PDA

View Full Version : Zen Archer

Bushwhacked
2009-08-31, 11:02 PM
I've recently had fun building a new character based around the zen archery feat, the details of which I'll post below for your perusal in the hope that you'll give me a bit of a critique on it. I've never built a cleric outside of NWN2 before so I'm not exactly sure how the measures up against the standard pen&paper cleric. I have tried to avoid the massive CODzilla approach by avoiding taking persistent spell.

Notes when looking at the sheet you'll see I've renames things there as I've built it to fit into an Eberron game. The PRC is Seeker of the Misty Isle. The Bow is Bow of the Wintermoon with it's bane changed to undead.
Any values in brackets are designed to show the original value before being altered. Spells used are 'all day' buffs.

Rithia's background is that she has stepped away from her upbringing as an Aerenal elf due to her disagreeing that elves should push their life spans past their natural duration. She has moved to the mainland and taken up many of the traits associated with Khorvairian elves.
The split from her heritage had two major effects on her as a person. She has become dedicated to living her life to it's fullest, seeing and experiencing as many things as she can. Secondly she has become adamantly self reliant.

Anyway here's the sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=150154); hope you enjoy and the original picture is by jiuge (http://jiuge.deviantart.com/)at deviantart.

Eldariel
2009-08-31, 11:22 PM
Lacking DMM: Persistent Spell obviously makes life much harder since much of Cleric Archer's power comes from a number of normally short duration spells simultaneously in effect. And yeah, PnP Cleric compares well to the NWN2 Cleric - indeed, as someone so eloquently put, "PnP has CoDzilla, NWN2 just has Clericzilla".

Comparatively Cleric is better in NWN2 since everything else is so much worse in the game, but ultimately it doesn't matter outside PvP servers since the game is so ridiculously easy.

But yeah, seems like a solid build although Spell Compendium has a number of spells that would be of interest to you (Blessed Aim, Lesser Visage of the Deity, Lesser Holy Transformation, etc.).

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-08-31, 11:28 PM
Cleric is good, Archivist is better. Snag Ranger spells like Arrow Mind, Druid spells like Owl's Insight, and Adept spells like Polymorph. Use Dark Kowledge and Knowledge Devotion(CChamp) to get massive benefits to every arrow fired out of your Splitting bows. Then spend life turned into an Arrow Demon(MMIII, IIRC), dual-wielding bows and unleashing pointy death on anything around.

Optimystik
2009-09-01, 12:05 AM
Archivist is an excellent caster, but I wouldn't say it automatically beats Cleric at Zen Archery. For one you have the MAD to deal with (Archivists use INT and WIS, Clerics only need WIS) and ZA wants to pump WIS for the attack bonus and spells. For two, Archivists don't get Turn Undead, and a lot of the knowledge bonuses and whatnot you mentioned can be duplicated with some Divine Metamagic as Eldariel pointed out. And third, Archivists don't get heavy armor proficiency, while clerics do; since he won't be using a shield (unless he wields a sling) heavy armor could help quite a bit from low to mid levels.

sofawall
2009-09-01, 04:43 AM
Aren't there relatively low-cost ways to get Turn Undead, though? Like, a one level dip that doesn't lose casting?

Nohwl
2009-09-01, 12:20 PM
taking a level in sacred exorcist gets turn undead.

heymejack
2010-08-29, 08:24 AM
knowledge devotion is still good if you can spare the skill points and 1 feat slot. you don't need to pump intelligence, all you need is a 14 (+2) combined with 14 skill ranks knowledge, and you're assured +1 every fight, and get +5 on a natural 20. later, with int items, you get top bonus more often. still, with arcana, dungeoneering, the planes, nature, religion, AND local, thats a lot of skill points.

Vaynor
2010-08-29, 11:49 AM
The Red Towel: Thread necromancy.