&D

When a power says "Miss: Charisma modifier damage" are any other static damage modifiers applied? Specifically, I'm referring to whether the Sorcerer ability Draconic Power that allows you to add Strength to damage, feats that apply to powers with specific keywords, and enhancement bonus from implements apply, or if it really is only the +4 you get from an 18 Charisma.

Mando Knight
2009-11-04, 06:05 PM
Q 25 4e D&D

Magical Ammunition.

Does it retain it's magic after being fired? Or are they one-time things? (I'm not talking about alchemical ammunition)

A 25
Magical ammunition in 4e is similar to such ammunition in 3.5: It's meant for a single shot. Fortunately, they're priced as such, being as much per use as any other consumable item of the same level.

A 26
By RAW, no other static damage modifiers are applied if they state that they are applied to damage rolls, as there's no rolling involved in this case.

Mr. Mud
2009-11-04, 07:17 PM
Q 27

What do the Rules as Written define a sword's scabbard as? Would it be worn in the waist item slot, or is it a wondrous item? (Why? I'm looking to homebrew a few scabbards and such)

Not exactly RAW, but... thanks in advance :smallsmile:.

@V: Thanks :smallamused:.

Kylarra
2009-11-04, 07:25 PM
A 27 All currently existing scabbards are wondrous items, therefore they occupy no slots.

Mando Knight
2009-11-04, 09:23 PM
A 27 All currently existing scabbards are wondrous items, therefore they occupy no slots.

For existing scabbards, see the Adventurer's Vault (and Adv. Vault 2, I believe). They're also categorized under the wondrous items in the DDI Character Builder.

powerdemon
2009-11-05, 05:02 AM
Repost from the other Q&A thread.

Original Author "Ravens_cry"

Q28a Pathfinder
Do I get the benefit of the Vital Strike feat, roll damage dice twice, on a charge?
Q28b
How does this interact with a Mounted charge with a Lance with the Spirited Charge feat?

Mauril Everleaf
2009-11-05, 01:24 PM
A 28
According to Jason Bulman, lead designer of the PFRPG, you cannot combine Vital Strike and a charge. Source (http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/rules/archives/chargingWithAVitalStrike&page=1#22)

Also, check here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/pathfinder-faq) for the other limitations on Vital Strike. There are many.

Asbestos
2009-11-08, 10:13 PM
Q29
D&D 4E
Can my shifter druid use his racial power while currently under the effects of Wild Shape?

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-11-08, 10:18 PM
Q29
D&D 4E
Can my shifter druid use his racial power while currently under the effects of Wild Shape?

A 29

Yes:

While you are in beast form, you can’t use attack, utility, or feat powers that lack the beast form keyword, although you can sustain such powers.

Racial powers are neither attack, nor utility, nor feat powers (the type of power is at the top right, in the colour band)

Grey Wolf

Faleldir
2009-11-09, 01:37 PM
Q 30 D&D 4e
Is there any way for a hybrid character to use the same implement for both classes?

Yakk
2009-11-09, 02:12 PM
Q 30 D&D 4e
Is there any way for a hybrid character to use the same implement for both classes?
A 30: Yes. As described in the http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drfe/20090525 dragon article, Hybrid Characters can use implements from both classes, and can use implement powers for either class for the implement powers for the other class.

So a Paladin | Swordmage could use a dagger as an implement when using Paladin Implement powers.

Asbestos
2009-11-10, 02:00 PM
Q 31
If a power says that it "lasts until the end of the encounter", how long is that in out of combat time? For example, were my Druid to use the level 2 Utility power 'Skittering Sneak', for what amount of time could they remain in the shape of a tiny animal?

Mando Knight
2009-11-10, 02:03 PM
A 31 Most powers in the first PHB suggest that an encounter is expected to last no more than five minutes, and have an out-of-combat clause for powers stating such a duration. As such, it would appear that a "until the end of the encounter" power has a duration of 5 minutes when used out of combat... which is always long enough for it to expire by the end of a Short Rest anyway.

Mordokai
2009-11-10, 06:05 PM
Q 32

If a ranger, level 11 is using Twin Strike for 2d10+13 damage(2[W] + 6 DEX + 2 Weapon Focus + 2 Bracers of Archery + 3 enchantement bonus) + 2d8(hunters quary) and uses Bravo to designate enemy as her prey and then uses Bravo Novice power on the same enemy... what's the sum of damage? I'm assuming it's 6d10+15+2d8. All the same bonuses as before, +2 from Bravo and +2[W] on every attack performed by Twin Strike. Is this correct, or do the two extra damage dice from Bravo Novice apply only to one attack made by Twin Strike?

Nightson
2009-11-10, 06:16 PM
A 32

First off, there's no Dex bonus to twin strike.

The Bravo prey power will add +2 to each damage roll (and +2 to both attack rolls).

The Bravo encounter power will add 2[W] not 4[W]. The power refers to the attack power and hitting with it, not hitting with individual attack rolls.

Mando Knight
2009-11-10, 06:23 PM
A32
You're undercutting your damage there.

Twin Strike does not apply your Dexterity modifier to damage unless you've got a feat that does so. However, each hit applies the damage modifiers from things like weapon enhancement and Weapon Focus.

Bravo Novice doesn't specify exactly what it means, but the "if you hit" line could be taken conservatively to mean "if you hit at least once," and more liberally "each time you hit." The latter is utterly broken with Twin Strike (already the most powerful weapon at-will in the game), and thus I would rule that it means the former, thus you deal the 2 extra dice only once regardless of how many times you hit.

Asbestos
2009-11-10, 08:26 PM
The latter is utterly broken with Twin Strike (already the most powerful weapon at-will in the game), and thus I would rule that it means the former, thus you deal the 2 extra dice only once regardless of how many times you hit.

I would rule the same way, based on the wording.

mrmaxmrmax
2009-11-10, 09:49 PM
Q 33 4e

Can you coup de grace multiple enemies with one standard action?

Maxwell.

Nightson
2009-11-10, 09:57 PM
A 33

By the wording of the coup de grace action itself, I'd day no. The action references only "a helpless enemy adjacent to you" as the target which would strongly imply you're only able to use it against one such enemy.

Faleldir
2009-11-10, 10:26 PM
Q 34 D&D 4e
Are there any official stats for a footman's flail? If not, are there any guidelines for creating new weapons?

Grynning
2009-11-10, 10:38 PM
A 34
There are two kinds of flails, the light (one-handed) and heavy (two-handed). Whether you call it a footman's flail or not is merely a matter of flavor (and whether you're using it on foot or on horseback, I suppose). Spiked chains and whips also fall into the flail weapon group.

Thajocoth
2009-11-10, 10:44 PM
Q 34 D&D 4e
Are there any official stats for a footman's flail? If not, are there any guidelines for creating new weapons?

A 34 - No, but looking at each group, you'll notice trends that you can apply to this.

I don't know the difference between a Footman's Flail and any other Flail, but Flail trends (which you can get in the free Character Builder Demo) are:

Flail - One-handed Military Melee, +2, 1d10, 10gp, Flail, Versatile, 5lb
Heavy Flail - Two-handed Military Melee, +2, 2d6, 25gp, Flail, 10lb
Scourge - One-handed Military Melee, +2, 1d8, 3gp, Flail, Off-hand, 2lb
Double Flail - Two-handed Superior Melee, +2, 1d10/1d10, 30gp, Flail, Defensive, Off-hand, 11lb
Net - One-handed Superior Melee, +2, 1d6, 20gp, Flail, Off-hand, Heavy Thrown, 6lb
Spiked Chain - Two-handed Superior Melee, +3, 2d4, 30gp, Flail, Reach, 10lb
Triple-headed Flail - One-handed Superior Melee, +3, 1d10, 15gp, Flail, Versatile, 6lb
Whip - One-handed Superior Melee, +3, 1d4, 1gp, Flail, Reach, Off-hand, 2lb
Bola - One-handed Superior Ranged, +3, 1d4, 5gp, Flail, Light Thrown, 2lb

Faleldir
2009-11-10, 10:55 PM
I'm specifically looking for a weapon that counts as a flail and a polearm, so it's not just a matter of fluff. If I take the stats for a glaive and change the weapon group, would that be balanced?

Tiki Snakes
2009-11-10, 11:08 PM
From a quick google, the footman's flail doesn't sound like it would BE a pole-arm. (Given that it just has a slightly larger handle.)

As for balance, I'm not entirely sure how the ramifications of counting as both a pole-arm and a flail would work out, but I'd be hesitant say that it would be entirely balanced.

From what I can see, the heavy flail would model it perfectly well.

Mr. Mud
2009-11-12, 12:07 AM
Q 35Could, by RAW, a Swordmage use a Two Weapon Fighting Style, and gain benefits from both weapons? Alternatively, could he multiclass to Rogue to the same effect?

Mando Knight
2009-11-12, 12:13 AM
Q 35Could, by RAW, a Swordmage use a Two Weapon Fighting Style, and gain benefits from both weapons? Alternatively, could he multiclass to Rogue to the same effect?

A 35 Is there anything saying he can't? Without Dual Implement Spellcaster or Two Weapon Fighting/Defense, though, it's not much more effective than if a not-Tempest Fighter or a Rogue did so.

Mr. Mud
2009-11-12, 12:15 AM
C 35 I looked over all my handbooks, and I got a no. I was just kicking around the idea, not that it'd work very well... but it could be a fun concept :smalltongue:. Anyway, thanks.

Mando Knight
2009-11-12, 12:23 AM
C 35 I looked over all my handbooks, and I got a no. I was just kicking around the idea, not that it'd work very well... but it could be a fun concept :smalltongue:. Anyway, thanks.

Oh, no. It works great. Grabbing Two-Weapon Defense and a Defensive off-hand weapon negates the AC penalty for keeping your off-hand occupied, Dual Implement Spellcaster makes implement powers ridiculously destructive, and MC Ranger or Fighter means you can take advantage of the options of their Two-Weapon builds, too.

Guinea Anubis
2009-11-16, 12:24 PM
Q36 4e D&D

I would have sworn I read that if you got knocked prone you could only take a move or standard action. But I can not find where I read that is if I did read it.

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-11-16, 12:40 PM
A36

The rules for prone can be found in PHB 277

PRONE
✦ You grant combat advantage to enemies making melee attacks against you.
✦ You get a +2 bonus to all defenses against rangedattacks from nonadjacent enemies.
✦ You’re lying on the ground. (If you’re flying, you safely descend a distance equal to your fly speed. If you don’t reach the ground, you fall.)
✦ You take a –2 penalty to attack rolls.
✦ You can drop prone as a minor action.

You can crawl or stand up as move actions, and you can take a standard action before or after it. Maybe you are thinking of dazed?

Grey Wolf

Faleldir
2009-11-22, 12:22 AM
Q 37
When you treat a one-handed weapon as off-hand, does that weapon have the off-hand property for the purpose of Tempest Technique?

Q 38
Where does it say that damage resistance doesn't stack?

Q 39
Are there any one-handed high crit weapons with a good proficiency bonus?

Q 40
Does a hybrid Barbarian have Rage Strike?

Mando Knight
2009-11-22, 12:49 AM
Q 37
When you treat a one-handed weapon as off-hand, does that weapon have the off-hand property for the purpose of Tempest Technique?
A 37 Depends on the source. The Barbarian Whirling Slayer feature specifically states that you treat the weapon as an off-hand weapon. However, the Two-Blade Warrior feat and the Ranger's Two-Weapon Fighting Style only state that you can treat a one-handed weapon as an off-hand weapon for purposes of wielding a weapon in your off-hand. It does not state that you treat the weapon is treated as an off-hand weapon for any other purpose.

Q 38
Where does it say that damage resistance doesn't stack?
A 38 Damage resistance is not a bonus, but a flat number. There is no place in the rule books that state that damage resistance doesn't stack, however, since resistance isn't a bonus, it is implied that it does not. (Note that feats and such that increase your resistance to a damage type specify that it adds to your existing resistance.)

Q 39
Are there any one-handed high crit weapons with a good proficiency bonus?
A 39 If by "good proficiency bonus" you mean +3, then no. The only high crit +3 weapon is the two-handed Fullblade from the Adventurer's Vault.

Q 40
Does a hybrid Barbarian have Rage Strike?
A 40 No. Hybrid Barbarian grants no abilities from the full Barbarian class that it does not state it grants.

Faleldir
2009-11-22, 08:31 PM
Q 41
What exactly is the point of heavy thrown weapons if almost all ranged weapon powers are Dexterity-based?

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-11-22, 08:35 PM
Q 41
What exactly is the point of heavy thrown weapons if almost all ranged weapon powers are Dexterity-based?

Their point is that Strength-based builds have some means of long-distance fighting. That way, if something stops them from going melee (like facing flying enemies) they're not just twiddling their thumbs while the other players have all the fun.

(This may even be by RAW, but can't remember if I read it in one of the side-boxes, or maybe in one of the podcasts)

Grey Wolf

Faleldir
2009-11-22, 08:49 PM
In other words, they are backup weapons only, and there's no way to build a character around them?

erikun
2009-11-22, 09:23 PM
C 41 As far as I know, there are no ranged weapon powers based off strength. So for now, unless there is some kind of hulking thrower Paragon Path, heavy thrown weapons are just backup weapons so that STR-based characters can attack from a range.

Mando Knight
2009-11-22, 10:56 PM
C 41 There are Strength-based ranged weapon powers, but most of them are for the Warlord (and are mostly in Martial Power). As has been stated, outside of those few powers their main ability is to allow the Paladin and Fighter to keep damaging and marking targets that they can't reach with their melee attacks.

Another option is to use them in combination with a two-weapon build so as to be able to mix it up between melee and ranged combat. Drow Long Knives (Eberron Player's Guide) and Tratnyrs (Adventurer's Vault) are best with this due to their properties, but the Javelin, Throwing Hammer, and Hand Axe are all useful if you don't want to spend the proficiency feat.

Guinea Anubis
2009-11-23, 08:14 AM
Q42 I hope this is the right spot for this. Does Tiamat have a Channel Divinity?

Grynning
2009-11-23, 10:01 AM
A 42
Like many evil deities, Tiamat does not have her own specific channel divinity power. However, Divine Power introduced Domains, which each have a CD power associated with them. "Regular" Tiamat has the Strife and Vengeance domains, while the FR Tiamat has Tyranny instead of Strife. The associated feats will appear under "Divinity Feats" in the character builder after you select a deity.

Dekkah
2009-11-24, 10:53 AM
Q 43 : The artificer start with ritual higher level than he should be able to use in his ritual book (mastered). Can he use them right away (disenchant item at level 1) or does he have to wait until the real ritual level to use them?

Q 44: Does the Fighter Daily power (level 1) Tempest Dance require different target? I wonder since other power similar usually specify that it need to be a different target than the primary target.

Namillus
2009-11-25, 09:49 AM
Q 45: The Religious Dabbler feat, printed in Divine Power, allows a half-elf member of any divine class to select an at-will from a different divine class and use either that power or his Dilettante power in any given encounter, but he can't use both in the same encounter.

What happens if, at 11th level, the character takes the Versatile Master feat, turning his Dilettante into an At-Will power? There are three options, that I can see:

1) He can use his Dilettante as an At-Will and the Religious Dabbler power as an Encounter power without any problems.

2) The Religious Dabbler power also becomes At-Will, but this is a stretchy reading, and probably not supported by the text of the feats.

3) Dilettante power becomes an At-Will, but using it even once in an encounter precludes the use of his Religious Dabbler power during that encounter; and if he uses the Religious Dabbler power, he cannot use his Dilettante At-Will for the rest of the encounter.

Which of these is closest to the correct answer?

Yakk
2009-11-25, 10:28 AM
A 45: By RAW, both #1 and #3 are consistent, depending on how one particular clause is read.

Versatile Master lets you use the Dilettante power as an at-will (and other things that don't matter here). It changes how you use your Dilettante power (it doesn't grant a new one or anything).

Dabbler lets you use (the new power) or (the dilettante power) as an encounter power, but only one in a given encounter. However, the "only one in a given encounter" clause could be attached to the "use" clause, or the "use as an encounter power" clause. And with VMaster, you no longer use your Dilettante power as an encounter power. (Ie, imagine if you had a feature that let you use one of two daily powers as an encounter power, but only one in a given encounter -- clearly the restriction here would be "as an encounter power" in a given encounter).

If it is attached to "use", then you can only use one of them per encounter, regardless -- being able to use the Dilettante power at-will doesn't change anything.

If it is attached to "use as an encounter power", then so long as you don't use the Dilettante power as an encounter power, you can use your Dabbler power as an encounter power.

In effect, the rules admit two ambiguous interpretations here. The interpretation that allows #1 to result generates less bookkeeping, but is a more convoluted one.

Grynning
2009-11-29, 01:17 PM
A 39, correction:

A 39 If by "good proficiency bonus" you mean +3, then no. The only high crit +3 weapon is the two-handed Fullblade from the Adventurer's Vault.

The above is not accurate. The Katar from PHB 1 is a +3 proficiency high-crit weapon, and is one-handed.

Grynning
2009-11-29, 01:24 PM
A 43 :

The Ritual Caster feat states that you can master and perform rituals of your level or lower. The artificer gets no special exception to this, s/he simply has the listed rituals in his book and mastered. By RAW s/he cannot perform them until s/he is the appropriate level. I believe RAI is to allow them to be done at level 1 though.

A 44:

No. The power does not specify anything about the secondary target; you may choose the same target or a different one.

Mando Knight
2009-11-29, 05:06 PM
A 39, correction:

The above is not accurate. The Katar from PHB 1 is a +3 proficiency high-crit weapon, and is one-handed.

...oops. I'd forgotten about that one. Possibly because it's got a d6 damage die, meaning that you're about as well off with a d10 weapon...

The J Pizzel
2009-12-02, 08:50 PM
Q45
Is there a feat that negates the OA for using Ranged power (or weapon) while adjacent to an enemy? I don't want my Invoker getting beat down every time he uses a power.

Faleldir
2009-12-02, 09:48 PM
Q 46
When using Footwork Lure, if you can shift 2 squares, does "the space you left" refer to "the last space out of which you shifted" or "the space you occupied when you hit"?

Guinea Anubis
2009-12-03, 07:29 AM
Q47 one of my players has been picking up the ritual books of his dead friends. He wants to take and scrib the rituals from one book to another so every ritual book as all the rituals. By RaW can he do this?

Q48 Another ritual book question, the ritual book its self is 50gp but if you sale one that has rituals in it how would you handle the price by Raw? I am thinking you would take the price of the ritual book + market price and do the normal 1/5 of that.

Krrth
2009-12-03, 09:16 AM
Q49 It is my understanding that the bonus for feats stacks if one is a situational bonus. Is this correct? More specifically, does the feat that gives +1 speed if you are manifesting watersoul or windsoul stack with the feat that gives a flat +1 to speed?

Q50
If a feat has a requirement of a specific manifestation (cindersoul) to take, do you have to be in that manifestation to use the feat?

Mauril Everleaf
2009-12-03, 12:20 PM
A 47 Yes. You still have to pay costs to scribe those rituals.

A 48 To my knowledge, there is no RAW on that specifically, but that is exactly how I would rule that.

A 49 They would stack, but only as long as they aren't typed the same. Situational or not, bonuses of the same type do not stack.

A 50 If you do not (currently) qualify for a feat, you cannot benefit from it.

Chrono22
2009-12-03, 06:45 PM
Q 51

3.5 question here.

Glyph Seals (from the Magic Item Compendium, page 161) allow a character to "convert any arcane or divine spell of up to 2nd level into a symbol similar to a Glyph of Warding (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/glyphofwarding.htm)".

My question is, how is "similar" defined in the context of magic items? Often, a magic item's actual function is very different from what it is based on. Such as, rings of spell storing (based on a divine spell, works on any magic).
Is the glyph created by a glyph seal limited to "harmful" spells in the same fashion as Glyph of Warding? It specifies that it works on any divine or arcane spell, but that it is also similar to the original.

Q 52 If it does work on spells that are benign, how would it work on things like illusions? Does the caster spend time concentrating to extend the duration as he casts it? Does he imagine the illusion in advance, which then comes into being on activation of the symbol? Or are they limited to 1 round durations?

Guinea Anubis
2009-12-03, 06:53 PM
Q 51

*snip*

Not sure, but there is a 3.5 question by raw thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123431)that may get you a better reply.

Chrono22
2009-12-03, 07:20 PM
Oh. It said "Other Systems" so I just assumed that included things like 3.5

Faleldir
2009-12-04, 03:43 PM
Q 53
Where can I find the rule that says a suit of armor made for a small creature weighs less than the chart indicates?

Thajocoth
2009-12-04, 03:48 PM
Q 53
Where can I find the rule that says a suit of armor made for a small creature weighs less than the chart indicates?

A 53 - You can't 'cause it doesn't.

Gralamin
2009-12-07, 03:20 AM
Q 54

Okay, so maybe this isn't all that simple. I've seen quite a few interpretations of how powers like Whirling Frenzy (Primal Power 11) works in regards to static damage. As a sample scenario, say we have a whirling barbarian with 18 strength (+4 modifier), Weapon focus (+1 damage) and two +1 broadswords. When he uses this power, is the damage:

1) 1d10+1d10+4+1+1 = 2d10+6 damage (All static modifiers apply once)
2) 1d10+1+1d10+1+4+1 = 2d10+7 damage, (Enhancement bonus of each weapon applies, other mods apply once)
3) 1d10+1+1+1d10+1+1+4 = 2d10+8 damage (Static modifiers other then ability modifier apply on each, ability modifier applies once), or
4) 1d10+4+1+1+1d10+4+1+1 = 2d10+12 damage (All static modifiers apply on both).

The character's builder's answer in this situation is 1d10+1[W]+6 damage, where the second 1[W] is presumably just another 1d10. However, this answer is still ambiguous.
I've been playing it as #2, but it'd be good to know for sure.

Thajocoth
2009-12-07, 03:54 AM
Q 54

Okay, so maybe this isn't all that simple. I've seen quite a few interpretations of how powers like Whirling Frenzy (Primal Power 11) works in regards to static damage. As a sample scenario, say we have a whirling barbarian with 18 strength (+4 modifier), Weapon focus (+1 damage) and two +1 broadswords. When he uses this power, is the damage:

1) 1d10+1d10+4+1+1 = 2d10+6 damage (All static modifiers apply once)
2) 1d10+1+1d10+1+4+1 = 2d10+7 damage, (Enhancement bonus of each weapon applies, other mods apply once)
3) 1d10+1+1+1d10+1+1+4 = 2d10+8 damage (Static modifiers other then ability modifier apply on each, ability modifier applies once), or
4) 1d10+4+1+1+1d10+4+1+1 = 2d10+12 damage (All static modifiers apply on both).

The character's builder's answer in this situation is 1d10+1[W]+6 damage, where the second 1[W] is presumably just another 1d10. However, this answer is still ambiguous.
I've been playing it as #2, but it'd be good to know for sure.

A 54

* 1[W] refers only to the damage dice of the weapon when it's mundane. In this case, 1d10.
* +str mod is added by the power itself. Note that some powers don't add a stat mod (like Twin Strike).
* Enhancement Bonus is added when you hit with the weapon. You're not hitting with your offhand weapon. Enchanting an offhand weapon is usually a useless thing to do, with the exception of a Ranger, who makes separate attacks with each weapon.
* Weapon Focus adds to your damage when you hit with the weapon. See Enhancement Bonus explanation above.

So, you get 1[Main-W] + 1[Off-W] + Str Mod + Main-Enh + Weapon Focus = 1d10 + 1d10 + 4 + 1 + 1 = 2d10+6

So #1 is correct.

Gralamin
2009-12-07, 04:09 AM
A 54 Contention
A good attempt at coming up with a RAW answer, but missing on several points that you haven't bothered to address. The following is just what I found that supports multiple possible interpretations.

A 54
First off, it is hardly by RAW if you do not quote any sources, at all.

* 1[W] refers only to the damage dice of the weapon when it's mundane. In this case, 1d10.
Not mundane though. Your statement suggests a magical weapon should be different, but you do not address how.

* +str mod is added by the power itself. Note that some powers don't add a stat mod (like Twin Strike).
Page 57 of the PHB states:

Some powers add modifiers to attack rolls or damage rolls. These modifiers apply to any roll of the dice, but not to ongoing damage or other static non variable effects. Since 1[W] Main-hand and 1[W] Off-hand could be argued to be two different rolls of the dice, an argument exists for the strength modifier applying to both.

* Enhancement Bonus is added when you hit with the weapon. You're not hitting with your offhand weapon. Enchanting an offhand weapon is usually a useless thing to do, with the exception of a Ranger, who makes separate attacks with each weapon.
According to PHB 225:

Magic weapons and implements grant their enhancement bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls only when you use powers delivered through the weapon the weapon or the implement. It is unclear what constitutes delivering a power through a weapon, so this does not preclude the chance of both applying.
In addition, Ranger is not the only exception. A normal barbarian, Tempest fighters, and a few other classes, all have separate attack powers as well.

* Weapon Focus adds to your damage when you hit with the weapon. See Enhancement Bonus explanation above. Weapon focus adds on any damage roll. A damage roll is defined on page 276 as

Roll the damage indicated in the power description...
...Add the ability modifier specified in the power description

This would, include everything on the hit effect line as part of the damage roll, and thus weapon focus should only be applied once.

So, you get 1[Main-W] + 1[Off-W] + Str Mod + Main-Enh + Weapon Focus = 1d10 + 1d10 + 4 + 1 + 1 = 2d10+6
Still not clear this is right.

Gralamin
2009-12-07, 01:59 PM
A 54
I agree with your answer, it just isn't clear by RAW, and you act as if it is.

"First off, it is hardly by RAW if you do not quote any sources, at all."

I don't need to quote things to be right.

So wait, I ask for quotes supporting your claim, bring up quotes that make whether this is true ambiguous, explain why, and you respond with simply "I'm right" and not give any actual quotes to support your view?

This is a very poor way to answer a question by RAW, since currently, the only insurance I have that your answer is right is that it is your opinion. Not that it matters, since apparently you refuse to respond more to this question for some reason.

"Not mundane though. Your statement suggests a magical weapon should be different, but you do not address how."

Erm... I'm referring to the damage dice the weapon has on it's own without any bonuses at all. It's the definition of [W]... Which is 1d10 in this case. It's the "mundane" damage before any magic or modifiers. It surprises me that you didn't find that to be clear.
Your statement could of been read two ways: It's the damage die before magic, OR a magical weapon has additional rules. You may of found it clear, but otherwise it is ambiguous.

"Page 57 of the PHB states:
Since 1[W] Main-hand and 1[W] Off-hand could be argued to be two different rolls of the dice, an argument exists for the strength modifier applying to both."

It's 1 damage roll. To be 2 damage rolls, it'd have to say:
Hit: 1[W] + str mod
Hit: 1[W] (offhand) + str mod
Which it doesn't. The powers have 1 "Hit:" line, and therefore 1 damage roll that happens to include multiple dice. What you're saying is the same as adding str mod twice for something that says "Hit: 2[W]+str mod damage". If they wanted you to deal the str mod damage twice, they'd say it twice in the power's "Hit:" line or list separate "Hit" lines for each weapon.
That specific line did not say it had to be a damage roll - It only said it had to be a roll of the dice, and doesn't say there is one roll of the dice per hit. Poor wording on WoTC Part, and you are probably interpreting it how it is meant to be, but this isn't about RAI, its about RAW.

"According to PHB 225:
. It is unclear what constitutes delivering a power through a weapon, so this does not preclude the chance of both applying."

You are hitting with only the main weapon, therefore are delivering the power through only the main weapon. You're merely dealing some damage with the off-hand weapon.
Prove it. I haven't see a RAW quote that saids so.

"In addition, Ranger is not the only exception. A normal barbarian, Tempest fighters, and a few other classes, all have separate attack powers as well."

You're stretching. What I mean is clear. This isn't even relevant to your question.
I was merely pointing out an error in your facts.

" Weapon focus adds on any damage roll. A damage roll is defined on page 276 as"

Regardless... It's still a single damage roll, so this doesn't change. And even if you ignore that fact, it still doesn't stack with itself as it's a feat bonus. So there's 2 reasons for you. But thanks for looking that up, I'll let the Fighter in my group know to add to his Rain of Steel damage and Reaping Strike misses.
...Didn't I just say that? Didn't I just find RAW justification for your claim, and say that part at least was definitely right? How is that regardless?

Regardless, if I cannot get a more definite RAW answer in the next post, this has grown enough that it should be it's own thread.

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-12-07, 02:19 PM
Not that it matters, since apparently you refuse to respond more to this question for some reason.

The reason is that, according to the thread rules, if the answer does not satisfy you, you are not supposed to repost in the thread and start a discussion. Post the query as a new thread:

[...]
Don’t:
[...]
Post to debate the answers given.
[...]

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf

Gralamin
2009-12-07, 02:25 PM
The reason is that, according to the thread rules, if the answer does not satisfy you, you are not supposed to repost in the thread and start a discussion. Post the query as a new thread:

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf

Actually, I imagine his reason is more the "I do not debate" thing. But I might post a thread to discuss it anyway. I forgot about that rule.

Hzurr
2009-12-07, 03:04 PM
Q55 - [4E]

What qualifies as an "attack"? The specific situation I'm dealing with has to do with the Monk's Flurry-of-Blows ability. The Monk attacks Monster A, and uses his flurry of blows ability on Monster A and Monster B (the Monk is 11th level). If Monster B has an immediate interrupt ability that happens when he's attacked, does he get to use it when he's the target of Flurry of Blows (since there wasn't technically an attack rolled against him?)

Thajocoth
2009-12-07, 03:09 PM
Q55 - [4E]

What qualifies as an "attack"? The specific situation I'm dealing with has to do with the Monk's Flurry-of-Blows ability. The Monk attacks Monster A, and uses his flurry of blows ability on Monster A and Monster B (the Monk is 11th level). If Monster B has an immediate interrupt ability that happens when he's attacked, does he get to use it when he's the target of Flurry of Blows (since there wasn't technically an attack rolled against him?)

A55 - [4E]

An attack is a d20 roll to determine if you hit, so monster B's interrupt doesn't happen here, as he's only damaged, not attacked.

Gralamin
2009-12-07, 03:19 PM
A55 - Clarification
All attacks have the following properties according to page 269 of the PHB:
Each attack has an attack type (Melee, ranged, close, area)
You must choose targets for an attack that are within range, and you check if you can see and target your opponents.
You make an Attack roll
You compare the Attack Roll to a defense
You deal damage.
Anything missing any of these properties (Without a line such as "Special: This attack can target enemies you cannot see") is not an attack.

Mando Knight
2009-12-07, 03:34 PM
A55 - Clarification
All attacks have the following properties according to page 269 of the PHB:
Each attack has an attack type (Melee, ranged, close, area)
You must choose targets for an attack that are within range, and you check if you can see and target your opponents.
You make an Attack roll
You compare the Attack Roll to a defense
You deal damage.
Anything missing any of these properties (Without a line such as "Special: This attack can target enemies you cannot see") is not an attack.

Partially incorrect: you can target enemies you cannot see unless the power specifically states you need to see the target. A target you cannot see benefits from Total Concealment. If you target an enemy that you cannot see, then you automatically miss if you target the wrong square. An area attack does not bother with Concealment, but will still miss if its area does not include the target.

You do not need line of sight to most targets so long as you have line of effect (which is always required to hit a target unless specified otherwise).

Dekkah
2009-12-07, 03:46 PM
Q 56 : When using an area attack agaisnt an ennemy you cant see, do you have to call where he is or do you need to simply be winthin the area to roll against it? Also, if there is a ennemy in the area that the attacker is completly unaware of, do he roll agaisnt it as well?.

Mando Knight
2009-12-07, 04:00 PM
A 56
The player may roll against each target he expects is in the area, so long as he specifies whether he's attacking an actual being or a seemingly empty square before rolling (so as to avoid shuffling bad rolls into empty squares). If the attack covers an area containing an enemy that the player did not detect, the DM is under compulsion to either secretly roll the extra attack or request the player to make an extra attack.

For specific rules, see PHB 271 (Close Attack and Area Attack), 273 (Seeing and Targeting), and 280 (Concealment). Concealment (including Total Concealment) applies only to Ranged and Melee attacks, and line of sight is thus not needed to target enemies in a Close or Area attack (unless otherwise specified), although Line of Effect from the Origin Square to the target and from the attacker to the Origin Square is needed.

Glyphic
2009-12-09, 08:31 PM
q57 4e

When using forced movement, may you move a hostile creature through a friendly creature?

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-12-10, 11:20 AM
q57 4e

When using forced movement, may you move a hostile creature through a friendly creature?

A57

I believe not, due to the clear path requirement:

Clear Path: Forced movement can’t move a target into a space it couldn’t enter by walking. The target can’t be forced into an obstacle or made to squeeze into a space.

A hostile creature could not normally enter a square already in use by an enemy creature. Admittedly, it sounds more like a rule for not pushing people into walls, but by RAW it would apply to this situation as well.

Grey Wolf

NealNeal
2009-12-10, 12:08 PM
Q58a- 4e

Paragon Path- Turathi Highborn gets the Encounter Power Bolts of Bedevilment. It doesn't explicitly state that it must be used against enemies. Can I use it when I am out of other encounter powers to have the party's Dragon Sorcerer blow up a dude with his Feat'ed Ranged Basic At-Will?

Relevant Power Text-
Bolts of Bedevilment
Encounter Charm, Fire
Standard Action Ranged 10
Target: One creature
Attack: Charisma, Constitution, or Intelligence + 4 vs. Will
Level 21: Charisma, Constitution, or Intelligence + 6 vs. Will
Hit: The target makes a basic attack against a creature of your choice as a free action. The target gains a +2 power bonus to the attack roll, and on a hit, its attack deals 2d6 extra fire damage.
Special: When you gain this power, choose Charisma, Constitution, or Intelligence as the ability you use when making attack rolls with this power.

Q58b 4e

Could I use Bolts of Bedevilment to have a target, whom has been marked by an Assault Swordmage in the party, attack an adjacent enemy and trigger the Swordmages Aegis of Assault?

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-12-10, 12:39 PM
A58a

Yes, you can, since it targets "one creature" as opposed to "one enemy"

Grey Wolf

Hzurr
2009-12-11, 01:02 PM
A58b

If making an attack triggers the Aegis; and the target makes an attack (regardless of if it was willing or not), the Aegis is triggered.

This is actually a really good use of the power.

Dekkah
2009-12-11, 01:50 PM
Q - 59 : This happened in our game yesterday night : Our Chaos sorcerer used an area attack power. Et proceed to make attack rolls. On the 4th roll (on 6 possible attacks) he roll a Natural 1 wich triggers the "forgot the name of this choas ability - unfettered power i think) that make him push every creatures 1 suqare within 5 squares radius.
The question here is : does this happen immediatly (wich would have pushed the 2 remaining targets rolls invalids - moving them out of the area) or does he resolve all attack before doing the pushing?

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-12-11, 01:55 PM
A59

Not sure I can find it in RAW, but I'm fairly certain that you first determine who or what gets hit, and then apply any and all consequences of being hit, since an area attack presumably happens all at once - i.e. the order in which you roll to hit is irrelevant (if he had had 6 d20s, one of each colour, he could have rolled all at once, for example).

Grey Wolf

Guinea Anubis
2009-12-11, 02:11 PM
A59

Page 269 of the PHB

MAKING AN ATTACK
All attacks follow the same basic process:
1. Choose the attack you’ll use. Each attack has an
attack type.
2. Choose targets for the attack (page 272). Each target
must be within range (page 273). Check whether
you can see and target your enemies (page 273).
3. Make an attack roll (page 273).
4. Compare your attack roll to the target’s defense
(page 274) to determine whether you hit or miss.
5. Deal damage and apply other effects (page 276).

so the moving of the targets happens after damage.

Thajocoth
2009-12-14, 02:35 AM
Q - 60 : Let's say A is 1 square Northeast of B (on the diagonal). A moves South 2 squares, provoking an AoO from B. Can B decline the AoO from the first square of movement and take the AoO on the second square of movement instead?

If not... Same scenario. B declined the AoO from the movement when A moved from Northeast of B to Southeast of B. A now uses their standard action (in the same turn) to make a ranged attack. Having declined the earlier AoO, can they spend their Opportunity Action now to take an AoO?

The shortest version: If you don't spend your opportunity action the moment you can, do you lose it?

tcrudisi
2009-12-14, 04:43 AM
Q - 60 : Let's say A is 1 square Northeast of B (on the diagonal). A moves South 2 squares, provoking an AoO from B. Can B decline the AoO from the first square of movement and take the AoO on the second square of movement instead?

If not... Same scenario. B declined the AoO from the movement when A moved from Northeast of B to Southeast of B. A now uses their standard action (in the same turn) to make a ranged attack. Having declined the earlier AoO, can they spend their Opportunity Action now to take an AoO?

The shortest version: If you don't spend your opportunity action the moment you can, do you lose it?

A - 60 Per the opportunity attack rules, you can make an opportunity attack when an enemy leaves a square adjacent to you (minus forced movement, teleports and slides). By the wording given, you can choose not to make it. Then, you can choose to make it when he leaves the next square (one in which you have combat advantage). Or, you can wait until he uses a ranged attack.

Short version: If you do not spend your OA the moment you can, you still have it against that enemy if he provokes another one.

incubus5075
2009-12-14, 11:55 AM
Q - 61

With a chaos socerer's atwill chaos bolt you get to roll again if your attack roll is even. It says the second attack does 1d6 do I add all my other static mods and just not add in my CHA mod? I currently do +27 on static mods with +6 of that coming from CHA mod, so I would do 1d6+21?

Mando Knight
2009-12-14, 01:35 PM
A 61 Add all of your modifiers other than your Charisma modifier. This does include your Dexterity modifier and your implement's enhancement bonus. This is due to the secondary attack being a second attack and a second damage roll, which each qualify for getting the applicable modifiers for attack and damage rolls, as normal.

Thajocoth
2009-12-14, 07:48 PM
Q - 62 : Druid's Wild Shape says that a person cannot use Attack, Utility or Feat powers while in Beast Form that do not have the Beast Form keyword. It gives an exception for properties and powers of armor and worn items, but not weapons or wondrous items.

Wilden's get 3 racial encounter powers and choose which to use each day. These powers do not have the Beast Form keyword. They are not attacks, but may result in an attack (one of them grants a charge as a reaction, for example). They're certainly not feat or item powers. The Character Builder gives them Encounter Power cards, not Utility cards. They have no rolls for anything.

Can I use my racial powers while Wild Shaped?

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-12-14, 07:51 PM
A - 62 :

Yes, since they are Racial powers, not Attack, Utility or Feat powers. The type of power can be found in the colour strip at the top.

Edit: this question is duplicate. First time was here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7278818&postcount=58)

Grey Wolf

erikun
2009-12-14, 07:56 PM
Q 63:

Can a character use an improvised weapon to trigger a power with the [Weapon] keyword? Can someone use a melee weapon as an improvised ranged weapon for a power with the [Weapon] keyword?

If someone throws an enchanted melee weapon as an improvised weapon, such as a +1 Magic Longsword, does it return to their hand after being thrown? What about throwing magical equipment which is not a weapon, such as a +1 Full Plate or +1 Holy Symbol?

Q 64:

If you are wielding a weapon as an implement, do the weapon's properities apply to your [Implement] powers?

For example, a Wizard which has taken Arcane Implement Expertise (Heavy Blade). If he is wielding a Khopesh (Brutal 1), do all his implement spells gain Brutal 1? If he takes the Deadly Axe feat (high crit), do all his implement spells gain the High Crit properity?

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-12-14, 08:13 PM
Q 63:

Can a character use an improvised weapon to trigger a power with the [Weapon] keyword? Can someone use a melee weapon as an improvised ranged weapon for a power with the [Weapon] keyword?

A63
Yes, to both. In both cases, the weapon's stats are irrelevant, instead using the "improvised ranged weapon" line in PHB 219

If someone throws an enchanted melee weapon as an improvised weapon, such as a +1 Magic Longsword, does it return to their hand after being thrown? What about throwing magical equipment which is not a weapon, such as a +1 Full Plate or +1 Holy Symbol?

A63b

No, once you decide to use them as improvised ranged weapons, they are exactly that, and any magical powers they may have in their regular function no longer apply.

Grey Wolf

Thajocoth
2009-12-14, 11:20 PM
Q - 64 : A Bugbear Shock Trooper Tempest Fighter... I was looking at both the double sword and the quarterstaff (with the feat to make it a double weapon, 1d8/1d8, offhand and defensive). According to the builder, they're 1d6/1d6 and 1d8/1d8 respectively, which, at large size become 1d8/1d8 and 2d4/2d4, which, when enlarged one die size from shock trooper, become 1d10/1d10 and 1d10/1d10.

However, to test the quarterstaff, I had to edit a large double sword to be 2d4/2d4 because the feat didn't seem to effect the weapon properly. (Bug in the software.)

It seems really strange to me that these two weapons start a die size off from one another, and with the same modifications, become the same size as one another. What is correct here?

erikun
2009-12-14, 11:57 PM
A - 64: Something is incorrect here.

The table you want to use is on PHB p.220 for resizing weapons. You follow different dice "paths" depending on if the weapon is One-Handed or Two-Handed.

One-Handed:
1d6 > 1d8 > 1d10 > 1d12
Two-Handed:
1d8 > 2d4 > 1d10

It looks like the character builder is treating the double sword as a One-Handed weapon and the quarterstaff as a Two-Handed weapon, for some reason. It seems more reasonable to treat them both the same, treating them both as a One-Handed weapon and turning the quarterstaff into a 1d12/1d12 double weapon.

I'm not sure what the official answer would be, but at least you know where the discrepancy is coming from.

Thajocoth
2009-12-15, 12:59 AM
A - 64: Something is incorrect here.

The table you want to use is on PHB p.220 for resizing weapons. You follow different dice "paths" depending on if the weapon is One-Handed or Two-Handed.

One-Handed:
1d6 > 1d8 > 1d10 > 1d12
Two-Handed:
1d8 > 2d4 > 1d10

It looks like the character builder is treating the double sword as a One-Handed weapon and the quarterstaff as a Two-Handed weapon, for some reason. It seems more reasonable to treat them both the same, treating them both as a One-Handed weapon and turning the quarterstaff into a 1d12/1d12 double weapon.

I'm not sure what the official answer would be, but at least you know where the discrepancy is coming from.

A - 64: You've explained why the math is actually correct. A Double Sword is two one-handed halves while a Quarterstaff is, initially, a two-handed weapon. A feat modifies the Quarterstaff to let you treat it as a double weapon that's 1d8/1d8, and it gains defensive and offhand. The Character Builder doesn't seem to change the cards when you take the feat, but my guess now is that it still follows the 2H weapon progression.

Hzurr
2009-12-16, 11:02 AM
Q65 [4E]

If a Sorcerer took Sorcerous Blade channeling ("When you use any ranges sorcerer attack power through a dagger, you can use the power as a melee attack. If you do so, the attack power's range equals your melee reach"), as well as the At-Will power Acid Orb (which can be used as a ranged basic attack), does this mean that Acid Orb could become a melee basic attack?

Yakk
2009-12-16, 11:32 AM
Q65 [4E]

If a Sorcerer took Sorcerous Blade channeling ("When you use any ranges sorcerer attack power through a dagger, you can use the power as a melee attack. If you do so, the attack power's range equals your melee reach"), as well as the At-Will power Acid Orb (which can be used as a ranged basic attack), does this mean that Acid Orb could become a melee basic attack?
A65 This is ambiguous.

Basic Attack is a concept defined in the rules, with notes that it comes in the forms "Ranged" and "Melee". It also notes that powers saying "you must make a Ranged Basic Attack" don't let you make a Melee Basic attack.

The possible interpretations of the rules include "you now have a ranged basic attack that can be used in melee", "when used in melee, the power isn't ranged, so it cannot be used as a ranged basic attack, and no text makes it a melee basic attack", and "the ranged modifier to the description of acid orb wasn't significant -- it really makes acid orb a basic attack (that is in the ranged form). When turned into a melee attack, the form changes, turning it into a melee basic attack."

All of these are consistent with the exception-based design of 4e, but they differ in where which specific exception kicks in, and what text dominates what other text.

The 3rd interpretation (the most generous in a sense) relies on the fact that ranged/melee is "just the form" of the basic attack, and the basic attack rules state that the form restricts which one you can do when it says "you can make an ___ basic attack".

The 1st interpretation (the most messed up one) should probably be discarded: the feat modification from ranged to melee means that the attack is no longer ranged, which would seem to kick the ranged modifier out of ranged basic attack. And it could easily break the game in really strange ways.

Due to the multiple valid interpretations, you have fall back on meta-rules of 4e D&D:
In particular "when in doubt, let the player do it" and "if there are two interpretations, choose the one that doesn't break the game". Is there a combination that makes granting a sorcerer with blade channelling and acid orb particularly broken? So if no such problem exists, "when in doubt, let the player do it" applies, and interpretation 3 is reasonable.

Guinea Anubis
2009-12-16, 12:01 PM
Q65

This question comes up from are game last night. The Eladrin Racial Power, Fey Step lets you teleport. Part one - Are you forced to teleport with everything you have on or can you leave some stuff behind? Part two -If you are knocked prone can you use teleport to move and stand up?

The Eladrin in question was on the ground and handcuffed and wanted to teleport out of them and stand up at the same time.

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-12-16, 12:10 PM
A65

RAW:
Immobilized: Being immobilized doesn’t prevent you from teleporting. If you were immobilized because of a physical effect, such as a creature grabbing you, you can teleport away and are no longer immobilized or restrained, if applicable. If you were immobilized because of an effect on your mind or body, teleporting does not end that effect; you’re still immobilized when you reach your destination.

Since being handcuffed is not a "body effect" (which I understand to mean something like the paralizing touch of an undead), but a physical restraint, RAW allows him to teleport out of it.

As to getting up, I would say no. Standing up is an action, and teleporting is another. If you teleport standing up, you arrive standing up. So I'd say he can teleport, is no longer handcuffed but remains prone (but can think of no RAW to support my position).

Grey Wolf

Guinea Anubis
2009-12-16, 12:16 PM
Thank you I missed that little bit in the book.

As to getting up, I would say no. Standing up is an action, and teleporting is another. If you teleport standing up, you arrive standing up. So I'd say he can teleport, is no longer handcuffed but remains prone (but can think of no RAW to support my position).

Grey Wolf

This is also how we said it should work since. Standing up in a move action and teleporting in a move action and doing two things for one move action did not feel right. Even if "it works for Night Crawler"

Faleldir
2009-12-16, 10:05 PM
Q 66
When using Footwork Lure, if you can shift 2 squares, does "the space you left" refer to "the last space out of which you shifted" or "the space you occupied when you hit"?

erikun
2009-12-16, 10:17 PM
Since it was missed last time (renumbered for ease of reference):

Q 67:

If you are wielding a weapon as an implement, do the weapon's properities apply to your [Implement] powers?

For example, a Wizard which has taken Arcane Implement Expertise (Heavy Blade). If he is wielding a Khopesh (Brutal 1), do all his implement spells gain Brutal 1? If he takes the Deadly Axe feat (high crit), do all his implement spells gain the High Crit properity?

Guinea Anubis
2009-12-16, 11:34 PM
Since it was missed last time (renumbered for ease of reference):

Q 67:

A 67
I would say yes.

Edit: I was wrong, it is No.

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-12-16, 11:44 PM
A 67
I would say yes.

I'd say no. But can't think of RAW, or would've posted already. But it makes no sense - the properties of an item as a weapon and as an implement are kept separate.

Grey Wolf

Guinea Anubis
2009-12-16, 11:48 PM
I'd say no. But can't think of RAW, or would've posted already. But it makes no sense - the properties of an item as a weapon and as an implement are kept separate.

Grey Wolf

You are right, I was going with my guy and my gut was wrong.

Page 8 of Adventure's Vault

Brutal: A brutal weapon’s minimum damage is
higher than that of a normal weapon. When rolling
the weapon’s damage, reroll any die that displays a
value equal to or lower than the brutal value given
for the weapon. Reroll the die until the value shown
exceeds the weapon’s brutal value, and then use the
new value.
For example, the execution axe has a property of
brutal 2. If a fighter wielding this weapon hits with
steel serpent strike (a 2[W] power), the player rolls
2d12 for the weapon damage, rerolling a die result of
1 or 2 until the die shows 3 or higher.

Since a Wizard's powers do not have [W], the weapon will not give the power its properties.

Guinea Anubis
2009-12-18, 09:15 AM
Q 68 If you use a frost weapon as your arcane implement as a wizard and use it to summon something does the damge of the summoned thing become cold damage?

Faleldir
2009-12-18, 09:22 AM
Q 66
Stop ignoring me! I posted this question twice!

Guinea Anubis
2009-12-18, 09:47 AM
How are you shifting two squares since the power says you can only shift one?

A 66
Based on the Dec 2009 Update the power says

You can shift 1 square and slide the target 1 square into the space you left.

Since you can only slide the target 1 square it would have to be after your first shift.

Also way to be rude.

Faleldir
2009-12-18, 10:08 AM
Mark Of Passage and/or Fluttering Leaf Style. And I don't understand your logic. What does the distance of forced movement have to do with when it happens?

dsmiles
2009-12-18, 10:18 AM
Q 68 If you use a frost weapon as your arcane implement as a wizard and use it to summon something does the damge of the summoned thing become cold damage?

A68

If you are a member of a class that can use a wand as an implement, you can apply the enhancement bonus of a wand to the attack rolls and the damage rolls of any of your powers from that class that have the implement keyword, and you can use a wand’s properties and powers.

However, you must be a member of a class that can use a staff as an implement to apply the enhancement bonus of a staff to the attack rolls and the damage rolls of any of your powers from that class that have the implement keyword and to use a staff ’s properties and powers.

If you are a member of a class that can use a rod as an implement, you can apply its enhancement bonus to the attack and damage rolls of any of your powers from that class that have the implement keyword, and you can use a rod’s properties and powers.

If you are a member of a class that can use an orb as an implement, you can apply the enhancement bonus of an orb to the attack rolls and the damage rolls of any of your powers from that class that have the implement keyword, and you can use an orb’s properties and powers.

I don't think so. It looks like just enchancement bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls from Implement powers.

Guinea Anubis
2009-12-18, 10:23 AM
Mark Of Passage and/or Fluttering Leaf Style. And I don't understand your logic. What does the distance of forced movement have to do with when it happens?

Ok Mark Of Passage and/or Fluttering Leaf Style lets you move/shift extra. They do not say anything about the target.

So since the power still says
You can shift 1 square and slide the target 1 square into the space you left. I would say you shift 1 square then you slide the target 1 square, then you add on Mark Of Passage and/or Fluttering Leaf Style.

tcrudisi
2009-12-18, 10:28 AM
A68

I don't think so. It looks like just enchancement bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls from Implement powers.

You are both correct and incorrect DSmiles. What you have posted is 100% correct, according to the PHB. However, in a recent Sorcerer Essentials article from Dragon #381, one of the head guys for 4e suggested using a Radiant weapon to change your damage to Radiant. Here's a direct copy/paste from that article:

Similarly, a cosmic sorcerer who spends a good deal of time in phase of the stars could use a radiant weapon dagger to change the damage dealt by his or her spells to radiant damage.

And a fyi - Rob Heinsoo is the lead designer for 4e.

Since this article came out, CustServ (who is not a reliable source, admittedly) have started singing a different tune concerning this question. They have started to say that you can use a Frost Dagger to turn your spells into Cold damage, for instance.

Basically, at this point, it's a DM call. There's no hard-and-fast ruling on it, but it is expected that the PHB3 will clear this up.

Guinea Anubis
2009-12-18, 10:32 AM
A68

There is a feat in Arcane Power, Arcane Implement Proficiency that lets you take training in another arcane classes implement.

The idea is you use that feat and pick lets say Heavy Blades from Sword Mages. You can now use a Long Sword as an Implement for your spells as a wizard. Next you get a Frost long sword and based on the dragon magazine article you can now have all your powers do cold damage.

So the question is still does a Summoned things damge become cold based?

Faleldir
2009-12-18, 11:01 AM
Do I have to draw a diagram?
M=me, T=target

# # #
# T #
# M # The attack hits.

# # #
# T M
# # # I shift one square.

# # M
# T #
# # # I use Fluttering Leaf Style to shift again, ending my movement adjacent to the target.

# # M
# # T
# # # I slide the target one square into the square I just left.

TheCountAlucard
2009-12-24, 08:17 AM
These are some questions involving Exalted, second edition...

Q 69

Solar Hero Form says, "This Charm allows the Exalt to count the successes of unarmed Martial Arts attacks twice for the purposes of determining damage."

So, when I roll my Martial Arts attack, do I double my successes on the attack before or after subtracting my target's Dodge/Parry DV?

Q 70

If I use the Lightning Speed charm, which "increases the distance I can cover with a Move or Dash action by my Athletics score in yards," does that also improve my jumping distance?

Q 71

Can I use Mountain-Crossing Leap Technique while grappling, and if I do, how would it work? Would I automatically break free of the clinch, or would the opponent go soaring up into the air with me? If he goes up with me, would dropping him cause me to start falling instead of "safely completing a jump?"

Q 72

Still related to Mountain-Crossing Leap Technique: If I were to start falling as a result of being forced to take a non-Reflexive action in mid-air, and I had something I could theoretically establish solid footing on (thank you, Graceful Crane Stance!), could I stand on it and use Mountain-Crossing Leap Technique again to save myself? :smalleek:

FoE
2009-12-28, 02:24 AM
This is a 4E question relating to the stupid Shaman class.

Q 73: If a Spirit Companion is attacked, does it use the Shaman's defences?

KillianHawkeye
2009-12-28, 02:31 AM
A 73 Yes.

The spirit companion is a conjuration. As stated on p.220, if a conjuration can be attacked it uses your own defenses.

TheCountAlucard
2010-01-01, 11:23 AM
These are some questions involving Exalted, second edition...

Q 69

Solar Hero Form says, "This Charm allows the Exalt to count the successes of unarmed Martial Arts attacks twice for the purposes of determining damage."

So, when I roll my Martial Arts attack, do I double my successes on the attack before or after subtracting my target's Dodge/Parry DV?

Q 70

If I use the Lightning Speed charm, which "increases the distance I can cover with a Move or Dash action by my Athletics score in yards," does that also improve my jumping distance?

Q 71

Can I use Mountain-Crossing Leap Technique while grappling, and if I do, how would it work? Would I automatically break free of the clinch, or would the opponent go soaring up into the air with me? If he goes up with me, would dropping him cause me to start falling instead of "safely completing a jump?"

Q 72

Still related to Mountain-Crossing Leap Technique: If I were to start falling as a result of being forced to take a non-Reflexive action in mid-air, and I had something I could theoretically establish solid footing on (thank you, Graceful Crane Stance!), could I stand on it and use Mountain-Crossing Leap Technique again to save myself? :smalleek:

I suppose that 72 would probably fall under the conditions of a stunt, but can I get some answers for the others?

Dimers
2010-01-04, 10:15 AM
Q 74

I want to use a pact blade in conjunction with the Daggermaster class feature "Dagger Precision" to get crits on 18-20 when using warlock powers (multiclass warlock/rogue). The prestige path itself doesn't say anything about only working with weapon-keyword powers, and there's nothing in the latest errata. Does RAW nix my plan somewhere else in the book?

Yakk
2010-01-04, 12:57 PM
Q 74

I want to use a pact blade in conjunction with the Daggermaster class feature "Dagger Precision" to get crits on 18-20 when using warlock powers (multiclass warlock/rogue). The prestige path itself doesn't say anything about only working with weapon-keyword powers, and there's nothing in the latest errata. Does RAW nix my plan somewhere else in the book?
No.

Note that you can take Arcane Implement Proficiency (light blades) and be able to use any dagger, instead of just a pact blade, in a world that contains swordmages.

Kaziel
2010-01-07, 06:26 PM
Q 75
D&D 4th Ed.

This is a bit of a hard one since it's not in any book:

The new class added in Dragon Magazine, the Assassin, has a new type of attack. The exact wording of said attack is this:

Attack: (stat) vs. (defense type). Make three attack rolls, and if any of them hit, resolve them as a single hit.
How many hits you make decide how many dice worth of damage are done.

My question is if one or two of the dice are hits and the other one is a crit, how do you resolve damage? Are all the dice maximized, or only one?

Dekkah
2010-01-07, 06:57 PM
Q 76 : If you are dazed, can you spend an action point?
If so, must that action be the different (move, standard or minor)?

Q 77 : Can a phasing character be droped prone? Is so, what happen with flying and phasing (do he fall in the ground). Also, if phasing and flying (wraith) monster can be knocked prone, can he simply walk away (theoricaly, he can move foward in the direction he is facing) or must he stand up first?

Gralamin
2010-01-07, 07:13 PM
A 75
All Dice are maximized, since additional hits explicitly changes the damage of an attack.

A 76
Yes, you may. That Action functions as normal.

A 77
Yes. Being knocked prone while flying always causes you to crash, whether you are phasing or not. A Wraith would have to stand up first.
This question seems to stem from not knowing the phasing rules. Phasing is defined as:

While phasing, a creature ignores difficult terrain and can move through obstacles and other creatures, but it must end its movement in an unoccupied space.
So, all phasing allows you to do is move through creatures and obstacles. Obstacles are defined as:

Like difficult terrain, obstacles can hamper movement.

Obstacles Filling Squares: An obstacle such as a large tree, a pillar, or a floor-to-ceiling wall blocks a square entirely by completely filling it. You can’t enter a square that is filled by an obstacle.

Corners:When an obstacle fills a square, you can’t move diagonally across the corner of that square.

Obstacles Between Squares: Some obstacles run along the edges of squares instead of through squares. An obstacle such as a low wall between two squares makes moving from one square to the other just like entering a square of difficult terrain, even if the squares on each side of the wall are not difficult.
So, a phasing creature can move through other creatures, trees, pilliars, floor-to-ceiling wall blocks, low walls, etc. They can not move through the ground, for instance.

Mooch
2010-01-11, 11:38 PM
Q 78
4e
In primal power the barbarian power feral rejuvenation is a daily power, in the barbarian handbook it is referred to as an encounter power, was there an errata I missed or is this simply a mistake of the handbook author?

Gralamin
2010-01-11, 11:42 PM
Q 78
4e
In primal power the barbarian power feral rejuvenation is a daily power, in the barbarian handbook it is referred to as an encounter power, was there an errata I missed or is this simply a mistake of the handbook author?

A 78
Feral Rejuvenation is an daily utility power. It is miscolored in the compendium as being an encounter, while still stating it is a daily, thus leading to the authors confusion.

Dekkah
2010-01-12, 10:51 AM
Q 79 : When a creature wich is flying is knocked prone, the rules say that it crash and immediatly fall his speed. If he reach the ground with this, he land "safely", if not he fall. The question is what means safely?. I am sure it means it doesnt take damage, but is the creature prone or standing?

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-01-12, 10:56 AM
A 79

Prone and undamaged. Notice that falling is a consequence of being prone, not a solution to it. To recover from prone, you need to spend a move action to stand up, and a flying creature is no exception.

Grey Wolf

Ravens_cry
2010-01-12, 05:23 PM
Q80 Pathfinder
Can you use the extra attack from Haste to do something else that requires a standard action?

Mauril Everleaf
2010-01-12, 11:49 PM
A 80 No, as the extra attack is only available on a full attack. "When making a full attack action, a hasted creature may make one extra attack with any weapon he is holding." It doesn't give you an extra standard action, it just gives you some extra movement, an extra attack only on a full attack, and some other sundry bonuses.

Ravens_cry
2010-01-12, 11:57 PM
Too bad. But thanks anyway for taking the time to answer this.:smallsmile:

Dekkah
2010-01-13, 01:13 PM
Q 81 : I just noticed something strange in a cleric power :
Hymn of Resurgence :
Hit : The target takes -2 penalty to all defenses. When an ally hits the target before the end of your next turn, the target is knocked prone until the end of your next turn. So if someone hit it, he drop prone, that is ok to me. But if the target play before the cleric, he cant stand up since the cleric next turn didnt happen yet? Is this correct or do I misunderstand something?
Might be a simple wording error as well tough, but my print of this is from an up to date builder.

EDIT : I also just noticed that there isnt a ending to the penalty.... so i guess it is just a wording error : the last UENT should go with the -2 penalty

Theodoric
2010-01-13, 01:35 PM
A81
That has been errata'ed. :smallwink: link here (http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/updates)

Faleldir
2010-01-13, 11:00 PM
Q 82 (4e)
(I don't know how much you can tell me legally, but I hope I at least get a yes or no.)
Is there a 1st-level at-will attack power, in any official source, that allows you to teleport a specific distance?

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-01-13, 11:03 PM
Q 82 (4e)
(I don't know how much you can tell me legally, but I hope I at least get a yes or no.)
Is there a 1st-level at-will attack power, in any official source, that allows you to teleport a specific distance?

This question is not really about RAW, and thus is against thread rules. I suggest you post it elsewhere in the forum.

Grey Wolf

Touchy
2010-01-13, 11:15 PM
Q 83 4e

May enemies spend action points? If so please point out where it states this. As if I can prove to my DM that they can not(Because he claims that "If it doesn't state it, it doesn't mean they can't), if I can prove this, I get a level-5 magical weapon of his choosing apparently.

Faleldir
2010-01-13, 11:23 PM
This question is not really about RAW, and thus is against thread rules. I suggest you post it elsewhere in the forum.

Grey Wolf
I am replying to show that I understood your comment. I did a bit of research while I was waiting, and the power I thought I had heard of turned out to be entirely different. There is no longer any need to answer my question. Stop answering question 82 immediately. I don't want to derail the thread.

Mauril Everleaf
2010-01-13, 11:35 PM
A 83 They can. Well, they can if they have them. Unless things have changed since I last looked, pretty much only elites and solos have action points. If they have them, they can use them. Some creatures even have extra bonuses when they spend an action point (much like players).

However, if the level 5 magic item is any indication, I can't think of any creatures at that level that have action points.

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-01-13, 11:35 PM
A 83

They can, but most enemies don't have action points to spend - only some specific monsters (usually in the elite and solo category) have an action point to spend. Of course, a DM can always give out some action points to any monster he chooses.

From the DM guide (page 185): "5. Add 1 Action Point: All elite monsters have 1 action point."

Obviously, since they have action points, they can use them.

Grey Wolf

oxinabox
2010-01-14, 07:26 AM
Q84 nWod
how does armour work, compaired to defense?
DOes armour degrage a sword blow from lethal to bashing?

Q85 nWod
What are the Rules for doing bashing (nonleathal) damage with say a sword (normally does Lethal)?
In Sparring for example.

Dimers
2010-01-14, 08:10 PM
Q84 nWod
how does armour work, compaired to defense?
DOes armour degrage a sword blow from lethal to bashing?

Q85 nWod
What are the Rules for doing bashing (nonleathal) damage with say a sword (normally does Lethal)?
In Sparring for example.

A84 Armor always applies its penalty to the attacker's dice pool, not decreasing over time like defense does. Armor works even if you attack madly, removing your defense to get a +2 to hit. Some kinds of modern armor downgrade gunshot wounds from lethal to bashing (which types do this are marked on the chart in the main book), but none downgrade all lethal to bashing.

A85 There aren't rules listed for that in any book I've read.

Epinephrine
2010-01-16, 08:55 AM
Q86 [Pathfinder] How does a metamagic spell cast by a spontaneous caster resolve?

Relevant text is:

"If the spell’s normal casting time is a standard action, casting a metamagic version is a full-round action for a sorcerer or bard. (This isn’t the same as a 1-round casting time.)" (emphasis mine)

Under casting time, the rules explain: "A spell that takes 1 round to cast is a full-round action. It comes into effect just before the beginning of your turn in the round after you began casting the spell. You then act normally after the spell is completed."

So 1-round is described as being a full-round action, with the spell resolving just before your next turn.
A metamagic (std. action) spell is also a full-round action, but isn't the same as a 1-round casting time.

Does this mean that it resolves at the end of a full-round action (like a full attack, in essence)? So normally one could take a move action and then cast, but using metamagic one uses both the move and standard?

Telok
2010-01-16, 08:58 AM
Q. 87 4e D&D. Is there any RAW about pulling blows and doing less damage with powers?

The use for this is to use move powers on lower level mooks that have annoying death effects (burst 1, blindness, save ends, as an example) without killing them right next to someone.

KillianHawkeye
2010-01-16, 09:24 AM
A 86

Yes, the spell is cast at the end of your full-round action. That's exactly how it works in D&D 3.X as well.

Mando Knight
2010-01-16, 11:51 AM
A 87 When you reduce an opponent to 0 HP, you can choose to make the attack nonlethal and knock it unconscious instead. (PHB 1, page 295)

Telok
2010-01-17, 08:05 AM
R. 87 4e does not discriminate between unconscious and dead at 0 hit points for powers. Perhaps my use of the term "death effect" was misleading. I'm trying to do less damage, not avoid killing. PH and DMG didn't offer anything useful that I could find.

Is there any RAW way to do less damage with a power than you are entitled to?

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-01-17, 08:16 AM
A. 87

No, there isn't a way to make (or roll) less damage, except using a smaller weapon.

Grey Wolf

Dimers
2010-01-19, 02:47 PM
Q 88 (D&D 4th edition)

Is it permissible to push, pull, slide, or teleport other creatures vertically as well as horizontally? For instance, can a warlock use summons of Khirad to teleport an enemy 15 feet up in the air?

Theodoric
2010-01-19, 02:58 PM
Q 88 (D&D 4th edition)

Is it permissible to push, pull, slide, or teleport other creatures vertically as well as horizontally? For instance, can a warlock use summons of Khirad to teleport an enemy 15 feet up in the air?
"Clear Path: Forced movement can’t move a target
into a space it couldn’t enter by walking. The target
can’t be forced into an obstacle or made to squeeze
into a space."
, to quote the section on push, pull and slide. Though teleporting an enemy into the air (except, ofcourse, if there's a precipice nearby) isn't really that useful, as monster HP is high enough that any teleportation doesn't outright kill the enemy by the time you get to the teleport-enemy rules. Doing 2d10 damage isn't worth it if the enemy has 300 HP, and is a waste of a teleportation spell that could've moved him to a more comfortable or advantageous position.

Yakk
2010-01-19, 03:11 PM
A 88: You can only teleport to a surface, not into the air. This also applies when you teleport enemies.

Dimers
2010-01-19, 03:16 PM
A 88: You can only teleport to a surface, not into the air. This also applies when you teleport enemies.

Ummm ... does that mean you can't teleport while flying far above the ground?

Theodoric
2010-01-19, 03:42 PM
Ehm, guys, the new errata's up; and it has the following things to say about teleportation:
"Destination: Your destination must be a space
you can occupy without squeezing. If arriving in
the destination space would cause the target to fall
or if that space is hindering terrain, the target can
make a saving throw. On a save, the teleportation is
negated."

Dekkah
2010-01-21, 05:31 PM
Q 89 : Beholder Death Tyran aura read as follow : Aura 5 : the beholder death tyrant uses one random eye ray as a free action against any enemy within the aura at the start of the enemy’s turn.

The question is, does this count as an attack for mark purpose? If so, does he takes the -2 to hit others than the player who marked it and can it trigger the mark ability (since that atack does not include the player who marked it - attack an allly on their turn)?

Mando Knight
2010-01-21, 05:45 PM
A 89 It's a free-action attack. Eye Rays is an attack power, so any ability that triggers the power makes an attack. The aura itself isn't an attack, though, just a means of triggering extra attacks.

Dekkah
2010-01-21, 11:59 PM
Q 90 : Can you coup de grace a Gargoyle in stone form?

Yakk
2010-01-22, 12:09 AM
A 90 Yes, if you rendered it helpless through some other means. Stone Form does not render the gargoyle helpless by RAW, nor does it reduce the Gargoyles defences.

The J Pizzel
2010-01-24, 09:03 AM
Q91

Does the feat Defenstive Mobility grant a +2 to all OA's, or just ones provoked my movement? If all, would that include the OA for casting a ranged spell in melee, etc? It doens't explicitly say anything about movement. But I kinda feel like it was meant that way. Bad wording?

Break
2010-01-24, 09:06 AM
A 90: If it doesn't specify - and it doesn't, as you said - then it indeed applies to all opportunity attacks, not just those from movement.

The J Pizzel
2010-01-24, 09:13 AM
Thanks.

Q92
Last session, while someone wasy dying. A player pulled this little stunt. He used the Heal skill to stabilize the dying. Then next round used the Heal skill to "grant a saving throw". He claimed it would work becuase the wording says "without the character having to use an action". I didn't feel like this was valid, but I didn't worry about it too much during the game cause it was a big fight and I wanted to keep the momentum going. I told him during the smoke break I'd look into it.

Was that legal?

Yakk
2010-01-24, 11:19 AM
A92
Yes. In fact, if the saving throw failed, there would be no negative consequences (as bonus saving throws that fail don't count).

Tehnar
2010-01-24, 11:42 AM
Q 93

Where does it say that bonus saving throws (such as from a power) don't count if you fail them?

The J Pizzel
2010-01-24, 12:21 PM
Q 92 edit

Yeah. I definitely wrote that wong. Sorry. He used the heal skill to stabilize him, then used the heal skill to "use second wind". This use allows an adj character to use their second wind without having to take any actions. That's what I meant. Was that legal? I know it say, "without taking any actions", but I would assume you still have to be concious to use right?

Yakk
2010-01-24, 01:54 PM
A 93: pg219 of the PHB2 (based off google search)

A 92: The second wind is used without the target taking an action. So long as their second wind hasn't been used, they get back up.

Gralamin
2010-01-24, 02:06 PM
A 93 Correction

PHB2 219 only states that you do not change effects due to "First Failed Saving Throw" or a "Second Failed Saving Throw" unless the saving throw was made at the end of your turn.

This means that, for instance if there was a "Dazed (Save Ends) and each time you fail the saving throw you take 5 damage." You would still take the 5 damage.

Katana_Geldar
2010-01-25, 08:02 PM
Q 93

I've been trying to find out some rules for flying with my Invoker's Angel of Fire. Does flying trigger opportunity attacks? And can the angel hover over an ally and cast?

Mando Knight
2010-01-25, 08:25 PM
A 94 Flight provokes attacks of opportunity (DMG p.47), though shifting with hovering flight won't (you can only shift while flying if you can hover), as usual. If the provoked opponent is also flying, it won't be able to take advantage of the opportunity attack unless it can also hover.

Theoretically, reach extends the same number of squares vertically as it does horizontally, so unless your DM says otherwise, the angel can use its attacks while hovering above an ally. (D&D has never been designed with highly technical 3D combat as a primary concern...)

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-01-25, 08:26 PM
Q 93

I've been trying to find out some rules for flying with my Invoker's Angel of Fire. Does flying trigger opportunity attacks? And can the angel hover over an ally and cast?

Flying is like any other movement, and thus if he flies past an occupied square (or starts next to another and flies away), he would cause opportunity attacks. He can hover over someone and cast, too, although if you hover over an ally (as you suggest in the question), he'd get hit since the standard action attack is "targets each creature".

You can find the rules for flying in the DM book (page 47).

Grey Wolf

SurlySeraph
2010-01-25, 09:18 PM
Q 95 (DnD 3.5)

When combining Pounce and a maneuver that adds damage to a charge attack (such as Battle Leader's Charge or Leading the Charge), do you add the damage to every attack you make or only the first?

EDIT: Ah, sorry I didn't notice.

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-01-25, 09:40 PM
Q 95 (DnD 3.5)

When combining Pounce and a maneuver that adds damage to a charge attack (such as Battle Leader's Charge or Leading the Charge), do you add the damage to every attack you make or only the first?

(DnD 3.5 has its own thread. You may want to post it there.)

GW

Katana_Geldar
2010-01-30, 03:07 AM
Q 96

What are the statistics for doors and where can I find them written up?

Mando Knight
2010-01-30, 03:17 PM
A 96
A door's statistics are calculated in DMG1, on pages 64 and 65. DCs to break down doors are on 64, and on 65 are object properties and material HP multipliers. Most doors are medium objects.

Mooch
2010-02-02, 03:29 AM
Q 97
Looking for the source of the Weapon Master feat, I have found reference to Dragon 382 but I could not find it that issue nor can I find it in the character creator with the January update.

Nightson
2010-02-02, 03:36 AM
A 97

Class Acts: Fighter in issue 382

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/downloads/dragon/382/382_CA_Fighter.pdf

Mando Knight
2010-02-02, 09:19 AM
Q 97
Looking for the source of the Weapon Master feat, I have found reference to Dragon 382 but I could not find it that issue nor can I find it in the character creator with the January update.

The January update to the Character Builder only goes to Dragon 381.

nyjastul69
2010-02-06, 11:59 PM
Q 98

What is the effect of a healing surge loss, say from a wight's attack, if the character has 0 healing surges left?

Dimers
2010-02-07, 12:27 AM
Q 99, D&D 4e

Do you gain a hit point each time your Constitution increases, since the initial value is based on Con?

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-02-07, 12:29 AM
Q 98

What is the effect of a healing surge loss, say from a wight's attack, if the character has 0 healing surges left?

A 98

As far as I can tell, there would be no effect

Q 99, D&D 4e

Do you gain a hit point each time your Constitution increases, since the initial value is based on Con?

A 99

Yes.

Grey Wolf

mrmaxmrmax
2010-02-08, 10:19 AM
Q 100

When you get to 13th level, can you retrain your paragon path encounter power with a level 7 power from your class?

More generally, can you retrain paragon path powers?

Maxwell.

Dimers
2010-02-08, 10:48 AM
A 100

Nope. Page 28 of the PHB: "You can't replace a power that's a class feature (such as a cleric's healing word or a warlock's eldritch blast) or a power gained from a paragon path or epic destiny."

Like the special abilities of each class, listed before the power descriptions, paragon and epic special abilities are immutable. And in case you were wondering, you can't retrain racial powers either. Those four things (race, base class, paragon path, epic destiny) form your character's outline, to be fine-tuned with feats and power selections.

Zombimode
2010-02-09, 05:13 AM
D&D 4e

Q 101

How does forced movement affect larger creatures?
If say a large creature would be target of a push 1 effect, would it be pushed one square away from the pusher, or is the push ineffective (because with every move a large creature moves 2 squares)?

Q 102

How does the Wizard power "Blood pulse" (or better: the "take 1d6 damage for every leaving square" part of the power) work on larger creatures?
If a large creature under the Blood pulse effect moves for 1, does it take 1d6 or 2d6 damage (because it technicaly leaves two squares)?

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-02-09, 10:36 AM
Q 101

How does forced movement affect larger creatures?
If say a large creature would be target of a push 1 effect, would it be pushed one square away from the pusher, or is the push ineffective (because with every move a large creature moves 2 squares)?

A 101
It would push it one square away. And you are wrong, a large creature moves one square at a time. See the example on PH page 283. Yes, they occupy two new squares when they move forward, but they have move forward only one square ("square", in this context, is a measure of distance, not of surface).

Q 102

How does the Wizard power "Blood pulse" (or better: the "take 1d6 damage for every leaving square" part of the power) work on larger creatures?
If a large creature under the Blood pulse effect moves for 1, does it take 1d6 or 2d6 damage (because it technicaly leaves two squares)?

A 102

See above. It affects it normally, because it moves normally.

Grey Wolf

Dimers
2010-02-10, 07:34 PM
Q 103, D&D 4e

Are conjurations considered allies? I can't find an in-game definition for "ally", and conjurations have some ally-like properties (favoring your side in a battle, for example). The closest I've come to disproving this using game material is the fact that a spirit companion can't flank without your use of a special power, and even that could just be explained by the fact that the spirit companion can't attack.

Mando Knight
2010-02-10, 09:13 PM
A 103
Conjurations are not creatures, and do not count as allies or enemies for flanking or are valid targets for attacks unless the text of the conjuration's power states otherwise.

Hzurr
2010-02-11, 05:31 PM
Q104 - D&D 4E

What's the difference between a Paladin's divine sanction and a divine challenge? Can both be on the same target? Do both impose the marked condition?

Mando Knight
2010-02-11, 06:01 PM
A 104
Both impose the Marked condition, and thus one will overwrite the other. They also follow the same basic damage progression, but are not considered the same ability for feats, powers, etc. Divine Sanction carries none of the restrictions on Divine Challenge (other than that only one mark can be placed on a target at a time), but has a limited duration defined by the power imposing the Sanction.

Yakk
2010-02-11, 06:27 PM
A 102
Technically, the creature leaves more than 1 square when it moves 1 square. However, the power was errata'd, quite rightly. Well, I'm not sure if it was an errata as much as a FAQ / Q&A. As it was both a wizards answer, and the alternative breaks the game, following the answer is reasonable.

Dimers
2010-02-12, 09:20 PM
Q 105, D&D 4e

The 5th-level sorcerer daily spell Thunder Leap involves two close burst attacks which will usually not originate from the same place (at least according to the flavor text). The mechanical part of the entry doesn't give a separate attack type and range entry for the secondary attack, which to my way of thinking means it always originates from the same place as the primary. Is there a rule somewhere that I've overlooked to clarify what this power is meant to do?

TheCountAlucard
2010-02-13, 06:11 AM
Q 106, Exalted 2e

Is there anything stopping a character from taking One Hand Fury (MoEP: Infernals, p. 161) twice, once for each hand?

Dekkah
2010-02-13, 01:47 PM
Q 107 , DND 4.0 :
To use an alchemical item (such as an alchemist's fire form AV1), must you have the Alchemist feat or does anyone can use these item?

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-02-13, 04:01 PM
Q 107 , DND 4.0 :
To use an alchemical item (such as an alchemist's fire form AV1), must you have the Alchemist feat or does anyone can use these item?

A 107

Anyone can use them.

Grey Wolf

mathewt
2010-02-15, 11:36 AM
A 105

The power lists an effect under the first hit stating that you jump speed + CHA mod squares (not provoking OAs) before making the secondary attack. I suppose you could jump in place, but the point seems to be burst, jump, burst again.

Faleldir
2010-02-23, 08:53 PM
Q 108
Does Rampant Fury (PP) do nothing? Rampage only applies to Barbarian powers.

RedBeardJim
2010-02-23, 09:05 PM
Q 108
Does Rampant Fury (PP) do nothing? Rampage only applies to Barbarian powers.

Rampant Fury is part of the Barbarian multiclassing feat set, so if you've used power-swap feats to take some Barbarian powers (or are a half-elf who picked one up with Dilettante) you can now use Rampage with them.

oxinabox
2010-02-25, 05:05 AM
Q31 4e dnd
What is the starting gold + Magic items for 4e.
is it some amount of gold, plus a magic item of your lvl, a magic item for the level above you, and a magic item for the level below you.
is there a rule for swapping your magic item for a expenve but mundane item (eg a dire wolf mount)

esoteric scribe
2010-02-25, 06:14 AM
Q 109 d20 Modern

The Martial Artist advanced class is stated to have "no such thing as an off-hand attack". Does this mean a Martial Artist does full strength on each unarmed strike when coupled with Two-Weapon Fighting, as opposed to 1/2 strength as per normal TWF rules?

Does the "no such thing as an off-hand attack" prevent the Martial Artist from taking Improved & Advanced Two-Weapon Fighting, which grant off-hand attacks?

RedBeardJim
2010-02-25, 07:22 AM
Q31 4e dnd
What is the starting gold + Magic items for 4e.
is it some amount of gold, plus a magic item of your lvl, a magic item for the level above you, and a magic item for the level below you.
is there a rule for swapping your magic item for a expenve but mundane item (eg a dire wolf mount)

For starting at a higher level, characters should start out with one magic item of their level +1, one item of their level, and one item of their level -1, plus gold equal to the value of an item of their level -1. (DMG, p. 143) There are no specific rules for substituting a mount for one of the items, but that would likely be "DM's discretion".

Dekkah
2010-02-25, 02:27 PM
Q 110 : Some implements (I seen many holy symbol like this) have some Daily iems power that does not require you to use it as an implement (you dont need to attack of hit with it). Can any character use these powers?

Tehnar
2010-02-27, 12:42 PM
Q 111

Do powers, that do not require a attack roll, still add static bonuses to their attack code? For example does a character with weapon focus deal 1[W] or 1[W]+1 damage with Rain of Steel?

If they don't get to add static bonuses, where is that rule?

Vulkarius
2010-02-27, 11:29 PM
Q 112

What exactly coounts as an attack? I.E. You make an attack roll but it does not deal damage?(not that it misses but that it does no damage on ahit)
Or does it have to deal damage to count as an attack?

tcrudisi
2010-02-28, 06:00 AM
Q 112

What exactly counts as an attack? I.E. You make an attack roll but it does not deal damage?(not that it misses but that it does no damage on a hit)

A112 Any time you make an attack roll it is an attack. For instance, the Wizard daily 1 spell Sleep is still an attack. If you were to cast Sleep on 3 people, it is 3 separate attacks. Please note that in order to apply static modifier damages, you must make a damage roll. For instance, if you had Weapon Focus (staff) and you were casting Sleep through a staff, then you do not do 1 damage when you put them to sleep. Likewise, if you crit, you do not get the critical damage on a non-damaging attack. (This is good news for Pacifist Clerics).

Kurald Galain
2010-02-28, 06:50 AM
Q 110 : Some implements (I seen many holy symbol like this) have some Daily iems power that does not require you to use it as an implement (you dont need to attack of hit with it). Can any character use these powers?
A 110. No; according to the PHB description of implements, you need to be a member of a class that can use them as implements. "Members of other classes gain no benefit from " (a rod, holy symbol, etc)

Q 111
Do powers, that do not require a attack roll, still add static bonuses to their attack code? For example does a character with weapon focus deal 1[W] or 1[W]+1 damage with Rain of Steel?

If they don't get to add static bonuses, where is that rule?
A 111. Yes. A damage roll is (obviously) any time you roll for damage.

The notion that static bonuses only apply if you use an attack roll comes from certain people who think that e.g. Rain of Steel is overpowered otherwise; and while they may have a point in that, there is nothing in the rulebooks that states this.

Q 112

What exactly coounts as an attack? I.E. You make an attack roll but it does not deal damage?(not that it misses but that it does no damage on ahit)
A 112. Any time you use an attack power counts as an attack (even if the power doesn't require an attack roll). Note that per PHB 287, this includes basic attacks.

HPhage
2010-03-01, 08:37 AM
A 111. Yes. A damage roll is (obviously) any time you roll for damage.

The notion that static bonuses only apply if you use an attack roll comes from certain people who think that e.g. Rain of Steel is overpowered otherwise; and while they may have a point in that, there is nothing in the rulebooks that states this.

C 111

I'm confused by this. For clarification purposes Rain of Steel specifically states that "Any enemy that starts its turn adjacent to you takes 1[W] damage..." Furthermore the Character Builder (not always without it's faults but still) prints the power card as doing only the 1[W] damage, no additional damage applicable.

Mistake/bug in the CB perhaps?

tcrudisi
2010-03-01, 09:19 AM
C 111

I'm confused by this. For clarification purposes Rain of Steel specifically states that "Any enemy that starts its turn adjacent to you takes 1[W] damage..." Furthermore the Character Builder (not always without it's faults but still) prints the power card as doing only the 1[W] damage, no additional damage applicable.

Mistake/bug in the CB perhaps?

It's a mistake/bug in the CB. Per the Compendium (which uses errata):

Roll the damage indicated in the power description. If you’re using a weapon for the attack, the damage is some multiple of your weapon damage dice.

Add the ability modifier specified in the power description. Usually, this is the same ability modifier you used to determine your base attack bonus for the attack.

In addition, any of the following factors might apply to a damage roll:
• Racial or feat bonuses
• An enhancement bonus (usually from a magic weapon or an implement)
• An item bonus
• A power bonus
• Untyped bonuses

So per the Compendium, if you had weapon focus, that would get added to the damage roll of Rain of Steel. Of course, your DM is free to say otherwise (especially since Rain of Steel really is that good), but by RAW it is correct to add any damage modifiers.

mathewt
2010-03-04, 09:52 AM
Q 113

Monster attacks don't generally have a target listing (enemy, ally, creature, etc.) as far as I've seen. Does anything state whether all monster attacks are ally-safe or not (aka, does or doesn't hit other monsters)?

Yakk
2010-03-04, 11:34 AM
A 110:
"To use the powers and the properties of a magic implement, you must be able to wield that implement."
(Via PHB2)

Thajocoth
2010-03-04, 11:35 AM
Q 113

Monster attacks don't generally have a target listing (enemy, ally, creature, etc.) as far as I've seen. Does anything state whether all monster attacks are ally-safe or not (aka, does or doesn't hit other monsters)?

A 113 - If a monster attack only targets enemies, it specifies that in the ability. You assume that it targets everything in the blast/burst unless otherwise noted.

Thajocoth
2010-03-04, 03:31 PM
Q 114

A - If you have a weapon in each hand, can you choose to use your off-hand weapon for attacks instead of your main-hand weapon?

B - If yes, s there any penalty or downside to doing so? (Enhancement bonus, item dailies, ect...)

C - If you take the Ranger Multiclass Feat to wield one-handed weapons in your off-hand as if they were off-hand weapons, do you gain any other benefits you might get from other abilities that enhance off-handed weapon use?

Reason for question: Shock Trooper Paragon Path increases the die size of off-hand weapons.

Grey_Wolf_c
2010-03-04, 04:31 PM
A 114

A - If you have a weapon in each hand, can you choose to use your off-hand weapon for attacks instead of your main-hand weapon?
Yes, you can.

B - If yes, s there any penalty or downside to doing so? (Enhancement bonus, item dailies, ect...)
No, there isn't. If both weapons are magic items, you obviously use the enhancement of the one you are using. Daily powers follow the normal rule (only one/two/three every milestone).

C - If you take the Ranger Multiclass Feat to wield one-handed weapons in your off-hand as if they were off-hand weapons, do you gain any other benefits you might get from other abilities that enhance off-handed weapon use?
No, they remain one-handed weapons. You just ignore the limitation that you cannot wield them in your off-hand

Reason for question: Shock Trooper Paragon Path increases the die size of off-hand weapons.
Without having access to this Paragon Path, I'd say that the increase affects off-hand weapons, not weapons used in the off-hand. So it would affect a knife in your right hand, but not a sword in your left.

Grey Wolf

Thajocoth
2010-03-04, 04:55 PM
Q114b

Thanks a lot, Grey_Wolf_c. I accidentally asked a slightly different series of questions than I meant to ask though...

Does all of what I asked apply equally to a double weapon?

I was looking at the off-hand end of a spiked chain. Multiclass Spiked Chain = +3, 2d4/2d4, Reach. Add Bugbear (race) + Shock Trooper (Paragon) + Eternal Defender (Epic) = +3, 2d8/2d10, Reach 2. I don't plan on using this... I was just playing with the builder and got curious.

Faleldir
2010-03-05, 11:22 AM
Q 115
Do basic attacks granted by class powers count as class powers?