PDA

View Full Version : D&D webcam game.

Forbiddenwar
2009-08-31, 10:09 PM
I'm turning to the bright people in the playground for free advice. One of my players is going to a conference for 2 weeks and instead of the usual activities when playing without a character, the group was interested in setting up a skype and/or webcam game.
Have any of you played D&D via skype or webcam or both? Iwas thinking of setting up VOIP skype so he can hear everything and a webcam set to the play mat so he can see the monitures.
Any advice how to use a webcam in this matter? I have Zero experience with webcams and near Zero experience with skype. Does skype have a webcam hosting system?

NecroPaladin
2009-08-31, 10:12 PM
Instead of Skype I would suggest IVisit. It was designed for more utilitarian, corporate purposes than Skype so it, in my opinion, does a better job of connecting multiple people. The one downside is that you have to make/host your own chatroom.

Johanas
2009-08-31, 10:15 PM
I have a player going away for a couple weeks too. I actually have experience with Skype gaming, it works well, if you have a laptop. Bring the laptop over to the table, and just full screen the image. I will have to get back to you on this, but one of my players got together with him and found a way to show his rolls on screen too. I will see if it was a program. Which I think it was.

Carden
2009-08-31, 10:34 PM
Skype has an add-on called dice roller that you can download. It allows dice rolls to be generated on screen after being typed in some format that escapes me at the moment. However, it is prone to doubling the rolls generated, for some odd reason.

Korivan
2009-09-01, 09:27 AM
Our group tried skype one, seemed the person using the laptop and cam had problems getting it to conference two people at once. Definatly invest in a decent webcam. Also, helps if you have a microphone regardless, run a instant messeging program if you don't have a microphone, or the one your using isnt working out. After last time we tried this, we all pretty much agreed not to do it again. But we had problems running skype, crappy webcame, and no mic. Perhaps you'll have better luck.

vampire2948
2009-09-01, 09:40 AM
In addition to Skype, you could try using Vassal. Assuming you frequently use a board to display the placement of various things in relation to your characters in the game.

You can find Vassal here (http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php). And the relevant D&D related plugin here (http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php?option=com_vassal_modules&task=display&module_id=48).

Kyrthain
2009-09-01, 01:05 PM
I've done this with my cousins in Cincinnati a few times, and it worked pretty well. The game does run slower however (actually, this might just be because they were 24th level)

vollmond
2009-09-01, 01:08 PM
After moving across the country a few months ago, I use skype and maptool to play with my group from back home. They all get together in person as usual, and we set up skype with the webcams for telepresence. Maptool lets us share the board (since a webcam really sucks for map-sharing).

All in all it works well. Sound quality can be an issue, but it helps if the one remote person uses a headset (less chance of a feedback loop).

Shademan
2009-09-01, 04:29 PM
using GAMETABLE and some voice chat program works wonders. gametable has chat, dice makros and a built in maptool!

Forbiddenwar
2009-09-01, 04:36 PM
There has been a lot of suggestions for different tools, which sound good. Please provide links!

Shademan
2009-09-01, 05:13 PM
LINKS!?
is your google-fu weak?
*pulls mustache*
ho ho ho! weak google-fu lands you no respect.

:smallbiggrin:

Another_Poet
2009-09-01, 08:22 PM
LINKS!?
is your google-fu weak?
*pulls mustache*
ho ho ho! weak google-fu lands you no respect.

:smallbiggrin:

If you have to ask for links it is YOU who has weak google fu! Ha HA!

Shademan
2009-09-02, 04:47 AM
If you have to ask for links it is YOU who has weak google fu! Ha HA!

but I didn't ask for links...