PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Modes of Detection

EnnPeeCee
2009-08-31, 10:21 PM
Ok, so I was thinking it would be interesting to have a character that can basically detect everything near it.

First, what are all of the modes of detection, and other detection-like abilities?
Ones that I can think of:
Low Light Vision
Darkvision
Blindsense / Blindsight
Tremorsense
Mindsight
Detect ___
Lifesight

Second, how easy would it be for a character to gain as many of these abilities as possible, permanently preferably. (Also preferably without polymorphing)

And lastly, what kind of character would benefit from this the most? The first thing that comes to mind is a wizard, although you may need to give up some caster levels to gain some of the detection types.

Bushwhacked
2009-08-31, 10:32 PM
One of my favorites is if you pick up some sort of telepathy (I use mindbender from complete mage/arcane- i can never remember which- one level gets you 100ft. of telepathy) and then look into the mindsight (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Mindsight,all) feat. My current DM has ruled that darkstalker (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Darkstalker,all)also protects against this but it's sweet even with that.

I'll leave your second question for the more knowledgeable among us.

But the third I'm going to suggest an illusionist/ stealth user. Throwing down so many things that block your enemies sight to confuse them and then you being the only one that has that one trick that lets you see through the haze.

peacenlove
2009-08-31, 10:39 PM
Mindsight (gained via a feat, you need telepathy though)
Lifesense (wraiths have it by default, you gain it via a feat but iirc its a monstrous feat, you need 13 charisma and a non ability constitution)

Spells (most can be permanencied, rules can be found on the savage species suplement) can easily duplicate those abilities (check savage species and spell compendium for updated versions).

Alignment can also be sensed. Detect alignment spells do so as well as the supernatural abilities of some outsiders.

Also arcane sight and its greater sister spell can be counted as senses.

Lastly the truth revealed mystery from tome and magic is a cost free version of the true seeing spell and it can give you much additional information if the target has a low will save. Far sight, on the same path lets you combine this with unlimited distance scrying (and if you count "danger sense" as a valid sense the reflections of things to come mystery of the same path is identical to the foresight spell).

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-31, 10:40 PM
I really like the blindfold of true darkness: 9k, and it gives you blindsight to 30ft.

olentu
2009-08-31, 10:46 PM
Touchsight is another method of detection.

EnnPeeCee
2009-08-31, 10:49 PM
I'm liking the idea of Mindsight. I'll add that to my list.

Lifesense? I checked the wraiths in the MM, and didn't see it. Is it introduced somewhere else?
I guess I should also tack on all the detection spells (or if there is a way to gain those as non-spells).
Also, I'd prefer not to use ToM or ToB, forgot to mention that.

Ooh, an item that gives blindsight? Although, being a blindfold, it would probably block regular sight then.

peacenlove
2009-08-31, 10:55 PM
Check again (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/wraith.htm). TBH dread wraith has it (don't know why :smalltongue:) and the lifesense feat in Libris mortis gives a different kind of sense.

EnnPeeCee
2009-08-31, 10:59 PM
Check again (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/wraith.htm). TBH dread wraith has it (don't know why :smalltongue:) and the lifesense feat in Libris mortis gives a different kind of sense.

Aha, missed that.
I do like the one in LM though, that's unique.

peacenlove
2009-08-31, 11:16 PM
And lastly, what kind of character would benefit from this the most? The first thing that comes to mind is a wizard, although you may need to give up some caster levels to gain some of the detection types.

From my experience all those senses are close range (except if you use greater scrying and arcane eye (and its little brother mystery, Bend perspective), which transfers ALL your senses to the vision provided) so a character with strong initiative, mobility and skills that work best at close range would benefit the most. So IMO its wizard > sorcerer with items > rogues, scouts etc. (the aforementioned types) > "tanky" classes such as crusader and knight > all others.

Doc Roc
2009-09-01, 12:25 AM
Can't emphasize enough how good touchsight is. Mindsight is a really big deal, enough that people often one-dip mindbender to get qualified for it. There's also the utterly bizarre Mask of Visual Insight in the MIC that negates _ALL_ forms of concealment within 30 ft. And the Robe of Eyes, useful in some corner case situations as it is not technically a divination effect.

Arcane Sight and Arcane Sight, Greater probably also deserve mention in that you tend to get killed without them.

Funny story:
Remote Viewing is an awesome power.

Zaq
2009-09-01, 12:58 AM
Magic of Incarnum gives us Soulsight, which you can get with a feat. It is similar to but separate from lifesight. From the same book, the Necrocarnum Circlet lets you "unerringly detect undead creatures" within a certain range, which is "like blindsight but only applies to undead."

There's the "sighted" ability of psicrystals, which I believe is actually unique, though there may be something else that has it.

There's the deeper darkvision (I don't recall if it has another name) that devils get, letting them see through magical darkness. I know you can get that through several classes (including the Shadowcaster), or by being a Hellbred. There's probably some spell that lets you do that as well.

Would you count Arcane Sight under "Detect X?" It's like Detect Magic only better, so...

There's the Sense Elements ability of shugenja. Most people ignore it because it's terrible, but it does exist and it is, so far as I know, unique. There's also the Sense Void ability of the Void Disciple class, but that's just weird.

Certain creatures (the dream dwarf springs to mind) can see ethereal things without necessarily seeing invisible ones.

olentu
2009-09-01, 01:32 AM
Can't emphasize enough how good touchsight is. Mindsight is a really big deal, enough that people often one-dip mindbender to get qualified for it. There's also the utterly bizarre Mask of Visual Insight in the MIC that negates _ALL_ forms of concealment within 30 ft. And the Robe of Eyes, useful in some corner case situations as it is not technically a divination effect.

Arcane Sight and Arcane Sight, Greater probably also deserve mention in that you tend to get killed without them.

Funny story:
Remote Viewing is an awesome power.

Oh yeah I did not remember that funky mask but it is probably in part due to the fact that I mix up the crystal mask of insight with the crystal mask of visual insight.

Though in other news I just remembered the earth sense feat from races of stone that gives something like a much much worse version of tremorsense.

Edit: I think a similar ability also appears on the landshark boots soulmeld.

Wings of Peace
2009-09-01, 01:45 AM
Gate -> Elemental Weird -> Free action to ask question -> Free Action for it to Divine Answer -> Free Action for it to answer.

Quirp
2009-09-01, 03:56 AM
You could also go for the Nemesis feat in the BoED
I think it allows you to pinpoint the location of all your
favored enemies within 60ft.

EnnPeeCee
2009-09-02, 07:56 PM
Ok, I'm seeing lots of modes, so now, what is there to so with that? Any special strategies you can think of that requires pinpointing targets?

It would be possible to use a character that spams darkness and fog spells, then sneaks around and takes out enemies when they can't see.

awa
2009-09-02, 10:00 PM
I don't think any one has mentioned scent
Gnomes and half orcs can take scent with an optional rule but i don't remember where i saw it.
Totemists can get a weakened form of scent

characters who get bonuses against opponents who cant see them benefit a lot from this when combined with spamming darkens

Doc Roc
2009-09-02, 10:19 PM
God, I'm never gonna live down the Quantum Radar, am I?

So I found another a while ago. In Bastion of Lost Souls, in the back, there's a set of energons with a unique vision type called soulsight. It's very very good but I'm at a loss as to how to offer it to you.

Fixer
2009-09-03, 07:23 AM
So I found another a while ago. In Bastion of Lost Souls, in the back, there's a set of energons with a unique vision type called soulsight. It's very very good but I'm at a loss as to how to offer it to you.Polymorph into one?

JeenLeen
2009-09-03, 09:16 AM
I'm liking the idea of Mindsight. I'll add that to my list.

Lifesense? I checked the wraiths in the MM, and didn't see it. Is it introduced somewhere else?
I guess I should also tack on all the detection spells (or if there is a way to gain those as non-spells).
Also, I'd prefer not to use ToM or ToB, forgot to mention that.

Mindsight is in Lords of Madness, under the aberration race that inhabits bodies (Tlcherori, or something like that), IIRC.

Lifesense is also listed in Libris Mortis as a monstrous feat.

Emy
2009-09-03, 09:29 AM
Mindsight is in Lords of Madness, under the aberration race that inhabits bodies (Tlcherori, or something like that), IIRC.

Lifesense is also listed in Libris Mortis as a monstrous feat.

Tsochari? They're awesome.

Anyway, being a necropolitan wizard with a mindbender dip will get you access to Mindsight and Lifesense. Persistent dragonsight, superior darkvision and greater blindsight get you blindsense, blindsight, suprior low-light vision, and unlimited range darkvision.

Earth Sense gets you something close to tremorsense. I believe there's a feat in Sandstorm that actually gives tremorsense but I have to run