PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite (or most hated) spell? (3.5)

TKXapathy
2009-09-01, 05:00 AM
Hey all, this is my first post here (not counting the one on the welcome thread) so HI! :smalltongue:

Well, as the title implies, what is your favorite or most hated spell in DnD 3.5? My favorites are the polymorph spells, you can practically defeat your enemy with a simple spell (but it is overpowered). My most hated are those save or die spells (death spells) and they are really irritating, I lost my character not once but twice to these spells (even after a resurrection) because of a bad roll.

Well, I'll leave the rest to you guys? what is your fave and most hated spell!

Dragon Elite
2009-09-01, 07:55 AM
Wish:smalltongue:

Foryn Gilnith
2009-09-01, 08:04 AM
Miracle:smalltongue:

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-01, 09:11 AM
Streamers!

Dienekes
2009-09-01, 12:56 PM
I don't have a favorite spell, my least favorite is the entire Polymorph line... buggering things.

arguskos
2009-09-01, 01:59 PM
Streamers!
ARGH HATE STREAMERS SO MUCH ARGH. :smalltongue:

Anyways, favorite spell is probably something fairly obscure, like toothed tentacle or mailed might of the magelords.

Least favorite is probably something like streamers or the orb of failure spells. :smallannoyed:

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-09-01, 02:22 PM
Prestidigitation.

vampire2948
2009-09-01, 02:26 PM
ARGH HATE STREAMERS SO MUCH ARGH. :smalltongue:

What are Streamers? I can't seem to find where its from...

My favourite is Prestidigitation.
Another good canditate would be Raise City.

Myou
2009-09-01, 02:37 PM
What are Streamers? I can't seem to find where its from...

My favourite is Prestidigitation.
Another good canditate would be Raise City.

Nor can I. Also, what's Raise City?

arguskos
2009-09-01, 02:39 PM
Streamers is from... Shining South, I believe?

Prestidigitation is a good one though. :smallamused:

Ashtagon
2009-09-01, 02:49 PM

It's like raise dead, only it works with cities. It's perfect for when the city has been hit by a raze city spell. Spell-casters are advised to check carefully for which of these two spells they are casting.

Draz74
2009-09-01, 04:13 PM
Favorite (mechanically) is Heroics.

Least favorite ... anything that breaks the game. Polymorph Any Object, Celerity, Polymorph, Shapechange, Gate, Holy Word ...

Boci
2009-09-01, 04:30 PM
Favorite (mechanically) is Heroics.

Least favorite ... anything that breaks the game. Polymorph Any Object, Celerity, Polymorph, Shapechange, Gate, Holy Word ...

I don;t nkow about celerity. As long as the casters aren't partial or fully immune to the daze affect I thinkits a fair swap.

Edit: My favourite spell? Greater arcane fusion. My least favourite? Probably teleport, unless someone houserules you can only teleport to teleportation circles.

Llama231
2009-09-01, 04:33 PM
I too, find Prestidigitation sufficiently amusing. :smallamused:

Also Shellinglah, or whatever that staff power-up spell is called. For no real reason.

Oh, and color spray, and the prismatic spells because of their effects.

Zeta Kai
2009-09-01, 05:20 PM
Favorite? Tough to say, really. There are many good ones. Enervation, magic missile, arcane mark... all great. My favorite though has to be prestidigitation. It's the best spell for infusing magic into a world. My players are very imaginative & witty folk, & they tend to have a lot of fun with this little cantrip. I tend to allow at-will cantrips in my games (except cure minor wounds), & this is the one that gets used more than any other.

My least favorite is equally difficult. There are many spells that are auto-banned in games I run. The polymorph family (except for sometimes alter self), time stop, mind blank... the really cheesy I-Win crap. My least favorite, though? I'd probably have to say gate. It is so ripe for abuse, you have to actually try not to break it. You can bypass so many problems with this, it's ridiculous. I've only had to end one campaign prematurely do to in-game problems, & it was ultimately due to gate being used to solve a world-ending threat without any player effort. Gate, as written, sucks.

deuxhero
2009-09-01, 07:03 PM
prestidigitation=fun

SurlySeraph
2009-09-01, 07:06 PM
Holy Word is my favorite. There's no counter-argument to it.
Least favorite? That's hard. Celerity always bothers me, as does Polymorph Any Object ("Okay, that table's a gold dragon now"), but there are some obscure spells with terrible fluff and pointless or overpowered effects out there that are pretty awful.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-09-01, 07:29 PM
I'd agree that my favorite would have to be prestidigitation. I don't ban any spells while I'm DMing (I just tell the players that anything the PCs use is fair game for NPCs, so sometimes there's a gentlemen's agreement and sometimes there's crazyness), so I don't really have any hated spells.

Zeta Kai
2009-09-01, 07:48 PM
I'd agree that my favorite would have to be prestidigitation. I don't ban any spells while I'm DMing (I just tell the players that anything the PCs use is fair game for NPCs, so sometimes there's a gentlemen's agreement and sometimes there's crazyness), so I don't really have any hated spells.

That viewpoint is what led to my previously-mentioned campaign-ending catastrophe. I allowed gate, so the the cleric PC chain-gated solars to fight the BBEG. The BBEG responded by chain-gating advanced balors. A second Blood War basically erupted on the Material Plane, right where the nation that the PCs were supposed to be protecting used to be. They were mercy-killed shortly thereafter in a TPK, dying in shame & grief over what they done. Gate is borked, & must be de-borked before it sees play at my table.

vampire2948
2009-09-01, 07:54 PM

Raise City is a spell that raises all the skeletons in a city from the dead to serve the caster.
The skeletons cannot move more than 10 miles from the city, and the city must have been dead and abandoned for at least 100 years.

I forget where its from.. some 3rd party necromancy book, I think.

Faleldir
2009-09-01, 08:31 PM
My favorite is Fly, because I like to play melee classes.

My least favorite is Forcecage. No save, no SR, completely indestructible, airtight, can't be dispelled, and lasts at least 26 hours. If I could ask the guy who designed it, I bet he'd say it's balanced because it doesn't do damage, and that he bans ToB and psionics from his games.

Zaydos
2009-09-01, 09:19 PM
My favorite spell would probably be any spell actually researched in game (just because that's always epic) or maybe even the simple Light spell; although I love the Moonbolt spell, 4th level spell that with 2 castings (one maximized) took out an 18th level lich and a 20th level warforged scout (the mini-warforged race) warlock that no one else in the party apparently could hit.
Least favorite: probably Polymorph any Object because that's just broken although I've yet to ban any specific spell (have banned whole books though).

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-09-01, 09:27 PM
That viewpoint is what led to my previously-mentioned campaign-ending catastrophe. I allowed gate, so the the cleric PC chain-gated solars to fight the BBEG. The BBEG responded by chain-gating advanced balors. A second Blood War basically erupted on the Material Plane, right where the nation that the PCs were supposed to be protecting used to be. They were mercy-killed shortly thereafter in a TPK, dying in shame & grief over what they done. Gate is borked, & must be de-borked before it sees play at my table.

It seems I failed to be clear. Once the PCs use something, it's fair game from that point on in other campaigns as well, so the PCs using gate once opens it up for all the bad guys (most likely before the PCs get it themselves). None of them have tried to use it yet.

Temet Nosce
2009-09-01, 09:36 PM
Hrmmm... Several possibilities.

Mind Rape
Apocalypse from the Sky
Glitterdust
Grease
Charm Person (I've had so much fun with this spell)
Minor Creation
Rope Trick
Glibness

Milskidasith
2009-09-01, 09:53 PM
So what does Streamers do? Probably illegal to actually tell us, isn't it... >_<

Anyway, I'd have to second Gate, or possibly Time Stop. Gate, at least, has a thin veil of trying to be balanced; if you don't chain gate things, all you have to do is remove the "serves no matter what, no save to disobey" thing, and, while not balanced, it's at least vaguely trying to be balanced with the EXP penalty.

Time Stop, however, is just obviously meant to be overpowered.

aje8
2009-09-01, 10:07 PM
Favorite Spell: Black Tentacles. So good, in so many situations. Hilarious with Sculpt Spell. Yes, that's right I've summoned small targted pockets of enourmous powerful tentacles. And it won the encounter.

Jane_Smith
2009-09-01, 10:17 PM
My favorite spell is a 3rd party one - its called Obliterate, plain and simple.

Basically, everything in a 60 foot cone in front of you? Is completely, and totally, 100%, not even a -particle of dust- left of them DESTROYED if they fail a fortitude save. Even then, all their objects, unless magical, are destroyed without a save. The very EARTH beneath their feet is even vaporized. Its just kinda like a concentrated oblivion in front of you. It just undoes the world in front of you.

Drawback? Takes 1 minute casting time and requires the essence of a orb of annilation within a custom made container, which costs about 50,000 gold. Perfect 9th level spell for busting down unattended magical gates, castle walls, keeps, or casting while invisible behind some BBEG and letting it go off under his feet - even if he saves, he takes fall damage >:3

I beleive it was a 9th level Evocation (Force) spell.

My least favorite would have to be Rope Tricks. Quite honestly I -still- dont get it.

Set
2009-09-02, 05:18 AM
Spells that inspire creativity, such as Prestidigitation or Bestow Curse.

Simulacrum is also a favorite, although it can be abused almost as readily as Polymorph any Object and Gate.

While I love to cast it as a player, I hate to deal with it as a DM; Evard's Black Tentacles.

Zeta Kai
2009-09-02, 08:49 AM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the awful game-grinding horror that is Mordenkainen's Disjunction. That spell has caused so much headache, boredom, & frustrated die-rolling.

"So, uh, now that I've rolled a saving throw for every single magic item on my person, & lost about half of them, what happens to my WBL?"

"Hold on a sec, I'm still calculating the NPCs' gear. Come back in about 20 minutes, okay?"

arguskos
2009-09-02, 09:03 AM
Eh, Gate isn't that aggravating for me, because we never have to deal with it really. Same with Time Stop and their overpowered cousins. My games never get to that level of power, so it's nothing crazy. I just violently dislike mid-range spells that are brokenly overpowered for their level, like the Orb series.

As for Disjunction, I tend to just go, "Ya'll, all your stuff is trashed. So is his. Roll Initiative." :smalltongue:

Streamers, by the way, creates a large number of incorporeal streamers that float around and deal 1d6/level untyped damage with touch attacks to anything in the area that takes ANY ACTION AT ALL. For example, speaking (defined as a free action) causes them all to activate and slam you for 1d6/level... each. Ugh. Hate it SO MUCH. It's a level 4 spell. Note that this is all from memory, so I'm not totally positive on everything. Still, pretty insanoid, no?

aje8
2009-09-02, 11:17 PM
{Scrubbed}

acheronavernus
2009-09-02, 11:27 PM
how is the orb series "brokenly over-powered" anyway. even with the 4th lvl orb spells its only 1d6 per lvl to 1 target via ranged touch. so if anything its underpowered.:smallconfused:

but i would have to say that my favorite spell is gate (sorry grazzt dude) if only because im usually a blatantly destructive caster who likes to unleash hordes of demons and kill lotsa peoples.:smallamused:

Optimystik
2009-09-02, 11:30 PM
Favorite: Gate

Least Favorite: Energy Drain! Energy Drain! Energy Drain!

Emy
2009-09-02, 11:30 PM
No mention yet of silent image?

arguskos
2009-09-02, 11:47 PM
{Scrubbed}
*sigh* No, I don't consider blasting overpowered. I consider the spells themselves, taken in a vacuum, to be overpowered, mostly because they do not have SR or saves, which they reasonably should. When something is SO good it outshines everything else in it's CATEGORY I dislike it. :smallannoyed:

Oh, and when did it become vogue to tell criticize someone else's personal opinions? I didn't ask for people to jump down my throat, nor is it appreciated. Thanks folks, love you too. :smallannoyed:

Emy
2009-09-02, 11:53 PM
*sigh* No, I don't consider blasting overpowered. I consider the spells themselves, taken in a vacuum, to be overpowered, mostly because they do not have SR or saves, which they reasonably should. When something is SO good it outshines everything else in it's CATEGORY I dislike it. :smallannoyed::

Okay, in one sentence, you're considering these spells in a vacuum. In the next, you're comparing them to other spells in their category.

Which are you doing?

Glyde
2009-09-02, 11:56 PM
Like: Icelance

Dislike: Phantasmal Killer

arguskos
2009-09-02, 11:56 PM
Okay, in one sentence, you're considering these spells in a vacuum. In the next, you're comparing them to other spells in their category.

Which are you doing?
If you look at it outside of a character sheet and as a simple comparison to benchmarks (what "in a vacuum" means in D&D after all, since everything is meaningless without comparison) it outclasses everything. Is this clear enough?

I will admit, my wording was overly verbose, and for that, I apologize. >_> I dislike having to clarify, but I AM tired. >_>

Optimystik
2009-09-02, 11:57 PM
*sigh* No, I don't consider blasting overpowered. I consider the spells themselves, taken in a vacuum, to be overpowered, mostly because they do not have SR or saves, which they reasonably should. When something is SO good it outshines everything else in it's CATEGORY I dislike it. :smallannoyed:

No, they shouldn't... they're instantaneous conjurations, so it makes no sense for them to behave like they aren't.

"Outshining everything in their category" brings them all the way up to not sucking. Let the blasters have their tools :smalltongue:

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-09-03, 12:04 AM
He doesn't hate them because they break the game, he hates them because they're no-save, no-SR Conjurations that make every other damage spell except maybe 2 look useless. Add SR, move them to Evocation, and they'd be balanced. As-is, there is no reason to take almost any other damage spell. Streamers, Wings of Flurry, and Maw of Chaos are the only exceptions, IMHO, and of those, one is Sorc-only, one is 9th level, and one was apparently written while high.

Jayngfet
2009-09-03, 12:21 AM
Charm, for when you want someone mindraped or sanctified for about two hours.

Optimystik
2009-09-03, 12:31 AM
He doesn't hate them because they break the game, he hates them because they're no-save, no-SR Conjurations that make every other damage spell except maybe 2 look useless. Add SR, move them to Evocation, and they'd be balanced. As-is, there is no reason to take almost any other damage spell. Streamers, Wings of Flurry, and Maw of Chaos are the only exceptions, IMHO, and of those, one is Sorc-only, one is 9th level, and one was apparently written while high.

The underpoweredness of the traditional damage spells (your standard fireball, lightning bolt, what have you) are the fault of those spells, and not the fault of the orbs. At high levels, everything and their mother will have SR, ungodly saves, evasion, incorporeality options, access to antimagic etc. So the blaster's choices are to: use orbs, don't blast, or be mediocre and barely effective. Only one of those lets him still do his job, and his player enjoy the game. You can blame orbs for that all you want, but they are the solution, not the problem.

Draz74
2009-09-03, 12:51 AM
You can blame orbs for that all you want, but they are the solution, not the problem.

They should still be Evocation. Blasting spells without SR is probably a good thing for balance ... but Conjuration? Really?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-09-03, 01:07 AM
The underpoweredness of the traditional damage spells (your standard fireball, lightning bolt, what have you) are the fault of those spells, and not the fault of the orbs. At high levels, everything and their mother will have SR, ungodly saves, evasion, incorporeality options, access to antimagic etc. So the blaster's choices are to: use orbs, don't blast, or be mediocre and barely effective. Only one of those lets him still do his job, and his player enjoy the game. You can blame orbs for that all you want, but they are the solution, not the problem.Orbs get around every defense. The only one that can't be beaten by an Orb is miss chance, and there are common ways around that. Everything dies to a halfway-decent Orbizard.

While IMHO win buttons are fine, you should at least need multiple ones, otherwise you're just a glorified attack macro.

Eldariel
2009-09-03, 01:14 AM
Orbs get around every defense. The only one that can't be beaten by an Orb is miss chance, and there are common ways around that. Everything dies to a halfway-decent Orbizard.

While IMHO win buttons are fine, you should at least need multiple ones, otherwise you're just a glorified attack macro.

That's mostly a problem with metamagic though. Cut Arcane Thesis and Incantatrix and those superorbs won't be around until way into Epic. 15d6 on level 15 isn't really breaking anything, and even for that, you need an energy orb. Orb of Force is just 10d6.

As for my own take, least favourite:
Divine Power - it's not even close! Take something that normally costs you all your levels to acquire, toss in some Str- and Temp HP-bonuses, put it to 4th level and call it a day. Wait, what?

If it didn't so blatantly say "**** you, Fighter", I wouldn't mind it. Like, if it just gave bigger To Hit/Damage bonuses or some such, no problem. But noo, it has to REPLACE YOUR BAB.

As for favourite, even though it's broken way, way beyond repair, I can't help but adore Polymorph Any Object. It allows changing types, improving your Int-score, overall combat polymorphing and it's permanent (yeah, yeah, it just takes a bit of work)!

Oh, and it ALSO replicates half a dozen other spells, such as Baleful Polymorph, Flesh to Stone, Stone to Flesh, Rock to Mud and so on. Oh, and it also can be used to create Humans. Yes, it's a spell that allows you to create a living creature.

Emy
2009-09-03, 01:17 AM
Orbs get around every defense. The only one that can't be beaten by an Orb is miss chance, and there are common ways around that. Everything dies to a halfway-decent Orbizard.

Energy immunity gained through various means? Absurd touch AC? Globe of invulnerability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/globeOfInvulnerability.htm)? Spellblades? Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil? Celerity + a wall? Regeneration + Diehard? Delay death? Winning initiative? Counterspelling (suboptimal, but it could probably counter an orb-only wizard)? Earth glide?

You're still rendered unconcious by nonlethal

Damn. I must have been thinking of something other than diehard. Whoops.

Not making a new post for this because this tangent has gone far enough, and I don't want this thread to get locked.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-09-03, 01:30 AM
Energy immunity gained through various means? Absurd touch AC? Globe of invulnerability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/globeOfInvulnerability.htm)? Spellblades? Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil? Celerity + a wall? Regeneration + Diehard? Delay death? Winning initiative? Counterspelling (suboptimal, but it could probably counter an orb-only wizard)? Earth glide?In order:
Energy Admixture(or Orb of Force)
Decent AB(since Touch AC is hard to boost to reasonable levels)
Heighten Spell
Can't find through Google
Works against anything
Works against anything, but then you get into celerity-battles
You're still rendered unconcious by nonlethal
Works against anything
Works against anything
Best method of counterspelling is direct damage, and the best way of dealing damage is more Orbs
Works against anything

Yukitsu
2009-09-03, 01:33 AM
Simulacrum is by far my favourite. The utter shenanigans I do with this spell knows no bounds.

Cyclocone
2009-09-03, 02:54 AM
Favorite spell? I guess that would have to be Karsus' Avatar...
well, really anything with "Target: one god" in it's entry.:smallbiggrin:

Most reviled spell? Probably Battel Magic Perception. I just can't quite wrap my mind around what they were thinking when they wrote that one.

JellyPooga
2009-09-03, 04:42 AM
My favourite has to be Clutch of Orcus...if only for the image of a Necromancer holding out a hand in a claw-like grip whilst the paltry adventurer clutches at his chest with a grimace of pain on his face, helpless to resist...and then the adventurer keeling over and the Necromancer chuckling evilly as the adventurers smoking heart appears in his hand.

I'm not a fan of literal save-or-die spells (Clutch of Orcus is technically one of these but the chances of anyone of equal ECL dying from it are very slim indeed)...there's just no fun in pointing a finger or uttering a word and your victim dropping dead on the spot. At least give them a chance of some kind beyond a single saving throw! I'm of the mind that with HP as such an abstract concept, almost every spell that hinders its target should deal HP damage of some kind and alterior effects should be lessened in their severity. But then again, I'm also of the mind that you should take some kind of penalty for having less than maximum HP (1/2, 1/4, etc.).

peacenlove
2009-09-03, 04:51 AM
Favorite spells:
Greater planeshift (escape/travel at its finest) (SC)
the Consume essence mystery (ToM) (nothing better than draining an opponent saves to below zero, then raising him as your servant with all his abilities, 50% of his spells and WITHOUT your debuffs!)
Reaving Dispel (Your spells are mine) (SC)
Divine Power (for "i feel like going to the front line now")
AVasculate (HP over 9000? no problem) (SC)
Energy drain / Enervation (Standard debuff spell)

Least favorite:
The Prismatic X line
Protection from X (and Circle)
Death Ward / Mind Blank (and in general immunity bestowing spells / mysteries)
Any spell with casting time above 1 round

Fizban
2009-09-03, 04:55 AM
rporeal streamers that float around and deal 1d6/level untyped damage with touch attacks to anything in the area that takes ANY ACTION AT ALL. For example, speaking (defined as a free action) causes them all to activate and slam you for 1d6/level... each. Ugh. Hate it SO MUCH. It's a level 4 spell. Note that this is all from memory, so I'm not totally positive on everything. Still, pretty insanoid, no?

Uh, what? I just looked it up and it only does 5d10 damage per hit, against one target +1 per some levels (stackable on one person). Still ridiculous but the one you're quoting is far off.

Incidentally, my favorite spell of the moment is Suspension, the next page after Streamers. It's basically Levitate, except at minimum caster level it lifts 3 1/2 tons for over a week. Now all you have to do is figure out what happens if you ride the stage that you just yanked up out of the theater, or the small ship you popped up out of the bay. Flight spells let the target carry using their normal capacity, so is that animated object or ship's cargo? In any case you should be able to sail it easily enough, as levitate only applies up to a -5 on attack rolls for "instability", not outright flipping upside down. Take a -5 penalty on shiphandling checks to sail a boat through the air? Yes please!

Hey, anyone have the weight of a Wall of Iron handy?

boomwolf
2009-09-03, 05:40 AM
Favorite, by far is Electric Vengence (and grater)
A must for anyspon-caster gish.

It goes like this:
"Die sorcerer!" *slash*
"Wrong move sucker!" *bzzzt*

Optimystik
2009-09-03, 09:31 AM
They should still be Evocation. Blasting spells without SR is probably a good thing for balance ... but Conjuration? Really?

I agree, conjuration didn't need MORE buffs. They may make sense in conjuration, but they make sense in evocation too, and evo needed the help more. But the Orbs themselves are fine.

woodenbandman
2009-09-03, 09:38 AM
Favorite: Dimension Door + Shadow Pounce

Least Favorite: Polymorph line. I love to use them, but I would never allow them if I were DM.

Irreverent Fool
2009-09-03, 09:56 AM
DATA EXPUNGED

Nobody mentioned it because that spell does not exist.

obnoxious
sig

9mm
2009-09-03, 10:23 AM
Spell Turning... nothing says loving like magic pong.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2009-09-03, 11:18 AM

Which are you doing?Hehe. Just in another thread for the harass factor ;). But atleast elderiel and woodenbandman (even if I totally disagree and shudder at shadow pouncing) are here. I'm here also now.

On topic: My favorite is Miracle. Spontaneous casting for 8 or below? Yes please. If the DM only lets this mechanically well-defined option through, I find the spell to be one of the few 9th level spells actually balanced. (Remember a DM can twist the xp part to screw over enterprising munchkins)

I hate hate hate Freedom of movement. A whole method of combat (a non-spellcasting kind, go figure) gets completely shut down by a low level spell. Why not one for hit point death, while we are at it... oh wait...

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-09-03, 03:51 PM
I hate Arrow Mind. Yeah, yeah, "it's magic", but AoOs don't make any sense with a weapon where each shot is calculated rather than a series of hits.

Drevius
2009-09-03, 05:24 PM
wu jen's decapitating scarf....because it was a scarf that decapitated people and i was a wu jen/ninja with a crimson scarf and it was just badass as all heck. Least favourite would be treeshape or liveoak or whatever that ranger spell is that turns you into a tree, darn that evil ranger thief....

evisiron
2009-09-03, 05:41 PM
Prestidigitation, hands down. My favourite use was trying to get a mayor type figure to hear us out.

"Imagine a large burly ogre trudging through a swamp. The heat and exertion has caused him to be covered in greasy malignant sweat that has formed a cocktail with the filth and muck in the deepest pits of his folds of flab, and has been stewing there for over a week...fermenting. Listen to what we have to say, or that taste will be on your tongue for the rest of your Pelor given life!"

:smallbiggrin:

Temet Nosce
2009-09-03, 05:49 PM
Hmm... Just realized I hadn't posted my most hated spell back when I did this. To be honest, while favorite was hard most hated is incredibly easy. See, I don't so much mind the broken spells, or even the SoDs, Gate, PaO, etc.

What do I have a serious issue with? Mordenkainen's Disjunction. Other spells may be imbalanced, poorly written, useless, irritating, or many other things... but this spell is flat out "game over, but feel free to waste thirty minutes figuring out how this ruined the campaign!"

I do have to admit it has one valid use though, albeit one that's barely mentioned in the text. Getting rid of AMFs.

Raging Gene Ray
2009-09-03, 05:54 PM
Divine Insight. A second level cleric spell that gives a bonus of 5 + Caster Level up to +15 to any skill check.

This means you can just burn a second level spell to stay at least somewhat on par with the rogue when it comes to search checks, open lock checks, or simply to boost your own class skills to ludicrous levels.

CockroachTeaParty
2009-09-03, 09:30 PM
My favorite spell: Sending.

It's always hilarious to try to say something meaningful in 25 words. I've had sessions where several minutes of two character sending Sendings to each other transpired, and it's always a hoot.

I also love the Contact Other Plane spell... it's mechanically suspenseful, possibly provides incorrect answers, is a great RP catalyst...

My least favorite spell: Revivify.

Yes... it doesn't slow down the game as much as Raise Dead and its ilk... but damn it! I can't tell you how many times I've killed a PC, and then the diligent cleric runs up and brings them back! EVERY TIME! Even if I try to isolate them, or separate them, somebody always teleports / throws / carries the cleric over in the nick of time. EERRG!

One of the reasons I hate it is that I'm hesitant to flat-out ban it. From a player perspective it's truly a life-saver, and it keeps the plot moving. But... I just want a little suspense, is all.

Also, I hate Wraithstrike, Polymorph, Dominate Person / Monster, and Celerity. Most of the above I ban, save the Dominates... they're kind of fun, but I've just got a moral issue with them. In my opinion, they should have the [Evil] subtype...

Emy
2009-09-04, 12:40 AM
Hmm... Just realized I hadn't posted my most hated spell back when I did this. To be honest, while favorite was hard most hated is incredibly easy. See, I don't so much mind the broken spells, or even the SoDs, Gate, PaO, etc.

What do I have a serious issue with? Mordenkainen's Disjunction. Other spells may be imbalanced, poorly written, useless, irritating, or many other things... but this spell is flat out "game over, but feel free to waste thirty minutes figuring out how this ruined the campaign!"

I do have to admit it has one valid use though, albeit one that's barely mentioned in the text. Getting rid of AMFs.

I agree with this completely. Disjunction is terrible and really shouldn't exist.

Jimbob
2009-09-04, 12:42 AM
Most loved as a player - Glitterdust
Most hated as a DM - Glitterdust

Akal Saris
2009-09-04, 12:45 AM
Favorite: Summon Monster XYZ, Planar Binding. I love the Conjurer archetype, especially once you can bind stuff for a long duration. Unfortunately I'm always DM, so I never get to play a high level conjurer :(

Least favorite: Dispel magic chains (ending with disjunction), identify. These are either time-consuming or cost the PCs extra hassle and cost.

Tiktakkat
2009-09-04, 12:02 PM
My favourite has to be Clutch of Orcus...if only for the image of a Necromancer holding out a hand in a claw-like grip whilst the paltry adventurer clutches at his chest with a grimace of pain on his face, helpless to resist...and then the adventurer keeling over and the Necromancer chuckling evilly as the adventurers smoking heart appears in his hand.

I like that spell simply because the one time I saw it in play my PC was hit with it, and after confirming the effect I looked across the table at the one other player I knew would appreciate it, and in stereo we both clutched our chests and intoned "I'm coming Elizabeth! This is the big one."
Any spell that let's you channel Redd Foxx is Cool (TM).

As for a spell I utterly despise, Power Word Pain in Races of the Dragon.
How does something like that get past everyone in R&D?

ericgrau
2009-09-04, 12:52 PM
Glitterdust isn't so bad, people just don't know the rules for fighting blind so it changes from an area SoS to a SoD/SoL.

Hmm, I hate comprehend languages. It's never turned out good for me. You gotta touch the object to be read, and a lot of times it's something special the DM doesn't want read, and then it hurts.

I love a lot of spells. Solid fog and wall of stone were old favorites for slowing down strategic areas or targets. A recent campaign is fairly 3D so feather fall has been crazy useful. In that same campaign spamming sleet storm to stop large numbers of baddies has been awesome; not to mention a blindfighting melee ally that I can hit without worry.

Gelondil
2009-09-04, 01:05 PM
Favorites - Grease & Wall of Force
Hated - The ones I don't have/can't cast.

Eldariel
2009-09-04, 01:49 PM
Glitterdust isn't so bad, people just don't know the rules for fighting blind so it changes from an area SoS to a SoD/SoL.

What makes you say people don't know the rules for fighting blind? 50% miss chance and having to determine the square to attack through auxillary means (Listen, guessing, auxillary senses) is pretty huge (and of course, negating invisibility is nice too). It's a level 2 Will-save targeting SoS which is why it's so insane. And of course, useful beyond words.

Deepblue706
2009-09-04, 01:53 PM
Transport via Plants (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/transportViaPlants.htm).

It's a much cooler way of teleporting.

Delaney Gale
2009-09-04, 02:15 PM
I hate Arrow Mind. Yeah, yeah, "it's magic", but AoOs don't make any sense with a weapon where each shot is calculated rather than a series of hits.

I have a love/hate relationship with Arrow Mind... wait a minute are you describing Arrow Mind as I know it? I thought it was "you don't incur attacks of opportunity while shooting at close range", or, "you get really good at dodging while you're aiming".

Love: I have a custom magic item called Asperiel's sniper's circlet, with continual arrow mind and sniper's shot, because it's just that good for a rogue-and-arrows.

Hate: It's the equivalent of an epic-level feat as a first-level spell.

Eldariel
2009-09-04, 02:28 PM
I have a love/hate relationship with Arrow Mind... wait a minute are you describing Arrow Mind as I know it? I thought it was "you don't incur attacks of opportunity while shooting at close range", or, "you get really good at dodging while you're aiming".

It also allows you to take AoOs within your natural reach with a ranged weapon, which is the source of Ssstoopid's objection. It does both. As an immediate action. Incredible spell.

Tyndmyr
2009-09-04, 02:41 PM
Love: Wish.

Hate: Wish. See also, burning.

Eldariel
2009-09-04, 02:50 PM
Hate: Wish. See also, burning.

Burning Wish (http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/cards/10243.jpg) or Burning Hate (http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l57/ASuperHero/evil.gif)?

Melamoto
2009-09-04, 02:52 PM
Hate: By far the most overpowered spell in the game, which I honestly can't believe Wizard let by. I am, of course, referring to Ray of Frost.

Kris Strife
2009-09-04, 03:02 PM
wu jen's decapitating scarf....because it was a scarf that decapitated people and i was a wu jen/ninja with a crimson scarf and it was just badass as all heck. Least favourite would be treeshape or liveoak or whatever that ranger spell is that turns you into a tree, darn that evil ranger thief....

You were playing Master Asia? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAizwLfZbUA

Favorite: Fist of Stone. What can I say, the idea of being able to beat anyone in a game of mercy appeals to me.

Least favorite: Disjunction

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-09-04, 03:47 PM
It also allows you to take AoOs within your natural reach with a ranged weapon, which is the source of Ssstoopid's objection. It does both. As an immediate action. Incredible spell.I don't care about the power. It's a Ranger spell, they could use the boost. I care about the AoOs with a BOW. Whoever wrote it had no understanding of the D&D system of rounds.

Eldariel
2009-09-04, 03:53 PM
I don't care about the power. It's a Ranger spell, they could use the boost. I care about the AoOs with a BOW. Whoever wrote it had no understanding of the D&D system of rounds.

Yeah, I got that much. Doesn't change the fact that it's an amazing spell tho.

Badgercloak
2009-09-04, 04:14 PM
I like Command and Spiritual Weapon.

I dislike none really.

FMArthur
2009-09-04, 05:16 PM
If psionic powers are included, Schism. It's just so awesome.

If just spells, Summon Monster III. Huge fiendish centipedes are hilarious at 5th level. Hell, I don't even like the Summon Monster IV list so I usually just summon 1d3 huge fiendish centipedes. I'm a bad summoner, I know. I really don't want to get into the maddening complexity of using the super-summon spells. I'm just looking for a quick meatshield, not a lifelong summoning focus. :smalltongue:

didub
2009-09-04, 05:40 PM
Love: Telekinesis. I once melted a giant skeleton to slag with a bag full of holy waters slung at him. I was awesome.

I also like combining obscuring mist with faerie fire.

Hate: Anything that makes you roll a saving throw for an item

Set
2009-09-04, 09:00 PM
The underpoweredness of the traditional damage spells (your standard fireball, lightning bolt, what have you) are the fault of those spells, and not the fault of the orbs.

It's primarily the fault of the changes between 1st/2nd editions and 3rd edition. An ancient worm red dragon used to have 88 hit points. Now they have 660. Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Cone of Cold, etc. don't do any more damage than they did back in 1st edition.

The scale of encounters changed to make damaging spells completely irrelevant compared to earlier editions.